PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Eagles Draft

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ryan0022
01-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Bro, TJ has never been a number 1 WR. If he comes to Philly he wont have a guy to take on the double teams like he did in Cincy with Ocho Cinco. Boldin would be a much better WR for us.

How many games was Chad out this year, and he had 90 catches for 900+ yards on a bad team with an even worse QB.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh 92 catches 904 YDS 4 TD
Chad Johnson 53 catches 540 yds 4 TD

Chad Johnson 93, 1440, 8
T.J. Houshmandzadeh 112, 1143, 12

He put up better numbers then Chad (there supposed #1) the last 2 years.. The numbers don't lie and he puts up #1 receiver stats.

...and I'm not your "Bro" but thanks for the offer.

Eaglez.Fan
01-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Meh on TJ. He's not a playmaker, nor will ever be. In the last two years he's averaged right around 10 yards a catch. he has good hands and seems very reliable but we need a guy to demand a double team and take away some of the attention from Westbrook, McNabb and Jackson. If Philly goes after a WR he's got to be a top notch number one guy. There is no use for getting a possession WR like TJ, there are cheaper and just as good options out there if that's what the team wants.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-29-2009, 05:29 PM

Shut up p***y. These guys don't wanna be your bro and I don't blame them.
http://www.canmag.com/images/front/people/clinteastwood.jpg

Zyro_1014
01-29-2009, 06:08 PM
How many games was Chad out this year, and he had 90 catches for 900+ yards on a bad team with an even worse QB.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh 92 catches 904 YDS 4 TD
Chad Johnson 53 catches 540 yds 4 TD

Chad Johnson 93, 1440, 8
T.J. Houshmandzadeh 112, 1143, 12

He put up better numbers then Chad (there supposed #1) the last 2 years.. The numbers don't lie and he puts up #1 receiver stats.

thats right, i forgot that stats are EVERYTHING! once again man, you dont know how many double teams that Chad drew this year, which opened up alot of room for TJ. BRO!

you're not contributing anything to this board.

camp_eagles
01-29-2009, 07:38 PM

YES the best post in the history of this site.

ryan0022
01-30-2009, 09:27 AM

Wow... didn't know it was such a big deal to post my opinion and actually start some conversation here BRO.

News flash I'm not on here to be someone's Bro, I'm here to talk about the eagles, and I guess expressing an opinion is not an option. Thanks for your intellectual post though, you provided great information and it was really well thought out...

ryan0022
01-30-2009, 09:28 AM
YES the best post in the history of this site.

He's probably the world's greatest poster!!!!

ryan0022
01-30-2009, 09:39 AM
thats right, i forgot that stats are EVERYTHING! once again man, you dont know how many double teams that Chad drew this year, which opened up alot of room for TJ. BRO!

you're not contributing anything to this board.

There was nothing going on in this board....

I understand your point and no stats aren't everything, and I'm not saying that TJ is better then boldin, because he's not. All I am saying is the Cards are going to want a lot in return for him, probably more then the eagles are willing to give up, look at what the cowboys ave up for Roy Williams becasue the Cards will want more then that.

I know how many double teams Chad draws, but to say that TJ had 91 receptions this year all becasue of Chad is wrong, and again he had a backup QB throwing him the ball.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Wow... didn't know it was such a big deal to post my opinion and actually start some conversation here BRO.

News flash I'm not on here to be someone's Bro, I'm here to talk about the eagles, and I guess expressing an opinion is not an option. Thanks for your intellectual post though, you provided great information and it was really well thought out...

Obviously you don't have a sense of humor. As for my opinion Bodin>>>TJ. We don't need a reliable guy, we need a playmaker. TJ has never proven himself to be a #1 receiver. Yes he has put up solid numbers as a #2, but we have yet to see what he can do as a #1. As for Boldin, he has put up the numbers and proven himself as a #1 before Fitz was there. He gives us the explosive guy that can make big catches and get the YAC that we need. He will not only help our passing game with his skills, but he will draw the double teams opening things up for our other receivers.

Zyro_1014
01-30-2009, 12:39 PM

well, we are all BROS here in the eagles forum so get over it!

damn son, freak out more.

Go_Eagles77
01-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Biggest over-reaction to being called "bro" in history?

eaglesalltheway
01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Bro, TJ has never been a number 1 WR. If he comes to Philly he wont have a guy to take on the double teams like he did in Cincy with Ocho Cinco. Boldin would be a much better WR for us.

Though I agree I'd rather have Boldin, bringing up TJ never being the #1 really doesn't matter, because Boldin (technically( was never a #1 in AZ.

But ryan, the reason I like Boldin better is because he is more talented, younger, and fits the offense much better than TJ, though TJ isn't exactly a non-fit. I think the extra Boldin brings is worht that first and thrid rounder, though I am not against the team signing Housh if they cant get Boldin...

eaglesalltheway
01-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Gran Torino is a great movie. I know its not intended to be funny, but there are some parts of that movie where I was literally rolling on the floor laughing. But I do realize what the movie is getting across and it really conveys a good message in the end, despite all the racial remarks. This is basically a convoluted +rep post for a Gran Torino reference.

eaglesalltheway
01-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Biggest over-reaction to being called "bro" in history?

Perhaps, though it resulted in one of the best posts ever...

Zyro_1014
01-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Though I agree I'd rather have Boldin, bringing up TJ never being the #1 really doesn't matter, because Boldin (technically( was never a #1 in AZ.

But ryan, the reason I like Boldin better is because he is more talented, younger, and fits the offense much better than TJ, though TJ isn't exactly a non-fit. I think the extra Boldin brings is worht that first and thrid rounder, though I am not against the team signing Housh if they cant get Boldin...

well he did play the role of being the number 1 before Fitz was there.

eaglesalltheway
01-30-2009, 02:25 PM
well he did play the role of being the number 1 before Fitz was there.

Not exactly... He was drafted in 2003 (either that or 02) in the second round, the cards drafted WR Bryant Johnson in the first round that year, so he wasn't really given that opportunity right off the bat. Now I know by his 3rd or 4th week, because of his production he was basically their #1. But he was never given those duties on paper (I know, who cares about paper). I realize their opponents viewed him as the #1 that season, so I can see what you mean there, but that was really only for one season. The next season Fitz arrived, adn then Boldin really wasn't the #1, more like 1b.Hold on a sec and I'll see if I can find his stats for his rookie year, not that stats are everything, I'm acutally interested a bit myself.

eaglesalltheway
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
101 Receptions
1,377 Yards
13.6 YPC average
8 TDs.
I know stats don't tell the whole story, but that is his lone year as (technically) the #1 WR, and it is his rookie year!

Boldin in this system as the #1 now fully matured is a much better option than Housh, IMO, and worth at least a first and third.

Eaglez.Fan
01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
If Boldin has a good game on Sunday there is very little chance he is traded. Arizona would get destroyed by the press and there own fans if they traded Boldin after a good Superbowl. If he doesn't have a good game, I could see a package of Lito, a 1st and maybe a 4th. I'd do that for sure.

Zyro_1014
01-30-2009, 06:32 PM
If Boldin has a good game on Sunday there is very little chance he is traded. Arizona would get destroyed by the press and there own fans if they traded Boldin after a good Superbowl. If he doesn't have a good game, I could see a package of Lito, a 1st and maybe a 4th. I'd do that for sure.

damn son, i would be so down for that lol.

we can only dream right now though :)

Todd Bertuzzi
01-30-2009, 07:24 PM
101 Receptions
1,377 Yards
13.6 YPC average
8 TDs.
I know stats don't tell the whole story, but that is his lone year as (technically) the #1 WR, and it is his rookie year!

Boldin in this system as the #1 now fully matured is a much better option than Housh, IMO, and worth at least a first and third.

And if I'm not mistaken he set the rookie record for most receptions in a season with those 101 receptions.

twista6002
01-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Kenny Britt could be that #1 we need

Todd Bertuzzi
01-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Yes I definitely say we should target Britt or Nicks if we can't land Boldin. Especially since we have the two first rounders, which will allow us to address the o-line and add a potential #1 guy at the same time.

Zyro_1014
01-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Kenny Britt could be that #1 we need

Id rather have Nicks, but thats just me.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Id rather have Nicks, but thats just me.

I second this, but I would still be fine with taking Britt if Nicks is gone.

gameplaya2435
01-31-2009, 09:19 AM
^ He is so hood!

Zyro_1014
01-31-2009, 06:00 PM
^ He is so hood!

thats an understatement lol

eaglesalltheway
02-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Yes I definitely say we should target Britt or Nicks if we can't land Boldin. Especially since we have the two first rounders, which will allow us to address the o-line and add a potential #1 guy at the same time.

Those are my exact thoughts on our WR situation. We try for Boldin, if that doesn't work, maybe take a shot at Housh, but only if we can get a bargain. Then we use either our second first round pick on Nicks or Britt. After that, the only viable option would be going after Ramses Barden if we could get him in the third, but I am not as big a fan of him as I am Britt or Nicks.

Sniper
02-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Some guy on here made a mock that went like this for the Eagles.

1A. Alex Mack, C, Cal
1B. Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
2. Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
3. Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty

I spent a good 10 minutes laughing.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1491150#post1491150

Go_Eagles77
02-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Some guy on here made a mock that went like this for the Eagles.

1A. Alex Mack, C, Cal
1B. Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
2. Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
3. Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty

I spent a good 10 minutes laughing.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1491150#post1491150
The Eagles have a need at four of the five positions on the offensive lineLOL! Wow what a *******.

eaglesalltheway
02-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Wow, that truly is amazing, but I can't beleive that someone would even think that....

camp_eagles
02-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I hate how just because we draft Oline in the First round when we need it that people think we do it every round just for fun.

eaglesalltheway
02-14-2009, 02:04 PM
I hate how just because we draft Oline in the First round when we need it that people think we do it every round just for fun.

I wish people woudl realize this... Sure we drafted linemen early a lot recently, that's because we needed help along the lines when we did so, The only true exception, IMO is last year with Laws, and that was a BPA situations a bit, though DT was a need last season.

Sniper
02-14-2009, 03:02 PM
I wish people woudl realize this... Sure we drafted linemen early a lot recently, that's because we needed help along the lines when we did so, The only true exception, IMO is last year with Laws, and that was a BPA situations a bit, though DT was a need last season.

Laws was a big need. Bunkley and Patterson can't play the whole game. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the Eagles pick up a DT this year in the fourth or fifth round. I'm of the belief that you need four good DTs.

eaglesalltheway
02-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Laws was a big need. Bunkley and Patterson can't play the whole game. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the Eagles pick up a DT this year in the fourth or fifth round. I'm of the belief that you need four good DTs.

Agreed. What I meant was this time last year DT wasn't considered a big enough need that we would pick a DT first (or close to it, I don't remember who was first, him or DeSean). I wouldn't have put DT second last year either though. OL was a bigger need, as well as SLB, and S, and WR. I have been saying since the season started that I could see the Eagles taking a DT as early as the fourth round, maybe earlier, like the third, depending on how they fill out their needs. We need a bigger type DT to give us that great 4 man rotation, so we don't have to use our DEs in there so much.

Todd Bertuzzi
02-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Laws was first.

eaglesalltheway
02-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Laws was first.

I thought so, but I wasn't 100% sure, and I didn't feel like looking it up, haha. Still, that strengthens my point a little bit.

Sniper
02-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Word has it Reid wanted DeSean at 19 but knew he'd get a ****storm from the media (and me at the time :D) so he traded down. Apparently he was ******* psyched as all hell when he got him later on.

eaglesalltheway
02-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Word has it Reid wanted DeSean at 19 but knew he'd get a ****storm from the media (and me at the time :D) so he traded down. Apparently he was ******* psyched as all hell when he got him later on.

He probably celebrated by eating a chicken, whole.

Go_Eagles77
02-15-2009, 01:34 PM
If the eagles would have just picked Otah in round 1, I wonder if they would have picked Laws or DeSean in round 2, they picked Laws first, but that might be because the redskins already picked a WR and the eagles didn't know they were gonna pick 2.

eaglesalltheway
02-15-2009, 01:47 PM
If the eagles would have just picked Otah in round 1, I wonder if they would have picked Laws or DeSean in round 2, they picked Laws first, but that might be because the redskins already picked a WR and the eagles didn't know they were gonna pick 2.

If what Sniper said is true, I'd bet they would've picked DeSean.

OTcoach
02-16-2009, 01:06 PM

Any thoughts that you guys might package your 2 1st Rd picks and move up to grab one of the four stud LT's? Or is the need for another playmaker to great?

What's up with S. Andrews will he ever be back to take over for Runyan?

Sniper
02-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Any thoughts that you guys might package your 2 1st Rd picks and move up to grab one of the four stud LT's? Or is the need for another playmaker to great?

Too many needs.

What's up with S. Andrews will he ever be back to take over for Runyan?

No. He's giving up football to become a nun. :D

Seriously, I doubt Andrews ever plays RT. He's just too good at his current position.

Alive.

eaglesalltheway
02-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Alive.

That was assumed...haha

I.R Baboon
02-24-2009, 09:12 PM
New to the board. About the housh trade talk i personally dont take we should take him. He is old and I would take Boldin over him in a heart beat (if i had to choose) but for the draft there has been alot of of TE talk. I dont think we should take one Brent Clek has really stepped up but i wouldnt cry over a TE taken

Go_Eagles77
02-25-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm sure Todd Bertuzzi will like this.

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021909aaa.html

Among the coaches I met today were Bill Belichik and Andy Reid, who said I would look good with some wings on my helmet

Todd Bertuzzi
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Pettigrew+Nicks=Great Success

Assuming we sign a tackle or land someone like Loadholt in the 2nd.

BuffaloBillsFan
02-25-2009, 04:58 PM

hahahaha!

Philly fans crack me up!

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 06:37 AM
New to the board. About the housh trade talk i personally dont take we should take him. He is old and I would take Boldin over him in a heart beat (if i had to choose) but for the draft there has been alot of of TE talk. I dont think we should take one Brent Clek has really stepped up but i wouldnt cry over a TE taken

I'm not the biggest proponent of Housh either, though he would be an upgrade. Something tells me he's gonna want the big bucks and the FO won't (and shouldn't) give it to him. There has been a good deal of TE talk. I think if the Eagles could get Pettigrew then its worth a TE, but Celek is a guy who I like, and has shown some flashes of being a great TE for our offense. He is reliable and tough, something that not many players on our offense have. There were games when he was in where it seemed Donovan was looking to get the ball to Celek more than any other receiver, and did so, which shows that he trusts Celek. (I value the QB-receiver trust pretty highly) As I said, if we get Pettigrew, that goes a long way to helping in the blocking game, but if we get Cook, or another TE whose more of a vertical threat than Celek, that could be dangerous for our opponenets as well. I wouldn't say we are in diar need of a TE, but if they take one I'm all for it, if not, I have Celek who (except for the biggest lips in the history of the world) is a sexy man beast at TE.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Pettigrew+Nicks=Great Success

Assuming we sign a tackle or land someone like Loadholt in the 2nd.

I really like Nicks, I used to be a bigger fan of Britt (Sorry scotty if your reading this but...) but now, with the more I've seen of Nicks the more I like from him, and he is my third favorite WR in the class, behind Crabs and Maclin. Just watching him, he is amazing to watch, his hands are incredibly strong, in some of the off-season things I've seen this year, he has so many one handed catches, and he really should be the definition for WRs attacking the ball for the catch, he looks like a tazmanian devil in pads when the ball is thrown to him. He's got great size and is really athletic, runs good routes, hands (as mentioned), and has that YAC ability.

