PDA

View Full Version : The Finance Thread

cunningham06
07-15-2008, 01:52 AM
I've been getting more and more into investing lately, and was wondering if anyone else on here is. I am a shareholder of Hansen Natural (HANS), Illinois Tool Works (ITW), and World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). I just sold Buffalo Wild Wings for a nice profit a few months ago.

Hansen is really killing me right now, I'm just going to try to ride out the storm and counting on Monster Energy Drink Sales to rise.

Illinois Tool Works looks to be a good investment over the next couple of years. I got the idea to invest in it from Mad Money.

WWE is my big dividend stock, I just recently got it. It's also a Mad Money favorite.

So what companies are you guys invested in?

*Any discussion of the housing market and oil price must be from an economic perspective*

D-Boy
07-15-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm into the markets for some of my cash. I'm in big pharma, agriculture, and Canada mostly. Markets are a mess right now though so I'm holding off making any more moves until things shape up.

bsaza2358
07-15-2008, 08:44 AM
I have my entire net worth in Berkshire Hathaway. I co-own 1 share with my parents, and I also have 10 B shares. Excellent growth stocks with solid diversification and cash flows. My retirement account assets are in the American Funds Growth Fund of America.

Leveraged Buyout
07-15-2008, 08:49 AM
I have my entire net worth in Berkshire Hathaway. I co-own 1 share with my parents, and I also have 10 B shares. Excellent growth stocks with solid diversification and cash flows. My retirement account assets are in the American Funds Growth Fund of America.

Nothing like putting all your eggs in one basket...

bsaza2358
07-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Yes, one diversified basket. With your user name, you should have a good idea about how broad Berskhire's holdings are? On top of it, Growth Fund of America is one of the best mutual funds in terms of performance over the last 10 years. Anything tangible in response?

Leveraged Buyout
07-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Yes, one diversified basket. With your user name, you should have a good idea about how broad Berskhire's holdings are? On top of it, Growth Fund of America is one of the best mutual funds in terms of performance over the last 10 years. Anything tangible in response?

Berkshire's core business is insurance (which is inherently risky). Yes, it invests and owns many companies but many are in retail and manufacturing. It's not even close to as diversified as something like a broad market-based ETF. Still, it is a reasonably safe investment but I would not make it the only holding in my portfolio considering it doesn't invest in many important sectors.

I don't invest in mutual funds and never will. I don't see a benefit to them versus the cost.

Also, always remember that past performance is not an indicator of future performance. Every good investor will tell you not to chase past results.

jballa838
07-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Monster's sales will rise in august, because main customer is college kids who use it in school.

Turtlepower
07-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Monster's sales will rise in august, because main customer is college kids who use it in school.

But the entire energy drink market rose too quickly with too many companies trying to get their own slice of the pie. I do foresee a slight rise in August, but I don't believe that they will ever be high enough to equate for the massive drop-off.

jballa838
07-15-2008, 10:13 AM
But the entire energy drink market rose too quickly with too many companies trying to get their own slice of the pie. I do foresee a slight rise in August, but I don't believe that they will ever be high enough to equate for the massive drop-off.
Yeah, I dont think they'll ever be able to replicate the early success, but I don't see them dropping off the earth either.

cunningham06
07-15-2008, 10:27 AM

That's what I'm hoping for. Sales have taken a hit because a lot of people get their gas at grocery stores as part of a package deal to save more money; and a lot of Monsters sales came from gas stations. It's truly amazing how oil price affects nearly everything in the market. It's like a domino effect.

Leveraged Buyout
07-15-2008, 10:33 AM
That's what I'm hoping for. Sales have taken a hit because a lot of people get their gas at grocery stores as part of a package deal to save more money; and a lot of Monsters sales came from gas stations. It's truly amazing how oil price affects nearly everything in the market. It's like a domino effect.

I'm not sold on Monster. I like the energy/health drink market over the long-term but I wouldn't be comfortable betting only on Monster because more and more competitors are going to be joining this industry. How much, if any, of the pie will Monster retain? How much will they sacrifice to keep market share? It's just risky to invest in sectors that have a lot of change ahead of them in terms of the major players.

SuperKevin
07-15-2008, 10:34 AM
On any given day out here in Iraq the store on base will sell between 200-400 Monsters a Day.

