PDA

View Full Version : Michael Turner...unntainable? or attainable

BroadwayJoe10
02-28-2007, 11:15 PM
It appears AJ Smith put the highest tender on Michael Turner...saying something along the lines of 'God forbid something should happen to LT we have full confidence in Michael to take over in his absence.' Now everyone knows how much Smith covets draft picks and is an excellent evaluator of talent....at a 1st and a 3rd it is pretty safe to say that no one will give that much up for a non proven player...However, I feel there is a little bit of gray area with Smith. If he values draft picks as much as he says he does and has been known, why would he turn down a high second rounder or possibly a first for him, when its innevitable that he will be lost the next year and get nothing in return. I have a feeling that someone will be interested enough to offer some sorft of draft pick with a trade... I personally would not mind our first 2nd and say mccareins...whats everyone elses feelings on this subject?

BroadwayJoe10
02-28-2007, 11:18 PM
i apologize for the poor spelling of the thread...its late and well sorry ahead of time

BoltHype
03-01-2007, 12:27 PM
personally, I feel we (the chargers) would want two players in return. Even if we traded him to the Jets, it would take at least one pick and one player, or two picks.

not to say something couldn't happen on draft day where we trade him only for your first rounder, but I dont think AJ would be cool with losing a known commodity like Turner for a rookie first rounder.

jetsfan3
03-01-2007, 04:52 PM
personally, I feel we (the chargers) would want two players in return. Even if we traded him to the Jets, it would take at least one pick and one player, or two picks.

not to say something couldn't happen on draft day where we trade him only for your first rounder, but I dont think AJ would be cool with losing a known commodity like Turner for a rookie first rounder.

Turner is just as much unproven as the rookies we draft.

nyjets5125
03-01-2007, 05:40 PM
i would take him for a 2nd rounder if and only if we adress every need from free agency and in round 1, i would take him for a 1st rounder if and only if there is nobody better available and we have addressed every need, i would take him for a 3rd rounder regardless of the circumstances
rigth now, after the tender taht was put on him, i would be strongly dissapointed wiht signing him

BoltHype
03-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Turner is just as much unproven as the rookies we draft.

actually he is not. Turner broke all kinds of records in college. he had a more accomplished college career than any running back in this draft.

he actually started one game for the chargers, back in his rookie season. LT was being rested for the last game of the 04 season. he carried the ball 15 times for 87 yards. thats a 5.8 avg YPC.

after spot duty for the past few years, Turner has been remarkably consistent. his NFL career YPC avg is 6.0

he is a proven commodity with fresh legs. highly coveted player.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493097

Scorch
03-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Turner played for Northern Illinois...the MAC division. He played against relatively easy teams. Guys like Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson have accomplished way more than Turner did.

Has Turner started 2 games in a row ever? In fact how many games has he start? Look what happened to LaMont Jordan. An unproven back who played well behind Curtis Martin. Bolted to the Raiders for big money and was crap. Turner could be the same thing.

BroadwayJoe10
03-02-2007, 12:46 PM
it seems as tho the only way the jets will acquire turner would be in a trade...considering the chargers are in need of a linebacker, due to age and well gunshots what about our 2a and barton or hobson for turner and a 6th or 7th? not sure if that works out 100% but i def feel if released hobson and barton would be top 5 linebackers available...we than keep our 1st rounder 2nd b and the rest of our picks to fill the rest of our needs??? just wondering what the feelings are on this and if it could work...if not what are the reasons why

BoltHype
03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
it seems as tho the only way the jets will acquire turner would be in a trade...considering the chargers are in need of a linebacker, due to age and well gunshots what about our 2a and barton or hobson for turner and a 6th or 7th? not sure if that works out 100% but i def feel if released hobson and barton would be top 5 linebackers available...we than keep our 1st rounder 2nd b and the rest of our picks to fill the rest of our needs??? just wondering what the feelings are on this and if it could work...if not what are the reasons why

AJ Smith said yesterday a second wasnt enough. He said his phone would have been off the hook if he only placed a second round tender on Turner.

Chargers need depth at linebacker. All 3 of their four starting LBs just signed new contracts this offseason. the 4th is merriman.

jetsfan3
03-02-2007, 03:04 PM
AJ Smith said yesterday a second wasnt enough. He said his phone would have been off the hook if he only placed a second round tender on Turner.

Chargers need depth at linebacker. All 3 of their four starting LBs just signed new contracts this offseason. the 4th is merriman.

A second isn't enough which is exactly why you wont get any calls.

BoltHype
03-02-2007, 03:57 PM
A second isn't enough which is exactly why you wont get any calls.

all it takes is one. anyways, most knowledge Charger fans realize how important Turner is for a team like San Diego who is likely making a Super Bowl run next season.

disgruntledjetsfan
03-05-2007, 04:06 PM
So, BoltHype, would you rather keep Turner, who in all likely hood will end up carrying the ball like 75 times for you next year, or have our first 2nd round pick, and be able to get a combo like Michael Griffin and Robert Meachem with your first two picks? Because I know if I were a SD fan, I'd much rather have Griffin/Meachem than Griffin/Turner or Turner/Meachem....

BroadwayJoe10
03-05-2007, 05:09 PM
i have to agree with the comment above...i understand the need to keep LT healthy and if he should get hurt than it definately is nice to have a backup you believe in...If LT gets hurt or the chargers win the superbowl cause LT has a completely healthy season than it seems like a sound move...but if he stays healthy and they dont win a superbowl and they lose out on a player they could have had with our 2a i have a feeling it wont seem like the most sound move...however as a charger fan you may just value turner more than a 2a

Zim3031
03-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Unless I am mistaken, the tender for Turner is a first and a third, thus eliminating him from any realistic moves. Thankfully not to the Jets. Some of those Cotchery for Turner rumors really scared me.