To be perfectly honest, and not to use something thats been done, but he is almost like a blend of Fitzgerald and Boldin, though he doesn't do eithers specialty as well as either of them. He attacks the ball just like Fitz does, I don't think he can jump as high though, and he runs tough, though, I bet its really hard for any WR to run as tough as Boldin.

Any combination of OT/Pettigrew/Nicks/Britt is fine with me...

Buttered toast sonic
02-26-2009, 10:41 AM
just curious: How under the cap are we? I'd LOVE to see housh in an eagles uni, if only so this way he doesn't go to the G-me, if we don't get housh, I think a guy like Kenny britt would be ideal for the eagles

cunningham06
02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
We have quite a bit of room under the cap we are 38 million under not including Joselio Hanson's contract. http://www.eaglescap.com/

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 01:09 PM
just curious: How under the cap are we? I'd LOVE to see housh in an eagles uni, if only so this way he doesn't go to the G-me, if we don't get housh, I think a guy like Kenny britt would be ideal for the eagles

Supposedly, about a month ago, we were ~25 mil under, but I'm not sure how valid that was and how it has changed. Right now I'd say we are anywhere from 28-36 mil under the cap. Either way, plenty of wiggle room to get the guys the team really wants, but expect a typical strategy of keeping that 10-15 mil for a rainy day.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 01:10 PM
We have quite a bit of room under the cap we are 38 million under not including Joselio Hanson's contract. http://www.eaglescap.com/

As I recall, that was approximately 5 mil per year if averaged out. I'm sure it was backloaded a bit, so we probably have around 34-35 mil, near the range I didn't see you had up, haha.

Lord_Anubis
02-26-2009, 03:25 PM
MOST
Tampa Bay — $61 million
Kansas City — $57 million
Philadelphia — $48 million
Denver — $37 million
Green Bay — $34 million

LEAST
Carolina — $1.9 million
New England — $3.2 million
Indianapolis — $6.6 million
Pittsburgh — $7.4 million
Washington — $8.1 million

Reported by Adam Schefter today

Go_Eagles77
02-26-2009, 03:30 PM
With the combination of our current team, the amount of cap room we have, and the number of draft picks, there's no reason the eagles shouldn't be a top team next year.

eaglesalltheway
02-26-2009, 03:33 PM
MOST
Tampa Bay — $61 million
Kansas City — $57 million
Philadelphia — $48 million
Denver — $37 million
Green Bay — $34 million

LEAST
Carolina — $1.9 million
New England — $3.2 million
Indianapolis — $6.6 million
Pittsburgh — $7.4 million
Washington — $8.1 million

Reported by Adam Schefter today
Damn, I like, very nice...

twista6002
03-02-2009, 09:00 PM
With the lack of roster spots and abundance of money I can see Reid trading up to somewhere in the high 2nd using later picks. We might be able to get something like Moreno, Pettigrew, Britt and possibly Alex Mack or Erik Wood.

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 06:37 AM
With the lack of roster spots and abundance of money I can see Reid trading up to somewhere in the high 2nd using later picks. We might be able to get something like Moreno, Pettigrew, Britt and possibly Alex Mack or Erik Wood.

I really doubt Pettigrew and Moreno last until the second, but McCoy is a possible RB who would fit that could be available in the second. I don't think Britt or Mack will either, but crazy things can happen... It wouldn't surprise me if we trade up a bit in the first if an LT falls, as there were quite a few big trades last year where teams only gave up a third to move up 5-8 spots in the first, even if its a second if that's what it takes, we have 8 or 9 picks to use to get back into the second. This draft is going to be more about quality than quantity, and I do not see the Eagles making more than 7 picks. (At least guys that have a realistic shot to make the team anyway.) If the Eagles draft a real FB, though, that frees up two roster spots, just sayin'...

twista6002
03-03-2009, 08:14 AM
I really doubt Pettigrew and Moreno last until the second, but McCoy is a possible RB who would fit that could be available in the second. I don't think Britt or Mack will either, but crazy things can happen... It wouldn't surprise me if we trade up a bit in the first if an LT falls, as there were quite a few big trades last year where teams only gave up a third to move up 5-8 spots in the first, even if its a second if that's what it takes, we have 8 or 9 picks to use to get back into the second. This draft is going to be more about quality than quantity, and I do not see the Eagles making more than 7 picks. (At least guys that have a realistic shot to make the team anyway.) If the Eagles draft a real FB, though, that frees up two roster spots, just sayin'...

Nah I was talking about Moreno and Pettigrew with the 1st 2 picks. If we can make some trades we can pick up an early 2nd. And with the later 2nd get Luigs, Wood or Unger. Reid has a tendency to draft receivers early in round 2 and no RU player has ever been drafted in the 1st. It's not too unreal to think we can get Britt in the 33-40 range. And yea I might dump myself if we can get Fiametta in the 5th

Sniper
03-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Nah I was talking about Moreno and Pettigrew with the 1st 2 picks. If we can make some trades we can pick up an early 2nd. And with the later 2nd get Luigs, Wood or Unger. Reid has a tendency to draft receivers early in round 2 and no RU player has ever been drafted in the 1st. It's not too unreal to think we can get Britt in the 33-40 range. And yea I might dump myself if we can get Fiametta in the 5th

Why would the Eagles go after another interior OL?

twista6002
03-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Why would the Eagles go after another interior OL?

Because our line is awful at run blocking, our best run blocker is a head case, and our other guard is likely moving out to tackle. I don't really think it's too unreasonable to think they just might go after a C/G before or in the mid/late 2nd.

Sniper
03-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Because our line is awful at run blocking, our best run blocker is a head case, and our other guard is likely moving out to tackle. I don't really think it's too unreasonable to think they just might go after a C/G before or in the mid/late 2nd.

A line of Herremans-MJG-Cole-Andrews-Andrews would have no problems run blocking.

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 11:00 AM
A line of Herremans-MJG-Cole-Andrews-Andrews would have no problems run blocking.

Yeah, I know, the only one there who isn't exactly know as a mauler is Herremans. Plus neither of those G/Cs are all that great a run blocking either, and neither are worth an early second or higher for this team...

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Either of the top FBs would be better than what we have right now, wether it be Fiametta or Johnson

Thumper
03-03-2009, 05:23 PM

I think that MJG, Cole and Jackson are good back-ups. Their huge and strong but their not fast off of the line which was a big issue this year for the Eagles. The Eagles players were not getting the initial push and there were no hole for Westbrook to run through. A quick OG/C is a big need IMO. Jamaal Jackson sucks BTW, he allowed 2.25 sacks which ranked 19th among centers and he gets a little push in the run game. I would be thrilled if the Eagles got Alex Mack.

Thumper
03-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Either of the top FBs would be better than what we have right now, wether it be Fiametta or Johnson

I hate to use Dave Spadaro as a source but he said that the FB was used 29% of the time in the offense. A player who plays 29% of the plays does not constitute a draft pick. Just get Conredge Collins as an UDFA, he is the ideal WCO FB.

twista6002
03-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Right now, I'm hoping we can trade Brown and Parker to the Rams for Holt and then use some late rounders to move into the early 2nd and have our draft go
1. Moreno
2. Pettigrew
3. Britt
4. Wood

A guy I used to be skeptical about who's impressing me more and more is Robiskie. He reminds me of David Boston (minus the drama). He'd be a good concelation prize to Britt.

twista6002
03-03-2009, 05:33 PM
I think that MJG, Cole and Jackson are good back-ups. Their huge and strong but their not fast off of the line which was a big issue this year for the Eagles. The Eagles players were not getting the initial push and there were no hole for Westbrook to run through. A quick OG/C is a big need IMO. Jamaal Jackson sucks BTW, he allowed 2.25 sacks which ranked 19th among centers and he gets a little push in the run game. I would be thrilled if the Eagles got Alex Mack.

Jackson is a reliable pass blocker. Keep in mind he gave up 2.25 sacks playing for a team that passes seemingly every down. My beef with him is that he gets off the line slowly on run plays. He always seems like he's on his heels. As far as I'm concerned Cole should be our center. MJG wouldn't be bad at RG is Shawn slides to RT and Stacy to LG. I'd really like to see the kid McGlynn get a shot, he reminds me of a younger smaller Runyan.

twista6002
03-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I hate to use Dave Spadaro as a source but he said that the FB was used 29% of the time in the offense. A player who plays 29% of the plays does not constitute a draft pick. Just get Conredge Collins as an UDFA, he is the ideal WCO FB.

Keep in mind the FB likely wasn't on the field as much because he was a DT. When we had Tapeh he was on the field all the time. Fiametta can catch and fight for yards not to mention he's a ram when it comes to blocking. I'd be ecstatic if we take him in the 5th.

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 08:23 PM

If we can get a top one in the later rounds though, its definitely worth it, and when you consider the team doesn't have many needs, it is well worth drafting a FB, it will save us a roster spot to have an extra player active for gameday, which is very valuable.

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Right now, I'm hoping we can trade Brown and Parker to the Rams for Holt and then use some late rounders to move into the early 2nd and have our draft go
1. Moreno
2. Pettigrew
3. Britt
4. Wood

A guy I used to be skeptical about who's impressing me more and more is Robiskie. He reminds me of David Boston (minus the drama). He'd be a good concelation prize to Britt.

I don't want Holt, he won't improve our WR corps. He is better than everyone except DeSean, and that is even marginal. We would have to cut one of our younger WRs to make room for an old guy who won't be around for more than two years. bleck. Now if we could get say a Nicks or Britt, who will be aorund for the future and has a lot more upside and potential than Holt and our other young WRs, then I'm for it, but Holt won't help us out that much...

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 08:33 PM

MJG would be starting if not for Shawn Andrews, he is very good and will be a road grater if he ever gets the chance. He is strong, angry, and wuicker than given credit for. He has been downfield blocking on screens when he was in, and though his first step isn't as quick as Cole, his first step isn't as horrible as some are making it seem. Hsi feet are quick enough, and he has shown he can be called on to do all the things we would need from him. When he was in last year, he was arguably our best O-linemen, until he got hurt. Cole should at least be given a chance to start at C, but Jackson doesn't suck. That sacks allowed ranking is 19th right. There are 32 teams in the NFL, correct? That puts him right about average, doesn't it? A little below, but not what I would call sucking, especially like Twista said with how often the team passes. Just sayin'... That said though, depending on the situation, I too would be thrilled with Mack, I think he could be an elite NFL center...

I not only like your name, but you seem like a quality poster. You know your stuff and don't seem like a **** about it. I hope you stick around, though I can tell we may bump heads a bit since we don't really agree on much.

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Jackson is a reliable pass blocker. Keep in mind he gave up 2.25 sacks playing for a team that passes seemingly every down. My beef with him is that he gets off the line slowly on run plays. He always seems like he's on his heels. As far as I'm concerned Cole should be our center. MJG wouldn't be bad at RG is Shawn slides to RT and Stacy to LG. I'd really like to see the kid McGlynn get a shot, he reminds me of a younger smaller Runyan.

When he was drafted the word was he could play 4 OL spots, excluding center. I think the coaches like his versatility and his mena streak. Saw it in TC, he is a mean mother... but is a little too aggressive sometimes and got beat in one-on-ones, but looked pretty good. I think Gibson may not be on the team long, there just might not be enough room for him....

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Keep in mind the FB likely wasn't on the field as much because he was a DT. When we had Tapeh he was on the field all the time. Fiametta can catch and fight for yards not to mention he's a ram when it comes to blocking. I'd be ecstatic if we take him in the 5th.

But I think 4 weeks into the season Klecko was changed to jsut a FB. He had his number changed and the only time we saw him was on ST and offense until Eckel was signed. The reason we only had a FB on the field 29% of the time is because we didn't have a real FB on the roster...

twista6002
03-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't want Holt, he won't improve our WR corps. He is better than everyone except DeSean, and that is even marginal. We would have to cut one of our younger WRs to make room for an old guy who won't be around for more than two years. bleck. Now if we could get say a Nicks or Britt, who will be aorund for the future and has a lot more upside and potential than Holt and our other young WRs, then I'm for it, but Holt won't help us out that much...

We'd get rid of Brown with the Holt trade and Lewis is likely going to be cut anyways. Basically Brown and Parker for Holt would be a steal. Holt had a bad year, but keep in mind he was on arguably the worst team in football not named Detroit. Other than this season, which was almost excusable looking at the team around him, Holt has shown no signs of aging. And I'd much rather have him than Harrison. Plus, he's the type of possesion guy we need.

twista6002
03-03-2009, 09:29 PM
When he was drafted the word was he could play 4 OL spots, excluding center. I think the coaches like his versatility and his mena streak. Saw it in TC, he is a mean mother... but is a little too aggressive sometimes and got beat in one-on-ones, but looked pretty good. I think Gibson may not be on the team long, there just might not be enough room for him....

Yea but that's what I want in a lineman, particularly a guard. I'd rather see him go down swinging than be completely stagnant a la Jamaal Jackson. Yea basically I mentioned Gibson only because I couldn't think of a later round LG type. I'd love to see him get pushed he could be a good player. But as for now, I really like McGlynn. His aggressiveness and feet are good for a LG. I don't think his arms are long enough to play LT, and I don't think he has enough strength to play the right side. I wouldn't complain though if we drafted a center and started Cole at LG, or even moved Stacy over there. I just like the kid's potential, and offensive line is one of the few things I trust with Andy Reid. Can the new season start already?

Thumper
03-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Alright the great safety debate...

With the Dawkins gone the Eagles have a couple options.

We can put Demps out and see if he sinks or swims. I love Dawk as much the next guy but come on he had to leave at some point and he evolved into a SS/LB rover that was very good but it limited what the Eagles could do. Now that JJ or McDermott have Demps patrolling centerfield, they're freed up to do more. Demps has more range and coverage ability than Dawkins has at this point in his career. I think Demps is ready, he is confident and won't back down from the challenge, he is athletic enough and he learned from Dawkins and he has adopted a willingness to hit more than before, I think Demps can do well enough. But let me be clear, Demps will never be close to the level Dawkins was on in his prime.

Or we can move Mikell out to FS and get a SS. I think that this really defeats the purpose. Mikell is an all-pro level SS in the scheme and why mess with what works? Then you have to get a SS, who most likely won't know the system and 1st year players on the Eagles hardly ever play unless they're big time players (Asante, Kearse, Owens, Curtis etc. etc.). But the players who are new to the defensive system often don't play right away (Clemons, Howard) because the system is so complex. Where as Demps has been in the system for a year. I don't think it is right but if the Eagles want to try it, go for it.

Now it is obvious that the Eagles need a safety. Considine has finally left Philly (Eagles fans rejoice) and Dawkins Eagles career ended :(. So now the Eagles have 3 safeties on the roster, Demps, Mikell and Byron Parker.

Parker was a big time player in the CFL and he has only been playing football since his freshman year at Tulane where he originally went on a basketball scholarship. He is highly athletic and was a ball-hawk in the CFL. He has tried to make the Cowboys and Jaguars I believe but was cut. But he is VERY raw and he played CB in the CFL so I don't think he will make it.

So that means the Eagles have 2 safties who will make the roster right now.

