PDA

View Full Version : Pat White's Draft Stock

TheBuffaloBills
07-20-2008, 10:25 PM
If he has a solid season where do you think he is going to go..... Better yet what team is he going to be drafted by and in what round. 100 bucks to the winner, go.

the_legend_killer
07-20-2008, 10:35 PM
6th Round, San Francisco 49ers

Scott Wright
07-20-2008, 10:35 PM
The first thing to remember is that Pat White is a wide receiver prospect, not a quarterback.

With that in mind the best-case scenario is probably round two, with rounds 3-5 more likely.

Staubach12
07-20-2008, 11:07 PM
If he pulls a Dennis Dixon, I could see him getting a look at QB from some pro scouts. However, those chances are not so good for a number of reasons. As a WR, I could see him going as early as two or as late as seven. He's an intruiging prospect. A lot will hinge on his workouts so it's tough to impossible to call at the moment.

GB12
07-21-2008, 12:01 AM
I see your 2-5 and 2-7 and raise you a 1-7.

I win.

MidwayMonster31
07-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Nice. ^^^
Back to the topic, after the whole Matt Jones debacle, I would be surprised if White gets drafted as a wide receiver any earlier than the 3rd-4th round. The best way to raise his stock is for Stewart to put him in sets where he can play wide receiver, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Geo
07-21-2008, 01:22 AM
I'll say somewhere between Rounds 5 through 7. He's a transitional project with a great deal of unknown relative to the position, and he doesn't have size going for him (could even be a negative once the hard numbers come in). Michael Robinson was a better prospect than White is imo, and he was taken early in the 4th round by the 49ers in 2006.

LonghornsLegend
07-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Nice. ^^^
Back to the topic, after the whole Matt Jones debacle, I would be surprised if White gets drafted as a wide receiver any earlier than the 3rd-4th round. The best way to raise his stock is for Stewart to put him in sets where he can play wide receiver, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Matt Jones isn't going to stop teams from drafting projects, for every Matt Jones you have an Anquan Boldin, Antwaan Randle El, Heinz Ward, Patrick Crayton, the list is just as long of guys who made the switch sucessfully.

With White it will depend on his size, not his listed size, but what he shows up to the combines at...He's listed at 6'2 185 but I wouldn't be surprised if he measured out to be 6'0 170, and with converted QB's alot hinges on his pro day workouts and combine individual drill...Thats when they can break down and see how natural he looks playing WR, does he catch with his hands, does he round off his routes, all those questions cannot be answered at this point thats why you could see him all over the place as a prospect.

Gatz
07-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Random guess
Round 5, Steelers

wicket
07-21-2008, 01:57 AM
round 5 Saints

Forenci
07-21-2008, 03:52 AM
Matt Jones isn't going to stop teams from drafting projects, for every Matt Jones you have an Anquan Boldin, Antwaan Randle El, Heinz Ward, Patrick Crayton, the list is just as long of guys who made the switch sucessfully.

With White it will depend on his size, not his listed size, but what he shows up to the combines at...He's listed at 6'2 185 but I wouldn't be surprised if he measured out to be 6'0 170, and with converted QB's alot hinges on his pro day workouts and combine individual drill...Thats when they can break down and see how natural he looks playing WR, does he catch with his hands, does he round off his routes, all those questions cannot be answered at this point thats why you could see him all over the place as a prospect.

Very good point. I really would be surprised if Pat White was even 6'0. He looks really tiny, not to mention very thin. Those two things don't bode well for moving to wide receiver, especially if he doesn't run well at the combine.

Oh, not to mention all the injury concerns he's had.

MetSox17
07-21-2008, 04:15 AM
I'll say somewhere between Rounds 5 through 7. He's a transitional project with a great deal of unknown relative to the position, and he doesn't have size going for him (could even be a negative once the hard numbers come in). Michael Robinson was a better prospect than White is imo, and he was taken early in the 4th round by the 49ers in 2006.

I'd like to hear the explanation as to how Michael Robinson was a better prospect coming out.

And to say that in his best case scenario he gets drafted in the 5th round, is just ludicrous. He's a high profile guy, who's a heck of an athlete. If his coach wants to do him any good, he should create some packages where he lines up at WR and they run him off screens, and let him show some of his agility, speed and play-making ability. As long as he shows up above 5'11 and 9/10ths, he should be a lock for anything above the middle of the 5th round. He will time in the high 4.4 range, which should give him some good stock. I don't see him ever making a huge impact at the WR position at the next level, but he can be very Antwaan Randle-El-esque. He just needs to start showing scouts that he can do other things, and his coaching staff needs to help him.

wogitalia
07-21-2008, 05:17 AM
I'd be interested to see what happens if he shows up and actually measures bigger than listed. It seems massively improbable to me, but if he did, does he have any chance at QB as a project.

I mean at the same point in his career, what has he not done that Dixon had? Say he completes 70% next year, is there a real good reason to not look at him as a QB.

That said, as a WR I don't like him, to be honest I see him as a DeSean Jackson type player if he makes it as a WR in the way he would have to play, and honestly if DeSean is a 3rd round guy with his production, how can White go before the 6th.

Just my take, I like White, but I think his combine numbers may have more impact on his draft position than any other player.

MetSox17
07-21-2008, 06:33 AM
I'd be interested to see what happens if he shows up and actually measures bigger than listed. It seems massively improbable to me, but if he did, does he have any chance at QB as a project.

I mean at the same point in his career, what has he not done that Dixon had? Say he completes 70% next year, is there a real good reason to not look at him as a QB.

That said, as a WR I don't like him, to be honest I see him as a DeSean Jackson type player if he makes it as a WR in the way he would have to play, and honestly if DeSean is a 3rd round guy with his production, how can White go before the 6th.

