PDA

View Full Version : Offseason moves

detroit4life
02-28-2007, 08:53 PM
I figured i'd start a thread for the moves the lions make coming in the future and discussion of trade possibilities with the lions just cutting verba today and with other cuts and trades in the near future

asmitty45
02-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Brian Simmons anyone?

detroit4life
02-28-2007, 09:07 PM
yea i saw that is he a MLB or OLB

WMD
02-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Cut Ross Verba today..

Who'll be cut tomorrow? James Hall, Damien Woody, Marcus Bell... Who else? Kenoy Kennedy maybe? What about a surprise... Josh McCown? They might be sold on Dan O for the backup role.

detroit4life
03-01-2007, 06:25 AM
McCowns contract is up after this year i dont see them cutting him unless he is lazy and complaining in the lockerrrom. Hopefully we get soem value for hall but if not him and pollard are due bonuses on sat. so they're gone by then. Bell should be soon they cant get any value for him and i think woody is going to be staying until after spring training to see if he shows committment and comes to camp in shape. I'd love for kennedy to be cut but i dont really see it happening this year

TacticaLion
03-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Agree. They'll keep Kennedy (although I wish they'd cut him, draft Meriweather for FS and move Bullocks to SS). I think we NEED to get SOMETHING... ANYTHING for Hall. Woody will stay, and should start by the beginning of the season.

And they won't cut McCown.

lionsfan81
03-01-2007, 01:52 PM
yes ANYTHING for hall. ill take a 7th rounder for him instead of cutting him. but realistically i think he is worth a 4th rounder, 5th at the worst. if we get a 5th for him, that would mean we have 4 5th round picks, so hopefully use some to trade up or trade for someone else with the pick.

detroit4life
03-01-2007, 02:17 PM
great trade with denver i really do like it it gets us our back up RB and a RT no more joe thomas talks now and they should be able to focus on D in the draft

detroit4life
03-02-2007, 02:52 PM
dwayne white is visiting today and curtis is coming in tomorrow. I guess curtis is goin to minneapolis before the lions so lets wait and see on that. Whie is another player who the lions should have a good shot at signing since marinelli use to coach him. And marinelli should be able to know whetehr he wants him or not and if he's able to be able to be an everydown player.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Lions released Pollard,Tyoka Jackson, and Marcus Bell today. No surprises there. Saved some money too.

familyguy555
03-02-2007, 03:12 PM
i really like our offseason moves so far

Notredameleo
03-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Dewayne White, How old is he, was he a starter in TB?

lionsfan81
03-02-2007, 03:57 PM
http://spartannation.com/?p=2079

blockbuster deal for the lions coming???

detroit4life
03-06-2007, 05:48 PM
we can only hope they are able to move down and add some more picks

Mythos
03-06-2007, 06:52 PM
we can only hope they are able to move down and add some more picks

Trading with Arizona seems the most reasonable for both teams, but if for whatever reason they're unwilling who else do you see as being realistic?
Washington seems loose with their picks, but I'm not sure who they'd target. CJ with Moss? Minnesota has always been to cheap. They've even been late to the podium a couple of times. Houston, Miami, and Atlanta all need a LT I think. I'm not sure what those teams would have to give up to move that far.

detroit4life
03-06-2007, 07:16 PM
washington probly wont happen they are short on pick as it is i could see houston but they signed ahman green so wont be targeting AD. Miami and Atlanta are both possibilities with Miami most likely targeting Quinn and Atlanta targeting CJ.

WMD
03-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Trading with Arizona seems the most reasonable for both teams, but if for whatever reason they're unwilling who else do you see as being realistic?
Washington seems loose with their picks, but I'm not sure who they'd target. CJ with Moss? Minnesota has always been to cheap. They've even been late to the podium a couple of times. Houston, Miami, and Atlanta all need a LT I think. I'm not sure what those teams would have to give up to move that far.

Washington only has one Day 1 pick this year. No deal!
Minnesota is a division rival, I doubt we deal with them.. Not unheard of, but i'd doubt it.
Houston and Miami can use Thomas OR Brady Quinn. Not sure if teams want to trade to #2 for Brady though..
If the Falcons trade up, I think it'd be for CJ.

I think we'll have a ton of options.. As long as Oakland picks JaMarcus at #1.

detroit4life
03-06-2007, 09:02 PM
yea i think it depends on how much value millen will be looking for if he gives a little he should eb able to make a trade down easily

Mythos
03-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Washington only has one Day 1 pick this year. No deal!
Minnesota is a division rival, I doubt we deal with them.. Not unheard of, but i'd doubt it.
Houston and Miami can use Thomas OR Brady Quinn. Not sure if teams want to trade to #2 for Brady though..
If the Falcons trade up, I think it'd be for CJ.

I think we'll have a ton of options.. As long as Oakland picks JaMarcus at #1.

I'd settle for a 2nd and a 3rd ('07 or '08) from any of those teams, and be thrilled w/ two 2nds. I'd be very suprised if we got anyone's '08 1st or anything even close to equal value.