I love Delmas and I think he is very similar to Dawkins. He is a highly motivational team leader, he is good in coverage and he is more than willing to sacrafice his body to make a statement much like Dawkins. However I think he goes late round 1 or early round 2 and I don't think the Eagles are going to use a pick that high. Not to mention he is a helper within the community at WMU.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2008/09/kalamazoo_at_any_moment.html

I am not as high on Rashad Johnson and I wonder if he is a system guy but I know that there is no doubting his work ethic, smarts and intelligence and his ball skills. He isn't very athletic nor is he a big hitter he is a guy who gets by on intangible things.

William Moore has fallen off the radar with injuries and poor play, but he didn't just loose that skill that made him a top draft prospect, it is still there and in the right system he could be good. I beleive that he fits in well as a SS in the Eagles system due to his run stuffing abilities, he is like a 4th LB. One major job of a SS in the Eagles system is to seal the edge and force the play inside and Moore can do that well. Also I loved all his answers in his interview with Scott Wright where he said he loved Brian Dawkins.

Some of the guys that aren't as highly touted that I like are Chip Vaughn (Wake Forest SS), Chris Clemons (Clemson FS), CJ Spillman (Marshall FS) and Trimane Goddard (North Carolina FS).

twista6002
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I say gives Demps his shot at FS. The dude played well in his few chances. I predict big things from him this year.

brat316
03-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Still need depth right now there are only two safeties on the depth chart.

brat316
03-03-2009, 10:33 PM
shawn Springs would he be an Eagles safety?

twista6002
03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
shawn Springs would he be an Eagles safety?

Maybe if we needed an old, injury prone, overpaid one. I'm thinking we'll take one in the 3rd and another in the 5th if we don't sign one.

eaglesalltheway
03-04-2009, 06:21 AM
We'd get rid of Brown with the Holt trade and Lewis is likely going to be cut anyways. Basically Brown and Parker for Holt would be a steal. Holt had a bad year, but keep in mind he was on arguably the worst team in football not named Detroit. Other than this season, which was almost excusable looking at the team around him, Holt has shown no signs of aging. And I'd much rather have him than Harrison. Plus, he's the type of possesion guy we need.

I'm not arguing Reggie, but losing Parker, who will at least contribute in the DE rotation would hurt a lot. Holt only has 2 years left before he retires, whether it be because he slows down, or just decides to retire. I like him, think he's a great person from what I've seen, but he won't help our offense enough to negate the losses of Juqua and Reggie...

eaglesalltheway
03-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Yea but that's what I want in a lineman, particularly a guard. I'd rather see him go down swinging than be completely stagnant a la Jamaal Jackson. Yea basically I mentioned Gibson only because I couldn't think of a later round LG type. I'd love to see him get pushed he could be a good player. But as for now, I really like McGlynn. His aggressiveness and feet are good for a LG. I don't think his arms are long enough to play LT, and I don't think he has enough strength to play the right side. I wouldn't complain though if we drafted a center and started Cole at LG, or even moved Stacy over there. I just like the kid's potential, and offensive line is one of the few things I trust with Andy Reid. Can the new season start already?

Me too, and he did look like he has great potential, but like you said Reid knows his **** when it comes to Linemen, which is why I think Stacey will be solid for at least a little bit. As I said before in the Eagles thread, I'm not really a big fan of it because he can't play LT, and really takes away from some of the flexibility we had in the OL. Now with him potentially being able to play LG, that frees up things a little bit, but still, there isn't nearly as much flexibility in getting the young OL on the field...

eaglesalltheway
03-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Alright the great safety debate...

With the Dawkins gone the Eagles have a couple options.

We can put Demps out and see if he sinks or swims. I love Dawk as much the next guy but come on he had to leave at some point and he evolved into a SS/LB rover that was very good but it limited what the Eagles could do. Now that JJ or McDermott have Demps patrolling centerfield, they're freed up to do more. Demps has more range and coverage ability than Dawkins has at this point in his career. I think Demps is ready, he is confident and won't back down from the challenge, he is athletic enough and he learned from Dawkins and he has adopted a willingness to hit more than before, I think Demps can do well enough. But let me be clear, Demps will never be close to the level Dawkins was on in his prime.

Or we can move Mikell out to FS and get a SS. I think that this really defeats the purpose. Mikell is an all-pro level SS in the scheme and why mess with what works? Then you have to get a SS, who most likely won't know the system and 1st year players on the Eagles hardly ever play unless they're big time players (Asante, Kearse, Owens, Curtis etc. etc.). But the players who are new to the defensive system often don't play right away (Clemons, Howard) because the system is so complex. Where as Demps has been in the system for a year. I don't think it is right but if the Eagles want to try it, go for it.

Now it is obvious that the Eagles need a safety. Considine has finally left Philly (Eagles fans rejoice) and Dawkins Eagles career ended :(. So now the Eagles have 3 safeties on the roster, Demps, Mikell and Byron Parker.

Parker was a big time player in the CFL and he has only been playing football since his freshman year at Tulane where he originally went on a basketball scholarship. He is highly athletic and was a ball-hawk in the CFL. He has tried to make the Cowboys and Jaguars I believe but was cut. But he is VERY raw and he played CB in the CFL so I don't think he will make it.

So that means the Eagles have 2 safties who will make the roster right now.

I love Delmas and I think he is very similar to Dawkins. He is a highly motivational team leader, he is good in coverage and he is more than willing to sacrafice his body to make a statement much like Dawkins. However I think he goes late round 1 or early round 2 and I don't think the Eagles are going to use a pick that high. Not to mention he is a helper within the community at WMU.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2008/09/kalamazoo_at_any_moment.html

I am not as high on Rashad Johnson and I wonder if he is a system guy but I know that there is no doubting his work ethic, smarts and intelligence and his ball skills. He isn't very athletic nor is he a big hitter he is a guy who gets by on intangible things.

William Moore has fallen off the radar with injuries and poor play, but he didn't just loose that skill that made him a top draft prospect, it is still there and in the right system he could be good. I beleive that he fits in well as a SS in the Eagles system due to his run stuffing abilities, he is like a 4th LB. One major job of a SS in the Eagles system is to seal the edge and force the play inside and Moore can do that well. Also I loved all his answers in his interview with Scott Wright where he said he loved Brian Dawkins.

Some of the guys that aren't as highly touted that I like are Chip Vaughn (Wake Forest SS), Chris Clemons (Clemson FS), CJ Spillman (Marshall FS) and Trimane Goddard (North Carolina FS).

This post is where I see some things we agree on...

We could try to move Mikell, he was playing basically the same role/responsibilities as the FS usually does, but he has the skill set to do it all, and with Demps, who is obvioulsy a better fit at FS, I'm in favor of keeping Mikell at SS and at least giving Demps a shot at FS, where I think he will be a great player. The only player I think would be worth drafting as our SS and moving Miell would be William Moore if we could get him in the second round...

I like a lot of the guys you mentioned, but I also like David Bruton and Michael Hamlin, they would at least be great competition for a starting job and could be starters potentially.

eaglesalltheway
03-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Maybe if we needed an old, injury prone, overpaid one. I'm thinking we'll take one in the 3rd and another in the 5th if we don't sign one.

I saw the team had him in yesterday and the team has him metting the press today, so he's probably going to be signed. I don't know if they sign him as a FS, or what, but I think he would be a good signing depending on the price. He at least brings depth to our secondary, but I think he'll end up staying at CB.

Also, I agree if we go into the draft having not addressed safety, we will look for our FS in that 3rd round range and a SS in that 5th round range.

ljk2171
03-04-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm probably one of the few that likes the Springs signing (assuming they signed him). At worst, he gives them depth at corner and the option to slide either Springs or Sheldon inside. If one of them can make the adjustment to safety then we have a very good secondary yet again, certainly in coverage. I completely agree with eaglesalltheway in that we will use the mid-round picks to address the safety position unless a Sean Smith or Louis Delmas falls to out second round pick.

eaglesalltheway
03-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm probably one of the few that likes the Springs signing (assuming they signed him). At worst, he gives them depth at corner and the option to slide either Springs or Sheldon inside. If one of them can make the adjustment to safety then we have a very good secondary yet again, certainly in coverage. I completely agree with eaglesalltheway in that we will use the mid-round picks to address the safety position unless a Sean Smith or Louis Delmas falls to out second round pick.

I'd like it to, as long as we aren't overpaying for either a 4th CB or a bakcup Safety... He is a pretty good CB, and if (key word) the team moves him to FS, that gives the team a veteran to compete with Demps right away...

eaglesalltheway
03-04-2009, 11:45 AM

If for some ungodly reason Malcolm Jenkins fell in the first, I'd be totally in favor of drafting him as the FS, however those chances are 1 in 1,000,000,000... and that is the only way I'd want the team to invest in a first round safety. If Sean Smith fell, same situation with Jenkins, but just in the second. I'd be for William Moore in the second or third as well if we plan on moving Mikell, but as said before, that isn't the best route to go...

twista6002
03-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm not arguing Reggie, but losing Parker, who will at least contribute in the DE rotation would hurt a lot. Holt only has 2 years left before he retires, whether it be because he slows down, or just decides to retire. I like him, think he's a great person from what I've seen, but he won't help our offense enough to negate the losses of Juqua and Reggie...

I don't mind Parker, but the guy is useless after the first 8 weeks. Look at the last 2 years, he wears down. Plus, the Abiamiri kid showed a lot and is better suited at LE. And I know Spags would love to get Parker. It's win-win as far as I'm concerned.

twista6002
03-04-2009, 01:19 PM
I saw the team had him in yesterday and the team has him metting the press today, so he's probably going to be signed. I don't know if they sign him as a FS, or what, but I think he would be a good signing depending on the price. He at least brings depth to our secondary, but I think he'll end up staying at CB.

Also, I agree if we go into the draft having not addressed safety, we will look for our FS in that 3rd round range and a SS in that 5th round range.

I'd imagine we'd use him at FS, because we have 5 corners on the roster right now, and 3 safeties. I guess he'd give Demps some decent competition. Maybe a viable backup.

If this is true, I guess it's time I start acting like a Springs homer to other fans ;)

On a serious note, does anyone know if he has any experience at FS?

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 06:23 AM
I don't mind Parker, but the guy is useless after the first 8 weeks. Look at the last 2 years, he wears down. Plus, the Abiamiri kid showed a lot and is better suited at LE. And I know Spags would love to get Parker. It's win-win as far as I'm concerned.

I just don't like losing a young WR and a relatively old DE who can help the team to get a older WR who won't really be much of an upgrade.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 06:27 AM
I'd imagine we'd use him at FS, because we have 5 corners on the roster right now, and 3 safeties. I guess he'd give Demps some decent competition. Maybe a viable backup.

If this is true, I guess it's time I start acting like a Springs homer to other fans ;)

On a serious note, does anyone know if he has any experience at FS?

I don't think so, he's been a CB for his entire career.

And isn't it only 4 CBs with Lito being traded? Asante, Sheldon, Hanson, Ike...there is probably someone I'm forgetting, but since we haven't heard anything I'm assuming the signing didn't happen.

He would at least be solid depth, whether at CB or FS, like I said.

ljk2171
03-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Eaglesalltheway, you may have addressed this in one of the previous posts, but I don't feel like searching for an answer. But here is my question after partaking in a group mock with the Eagles (currently going on). I ended up with Maclin and Moreno in the first round, you commented on the Maclin pick and liked it, but what do you think the chances are that they actually take 2 skill position players in the first round? If they are available (which I do not think they will be, maybe Moreno at 21) I think they have to bite and not reach for a Britton or Beatty. I suppose defensive line or corner is always an option considering how highly they value those positions if there is a player really. But back to my original point, is it liekly they actually take 2 skill players in the first round? I'm starting to think yes simply beacuse I think the most value at that portion of the draft will be the the skill players such as Nicks, Heyward-Bey, McCoy, Wells maybe, Donald Brown, etc....

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Eaglesalltheway, you may have addressed this in one of the previous posts, but I don't feel like searching for an answer. But here is my question after partaking in a group mock with the Eagles (currently going on). I ended up with Maclin and Moreno in the first round, you commented on the Maclin pick and liked it, but what do you think the chances are that they actually take 2 skill position players in the first round? If they are available (which I do not think they will be, maybe Moreno at 21) I think they have to bite and not reach for a Britton or Beatty. I suppose defensive line or corner is always an option considering how highly they value those positions if there is a player really. But back to my original point, is it liekly they actually take 2 skill players in the first round? I'm starting to think yes simply beacuse I think the most value at that portion of the draft will be the the skill players such as Nicks, Heyward-Bey, McCoy, Wells maybe, Donald Brown, etc....
I personally think they could take 2 skill position players, but with how they value OL as well, and with Britton and Beatty possibly being available at 28, and both being worth that pick IMO (especially Britton) it is just as likely, if not more likely that OL is addressed. I could see them going a bunch of different ways and think the vlaue at RB, WR, TE, and OL is about the same for the Eagles. If i had to say I'd say its...
20% they go OL/RB or RB/OL
20% they go OL/WR or WR/OL
15% they go RB/WR or RB/WR
15% they go OL/TE or RB/TE or WR/TE
10% they trade up and get a big name guy at one of those positions they like
10% they trade down
10% they do something we are baffled by.

Don't know if that helps, and those numbers are really something I pulled out of my ass, but just think of that as the order in which I think it is possible...

ljk2171
03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
I personally think they could take 2 skill position players, but with how they value OL as well, and with Britton and Beatty possibly being available at 28, and both being worth that pick IMO (especially Britton) it is just as likely, if not more likely that OL is addressed. I could see them going a bunch of different ways and think the vlaue at RB, WR, TE, and OL is about the same for the Eagles. If i had to say I'd say its...
20% they go OL/RB or RB/OL
20% they go OL/WR or WR/OL
15% they go RB/WR or RB/WR
15% they go OL/TE or RB/TE or WR/TE
10% they trade up and get a big name guy at one of those positions they like
10% they trade down
10% they do something we are baffled by.

Don't know if that helps, and those numbers are really something I pulled out of my ass, but just think of that as the order in which I think it is possible...

I agree with that breakdown, deep down I know they are taking a tackle with one of those picks.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 11:03 AM
There really is so much they could do, and I wouldn't truly be surprised by anything. Something that just popped into my head... If they don't get McNabb re-signed, and the coaching staff believes Kolb isn't the future, what are the chances they take Sanchez if he fell? I'd say slim to none, but its one of the things that just popped into my head. I personally like Sanchez, not as much as Stafford, but I think he'll turn into a solid pro. He is a little similar to McNabb now in how he is good in the pocket and athletic, and both seem like laid back guys who have leadership qualities (TBH I think Sanchez seems like more of a leader, not a knock on McNabb, but Sanchez just has something extra when I see him around his teammates on the field). Personally if the coaching staff doesn't have confidence in Kolb, I'd be all for it depending on who else was available. If there are good OT, TE, WR, or RB prospects left I wouldn't like it too much, but if for some reason the targets are gone, I'd accept the pick.

Just an example of one of the F'ed up things I could see happening...

twista6002
03-05-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't think so, he's been a CB for his entire career.

And isn't it only 4 CBs with Lito being traded? Asante, Sheldon, Hanson, Ike...there is probably someone I'm forgetting, but since we haven't heard anything I'm assuming the signing didn't happen.

He would at least be solid depth, whether at CB or FS, like I said.

Trae Williams, whom I liked coming into the draft last year. Don't be surprised if we keep him on the 53 as a 5th corner.

