PDA

View Full Version : Bears give Lovie a new contract

FloridaFootball
02-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Bears | L. Smith receives five-year deal
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:51:34 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith has agreed to a new five-year contract with the team. The new deal gives Smith a major raise in pay, but exact terms were not disclosed. The team is expected to announce the deal Thursday, March 1.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

The Unseen
02-28-2007, 08:17 PM
'bout time.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2007, 08:18 PM
See...and everyone was pooping out their mouths over this.

It's not a big deal, it's never been a big deal, and it wouldn't have been a big deal untill September. It was just something for the media to talk about at a time when there is nothing else.

Glad to see the deal get done, and I'm glad that it was five years, I fully expect Lovie to be here for at least those next five.

GB12
02-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Good move.

niel89
02-28-2007, 08:19 PM
good he is a really good coach and deserved to get a new contract

bearsfan_51
02-28-2007, 08:21 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-070228lovie,1,334819.story?coll=cs-bears-headlines

ANNNNNND the BEST part is that Jerry Angelo (aka Jesus in a Suit) got an extension untill 2013. Jerry Angelo should be the GM for life as far as I'm concerned.

Geo
02-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Excellent news.

I wasn't sure the deal would get done, and was planning on seeing Smith in Giants' blue a year from now. But it's Bears' Blue for Lovie Smith, as it should be.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Per Glazer, the deal is worth $22.5 million over four years, which works out to an average of $5.5 million per year. It's unclear whether and to what extent Smith received a raise over his $1.45 million salary for 2007.

Because this is techincally a contract extension, and PFT.com is full of morons, the $ per year equals out to about $4.8 million per year because it is an additive onto the last year of his deal. Rumors were that the Bears wanted 4 and Lovie wanted 5, glad to see both sides nudged a little.

moc182
02-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Very glad to see this, Lovie's one of the best in the business and he deserves to be payed accordingly.

49erfaithful
02-28-2007, 08:29 PM
The Bears finally gave this man the money and credit he diserves

bearsfan_51
02-28-2007, 08:31 PM
The Bears finally gave this man the money and credit he diserves

They never didn't give him the credit he deserves. The contract he got back in 2004 was fair value for a guy with no head coaching experience. Once he produced they gave him his money. This was and always has been a media creation. It's nothing.

sweetness34
02-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Phillips you are now on my good side again!

RaiderNation
02-28-2007, 08:34 PM
about time damn.

T-RICH49
02-28-2007, 08:34 PM
about his time he got paid what he deserved

bigbluedefense
02-28-2007, 08:40 PM
See...and everyone was pooping out their mouths over this.

It's not a big deal, it's never been a big deal, and it wouldn't have been a big deal untill September. It was just something for the media to talk about at a time when there is nothing else.

Glad to see the deal get done, and I'm glad that it was five years, I fully expect Lovie to be here for at least those next five.

Damn, looks like you guys are gonna be doomed in Cover 2 suckdom for a long time....

.....jk

SFbear
02-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Da Bears. Bring on the draft.

PACKmanN
02-28-2007, 08:57 PM
wow all 3 teams in the north run the cover 2, if we design our offence to beat that scheme we might get into the playoffs every year.

bigbluedefense
02-28-2007, 09:00 PM
wow all 3 teams in the north run the cover 2, if we design our offence to beat that scheme we might get into the playoffs every year.

Ironically, the Packers run the WCO....the offense that the Cover 2 is designed to beat.

Windy
yea the organization is going downhill. :rolleyes:

art vandelay
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-070228lovie,1,334819.story?coll=cs-bears-headlines

ANNNNNND the BEST part is that Jerry Angelo (aka Jesus in a Suit) got an extension untill 2013. Jerry Angelo should be the GM for life as far as I'm concerned.

Were'nt there groups which lobbied to fire Jerry Angelo just last offseason? Bears fans seriously wanted his head because he didn't make many moves in Free Agency.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Ironically, the Packers run the WCO....the offense that the Cover 2 is designed to beat.
Which is part of the reason why the Bears hired Lovie in the first place, his record against the Packers while at Tampa and St.Louis.

So far so good.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Were'nt there groups which lobbied to fire Jerry Angelo just last offseason? Bears fans seriously wanted his head because he didn't make many moves in Free Agency.

I know of no such groups, but it wouldn't shock me. There is a site promoting the firing of Angelo, but now it's almost never updated (suprise suprise) and when it is it's always positive stuff now. I ******* hate those idiots.

bigbluedefense
02-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Which is part of the reason why the Bears hired Lovie in the first place, his record against the Packers while at Tampa and St.Louis.

So far so good.

It really was a match made in heaven. The best piece of your defense, Brian Urlacher, is built for the Cover 2. He's the perfect Cover 2 ILB. You had a good speedy end and upgraded the other end position in FA. All you needed was a Tommie Harris to make it click, and that was done.

The only negative is the wear and tear of the SS position in this scheme has really taken its toll on Mike Brown. I think with the safety depth in this draft, that can be fixed quickly.