TacticaLion
03-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I'd settle for a 2nd and a 3rd ('07 or '08) from any of those teams, and be thrilled w/ two 2nds. I'd be very suprised if we got anyone's '08 1st or anything even close to equal value.I'd take a 2nd and 3rd any day of the week... those are great value picks, regardless of "perfect trade value".

Iamcanadian
03-07-2007, 07:28 AM
yea i think it depends on how much value millen will be looking for if he gives a little he should eb able to make a trade down easily

Trading down from #2 is exceptionally difficult. It has rarely occurred because Detroit will want to stay in the top 10 and top 10 teams only trade down for QB's as that is the only position that they can justify giving up draft picks for. They are teams with many holes to fill and those type of teams do not give up picks easily. If we don't stay at #2 then Minny, Miami and Houston are our most likely trading partners because each would just love to take Quinn off our hands and beat the others to him. Quinn is going to have some team in the playoffs within 2 or 3 years just like Leinart and Cutler will, and that makes him very valuable to those teams. Of course, as it turns out, Detroit had 6 people attend Quinn's workout, 4 coaches and 2 executives, so they may be quietly targeting Quinn for themselves while still leaving the door open for a trade if they are swamped with offers. They are not going to by any means, give the #2 pick away unless value is received in full.

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Trading down from #2 is exceptionally difficult. It has rarely occurred because Detroit will want to stay in the top 10 and top 10 teams only trade down for QB's as that is the only position that they can justify giving up draft picks for. They are teams with many holes to fill and those type of teams do not give up picks easily. If we don't stay at #2 then Minny, Miami and Houston are our most likely trading partners because each would just love to take Quinn off our hands and beat the others to him. Quinn is going to have some team in the playoffs within 2 or 3 years just like Leinart and Cutler will, and that makes him very valuable to those teams. Of course, as it turns out, Detroit had 6 people attend Quinn's workout, 4 coaches and 2 executives, so they may be quietly targeting Quinn for themselves while still leaving the door open for a trade if they are swamped with offers. They are not going to by any means, give the #2 pick away unless value is received in full.If they love Willis as much as rumored, they wont care if they stay in the top 10.

Newbs24
03-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Trading down from #2 is exceptionally difficult. It has rarely occurred because Detroit will want to stay in the top 10 and top 10 teams only trade down for QB's as that is the only position that they can justify giving up draft picks for. They are teams with many holes to fill and those type of teams do not give up picks easily. If we don't stay at #2 then Minny, Miami and Houston are our most likely trading partners because each would just love to take Quinn off our hands and beat the others to him. Quinn is going to have some team in the playoffs within 2 or 3 years just like Leinart and Cutler will, and that makes him very valuable to those teams. Of course, as it turns out, Detroit had 6 people attend Quinn's workout, 4 coaches and 2 executives, so they may be quietly targeting Quinn for themselves while still leaving the door open for a trade if they are swamped with offers. They are not going to by any means, give the #2 pick away unless value is received in full.

They don't necessarily have to stay in the Top 10 especially if they can lure an impact player at a position of need like MLB or CB or OL. This pick has alot of value and I think alot of mid-late 1st round teams will want to move into there if they have players that they can trade away and fill in the holes with the #2 pick. I really hope the Jets trade is not dead and it has some life because that would be a dream trade for the Lions. Vilma is a tough SOB and he would flouirsh in our D in the middle of Sims and Bailey.

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
They don't necessarily have to stay in the Top 10 especially if they can lure an impact player at a position of need like MLB or CB or OL. This pick has alot of value and I think alot of mid-late 1st round teams will want to move into there if they have players that they can trade away and fill in the holes with the #2 pick. I really hope the Jets trade is not dead and it has some life because that would be a dream trade for the Lions. Vilma is a tough SOB and he would flouirsh in our D in the middle of Sims and Bailey.

That Jets trade would be perfect... but I dont see it happening.

Mythos
03-07-2007, 05:39 PM

I'm confused. I heard on the MIke and MIke Podcast that the Lions didn't send anyone to Brady Quinn's pro-day.

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm confused. I heard on the MIke and MIke Podcast that the Lions didn't send anyone to Brady Quinn's pro-day.I've heard both reports: that no one showed up and that a LOT of representatives were there.

*shrugs*... either way, I guess.

detroit4life
03-07-2007, 06:24 PM
yea that was a false statement tho they sent seven guys to the thing i belive

Trading down should be too hard if we dont get stubborn over perfect value. I could see a team trading up for three guys, Quinn, CJ, and Thomas. Possibly even AD. All four of these guys are "franchise" players so if they would accept a second round and a third or fourth they should take it sure they should be able to get more in a perfect world but they should be able to make a move down

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Exactly... exactly. I think that we should get the first trade for "reasonable" value... ask for a 2nd and 3rd... then do another quick trade for ANYTHING... drop down 3 spots for an extra 3rd rounder. Make the first one and just throw the second one together for ANY compensation.