But in his press conference, Springs said him and to FO talked about playing free safety. Besides, we have arguably the best duo of starting corners in football, just spent a ton on a nickle, and have a guy coming off an injury who was once considered a 1st rounder. I really doubt they'd sign this guy to play corner.

twista6002
03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I just don't like losing a young WR and a relatively old DE who can help the team to get a older WR who won't really be much of an upgrade.

How would Holt not be an upgrade? He looked bad this year but if you look at his supporting cast you couldn't blame him. Plus, we'd be getting rid of a huge salary in Brown, whom has no place on this team anymore, and get rid of an old end who shouldn't be a starter and clears up the logjam we have at end.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Trae Williams, whom I liked coming into the draft last year. Don't be surprised if we keep him on the 53 as a 5th corner.

But in his press conference, Springs said him and to FO talked about playing free safety. Besides, we have arguably the best duo of starting corners in football, just spent a ton on a nickle, and have a guy coming off an injury who was once considered a 1st rounder. I really doubt they'd sign this guy to play corner.

I agree he'll probably end up as a FS, but we'll still probably take a FS relatively early as insurance in case he doesn't work out...

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 04:15 PM
How would Holt not be an upgrade? He looked bad this year but if you look at his supporting cast you couldn't blame him. Plus, we'd be getting rid of a huge salary in Brown, whom has no place on this team anymore, and get rid of an old end who shouldn't be a starter and clears up the logjam we have at end.

At this point in his career he is a very good #2 WR, and will only decline. Brown doesn't have a place on the team really, but losing Parker is just too much. You can't have enough pass rushers in the NFL, but you can have enough #2 receivers, and we already have too many...

Todd Bertuzzi
03-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Yeah I don't think we should give up a starting DE in Parker to get Holt. The price on Holt is relatively low and I would much rather give up a 5th for Holt then Parker. Parker may be getting old, but he is still a good player and we don't really have anyone to step in for him.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 05:36 PM
If it was just a 5th for Holt, I'd say why not, but giving up parker and Reggie is too much. Even so, Holt would only help the team for two years, which IMO would push back the developement of some of our younger WRs who don't see the field enough as it is...

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah I don't think we should give up a starting DE in Parker to get Holt. The price on Holt is relatively low and I would much rather give up a 5th for Holt then Parker. Parker may be getting old, but he is still a good player and we don't really have anyone to step in for him.

Todd Bertuzzi, meat Victor Abiamiri, Mr. Abiamiri, this is Mr. Bertuzzi...

That is waaay too many syllables...

Be prepared for Abiamiri, he is going to be very good next year and will probably have the starting LE spot at the start of the season...

twista6002
03-05-2009, 07:59 PM
At this point in his career he is a very good #2 WR, and will only decline. Brown doesn't have a place on the team really, but losing Parker is just too much. You can't have enough pass rushers in the NFL, but you can have enough #2 receivers, and we already have too many...

The thing is Parker isn't a pass rusher after week 8. Our staff uses him as an every down player, which he is not. The only value he'd have is if we used him in pass rush situations and made Abiamiri the main LE, which wouldn't happen. That way he wouldn't wear down (see 2006) and we'd have a better run defender at LE. Not to mention we still have Howard, Clemons and Smith. Parker has no spot on this team, and Holt is still good enough to be a #1 in the right situation.

twista6002
03-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Seriously? I'd say Abiamiri, Clemons and Howard all outplayed him after week 8 last year if not the entire year. Not to mention the kid Smith has a ton of potential. Brown is a lost cause and Parker has no spot, with their salaries getting anything in return is a bonus, and like I mentioned on the right team, Holt is still a great receiver.

twista6002
03-05-2009, 08:03 PM
If it was just a 5th for Holt, I'd say why not, but giving up parker and Reggie is too much. Even so, Holt would only help the team for two years, which IMO would push back the developement of some of our younger WRs who don't see the field enough as it is...

The fact that we drafted DeSean last year and signed Curtis and Brown to big contracts tells me the staff doesn't care if the younger receivers see the field or not. Believe me, I'd love to see Baskett and Avant more, but apparently the coaching staff and I don't see eye to eye.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2009, 09:27 PM
The thing is Parker isn't a pass rusher after week 8. Our staff uses him as an every down player, which he is not. The only value he'd have is if we used him in pass rush situations and made Abiamiri the main LE, which wouldn't happen. That way he wouldn't wear down (see 2006) and we'd have a better run defender at LE. Not to mention we still have Howard, Clemons and Smith. Parker has no spot on this team, and Holt is still good enough to be a #1 in the right situation.

Abiamiri will get the starting LE spot... Book it. Quote me if you have to. Parker won't have to be used as an every down player, and won't wear down, so his value stays high. Bryan Smith looked really raw in TC and preseason, but he's got a lot of talent to tap into. He could be solid depth, but why get rid of solid depth in and hope the unproven guy steps it up? I think you are putting too much value into palyer slaries. We won't just unload everybody who is getting paid more than they are owrth, especially considering our cap situation. And even if the slaaries is a big deal, I'm sure Holt's contract isn't small either...

Thumper
03-17-2009, 12:50 PM
There is a sleeper that I REALLY like from Florida St. (actually 2).

Kenny Ingram. He is a freak of nature. He is a SS turned LB and he is 6'6" and 230+ pounds with tons of athletic ability, he could be great with some good coaching.

I also like Antone Smith and I think he can be used just like Leon Washington. Smith timed in at 4.25 at his pro day, that is scary fast. He can return kicks, catch the ball and be a nice change of pace guy.

EDIT: Apparently the Eagles sent their LB coaches to Florida St.'s pro-day.

I also like Boston College's LB/FB Brian Toal. He is a highly gifted, athletic, smart and hardworking linebacker. He has suffered injuries all through his college career but his ability is through the roof.

eaglesalltheway
03-18-2009, 02:12 PM
I haven't really looked into any of those guys from FSU that much, but just looking at those numbers from Ingram makes me want to see if I can find out anything about him. I wouldn't necessarily be against Antone Smith, but if he is similat to Leon Washington, we already have a guy similar to him in Lorenzo Booker. I wouldn't be against signing him late or as a UDFA, if that is the case, to challenge Booker...

I like Toal, he is one of those guys that never caught a break, unless it was a bad one. He was always overshadowed as well, but I can't rmember the other BC LB that casts that shadow right now...

eaglesalltheway
03-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Ingram only had 5 starts in his college career, and his senior year was the most tackles he had in a season, only 22. According to what I;ve found he is very athletic, he just doesn't have much production, and couldn't see much time as a starter until his senior year. He also had ineligibility problems due to his academics, and missed his entire sophomore year. I wouldn't want the Eagles to use a draft pick on him, and there are certainly a lot more LBs that I'd prefer they look at as UDFAs. I can't recall seeing him play, so maybe there is something that you have seen that I haven't, but even as a UDFA, there will likely be better options for the team to go.

Thumper
03-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Ingram only had 5 starts in his college career, and his senior year was the most tackles he had in a season, only 22. According to what I;ve found he is very athletic, he just doesn't have much production, and couldn't see much time as a starter until his senior year. He also had ineligibility problems due to his academics, and missed his entire sophomore year. I wouldn't want the Eagles to use a draft pick on him, and there are certainly a lot more LBs that I'd prefer they look at as UDFAs. I can't recall seeing him play, so maybe there is something that you have seen that I haven't, but even as a UDFA, there will likely be better options for the team to go.

Yeah I know. He is incredibly unproductive but he has a ton of potential. He was a actually a 6'6" FS at first but now he plays LB. Long arms and a huge frame to grow into and being that he moved from FS to LB I would think he is highly athletic.

He saw some action as a Freshman, left the team as a sophomore, rejoined the team as a Junior and saw FS spot duty and special teams action. So this was his first season moving to LB. I just love his potential and I feel that if he was IR'd and the practice squaded he could be a nice back-up and special teams player who has the potential to start.

Oh and he is a big hitter.

eaglesalltheway
03-19-2009, 06:27 AM
Yeah I know. He is incredibly unproductive but he has a ton of potential. He was a actually a 6'6" FS at first but now he plays LB. Long arms and a huge frame to grow into and being that he moved from FS to LB I would think he is highly athletic.

He saw some action as a Freshman, left the team as a sophomore, rejoined the team as a Junior and saw FS spot duty and special teams action. So this was his first season moving to LB. I just love his potential and I feel that if he was IR'd and the practice squaded he could be a nice back-up and special teams player who has the potential to start.

Oh and he is a big hitter.

He also was a standout basketball player as well, but even if we wanted him as a Safety, there are still some guys I'd want ahead of him, however, I wouldn't be against the team looking at the idea, especially considering the potential that he has, which is an area I agree on.

bored of education
03-25-2009, 05:13 PM
so, hi!
the iggles gonna be some major players in the draft. they gonna move up to get monroe at 3? ;)

Thumper
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
so, hi!
the iggles gonna be some major players in the draft. they gonna move up to get monroe at 3? ;)

probably not #3 but I would not be the least bit suprised to see them move up.

Go_Eagles77
03-25-2009, 05:51 PM
so, hi!
Sure, 21 and 28 for 3 and Tony G? haha

Thumper
03-25-2009, 06:11 PM
I was reading something and I want to make something clear.

The Eagles will not take Shonn Greene/ end of story.

He has got bust written all over him.

Problem 1: He has a bad history and might have character and work ethic issues.

Problem 2: He is a one year wonder.

Problem 3: He is old.

Problem 4: He is slow.

Problem 5: He has tiny hands and he hasn't caught the ball much

Problem 6: Has never really had to pass block because he only started one year and the offense was heavily reliant on him.

Those last two problems are HUGE issues with the Eagles because the running back ABSOLUTELY HAS TO BE ABLE TO BLOCK AND CATCH.

Give me Rashad Jennings who is bigger, faster and stronger. Jennings is younger, has experience catching so the only real flaw is that he is raw as a pass protector.

Give me Andre Brown who is just as big, much faster and just as strong. Brown is experienced, polished and powerful. He has caught a ton of passes in college and he has experience pass blocking. Brown is one of the players who I would LOVE the Eagles to take in the third because Brown was a big time recruit but he had injuries. Brown really impressed me at the Senior Bowl and the combine.

brat316
03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
So then they are taking Wells, Moreno or Brown. I'm down with that.

camp_eagles
03-25-2009, 08:17 PM
So then they are taking Wells, Moreno or Brown. I'm down with that.

What about Javon Ringer or Rashard Jennings? Im not saying I would rather have these guys but I would not count them out.

Wells is my Fav of the bunch his performance in the National Championship 2 years back was great. Also he was one of 2 backs to rush for over 100 yards against LSU that year the other was Matt Forte.

Todd Bertuzzi
03-25-2009, 08:23 PM
I be fine with any one of Wells, D.Brown, Moreno or McCoy in the first 2 rounds(Wells and Knowshon in rd 1 and McCoy and Brown in rd 2).

bored of education
03-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Sniper would **** his hand over and over again if the Iggles drafted Wells.

"Take that *****, the comma should have been before the 'that'"

Thumper
03-25-2009, 08:44 PM
One more note for today.

The Eagles do not need a #1 WR IMO. Why? DeSean Jackson will IMO become a good #1 but lets face it, at a shade below 5'10" he will never be a red-zone threat. Which brings me to my point. I think that the Eagles need a big receiver, who can score in the red-zone. The Eagles have no problems moving the ball but they have trouble scoring once they get inside the twenty.

The Eagles ranked #9 in total offense and the 6th ranked Pass offense but when the Eagles made it to the redzone the Eagles effectiveness dropped through the floor.

So IMO leave Jackson as the #1 but draft a few red-zone weapons that will help out. One player that I might like to see now that I think about it is Ramses Barden. Some other guys are Aaron Kelly, Jamarko Simmons, Patrick Turner, Greg Carr or Kenny Britt (who would be one hell of a #2).

Dudley Guice is also a major sleeper who reminds some scouts of Marques Colston with his size and hands. Guice has 4.4 flat speed and he sinks his hips on routes. He comes from a smaller school but he has potential. (6'4" and 215+ pounds).

Draft Guys recently did a profile on him (figure I could post this since Scott put one on Jamon Meredith's profile): http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/dudley_guice_video/

Also I think that another reason for the struggles is the lack of good TE play so I would welcome Brandon Pettigrew who is a tank and a huge red-zone threat. Obviously Jared Cook with his size at 6'5" and 40"+ vertical and hands would be a weapon as well.

I also think that a new RB should be drafted for the red-zone.

My ideal red-zone offense would have Barden out wide, Pettigrew at TE, Dan Klecko or Nick Cole as the goal-line FB, Avant and Baskett out wide as well and Moreno or Weaver as the RB. That would be a force to be reckoned with.

camp_eagles
03-25-2009, 09:50 PM
One more note for today.

The Eagles do not need a #1 WR IMO. Why? DeSean Jackson will IMO become a good #1 but lets face it, at a shade below 5'10" he will never be a red-zone threat. Which brings me to my point. I think that the Eagles need a big receiver, who can score in the red-zone. The Eagles have no problems moving the ball but they have trouble scoring once they get inside the twenty.

The Eagles ranked #9 in total offense and the 6th ranked Pass offense but when the Eagles made it to the redzone the Eagles effectiveness dropped through the floor.

So IMO leave Jackson as the #1 but draft a few red-zone weapons that will help out. One player that I might like to see now that I think about it is Ramses Barden. Some other guys are Aaron Kelly, Jamarko Simmons, Patrick Turner, Greg Carr or Kenny Britt (who would be one hell of a #2).

Dudley Guice is also a major sleeper who reminds some scouts of Marques Colston with his size and hands. Guice has 4.4 flat speed and he sinks his hips on routes. He comes from a smaller school but he has potential. (6'4" and 215+ pounds).

Draft Guys recently did a profile on him (figure I could post this since Scott put one on Jamon Meredith's profile): http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/dudley_guice_video/

Also I think that another reason for the struggles is the lack of good TE play so I would welcome Brandon Pettigrew who is a tank and a huge red-zone threat. Obviously Jared Cook with his size at 6'5" and 40"+ vertical and hands would be a weapon as well.

I also think that a new RB should be drafted for the red-zone.

My ideal red-zone offense would have Barden out wide, Pettigrew at TE, Dan Klecko or Nick Cole as the goal-line FB, Avant and Baskett out wide as well and Moreno or Weaver as the RB. That would be a force to be reckoned with.

NO AARON KELLY that guy dosent even have hands.

and my (not ideal but im working with what we got and might get) Red zone O would be Barden, Desean, Any TE who can block and is over 6'5, Westbrook and Weaver. Westbrook is dynamite on those shovel passes and can more often than not punch it in. In fact now that I think about it I blame how poor the Redzone on was on the OLine creating no push and allowing guys to get free uncontested.

cunningham06
03-26-2009, 01:24 AM
Hakeem Nicks putting on 14 pounds before his pro-day could lead him to drop where we could get him in the second round. That would be fantastic.

Eaglez.Fan
03-27-2009, 03:19 PM
What about Javon Ringer or Rashard Jennings? Im not saying I would rather have these guys but I would not count them out.

Wells is my Fav of the bunch his performance in the National Championship 2 years back was great. Also he was one of 2 backs to rush for over 100 yards against LSU that year the other was Matt Forte.

Ringer was pretty much maxed out at MSU. I do like him but the potential isn't there. Javon also has a lot of millage on him which has been a pretty popular trend when trying to limit touches to increase longevity lately in the NFL, with all the running back by committees. I don't see Jennings as a number one guy in the future. I think we need to look at a guy who can spell Westbrook for the next 3 or so years, than take over the full time role. I'd rather have some guys with more upside and would fit in better like Jeremiah Johnson or Mike Goodson.

