PDA

View Full Version : Things banned from your elementary/middle school

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I think we all went through the fads that ended up getting banned from our elementary schools and middle schools when we were younger. Thought it'd be interesting to see what all there was between us all.

When I was in like 3rd/4th grade, pogs were banned.

Around that same time "poppers" as we called them were banned. I don't know what they were actually called but they were little suction cup like things that you pushed inside out and set down on a table and they popped up in the air. Came in a bunch of different colors and you could trade in like 5 tickets for one of them at Boardwalk Boulevard. (my area's crappier version of like a Chucky Cheese) They were banned after some kids found out you could stick them to your face and it made you look like you had a hickey. Kids did it before school pictures and....that was the end of that, lol.

Then in like 5th/6th grade, pretty much everything Pokemon was banned, especially the cards. They bit the dust after some kids parents complained of their kids doing unfair trades and crap....I lol'd. When you wanted to trade them you basically had to do it like a drug deal on the playground. Find some far off corner and swap them before the outside duty ladies could catch you.

Oh, and real footballs were banned for quite a while. Dunno if some kid hurt his eye or lost a tooth or something, but for a while we were only allowed to use nerf footballs which sucked...

Anyone else have some to add?

fenikz
07-11-2008, 02:02 PM
we couldn't hang out in groups of over 3 people, it was considered gang like activity

adschofield
07-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this on IRC last night, but...

At my elementary school, Pokemon was banned because the older kids were forcing the younger kids to make unfair trades with them...Or so the school claimed...

Edit: It seems my school wasn't the only one

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 02:08 PM
we couldn't hang out in groups of over 3 people, it was considered gang like activity

good god....did you to school in Harlem or something? wow

JF4
07-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Mini-sticks were banned because someone was cut right above the eye in a heated game.

And also Pokemon cards were banned because people would always steal them.

fenikz
07-11-2008, 02:27 PM
good god....did you to school in Harlem or something? wow

it was a poor area but nothing like compton or anything

UKfan
07-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Only thing I can think of is Pogs, oh and the game british bulldog lol.

The_Dude
07-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I would like to say that i teach History at a middle school in MN and as teachers we are able to bring in weapons to show students. I bring in a Japanese rifle that my grandpa was bayonetted with & the guy who teaches next to me brings in his civil war-era guns.... he actually shoots off black powder (no projectiles) and reloads to demonstrate to the students how fast it had to be done.

With permission from the principal, students have, along with their parents/grandparents, brought in historical weapons to share with the class.

I'm lucky that i work in a school district with at least some common sense... these banned items sound like completely plausible examples of overly cautious/liberal schools in the past and still today.

PalmerToCJ
07-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Laser pointers in middle school. It was an epidemic.

WMD
07-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I would like to say that i teach History at a middle school in MN and as teachers we are able to bring in weapons to show students. I bring in a Japanese rifle that my grandpa was bayonetted with & the guy who teaches next to me brings in his civil war-era guns.... he actually shoots off black powder (no projectiles) and reloads to demonstrate to the students how fast it had to be done.

With permission from the principal, students have, along with their parents/grandparents, brought in historical weapons to share with the class.

I'm lucky that i work in a school district with at least some common sense... these banned items sound like completely plausible examples of overly cautious/liberal schools in the past and still today.

OOOOOOOMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG You should all be FIRED!!!!!!!!!! and sent to the ELECTRIC CHAIR!!!!!!!!

eaglesalltheway
07-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Laser pointers in middle school. It was an epidemic.

Those were the days man. It was great having a teacher looking at four of five different laser pointers o a white board. And then of course, trying to find out who the little ***** that had then were.

WMD
07-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Rape was illegal in High School, but that didn't stop me.

JF4
07-11-2008, 02:44 PM

That's wild...Bring anything that resembles a gun to the schools I went to and your expelled on the spot and most likely charged.

Silly American's and their love for guns.