I recently just recieved a 24,000 dollar bonus to re-enlist. Add to that the 14,000 dollars I managed to put aside in savings over the last 7 months and a 50,000 dollar college fund that I am taking control of in September. I'm trying to think of what to do with this money. Any good investments out there?

bsaza2358
07-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Berkshire's core business is insurance (which is inherently risky). Yes, it invests and owns many companies but many are in retail and manufacturing. It's not even close to as diversified as something like a broad market-based ETF. Still, it is a reasonably safe investment but I would not make it the only holding in my portfolio considering it doesn't invest in many important sectors.

I don't invest in mutual funds and never will. I don't see a benefit to them versus the cost.

Also, always remember that past performance is not an indicator of future performance. Every good investor will tell you not to chase past results.

I am well aware of where my money is invested. Almost all of the Berkshire insurance holdings are reinsurance, which is inherently less risky and more profitable than being primary on many of these policies. There are also major holdings in Coca Cola, Sees Candy, Nebraska Furniture Mart (cash cow), and Buffet is expanding cautiously, but aggressively into China and Israel with other ventures. The financials are rock solid.

I agree that I need some more diversification. However, at age 28 and given Warren Buffett's 50 years of extreme success as an investor, I'm not in a bad place. Also, $110k in invested assets outside of retirement savings at age 28 is pretty strong.

I need to have my 401(k) in mutual funds. GFofA is the best fund available for that kind of situation.

bsaza2358
07-15-2008, 10:48 AM
LBO, what do you do for a living? Are you an analyst? Banker? FP?

JT Marlin
07-15-2008, 10:49 AM
I am well aware of where my money is invested. Almost all of the Berkshire insurance holdings are reinsurance, which is inherently less risky and more profitable than being primary on many of these policies. There are also major holdings in Coca Cola, Sees Candy, Nebraska Furniture Mart (cash cow), and Buffet is expanding cautiously, but aggressively into China and Israel with other ventures. The financials are rock solid.

I agree that I need some more diversification. However, at age 28 and given Warren Buffett's 50 years of extreme success as an investor, I'm not in a bad place. Also, $110k in invested assets outside of retirement savings at age 28 is pretty strong.

I need to have my 401(k) in mutual funds. GFofA is the best fund available for that kind of situation.

Warren Buffet isn't going to be around much longer. Like I said, Berkshire Hathaway is a pretty safe stock, but it's far from infallible. I would definitely recommend diversification, as you acknowledged.

Does your employer force you to invest in mutual funds? I'm not very familiar with the 401k.

bsaza2358
07-15-2008, 10:50 AM
We get some Franklin Funds, a few Oppenheimers, and all of American Funds' to invest in. Forced to pick a mutual fund or a money market index, which is a useless thing. GFofA is the strongest performer out of that group by far.

JT Marlin
07-15-2008, 10:50 AM

Can't give specifics, but I work at an investment bank in a front-office role.

SuperKevin
07-15-2008, 10:51 AM

It's probably Moses

bsaza2358
07-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Don't need much more in specifics. That is specific enough...

Appreciate the insight, though.

Out of curiosity, what workstation do you use? Bloomberg? T1?

JT Marlin
07-15-2008, 10:52 AM
We get some Franklin Funds, a few Oppenheimers, and all of American Funds' to invest in. Forced to pick a mutual fund or a money market index, which is a useless thing. GFofA is the strongest performer out of that group by far.

Ah, I see. I guess they want to make sure you are diversified. Makes sense I guess, but I wonder why they don't offer the choice of some ETFs.

cunningham06
07-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm not sold on Monster. I like the energy/health drink market over the long-term but I wouldn't be comfortable betting only on Monster because more and more competitors are going to be joining this industry. How much, if any, of the pie will Monster retain? How much will they sacrifice to keep market share? It's just risky to invest in sectors that have a lot of change ahead of them in terms of the major players.

It's a very tough industry. Red Bull has a very strong foothold, but Monster has been gaining slightly. There are lots of different companies participating in the "new energy drink fad" but Monster and Red Bull are definitely the most popular. Hansen Natural earlier this year reached an agreement with PepsiCo Canada, and Anheuser-Busch to get better better shelf space and therefore a greater product visibility level.