If we go RB early, it would have to be Wells/Moreno in the 1st, or Brown/Shady in the 2nd.

Go_Eagles77
03-27-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm 99% sure we'd have to trade up to at least the beginning of the second for a shot at Shady or Brown, which I wouldn't mind at all.

camp_eagles
03-27-2009, 03:50 PM
No one is talking about Glenn Coffee I am a supporter of him.

this is the NFL.com scouting report on him

Analysis

Positives: Well-built athlete. A bit of a slasher. Sees the hole and shows surprising burst to it, considering his height. Can make defenders miss in the open field, but seems to prefer physically taking them on at times. Lowers his shoulder into the defender and looks to intimidate. Runs with a chip on his shoulder. Good acceleration through the second level of the defense and into the open field. At least adequate straight-line speed. Good vision at the second level for the cutback. Experienced receiver out of the backfield. Good upper-body strength and effort as a pass blocker. Has been a weight room monster since high school. Has matured during his college career, and is now a faith-driven leader and sought-after speaker in the community.

Negatives: Has a bit of an odd build for a running back. Thin hips, and though well built he lacks the bulk in his core and lower body that scouts prefer for a power runner. Runs a bit upright, which just adds to the concern regarding his build and power-running. Likes to run over defenders, but too often goes down on contact. Suspended for four games in 2007 as part of an Alabama textbook scandal. Redshirted 2006 with a knee injury.

Thumper
03-27-2009, 05:57 PM
The Eagles are known for smoke screens but...

The Eagles sent the linebacker coaches to Florida State's pro-day to work with them and they sent Bill Shuey to Pitt to work with Scott McKillop.

The Eagles have brought in both Donald Brown and LeSean McCoy for workouts.

Also I was watching the "Eagles on the clock" for ESPN and it was mentioned that the Eagles have the ability to trade up for Crabtree but I highly doubt it happens. However it would be the receiver that Philly has been clamoring for. Just thought that was an interesting tidbit.

Thumper
03-27-2009, 06:00 PM
No one is talking about Glenn Coffee I am a supporter of him.

this is the NFL.com scouting report on him

Analysis

Positives: Well-built athlete. A bit of a slasher. Sees the hole and shows surprising burst to it, considering his height. Can make defenders miss in the open field, but seems to prefer physically taking them on at times. Lowers his shoulder into the defender and looks to intimidate. Runs with a chip on his shoulder. Good acceleration through the second level of the defense and into the open field. At least adequate straight-line speed. Good vision at the second level for the cutback. Experienced receiver out of the backfield. Good upper-body strength and effort as a pass blocker. Has been a weight room monster since high school. Has matured during his college career, and is now a faith-driven leader and sought-after speaker in the community.

Negatives: Has a bit of an odd build for a running back. Thin hips, and though well built he lacks the bulk in his core and lower body that scouts prefer for a power runner. Runs a bit upright, which just adds to the concern regarding his build and power-running. Likes to run over defenders, but too often goes down on contact. Suspended for four games in 2007 as part of an Alabama textbook scandal. Redshirted 2006 with a knee injury.

I like him, he runs hard, he can catch and he can pass block seems like a Philly guy and a good 3rd down back with his catching and blocking ability.

Also Kory Sheets is a guy who does all of that as well but Sheets has more experience pass blocking and he is a tad faster, and he has been ultra-productive in the red-zone with 48 touchdowns in his career.

Go_Eagles77
03-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Check out the sig. I know there is probably a .01% chance the draft even goes remotely like this, but that would be pretty sweet imo lol.

camp_eagles
03-27-2009, 10:58 PM
I like him, he runs hard, he can catch and he can pass block seems like a Philly guy and a good 3rd down back with his catching and blocking ability.

Also Kory Sheets is a guy who does all of that as well but Sheets has more experience pass blocking and he is a tad faster, and he has been ultra-productive in the red-zone with 48 touchdowns in his career.

A video of Glenn that was featured on SC"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHjdSkjj2Rc

he looks fast to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kZWmeaRmL4&feature=related

P.S. I do have a soft spot for the Tide in case no one has noticed yet

Thumper
03-27-2009, 11:03 PM
I posted this in the prospect visits thread but that seems like it is outdated.

From Bleeding Green Nation:

Scheduled for visit
OT Eugene Monroe – Virginia … Projected top 5 pick

Interest

* Knowshon Moreno said that the Chargers and Eagles showed the most interest in him at the Combine.

* Hakeem Nicks…“Among the coaches I met today were Bill Belichik and Andy Reid, who said I would look good with some wings on my helmet.”

* William Moore continues to say the Eagles showed him a lot of interest and that he thinks he’d be a great fit here and wants to play for the Eagles.

OFFENSE

QB Graham Harrell – Texas Tech … met with him at Senior Bowl
QB Rhett Bomar – Sam Houston State … met with him at Senior Bowl
QB Nathan Brown – Central Arkansas … met with him at Senior Bowl
QB John White – Bentley (also a P) … college visit

FB Eric Kettani – Navy … met with him at Senior Bowl
FB Maurice Manley – Mesa State … talked to his coach
FB Tony Fiametta – Syracuse … Eagles reportedly looking hard at him

RB Knowshon Moreno – Georgia …. met with him at the Combine
RB Devin Moore – Wyoming … attended private workout in Indy (outside of Combine)
RB LeSean McCoy – Pitt … met with him at the Combine
RB Donald Brown – UConn … private workout
RB Rashad Jennings – Liberty … private workout

WR Hakeem Nicks – UNC … met with him at the Combine
WR Kenny Britt – Rutgers … met Andy at a banquet & has private workout set up with team
WR Darrius Heyward-Bey – Maryland… attended his Pro Day … private workout is set up
WR Quinten Lawrence – McNeese State … attended his Pro Day
WR Deon Butler – Penn State …. said Eagles were showing interest, also a private workout
WR Johnny Knox – Abilene Christian … private workout
WR Louis Murphy – Florida … private workout
WR Derrick Williams – Penn State … private workout
WR Jordan Norwood – Penn State … private workout

TE Brandon Pettigrew – Oklahoma State – 6’5, 263 … met with him at Senior Bowl
TE Zach Miller – Nebraska-Omaha
TE Jared Cook – South Carolina … “showing interest”
TE Jared Bronson – Central Washington … private workout

T Phil Loadholt – Oklahoma … met with him at the Combine
T Chris Rutledge – Miami … Eagles attended his Pro Day, showed interest
T Andre Smith – Alabama … private meeting
T Dallas Reynolds – BYU … showing interest … could play G or C
T Kyle Link – McNeese State … attended his Pro Day
T Jason Watkins – Florida … showing interest

G/C Anthony Parker – Tennessee … met with him at Senior Bowl
G Andy Levitre – Oregon State … met with him at the Combine
G Andy Kemp – Wisconsin … met with Eagles coaches
G Greg Isdaner – West Va … private workout
G Louis Vasquez – Texas Tech … private workout

C Juan Garcia – Washington … met with him at the Combine
C Max Unger – Oregon … met with him at the Combine

DEFENSE

DE Larry English – Northern Illinois – 6’2, 254
DE Everette Brown – Florida State … met with him at the Combine
DE Robert Ayers – Tennessee … private workout / meeting
DE J.D. Skolnitsky – James Madison …. attended his Pro Day

DT Vance Walker – Georgia Tech … met with him at the Combine

MLB Rey Maualuga – USC … met with him at Senior Bowl
MLB Frantz Joseph – Fla. Atlantic … Eagles attended his Pro Day (might be WLB in our system)

LB Clint Sintim – Virginia – 6’2, 254 … met with him at Senior Bowl
LB Tyrone McKenzie – USF – 6’2, 235 … met with him at Senior Bowl
LB Clay Matthews – USC – 6’2, 247 … met with him at Senior Bowl and Combine
LB Cody Brown – UConn – 6’2, 246 … met with him at Senior Bowl (played DE, but we looked at him as SAM)
LB Jason Williams – Western Illinois … met with him at his Pro Day & have a private workout scheduled

S/LB Nic Harris – Oklahoma – 6’2, 233 … met with him at Senior Bowl and Combine
S William Moore – Missouri – … met with him at Senior Bowl
S Chris Clemons – Clemson … private workout
S Patrick Chung – Oregon … private workout

CB Alphonso Smith – Wake Forest – 5’9, 193 … met with him at Senior Bowl
CB Kevin Barnes – Maryland … private workout
CB/RS Reggie Jones – Portland State … private workout

LS Jake Ingram – Hawaii … met with him at Senior Bowl

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2009/3/27/812339/keeping-up-with-eagles-pri

Connecticut RB Donald Brown
Stillman College DT Sammie Lee Hill
Florida TE Cornelius Ingram
Western Michigan Safety Louis Delmas
Virginia OT Eugene Monroe
Mayland WR Darrius Heyward-Bey
Tennessee CB DeAngelo Willingham
Cincinnati CB Mike Mickens
Portland St, CB Reggie Jones
Abilene Christian WR Johnny Knox
Liberty RB Rashad Jennings
The Eagles have sent LB coach Bill Shuey to check out Pitt LB Scott McKillop

-Also the Eagles have worked out LeSean McCoy
-The Eagles were the only team to show up at NT Lonnie Harvey NT Morgan St (6’3” and 345 lbs) pro day.
-The Eagles sent the LB coaches to Florida State's proday.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/teams/nfc/philadelphia-eagles/

Names Mentioned on that page include:
Penn State offensive guard Rich Ohrnberger
Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas
Pittsburgh running back LeSean McCoy
Stillman defensive tackle Sammie Lee Hill
Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew
Tennessee corner back DeAngelo Willingham
Cincinatti corner back Mike Mickens
Maryland corner back Kevin Barnes

eaglesalltheway
03-28-2009, 04:00 PM
OK, I missed a few points on page 15, I'll just go over my opinions briefly;).

Sure, I'd give up 21 and 28 for #3, I'd prefer other options as we have other needs to fill, but if the FO would decide that, I'd be all for it. Maybe if we snuck back a fifth rounder though, I don't know the trade value off the top of my head, but ehh...

I also do not want Green and don't think the Eagles do either...

I like Wells, Moreno, Brown, and McCoy all as potential 1st or 2nd round choices...

I do think the Eagles will be in need of a #1 type WR. But at the least I expect them to get a red zone threat at WR. I think DeSean can be a #1, but he is best suited as a #2. If he has someone taking DBs eyes off of him, that only makes the entire offense more dynamic, and him a better receiving option. I don't think the Eagles need a #1 WR right now, but a true #1 type WR wouldn't hurt at all.

eaglesalltheway
03-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I also sip the brew that is Glenn Coffee... Sorry had to do it;)...

I think he would be a great later selection if the team plans on looking for just a third down guy and not someone who could potentially take over the starting RB spot.

I hope Sniper doesn't Flip out about Derrick Williams's wrokout or whatever...

camp_eagles
03-28-2009, 04:28 PM
I also sip the brew that is Glenn Coffee... Sorry had to do it;)...

Im not sure what is worse that or my nickname for him:
"Glenn the Coffee Grinder"

Sniper
03-28-2009, 08:56 PM
I hope Sniper doesn't Flip out about Derrick Williams's wrokout or whatever...

I'm not worried about it. They're not going to draft him.

Thumper
03-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I am liking all these LB/DE tweeners. The Eagles have SLB depth issues and there are alot of options available.

Henry Melton DE/LB Texas (6'3" and 269 lbs) is a freak. He ran a 4.64 and 4.66 in the 40-yard dash, posted a 34.5-inch vertical jump and 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump to go along with 23 bench press reps.

Julius Williams DE/LB Connecticut (6'1" and 260 lbs) is a freak as well. Williams opened some eyes with his 41" vertical leap, 36 bench press repetitions (of 225 pounds) and a time of 4.59 seconds in the 40-yard dash at Pro Day (3/25). Yikes!

Then there is Brandon Long DE/LB Michigan St. (6'3" 254 lbs) He posted 40 times of 4.61 and 4.63 seconds and had a 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump and a 37 1/2-inch vertical leap, all of which would’ve ranked near the top at the combine. He also had a 4.37 time in the short shuttle and a 6.88 in the three-cone drill, with 32 reps on the bench press.

Then when you add in the other guys like the Oregon St. duo Victor Butler and Slade Norris, Orien Martin of Virginia Tech, Jamaal Westerman from Rutgers and Phillip Hunt of Houston, you've got yourself a ton of options at SLB in the late rounds.

Thumper
03-29-2009, 01:51 PM
The Eagles have brought in TE John Nalbone of Monmouth

At 6′4″, 256 pounds, Nalbone has intriguing 4.57 speed in the 40-yard dash and caught 101 career passes for 1,273 yards and nine touchdowns. He has bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times and registered a 33-inch vertical leap with a 9-10 broad jump.

Looks like TE is kind of high up on the priority list.

Thumper
03-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Eagles have also brought in Anquan Boldin's brother DJ Boldin WR from Wake Forest

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/29/eagles-eyeballing-other-boldin/
The 211-pounder plays like his big brother — big and strong and physical. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds at his March 23 Pro Day, faster than scouts expected.

Boldin led the ACC with 77 receptions in 2008, more than North Carolina’s Hakeem Nicks. It was a huge increase for Boldin, who caught only 11 passes in 2007 after missing the entire 2006 season for academic reasons

I have liked him for a while. I think he is a great fit in the West Coast Offense with his physical play and would love to see him in Eagles' Green.

Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LUxsN1lAMk

camp_eagles
03-29-2009, 02:55 PM
I like DJ as well ever since I saw him against FSU

cunningham06
03-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Eagles have also brought in Anquan Boldin's brother DJ Boldin WR from Wake Forest

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/29/eagles-eyeballing-other-boldin/

I have liked him for a while. I think he is a great fit in the West Coast Offense with his physical play and would love to see him in Eagles' Green.

Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LUxsN1lAMk

Ok what am I missing here, he's 211 pounds, and led the ACC in receptions, yet he did not get invited to the combine? WTF?

Go_Eagles77
03-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Ok what am I missing here, he's 211 pounds, and led the ACC in receptions, yet he did not get invited to the combine? WTF?
I was very surprised by this as well, I honestly have no idea.

Todd Bertuzzi
03-29-2009, 05:47 PM
What round would you guys project Boldin to go in?

Thumper
03-29-2009, 06:44 PM
What round would you guys project Boldin to go in?

late rounds probably 6 or 7

cunningham06
03-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Ya anywhere from 5-7 I can see him going. I'm very interested to see just how good the Boldin gene pool is. They could be like the Cromartie cousins and be awesome at the same position, or like Carson and Jordan Palmer and have quite a gap in athleticism and skill. I would be very happy if the Eagles took a late round flyer on him.

Thumper
03-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Eagles have brought in Portland St. LB Andy Schantz for a workout. At Shantz's proday he (6-0 3/4, 234 pounds) ran a 4.71 and 4.75 in the 40, had a 34-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot, 8-inch broad jump, a 7.48 three-cone drill, a 4.34 short shuttle and did 19 bench press reps.

Schantz led the Vikings with 115 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, nine pass breakups, and had an interception, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble this season.

brat316
03-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Eagles have brought in Portland St. LB Andy Schantz for a workout. At Shantz's proday he (6-0 3/4, 234 pounds) ran a 4.71 and 4.75 in the 40, had a 34-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot, 8-inch broad jump, a 7.48 three-cone drill, a 4.34 short shuttle and did 19 bench press reps.

