PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football Magazines

vidae
07-13-2008, 06:46 PM
What would you guys recommend? The other day I saw a few but wasn't really sure what the best ones to get would be.

I sort of remember a thread about this being made before but I can't find it. Any suggestions/tips would be hotsauce.

Thanks!

GB12
07-13-2008, 07:07 PM
I would reccomend not getting a mazagine. Use online sources if you want fantasy information. Magazines are usually printed early and out of date by the time you draft.

vidae
07-13-2008, 07:19 PM
I suppose that is a good tip, thank you. The ones I saw were out dated as far as rosters go, missing a lot of free agents, etc.

yo123
07-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Get Fantasy Football Weekly. You don't have to listen to what they say, they're just fun to read imo.

farfromforgotten
07-13-2008, 07:34 PM
I gave up on FF magazines a long time ago. I will occasionally glance through one when I'm waiting in a store while my Wife is shopping, just to have something to laugh at. I remember the year after Drew Bennett had a big season for Tennessee one of the FF mags had him listed as their #1 FF WR for that year. That is the most amazing thing I have ever seen regarding FF mags. Still makes me laugh to this day.

Use online sources or better yet, come up with your own rankings. Take some time to study the off season moves, drafts, etc. Look at the schedules. Play the match-ups. I do my own rankings once the football season ends on my computer and I update it through out the off season and until the FF league draft begins. It takes a little more time, but has always worked for me.

Pacific
07-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Use online sources or better yet, come up with your own rankings. Take some time to study the off season moves, drafts, etc. Look at the schedules. Play the match-ups. I do my own rankings once the football season ends on my computer and I update it through out the off season and until the FF league draft begins. It takes a little more time, but has always worked for me.

That is what I do also. I usually look at the rankings of several magazines and websites to get a general idea of where players are going to be drafted and then I make my own rankings based on my own gut feeling. I always kind of use a "who would I take if they were both on the board" approach when making my rankings.

Ness
07-13-2008, 09:20 PM
I have the ESPN one for the third year in the row. At least I think it's the third year. Anyways, it hasn't really helped me, but it is something to pass the time and at least remind you of a lot of the buzz that's been happening in the offseason.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-13-2008, 09:43 PM
i just get a list of all the players at the positions, usually it is called a 'cheat sheet' and i somewhat use the rankings as a guide for where people will draft, but its more of a way to cross names off and see who is left at any point. Using your own thinking is better than anything that many of the mags can tell u.

Shane P. Hallam
07-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Get Fantasy Football Weekly. You don't have to listen to what they say, they're just fun to read imo.

I'd suggest Fanball.com, whichever magazine they are sponsoring this year. It is usually FFW, and I usually buy it in early August to get as close as possible. I like buying one just to have to look up quick stats, etc, for all players.

JF4
07-13-2008, 10:12 PM
i just get a list of all the players at the positions, usually it is called a 'cheat sheet' and i somewhat use the rankings as a guide for where people will draft, but its more of a way to cross names off and see who is left at any point. Using your own thinking is better than anything that many of the mags can tell u.

You overestimate the general football knowledge on this forum

Staubach12
07-13-2008, 10:36 PM
You overestimate the general football knowledge on this forum

There's an intelligence gap. Some people here know tons about football, and others are just ignorant. There is no middle ground, I've found.

TheBuffaloBills
07-13-2008, 10:38 PM
I just bought a 2008 season preview mag, and they didnt even mention the rookies.... They werent on the projected 2008 roster..... Way outdated.

yo123
07-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I'd suggest Fanball.com, whichever magazine they are sponsoring this year. It is usually FFW, and I usually buy it in early August to get as close as possible. I like buying one just to have to look up quick stats, etc, for all players.

Oh thats the one I meant. I thought it was always FFW. Although I was dissapointed at the absence of Charch, Bo Mitchell, Tuvey, etc in this years mag. Do you know what happened to them?

vidae
07-14-2008, 12:02 AM
There was a magazine (I can't remember which) but it had a college qb ranking list and Sam Bradford was 7th and Matt Stafford was 31st.

That's why I ask. I want to make sure (if I do get one) that the people who are writing it are semi intelligent.

Bills2083
07-14-2008, 08:37 AM
I usually use magazines, but I think I'm going to start finding some on the internet. Like everbody else said, they're not that helpful, and they are really outdated by the time the drafts come around.