PDA

View Full Version : Jake Locker

hockey619
07-19-2008, 10:02 AM
What do you guys think of Jake Locker and where do you think he can be drafted/ his pro potential. I havent seen much of him so i was curious as to what you all think.

wicket
07-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Like the guy a bit, not the kind of prospect like his classmen bradford(obviously) or kaepernick imo. He's got pro potential and if he comes out next year (if he can come out he still shouldnt imo) he would probably be something like a fourth rounder. That is at least what i think.

Cunningham
07-19-2008, 12:32 PM
What do you guys think of Jake Locker and where do you think he can be drafted/ his pro potential. I havent seen much of him so i was curious as to what you all think.
decent athleticism and has displayed good toughness for whatever that's worth, was one of the top rushing quarterbackers in d-I football last year, but....has thrown more interceptions than he has touchdowns and had a completion percentage of 47%. granted this was in his freshman season so he has plenty of time to develop as a quarterback.

BuddyCHRIST
07-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Has the tools, definitely needs to work on his throwing consistency though, and shouldn't be an early entry candidate (Especially as a rs soph). Like hearing someone mention. Glad to hear someone mention Kaepernick though, obviously he's raw and his offense is a concern but he's fun to watch for sure.

Babylon
07-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Let's put it this way, the guy has potential to be a superstar. Anyone that thinks he isnt in a class with Sam Bradford needs to try watching football. I watched him play some baseball this summer and if he were to concentrate on bball alone he could be a bigtime outfielder in my opinion. If 6-3 and 230 with around high 4.4 speed is a decent athlete for that postion then i would like to see what a great athlete looks like. He needs to continue to work on his accuracy and if he can get to the point where he's a 60% passer or better then he is a top 5 pick, most likely in 2010.

Cigaro
07-19-2008, 12:50 PM
He's great running the ball, extremely overrated(at this point at least) when passing it. Yes I know Washington didn't have the greatest of supporting casts, but there is no excuse for a below 50 completion percentage.

Cunningham
07-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Let's put it this way, the guy has potential to be a superstar. Anyone that thinks he isnt in a class with Sam Bradford needs to try watching football. I watched him play some baseball this summer and if he were to concentrate on bball alone he could be a bigtime outfielder in my opinion. If 6-3 and 230 with around high 4.4 speed is a decent athlete for that postion then i would like to see what a great athlete looks like. He needs to continue to work on his accuracy and if he can get to the point where he's a 60% passer or better then he is a top 5 pick, most likely in 2010.
jake locker runs a mid 4.6 40

jballa838
07-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Jake Locker is amazing. And he had NO Supporting Cast last year.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-19-2008, 03:20 PM
He shouldnt come out after this year he still has to improve alot in the passing game.He has the tools though to put it together.

Babylon
07-19-2008, 04:01 PM
jake locker runs a mid 4.6 40

He's pretty much anywhere from 4.45 to 4.55 each time he's been timed. I was at the game for the Wash. state title against Prosser when he blew the doors off the opponents secondary and those kids could run too. We'll have to wait till he gets to the combine to find out for sure, it isnt 4.65 you can bet on that.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
07-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Drew Stanton 2.0

jballa838
07-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Drew Stanton 2.0
Stanton couldnt move 1/4 as well as locker. How about comparing him to an actual athletic QB. . .
Stretch but Mike Vick

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
07-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Stanton couldnt move 1/4 as well as locker. How about comparing him to an actual athletic QB. . .
Stretch but Mike Vick

Stanton was very mobile, might not be as fast as Locker though.

hockey619
07-19-2008, 07:59 PM
I kind of see him as a similair player to Tebow in a lot of ways. Similar size and both good runners, although Id say tebow appears like hes faster and more physical. Id say Locker has the stronger arm but that Tebow has proven significantly more thus far as far as accuracy goes. I didnt get to see much of Washington last season so I must ask: Was Lockers lack of passing success due to the fact that he plays with inferior talent around him?