PalmerToCJ
07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Those were the days man. It was great having a teacher looking at four of five different laser pointers o a white board. And then of course, trying to find out who the little ***** that had then were.

haha kids would always wait till they were on the bus and the bus was leaving... Then they'd start shining them on the teachers standing on the sidewalk lol. They hardly lasted, I don't even remember what they did to punish kids doing it.

eaglesalltheway
07-11-2008, 02:46 PM
It was so hard to catch for most teachers, either that or they really didn't care all that much. There was a kid I went to school with who had a pen that doubled as a laser pointer that no teacher ever found, it was genius.

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Yeah, that kind of stuff is perfectly fine in my book. More schools should do things like that...i think it would help kids better pay attention if they actually got to see these things in real life.

eaglesalltheway
07-11-2008, 02:51 PM
That is so true, I had a teacher who was in the vietnam war, and he brought in his weapons and his gear and some of his food (I can't remember the name for it right now though) and I really like stuff like that, it makes learning so much better than reading about what a weapon looks like in a book. He was actually showing us how it needed to be used, and you just don't get that out of a book.

themaninblack
07-11-2008, 02:53 PM

The principle of your school wasn't of Aryan descent was he/she?

Bills2083
07-11-2008, 03:02 PM
In middle school/high school, dodgeball was banned, because some kid who was bad at it got hurt and cried to his parents. Now, we can't have dodgeball in the school district.

But now, the gym teachers came up with a different name for it, so we can still play :D

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
In middle school/high school, dodgeball was banned, because some kid who was bad at it got hurt and cried to his parents. Now, we can't have dodgeball in the school district.

But now, the gym teachers came up with a different name for it, so we can still play :D

we got around that calling it "snow ball fights" and just played on the two sides of the gym, lol. good times.....

Bills2083
07-11-2008, 03:05 PM
we got around that calling it "snow ball fights" and just played on the two sides of the gym, lol. good times.....

Speaking of snowball fights....
In middle school, if any of the principals saw a student throwing snowballs on school grounds, that person would be suspended. :rolleyes:

awfullyquiet
07-11-2008, 03:07 PM
non-white people were banned from my school.
that and boys.

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Speaking of snowball fights....
In middle school, if any of the principals saw a student throwing snowballs on school grounds, that person would be suspended. :rolleyes:

ouch...i remember during winters we had "blacktop only" days when there was snow on the ground. you weren't even allowed to go out onto the snow to pick up a basketball if it rolled out there either....they were the shittiest recesses too. 100 kids packed onto blacktop about the size of 2 basketball courts.....

WMD
07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
My middle school banned the DX Crotch Chop.

PalmerToCJ
07-11-2008, 03:11 PM
My middle school banned the DX Crotch Chop.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, no way. Those were the days. Man did I underrate life in middle school.

M.O.T.H.
07-11-2008, 03:11 PM

Just the rubber balls were banned from our school. We still played but, w/ a nerf ball...still fun and it still managed to break some glasses. :D

eaglesalltheway
07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
ouch...i remember during winters we had "blacktop only" days when there was snow on the ground. you weren't even allowed to go out onto the snow to pick up a basketball if it rolled out there either....they were the shittiest recesses too. 100 kids packed onto blacktop about the size of 2 basketball courts.....

Those days did suck, you would almost have rather stayed inside. We had the same rules at my elementary school.

M.O.T.H.
07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Any school go through a pancing epidemic? lol. There was a solid month of middle school where, everyone was literally walking around, hands on belt. Some kids are just a-holes. lol.

themaninblack
07-11-2008, 03:14 PM
"Concert Tees" were banned at our school.

yo123
07-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Hackey sacks.

Bills2083
07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Just the rubber balls were banned from our school. We still played but, w/ a nerf ball...still fun and it still managed to break some glasses. :D

We play with those gator balls now.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31P0Y039DXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

They're a little bit softer than nerf balls.