That being said HANS has more products than just Monster, they also produce natural sodas that aren't as sugary as traditional sodas. Monster is by far the bread winner for the company, but it has other prospects as well.

bsaza2358
07-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Because they suck. However, I get 5% of my salary matched in 401(k) if I contribute 3%. I do that and put the rest in an investment account. Grabbed the Berkshire stock about a month ago. I'm contemplaying cashing the Berkshire B and getting a nice mix of growth/income stocks. I like Nintendo as a small piece of what I want to do. Also want to invest in some overseas REIT's. I'm told that Europeans are buying up huge swatches of NY real estate. That'll pay off huge in about 2 years.

JT Marlin
07-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Don't need much more in specifics. That is specific enough...

Appreciate the insight, though.

Out of curiosity, what workstation do you use? Bloomberg? T1?

Whichever one gets my team lunch. ;)

Bloombergs are all I've seen here.

JT Marlin
07-15-2008, 10:57 AM
It's probably Moses

Obviously. I have to make a new account every 10 posts. :D

YAYareaRB
07-15-2008, 10:59 AM

No to mention the many idiots that drink before sports activities like football.

bsaza2358
07-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Whichever one gets my team lunch. ;)

Bloombergs are all I've seen here.

Gotcha. I work for TRI. My team does wealth management front and back office tools for financial planners. We have a new suite of tools that came when we purchased Reuters in April.

JT Marlin
07-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Because they suck. However, I get 5% of my salary matched in 401(k) if I contribute 3%. I do that and put the rest in an investment account. Grabbed the Berkshire stock about a month ago. I'm contemplaying cashing the Berkshire B and getting a nice mix of growth/income stocks. I like Nintendo as a small piece of what I want to do. Also want to invest in some overseas REIT's. I'm told that Europeans are buying up huge swatches of NY real estate. That'll pay off huge in about 2 years.

You're young, so you can definitely afford to take some riskier equity positions.

I'm not sold on NY real estate right now just because it hasn't really been hit by the credit crisis. I would imagine there are better values in markets like Florida or California. That said, I'm far from an expert in real estate.

bsaza2358
07-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Me either, but these European outfits have the cheap dollar and plenty of cash to invest. I'm sure they're buying everywhere.

JT Marlin
07-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Gotcha. I work for TRI. My team does wealth management front and back office tools for financial planners. We have a new suite of tools that came when we purchased Reuters in April.

So you're in technology? Engineer? Computer scientist?

JT Marlin
07-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Me either, but these European outfits have the cheap dollar and plenty of cash to invest. I'm sure they're buying everywhere.

True. America is a cheap place to invest right now with the dollar as low as it is.

bsaza2358
07-15-2008, 11:21 AM
So you're in technology? Engineer? Computer scientist?

Product management. I listen to you and your people about what they need, then I design products to meet your needs and tell the developers what to design.

awfullyquiet
07-15-2008, 01:03 PM
No to mention the many idiots that drink before sports activities like football.

You think too small scale. It's not just demand that raises price. You can have all the demand in the world and still fail as a company.

Anyway. I loathe the way stocks are being traded lately, and the pigheadedness of investers to log money into greed, CEO's to focus less about what's good for their company, and what's better for the bottom line, and basically the ridiculousness of the market. I avoid it like the plague, except for the fact i'm doing a mobile telcom project for some investment firm, and have to hear it all day. People are bitches.

Bzaza, hurray for project managers! i'm not alone anymore!

I suck at managing my money for my age. Not to say i don't have a bunch invested, but, according to all the 'guys' in investment i work with who want to give me a 'tip' and by 'tip' i mean, use their knowledge and slimyness to hit on me, they always tell me i play too conservative. Which is true. And I know that. I'm just so freaking risk averse ever since i started really investing five years ago. Why? Because wealth accumulation has never really interested me (see the non-ponied-up honda prelude in my garage).

Part of the sucking at managing money is that i have like a bajillion dollars constantly cycling around in a moneymarket, where it could be invested and not barely beating inflation.

Georgia Bush
07-15-2008, 01:08 PM
You think too small scale. It's not just demand that raises price. You can have all the demand in the world and still fail as a company.

Anyway. I loathe the way stocks are being traded lately, and the pigheadedness of investers to log money into greed, CEO's to focus less about what's good for their company, and what's better for the bottom line, and basically the ridiculousness of the market. I avoid it like the plague, except for the fact i'm doing a mobile telcom project for some investment firm, and have to hear it all day. People are bitches.

Bzaza, hurray for project managers! i'm not alone anymore!

