PDA

View Full Version : Lions interested in Chris Simms!

Scotty D
07-13-2008, 10:21 PM
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul/13/sp-with-relationship-broken-bucs-need-to-trade-sim/?sports-bucs

Honestly this wouldn't be that bad of a pick up. Gruden has screwed Simms over in Tampa after the guy played with a busted spleen for the team. Might be the most talented QB on the roster if we get him.

probably not thread worthy. But things have been slow

PACKmanN
07-13-2008, 10:39 PM
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul/13/sp-with-relationship-broken-bucs-need-to-trade-sim/?sports-bucs

Honestly this wouldn't be that bad of a pick up. Gruden has screwed Simms over in Tampa after the guy played with a busted spleen for the team. Might be the most talented QB on the roster if we get him.

probably not thread worthy. But things have been slow

Gruden never liked him. He was pissed when the management resigned him long-term. Maybe a new team with new coaches can do him some good, but I like Stanton much more.

Scotty D
07-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Gruden never liked him. He was pissed when the management resigned him long-term. Maybe a new team with new coaches can do him some good, but I like Stanton much more.

A change of scenary is going do him wonders. People forget the promise he showed. Honestly I could see him battling Kitna this year for starting time.

PACKmanN
07-13-2008, 10:49 PM
A change of scenary is going do him wonders. People forget the promise he showed. Honestly I could see him battling Kitna this year for starting time.

If this does happen, he will be cut with Garcia, Johnson, and that bears qb there, who now becomes the team future at qb?

Thats what I question and makes me think this won't happen, as both Stanton and Sims are similar qbs.

Scotty D
07-13-2008, 10:56 PM
If this does happen, he will be cut with Garcia, Johnson, and that bears qb there, who now becomes the team future at qb?

Thats what I question and makes me think this won't happen, as both Stanton and Sims are similar qbs.

Gruden has kept Luke McCown around for awhile now. He's not a big name but hes been in the system for years. I guess you could call him a QB of the future. What Johnson are you referring to though? Josh Johnson? He would be the future as well.

If you mean who would be the future QB of the Lions then I'd still lean Stanton. I've never got the feeling the front office is completely sold on Stanton being our QB of the future. We wouldn't have a lot invested in Simms if we acquired him and I don't think it would hurt the development of Stanton to much.

I still say give Dan Orlovsky some starts!

Brothgar
07-13-2008, 11:08 PM
We are also reported to have interest in RBs LaMont Jordan (Oakland) and Naija Davenport

EDIT: http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+North/Detroit/WWHI/2008/wwhi071208.htm link

Scotty D
07-14-2008, 12:02 AM
We are also reported to have interest in RBs LaMont Jordan (Oakland) and Naija Davenport

Thats interesting. I like Jerome Felton, but Najeh could be our bigger back.

Prowler
07-14-2008, 11:29 AM
simms has something to prove and can play with a ruptured spleen, sure i'd give him a shot

Maybe Next Year Millen2
07-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah I would give him a shot too. I think Kitna is entrenched this year with his knowledge of the playbook but next year an open competition between Stanton and Simms would do wonders instead of just handing Stanton the job because we took him the second round.

Orlovsky is never going to get a shot. He was a restricted free agent we resigned this year and that should be it for Orlovsky. He had his chance to earn the number 2 job last year but got beat out by O'Sullivan. Sims has way more upside than Orlovsky and way more experience.

Sims got the Bucs to the playoffs, played well in the playoff game(dropped pass from beating the Skins), has a great pedigree, has starting experience and is tough. Worst case scenario(for Sims) he's a starting caliber backup for Stanton in 09 because Stanton won the job legitimately.

BRAVEHEART
07-30-2008, 02:06 PM
He seems like Kitna but with a stonger arm.

Addict
07-30-2008, 03:35 PM
someone to light a fire under Stanton's ass will be a good thing, if this goes through, I'd be all for it. Simms does come with a hefty paycheck, didn't he get startin QB money the season prior to his injury?

BRAVEHEART
07-30-2008, 03:45 PM
someone to light a fire under Stanton's ass will be a good thing, if this goes through, I'd be all for it. Simms does come with a hefty paycheck, didn't he get startin QB money the season prior to his injury?

You get what you pay for...

familyguy555
07-30-2008, 03:49 PM
It's not happening...