M.O.T.H.
07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Magic cards...because, some nerds got a little too heated I guess.

Also, Pokemon cards because, some kid brought in $200 to buy my buddies Charazard card. HA!

M.O.T.H.
07-11-2008, 03:19 PM
We play with those gator balls now.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31P0Y039DXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

They're a little bit softer than nerf balls.

Never heard of them....then again, I've been out of school for a while.

fenikz
07-11-2008, 03:22 PM
non-white people were banned from my school.
that and boys.

...but you're asian

diabsoule
07-11-2008, 03:23 PM
...but you're asian

I was thinking the same thing.

scottyboy
07-11-2008, 03:24 PM
well let's see: tag, dodgeball, pokemon cards, beer, tackle football, and here are the worst two: Flick the can(the top/tab thing- it was "too dangerous") and blowing the paper off your straw, we could poke an eye out...

The funniest thing ever was for a week the only drink we could have other than milk and coca-cola(onfridays, pizza day!) was Arizona Iced Tea. (milk was free, zona was $1). During this week, the iced tea tasted nasty so we got refunds. We lied for the next like 2 months saying they were bad and got refunds! WOO HOO! goo maniacal schemes from grade schoolers!

CJSchneider
07-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Because of the district I teach in, all the schools wear uniforms. Due to recent gang related violence in my school attendance zone, jackets with hoods are prohibited.
Also babypowder or foot powder. A few kids went around last year "antiquing".

UKfan
07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Oh also, conkers! At first you could play with safety goggles, but then it was banned completely.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/12_01/conkersPA0512_468x301.jpg

Brent
07-11-2008, 03:36 PM
laser pointers.

Staubach12
07-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Hornets. Little papers folded up and shot from rubber bands. That was the bomb. Laser pointers were the greatest.

Bills2083
07-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Hornets. Little papers folded up and shot from rubber bands. That was the bomb. Laser pointers were the greatest.

Those things were called tweeters at our school. My friends can hit pretty anything across the room, from wherever they're sitting. They have amazing accuracy.

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Something else I thought of at my school were those pegs you could put on your bike that other people would stand on for you to give them a ride....yeah, that wasn't supposed to happen.

Also, I walked to my grandparents place after school, and the school was saying that you were only allowed to leave going 1 street to get to wherever you were going (the one with the crossing guard on it), no taking shortcuts through fields or alleys. Nobody listened, lol

iworshipbender
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Pokemon cards, because someone got their deck stolen and that ruined the fun for everyone.

terribletowel39
07-11-2008, 03:55 PM
When didn't have anything banned in elementary school. I mean nothing out of the ordinary. We played tackle football. Kids would come back from lunch and be scratched up and bruised, teachers would laugh and ask us if it was a good game. Then I moved.

In middle school we had to do uniforms. It blew. But other than having to look like everyone everyday, we didn't have many rules. I remember playing a version of hackey sack where we would get in a crowd of like 8 folks and start hacking and whoever dropped it had to go stand on the wall and the rest of us would get to throw it at him from like 20-25 feet.
We would also play a version where we would keep it up 15 times and on the 15th time we would all go for it and if you didn't catch you took off running because the guy who caught it was going to launch it at someone. Let me tell you a worn in hackey sack hurts like hell when you are pegged just right. I loved those games.

awfullyquiet
07-11-2008, 03:55 PM
...but you're asian

don't hate.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Bitches wouldn't let me bring in mah uzi.

Canadian_kid16
07-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Mini-sticks were banned because someone was cut right above the eye in a heated game.

