PDA

View Full Version : Seemingly Easy Way for 2k Sports to Compete with EA

nfrillman
07-14-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure if there is a thread this kind of thing should go in, but I just thought of an easy way for 2k sports to compete against Ea's NFL license. It would be similar to Ken Griffey's Baseball on SNES when he was the only real player on the game and the classic Jim Dowd on MVP 2005. Couldn't they just make teams stationed in all the NFL cities. Then have names like San Francisco Gold Rushers, Washington Indians, New England Patriotics, Philadelphia Golden Eagles, Cincinnati Tigers, San Diego Lightning Bolts, etc. Then just have an "edit team" option where people could change the teams to the NFL teams. They could then simply create fake players that all correspond with an NFL player. They could then use a concept similar to EA's Locker Room that is being used by people put real names on NCAA 2009. 2k could have their own version and of course massive roster updates with correct player names would turn up.

Brent
07-14-2008, 08:42 PM
I think the last NFL blitz game did that.

nfrillman
07-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I think the last NFL blitz game did that.

Yeah, but NFL Blitz blows, lol. As far as realism goes at least.

Brent
07-14-2008, 09:03 PM
regardless, if you are just now thinking of this, odds are someone else already has.

CJSchneider
07-14-2008, 10:38 PM
I could be off on this, but it just seems like some lawyer who writes contracts for a living would have thought of this and found some way to protect against it in the licensing.

Shane P. Hallam
07-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Yeah, it would be very tricky and not worth the hassle since 2K would get massacred in sales anyway.

They tried All-Pro, and it was the best idea yet, but failed miserably. They can't compete, 'nugh said.

iworshipbender
07-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Here's a way for 2k to compete: make a product worth buying.

Shane P. Hallam
07-15-2008, 12:12 AM
They do, it's called NBA 2K8

Smokey Joe
07-15-2008, 02:33 AM
I miss MVP Baseball...

fenikz
07-15-2008, 02:48 AM
I miss MVP Baseball...

i still play mvp 04 and commie still plays mvp 05, dg did too until he bought one of the new ones

PACKmanN
07-15-2008, 03:37 AM
They do, it's called NBA 2K8

and it has a large amount of success. I laugh at people who think EA would even try if 2K was still making football games. Look at their NBA game and 2k NBA game, EA's game is crap, and never improve, while 2k's game is always improving.

Addict
07-15-2008, 04:09 AM
they do the name-changing thing in Fifa games... I don't know if it's still the case but Pro Evolution used to do it I know that much. Didn't really bother anyone.

rchrd
07-15-2008, 12:04 PM
they do the name-changing thing in Fifa games... I don't know if it's still the case but Pro Evolution used to do it I know that much. Didn't really bother anyone.

Yeah Konami has been doing it with Pro Evolution for years, but they tried to move away from it for one reason or another and the game failed miserably.

M.O.T.H.
07-15-2008, 12:14 PM
I dont like the direction the NBA 2K series has gone in. I like 2k7 a lot more than 2K8, same goes for College Hoops. I hate how the player slides forward whenever you shoot and College Hoops shooting is so horribly sporadic on higher difficulty levels that it isnt even fun.

AlexDown
07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure if there is a thread this kind of thing should go in, but I just thought of an easy way for 2k sports to compete against Ea's NFL license. It would be similar to Ken Griffey's Baseball on SNES when he was the only real player on the game and the classic Jim Dowd on MVP 2005. Couldn't they just make teams stationed in all the NFL cities. Then have names like San Francisco Gold Rushers, Washington Indians, New England Patriotics, Philadelphia Golden Eagles, Cincinnati Tigers, San Diego Lightning Bolts, etc. Then just have an "edit team" option where people could change the teams to the NFL teams. They could then simply create fake players that all correspond with an NFL player. They could then use a concept similar to EA's Locker Room that is being used by people put real names on NCAA 2009. 2k could have their own version and of course massive roster updates with correct player names would turn up.