Just my take, I like White, but I think his combine numbers may have more impact on his draft position than any other player.

Well seeing as DeSean was a second round guy, we might bump that up to the 5th round. :rolleyes:

There's no way he measures above what he's listed as. I've never seen anything like that happen before.. If they have his proper measurements, they would never short-change him in that department, seeing as height is an intricate barometer of success (not always, but don't deny its help) at the quarterback position.

If he were to complete a high percentage, it still wouldn't mean jack, because he doesn't have an NFL arm, and he probably has never played in anything remotely close to an NFL offense. And you saying that his combine numbers will have more impact on his draft position than anyone else, i couldn't disagree more. I'll make the argument that they'll impact him the least. Everyone knows he isn't gonna be a quarterback, so whether he runs a 4.35 or a 4.49, it isn't gonna bump him up three or four rounds like you're making it seem. Of course teams are gonna wanna pull the trigger on a great athlete, but teams have also learned that no matter how athletic a guy can be, he still has to be able to play his position properly (Troy Williamson, Devery Henderson).

keylime_5
07-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Right now I think probably round 5. Could get a go in late round 4.

07-21-2008, 10:16 AM
He's a better athlete than most of the other guys who have converted to receiver mentioned in this thread already. Randel El would probably be the fairest comparison considering they are relatively the same size. My prediction is so vague at the moment it can go really anywhere from rounds 2-5.

wicket
07-21-2008, 10:31 AM
he has one major plus if he turns out to be as tall as he is listed and that is that you can also use him as a third(seventh in tampa bay) string qb and that'll save you a place on your roster

princefielder28
07-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Round 4 to the Raiders

Brent
07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Round 6 - Texans

keylime_5
07-21-2008, 11:17 AM
He's a better athlete than most of the other guys who have converted to receiver mentioned in this thread already. Randel El would probably be the fairest comparison considering they are relatively the same size. My prediction is so vague at the moment it can go really anywhere from rounds 2-5.

And Matt Jones went in round one, but I think after even Randle El and Hines Ward and Joshua Cribbs being very good players who were QBs in college that the low success rate of QBs turned pro WRs will hurt his stock a little bit even if he has great numbers which is why I say late round 4 to round 5 right now. I wonder what kind of kick return skills Pat White might have.

Staubach12
07-21-2008, 03:37 PM
I see your 2-5 and 2-7 and raise you a 1-7.

I win.

Think again...

1-Undrafted.

LonghornsLegend
07-21-2008, 03:47 PM
And Matt Jones went in round one, but I think after even Randle El and Hines Ward and Joshua Cribbs being very good players who were QBs in college that the low success rate of QBs turned pro WRs will hurt his stock a little bit even if he has great numbers which is why I say late round 4 to round 5 right now. I wonder what kind of kick return skills Pat White might have.

I think you guys are putting too much stock into this, seriously you get bust everywhere, for every QB converted WR that didn't pan out you have a guy who did and ended up very well...It's not like the guys who were bust would make a team pass on someone else they liked, Matt Jones wasn't a bust because he couldn't play Wr, he was just lazy and un motivated...Teams aren't going to look at past QB's who were converted that didn't pan out and shy away form White, I think every guy gets his own fair evaluation.

Stanback was just taken in the 4th round because of his athleticism, if White has a strong year and times well it won't matter how many other guys didn't pan out.

TACKLE
07-21-2008, 03:48 PM
The guy he reminds me of is Reggie McNeal from Texas A&M. Pat White should run in the low 4.4's and might even crack 4.3. I think he'll just end up being a #3 or 4 WR and a gadget-play guy.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Think again...

1-Undrafted.

I'll raise you both 1-Canadian Football League

07-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Let's not forget he could always just turn to baseball if things don't work out. :)

RaiderNation
07-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Id take a cahnce on him with a 5th to 7th round pick. Kind of athlete that can play WR, QB, KR

DeathbyStat
07-22-2008, 04:23 PM
As slot wide out I'd be tempted to grab him between the 4th and the 7th round.

Can the guy catch at all?

BamaFalcon59
07-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Rounds three to five.

Canadian_kid16
07-24-2008, 10:11 AM
I'll raise you both 1-Canadian Football League

1-Not even playing football

anyhoo, I would take a risk on him in the fifth round, as a WR though. He's intriguing, but seeing how colleges tend to inflate measurables, he'd have to really impress at the various training events. It could get interesting.

YAYareaRB
07-24-2008, 10:30 AM
If he was only a couple inches taller and heavier..

wicket
07-24-2008, 10:44 AM
1-Not even playing football

anyhoo, I would take a risk on him in the fifth round, as a WR though. He's intriguing, but seeing how colleges tend to inflate measurables, he'd have to really impress at the various training events. It could get interesting.

1-pumping gas at a gas station
no seriously he could be worthwile for his diversity, having a third/fourth string qb that doesnt take a roster spot, since he also is a wr.

Brent
07-24-2008, 11:02 AM
If he was only a couple inches taller and heavier..
He'd be Vince Young?

YAYareaRB
07-24-2008, 12:34 PM
He'd be Vince Young?

You hit it right on the head.

smittyjs
07-24-2008, 05:51 PM
He'd be Vince Young?
If only he had the arm to match young's.....

scottyboy
07-24-2008, 05:54 PM
6-undrafted.

It'll happen after Joe Lefeged snaps his leg in half coming off a blitz. oh well..

JT Jag
07-24-2008, 08:41 PM
He's going to need a big combine.