Addict
07-30-2008, 04:13 PM
You get what you pay for...

what he hell is that supposed to mean?

Do I really need to remind you we paid Joey Harrington franchise QB money, C-Rog got franchise receiver money etc. etc. etc.?

BRAVEHEART
07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Do I really need to remind you we paid Joey Harrington franchise QB money, C-Rog got franchise receiver money etc. etc. etc.?

Of course, because being top pick rookies has nothing to do with that...right?

I'm just saying Simms has proven himself, and at worse is just Kitna with a bigger arm.

Addict
07-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Of course, because being top pick rookies has nothing to do with that...right?

I'm just saying Simms has proven himself, and at worse is just Kitna with a bigger arm.

and less experience.

But regardless, he really hasn't done much statistacally.

2006 3 3 58 106 54.7 585 1 7
2005 11 10 191 313 61.0 2,035 10 7
2004 5 2 42 73 57.5 467 1 3

BRAVEHEART
07-30-2008, 04:56 PM
and less experience.

But regardless, he really hasn't done much statistacally.

2006 3 3 58 106 54.7 585 1 7
2005 11 10 191 313 61.0 2,035 10 7
2004 5 2 42 73 57.5 467 1 3

I'd still take him over Stant and orvlosky put together. This is Kitna's last year and we need a QB who is (atleast) better than Gross,Ort,Tavaris,Booty,Rodgers.

Addict
07-30-2008, 04:58 PM
I'd still take him over Stant and orvlosky put together. This is Kitna's last year and we need a QB who is (atleast) better than Gross,Ort,Tavaris,Booty,Rodgers.

I'm just saying what he proved statistically so far is that he's mediocre.

BRAVEHEART
07-30-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm just saying what he proved statistically so far is that he's mediocre.

Stanton has proved that he can't handle training camp and is probably worse than what he was coming into the league (thanks to martz) and Orvlosky has proved that he's not even on jt O'sullivan's level. Kitna is Mediocre so i don;t see what's the big deal (unless we draft a *worthwile* QB soon) or Make a trade for Quinn/Anderson.

TimD
07-30-2008, 05:23 PM
why has he proved he cant handle training camp? he got hurt his rookie year. **** happens that isnt necessarily his fault. its football people get hurt.

BRAVEHEART
07-30-2008, 05:35 PM
why has he proved he cant handle training camp? he got hurt his rookie year. **** happens that isnt necessarily his fault. its football people get hurt.

I wasn't talking about last year...I'm talking about how he sucks now.

He's another Millen blunder.

Iamcanadian
07-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah I would give him a shot too. I think Kitna is entrenched this year with his knowledge of the playbook but next year an open competition between Stanton and Simms would do wonders instead of just handing Stanton the job because we took him the second round.

Orlovsky is never going to get a shot. He was a restricted free agent we resigned this year and that should be it for Orlovsky. He had his chance to earn the number 2 job last year but got beat out by O'Sullivan. Sims has way more upside than Orlovsky and way more experience.

Sims got the Bucs to the playoffs, played well in the playoff game(dropped pass from beating the Skins), has a great pedigree, has starting experience and is tough. Worst case scenario(for Sims) he's a starting caliber backup for Stanton in 09 because Stanton won the job legitimately.

Sims has zero upside and has settled in as a rather mediocre QB. Stanton hasn't even proven he can be that good nevermind being a NFL starting QB. You do realize that only 3% of QB's drafted in round 2 over the last 15 years have had any success in the NFL and Stanton was the 3rd QB drafted in round 2 his draft year. The odds of his succeeding are so slim that it is rather foolish to be talking about him as a starter. Only Lion's fans who continually live in a dreamworld would describe Stanton as a realistic starter for the future.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
07-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Sims has zero upside and has settled in as a rather mediocre QB. Stanton hasn't even proven he can be that good nevermind being a NFL starting QB. You do realize that only 3% of QB's drafted in round 2 over the last 15 years have had any success in the NFL and Stanton was the 3rd QB drafted in round 2 his draft year. The odds of his succeeding are so slim that it is rather foolish to be talking about him as a starter. Only Lion's fans who continually live in a dreamworld would describe Stanton as a realistic starter for the future.