And also Pokemon cards were banned because people would always steal them.

word for word, same thing that happened in my elementary school...cut in heated game and stolen Pokemon cards

in middle school, pixie sticks were banned (different coloured sugar in plastic sticks) cause kids would bring like 30 of them out during recess then elave them all over the parking lot (my middle school didn't have grass lol)

bantx
07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
i remember in elementary only one person down a slide at a time cause some kids like to stop in the middle of the slide and the next person would ram them and the kid who stopped got hurt and oh yeah no more jumping off the swings or no throwing the rocks at the play ground uhhh..oh yeah i remember when my friends whole collection of pokemon cards got taken up member everyone had their own binders and little card holders for them and his got taken up and he threw the biggest ***** fit, elementary was awesome

adschofield
07-11-2008, 05:42 PM
I still have my Pokemon binder stashed away somewhere

thefalconer
07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
im middle school smarties and pixie sticks, the candies, were banned becasue us boring kids simulated smoking.

and just this past year in my high school, the widely used wikipedia was banned from our internet access. next year is gonna suck. wikipedia was the place to cram and finish projects, papers.

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I still have my Pokemon binder stashed away somewhere

i think i might too....no idea where. somewhere in the catacombs of my parents basement i'm sure, lol. same with my matchbox cars and my ninja turtles

Canadian_kid16
07-11-2008, 06:01 PM
im middle school smarties and pixie sticks, the candies, were banned becasue us boring kids simulated smoking.

and just this past year in my high school, the widely used wikipedia was banned from our internet access. next year is gonna suck. wikipedia was the place to cram and finish projects, papers.

my school hates when kids use wiki, its not allowed as a source...they're too stupid to know how to ban it though lol

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 06:09 PM
my school hates when kids use wiki, its not allowed as a source...they're too stupid to know how to ban it though lol

some of my teachers were like that and others weren't....

how we'd get around it though is just go to the bottom where it lists the sources that wikipedia got the info from and write them down instead. The teachers were too lazy i guess to actually check each and every source to make sure it was valid

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Football was banned because we played it on concrete.
We use to take pens apart untill we just had a tube and then we spat airsoft beebees through them at each other.
We also you to take the things off of the tires of cars, cant remember the name I think it was cromes or something like that and sell them to each other at school.The really cool ones that were skulls were sold for like $10.
THe bus was also fun.
Licking gummy bears and then throwing them at people was fun especially when they got caught in peoples hair.
So was spraying each other with water bottles.
THe best part though was throwing things at cars going the opposite direction.Candy-canes can make a good size dent in cars when thrown properly.

TheBuffaloBills
07-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Pokemon cards were banned.

I hated how teachers called them, Pokeyman.

They could never say it right.

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Pokemon cards were banned.

I hated how teachers called them, Pokeyman.

They could never say it right.

Yeah, i remember that too. There wasn't even an "a" in the word yet they ended it in "man" every time......it had to be intentional. No way you mistake it like that.

My parents were the same way with Dragonball Z (greatest show on earth when i was in like 6th grade, loved the hell out of it. Vegeta and Piccolo for life!)

Brent
07-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I just remembered this one: portable CD players. We weren't allowed to have walkmans because the school was ridiculous like that.

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 07:52 PM
I just remembered this one: portable CD players. We weren't allowed to have walkmans because the school was ridiculous like that.

we had to keep our's, and anything like gameboys, in our backpacks until the end of the day. Then we were allowed to use them on the bus or the walk home or whatever.....

Brent
07-11-2008, 07:55 PM
we had to keep our's, and anything like gameboys, in our backpacks until the end of the day. Then we were allowed to use them on the bus or the walk home or whatever.....
we had ours confiscated and to be given back at the end of the day. in high school, you could get your cell phone taken away if it was on, but if it was off you were allowed to carry it because parents were all freaked out for no reason after 9/11.

Bills2083
07-11-2008, 08:11 PM

The librarians not only blocked wikipedia at our school, but they also block any image-hosting website, game websites, message boards, etc. (but they dont block NFLDC for some reason :D)

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 08:17 PM
The librarians not only blocked wikipedia at our school, but they also block any image-hosting website, game websites, message boards, etc. (but they dont block NFLDC for some reason :D)

they tried that crap at our school but we found out our computer teachers password my junior year and then my senior year, we found an unblockable free proxy server that let us get around the web blocker. it felt so badass, lol

Ravens1991
07-11-2008, 08:23 PM
O the good times about Pokemon. I remember I traded a engery card for some big holographic and I got in trouble w/ my parents because I cheated my cousin.

