PDA

View Full Version : Car Help!

scottyboy
07-10-2008, 06:26 PM
ok boys, scotty's looking for a car. Probably used as money isn't abundent. Looking mainly for compact/mid-size SUV's. Nice combo of bigger manly car(i'm more comfortable driving big cars anyway) that can fit my big stick(lacrosse D-pole, duh!) but isn't totally killer on gas like my parents surburban.

Any ideas? Just some names of cars and/or experiences with some of these types of cars. Help is greatly appreciated

Turtlepower
07-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Try a VW Golf.

iowatreat54
07-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I have a Toyota 4Runner that's great, dunno if that's the type of SUV you are looking for, it's not huge but it's like the size of an Explorer and is very reliable and gets pretty good gas mileage for an SUV

AllDayFootball724
07-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Try a mini van or chevy makes some odd small compact suv, so does pontiac

jayceheathman
07-10-2008, 06:32 PM
ok boys, scotty's looking for a car. Probably used as money isn't abundent. Looking mainly for compact/mid-size SUV's. Nice combo of bigger manly car(i'm more comfortable driving big cars anyway) that can fit my big stick(lacrosse D-pole, duh!) but isn't totally killer on gas like my parents surburban.

Any ideas? Just some names of cars and/or experiences with some of these types of cars. Help is greatly appreciated

Whats your price range? Are hybrids a consideration?

jballa838
07-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Used Honda Element?

scottyboy
07-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Whats your price range? Are hybrids a consideration?

Hybrids are fine really, no preference there. Mainly around $7,000-8,000. Not much of a range, but looking at just used cars really.

iowatreat54
07-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Hybrids are fine really, no preference there. Mainly around $7,000-8,000. Not much of a range, but looking at just used cars really.

what's your idea of good gas mileage and are you looking like Jeep size, Explorer size, Rav4 size, etc.?

terribletowel39
07-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Would you prefer a SUV??
i would suggest just going onto craigslist.com and looking around there. if you live in a heavily populated area, you are golden. there is 1000 of post a day.

jayceheathman
07-10-2008, 06:41 PM

For a used SUV around $7,000-8,000 it will probably be around 100,000 miles. I found an 02 Trailblazer for $7,000 on Yahoo. You can go to Yahoo Autos, click used cars, put in your zip code, and then put in the price range and it will give you a list. I found an '01 Expedition with 86,500 miles on it for $7600.

scottyboy
07-10-2008, 06:42 PM
sounds good jay, I'll check that out. I've been using cars.com.

Not really sure what I want, just a biggER car for my lacrosse stick but not a Hummer or Suburban type

iowatreat54
07-10-2008, 06:46 PM

Not really sure what I want, just a biggER car for my lacrosse stick but not a Hummer or Suburban type

honestly, from when I was looking for a car last year, I would steer clear of used Blazers, any 4Runners pre-1996, or most used Dodge Durangos...I really only know about those sized SUVs, and used Blazers (like pre-2001 ish) and any used Durangos really are supposedly terrible as far as things breaking down and the wear and tear really gets to them I guess

terribletowel39
07-10-2008, 06:46 PM
I just bought like 3 months ago, a 1988 Cheverolet Suburban off of this guy from craigslist for 2 g's in really good condition, had radar detector and CD player, wired ready for an amp and sub if i wanted to but yea. i'm telling you check that place out. you can find deals on there. someone just needing to get rid of the car cuz they have another bill to pay stuff like that.

jayceheathman
07-10-2008, 06:48 PM

I have an 2000 Expedition and it runs great still although I dont know about Trailblazers or Durangos.

iowatreat54
07-10-2008, 06:48 PM
oh, and make sure you check the car out first and even though it isn't free, see if you can get a Carfax before you buy...don't jump into buying a car just because it seems like a really great deal and/or the person "needs to get rid of it now" don't feel like you have to rush into it

I have an 2000 Expedition and it runs great still although I dont know about Trailblazers or Durangos.

just from things I read and opinions of others I found that both Blazers and Durangos seem to be extremely problematic if they are over like 5 years old, so they really aren't worth the investment IMO

scottyboy
07-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Looked for a bit on craigslist an found an Isuzu trooper 1999 for about $5,000. Any one know about these cars? any advice on them?

and jay, expedition's intruige me very much. How's the gas mileage?

iowatreat54
07-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Looked for a bit on craigslist an found an Isuzu trooper 1999 for about $5,000. Any one know about these cars? any advice on them?

and jay, expedition's intruige me very much. How's the gas mileage?

all I know about Isuzu Troopers is that they are very reliable, don't remember if repairs/parts cost much, and is very good as far as wear and tear...I'm guessing it has about 120K+ miles on it, which is still good shape for Troopers

familyguy555
07-10-2008, 07:06 PM
look at a Dodge Nitro. there pretty sweet cars.

