PDA

View Full Version : Ice hockey in western Europe

Modano
07-10-2008, 02:01 PM
While the off topic conversation is amusing - what with the slippery, unbannable member and such- I can't believe anyone is defending the above statement. B/c one lives in Italy and watches/reads the local sports coverage it's ok to state "Almost 80% of people" in 5+ countries "don't even know what hockey is."??? Really???

"42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot." - Steven Wright

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain

"Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures." - Evan Esar

Since we were going off topic in the other thread...

C'mon man!! I was clearly exagerating! It isn't a statistic that I found in a newspaper. I said "80%" just to show that the majority of people here in western europe don't care about hockey, since someone said that hockey is the third most popular sport in Europe (when it's only that popular in Sweden, Norway, Finland and eastern Europe).

You have the right to think that I'm lying, but I guarantee that I've never met an ice hockey fan in my life outside of internet. I was the only ice hockey fan in my high school (which had 1000 students) and I haven't met an hockey fan so far in my 4 years at university.
I also guarantee that the three major italian sports magazine (Gazzetta, Corriere dello Sport and Sports Week) don't cover ice hockey events at all. They just report who win the stanley cup.
Also, in the most important italian site (and forum) about american sports, only thirty members are hockey fans.
Italy is composed of 20 "regioni" which are like the american states. Only in three of them ice hockey is played. At least 15 of them don't even have a place to play hockey.
During the olimpic games in Torino the annoucers can't even explain when a player goes offside.
And you can find the same situation in France, Spain, Portugal etc.

So, I said 80% just to state that ice hockey is one of the less popular sports in Italy and some of the other western european countries.

P.S.: sorry for the grammar but I don't have the time to re-read the entire post.

wicket
07-10-2008, 05:13 PM
I can only give you the situation in holland where icehockey is about the twentieth sport around in media coverage, everybody knows what it is (since field hockey, just called hockey here is wel known, the concept of ice hockey isn't that hard to grasp) but it is one of the smaller sports around. From what i notice around me you should indeed only look for european popularity in those sports in the scandinavian countries and russia, the czech republic and soforth.
If i should rank it in size within the whole of europe it would probably be somewhere between 6 and 10. At least behind football, golf, tennis, athletics, cricket, basketball, volleyball and probably rugby. I might have left out a couple of sports.

UKfan
07-11-2008, 05:25 AM
Pretty much the same as what wicket says, we have an ice hockey league, but it is way way way down the list of sports here. Soccer, Rugby, Tennis, Golf, Crickter, Athletics, Basketball, Darts (If you count that), Snooker, Motor Racing are all ahead. Hell I can't name a player from our league.

Modano
07-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Pretty much the same as what wicket says, we have an ice hockey league, but it is way way way down the list of sports here. Soccer, Rugby, Tennis, Golf, Crickter, Athletics, Basketball, Darts (If you count that), Snooker, Motor Racing are all ahead. Hell I can't name a player from our league.

That's exactly what I was trying to explain in the other thread...
Here in Italy the list of sports is something like that:

1. Soccer
2. Soccer
3. Soccer
4. Soccer
5. Soccer
6. Basketball
7. Moto GP and Formula 1
8. Volleyball
9. Athletics
10. Swimming

Gay Ork Wang
07-11-2008, 01:38 PM
wait the top 10 is not full of Soccer?

In germany its

1. Soccer
2. Formula 1
3. Handball
4. Basketball
5. Prolly Ice Hockey

Modano
07-11-2008, 01:51 PM
wait the top 10 is not full of Soccer?

In germany its

2. Formula 1

Michael Schumacher! He's the Formula 1.

wicket
07-11-2008, 02:16 PM
prolly gotta give alpine skiing a bit of love as well for the whole of europe, pretty big in the mountainious countries

adschofield
07-11-2008, 02:34 PM
What exactly is athletics

UKfan
07-11-2008, 02:43 PM
What exactly is athletics

Track and field.

Bosanac01
07-11-2008, 09:22 PM
In bosnia its...

1. soccer
2. boxing/mma