Schantz led the Vikings with 115 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, nine pass breakups, and had an interception, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble this season.

ask the User Somebody about him, he could probably give you more insight. He played for Portland St.

eaglesalltheway
03-30-2009, 06:12 AM
Im not sure what is worse that or my nickname for him:
"Glenn the Coffee Grinder"

They're both pretty bad, haha, but I think yours is better...

eaglesalltheway
03-30-2009, 06:13 AM
I'm not worried about it. They're not going to draft him.

Agreed, but seeing that does increase the nerves a bit, doesn't it?

eaglesalltheway
03-30-2009, 06:24 AM
I am liking all these LB/DE tweeners. The Eagles have SLB depth issues and there are alot of options available.

Henry Melton DE/LB Texas (6'3" and 269 lbs) is a freak. He ran a 4.64 and 4.66 in the 40-yard dash, posted a 34.5-inch vertical jump and 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump to go along with 23 bench press reps.

Julius Williams DE/LB Connecticut (6'1" and 260 lbs) is a freak as well. Williams opened some eyes with his 41" vertical leap, 36 bench press repetitions (of 225 pounds) and a time of 4.59 seconds in the 40-yard dash at Pro Day (3/25). Yikes!

Then there is Brandon Long DE/LB Michigan St. (6'3" 254 lbs) He posted 40 times of 4.61 and 4.63 seconds and had a 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump and a 37 1/2-inch vertical leap, all of which would’ve ranked near the top at the combine. He also had a 4.37 time in the short shuttle and a 6.88 in the three-cone drill, with 32 reps on the bench press.

Then when you add in the other guys like the Oregon St. duo Victor Butler and Slade Norris, Orien Martin of Virginia Tech, Jamaal Westerman from Rutgers and Phillip Hunt of Houston, you've got yourself a ton of options at SLB in the late rounds.

There are a lot of SAM prospects I really like. If the right (or wrong, depending on perspective) situation came up, i could see the Eagles taking a SLB in the first three rounds, maybe even as high as round two if a guy like Clint Sintim was available. But in the later rounds there are a bunch of potential starters who would be great depth at the worst...

Lee Robinson
Brian Toal
Robert Francois.

Along with the other guys you mentioned.

eaglesalltheway
03-30-2009, 06:25 AM
The Eagles have brought in TE John Nalbone of Monmouth

Looks like TE is kind of high up on the priority list.

It should be, but they have been checking out all positions, and this is a later round or UDFA visit.

eaglesalltheway
03-30-2009, 06:29 AM

It probably means there weren't enough teams that requested him on the list of invites. Which is most likely because a lot of teams want a shot at getting him as a UDFA or in the later rounds. A lot of teams will leave some later round or sleeper guys that they already know about off of their list, so other teams don't find as much out about them. I'd love Anquan, but his brother would be a low risk/cost for us, with potential big time rewards. He won't ever be Anquan, but he does have upside, if not strictly for his genese, haha.

eaglesalltheway
03-30-2009, 06:33 AM

Just going off of what I know about him, he is more of a WILL prospect for us. He handles space well, but will get absorbed against NFL linemen coming at him to the second level in the run game. He is pretty good in coverage, and has made a good deal of plays there as well. More of a WILL, but I don't know what the teams plans are there, if they want to keep Gaither and Jordan and have them constantly battling and performing, or save some money and release one, if thats the case, probably Gaither.

Thumper
03-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Eagles are reportedly bringing in Richmond DE Lawrence Sidbury for a workout. He would certainly fit the trend of Eagles picks, small quick DE that comes from a smaller school (Bryan Smith, Chris Gocong and Trent Cole). Per DD.

eaglesalltheway
03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Eagles are reportedly bringing in Richmond DE Lawrence Sidbury for a workout. He would certainly fit the trend of Eagles picks, small quick DE that comes from a smaller school (Bryan Smith, Chris Gocong and Trent Cole). Per DD.

He's one of the people I've been keeping my eye on. He is really interesting to me, and i think could be a good pick in the middle rounds...

Thumper
03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Eagles have worked out Louisville C Eric Wood.

Per NFL.com:
At the Louisville Pro Day on March 26, C Eric Wood (6-4, 310 pounds) showed that he is generating a lot of buzz from many NFL teams.

Wood did position drills at the pro day but otherwise stood on his marks from the NFL combine. He has already visited the Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals and has worked out for the Philadelphia Eagles and the Denver Broncos. He also has a workout scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Thumper
03-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Per PFT the Eagles worked out Jared Cook at his pro-day.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/30/jared-cook-aims-high/

eaglesalltheway
03-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Two second or third round possibilities. I'm not a huge fan of Wood, at least not as much as some othe Linemen, but I think he will have a successful career, whether he is a C or G.

Thumper
03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Two second or third round possibilities. I'm not a huge fan of Wood, at least not as much as some othe Linemen, but I think he will have a successful career, whether he is a C or G.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-03-29-sw-offensive-line_N.htm

3. Eric Wood, Louisville, 6-4, 310: Although taller than most centers, Wood is able to make the cut block. He gets off the ball and into his man in a blink and can drive back smaller tackles. Wood was team captain in 2008 and took pride in making all the line calls. In the last two seasons, coaches' stats credit Wood with 27 blocks that resulted in touchdowns and 164 knockdowns. On his last 992 pass plays he allowed two quarterback pressures.

That means he allowed zero sacks in nearly 992 plays. Wow.

Also the Eagles have already worked out Tennessee DE Robert Ayers.

camp_eagles
03-31-2009, 07:17 PM

992 plays and 2 pressures = wow

Robert Ayers scares me I get Jerome McDougal vibe from him because they were both one year starters

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2009, 06:23 AM

That is impressive, and though he is my #2 C, I actually saw that somewhere before, but the things that worry me are the bigger DTs. I'm sure foing up against Bunk in practice would help, but I'm afraid that he won't be as successful agaisnt bigger and stronger DTs. The reason I'd rather have a bunch of other linemen over him is more about what we already have, and not a knock on him as a player. I'd rather have Monroe, Oher, either Smith, Britton, or even Beatty. And it is simply because the need for an LT is bigger than the need for an interior OL.

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2009, 06:24 AM
I'm not really a big fan of Ayers either, I don't know what it is, but I just get a feeling he isn't going to be worth where he ends up going.

Go_Eagles77
04-01-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm not really a big fan of Ayers either, I don't know what it is, but I just get a feeling he isn't going to be worth where he ends up going.
Agreed. He has bust written all over him imo. In his supposed "breakout" season, he only had 3 sacks. Michael Johnson has better production, much better measurables/workout numbers, but people are saying Ayers could be a top 15 pick and Johnson is a 2nd rounder at best? I'm not a big Johnson fan either but it doesn't make much sense to me, granted I didn't see much of Ayers this year.

brat316
04-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Ayers won't go in the first it just online hype. He moved up boards from 4th-5th round to 2rd, but not first.

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2009, 02:20 PM
bhaarat, whats 2rd? haha.

I've seen a lot of people, not just online, saying Ayers is almost a first round certainty. Mayock recently had him very high on his list (WTF???) and both Kiper and McShit have him highly rated as well. Hopefully it is online hype though, because if anyone gets him in the first they didn't get nearly the value they would've gotten from a bunch of other prospects...

Thumper
04-01-2009, 05:48 PM
I want either Connor Barwin or Michael Johnson who I feel are perfect fits for the Eagles.

Barwin provides depth at DE, SLB and TE so he could save the Eagles some roster spots.

Michael Johnson can play RE or LE, play the joker role, play snaps at TE because of his long athletic frame and he could block kicks on special teams.

Both of them would bring another dimension and weapon to the Eagles defense. They are world class athletes and they can get to the passer and have a ton of potential and considering Darren Howard's and Jaqua Parker's age, it might be time to invest in a DE.

brat316
04-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I want either Connor Barwin or Michael Johnson who I feel are perfect fits for the Eagles.

Barwin provides depth at DE, SLB and TE so he could save the Eagles some roster spots.

Michael Johnson can play RE or LE, play the joker role, play snaps at TE because of his long athletic frame and he could block kicks on special teams.

Both of them would bring another dimension and weapon to the Eagles defense. They are world class athletes and they can get to the passer and have a ton of potential and considering Darren Howard's and Jaqua Parker's age, it might be time to invest in a DE.

Johnson as a DE would be great, a strong side DE, I know the Eagles like to keep smaller De for the pass rush, but come on you gotta have one big one to help in the run. He could be the second coming of Peppers if he could put it all together.

The Eagles have a log jam at De though, and also would probably have to move up in the second.

Go_Eagles77
04-01-2009, 06:12 PM
I really don't think we need to draft a DE at all in the draft, let alone the 1st or 2nd round. Think about it:

Trent Cole, Victor Abiamiri, Juqua Parker, Chris Clemons, Darren Howard, Bryan Smith. Every one of those guys, except probably Smith, who was a 3rd round pick last year, could start somewhere in the league.

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2009, 06:28 PM

They've already invested in that future for DE in Abiamiri who will take over as the starting LE, where he is a better fit than either Barwin or Johnson. Abiamiri is going to have a Broderick Bunkley type impact for the Eagles defense. Quote me on that if you have to, Abiamiri is the real deal and will show that he will be our starting LE for the foreseeable future. Clemons is also there as a DE who can play Joker as well. We don't need to invest a first day pick on a DE, considering our other more prominent needs at RB, WR, TE, LT, S. I would also say that DT, CB, SLB, and OG are bigger needs than DE.

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Johnson as a DE would be great, a strong side DE, I know the Eagles like to keep smaller De for the pass rush, but come on you gotta have one big one to help in the run. He could be the second coming of Peppers if he could put it all together.

The Eagles have a log jam at De though, and also would probably have to move up in the second.

As I said, Abiamiri is that type of LE. I don't know his exact size and weight, but he plays big and holds the POA, just like you are asking, we have that big DE already. Abiamiri may not put up insane sack numbers, but he will be our DE version of Broderick Bunkley. Abiamiri is very strong and quick, and will rip apart a TE if he is one on one with him. He also holds his ground when a T or G are blocking him. Watch his tape, VA has a strong base and will not get pushed back in the run game at all. He will be our best DE against the run by this time next year, and that is saying a lot considering what Cole can do in the backfield... Abiamiri may not have those TFLs, but his impact will be seen in keeping the line clogged and allowing Gocong and Bradley to make more plays in the running game, while still making a good chunk on his own...

brat316
04-01-2009, 06:38 PM
As I said, Abiamiri is that type of LE. I don't know his exact size and weight, but he plays big and holds the POA, just like you are asking, we have that big DE already. Abiamiri may not put up insane sack numbers, but he will be our DE version of Broderick Bunkley. Abiamiri is very strong and quick, and will rip apart a TE if he is one on one with him. He also holds his ground when a T or G are blocking him. Watch his tape, VA has a strong base and will not get pushed back in the run game at all. He will be our best DE against the run by this time next year, and that is saying a lot considering what Cole can do in the backfield... Abiamiri may not have those TFLs, but his impact will be seen in keeping the line clogged and allowing Gocong and Bradley to make more plays in the running game, while still making a good chunk on his own...

I forgot all about him. Its been three years since we have seen him.

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2009, 06:39 PM
I really don't think we need to draft a DE at all in the draft, let alone the 1st or 2nd round. Think about it:

Trent Cole, Victor Abiamiri, Juqua Parker, Chris Clemons, Darren Howard, Bryan Smith. Every one of those guys, except probably Smith, who was a 3rd round pick last year, could start somewhere in the league.

Obviously from my two mini-rants I agree with you...

Smith will be a contributor this season, he showed a lot of tools in TC and though he looked raw, he really did a great job against some of our OL. He could end up being eerily similar to Trent Cole actually. That is a solid 6 man DE rotation as it stands now, and we really don't need another unless it is to challenge for depth. There is also a lot of money tied up there. Cole, Clemons, and Howard have relatively large contracts, and both Parker's and Abiamiri's aren't small either. And smith having that third round contract has to be worth at least a small sizeable chunk... Another DE, especially early, isn't necessary. Right now the DE rotation is far from broken, and I'm a fan of the system "Don't fix what aint broke".

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2009, 06:47 PM
I forgot all about him. Its been three years since we have seen him.

Two, actually, if my math is right. He injured himself his rookie year and was IRed if I remember correctly (Edit: just didn't see much time). This last TC he was injured and missed the first half or so of the season, then he came in and began to show what he is capable of.

I am seriously willing to bet almost anything that this guy will end up a great LE for us. I've never been more confident in a player (OK, except maybe Bradley and Bunk) than I am with him. I've seen him in college, in games, and in Training camp in person, standing less than 25 feet away from him. He has a very sound game and doesn't do much of anything wrong. Nothing really sticks out, except for his strength and quickness, but he uses his hands well, understands leverage (watched him knock Runyan, Herremans, MJG, Jackson, and Cole on their ass on multiple occasions in TC), and has a mean bull rush. He didn't have many pass rush moves coming in, but he has improved his swim move, anything in his repetoire actually. This guy is the perfect all-around LE for us now, he will hold up in the run game, and make plays in the passing game. I really, really love this guy as a player and will be in shock if he isn't at least a good starter for many years...

brat316
04-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Also as for the least of the Eagles needs it would rank

1. DE - To many of them
2. Mlb - Bradley and Mays
3. Cb - 3 great corners for their positions, and one rookie
4. DT - 2 big boys and another 2 for depth-1 can play FB
5. WLB - 2 starters
6. RT - 3 guys who can play RT
7. OG - 5 guys who can play guard spot

Most Pressing Needs

1. Rb - behind Westy ?
2. TE - Celek and Shoby
3. S - Mikell and Demps where is the depth
4. LT - Have no one, maybe Stacy Andrews
5. WR - could get by with these guys wouldn't hurt to upgrade -NOT through the draft.
6. SLB - Gocong and Daniels come on you know they could get someone better.
7. Center - Jackson is fine unless he get injured.
8. KR/PR - Demps and Jackson could use some competition.

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2009, 07:13 PM

1. DE - To many of them
5. WLB - 2 starters

Most Pressing Needs

1. Rb - behind Westy ?
2. TE - Celek and Shoby
3. S - Mikell and Demps where is the depth
4. LT - Have no one, maybe Stacy Andrews
5. WR - could get by with these guys wouldn't hurt to upgrade -NOT through the draft.

Here is how I would list the Eagles poistional needs, from greatest to least...

1.RB-Depth/Future Questions
2.TE-See above
3.LT-Possible starter, but upgrade would really be nice
4.S-One more S spot to fill out, most likely FS for depth
5.WR-Not a need unless it is a #1 WR
6.SLB-Not a major need, but there could be an upgrade, though not needed
7.DT-Another solid NT to contribute to the rotation
8.CB-more depth for the #4 or #5 CB spot
9.C-Only depth if one of the current Centers is moved
10.QB-Donovan isn't young and Kolb may not be the future
11.G-Both spots may be vacated, but there are layers to start, more depth
12.P-Consistency is an issue
13.K-Age is an issue
14.WLB-Two potential starters, only needed for depth if one is gone
15.DE-Position is stacked everywhere, but another pass rusher never hurt
16.MLB-Two young promising players, one could be a star...
17.RT-Virtually every O-Linemen on our team could play RT, lol
18.FB-Was a major need, but with Weaver, not so much now...