Babylon
07-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Was Lockers lack of passing success due to the fact that he plays with inferior talent around him?

That and he needed to work on his timing/mechanics etc. The thing with his receivers, by most insiders accounts, was that they ran bad routes and didnt adjust to defenses very well. Young but better athletes this year. I think we'll see a vast improvement.

badgerbacker
07-19-2008, 08:28 PM
His passing abilities aren't even close right now. He certainly has a lot of talent, but as of now he's not even a QB at the next level. He has the potential to be a great one, but he has a lot of improving to do.

Go_Eagles77
07-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Donovan McNabb in college/early NFL would be a good comparison as far as athleticism.

Babylon
07-20-2008, 12:23 PM
His passing abilities aren't even close right now. He certainly has a lot of talent, but as of now he's not even a QB at the next level. He has the potential to be a great one, but he has a lot of improving to do.

The tangibles and intangibles are all there. Size,speed,strong arm and off the charts leadership ability. Not sure if you saw the Oregon State game when he got knocked silly on a sideline hit and they brought the medic truck out to take him to the hospital. They literally had to force some of his teammates from climbing in with him (all of who were African American by the way). This is a rare individual.

yo123
07-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Stretch but Mike Vick

Haha. His mobility is nowhere near Vick. More similar to McNabb in his earlier days.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Donovan McNabb in college/early NFL would be a good comparison as far as athleticism.

I'd agree with this.

Locker's NFL potential rests solely on how much he can improve his passing process.

Brent
07-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Well put, this is what I was thinking.

jballa838
07-20-2008, 03:39 PM
The tangibles and intangibles are all there. Size,speed,strong arm and off the charts leadership ability. Not sure if you saw the Oregon State game when he got knocked silly on a sideline hit and they brought the medic truck out to take him to the hospital. They literally had to force some of his teammates from climbing in with him (all of who were African American by the way). This is a rare individual.
I remember watching that game and Marcel Reece and Louis Rankin (Starting RB) were seriously trying to get in it with them. Didnt he show up in the fourth with a neckbrace on?

Babylon
07-21-2008, 03:09 PM
I remember watching that game and Marcel Reece and Louis Rankin (Starting RB) were seriously trying to get in it with them. Didnt he show up in the fourth with a neckbrace on?

Yeah he came back in civies, at the time nobody knew if he had broken his neck or what it was. The game become secondary.

From what i hear, and i wasnt at the spring game, he threw the ball real well and i think his receivers, although they will lack experience, will be a big improvement over last year.

holt_bruce81
07-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Locker is a pimp, I like the Mcnabb comparisons some of you have made. Wouldn't worry to much about his throwing, It'll get a lot better this upcoming season.

TACKLE
07-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Another guy who I think is a good comparison is Michael Robinson. Both very mobile players who are great leaders but they both need to improve on their passing. If Locker can have a more pass-first run-second mindset, he should be able to be a successful QB at the next level.

Also, I'm picking Jake for Pac 10 OPOY.

holt_bruce81
07-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Another guy who I think is a good comparison is Michael Robinson. Both very mobile players who are great leaders but they both need to improve on their passing. If Locker can have a more pass-first run-second mindset, he should be able to be a successful QB at the next level.

Also, I'm picking Jake for Pac 10 OPOY.

Locker was a better passer his Freshman year than Robinson was his Senior year......I hate that comparison.

badgerbacker
07-30-2008, 11:45 PM
I've only seen one game of his, so I'm not going to pretend like I'm an expert on him. He does seem to have a very strong arm, but that definitely doesn't make him a good passer and he did not look good in the air when I saw him.

Brent
07-31-2008, 09:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMfiq9CXss8 his highlights are pretty cool to watch. He had a few nice runs against Ohio State.