If he runs below a 4.5 and does well in receiver drills, he could get some looks as a round 3 or even late round 2 guy.

lordquas
07-24-2008, 09:31 PM
why not just use him as a return man. I cant really see him as a receiver tho

kwilk103
07-24-2008, 10:30 PM
he ran a 4.4 when wvu timed this spring

it will be interesting to see how he does this year with a new offense; he will finally be allowed to air it out, with a lot more downfield passing

he reportedly started off slow in the spring with the new offense, but looked a lot better once he got it down

his stat lines from the 3 scrimmages wvu had also improved and he looked good in the spring game

he has a good arm too; coming out of hs he was a 4th round pick of the angels as an outfielder, and wouldnt have made it out of the 2nd if it werent for his strong commitment to wvu (according to baseball america)

i could see him pulling a dennis dixon like someone else said

i could also see him being an antwan randle el

def an interesting prospect

TimD
07-24-2008, 10:31 PM
the brad smith experiment is still going on but not looking good...
i guess pat white will be similar

kwilk103
07-24-2008, 10:33 PM
forgot to say watch out for his go to receiver bradley starks

6'3 190---1st year playing wr

ran a 4.36

great athlete; had some major sec/acc/big east bball offers; his jr year he dropped 40 on oak hill academy (walker and beasley's team)

also his sr year he ran track (only year) and posted the 9th longest long jump in the country

will only be a rs fresh

wants to go back to being a qb, but he has so much potential at wr

ChefMike
07-27-2008, 12:44 PM
He is not size wise in the 6'0 170lbs range he is over 6'1 and close to 185lbs.. I am 6ft 185 myself and I have stood next to him and he is taller and a little bigger.. so the thing he needs to showcase this year is ability to drop back and pass and not his ability to catch the ball.. can he do that sure. He is a GREAT athlete. But he has the instincts of a QB and can really make that happen in the NFL if given the chance...

Brent
07-27-2008, 02:43 PM
I meant it as a joke, honestly.

BamaFalcon59
07-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Would Pat White still be better off in pro baseball? I think he should have went with it, a fourth round pick out of highschool is damn good.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-31-2008, 08:50 PM
Would Pat White still be better off in pro baseball? I think he should have went with it, a fourth round pick out of highschool is damn good.

He should have. In fact, I don't see why more kids don't do it. That's some solid guarenteed money right there even if they amount to jack.

BamaFalcon59
07-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I remember Shark was like a fourth round pick two years ago and was slated to make more money than a late or mid tier first round NFL pick.

kwilk103
07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
he was offered 6 figures to play baseball out of hs

Turtlepower
07-31-2008, 09:29 PM
White would be playing in college, but WVU head baseball coach only allows white players on the team. =P

Hokie_Pokie08
07-31-2008, 11:13 PM
he ran a 4.4 when wvu timed this spring

didn't wvu's players also put up big numbers at their spring testing only to come in slower at the combine last year?

LonghornsLegend
08-01-2008, 12:20 AM

Or the ability to show up in a huge game...

Either way, nobody is looking at this guy as a QB prospect, and I doubt that will ever change through the next season...Teams know he is going to be an athlete at the next level.

Mr. Stiller
08-01-2008, 01:23 AM
As a WR.. and after this past season I'll have to see who's lacking that threat.

But come the Senior bowl.. if he shows to be an elusive KR/WR Prospect.. I could see him pulling a Devin Hester or Antwaan Randel El style rise to round 2.

I could see Seattle, Jacksonville, and Carolina as my front runners in round 2-3.

kwilk103
08-01-2008, 03:21 AM
didn't wvu's players also put up big numbers at their spring testing only to come in slower at the combine last year?

only slaton; but it was obvious from watching games from freshman-soph-jr years that he got slower; mainly from soph-jr year

yea, vt never lies about their times either

fwiw, starks (4.3) was burning all our corners and hes been playing wr for a couple months

noted him earlier, but hes 1 to watch this year

Buttered toast sonic
08-01-2008, 06:37 AM
why is everyone talking about him as a WR? He's probably best suited to play RB, he's already shown he is comfortable doing that, and he could possibly play QB, all in all, He's an intresting prospect who could go anywhere from round 2 to undrafted.

Staubach12
08-01-2008, 01:37 PM
why is everyone talking about him as a WR? He's probably best suited to play RB, he's already shown he is comfortable doing that, and he could possibly play QB, all in all, He's an intresting prospect who could go anywhere from round 2 to undrafted.

185 lb RB as opposed to a 185 lb WR.

http://www.imgdump.info/data/media/46/You%20Fail.jpg

Byrd430
08-01-2008, 08:00 PM
He's one of the Dennis Dixon, Isaiah Stanbeck, etc. etc. of the league, so as a project of immense athletic ability, I say White falls somewhere around the 4-6 rounds.

For the sake of 100 dollars, I say 5th round to St. Louis.

Brent
08-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Dennis Dixon
Dennis Dixon has always been a throw-first QB and he can actually throw the ball well.

Byrd430
08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Dennis Dixon has always been a throw-first QB and he can actually throw the ball well.

True, but he's been generally regarded as a running QB. Or at the least, an athlete (instead of a QB). His injury also dropped him a lot lower than I felt that he should go, but he wasn't drafted as a pure QB.

Hokie_Pokie08
08-01-2008, 09:15 PM
only slaton; but it was obvious from watching games from freshman-soph-jr years that he got slower; mainly from soph-jr year

yea, vt never lies about their times either

fwiw, starks (4.3) was burning all our corners and hes been playing wr for a couple months

noted him earlier, but hes 1 to watch this year

it is nice that you are always thinking of VT even when nobody mentions them.

kwilk103
08-01-2008, 09:36 PM
it was kinda like the pot calling the kettle black

Hokie_Pokie08
08-01-2008, 09:56 PM
it was kinda like the pot calling the kettle black

it might have been the case if i had said something about VT's times, except that i hadn't. though the more people with VT on their mind, the better.