BlindSite
07-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Suzuki Sierra

fischbowl
07-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Look into the Suburu Forester

Brent
07-10-2008, 08:23 PM
my civic has a massive trunk, I think you can fit a d-pole in there.

Bills2083
07-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Maybe a....
-Ford Escape
-Toyota Rav 4

kwilk103
07-10-2008, 09:01 PM
my suv cost me $40 to fill up 3/4 a tank

try to stay away from suv

PackerLegend
07-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Scotty what type of gas mileage are you trying to achieve with this vehicle. I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer... 130,000 miles with leather, heated seats, 4 wheel drive, 4 door, looks new. I got it for around $5500 2 years ago when it always ran great and mid size Suvs/ Suvs were valued more... Suppose to get 16 MPG city 20 MPG highway but right now it isnt running great and im getting about 14.5 MPG... ya I better get it fixed. Otherwise when she runs good its an amazing truck that.

Make sure you get what you want and at good price. If gas prices keep rising it will be worth about nothing when your done with it. Pictures can lie easily and obviously so can the seller... make sure you dont buy anything with problems and if the seller goes off about how alot of crap has been replaced ask for paper work. obviously tires and **** like that you can tell from visual inspection.

PackerLegend
07-10-2008, 09:16 PM

Exact same here every car vehicle will cost that much to fill up depending on the size of the tank. Cost my brother with an 07 Silverado $95 bucks to fill up. Its not the cost of filling up its how often you have to do it. Staying away from Suvs is a decent idea unless you want to pull or haul stuff. Id say if you can get 20-30 MPG Suv your doing good until gas rises more.

PalmerToCJ
07-10-2008, 09:43 PM

Because they have huge tanks... It's frequency that hurts you.

Sounds like you're looking for a Chevy Trailblazer, Ford Escape, Jeep Cherokee or a Toyota 4 Runner. I always say stick with the GM/Ford/Chrysler/Honda/Toyota cars. They're reliable but whenever something does go wrong, they mix and match parts so much that they're abundant and don't cost a ton to get used stuff.

Bosanac01
07-10-2008, 09:53 PM
gas prices going up scotty

Try getting your stick in this

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/smart-car-1.jpg

Hey the color is right ;)

kwilk103
07-10-2008, 10:50 PM
forgot that i fill up every 2 weeks in the summer (go to my job 5 miles away, and to friends house)

during school its like every 10 days...annoying

awfullyquiet
07-10-2008, 11:28 PM

don't get an suv. you're wasting your money. when gas rises to 5.50 a gallon, it doesn't matter what SUV you have. you won't be able to drive it. get a wagon. a subaru forester, a mercury sable/ford taurus wagon, vw passat/jetta wagon, hell. you could probably find a dodge magnum floating around for 8-9k. especially a little later in the year after the 09's come out.

suv's are the worst handling, unsafe pieces ever. please. do yourself a favor and avoid getting them. i don't want to bring out the millions of articles again, but, you're honestly better off with a wagon for reliability, safety, size, and not a gas hog.

PackersLegend does have it right, if you're not pulling stuff. don't get a truck or suv. and, it's not like SUV's are even that good for pulling stuff unless you go on vacation, and are taking six people with you. and then, that's probably straining the engine of the SUV to pull a trailer. hence why you don't see SUV's pulling too many campers on the road.

if you really HAFTA get a suv. get a toyota rav4. honda crv, they get 20+ mpg and can fit a bunch.

terribletowel39
07-11-2008, 10:04 AM

if i am all the way on empty i can put 100 bucks into my tank and it will fill it up to 3/4 a tank. feel lucky.

Brent
07-11-2008, 10:09 AM
if i am all the way on empty i can put 100 bucks into my tank and it will fill it up to 3/4 a tank. feel lucky.
Why would you purchase a vehicle if it guzzles that much gas?

terribletowel39
07-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Why would you purchase a vehicle if it guzzles that much gas?
strictly need basis. as soon as i am done paying it off which should only be a few more months, i am getting a scooter/vespa for most of the driving.

and i live so close to where i work, i can fill it up which takes about 120-130 to completely fill it up and it will last me almost 2 and half weeks. so in all actuality it isn't that bad because i know many people that drive civics and toyotas but they work so far away they fill up twice a week and now it even takes 50 bucks to fill up cars. so they end up spending 150-200 every two weeks while i am just doing 130.

yes, i know it will be a different story when i am going on a trip and what not but for what it is used for now, its needed AND i don't drive THAT much.

yourfavestoner
07-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Would you prefer a SUV??
i would suggest just going onto craigslist.com and looking around there. if you live in a heavily populated area, you are golden. there is 1000 of post a day.

Craigslist FTW!

SuperKevin
07-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Craigslist FTW!