Turtlepower
07-11-2008, 08:24 PM

I hate kids who use wikipedia as a source because IT ISN'T!!!!!!!

And I'm talking about college kids...

BeerBaron
07-11-2008, 08:26 PM
I hate kids who use wikipedia as a source because IT ISN'T!!!!!!!

And I'm talking about college kids...

as one of those college kids, let me just say :p

Bills2083
07-11-2008, 08:28 PM
they tried that crap at our school but we found out our computer teachers password my junior year and then my senior year, we found an unblockable free proxy server that let us get around the web blocker. it felt so badass, lol

lol, the librarians dont know that we can still get to google images really easily. all we have to go to is a foreign country's google (germany/france), and do our searches there.

keylime_5
07-11-2008, 08:29 PM
If a kid drew an anarchy sign or a band logo or something on his agenda notebook the school issued when I was in high school, it was considered putting gang symbols on your notebook and you got detention.

No rubber bands either. That is considered a "weapon" that I actually got in trouble for once.

TheBuffaloBills
07-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Cell phones are banned were I go...... Its stupid because the kids that try to get away with it look so obvious when texting. They are always slouched down in their chair with their arm out to the side and making a dumb texting face. They always get caught.

PackerLegend
07-11-2008, 10:05 PM
We threw pencils out the window of the bus at on coming cars. Also threw numerous other things like pringles cans and random stuff. We once all got cheap disposable cameras for free... ya that didnt work good as you could take them apart and make tasers. Hats were banned because they might represent gangs. lasers, bloody knuckles, paper wasps, tackle football, "bad shirts" (guns or beer references), hacky sacks, wall ball, food on buses, shooting air nailers at eachoter (lol that was fun nobody lost an eye and i was hit in the face only left a pin needle mark).... bunch of other crap, didnt stop anyone though. Also pencils thrown in ceilings were very common.... the best were pencils thrown in the lunch room ceiling that was like 20-25 feet high

iowatreat54
07-11-2008, 10:08 PM
sex with hot teachers...apparently they did away with that rule nowadays :(

StripedWalrus
07-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Rape was illegal in High School, but that didn't stop me.

Didnt stop your Dad either...hence how you were born.

We had a game called quarters banned from our school when I was in middle school. Any child caught playing quarters got a detention.

Strongside
07-11-2008, 11:41 PM
When the plow plowed the snow on our black top it created these huge mounds which we would play king of the hill on. It was awesome. Those were soon gone though. Snow ball fights were banned too.

CLong4Heisman
07-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Tag was banned in my elementary school. So was kickball because the pitcher got hit in the head with the ball, it was soooo funny.

PackerLegend
07-11-2008, 11:54 PM
When the plow plowed the snow on our black top it created these huge mounds which we would play king of the hill on. It was awesome. Those were soon gone though. Snow ball fights were banned too.

Haha ya... our school setup ******** *** targets to throw snowballs at instead of other kids. Man I can honestly remember a fair amount of **** from 1st grade on and it doesn't seem all that long ago, even though it is.

Gatz
07-12-2008, 12:08 AM
We couldn't wear a belt.

Belt= Weapon.

bantx
07-12-2008, 12:24 AM
We couldn't wear a belt.

Belt= Weapon.

lol where do u live?

BeerBaron
07-12-2008, 12:49 AM
We couldn't wear a belt.