I suck at managing my money for my age. Not to say i don't have a bunch invested, but, according to all the 'guys' in investment i work with who want to give me a 'tip' and by 'tip' i mean, use their knowledge and slimyness to hit on me, they always tell me i play too conservative. Which is true. And I know that. I'm just so freaking risk averse ever since i started really investing five years ago. Why? Because wealth accumulation has never really interested me (see the non-ponied-up honda prelude in my garage).

Part of the sucking at managing money is that i have like a bajillion dollars constantly cycling around in a moneymarket, where it could be invested and not barely beating inflation.

Wealth is freedom. I don't really understand why you wouldn't take a few hours to learn the basics of investing so you can have your money work for you. After all, retiring early or having a few extra toys/vacation is something that I think most people could indentify with.

awfullyquiet
07-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Wealth is freedom. I don't really understand why you wouldn't take a few hours to learn the basics of investing so you can have your money work for you. After all, retiring early or having a few extra toys/vacation is something that I think most people could indentify with.

An excess of wealth doesn't increase freedom though.

Georgia Bush
07-15-2008, 01:21 PM
An excess of wealth doesn't increase freedom though.

I would argue that it does. But anyway, that's irrelevant.

The fact is that you're working. If your boss walked into your office and said "Hey, want a $5,000 raise?" would you say no? Of course not. So why turn down the opportunity to invest money and earn income off of it?

awfullyquiet
07-15-2008, 02:08 PM
I would argue that it does. But anyway, that's irrelevant.

The fact is that you're working. If your boss walked into your office and said "Hey, want a $5,000 raise?" would you say no? Of course not. So why turn down the opportunity to invest money and earn income off of it?

Of course you can argue that. But, it's my personal belief, not law of the land. I like my freeness like free speech, not free beer. Material goods excite me like watching maury povich on tv.

But I do invest, just not at a 'normal' aggressive pace like most 20 somethings. I don't think i was very clear on that... I wouldn't turn down a raise (unless it was to be in a position i wasn't willing to)... I'm terribly risk averse, i'll take the 8% a year with index funds, bonds, a small smattering of LTH stocks. Because what's the greatest force in the universe? Compound interest. It really doesn't matter how much I invest of the 25k a year i put into my savings... compound interest at 8 percent right now, for the next five, six years before i really decide... right now though, i'm just stockpiling between that and the value of my property i own.

cunningham06
07-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Finally a really good day, this has been a tough month. Hopefully oil prices will continue to drop. I think the price was inflated due to speculation in large part, and now some sort of equilibrium price will be reached.

CJSchneider
07-16-2008, 11:16 PM
The safe way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket.
-- Frank McKinney Hubbard

I thought it was my grampa who coined that phrase, but apparently it was that guy.

jayceheathman
07-16-2008, 11:40 PM
The whole market in general is sucking so just about every stock is killing everyone. That is unless you are short selling then you are really happy. Then again to short sell a lot of brokerage firms require that you have at least 1 million in assets because its too risky.

Back on topic, I own Marvel (MVL) and Dynamic Materials (BOOM). Boom is destroying me because I forgot all about a conference call and usually those always do bad so I try to sell. I forgot about it and it fell 18% in after hours. Fidelity doesnt do after hour trading so I was stuck just watching it fall. Then I figured it couldnt get lower but I was WAY wrong.

MVL I am down a little bit but not too much. I thought Iron Man would really take the stock up and up but it didnt do a thing. Montley Fool said that Paramount wont distribute the funds until later so Marvel wont see their money until the end of the year. Then they dont have any films set for 09 so not much is going to happen.

Addict
07-17-2008, 07:46 AM
silly Americans... here in europe we pray for 4 bucks a gallon gas prizes.

Damix
07-17-2008, 08:50 AM
I put all my money in ING =(

SuperKevin
07-17-2008, 09:19 AM
MVL I am down a little bit but not too much. I thought Iron Man would really take the stock up and up but it didnt do a thing. Montley Fool said that Paramount wont distribute the funds until later so Marvel wont see their money until the end of the year. Then they dont have any films set for 09 so not much is going to happen.

Isn't the Wolverine movie coming out in 2009?

Also Silver Surfer and the Magneto movie are set for 2009.

Brent
07-17-2008, 10:46 AM
silly Americans... here in europe we pray for 4 bucks a gallon gas prizes.
What is a Gas Prize? Is that like what you get in Cracker Jacks?

bsaza2358
07-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Gas prize = what you get about 20 minutes after eating Taco Bell.