Sims has some upside. Staring experience, playoff experience, pedigree, good arm. Thats his upside.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position&position=Quarterbacks

In the last 15 years there have been 11 QBs that have been taken in Round 2 that have been given a chance. 5 from 2007/2008(Brohm,Henne,Kolb,Beck,Stanton) draft you can't count because they haven't been given a chance yet because they are so young.

Out of the 11(which is a very small number to be pulling out percentages), I'd say 3 have been successful. Brees/Plummer(a decent starter) and early in his career Kordell Stewart. 3/11 is 27%. Others such as Jackson is the current starter for their team right now. Very poor first year for Jackson but Vikings fans sure think he will improve. He deserves one more year, unfortunately a lot is riding on his shoulders with the team the Vikings have. Clemens will get his shot this year.

Total bust category you have Quincy Carter(who started but isn't very good), Shaun King(started one year and had success as a manager but wasn't good) and Batch(started out ok in Detroit but then tanked and now is a decent backup in Pit) have had limited success but as staters they are definitely junk. Tuiasosopo doesn't have what hit takes. Tony Banks was never good. And finally Todd Collins who is a career backup had some success last year.

Its possible to have success with Stanton especially with weapons. He's basically a rookie all over again this year in terms of reps and so far has looked like one. Its up to Stanton and Loeffler now. With what was available at QB next year. With Grossman the best option this year in FA, next year probably won't be a whole lot better in free agency. Its either Kitna for a 4th year or push Stanton into it depending on when we draft next year. I'm hoping mid 1st round again at least.

ChezPower4
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
what he hell is that supposed to mean?

They all robbed the Lions blind. They didn't need a mask or a gun

Iamcanadian
07-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Sims has some upside. Staring experience, playoff experience, pedigree, good arm. Thats his upside.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position&position=Quarterbacks

In the last 15 years there have been 11 QBs that have been taken in Round 2 that have been given a chance. 5 from 2007/2008(Brohm,Henne,Kolb,Beck,Stanton) draft you can't count because they haven't been given a chance yet because they are so young.

Out of the 11(which is a very small number to be pulling out percentages), I'd say 3 have been successful. Brees/Plummer(a decent starter) and early in his career Kordell Stewart. 3/11 is 27%. Others such as Jackson is the current starter for their team right now. Very poor first year for Jackson but Vikings fans sure think he will improve. He deserves one more year, unfortunately a lot is riding on his shoulders with the team the Vikings have. Clemens will get his shot this year.

Total bust category you have Quincy Carter(who started but isn't very good), Shaun King(started one year and had success as a manager but wasn't good) and Batch(started out ok in Detroit but then tanked and now is a decent backup in Pit) have had limited success but as staters they are definitely junk. Tuiasosopo doesn't have what hit takes. Tony Banks was never good. And finally Todd Collins who is a career backup had some success last year.

Its possible to have success with Stanton especially with weapons. He's basically a rookie all over again this year in terms of reps and so far has looked like one. Its up to Stanton and Loeffler now. With what was available at QB next year. With Grossman the best option this year in FA, next year probably won't be a whole lot better in free agency. Its either Kitna for a 4th year or push Stanton into it depending on when we draft next year. I'm hoping mid 1st round again at least.

Stewart hardly had a consistant career and was basically done after 2 seasons. Your being very generous to include him on any list of successful starters.
Plummer was Ok although Arizona dumped him and Denver soon realized they couldn't win the big prize with him at QB.
Brees I'll give you.
Simms, please, in a system under Gruden where the QB is simply a game manager, he been totally mediocre but I guess that this might be an upgrade in Detroit.
I expect zero from Clemens this coming season.
I actually think Jackson has the best chance at some success since he came from Alabama St. and was as raw as can be. His best years may well be ahead of him.
In the end, not including those who haven't had a shot, only Brees appears capable of making a SB run and just maybe he flops as well. Obviously San Diego didn't think he had it in him.
I'd say 1/11 is the score right now if your looking for a real successful #2 draft pick who has some capability of carrying a team to the SB and he really hasn't come too close just yet.
I suppose if Stanton gets as good as Palmer, you'd make it down as a success for Detroit. I see it as a total dead end.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
08-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Stewart hardly had a consistant career and was basically done after 2 seasons. Your being very generous to include him on any list of successful starters.
Plummer was Ok although Arizona dumped him and Denver soon realized they couldn't win the big prize with him at QB.
Brees I'll give you.
Simms, please, in a system under Gruden where the QB is simply a game manager, he been totally mediocre but I guess that this might be an upgrade in Detroit.
I expect zero from Clemens this coming season.
I actually think Jackson has the best chance at some success since he came from Alabama St. and was as raw as can be. His best years may well be ahead of him.
In the end, not including those who haven't had a shot, only Brees appears capable of making a SB run and just maybe he flops as well. Obviously San Diego didn't think he had it in him.
I'd say 1/11 is the score right now if your looking for a real successful #2 draft pick who has some capability of carrying a team to the SB and he really hasn't come too close just yet.
I suppose if Stanton gets as good as Palmer, you'd make it down as a success for Detroit. I see it as a total dead end.