That'll leave us with our 1st rounder (and in the position to take Willis), then 2 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders... not to mention a 4th round pick and 4 5th round picks!

Talk about making deals... that would be incredible.

wingboy2999
03-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Exactly... exactly. I think that we should get the first trade for "reasonable" value... ask for a 2nd and 3rd... then do another quick trade for ANYTHING... drop down 3 spots for an extra 3rd rounder. Make the first one and just throw the second one together for ANY compensation.

That'll leave us with our 1st rounder (and in the position to take Willis), then 2 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders... not to mention a 4th round pick and 4 5th round picks!

I'd probably freak out if we had that many first day picks.

Scotty D
03-08-2007, 02:52 PM
So is Boss Bailey a FA?

TacticaLion
03-08-2007, 03:36 PM
So is Boss Bailey a FA?I have no idea (although I could research it). What would that mean for the LBs? Would Lewis be a starter?

Interestingness.

Addict
03-08-2007, 04:18 PM

I'd like to make two statements:
1. I'm impressed by the sheer number of draft picks, but let's all be honest, they won't do us much good unless we use them well.
2. I'm very bothered by the fact that I will never be able to have that many draft picks in Madden '07. That bites.

TacticaLion
03-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd like to make two statements:
1. I'm impressed by the sheer number of draft picks, but let's all be honest, they won't do us much good unless we use them well.
2. I'm very bothered by the fact that I will never be able to have that many draft picks in Madden '07. That bites.Haha.

1. That's true, but thats true about ANY picks. The more 1st day picks we can get the better... we can't control how they use them, but having more has GOT to improve our chances (as fans) of getting solid/great players.
2. Ha. When i'm playing Madden, i'll have a top pick and trade down every 5 spots, getting their 1st and 3rd round picks for my 1st and last pick. That way, I end up with a late 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, 6 3rd round picks and a 4th round pick (or something like that).

It's fun. I can then trade my top players away and start all rookies. Fun fun.

Addict
03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Haha.

1. That's true, but thats true about ANY picks. The more 1st day picks we can get the better... we can't control how they use them, but having more has GOT to improve our chances (as fans) of getting solid/great players.
2. Ha. When i'm playing Madden, i'll have a top pick and trade down every 5 spots, getting their 1st and 3rd round picks for my 1st and last pick. That way, I end up with a late 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, 6 3rd round picks and a 4th round pick (or something like that).

It's fun. I can then trade my top players away and start all rookies. Fun fun.

better yet. And i've played it a lot, so pay attention. The perfect way to do drafts and get a huge amount of cap space:

1: trade your first round draft pick with a crappy team (49ers or Browns are safe bets) they'll give you all their firstday picks for your first rounder and their second and third rounders for your secondrounder) easiest way to trade up.
2: when signing your rookies, sing-em to anything, then:
3: start of season: boot all those who earn a lot, change their position into something they're crap at and where you've got sufficient depth and sign them to a crappy 7-year deal. Do this with all your rookies as well. After you've signed them, go and change their positions back again.

result: cheap, highly picked rookies, huge cap space and (most fun of all) 99 overall guys who get payed a whopping 600 K a year.

TacticaLion
03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
better yet. And i've played it a lot, so pay attention. The perfect way to do drafts and get a huge amount of cap space:

1: trade your first round draft pick with a crappy team (49ers or Browns are safe bets) they'll give you all their firstday picks for your first rounder and their second and third rounders for your secondrounder) easiest way to trade up.
2: when signing your rookies, sing-em to anything, then:
3: start of season: boot all those who earn a lot, change their position into something they're crap at and where you've got sufficient depth and sign them to a crappy 7-year deal. Do this with all your rookies as well. After you've signed them, go and change their positions back again.

result: cheap, highly picked rookies, huge cap space and (most fun of all) 99 overall guys who get payed a whopping 600 K a year.HAHA! Thats some funny stuff.

I used to do that draft pick thing... was fun. You can also draft a MLB/OLB in the late rounds, move them to DE and - BAM - ... a 90+ DE rookie. Also, taking a great WR and moving them to CB will give you a great player.

It's fun messing with positions.

(I just took the Lions, traded away the ENTIRE OLine for picks, traded Kitna, KJones, RWilliams, KKennedy, JHall and DBly for picks, swapped and traded picks until I had 5 1st round picks and 5 2nd round picks and had a fun draft. Drafted, in order, QB, SS, DE, MLB, RB in round 1 and an entire OLine in round 2.

We'll see how far that gets me.

It's also fun to make an entire team of Williams/Smiths. Takes a while, but its... well... not that rewarding.

detroit4life
03-08-2007, 09:37 PM
what you can do is turn of trade deadline and go up to week 16 and then get all the top picks because the value is still at what it was at the beggining of the season but once you go past week 17 the value is changed since they're the top picks in the draft works everytime