ChezPower4
08-02-2008, 12:42 PM
He's a really good athlete so i think he could pull off being a WR. Wouldn't be surprised if the team that drafts him tries him out at QB though

Solomon
08-02-2008, 01:05 PM
If Reggie McNeal couldn't crack the first five rounds after running a 4.40 40 at the combine at 205 lbs I don't see White getting drafted any higher than the fifth.

adschofield
08-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Wouldn't be shocked if he turned pro in baseball

Brent
08-02-2008, 03:19 PM
he wasn't drafted as a pure QB.
That's what he plays for the Steelers.

If Reggie McNeal couldn't crack the first five rounds after running a 4.40 40 at the combine at 205 lbs I don't see White getting drafted any higher than the fifth.
Pretty much, and Reggie could actually throw the ball.

Staubach12
08-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I loved Reggie coming out. I hated to see him fail.

Brent
08-02-2008, 03:54 PM
I loved Reggie coming out. I hated to see him fail.
I wasn't surprised he did. His ego was so bad at A&M that most the players here didn't like him at all. If a team had brought him in as a QB, I think he would have lasted much longer in the NFL.

Shane P. Hallam
08-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Fast QBs always get their chance at WR.

Brad Smith, Eric Crouch, Antwan Randle El, Matt Jones, the list goes on.

White will be picked in the 3rd round as a developmental WR

kwilk103
08-31-2008, 02:28 AM
granted it was 'nova, but he looked 10x better throwin the ball

25/33 209 5 td 1 int (wr dropped it and went straight to db; not whites fault)

a lot of the incompletions were due to drops

actually went through his progressions, and reads nicely

footwork was a lot better

bearfan
08-31-2008, 11:51 AM
So if he keeps this improved passing up, where do you guys think he will fall if he enters as a QB?

CashmoneyDrew
08-31-2008, 11:57 AM
The earliest I could see him going as a QB is round 4 but hey, Maurice Clarett went in the third round so anything is possible.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Assuming that White is looked at more as a wide receiver than a quarterback after this season wraps up (not an absolute, but he's got the athleticism and the body type), it's hard to project right now. So much will be based on how good he looks running receiver drills in front of NFL scouts.

BBIB
09-02-2008, 01:29 PM
So if he keeps this improved passing up, where do you guys think he will fall if he enters as a QB?

The sky is the limit. I see all these ignorant posts comparing Pat White to all these other running QBs in college in Randle El, Stanback, Crouch, Brad Smith, etc.

All of those QBs put up mediocre stats even for college QBs let alone warranting pro transition. Guys with mediocre completion percentages don't translate to the next level period regardless if they are dual threat or not.

And the idea that every dual threat QB is doomed to be as bad as those guys is as idiotic as comparing all pocket passers as guys who are a complete joke.

The problem with Pat White has been that he hasn't been given the shot under the system at Rich Rodriguez. His efficiency has been exceptional the last couple of years ranking in the top 10 in the league. But his number of passing attempts has been near the bottom of D-1A football. He's ranked in the bottom 10 in the nation in passing attempts per game. And given that on those passing attempts he was forced to throw slants, screens, and hitches, he had no shot to make the pros in that system.

Well it looks like all that has changed. Bill Stewart said they would throw the ball more. So did Jeff Mullen, but who knew they meant THAT much. Pat White had by far more passing attempts than he's ever had in his career and he didn't disappoint.

In fact 6 of his 8 incompletions (including the pick) were a result of dropped passes.

If he displays this new passing prowess on national TV in the next two games vs ECU and Colorado, his stock not only as a Heisman candidate, but as a pro QB will absolutely soar.

illmatic74
09-02-2008, 01:58 PM
The sky is the limit. I see all these ignorant posts comparing Pat White to all these other running QBs in college in Randle El, Stanback, Crouch, Brad Smith, etc.

All of those QBs put up mediocre stats even for college QBs let alone warranting pro transition. Guys with mediocre completion percentages don't translate to the next level period regardless if they are dual threat or not.

And the idea that every dual threat QB is doomed to be as bad as those guys is as idiotic as comparing all pocket passers as guys who are a complete joke.

The problem with Pat White has been that he hasn't been given the shot under the system at Rich Rodriguez. His efficiency has been exceptional the last couple of years ranking in the top 10 in the league. But his number of passing attempts has been near the bottom of D-1A football. He's ranked in the bottom 10 in the nation in passing attempts per game. And given that on those passing attempts he was forced to throw slants, screens, and hitches, he had no shot to make the pros in that system.

Well it looks like all that has changed. Bill Stewart said they would throw the ball more. So did Jeff Mullen, but who knew they meant THAT much. Pat White had by far more passing attempts than he's ever had in his career and he didn't disappoint.

In fact 6 of his 8 incompletions (including the pick) were a result of dropped passes.

If he displays this new passing prowess on national TV in the next two games vs ECU and Colorado, his stock not only as a Heisman candidate, but as a pro QB will absolutely soar.
Pat White does not have enough arm strength to make the basic NFL throws. This is why he projects as a WR. He passing stats look similar to Brad Smith's.

Bruce Banner
09-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Pat White does not have enough arm strength to make the basic NFL throws. This is why he projects as a WR. He passing stats look similar to Brad Smith's.

Yeah, I don't see Pat hitting a receiver running a 40 yard out route. (without double crow hopping and cheating 5 yards).

Geo
09-02-2008, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't put White in the same sentence as Antwaan Randle El, Brad Smith, and Michael Robinson. Those three were all better players and better projects to transition to wide receiver/runningback. Those guys had the smarts, can catch the ball, and can take a hit.

The West Virginia masses need to get real for once, the only thing White has going for him is that maybe he'll make a good CFL quarterback.

I wouldn't waste a draft pick on him, I would rather go for someone who can actually play wide receiver/runningback and special teams in the pros.