Brent
07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Gas prize = what you get about 20 minutes after eating at a chain restaurant.
fixed it for you

bsaza2358
07-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Eh. I'm uninspired...

jayceheathman
07-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Isn't the Wolverine movie coming out in 2009?

Also Silver Surfer and the Magneto movie are set for 2009.

They could be but all the articles I read said they dont have anything in store for '09 but I could be wrong. I will have to go research it a little more.

cunningham06
07-17-2008, 12:25 PM
They could be but all the articles I read said they dont have anything in store for '09 but I could be wrong. I will have to go research it a little more.

Marvel also gets a share of video game sales, so if there isn't a movie a new spiderman game could come out or something. I wish I had bought Marvel 7 years ago, I would be doing pretty well.

jayceheathman
07-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Marvel also gets a share of video game sales, so if there isn't a movie a new spiderman game could come out or something. I wish I had bought Marvel 7 years ago, I would be doing pretty well.

I wish I did too. Its up a good 400% just in the last 4 or 5 years. I just bought in a little before Iron Man came out and I am down like 3%.

They also dominate the comic book industry so I am hoping that all these super hero movies can boost sales for comics as well.

cunningham06
07-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I wish I did too. Its up a good 400% just in the last 4 or 5 years. I just bought in a little before Iron Man came out and I am down like 3%.

Given the time period you invested in that's pretty good. Most of the ones I bought recently are killing me right now.

jayceheathman
07-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Given the time period you invested in that's pretty good. Most of the ones I bought recently are killing me right now.

Surprisingly, Marvel hasnt dropped a ton like the rest of the market has lately. Then again, yesterday's big jump up helped me only be down around the 3% range. My other stock is destroying me though. I almost doubled my money and now I am in the hole a lot. I still cant get good at selling at the right time.

awfullyquiet
07-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Surprisingly, Marvel hasnt dropped a ton like the rest of the market has lately. Then again, yesterday's big jump up helped me only be down around the 3% range. My other stock is destroying me though. I almost doubled my money and now I am in the hole a lot. I still cant get good at selling at the right time.

I think marvel is a holder. If you look long term here, and their expansion, licensing, they'll have a bunch of crap on the horizon, which, if you stick it out till 2012, you'll probably be thanking yourself. patience. patience. patience.

Eaglez.Fan
07-17-2008, 03:42 PM
What about Marvel's short term health? I want to get into Marvel but should I wait for a drop or just take it as it is. And I am going into this for long-term.

awfullyquiet
07-17-2008, 04:23 PM
What about Marvel's short term health? I want to get into Marvel but should I wait for a drop or just take it as it is. And I am going into this for long-term.

Screw hype. The six, maybe seven stocks I've invested in (besides the options i have from the company i'm currently with), i've only invested in because they are solid players, not necessarly blue chip, but better suited for 'growth'.

In a year i'd probably start heading more towards buying shares of whole foods after we get some possible recoup after rising food prices.

Anyway. You're pretty much going to be in a lull. Find a bad market day. Pick a price point where you'd be comfortable buying it at. And buy what you want when it gets there.

SuperKevin
07-17-2008, 04:30 PM
I intend on finding out which company is getting the rights to the new off shore oil drilling Bush has allowed.

awfullyquiet
07-17-2008, 04:32 PM
I intend on finding out which company is getting the rights to the new off shore oil drilling Bush has allowed.

Congress isn't going to allow it, so. I doubt it matters.

BlindSite
07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Different country so my line is a bit different.

I buy stock in small mining companies that go public for the first time. Its a little bit boom or bust because generally they go public for quick cash to expand. Lately there's been a few new mining licenses handed out in Australia so these small companies go public, expand, use the cash to gear up, work their asses off, then get bought out (share price sky rockets) by the giants like Rio Tinto.

I buy 1,000 dollars worth of shares every year, I started at 17, I figure that when I'm 60 and looking to retire 40,000 should have matured.

I take the mining share money once i've sold my shares and then I put it into blue chip (slow gain, slow return, highest possible security). I never sell those unless its a can't miss sale.

In 3 years I've made a stack of money. There's another mining company who's about to be bought out in about 15 months time by a Chinese conglomerate too. So I just sunk a small fortune into their shares. I also hit a small jackpot when the Rudd Government gave a research grant to a small power company powering parts of my state. Their share price tripled over night. I only had like 200 bucks work of shares at the time in the company, but it made me enough money to get a few xbox games etc.