I wouldn't, as probably well as 99% of the people, spend the time doing that.

neko4
07-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Does the contract EA has with the NFL end soon?
Hopefully 2K will just save their money until it does and just make a super game that blows EA out of the water. Also why dont they make an NCAA game? I dont even think EA can have a contract for that.

awfullyquiet
07-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Does the contract EA has with the NFL end soon?
Hopefully 2K will just save their money until it does and just make a super game that blows EA out of the water. Also why dont they make an NCAA game? I dont even think EA can have a contract for that.

EA bought Take Two studios 2 months ago. Where was everyone?
Because, now, it doesn't really matter, 2K doesn't exist.

Shane P. Hallam
07-16-2008, 01:36 AM
But why not have pointless banter anyway?

awfullyquiet
07-16-2008, 01:41 AM
But why not have pointless banter anyway?

you are the queen of no-fun. :(

i like watching inane ideas get off the ground and use poison-arrow-frog darts to knock them down.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-16-2008, 02:38 AM
EA bought Take Two studios 2 months ago. Where was everyone?
Because, now, it doesn't really matter, 2K doesn't exist.No they didn't. But they are still trying really hard to do so.

Two things...

1. It's getting harder and harder for Take-Two Interactive (the fine fellows behind those 2k sport games) to even be a company with EA threatening a hostile takeover. They've held to their guns, but it wouldn't shock me to see EA buy them up sometime in the next year. In that event, the very best we can hope for is that they keep the obvious talent in that company and applies it to their own sport franchises. The 2k basketball games are superior to anything else on the market. Take-Two owns the third party rights to the MLB, so that might open up the possibility of MVP Baseball making a next-gen comeback. And certainly, I think Madden could use some of the perspective from the guys who made the excellent 2k football games. I'm sure that Rockstar would be mostly unaffected by EA buying Take-Two, because they are a ******* huge cash cow and will be left alone to make their games in peace.

2. I doubt that Madden ever loses the sole right to the NFL license. Remember, the NFL sought to give the license to one developer and once their current contract with EA runs out their only two options will be the most popular sport franchise in video games or some company that hasn't made a football game in more than half a decade (assuming Take2 are still around and independant). Madden may not have re-invented the wheel recently, but they haven't dropped the ball and they've been good for the sport of football.

awfullyquiet
07-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Its only a matter of time before take two is bought by EA though. They want the franchises, they want GTA, they want the Rockstar Franchises. And by combining the two companies. Which they will, for closer to 30 dollars a share instead of 23 dollars a share, the shareholders will pretty much sell the company to EA. EA will have Take Two. Mark my words.

EA will own 2k, so why worry about it?

Brothgar
07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I always wondered why they didn't go the other way. make high school football games one for each state. I know every high school kid would want to play as themselves in a sports game hell that is what the Madden Superstar function is all about. But now you are playing with your friends on your team. I'm sure nearly every high school football player would buy it.

Brent
07-16-2008, 01:51 PM
I always wondered why they didn't go the other way. make high school football games one for each state.
That is a bad idea. 1) there are too many schools, 2) the amount of research needed would be ridiculous, 3) anyone not in HS would have little-to-zero interest in such a game.

neko4
07-16-2008, 01:56 PM
I always wondered why they didn't go the other way. make high school football games one for each state. I know every high school kid would want to play as themselves in a sports game hell that is what the Madden Superstar function is all about. But now you are playing with your friends on your team. I'm sure nearly every high school football player would buy it.

A-That would cost alot of money
B-Theres not enough highschool football players in states like Alaska and Wyoming
C-I wouldnt want my friends to see my rating

Ofcourse they could make less games for states that have less kids, but still thats alot of wrk

Though I would totally buy it

Geo
07-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm surprisingly impressed with Madden 09, because it looks like they've put genuine effort thus far (let's see how much of a glitchy mess it may turn out to be, NCAA 09 is getting deservingly battered for its miscues). I think they've got a new director in charge, who is critical of the series and what's wrong about it.

