PDA

View Full Version : How good is Rusty Smith? -JR - QB - Florida Atlantic

jnew76
07-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I will preface this by saying that I have never seen Florida Atlantic play. I have seen highlights and exerpts of games... but nothing more.

Listed at 6'5" - 215. He has prototypical size. As a Sophomore he threw for 3,688 Yards and 32TD/9INT. I know he plays against subpar competition week to week.

My question is whether he is good enough to be a high pick in the NFL? Further - In a "weak" QB senior class, is there a scenario where he would declare as a Junior?

How is his arm? Is he mobile? Is Florida Atlantic a spread offense?

Just looking for a scouting report I guess.

SuperKevin
07-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Howard Schnellenberger says he's a future first round pick and I think he knows a thing or two about quarterbacks.

Seriously though, I watched him play like 3 games last year and he reminds me a lot of Sam Bradford but without the benefit of a BCS team behind him. Very tall but not very big and has a strong accurate arm. Depending on who comes out as a junior in 2009, Smith very well could be the best senior QB in 2010.

Brent
07-13-2008, 05:32 PM
too bad he plays in the sun belt, that hurts him so much.

etk
07-13-2008, 05:55 PM
He looked great against Memphis, and I see the Bradford comparison, but I don't like evaluating quarterbacks against teams like Memphis.

YAYareaRB
07-13-2008, 06:07 PM
If Joe Flacco, a D-1AA QB, can get into the first round, I don't see why he can't.

SuperKevin
07-14-2008, 04:10 AM
too bad he plays in the sun belt, that hurts him so much.

The same Sun Belt that has begun to consistently produce 1st round talent? Quarterbacks are actually helped by playing in smaller conferences because their success is less dependent on the talent around them.

Brent
07-14-2008, 06:25 AM
The same Sun Belt that has begun to consistently produce 1st round talent? Quarterbacks are actually helped by playing in smaller conferences because their success is less dependent on the talent around them.
I was thinking more exposure than anything but I suppose if you are good enough that wont matter.

Byrd430
07-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Smith is a very interesting prospect and to me.

His coach compares him to Bernie Kosar. He led Florida Atlantic to their first ever bowl and then guided them past Memphis.

In '06 as a redshirt freshman, he gutted Troy for 312 yards. Then, last year he torched a bad Minnesota team for 463 yards. He also threw for 300+ vs. Florida and of course 350 on 26 for 33 passing against Memphis in the bowl game. He's completing close to 60% and has 32 TDs to 9 INTs (for last season).

Guy is good. He really came out of nowhere, but it's hard getting FAU games anywhere besides Boca Raton, so unfortunately all I can see is the stats.

BeerBaron
07-16-2008, 07:46 PM
If Joe Flacco, a D-1AA QB, can get into the first round, I don't see why he can't.

i can agree with that sentiment. Smith might not be everything Flacco is physically but if level of competition still allowed him to go in the first round, then Smith has a very good shot at being a first day pick when he comes out if he keeps that production up

mqtirishfan
07-16-2008, 09:07 PM

With 2 first round picks from current Sun Belt teams since 1971, I think we have different definitions of the word consistently.

Canadian_kid16
07-16-2008, 09:38 PM
With 2 first round picks from current Sun Belt teams since 1971, I think we have different definitions of the word consistently.

Seeing as 1971 isn't recent for the Sun Belt, considering it was formed in 2001, I think we have different definitions of the word begun.

mqtirishfan
07-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Seeing as 1971 isn't recent for the Sun Belt, considering it was formed in 2001, I think we have different definitions of the word begun.

I was just trying to show how bad the track record is with those teams. Troy is the only school to pump out any first round picks, and it's only been two of them. Consistently putting out first round talent and the Sun Belt conference do not belong in the same thought.

Canadian_kid16
07-16-2008, 09:43 PM
I was just trying to show how bad the track record is with those teams. Troy is the only school to pump out any first round picks, and it's only been two of them. Consistently putting out first round talent and the Sun Belt conference do not belong in the same thought.

fair enough...but, at the very least, I feel that there is some talent in the Sun Belt that is worthy of being labelled as Day One picks, with Smith leading the way

Brent
07-17-2008, 10:59 AM
fair enough...but, at the very least, I feel that there is some talent in the Sun Belt that is worthy of being labelled as Day One picks, with Smith leading the way
reminds me of JaMario Thomas, who had that awesome year and then disappeared because he kept getting hurt, now I have no idea where he is.

Byrd430
07-18-2008, 07:45 PM
reminds me of JaMario Thomas, who had that awesome year and then disappeared because he kept getting hurt, now I have no idea where he is.

I understand what you're saying but you can't just assume that Rusty Smith will be injury-prone considering that he hasn't shown it so far in his career.

Rusty Smith is the best thing that's happened to the Florida Atlantic program. I don't see him coming out this year, but I do see him as one of the better junior QBs this year. Also, don't believe that he'll be a 1st round pick because you really have to have everything together to be a first rounder, plus being one of the top 3-4 QBs coming out.

Playing in the Sun Belt conference would definitely hurt him if he were putting up above average numbers, but the guy is definitely lighting up the conference. He posted 291 yards against a Troy team that featured Leodis McKelvin (1st RD Pick). His worst showing was against Oklahoma State where he was 19-32 for 175 yards, but his running game only gave him 28 yards. Again, he had 300+ against Florida and 184 on 15-28 passing against Kentucky, both on the road in an SEC atmosphere with SBC talent around him.

gator3guy
07-25-2008, 09:12 PM
I saw him in that bowl game and fell in love. I still find it hard to believe a QB from a small conference such as the sun belt can be a first round pick (even after Joe Flacco). But from the little I saw of him I like. This is a big year for him whether it catapults him into day one this year or first round next year.