Best thing you can do is start young, buy energy and mining stocks, when they go up, put it into shares from banks and insurance.

BlindSite
07-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Congress isn't going to allow it, so. I doubt it matters.

Buy in a drilling company anyway and pull out before the announcement. Basically you get a small return for minimal risk.

awfullyquiet
07-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Buy in a drilling company anyway and pull out before the announcement. Basically you get a small return for minimal risk.

Bush won't be able to name who gets drilling rights, because it'll never get out of congress.

The government shouldn't chose anyway, it's bad business.

jayceheathman
07-17-2008, 06:07 PM

I will have to go look if Marvel has rights to the Wolverine Movie and if that is coming out in '09 or '10. The Motley Fool says Marvel doesnt have anything planned for '09 and that not much will happen in the short term. Its ony like 18 times earnings which is good considering I looked back 5 years ago and the stock was priced at 32 times earnings. Iron Man 2 they are trying to get done by 2010 although they dont want to give a raise to the director so everyone is holding out for now. It also mentioned that Marvel wont get the cash from Iron Man or The Incredible Hulk until around the end of the year. Besides the last two days the market has really sucked and Marvel has hung in there pretty well.

Anybody have any other stocks they like right now? I'm considering selling my other stock that is just destroying me right now.

jayceheathman
07-17-2008, 11:53 PM
What do you guys think of Time Warner? (TWX) I almost want to buy it since they own Warner Bros. which is producing the Dark Night.

awfullyquiet
07-18-2008, 12:13 AM
What do you guys think of Time Warner? (TWX) I almost want to buy it since they own Warner Bros. which is producing the Dark Night.

Way too late, way too finicky. Don't go by current events, go by company health, and for as much as i can think of. Time Warner isn't great, good, but not great...

I was thinking. Here's a good rule I hear from Buy and Hold types.

Don't buy anything you wouldn't want to keep for at least seven years.

cunningham06
07-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Anybody have any other stocks they like right now? I'm considering selling my other stock that is just destroying me right now.

That's a tough question right now, the safest way to invest is in a market type that is bullish(very few right now), or a safe stock with a big dividend. WWE has been fluctuating a lot between 16 and 15 dollars per share, anywhere close to 15 is a good buy.

What I would suggest if you are just looking for ideas is watch Mad Money with Jim Cramer every day for about 2 weeks, listen to his pitches and pick a company you like.

"New Tech" is the industry he's very bullish on, and the company that I liked the most that he did a segment on was Illinois Tool Works. They were just in a bidding war for Enodis, and bought out Trymer; so the stock price temporarily is down because of this investment of capital. Cramer set a buy price at 52, and right now it is at 47. It is a good 5 year investment.

Buffalo Wild Wings is a good company to observe for a little while. If the stock price drops below 24 I would make a move on it. It's a very well managed company with pretty solid national presence despite its small market cap. It's a great growth stock, but you've got to have balls to deal with how much it fluctuates. It went up 70 % from the time I bought it in January until I sold it in Mid May. Good short term gain, but that is uncommon.

So I dunno if any of this helps but give these companies a look I like them and they are well managed corporations.

cunningham06
08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Whole Foods got hammered today with earnings 30% below expected. I'm thinking about sitting on it for a month or two and then buying it. What do you guys think?

Yvan Eht Nioj
08-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Whole Foods got hammered today with earnings 30% below expected. I'm thinking about sitting on it for a month or two and then buying it. What do you guys think?

Hard to say what you should do in a month or two but...

Consumer's have less money in their pocket. They're not going to pay more for groceries, especially with food costs skyrocketing as it is. I think organic food growth is low until the economy recovers.

Also, Wal-Mart is making plays in the organic sector who is a scary thing for competitors. You might want to wait a bit and see how that plays out because Wal-Mart can crush companies very quickly.

All that said, I love buying into companies that get squashed off news. A lot of the time the news isn't as bad as the stock price drop would indicate and there's good value to be had.

bored of education
08-06-2008, 12:44 PM
I am on my way to become a CFP ! ! !

bored of education
08-06-2008, 12:45 PM
August 5, 2008

The Dow Jones Industrial Average surged 330 points as oil prices continued to fall and the Federal Reserve kept interest rates unchanged. Gains were widespread, with 20 of the average's 30 components advancing on the day. The S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite Index also surged. Crude oil fell $2.24 a barrel, or 1.8%, to end Nymex trading at $119.17. That marked the lowest settlement for the front-month contract since May 2 and left oil down 18% from its early July record.