I would say we have Jones at least as depth, if not a starter at SS though bhaarat. And Stacey Andrews will not be a LT, either Herremans or Shawn or a pick. I will support Gocong do my death, he is very underrated. There could be an upgrade, but there are very few upgrades that we realsitically should continue with. I also wouldn't say returner is a huge need as well, unless the staff wants to take those responsibilities from Jackson and Demps, which is possible, so I could see returner as a minor need I guess, the more I think about it...

Go_Eagles77
04-01-2009, 07:15 PM

1. DE - To many of them
5. WLB - 2 starters

Most Pressing Needs

1. Rb - behind Westy ?
2. TE - Celek and Shoby
3. S - Mikell and Demps where is the depth - Ever hear of Sean Jones? Rashad Baker is good depth too.
4. LT - Have no one, maybe Stacy Andrews - Todd Herremans and Shawn Andrews are the 2 leading candidates, I would honestly feel comfortable with either one.

Response in bold, pretty much agree with everything else.

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Response in bold, pretty much agree with everything else.

I've got this under control GE77;)...

Go_Eagles77
04-01-2009, 07:18 PM
I've got this under control GE77;)...
Yeah I realized that after I made the post. lol

camp_eagles
04-01-2009, 08:46 PM
around what round do you guys think Nate Davis will get drafted? Hes another guy I really like (more of a feeling). I saw him in the International Bowl a couple years back and he didnt look terrible in that game.

I also remember Jason Whitlock going on how about how he is the best QB in the draft (which is BS) even before Bradford said he was staying back

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't like him, at all. And that is off of what i saw, but mostly one of those gut feelings as well. He is like Chase Daniel in the respect that both are great leaders, and the things that made them great QBs in college such as leadership and sheer determination just aren't enough in the NFL. Now if they were coupled with good measurables and a good college pedigree, then there is a chance. I like Nate Davis, but I don't like him as a QB in the NFL, and never really have. I never understood why he was/is ranked the #4 or 5 QB, even in this class. I just don't like him. If there was an euivalent to "hate" without such the negative connotations with it, I'd use it to describe him as a prospect, which is tough because I like him a lot as a player, but not as an NFL player. I wouldn't want the Eagles to touch him at all personally...

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah I realized that after I made the post. lol

Don't be steppin on my Abiamiri turf GE77, ill curb stomp your ass, haha.

(Just in case...mods, I'm joking)

cunningham06
04-02-2009, 03:09 AM
Ok I'm just throwing this idea out for discussion. Say Andre Smith falls on draft day and the Eagles take him at #21. What would you think of that pick?

eaglesalltheway
04-02-2009, 08:21 AM
I would love it, absolutely love it. He can play LT for us and is a really good fit schematically. If he would fall that far, he would be the first guy I want the Eagles to take, assuming another big name wouldn't fall too. But I think a first round of Andre Smith and Moreno/Nicks/even Pettigrew would be devastating for the NFC East. I don't think Wells would be around at 28, but Moreno is a better fit anyway.

Sniper
04-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Ok I'm just throwing this idea out for discussion. Say Andre Smith falls on draft day and the Eagles take him at #21. What would you think of that pick?

I'd love it, but not as an LT in this scheme. Probably a RT or a guard. Smith would make a great LT in a run-heavy scheme. In this scheme, I think he's better suited for RT or OG.

Sniper
04-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Don't be steppin on my Abiamiri turf GE77, ill curb stomp your ass, haha.

(Just in case...mods, I'm joking)

Hey, remember the time where we could have had LaMarr Woodley instead of Abiamiri? What a great pick to take Abiamiri instead. :rolleyes:

ryan0022
04-02-2009, 11:39 AM
IF Andre Smith fell to the eagles at 21 I think they would snatch him up in a heart beat and I would be pretty happy with that, he is an elite talent and probably just went a little crazy with gettign doen school and all the teams and scouts at the combine. I think the eagles have a lot fo flexability with the Oline coming up so if he does fit better at RT then he can play there....

Speaking with OT's... Anyone have any interest in the Eagles making a deal for Jason Peters, i don't knwo if this was already discussed I haven;t been on there in a while but I think if they could deal a 1st and maybe a pick next year (3rd or so) that woudl be great. I KNow he wants to be the highest paid OLineman but he has been in the probowl the last 2 years and the Eagles usually don't have a problem payign lineman....thoughts?

brat316
04-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Hey, remember the time where we could have had LaMarr Woodley instead of Abiamiri? What a great pick to take Abiamiri instead. :rolleyes:

I don't think Woodley would have done great in the 43 defense, playing LB in the 43 is probably much harder.

Go_Eagles77
04-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't think Woodley would have done great in the 43 defense, playing LB in the 43 is probably much harder.
Which is why he would be a DE for us.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-02-2009, 02:30 PM
I would be fine if we traded for Peters, but only if the price is right.

camp_eagles
04-02-2009, 02:50 PM
I would be fine if we traded for Peters, but only if the price is right.

I would want Peters as long as we dont trade a first round pick for him I think he could be as good as everyone makes him out to be. But after how poorly he played last year I wouldnt give up a first for the guy I think he gave up something like 11 or 12 sacks last year playing in only 13 games. Living in Billsland I saw alot of Bills games and was not impresses with what I saw. the only reason he made the probowl and was 2nd team All-Pro this year is because he did good the year before and writers like Peter King started giving him so much hype. I would be happy with him in Midnight Green because of his physical ability but I dont think he is worth a first.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I would want Peters as long as we dont trade a first round pick for him I think he could be as good as everyone makes him out to be. But after how poorly he played last year I wouldnt give up a first for the guy I think he gave up something like 11 or 12 sacks last year playing in only 13 games. Living in Billsland I saw alot of Bills games and was not impresses with what I saw. the only reason he made the probowl and was 2nd team All-Pro this year is because he did good the year before and writers like Peter King started giving him so much hype. I would be happy with him in Midnight Green because of his physical ability but I dont think he is worth a first.

I completely agree. I wouldn't give up a 1st either and he did not deserve to make the pro bowl this year at all. It's looking more and more like the Bills are going to hang on to Peters though. It would be a great acquisition if he were to return to his form of 2 years ago.

brat316
04-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Which is why he would be a DE for us.

I don't think he would have done to great as a DE, in the 4-3. Like Calvin Pace, 1st round pick, sucked it up as 4-3 DE. Got the chance to play standing up edge rusher, now he is pretty decent.

eaglesalltheway
04-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I'd love it, but not as an LT in this scheme. Probably a RT or a guard. Smith would make a great LT in a run-heavy scheme. In this scheme, I think he's better suited for RT or OG.

With our man based blocking scheme, the run to pass ratio isn't as big of a deal, it is more of a one on one, beat the guy in front of you scheme. Smith can play LT for us, he can do it easily if he gets in shape and stays there.

eaglesalltheway
04-02-2009, 06:31 PM

Agreed, Woodley could be a SAM for us, but he would be exposed in coverage a little bit, much like our current SAM in Gocong. As a whole, 3-4 LBs don't have to be as fast as 4-3 LBs, and though speed isn't the end-all-be-all, Woodleys's lack of speed would be exposed in our system, and I'm not sure he'd be the best LE for us either. He is smaller than Abiamiri, and though I love Woodley, he would have a little harder time holding up against the run. It wouldn't be a weakness by any means, but it wouldn't be a strength either. He would get a hell of a lot of pressure on QBs though. I personally like both Woodley and Abiamiri, and am very happy to say the least that we have Abiamiri, but I would have been happy with Woodley too.

Damn Michigan and having great players in the last few years...

And basically every year before that as well...

eaglesalltheway
04-02-2009, 06:32 PM

^That.
/End discussion

Sniper
04-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't think he would have done to great as a DE, in the 4-3. Like Calvin Pace, 1st round pick, sucked it up as 4-3 DE. Got the chance to play standing up edge rusher, now he is pretty decent.

LaMarr Woodley doesn't suck at anything football-related....or life-related for that matter.

Thumper
04-02-2009, 07:57 PM

understatement of the year?

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
understatement of the year?

He's talking about Pace, and he is right. But if he's talking about Woodley, then yes, it is...

brat316
04-03-2009, 01:54 PM
He's talking about Pace, and he is right. But if he's talking about Woodley, then yes, it is...

I'm talking about Pace.

Woodley didn't get a chance to play stand up rusher, he was drafted for that position.

Pace was drafted by Green for the 4-3 DE. Wiz came and brought the 3-4, he got a chance to play standing up.

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm talking about Pace.

Woodley didn't get a chance to play stand up rusher, he was drafted for that position.

Pace was drafted by Green for the 4-3 DE. Wiz came and brought the 3-4, he got a chance to play standing up.

Good to know I was paying enough attention to the conversation, haha.

Thumper
04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Eagles have brought in Utah DB Sean Smith and Alabama FS Rashad Johnson
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/05/rashad-johnson-visiting-eagles-broncos/
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/02/utahs-smith-in-demand/

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2009/4/5/823636/eagles-working-out-tackles-and

Rumors about Eugene Monroe are heating up and he has visited the Eagles
Andre Smith is scheduled to visit the Eagles

Keep in mind the Eagles will likely have to trade up to get either of those two.

The Eagles have brought in Cincinnati P Kevin Huber

eaglesalltheway
04-06-2009, 09:42 AM
I think Smith could be a good FS for us, though there are other S prospects that I'd like more than him that we would get better value out of. I don't like Rashad Johnson all that much either. I'd love either of the top tackles, and if the team trades up, I would expect it be for one of them, and would be totally in favor of it. Not surprosed by Huber, he is one of, if not the, top punter in this draft, and I'm sure we could improve the position, though I think there are other positions that should be addressed i the later rounds. Maybe as a UDFA, but I expect him to be drafted...

Thumper
04-06-2009, 01:56 PM
I was watching the NFL Replays on NFL network and I noticed a two things.

A. Jaqua Parker gets driven off the line easily and he is not a threat in run defense.
B. The Eagles need a better WLB, the Cowboys and Redskins would continuously get good yardage on the left side because the WLB was so easily taken out of the picture

But the middle of the defense was impenetrable, Bunkley is a force in the middle of the defense and I liked what I saw from Trevor Laws and I would not be surprised one bit to see him overtake Mike Patterson in the next couple years.

My solutions:
Draft Robert Ayers. I didn't like Ayers for the Eagles but he is growing on me. He is a very strong base LE who is great against the run and is not moved off the line easily. He played snaps at LB and DT at Tennesee and I would expect him to do more of the same if he came to the Eagles. Having a rotation of Ayers and Abiamiri would be great for the run defense. Both can rotate inside and can split time on the outside. With Gocong and Mikell behind them the right side of the defense will be great.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f8d6f0

DRAFT a WLB! Gaither is a MLB, he is agressive and attacks the line but he is so agressive that he overruns plays and he gets swallowed up by offensive lines because he runs up to the line and tries to anchor in the run defense and he just doesn't have the size or strength to do that. Akeem Jordan is a rangier guy who is better playing off the line but he isn't all that great either because Jordan is average in run support.

The guy I want the Eagles to look at is Marcus Freeman.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f8855a

Thumper
04-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Oh and the Eagles have brought in Darius Heyward-Bey for a workout.

Sniper
04-06-2009, 02:01 PM
**** no to Robert Ayers. If the Eagles ran a 3-4, I'd be all for it. Not in this scheme, though.

eaglesalltheway
04-06-2009, 02:04 PM

I like how you stuck that in there, lol.

Thumper
04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
**** no to Robert Ayers. If the Eagles ran a 3-4, I'd be all for it. Not in this scheme, though.

Why a 3-4? He is a prototype LE in a 4-3 scheme which is what we run. Plus Darren Howard and Jaqua Parker are older and the only other option is Abiamiri. A rotation of Abiamiri and Ayers would be a beastly LE rotation.

Sniper
04-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Why a 3-4? He is a prototype LE in a 4-3 scheme which is what we run. Plus Darren Howard and Jaqua Parker are older and the only other option is Abiamiri. A rotation of Abiamiri and Ayers would be a beastly LE rotation.

Because I don't want a DE whose career high in sacks is 4.

eaglesalltheway
04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I was watching the NFL Replays on NFL network and I noticed a two things.

A. Jaqua Parker gets driven off the line easily and he is not a threat in run defense.
B. The Eagles need a better WLB, the Cowboys and Redskins would continuously get good yardage on the left side because the WLB was so easily taken out of the picture

But the middle of the defense was impenetrable, Bunkley is a force in the middle of the defense and I liked what I saw from Trevor Laws and I would not be surprised one bit to see him overtake Mike Patterson in the next couple years.

My solutions:
Draft Robert Ayers. I didn't like Ayers for the Eagles but he is growing on me. He is a very strong base LE who is great against the run and is not moved off the line easily. He played snaps at LB and DT at Tennesee and I would expect him to do more of the same if he came to the Eagles. Having a rotation of Ayers and Abiamiri would be great for the run defense. Both can rotate inside and can split time on the outside. With Gocong and Mikell behind them the right side of the defense will be great.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f8d6f0

DRAFT a WLB! Gaither is a MLB, he is agressive and attacks the line but he is so agressive that he overruns plays and he gets swallowed up by offensive lines because he runs up to the line and tries to anchor in the run defense and he just doesn't have the size or strength to do that. Akeem Jordan is a rangier guy who is better playing off the line but he isn't all that great either because Jordan is average in run support.

The guy I want the Eagles to look at is Marcus Freeman.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f8855a

You know my opinion on drafting a LE, especially with how I feel about Abiamiri. With all that money tied up at the End positions, it is also very unlikely as well. We have 3 guys making above average money, and 3 maiing very good money. Abiamiri will do everything Ayers does in the run game, but better, and will provide more in the pass rush aspect. We already have a solid rotation along the ends. Abiamiri will be the full time (as close as full time as it gets on our DL) LE and Parker and Clemons will be in less during those situations where the offense will run the ball.

I too was impressed with Laws this season. I also wouldn't be surprised in Laws saw his action increase, and eventually take over. He showed quick penetration skills and held up better in the run than I expected from him this season.

WLB is a minor need, and we have two guys who can start there. With the rest of our front 7 and increased reps for Jordan, I think he will become a better player. He is defintiely more of the rangy, playmaker though, and shows that he is good in coverage. He could improve in the run game though, I agree there. Our front 7 is really balanced and really is the reason we had a top 5 defnese all last season. We have the perfect blend of guys whose strengths are stopping the run (Bunk, Gocong, Abiamiri), guys who help in the passing game (Patterson and Jordan) and guys who are very good in both (Bradley and Cole) These guys are relatively young as well, and all are improving, and becoming more complete, and because of that, the front 7 isn't a major need for this team, except for depth purposes at DT and maybe SLB.

eaglesalltheway
04-06-2009, 02:17 PM

We already have that beastly rotation in Abiamiri, Howard, PArker, and Clemons (who also plays RE). There is too much money wrapped up in there and Abiamiri and Ayers are too similar, though Abiamiri is better...;)

brat316
04-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I still think the Eagles could easily get better at SLB. Gocong is a decent option if you don't have anyone, but you could also easily upgrade over him as well.

eaglesalltheway
04-06-2009, 02:50 PM
The only SAM prospect we realistically have a shot at getting (that would be an upgrade) is CLint Sintim, and since he is going to be gone by the ned of the second round, at worst, there would have to be a stragne situation where we would take him. And with our other needs, it just isn't worth it to take him there. People vastly underestimate the impact Gocong has on games, he is part of the reason, along with Bunk, Bradley, and Mikell, that our run defense was so good last year, and he is improving in all aspects. He is easily the most underrated player by Eagles fans on this board, and by next season you guys will see that he is here to stay. He will never be outstanding, but he will get the job done and will be an above average SAM, with borderline elite run stuffing skills.