Look there are a ton of QBs in every round that can't win the big one, even the 1st round. Plummer was a successful QB relative to a lot of 1st rounders that failed. Stewart is a reach but given Jackson and Clemens are both unknowns, the pool of 2nd round QBs is very small. Stewart started for many years and the Steelers made the playoffs. Either way Brees success or Quincy Carters failure, really has nothing to do with Drew Stanton.

Basically with Stanton, he has as good of chance as any other QB taken recently in the 1st round,2nd or 3rd round to succeed. From 2002-2005 unfortunately the Lions weren't looking for a QB because the geniuses in the FO were working with Harrington. 2006 the Lions could have selected Leinart(but we'd be without Sims), who has proven to be just ok as a starter(a Jake Plummer if you will). . They also could have had Cutler. He showed more promise than Leinart but Denver has missed the playoffs twice so far with him. At that point, we had Martz and Martz likes the veteran QBs so with Kitna and McCown signed it was pointless to take a QB in 2006, especially considering what Rod wanted on D. Ernie Sims was perfect obviously.

2007 the only option in Round 1 was Quinn. Quinn or Calvin? I think we made the right choice at pick number 2. With McCown gone, we had to address the QB of the future though. So it was between Stanton,Edwards,Kolb and Beck. 3 of them are unknowns(including Stanton) and Edwards would be an unknown if he was a Lion(so I'm sure you'd be bashing him and saying he has no chance). Edwards did ok in Buffalo, nothing spectacular, and beat out Losman(which is easier than beating out Kitna). I'll wait and judge Edwards this year. But if Edwards was a Lion, he could still be on the bench. Unfortunately for Stanton, he got hurt and lost a year. So he has to start all over this year.

2008, waiting 3 years to get a future QB after Joey, the Lions FO would be bashed as well. The choices were Flacco(in the 1st round), Brohm, Henne. Right now Stanton has just as good of chance of Leinart/Flacco,Brohm/Henne/Quinn/Kolb/Edwards. Besides Cutler, who we would lose Sims for, I don't think any QB is proven better than Stanton. If we have a high pick next year, then maybe get a QB depending on Stantons progress right now, but I'd much rather get a stud DE or LT if we are picking that high.

And compared to Flacco/Leinart/Matt Ryan/Cutler, Stanton is dirt cheap as a 2nd rounder.

Iamcanadian
08-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Look there are a ton of QBs in every round that can't win the big one, even the 1st round. Plummer was a successful QB relative to a lot of 1st rounders that failed. Stewart is a reach but given Jackson and Clemens are both unknowns, the pool of 2nd round QBs is very small. Stewart started for many years and the Steelers made the playoffs. Either way Brees success or Quincy Carters failure, really has nothing to do with Drew Stanton.

Basically with Stanton, he has as good of chance as any other QB taken recently in the 1st round,2nd or 3rd round to succeed. From 2002-2005 unfortunately the Lions weren't looking for a QB because the geniuses in the FO were working with Harrington. 2006 the Lions could have selected Leinart(but we'd be without Sims), who has proven to be just ok as a starter(a Jake Plummer if you will). . They also could have had Cutler. He showed more promise than Leinart but Denver has missed the playoffs twice so far with him. At that point, we had Martz and Martz likes the veteran QBs so with Kitna and McCown signed it was pointless to take a QB in 2006, especially considering what Rod wanted on D. Ernie Sims was perfect obviously.