Yvan Eht Nioj
08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
August 5, 2008

The Dow Jones Industrial Average surged 330 points as oil prices continued to fall and the Federal Reserve kept interest rates unchanged. Gains were widespread, with 20 of the average's 30 components advancing on the day. The S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite Index also surged. Crude oil fell $2.24 a barrel, or 1.8%, to end Nymex trading at $119.17. That marked the lowest settlement for the front-month contract since May 2 and left oil down 18% from its early July record.

It's a good day but I got hurt badly by commodity prices falling this week.

bored of education
08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Commodities is a tough market, yet at times can be more predictable. What are you invested in, I haven't read the thread?

Yvan Eht Nioj
08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Commodities is a tough market, yet at times can be more predictable. What are you invested in, I haven't read the thread?

I'm not going to list my portfolio but I have a lot of exposure to agriculture, healthcare, and Canada right now. I also just got into an REIT today.

Commodities just rose too fast and are coming back to Earth now. A lot of profit taking and reducing exposure in my opinion.

slightlyaraiderfan
08-06-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm not going to list my portfolio but I have a lot of exposure to agriculture, healthcare, and Canada right now. I also just got into an REIT today.

Commodities just rose too fast and are coming back to Earth now. A lot of profit taking and reducing exposure in my opinion.
Hello moses.

bored of education
08-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Any shares of Tupac?

Detox
08-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Any shares of Tupac?

I should have bought Death Row Records when it was in bankruptcy auction.

jayceheathman
08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
That's a tough question right now, the safest way to invest is in a market type that is bullish(very few right now), or a safe stock with a big dividend. WWE has been fluctuating a lot between 16 and 15 dollars per share, anywhere close to 15 is a good buy.

What I would suggest if you are just looking for ideas is watch Mad Money with Jim Cramer every day for about 2 weeks, listen to his pitches and pick a company you like.

"New Tech" is the industry he's very bullish on, and the company that I liked the most that he did a segment on was Illinois Tool Works. They were just in a bidding war for Enodis, and bought out Trymer; so the stock price temporarily is down because of this investment of capital. Cramer set a buy price at 52, and right now it is at 47. It is a good 5 year investment.

Buffalo Wild Wings is a good company to observe for a little while. If the stock price drops below 24 I would make a move on it. It's a very well managed company with pretty solid national presence despite its small market cap. It's a great growth stock, but you've got to have balls to deal with how much it fluctuates. It went up 70 % from the time I bought it in January until I sold it in Mid May. Good short term gain, but that is uncommon.

So I dunno if any of this helps but give these companies a look I like them and they are well managed corporations.

I dont think Jim Cramer is all that good. I used to follow his advice when he said he bought a lot of shares of a similar stock. It would go up a little bit and then it will drop considerably when he sells his shares to get the profit he made off of suckering everyone in. I have read too many message boards on different companies on Yahoo Finance and they all think the same thing. He is an entertainer first and gets almost all of his money from that show. Secondly, its not like he cares if anyone loses a lot of money.

Marvel got destroyed yesterday but its making a lot of ground up today. Its up over 8%.

PocketFullOfGloves
08-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I dont think Jim Cramer is all that good. I used to follow his advice when he said he bought a lot of shares of a similar stock. It would go up a little bit and then it will drop considerably when he sells his shares to get the profit he made off of suckering everyone in. I have read too many message boards on different companies on Yahoo Finance and they all think the same thing. He is an entertainer first and gets almost all of his money from that show. Secondly, its not like he cares if anyone loses a lot of money.

Marvel got destroyed yesterday but its making a lot of ground up today. Its up over 8%.

Cramer is just another talking head. Plus, you don't make money doing what the rest of the market is doing.

jayceheathman
08-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Way too late, way too finicky. Don't go by current events, go by company health, and for as much as i can think of. Time Warner isn't great, good, but not great...

I was thinking. Here's a good rule I hear from Buy and Hold types.

Don't buy anything you wouldn't want to keep for at least seven years.

I looked into it and Time Warner has WAY too many shares outstanding for them to care about The Dark Knight. The company has SO many assets that a couple hundred million isnt going to do much for them. TDK hasnt even been in the news for them.