Thumper
04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
I love Sintim but he is the exact same player as Gocong. Sintim hits harder but Gocong is better in the run game. I think that Sintim would make a great MLB as well. But we have Gocong and Bradley so... Sintim is not a need. Gocong is a force against the run and I really like him.

Sniper
04-06-2009, 03:21 PM
I love Sintim but he is the exact same player as Gocong. Sintim hits harder but Gocong is better in the run game. I think that Sintim would make a great MLB as well. But we have Gocong and Bradley so... Sintim is not a need. Gocong is a force against the run and I really like him.

I still feel like the Eagles' best LB alignment would be Bradley-Gaither-Jordan, but that's just me.

Go_Eagles77
04-06-2009, 03:49 PM
What if Joe Mays turns out to be a stud? That would be a tough situation, I guess Bradley would move back to SAM.

Thumper
04-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I still feel like the Eagles' best LB alignment would be Bradley-Gaither-Jordan, but that's just me.

I love what Gocong brings in run defense. During the playoff run I really started noticing him when we had to play the Vikings and Giants. He sets the edge very well and he fights through traffic and gets to the running back, he is great in run defense IMO. I will readily admit he could improve in pass coverage.

I think a Bradley Gaither and Jordan line-up could do very well but I don't think that Bradley brings the same ability as Gocong. Gocong is a freak of nature. Gocong coming in to the NFL had 4.7 speed, 28 reps of 225, a 42 inch vertical at his proday, a 10'05" broad jump and a 4.09 20 yard shuttle which would have been #1 at this years combine.

Compare Gocongs numbers to those of Shawne Merriman
4.70 v.s. 4.68 40 yard dash numbers
28 reps v.s. 25 reps of 225
42 inch vertical v.s. 40 inch vertical jump
10'05" broad jump v.s. 10'01" broad jump
4.09 second v.s. 4.21 second 20 yard shuttle

If I hadn't told you about Gocong's workout numbers earlier I doubt that anyone would've though that Gocong's numbers are the ones on the right and Merriman's were on the left.

Gocong still has loads of untapped potential that I think could make him a good player in this system. I am a believer that if you put Gocong in a 3-4 he would be an all pro.

Gocong has flashed when he has put his hand down though so a move to DE once Parker and Howard are out of the picture is within the realm of possibility.

Thumper
04-06-2009, 04:06 PM
What if Joe Mays turns out to be a stud? That would be a tough situation, I guess Bradley would move back to SAM.

I LOVE Joe Mays. He is like London Fletcher Baker V.2. Led the NFL in tackles last pre-season and he hits HARD. I want to see him get alot more playing time this year.

brat316
04-06-2009, 04:37 PM
I love what Gocong brings in run defense. During the playoff run I really started noticing him when we had to play the Vikings and Giants. He sets the edge very well and he fights through traffic and gets to the running back, he is great in run defense IMO. I will readily admit he could improve in pass coverage.

I think a Bradley Gaither and Jordan line-up could do very well but I don't think that Bradley brings the same ability as Gocong. Gocong is a freak of nature. Gocong coming in to the NFL had 4.7 speed, 28 reps of 225, a 42 inch vertical at his proday, a 10'05" broad jump and a 4.09 20 yard shuttle which would have been #1 at this years combine.

Compare Gocongs numbers to those of Shawne Merriman
4.70 v.s. 4.68 40 yard dash numbers
28 reps v.s. 25 reps of 225
42 inch vertical v.s. 40 inch vertical jump
10'05" broad jump v.s. 10'01" broad jump
4.09 second v.s. 4.21 second 20 yard shuttle

If I hadn't told you about Gocong's workout numbers earlier I doubt that anyone would've though that Gocong's numbers are the ones on the right and Merriman's were on the left.

Gocong still has loads of untapped potential that I think could make him a good player in this system. I am a believer that if you put Gocong in a 3-4 he would be an all pro.

Gocong has flashed when he has put his hand down though so a move to DE once Parker and Howard are out of the picture is within the realm of possibility.

Reasons why he would do so much better in a 3-4. In the 4-3 he doesn't get as many opportunities to rush the qb, he is dropping back a lot. In the 3-4 he could do some serious damage, and as for passing downs he would be fine in the 3-4 playing in a zone.

Maybe the Eagles could show some 3-4 in the preseason, have Bunk as NT, Patterson DE, Laws DE. Bradley and Jordan on the inside, and then a Gocong, and Abiamiri as OLb. Also rotating in Cole and Clemons.

brat316
04-06-2009, 04:38 PM

If the Eagles get their hands on him that would be some WR corps. Then they finally can drop Brown. But I doubt he makes it past the Raiders.

bsaza2358
04-06-2009, 04:42 PM
There is no way the Eagles are taking a guy who runs suspect routes and has a limited college track record with their first rounder. This is a clear smoke screen, but if he fell to #28, I suppose he'd be okay...

cunningham06
04-06-2009, 04:49 PM
DHB is Troy Williamson part 2: fast with bad hands and runs bad routes. He is not of first round grade, some people just say that because some team like the Raiders may take him because of his speed. If we took him I would be furious, because chances are either Hakeem Nicks or Kenny Britt will be available at #28.

Thumper
04-06-2009, 04:51 PM
There is no way the Eagles are taking a guy who runs suspect routes and has a limited college track record with their first rounder. This is a clear smoke screen, but if he fell to #28, I suppose he'd be okay...

Plus DHB doesn't fit what the Eagles need. DeSean is the deep threat and the Eagles need a possession receiver to complement that. I hope the Eagles don't fall in love with his potential and measurables.

cunningham06
04-06-2009, 04:56 PM

Please explain why you like Robert Ayers. In my opinion he is the most overrated player in this whole draft. He is a one year wonder who will be a non-factor as a pass rusher in the NFL.

Thumper
04-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Please explain why you like Robert Ayers. In my opinion he is the most overrated player in this whole draft. He is a one year wonder who will be a non-factor as a pass rusher in the NFL.

I think that he is all internet hype and he will fall to round 2 so lets clear that up. Why do I like him? He is a force against the run and he can make plays in the pass rush. I was really impressed with him at the senior bowl, he was extremely good in the pit where I believe he was the guy who just DESTROYED Michael Oher with a bull rush, that is what initially caught my attention about Ayers. Then during the game he registered 1.5 sacks and was in on the action whenever he was in the game. I remember being very impressed with him and the pressure he applied.

Sniper
04-06-2009, 05:35 PM
I think that he is all internet hype and he will fall to round 2 so lets clear that up. Why do I like him? He is a force against the run and he can make plays in the pass rush. I was really impressed with him at the senior bowl, he was extremely good in the pit where I believe he was the guy who just DESTROYED Michael Oher with a bull rush, that is what initially caught my attention about Ayers. Then during the game he registered 1.5 sacks and was in on the action whenever he was in the game. I remember being very impressed with him and the pressure he applied.

So why did he only have eight sacks in the past three years?

Thumper
04-06-2009, 05:42 PM
So why did he only have eight sacks in the past three years?

because he wasn't starting. In 36 games prior to his senior season he had only started in 2 of them.

Sniper
04-06-2009, 06:05 PM
because he wasn't starting. In 36 games prior to his senior season he had only started in 2 of them.

So why did he have less as a senior than he did as a junior?

Thumper
04-06-2009, 06:09 PM
So why did he have less as a senior than he did as a junior?

IDK maybe because he was focused on more? Maybe because he just had a few unlucky plays where the QB just got the ball away? He did have more TFL this year than last year if that is any consolation. He has no problems getting into the backfield but he needs to work on his pursuit and closing speed.

Sniper
04-06-2009, 06:13 PM
IDK maybe because he was focused on more? Maybe because he just had a few unlucky plays where the QB just got the ball away? He did have more TFL this year than last year if that is any consolation. He has no problems getting into the backfield but he needs to work on his pursuit and closing speed.

He had 3 sacks. I'm sorry, that's awful.

camp_eagles
04-06-2009, 08:03 PM
He had 3 sacks. I'm sorry, that's awful.

3 sacks great and a great workout? are you guys talking about Mike Mamula? Wait Mike at least put up numbers his senior year.

cunningham06
04-06-2009, 08:11 PM

If he's not getting sacks in college why would he get them in the NFL where the quarterbacks are more elusive and aware of people around them? I just don't see him ever being a good pass rusher at this level. A player he reminds me of is Anthony Weaver, great against the run, but doesn't offer much of anything in the pass game.

eaglesalltheway
04-07-2009, 01:33 PM

His coverage skills are a bit better than Gocong's, but I agree, he isn't the stone wall in the running game that Gocong is. They aren't the same, but similar. Sintim is more balanced. But there are no other options that would be better than Gocong right now, which is why I think we should stick with him. (Besides the fact he's a damn good player)

eaglesalltheway
04-07-2009, 01:35 PM

I think they have it in Gocong, Bradley, Jordan. But if Mays developes, then that may change things a bit...

Thumper
04-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Reasons why he would do so much better in a 3-4. In the 4-3 he doesn't get as many opportunities to rush the qb, he is dropping back a lot. In the 3-4 he could do some serious damage, and as for passing downs he would be fine in the 3-4 playing in a zone.

Maybe the Eagles could show some 3-4 in the preseason, have Bunk as NT, Patterson DE, Laws DE. Bradley and Jordan on the inside, and then a Gocong, and Abiamiri as OLb. Also rotating in Cole and Clemons.

I love the idea of a 3-4 for the Eagles. Laws was a great 3-4 DE in college and Bunkley would be good as well at the 5 technique. There is no NT, that is the problem. At OLB there is Chris Clemons, Trent Cole, Chris Gocong, Bryan Smith. Move Gaither, Jordan, Bradley and Mays inside, Put Mays at SILB and put Bradley at WILB and the Eagles are set at LB. I think the transition can be made easily.

eaglesalltheway
04-07-2009, 01:45 PM

If they do show the 3-4 It would most likely look like this...
LE-Laws
NT-Bunk
RE-Patterson
L(S)OLB-Gocong
MACK-Bradley
MIKE-Mays
R(W)OLB-Clemons
Cole is a great DE and has great quickness, I just doubt he can play rush LB, his range most likely isn't what we'd need out of him in coverage situations. And as much as I love Abiamiri, He is also not quick or fast enough to be a LB. He would be a liability in coverage. He is strictly a 4-3 LE, and since he holds the POA nd has good pass rushing, that is where he fits best.

Thumper
04-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Remember that Trent Cole is often asked to drop into coverage more than most defensive ends in the NFL. He has an interception against Eli Manning.

eaglesalltheway
04-07-2009, 01:51 PM

I don't like DHB at all, he is way too inconsistent, and as you said, his route running leaves a lot to be desired. He screams bust to me, and I wouldn't want the Eagles to touch him with either pick. I also don't like Harvin. I'd prefer the Eagles go with almost any other WR than those two. I think neither will be very successful at all in the NFL.

eaglesalltheway
04-07-2009, 02:00 PM
If he's not getting sacks in college why would he get them in the NFL where the quarterbacks are more elusive and aware of people around them? I just don't see him ever being a good pass rusher at this level. A player he reminds me of is Anthony Weaver, great against the run, but doesn't offer much of anything in the pass game.

Thats my view on him, plus, he'll be going up against better Linemen as well, and in some instances, TEs who actually can block. I think he will have very little impact as a pass rusher in the NFL, and he isn't going to be as successful in the run game either, though it is easily his strength.

eaglesalltheway
04-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I love the idea of a 3-4 for the Eagles. Laws was a great 3-4 DE in college and Bunkley would be good as well at the 5 technique. There is no NT, that is the problem. At OLB there is Chris Clemons, Trent Cole, Chris Gocong, Bryan Smith. Move Gaither, Jordan, Bradley and Mays inside, Put Mays at SILB and put Bradley at WILB and the Eagles are set at LB. I think the transition can be made easily.

Bunk can easily be a NT in the 3-4, his strength and power at the POA is vastly underrated, and though he isn't the prototypical 3-4 NT, he can be very successful there. He already takes up two blockers as it is, and does a great job at it. Plus he has quick penetration skills and I think if he were a NT would be a lot like Ratliff was for the Cowboys this year, only better.

eaglesalltheway
04-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Remember that Trent Cole is often asked to drop into coverage more than most defensive ends in the NFL. He has an interception against Eli Manning.

Not really. All teams have zone blitzes where the DE is in coverage. The zone he has to handle is much smaller than many zones he would be required to occupy if he were a LB in the 3-4. He'd be a great rusher, but would be a big risk in the passing game. He would be covering TEs and RBs, and in some rare situations would be on a slot WR, that screams mismatch with an advantage for the offense.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Well as long as JJ's here we won't be switching to 3-4.

eaglesalltheway
04-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Well as long as JJ's here we won't be switching to 3-4.

And if McDermitt takes over when JJ eventually does leave, we will stick to the 4-3 as well, in all likelihood. Our line would be fine, but we would have at least one gap at the OLB spot. But I think it would be doable if there were a switch in defensive systems...

Thumper
04-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Eagles have brought in Temple DT Terrance Knighton and Purdue LB Anthony Heygood according to draft daddy.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=854617&nid=3616139&fhn=1

A source has told Scout.com that QB Pat White is scheduled to work out for the Philadelphia Eagles on Wednesday, April 8 in West Virginia and is scheduled to visit the New England Patriots on April 13-14.

eaglesalltheway
04-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Of those mentioned, Knighton is the only one I could see the Eagles potentially drafting. I don't know enough about Heygood to comment on him though... The Eagles won't draft White, and it is pretty simple. More smokescreening of a guy projected to go early. The Eagles usually bring in guys for visits if its either a smokescreen or a later round guy they genuinely are interested in.

brat316
04-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Also since they are local area guys it doesn't count against their visits. They probably have Britt visiting sometime soon as well.

eaglesalltheway
04-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Also since they are local area guys it doesn't count against their visits. They probably have Britt visiting sometime soon as well.

Really? Thats cool. Didn't realize that. I wonder how many teams have a bunch of local guys in for visits knowing it won't count against them, and then use those spots yet. I'm sure having a lot of local prospects really helps out teams like the Cowboys, Chargers, Raiders, 49ers, with the big schools there that churn out prospects...

Thumper
04-09-2009, 03:28 AM
The Eagles have already brought in Vontae Davis for a visit.

eaglesalltheway
04-09-2009, 06:23 AM
The Eagles have already brought in Vontae Davis for a visit.

More due dilligence, it would take a crazy scenario for the Eagles to draft him, and we would probably want him as a FS.

cunningham06
04-09-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm not too big of a fan of Vontae Davis. If we were going to go in the CB to FS route, I would prefer we take Malcolm Jenkins. He will be a hell of a FS in the NFL.

eaglesalltheway
04-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I agree there, but Jenkins will be long gone, and there are at least 15 opther players I'd prefer the Eagles draft over Davis that should be in that range of being avaialbel when we pick...

camp_eagles
04-10-2009, 09:52 AM
the only corner I want is Alphonso Smith and if we can get him in the second without moving up then Im happy