2007 the only option in Round 1 was Quinn. Quinn or Calvin? I think we made the right choice at pick number 2. With McCown gone, we had to address the QB of the future though. So it was between Stanton,Edwards,Kolb and Beck. 3 of them are unknowns(including Stanton) and Edwards would be an unknown if he was a Lion(so I'm sure you'd be bashing him and saying he has no chance). Edwards did ok in Buffalo, nothing spectacular, and beat out Losman(which is easier than beating out Kitna). I'll wait and judge Edwards this year. But if Edwards was a Lion, he could still be on the bench. Unfortunately for Stanton, he got hurt and lost a year. So he has to start all over this year.

2008, waiting 3 years to get a future QB after Joey, the Lions FO would be bashed as well. The choices were Flacco(in the 1st round), Brohm, Henne. Right now Stanton has just as good of chance of Leinart/Flacco,Brohm/Henne/Quinn/Kolb/Edwards. Besides Cutler, who we would lose Sims for, I don't think any QB is proven better than Stanton. If we have a high pick next year, then maybe get a QB depending on Stantons progress right now, but I'd much rather get a stud DE or LT if we are picking that high.

And compared to Flacco/Leinart/Matt Ryan/Cutler, Stanton is dirt cheap as a 2nd rounder.

We also could have had Roethlisberger in the 2004 draft but that's another sorry story.
Stanton may be dirt cheap but I'll bet money Flacco/Leinart/Matt Ryan/Cutler and Roethlisberger will all see the playoffs before we ever do. Sure Stanton may turnout to be a sensational QB but let's admit it, it's a huge longshot. Successful franchises by far and large had extremely solid QB's, Millen took a shot with Harrington which at the time excited me but once Harrington flopped, he's been extremely reluctant to try again even though it is the most important position on a team. We really haven't had a solid QB since Layne back some 50 years which probably goes a long way to explain the ineptitude of this franchise over that period.
Kitna's not going to get us to the playoffs and IMO, it's a huge longshot that Stanton ever does either. Until this franchise drafts a solid QB which usually means round 1, we will continue to look up at the stronger franchises for another possible 50 years. It doesnm't matter how many of them flop you have to keep trying until you get it right. Indy drafted Jeff George #1 overall but finally got it right with Peyton, Cincy drafted Akili Smith in the top 5 but finally got it right in Palmer. The smart franchises put their failures behind them and just keep on going until they get it right. That is one of the reasons I hate Millen so much. Yes Harrington flopped but instead of trying until you get it right, he passed on a large # of QB's looking rather ridiculous drafting WR's until he became a laughing stock and turned our franchise into one as well.
The New York Giants understood the principal and gave up a ton of talent to get Eli = playoffs every year except his rookie season = Super Bowl champions. We can draft every other position on a team from now to kingdom come but until that QB position has a true stud playing for us, we are just wandering in the wilderness.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
08-03-2008, 10:09 AM
2004 was way too early to give up on Joey. It was Moochs' second year and 2003 Charlie Rogers was hurt so again Joey had no weapons to really judge him. Ben was not an option.

Leinart and Cutler means no Ernie Sims and knowing Millen we would have taken Leinart(who is nothing special not Cutler, who should be a good QB).

And as for Matt Ryan, we didn't have the ability to draft him. And Flacco. He's a second round QB IMO. He went to Delaware after not being able to beat out Palko at Pitt. I'll take my chances of Stanton over Flacco.

All the QBs you mentioned just shows me something. You have to get lucky and draft/need a QB early in the correct year. If its a David Carr, Joey Harrington , Alex Smith as the top QB year you are screwed as a franchise. If its a Carson Palmer,Peyton Manning year then you'll have success.

Iamcanadian
08-03-2008, 11:24 PM
2004 was way too early to give up on Joey. It was Moochs' second year and 2003 Charlie Rogers was hurt so again Joey had no weapons to really judge him. Ben was not an option.

I guarantee you Mooch didn't want Harrington in his second year but Millen wasn't prepared to admit he had made a mistake. Any half decent NFL HC can tell whether or not a player has "it" especially after coaching him for a year. Harrington was a terrible WCO QB, an offence that Mooch employed. Fans and Millen may have thought it was too early but I'll bet you that Mooch wanted no part of Harrington.

Leinart and Cutler means no Ernie Sims and knowing Millen we would have taken Leinart(who is nothing special not Cutler, who should be a good QB).

And as for Matt Ryan, we didn't have the ability to draft him. And Flacco. He's a second round QB IMO. He went to Delaware after not being able to beat out Palko at Pitt. I'll take my chances of Stanton over Flacco.