I think every Cover 2 team should have solid depth at the SS position. Its too instrumental of a position in that scheme to have poor depth in. Especially since its rather common for your SS to get injured over the course of a 16 game season.

art vandelay
02-28-2007, 09:05 PM
I know of no such groups, but it wouldn't shock me. There is a site promoting the firing of Angelo, but now it's almost never updated (suprise suprise) and when it is it's always positive stuff now. I ******* hate those idiots.

Yes, that's what it was, a website. I think a user had it in his sig last year, with a sig saying "Fire Angelo" to compliment it. He's probably eating alot of crow right now.

RexGrossmans-cheesecake
02-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Wow, this is awesome. I saw it one FOX news and did a cute little jump for joy. Me love Lovie long time

yourfavestoner
02-28-2007, 09:06 PM
This got blown out of proportion because people don't understand how negotiation works.

And I love Jerry Angelo AND Ted Thompson, by the way (two GMs who took a lot of heat from their fanbases early in their tenure).

Smooth Criminal
02-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Thank God. Lovie deserves every cent of it.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Yes, that's what it was, a website. I think a user had it in his sig last year, with a sig saying "Fire Angelo" to compliment it. He's probably eating alot of crow right now.
That was Dafan, he wasn't mad about the lack of FA activity, he was mad cause he didn't like the draft.

Devin Hester and Mark Anderson pretty much made him hide in a corner somewhere.

BiggerFoot
02-28-2007, 09:12 PM
finally Chicago, if they did not step up their franchise would be heading in the wrong direction by not giving their coach what he deserves.
Props to Lovie Smith good things come to those who wait

art vandelay
02-28-2007, 09:13 PM
That was Dafan, he wasn't mad about the lack of FA activity, he was mad cause he didn't like the draft.

Haha, yeah a Pro Bowler and the runner up to rookie defensive player of the year is an awful draft.

Shiver
02-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Great news. The Bears would've killed their future if they let their frugality take over. Lovie, Angelo to a different extent, deserved to get paid. Not only do they keep him, they send a good message.

bigbluedefense
02-28-2007, 09:16 PM

Can you guys do the rest of the country a favor and take Jay Mariotti to an alley and beat him senseless?

K?

Thanks in advance.

Shiver
02-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Can you guys do the rest of the country a favor and take Jay Mariotti to an alley and beat him senseless?

K?

Thanks in advance.

Exactly. I wish Ozzie didn't apologize, that guy is a ***.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2007, 09:20 PM
He just apologized for using the word (which he should have), everyone knows Mariotti is a *****.

He's a very close second behind Salisbury in terms of my hate for sportscasters.

Hurricane Ditka
02-28-2007, 10:31 PM

Ironically even further, the WCO was designed to beat the 46.

TitleTown088
02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Good.........

TitleTown088
02-28-2007, 10:35 PM
This got blown out of proportion because people don't understand how negotiation works.

And I love Jerry Angelo AND Ted Thompson, by the way (two GMs who took a lot of heat from their fanbases early in their tenure).
TT still takes ALOT of heat from packers fans.

NickBam
02-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Wooooooooo

sweetness34
02-28-2007, 11:37 PM
He just apologized for using the word (which he should have), everyone knows Mariotti is a *****.

He's a very close second behind Salisbury in terms of my hate for sportscasters.

A ***** who paints on his eye brows.

blkwdw13
02-28-2007, 11:46 PM
It really was a match made in heaven. The best piece of your defense, Brian Urlacher, is built for the Cover 2. He's the perfect Cover 2 ILB. You had a good speedy end and upgraded the other end position in FA. All you needed was a Tommie Harris to make it click, and that was done.

The only negative is the wear and tear of the SS position in this scheme has really taken its toll on Mike Brown. I think with the safety depth in this draft, that can be fixed quickly.

I think every Cover 2 team should have solid depth at the SS position. Its too instrumental of a position in that scheme to have poor depth in. Especially since its rather common for your SS to get injured over the course of a 16 game season.

Angelo has said that safety is his biggest concern.

niel89
02-28-2007, 11:50 PM
A ***** who paints on his eye brows.

you have Raphael spelled wrong in you sig.:D

and Donatello was more productive.

Shiver
02-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Leonardo is the best, shut up.

yourfavestoner
03-01-2007, 12:48 AM
TT still takes ALOT of heat from packers fans.

I don't understand why. He inherited a team that was ravaged by the salary cap from Sherman. He's turned a gutted roster and has made it more one of the competetive younger teams. The Pack have a bright future if their young talent develops.

sweetness34
03-01-2007, 12:54 AM
you have Raphael spelled wrong in you sig.:D

and Donatello was more productive.

Good catch.

TitleTown088
03-01-2007, 01:05 AM
I don't understand why. He inherited a team that was ravaged by the salary cap from Sherman. He's turned a gutted roster and has made it more one of the competetive younger teams. The Pack have a bright future if their young talent develops.

Because many Packers fans are stupid and have no patience. They are too used to winning all the time and have to realize for longterm success TT is the way and our light in the dark.