The only site where you can find your new job, house, and genital herpes all in the same place.

awfullyquiet
07-11-2008, 10:33 AM
The only site where you can find your new job, house, and genital herpes all in the same place.

and a fake WiiFit

scottyboy
07-11-2008, 02:54 PM
I did go to craigslits and found a person selling a 1999 Isuzu Trooper. Turns out, the person lives in the next town. The downside, it seems this person doesn't speak English very well from the e-mails we've exchanged with phrases like: "My car everything it good" and "thank you for your interseting my car" so we'll see haha

thanks to everyone, everything helps.

and aq, I may look into smaller cars. It's not like I'll be towing anything around. Just need something that has that little part that connects to the trunk I can feed my lax stick through or whatever

thule
07-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Depending on how good of a deal you can find I think a Dodge Calibur would be right up your alley as far as what your looking for...it's a SUV...has 3rd row seating...is newer...relatively cheap....gets over 30 mpg...just throwing it out there.

http://www.autobytel.com/images/2007/Dodge/Calibur_SRT4/400/2007_Dodge_Calibur_SRT4_exfrdrvr34.JPG

Brent
07-11-2008, 03:37 PM
I did go to craigslits and found a person selling a 1999 Isuzu Trooper. Turns out, the person lives in the next town. The downside, it seems this person doesn't speak English very well from the e-mails we've exchanged with phrases like: "My car everything it good" and "thank you for your interseting my car" so we'll see haha

thanks to everyone, everything helps.

and aq, I may look into smaller cars. It's not like I'll be towing anything around. Just need something that has that little part that connects to the trunk I can feed my lax stick through or whatever
just about every car nowadays has a fold down backseat or one that you can have a hole through. I am pretty sure every Civic is like that, mine is and you should be able to find a cheap used one.

awfullyquiet
07-11-2008, 03:48 PM

wagons are also good for 'laying down in back'.

thule
07-11-2008, 03:50 PM
wagons are also good for 'laying down in back'.

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50294676/Bronco_Wood_Frame_Wagon.jpg

Us Caucasians have a little more problems trying to get our longer bodies into small things unlike you people.

awfullyquiet
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50294676/Bronco_Wood_Frame_Wagon.jpg

Us Caucasians have a little more problems trying to get our longer bodies into small things unlike you people.

have you ever tried sleeping in back of a wagon (not radio flyer, you silly duck)?

thule
07-11-2008, 04:05 PM
have you ever tried sleeping in back of a wagon (not radio flyer, you silly duck)?

It wasn't a radio flyer...straight up home made

http://home.avvanta.com/~wayule/graphics/sad_house.jpg

PackerLegend
07-11-2008, 04:14 PM
gas prices going up scotty

Try getting your stick in this

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/smart-car-1.jpg

Hey the color is right ;)

Just saw a yellow one of those. They look awful and I cant imagine they would hold up well in a crash.

thule
07-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Just saw a yellow one of those. They look awful and I cant imagine they would hold up well in a crash.

Reminds me of bumpercars :S

awfullyquiet
07-11-2008, 04:17 PM

The point is. You'd hold up.

scottyboy
07-11-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't think I could fit in one of those cars, let alone my lax stick. not to mention me AND my lax stick :O lol

Bosanac01
07-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Buying a SUV is not a bad idea if you think about it. Most of you guys would say you know the gas prices are high and going up, but the prices on SUVs have dropped because of this. So you can get a good deal on an SUV for a cheaper price then usual.

Brent
07-11-2008, 07:08 PM
according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety it has their highest rating for crash safety.

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 07:11 PM
i don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Subaru's are pretty nice. they were real popular back where I grew up because they weren't as hard on gas as a big SUV but were still all wheel drive for the bad winters.

scottyboy
07-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Anyone drive a Hyundai Sonata? Found a pretty good deal on a 2002 one for about 4,900. Just under 89,000 miles too. I'm looking at it, not sure, just trying to get opinions

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Anyone drive a Hyundai Sonata? Found a pretty good deal on a 2002 one for about 4,900. Just under 89,000 miles too. I'm looking at it, not sure, just trying to get opinions

I don't drive one but one of the girls i'm rooming with next year does and its been nothing but problems...she paid 5000 for it i believe and its not that old and didn't have that many miles....and she's probably already had to put 5000 back into it on all the little things that have gone wrong with it.

Hers is a Tiburon so i don't know if its just that model...but i'd put it in the maybe pile

Brent
07-11-2008, 08:04 PM
my aunt has a Kia and she has nothing but good things to say about it, if that helps. Honda, Toyota and Nissan are pretty safe brands, too.

TheBuffaloBills
07-11-2008, 08:59 PM
I currently drive a Pulse...... Seriously I do.

http://www.motormontgomery.com/images/pulsejet/PULSE03.JPG

Bosanac01
07-11-2008, 09:26 PM
^^^ wtf you drive that?

that thing looks like it can fly.

SuperKevin
07-12-2008, 04:16 AM
I currently drive a Pulse...... Seriously I do.

http://www.motormontgomery.com/images/pulsejet/PULSE03.JPG

No way you drive that in Buffalo. That thing would be a death machine during your 7 month winters