MidwayMonster31
07-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Dennis Dixon could be used as a comparison. They both have a 'run-first' mentality. They were similar passers going into their sophomore seasons. They also know how to win and can command their team. I think Locker could have a very good year for the Huskies.

duckseason
07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Dennis Dixon could be used as a comparison. They both have a 'run-first' mentality. They were similar passers going into their sophomore seasons. They also know how to win and can command their team. I think Locker could have a very good year for the Huskies.
Dixon has always been a pass-first QB, going back to HS.

Race for the Heisman
08-03-2008, 03:30 PM
He kind of reminds me of Marcus Vick. He doesn't have the pure agility and speed that Michael Vick has but he has the same long stride, cutbacks, and mentality towards contact that I think Marcus Vick had. That said, comparing them statistically is absurd, for Marcus Vick's stats are really disappointing for someone who was supposed to be a dual-threat quarterback.

djp
08-11-2008, 10:10 PM
He has an absolute rocket. That Hawaii game sealed it for me.

08-11-2008, 10:18 PM
He has an absolute rocket. That Hawaii game sealed it for me.

Yeah, admittedly that's one of the only games most of us actually saw of Locker's. He sure displayed a cannon of arm in that one.

djp
09-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Every time I see Locker I like him more and more. Gonna bump this. I'm definitely a Jake Locker guy.

He has arguably the strongest arm in the nation, is extremely mobile and has good size and intangibles.

He is still very raw as a passer in terms of accuracy. His deep ball is pretty, but he struggles with knowing how much touch to give the ball on the intermediate/short routes, and his accuracy is a little shaky.

His tools are as good as any QB prospect in the country.

Think Tarvaris Jackson with "it" as of now.

GB12
09-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Dennis Dixon could be used as a comparison.

He kind of reminds me of Marcus Vick.

Think Tarvaris Jackson with "it" as of now

Um, Jake Locker is white.

09-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Um, Jake Locker is white.

I don't see a problem. I actually like some of those comparisons especially the one to Tavaris Jackson.

yo123
09-13-2008, 09:46 PM
I don't see a problem. I actually like some of those comparisons especially the one to Tavaris Jackson.

He's just making fun of the fact that people have a hard time comparing white players with black players.

09-13-2008, 09:51 PM
He's just making fun of the fact that people have a hard time comparing white players with black players.

Yes, I don't understand how I didn't see that at quick glance lol. A few of the comparisons are legit though, imo.

Babylon
09-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Really hard to evaluate Jake because he plays for such a lousy team with inexperienced receivers. I see better accuracy in the short passing game but he struggles to throw deep. If he can't rectify that he is going to have to either switch to safety or the outfield in baseball. In baseball he is a 5 tool player and the money and length of career is better but i know he loves football.

summond822
09-14-2008, 07:27 PM
He is such a great runner. Biggest strength in his game. He has a rocket for an arm, and he is extremely tough to bring down, in the open field and behind the line of scrimmage. He has been hampered by a hamstring problem early on in the season and if that isn't there he breaks containment on BYU and easily rushes for more yardage and probably a couple of scores.

His weaknesses include not being able to get good touch on his deep balls. I have watched him overthrow wide open WR's like 5 times this year. He puts good zip on his short passes, but he has a tendency to float them.

The Huskies actually considered burning his redshirt as a freshman to put him in at tailback. He is that dynamic of a runner.

He has skill at positions around him, but it is all so young and inexperienced, it is very hard for the Huskies to get anything consistent going outside of Locker. I doubt he comes out this year. He may come out next year as a RS Junior.

If he played running back for the Huskies he would be the leading rusher in the Pac 10 hands down. Even with no skill elsewhere on the field.

As for the guy who compared him to Tebow, yes they are very similar. However, Locker is a better runner than Tebow. Tebow is more of a physical, "I'm gonna hit you and drag you behind me runner" while Jake can do that, he can also pull off an athletic open field juke to get around guys.

juice1432
09-14-2008, 08:18 PM
"... If he played running back for the Huskies he would be the leading rusher in the Pac 10 hands down. Even with no skill elsewhere on the field."

That made me laugh.