Bruce Banner
09-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't put White in the same sentence as Antwaan Randle El, Brad Smith, and Michael Robinson. Those three were all better players and better projects to transition to wide receiver/runningback. Those guys had the smarts, can catch the ball, and can take a hit.

The West Virginia masses need to get real for once, the only thing White has going for him is that maybe he'll make a good CFL quarterback.

I wouldn't waste a draft pick on him, I would rather go for someone who can actually play wide receiver/runningback and special teams in the pros.

Have to agree with this. I just don't believe NFL teams have the patience to "develop" these projects.

P-L
09-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Pat White is listed as 6'1" 192 on West Virginia's website. Colleges usually inflate the size of their players a little bit as well. I've seen White listed in numerous places at 185 instead of 192. If White measures in at the combine at 6'0" or 6'1" and only weighs 185-190 lbs, then no team is going to give him a shot to play QB.

Even in last week's game Pat White's yards per attempt and yards per completion were much lower than his 2007 average and his career average. Even if he threw the ball more in his first game this year, those numbers indicate that he is still throwing a lot of short passes.

He definitely has a long way to go if he wants to get drafted as a QB. He's in his fourth year and still has yet to show he can make all the NFL-type throws. Right now, his stock is much higher as a wide receiver than it is as a quarterback.

brat316
09-02-2008, 02:33 PM
WR 6th round Arizona.

BBIB
09-02-2008, 03:12 PM

His passing stats are not similar to any of those QBs you name. I am trying not to embarass all of you who are comparing him to Randle El, Brad Smith, Isaiah etc by posting Pat White's stats in the last couple of years. Never mind what type of sick numbers he could put up this year.

Most of those guys had about the same number of INTs as Touchdowns going into their last year. Most of them had completion percentages closer to 50% than 60%. And in their best years they averaged closer to 1 passing TD a game than 2. Some of them even averaged less than 1 passing TD a game.

Trust me it's not even close in terms of production.

And to say he doesn't have the arm is based on what? The fact that he was stuck in a dink and dunk offense under Rich Rodriguez? Have you personally tested his ability to complete a post, post corner, fly, deep out etc? Those routes sure as hell weren't in the playbook the last 3 years.

BBIB
09-02-2008, 03:21 PM

Im curious how you can come to that conclusion when Pat White is a superior passer and runner than all of those guys at the college level.

One thing's for sure, Pat White is going to make a fool out of either his doubters or supporters especially these next two weeks on National TV and later Auburn.

I can hardly wait.

Bruce Banner
09-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Im curious how you can come to that conclusion when Pat White is a superior passer and runner than all of those guys at the college level.

One thing's for sure, Pat White is going to make a fool out of either his doubters or supporters especially these next two weeks on National TV and later Auburn.

I can hardly wait.

Last time I checked, we were talking about his pro potential and his inability to make *NFL* throws.

BBIB
09-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Last time I checked, we were talking about his pro potential and his inability to make *NFL* throws.

Right. So he should be exposed on National TV as a fraud in the new pass happy WVU offense vs more solid defenses right?

Seeing that Joshua Cribbs, Randel El, Stanback, Crouch, etc all put up mediocre numbers passing wise, White should as well right?

The Villanova game was a fluke right?

Bruce Banner
09-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Right. So he should be exposed on National TV as a fraud in the new pass happy WVU offense vs more solid defenses right?

Seeing that Joshua Cribbs, Randel El, Stanback, Crouch, etc all put up mediocre numbers passing wise, White should as well right?

I just doubt WV will ask him to make a 45 yard post against a cover 3 with mediocre protection, or a 40 yard out route.

D-Unit
09-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Pat White's a hell of a college QB, but as a Pro prospect, he's gonna be an unhappy camper on draft day.

D-Unit
09-02-2008, 03:53 PM

Pat White wishes he had the gun that Stanback had. Stanback could throw 65+ yard bombs.

BBIB
09-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Pat White's a hell of a college QB, but as a Pro prospect, he's gonna be an unhappy camper on draft day.

Vince Young was a WR prospect going until his final year at Texas.
Dennis Dixon was a baseball prospect.

Those guys had as many picks as TDs going into their final year.

One year can do wonders for a player's stock.

Hell some people have Hunter Cantwell as a #1 QB going into this season knowing that he would only have one year as a starter.

I have been following Pat White's career since his 1st year, and I would agree with your "no chance in hell" premise before WVU got rid of Rich Rodriguez.

That move gave Pat White the 1 year window of giving pro scouts a shot at seeing what he's got.

He's got this whole season including 3 games on National TV (and probably 4 including a Bowl game) to prove himself.

If Pat White puts up solid numbers and leads WVU to a BCS Bowl win, he's getting a shot at QB. You can deny it all you want, but recent history would agree with me. Now it's up to him to put up those numbers (well and his receivers to not let him down)

D-Unit
09-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Vince Young was a WR prospect going until his final year at Texas.
Dennis Dixon was a baseball prospect.

Those guys had as many picks as TDs going into their final year.

One year can do wonders for a player's stock.

Hell some people have Hunter Cantwell as a #1 QB going into this season knowing that he would only have one year as a starter.

I have been following Pat White's career since his 1st year, and I would agree with your "no chance in hell" premise before WVU got rid of Rich Rodriguez.

That move gave Pat White the 1 year window of giving pro scouts a shot at seeing what he's got.

He's got this whole season including 3 games on National TV (and probably 4 including a Bowl game) to prove himself.

If Pat White puts up solid numbers and leads WVU to a BCS Bowl win, he's getting a shot at QB. You can deny it all you want, but recent history would agree with me. Now it's up to him to put up those numbers (well and his receivers to not let him down)
Well, I didn't say he had no chance in hell, but does he even want to be an NFL QB? And even with Rich Rodriguez out, I still think WVU's game plan is "Pat White, do whatever you want". So I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a drop back every down passer.