That said, I love 2K Football. Have since the Dreamcast, those guys are the best imo. I've already bought a copy of All-Pro 2K8 (only $10 at Best Buy is a steal and may be cheaper elsewhere), despite the fact that I don't have a 360 yet, because APF 2K9 doesn't seem to be happening.

I dearly hope they are hard at work on APF 2K10, and/or that they go Winning Eleven-style and use the NFL with just different names.

Shane P. Hallam
07-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm surprisingly impressed with Madden 09, because it looks like they've put genuine effort thus far (let's see how much of a glitchy mess it may turn out to be, NCAA 09 is getting deservingly battered for its miscues). I think they've got a new director in charge, who is critical of the series and what's wrong about it.

That said, I love 2K Football. Have since the Dreamcast, those guys are the best imo. I've already bought a copy of All-Pro 2K8 (only $10 at Best Buy is a steal and may be cheaper elsewhere), despite the fact that I don't have a 360 yet, because APF 2K9 doesn't seem to be happening.

I dearly hope they are hard at work on APF 2K10, and/or that they go Winning Eleven-style and use the NFL with just different names.

Though, the miscues have been on the new features EA was TRYING to improve (and have once they start working!)

Geo
07-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Horrible glitches and broken gameplay, ex. no pass rush, isn't part of new features. That's the game for crying out loud.

awfullyquiet
07-16-2008, 02:36 PM

Every high school kid who plays football can imagine themselves as said madden or college player, why project added complexity?

Wyoming? Idaho? Alaska?

Shane P. Hallam
07-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Horrible glitches and broken gameplay, ex. no pass rush, isn't part of new features. That's the game for crying out loud.

Then I'm not sure what game you are playing. I'm getting some solid pass rush, especially when jumping the snap

Brothgar
07-16-2008, 09:45 PM
That is a bad idea. 1) there are too many schools, 2) the amount of research needed would be ridiculous, 3) anyone not in HS would have little-to-zero interest in such a game.

1) This is why it would have to be done by state I doubt there is more teams in a state than om Div I NCAA (I didn't do the research on this but I'm going out on a limb here)

2) Research could be done by coaches if you had a uniform system to convert 40's bench press relevent stats can be translated into other measures will they be perfect? No but Madden's ratings are never perfect either.

3. True but Madden Sold approx 2.4 Mil copies on X-Box 360. So no it won't sniff Madden's numbers but one thing I do know abaout parents is that if their kid is going to be feaatured in a video game and they know about it they will buy it. You could safly say that 75% of high school football players own a copy you will reach well over two million copies. Which is very successful for a video game franchises.

A-That would cost alot of money
B-Theres not enough highschool football players in states like Alaska and Wyoming
C-I wouldnt want my friends to see my rating

Ofcourse they could make less games for states that have less kids, but still thats alot of wrk

Though I would totally buy it

A) Really the player creation if done like I said above would be reletivly cheap all the research would be done from a computer terminal. Because the player creation process is reletivly low programming effort compared to the game's physics and graphics engine that every sports game has to comes up with. Hell they have been able to fit the player creation code into every football game since the Sega Genesis.

B) Ha ha you do have me there. I wasn't really thinking of Alaska Wyoming nor Hawaii when I came up with the concept.

C) Ha I wouldn't have wanted my friends to see my rating either.

Every high school kid who plays football can imagine themselves as said madden or college player, why project added complexity?

Wyoming? Idaho? Alaska?
Yeah we all make ourselves maybe our best friends in NCAA and Madden but ...
1) They don't have license for NFL or NCAA so High School is your only shot.

2) I don't know about anyone else but I would love to play as my High school squad playing against our cross the bridge rivals beating them down. With the whole team roster