Belt= Weapon.

we weren't supposed to bring any keys to school...i guess they were a weapon too. supposed to leave them in our backpack if we absolutely needed them. I vaguely recall our principal in like 5th or 6th grade talking to our whole class about that...

i kind of want to slice someone up with a key just to spite them now, lol

Crickett
07-12-2008, 12:54 AM
I remember when I was in school and a bunch of kids used to play Magic: The Gathering. None of the teachers knew what the hell it us, so the just looked on. Nobody minded when we played the first of the pokemon video games. Or when we would surf on the internet to just about any place that didn't have pornography. I used to check up on my pro wrestling news and spolers then.

And it took A LOT to get detention in my school. I got in two fights with the same kid and I didn't even get detention. And it was the same semester.

We used to play kickball. And dodgeball. And basketball. And tag. And freeze. And pencil and paper RPG's that were made up on the fly. Wall ball was allowed, but I was absolutely terrible at wall ball so I never played it. In elementary school and in high school, there were eateries close enough that we were allowed to go "out to lunch"

neko4
07-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Techdecks

Those were the coolest things in 1st-3rd grade, then yu-gi-oh

All of that got banned

http://i13.tinypic.com/4ctmfky.jpg

Caddy
07-12-2008, 01:01 AM
We got banned from having strange eating/dare competitions. Like first one to eat a whole cake or first to eat a whole onion or whoever can hold down 2 litres of milk longest after sculling it; that kind of stupid thing.

We also got banned from playing stupid games too which were usually variations of brandings. My favourite one had this firing squad like event where if you failed to complete a certain goal, you had to stand with your face against the wall and everyone would get to throw the ball at you as hard as possible.

Great stuff.

BeerBaron
07-12-2008, 01:08 AM
i remember tech decks, lol. I had an awesome one with a skull on the bottom and i changed the wheels so that there were 2 red and 2 black ones diagonal from eachother. it was badass.....and i carried around the wrench and spare parts in a little film canister.

Canadian_kid16
07-12-2008, 01:12 AM
i remember tech decks, lol. I had an awesome one with a skull on the bottom and i changed the wheels so that there were 2 red and 2 black ones diagonal from eachother. it was badass.....and i carried around the wrench and spare parts in a little film canister.

is it bad to say that I didn't learn how to make the tech deck do anything until I was in Grade 8 (4 years ago I tinhk)

VoteLynnSwan
07-12-2008, 01:51 AM
well in middle school a few guys that were on my bus would steal thread from the home-ec room. They would then tie one spool to another and throw one of them out of the window. You could tell when the thread got caught on a car because the reel would start going like crazy. They ended up getting caught, musta been the bus driver, and they got suspended.

other than that, tag was banned in elementary school because someone hit their head on a bench that was the "safe zone"

kwilk103
07-12-2008, 03:06 AM
there was this thing in my area called 'Crave'

it was basically flavored sugar....really good

that lasted about a week before it was banned

Gay Ork Wang
07-12-2008, 08:13 AM
In germany we didnt have things banned

BeerBaron
07-12-2008, 10:01 AM
In germany we didnt have things banned

in soviet russia, things banned you

Splat
07-12-2008, 10:30 AM
bloody knuckles

I so forgot about bloody knuckles to be young and stupid.:)

The_Dude
07-12-2008, 03:22 PM
These are all things that annoy me on a daily basis at school. They all fall under the category of "nuisance" items/behaviors. I have no problem with the "banning" of most of these items/activities. They distract kids and make it more difficult to keep order in the classroom/lunchroom, etc.... but banning tag and football during recess is just plain stupid.

The staff at my school actually had a contest to see who could confiscate the most cell phones in one month (kids had to be seen with them out or using them). The winner got a gift certificate to a local restaurant. The principal made an announcement that we were looking for them and that there was "blood in the water". I tried to convince him to occasionally play the "Jaws" theme during the announcements to remind the kids that we are out to get them.

The staff had a lot of fun with this.....

bantx
07-12-2008, 03:24 PM
u get suspended for rubberband guns forgot abut that one and the paper where u shoot with a rubber band and hit people with them, the things we come up wiith when we're bored