BBIB
Pat White wishes he had the gun that Stanback had. Stanback could throw 65+ yard bombs.

Ok that's it you asked for it:

HEre is the Best/Final Year for all these QBs being compared to Pat White

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2005&org=697&player=1
Reggie McNeal

1.6 passing TDs/game

16 TDs
9 INTs

53.2 completion percentage (141/265)

10 games
==

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2005&org=539&player=12
Michael Robinson

1.4 passing TDs/game

17 TDs
10 INTs

52.1 completion percentage (162/311)

12 games

==
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2003&org=331&player=9

Joshua Cribbs- Kent St

1.2 passing TDs/game

14 TDs
9 INTs

48.9 completion percentage (178/364)

12 games

==
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2005&org=434&player=16
Brad Smith

1.1 passing TDs/game

13 TDs
9 INTs

59.3 completion percentage (237/399)

12 games

Best Year

1.5 passing TDs/game

17 TDs
11 INTs

11 games

51.7 completion percentage (191/369)

==

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2002&org=31&player=9
Matt Jones

1.1 passing TDs/game

16 TDs
8 INTs

52.1 completion percentage (122/234)

14 games

==
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2001&org=306&player=11
Antwaan Randle El

0.8 passing TDs/game

9 TDs
5 INTs

51.1 completion percentage (118/231)

11 games

==

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2005&org=756&player=4
Isaiah Stanback- Washington

0.8 passing TDs/game

9 TDs
6 INTs

54.2 % completion percentage (143/264)

11 games

==

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2001&org=463&player=7
Eric Crouch

0.6 passing TDs/game

7 TDs
10 INTs

55.5 completion percentage (105/189)

12 games

==

All of those guys have completely pedestrian numbers especially in the completion percentage department where they are all south of 60% and many near 50% or even worse.

Same thing for the TD totals of less than 2 TDs a game with most near 1 TD or even worse.

None of those guys were as good of decision makers as Pat White with the football passing wise, and neither were the threat running the football either.

Pat White is going to be the all-time leading rusher for a QB in NCAA history and he's going to do it with by far a better YPC average than anyone else in the top 10.

Not to mention his winning where he can become the 1st QB in NCAA History to win 4 straight New Year's Bowls (not to mention 3 BCS Bowl Games)

I seriously hope Pat White takes the opportunity of a lifetime he has this year to improve his stock and make all these people who are adamant that he has no chance of playing QB look absolutely ridiculous.

kwilk103
i still think you have to let him play out this year to get a true sense of where hes at as a passer

saturday was the most att/comp/tds hes thrown; the 1st play from scrimmage was a 25-30 yd pass on the sidelines that his wr dropped

and hes not gonna throw 30 passes a game; its gonna be around 18-25; only reason he threw so much is b/c nova wouldnt take 9 out of the box

D-Unit
09-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Ok that's it you asked for it:

HEre is the Best/Final Year for all these QBs being compared to Pat White

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2005&org=697&player=1
Reggie McNeal

1.6 passing TDs/game

16 TDs
9 INTs

53.2 completion percentage (141/265)

10 games
==

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2005&org=539&player=12
Michael Robinson

1.4 passing TDs/game

17 TDs
10 INTs

52.1 completion percentage (162/311)

12 games

==
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2003&org=331&player=9

Joshua Cribbs- Kent St

1.2 passing TDs/game

14 TDs
9 INTs

48.9 completion percentage (178/364)

12 games

==
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2005&org=434&player=16
Brad Smith

1.1 passing TDs/game

13 TDs
9 INTs

59.3 completion percentage (237/399)

12 games

Best Year

1.5 passing TDs/game

17 TDs
11 INTs

11 games

51.7 completion percentage (191/369)

==

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2002&org=31&player=9
Matt Jones

1.1 passing TDs/game

16 TDs
8 INTs

52.1 completion percentage (122/234)

14 games

==
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2001&org=306&player=11
Antwaan Randle El

0.8 passing TDs/game

9 TDs
5 INTs

51.1 completion percentage (118/231)

11 games

==

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2005&org=756&player=4
Isaiah Stanback- Washington

0.8 passing TDs/game

9 TDs
6 INTs

54.2 % completion percentage (143/264)

11 games

==

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2001&org=463&player=7
Eric Crouch

0.6 passing TDs/game

7 TDs
10 INTs

55.5 completion percentage (105/189)

12 games

==

All of those guys have completely pedestrian numbers especially in the completion percentage department where they are all south of 60% and many near 50% or even worse.

Same thing for the TD totals of less than 2 TDs a game with most near 1 TD or even worse.

None of those guys were as good of decision makers as Pat White with the football passing wise, and neither were the threat running the football either.

Pat White is going to be the all-time leading rusher for a QB in NCAA history and he's going to do it with by far a better YPC average than anyone else in the top 10.

Not to mention his winning where he can become the 1st QB in NCAA History to win 4 straight New Year's Bowls (not to mention 3 BCS Bowl Games)

I seriously hope Pat White takes the opportunity of a lifetime he has this year to improve his stock and make all these people who are adamant that he has no chance of playing QB look absolutely ridiculous.
You're comparing stats. I was comparing a certain skill set. In this case arm strength.

If QB stats were important to NFL scouts, Colt Brennan would've been the #1 pick of the draft.

BBIB
09-02-2008, 04:09 PM
i still think you have to let him play out this year to get a true sense of where hes at as a passer

saturday was the most att/comp/tds hes thrown; the 1st play from scrimmage was a 25-30 yd pass on the sidelines that his wr dropped

and hes not gonna throw 30 passes a game; its gonna be around 18-25; only reason he threw so much is b/c nova wouldnt take 9 out of the box

And Im sure the next few opponents will stack the box like that seeing that most people probably still think that WVU's biggest strength is running the football and rightfully so with Pat White who is the active leading rusher in college football and Noel Devine who is absolutely lightning in a bottle.