All the QBs you mentioned just shows me something. You have to get lucky and draft/need a QB early in the correct year. If its a David Carr, Joey Harrington , Alex Smith as the top QB year you are screwed as a franchise. If its a Carson Palmer,Peyton Manning year then you'll have success.]

If you examine the draft history of the GM's who draft QB's, you'll find that almost all the flops were picked by some of the worst GM's that ever controlled a football team. Yes, that includes Millen. I agree that if you need a QB, and your draftng early, you have to have one there when you pick or wait another year. You'll notice that Pittsburgh with Roethlisber and Denver with Cutler are proven organizations who had excellent HC's to help appraise their QB prospects, that succeeded in drafting solid NFL QB. I think drafting QB's who succeed comes down to who is your GM and how good is he at appraising talent. Sure Cincy, a terribly run organization, got lucky with Palmer but by far and large good GM's find successful QB's in the draft while rotten GM's pile up flops at every position including QB.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
08-04-2008, 08:49 AM
2004 you couldn't go wrong with a QB(Rivers,Eli,Ben). If we needed a QB that year, which we didn't(unfortunately because 2 years is too early to give up on Joey), we would have found our franchise QB. It was too soon to give up on Joey at that point, so Millen was screwed and the franchise was screwed when your tied to a franchise QB that isn't any good.

And Ben most likely wouldn't have been as successful here as in Pittsburgh. He really didn't blossom fully until last year as a QB. He relied on his running game and defense for his first two years and did enough to win games.

2002/2003 were just really bad years for QBs excpept for Carson and we didn't have the first pick for Carson. If we waited in 2002 and not taken Joey, I gurantee we would have taken one in 2003 so again no Big Ben in 2004 because of that. So if we had the first pick we luckily get Palmer. If we don't we might end up with Leftwich,Boller or Grossman. You can't wait more than 3 years to draft a franchise QB as a GM. Millen went LT then QB. Thats how your supposed to build a franchise. Unfortunately, Backus has become terrible since he resigned(but he wasn't before that) and Joey failed(which nobody assumed he would fail). Then Millen tried too much to give Joey weapons(Rogers,Roy,Mike Williams(becaus Rogers failed/2 injuries).

Shannahan did make the move for Cutler but Plummer got them to the playoffs. Since then they haven't been to the playoffs. Cutler was Shannahan first ever drafted QB. His success had more to do with Jon Elway than anything. If you're lucky enough to inherit a HOF QB(Shannahan) your team will be more successful so the perception of you being a good GM will be better.

Iamcanadian
08-04-2008, 11:37 PM

Shannahan did make the move for Cutler but Plummer got them to the playoffs. Since then they haven't been to the playoffs. Cutler was Shannahan first ever drafted QB. His success had more to do with Jon Elway than anything. If you're lucky enough to inherit a HOF QB(Shannahan) your team will be more successful so the perception of you being a good GM will be better.

I certainly agree that the top HC's look a lot more like geniuses when they are lucky enough to have a top QB. Take their QB away and they become a lot more like good HC's who just cannot make it to the SB.
There certainly is some luck in having a winning franchise, but the fact remains that certain franchises have a long record of success mainly because their GM hires good scouts who in turn enable those teams to draft better than chronic loser teams like Detroit. GM's like Polian simply have a solid skill in assessing talent and rarely misfire no matter how low they are drafting while GM's like Matt Millen are unable to assess talent and often go astray no matter how high they are drafting.

Starvsnr
08-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Well Sims has been cut, I would like to see us signing him. Its not that I'm not satisfied with Kitna or unsure of what Stanton is capable of, it would not hurt and it could end up being a good move.

Iamcanadian
09-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Well Sims has been cut, I would like to see us signing him. Its not that I'm not satisfied with Kitna or unsure of what Stanton is capable of, it would not hurt and it could end up being a good move.

I disagree. Sims is still going to cost a pretty penny and for what. He wasn't all that successful in Gruden's system where really, he is only a game manager. Gruden doesn't expect his QB's to win the game. They are a run first team which should make their passers all that much more effective as teams regularily play 7 or 8 in the box to stop Tampa's running attack. Yet Simms has very poor passing stats. He was listed as the #5 QB on their preseason depth chart behind, Garcia, Greise, McCown, and a rookie named Josh Johnson. You really think that the #5 guy in Tampa can be a successful starter here. Have we really fallen that low.