PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning has knee surgery, out 4-6 weeks

Geo
07-15-2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2008-07-14-peytonmanning-surgery_N.htm

Peyton Manning has knee surgery, is out six weeks

By Mike Chappell
July 15, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS — Peyton Manning underwent surgery to remove an infected bursa sac from his left knee Monday afternoon, sending a jolt of uncertainty through the Indianapolis Colts organization.

With his rehabilitation expected to last as long as six weeks, there is a chance the two-time NFL Most Valuable Player and eight-time Pro Bowler may not be ready when the Colts open the regular season — and usher in the Lucas Oil Stadium era — Sept. 7 against the Chicago Bears.

In a statement released by the team Monday evening, team president Bill Polian described the surgery as "routine," adding team physicians "expect a full and complete return to action in four to six weeks."

That timetable makes it likely Manning will miss the bulk of training camp, which opens July 24 in Terre Haute, Ind., and the five-game preseason schedule. Barring any complications, Manning should have enough time to regain his timing and conditioning and be ready for the regular-season opener.

Manning, 32, has started all 160 regular-season games during his 10-year career, the longest streak among active quarterbacks. He has taken every snap in 134 of those 160 games and 9,778 of 10,098 snaps (96.8 percent) overall since being taken with the first pick in the 1998 draft.

Manning has missed only one play because of injury during the regular season. He sustained a fractured jaw against the Miami Dolphins on Nov. 11, 2001, that briefly sent him to the sideline.

Manning's injury will focus the attention on Jim Sorgi, his seldom-used backup for the past four seasons. The team's 2004 sixth-round draft pick has compiled modest stats while appearing in only 14 games: a 90.4 passer rating, 61.1 completion percentage, 751 yards, six touchdowns and one interception.

The only other quarterbacks on the roster are Josh Betts, who spent last season on the practice squad, and Adam Tafralis, a rookie free agent out of San Jose State.

Considering Manning's status, another quarterback might be signed for the preseason.

Polian said Manning had been receiving "conservative treatment" for an inflamed bursa in his left knee from team physicians since February. The treatment was considered productive until Manning began experiencing increased pain and early signs of infection, according to Polian.

This isn't the first time Manning has had to deal with a bursa problem. As a senior at the University of Tennessee, he suffered a ruptured bursa sac in his right knee in a 1997 Southeastern Conference championship game win over Auburn. He spent a few days in the hospital, then played in the Volunteers' Orange Bowl loss to Nebraska.
Hopefully he heals up fully and quickly, I wonder if this is tied to the freakish bump he's had on one of his knees for the last few years. I think he'll be okay for the season opener, let's not start worrying about that now.

Really getting frustrated with the Colts' medical staff right now, though. It's nearing time for Mr. Irsay to overhaul that department, possibly.

MaxV
07-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh great, that's all we need.

awfullyquiet
07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Rise of the Sorgi!

d34ng3l021
07-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Noooooo Manning!

Dam8610
07-15-2008, 02:13 PM
4 weeks: August 12th
6 weeks: August 26th

In all likelihood he'll be back midway through training camp.

yourfavestoner
07-15-2008, 02:18 PM
4 weeks: August 12th
6 weeks: August 26th

In all likelihood he'll be back midway through training camp.

Stupid media is always trying to make something out of nothing.

Geo
07-15-2008, 03:15 PM
ESPN has handled this fairly from what I've seen so far, including when it broke yesterday and they had John Clayton come on. The idiots at the Indystar are the ones putting the season opener in doubt, which I think is searching for the negative and worrying way too soon. Sure there could be a setback, but let's see what happens first.

I wonder if the Colts will bring in another QB to take some preseason snaps. Funny enough, I was wondering what if the Colts picked up Byron Leftwich two days or so ago. They may not though, because of roster limitations and having to play 5 games this preseason. I think/hope Peyton will play the last two, where he'd normally skip the last one, but we'll see.

If anything, the whole injury concern of the team will only ensure the media and the like will not be sold on the Colts this year. Good.

Geo
07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Recent blurb from rotoworld fwiw:

Peyton Manning-QB- Colts Jul. 15 - 4:14 pm et

ESPN's Shaun King spoke to Tony Dungy about Peyton Manning's knee injury, and Dungy believes that three weeks may be a more realistic timetable for his return.

The Colts will be very careful with Manning, so it seems unlikely that he'll play much, if at all, in the exhibition season. But if Dungy proves correct, Manning could be back practicing weeks before the season begins. He's still our number two ranked quarterback.
Shaun King, friend to the Colts.

Dam8610
07-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Shaun King, friend to the Colts.

He DID spend a couple training camps with the team...

d34ng3l021
07-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Man. I would have thought being out for "4-6 weeks" would have opened ways for Brees or Romo or Palmer for the number 2 spot.

Prowler
08-12-2008, 09:25 AM
a little bird told me that manning had surgery on his rotator cuff too....and that's why he's been locked inside his mansion this offseason....and that he could potentially be out until week 3 of the regular season but should be back in time for the opener.

it kind of makes sense, since if it was only his knee, well he could just limp around on crutches on the sidelines or atleast show up to camp. but if its his shoulder too then they wouldn't want opposing teams and the media to know or see his arm in a sling.

Dam8610
08-12-2008, 11:09 AM
a little bird told me that manning had surgery on his rotator cuff too....and that's why he's been locked inside his mansion this offseason....and that he could potentially be out until week 3 of the regular season but should be back in time for the opener.

it kind of makes sense, since if it was only his knee, well he could just limp around on crutches on the sidelines or atleast show up to camp. but if its his shoulder too then they wouldn't want opposing teams and the media to know or see his arm in a sling.

When your "little bird" has some credible sources to back him up, I'll believe him. Until then, I choose to believe the date of return the team announced for not only Manning, but also Bob and Freeney, of August 15th.

Geo
08-12-2008, 12:43 PM
That's quite the rumor. Honestly, I'm not sure something about that wouldn't have leaked somehow and somewhere, no matter how hard both parties tried to keep it under wraps.

We'll see soon enough, when Manning returns to practice as I can't fathom the Colts rushing him back if his shoulder/arm is involved. Even if it means a slow start to the season, though the first two games are against NFC North teams, then a tough game against the Jags at home, and the Week 4 bye.