But the great thing for Pat White is that even if they don't throw the ball 30 times, a game 20-25 attempts per game is still enough of an opportunity to display what he has. By far a better opportunity than what he had with Rich Rodriguez where Pat White was literally in the bottom 10 in all of D-1 football in passing attempts.

And again given the type of passes in that offense, how could ANY QB produce under those cirucumstances?

Now he has the opportunity. That's all Im saying. He may succeed or he may crumble. But he has the opportunity.

Im just refuting the ridiculous assertion that he doesn't even have a chance regardless of what he does this season.

BBIB
09-02-2008, 04:14 PM
You're comparing stats. I was comparing a certain skill set. In this case arm strength.

If QB stats were important to NFL scouts, Colt Brennan would've been the #1 pick of the draft.

Some stats don't point out successes but they can point out failure. Most QBs with completion percentages well below 60% in college fail in the pros. And when you combined lackluster TD/INT ratio on top of that, yeah that's pretty much automatic.

My point is that Pat White should not be put in the category of those guys because he was by far more productive than them. And given how terrible those guys stats are it's safe to say it was an indicator of the type of QBs they were.

Hell most of them had as many picks as TDs if not more going into their final year. Stats don't tell the whole story but when they are that bad, they count for something.

Comparing Pat White to guys that are that inferior in production is about as fair as comparing Carson Palmer to John David Booty just because they were both pocket QBs who played at USC

brat316
09-02-2008, 04:24 PM
BBIB if you trying to say that White has a good completion percentage compared to other qbs, isn't that because of the lack of pass attempted, and also because of that dink and dunk system(that you don't like) with Rich Rod.

P-L
09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Why are we constantly bringing Rich Rodriguez into this argument? Like I said, Pat White's yards per attempt and yards per completion against Villanova were lower than they ever were under Rich Rodriguez. That indicates that he is still throwing a bunch of short passes. I believe he had two 20+ yard passes that game (both were TD's) but the rest were short passes. His yards per attempt was 6.3 and his yards per completion was 8.3. Those numbers are nothing special. Aside from the two deeper throws I acknowledged earlier his averages were 4.8 yards per attempt and 6.5 yards per completion.

He can have all the statistics he wants, but he still needs to make NFL quality throws on a more consistent basis. Throwing two or three passes downfield per game and 30 screens and slants isn't going to erase doubts in the minds of NFL scouts. If Bill Stewart opens up the playbook more as the season goes on, then he has a chance to prove scouts and detractors wrong. But that one game against Villanova certainly didn't show that he can consistently make the throws that NFL teams require teams to make.

BBIB
09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
BBIB if you trying to say that White has a good completion percentage compared to other qbs, isn't that because of the lack of pass attempted, and also because of that dink and dunk system(that you don't like) with Rich Rod.

It's not just completion percentage. It's amount of TDs/game and TD/INT ratio that those other guys stunk at as well.

Guys like Randle El and Stanback didn't even average 1 passing TD a game during their best year. Other guys mentioned hovered around closer to 1 than 2+ and most had lackluster TD/INT ratios on top of mediocre completion percentages.

Such lackluster numbers are an indicator of failure regardless of style of QB.

Pat White did the best one could possibly do in the circumstances he had under RR. He at least was respectfully efficient. But obviously on so few attempts and such low quality attempts, that isn't enough to prove one's self.

That's the whole point of THIS SEASON. He will have a much larger quantity and quality of passing attempts to get a chance to prove himself.

In no way shape or form could he have done so under the previous regime.

He can have all the statistics he wants, but he still needs to make NFL quality throws on a more consistent basis. Throwing two or three passes downfield per game and 30 screens and slants isn't going to erase doubts in the minds of NFL scouts. If Bill Stewart opens up the playbook more as the season goes on, then he has a chance to prove scouts and detractors wrong. But that one game against Villanova certainly didn't show that he can consistently make the throws that NFL teams require teams to make.

Im not saying one game proves that Pat White can be a pro QB. Especially not one vs a D-1AA QB. What it again showed me was that he was going to have the OPPORTUNITY. There is no such opportunity under that run heavy spready system of RR and honestly that may be one of the big reasons why Terrelle Pryor did not go there.

That's why I emphasize the upcoming road games vs ECU and Colorado in the national spotlight along with Auburn. Those are much more formidable defenses which should prove much more challenging for Pat White and the WVU offense forcing White to make quicker and tougher decisions with the football even in hostile environments in front of the bright lights.

kwilk103
09-02-2008, 06:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V38UEm2Xgk4

has 3 of his td passes

kwilk103
09-03-2008, 12:38 AM
i found better highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSEp5eK6UQ0

Bruce Banner
09-03-2008, 12:42 AM
i found better highlights

:rolleyes:

Get me when the NFL is a massive highlight reel.

BBIB
09-03-2008, 01:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V38UEm2Xgk4

has 3 of his td passes

Most of his throws in that game were on the money. If Mark Sanchez makes those throws people are still impressed. Same thing with an established pro QB.

But I didn't think one game against Villanova would prove anything to people especially people who are so overwhelmingly biased against Pat White playing QB at the next level. Which is why I was going to bump up a Pat White thread I would have waited to do so after the next two nationally televised road games which will be a lot bigger tests.

But even if he passes those tests I'd still expect a push back of negativity and spin.

kwilk103
09-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Most of his throws in that game were on the money. If Mark Sanchez makes those throws people are still impressed. Same thing with an established pro QB.

But I didn't think one game against Villanova would prove anything to people especially people who are so overwhelmingly biased against Pat White playing QB at the next level. Which is why I was going to bump up a Pat White thread I would have waited to do so after the next two nationally televised road games which will be a lot bigger tests.

But even if he passes those tests I'd still expect a push back of negativity and spin.

like i said it was 'nova, but you could tell qb coach/oc jeff mullen really worked with him; his throwing motion was more fluid, his footwork was way better (the 1 thing they worked with him the most on), and he looked more comfortable in the pocket

all you have to do is watch marshall or west mich from last year (both bad teams) and you can notice an improvement

i counted 2 bad throws; 1 was behind a receiver in the endzone (25-30 yds out), and another was a little low, but it hit off the receivers hands

the int hit the receiver right in the hands; he was on target all game long

brat316
09-06-2008, 08:36 PM
How did Pat White do today?

Bruce Banner
09-06-2008, 08:46 PM
How did Pat White do today?

44-45 550 yards passing 6 TDs
15 rushes 175 yards 2 TDs.

brat316
09-06-2008, 09:01 PM
44-45 550 yards passing 6 TDs
15 rushes 175 yards 2 TDs.

I thought they lost.

brat316
09-06-2008, 09:02 PM
11/18 72 yards and 94 rush

you lied

Sniper
09-06-2008, 09:14 PM
11/18 72 yards and 94 rush

you lied

It's Rich Rodriguez's fault. He called all the plays today. That's why they lost and White sucked

kwilk103
09-06-2008, 09:36 PM
our oline sucked big time

he had no time

Bruce Banner
09-06-2008, 09:37 PM

he had no time

Your whole team sucked but now we know what happens when Pat White is forced to throw.....he runs.

Sniper
09-06-2008, 09:38 PM

he had no time

Do you ever blame White for anything at all? Or just everything around him? The playcalling, the receivers, the offensive line, the wind, the temperature, what type of underwear he wore today, whether or not he had his lucky meal before the game etc...? I seriously cannot remember you blaming White for any part of any WVU loss.

Sniper
09-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Your whole team sucked but now we know what happens when Pat White is forced to throw.....he runs.

Rodriguez's fault, yet again. He was in White's headset, all the way from Ann Arbor, and told him to run all the time. Rodriguez still wants control at WVU

kwilk103
09-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Do you ever blame White for anything at all? Or just everything around him? The playcalling, the receivers, the offensive line, the wind, the temperature, what type of underwear he wore today, whether or not he had his lucky meal before the game etc...? I seriously cannot remember you blaming White for any part of any WVU loss.

did you watch the game?

it was hardly his fault

i blame him for usf and pitt

Staubach12
09-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Wow... I really thought he was putting it together as a passer. I guess I'll need to see more...

Sniper
09-06-2008, 09:40 PM
did you watch the game?

it was hardly his fault

i blame him for usf and pitt

No you don't. You've explicitly said numerous times that both those games were due to poor playcalling by Satan himself.

Sniper
09-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Wow... I really thought he was putting it together as a passer. I guess I'll need to see more...

Because he **** on Villanova?

scottyboy
09-06-2008, 09:43 PM
rumor has it RichRod was actually the center for WVA in disguise who threatened to not snap the ball unless White ran it. On that late drive, White was throwing too much, hence the snap 10 feet over White's head

Sniper
09-06-2008, 09:49 PM
rumor has it RichRod was actually the center for WVA in disguise who threatened to not snap the ball unless White ran it. On that late drive, White was throwing too much, hence the snap 10 feet over White's head

I've just received confirmation of that rumor. He was actually playing all five OL spots, hence the suckiness. He told them not to block for White (well that's actually what he's apparently teaching Michigan's OL)

Bruce Banner
09-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Pat White + Pressure = Pat White running instead of making a well placed pass.

Staubach12
09-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Because he **** on Villanova?

I like him, make no mistake about it. I'm just saying I was disappointed.

aNYtitan
09-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Probably round 4 best case round 3

BBIB
09-08-2008, 04:32 PM

He was. It's as if WVU got scared that he may show something to pro scouts so they turned him back into a running back. Designed QB run after QB run even on 3rd and long.

Screen passes on 2nd and forever.

That was the worst playcalling I've ever seen.

ALl the talk in the pre-season about passing the ball more and not having a predictable offense, all the pass attempts in the first game, vanished. It was the complete antithesis to the gampelan in the first game.

If there was a way to sabotage any hope of Pat White being a Pro QB, well that was it.

Unless they make another 180 back to what we saw in the first game on Thursay night and beyond, Pat White can kiss any hope of throwing passes at the next level outside of trick plays

BBIB
09-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Pat White + Pressure = Pat White running instead of making a well placed pass.

Easy for one to surmise. But the problem wasn't Pat White taking off under pressure.

The problem was that there was never any legit passing plays from the start.

Granted he scrambled around a few times, most of the times he scrambled on his own he was looking to throw the ball down the field. But his receivers behaved as if they didn't know what a scramble drill was so he eventually tried to make plays on his own. This was even mentioned by Mike Patrick/Todd Blackledge who were calling the game.

But the most frustrating thing was not the receivers, not the Oline, but again the playcalling. IT was again atrocious. All the talk about how he would have a chance to make pro style throws outside the Rich Rodriguez offense? Well I guess that went out the window.

Funny thing is that ECU was even baffled in the interviews after the game on how they really did contain WVU's offense.

It pretty much stopped itself.

kwilk103
09-08-2008, 04:50 PM
the oline sucked big time

ecu rushed 3 and 4 and were getting to him in 3 sec

didnt help that everytime noel ran he was hit behind the los; he had to make a lot of people miss to even gain 3 yds

see how he does next thurs vs colorado

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 05:12 PM
White will not play QB in the NFL.

LonghornsLegend
09-08-2008, 05:41 PM
I didn't even think anyone was still arguing him as a QB prospect, I doubt anyone is scouting him as anything other then a WR, I figured that was the idea before the season even started, a few good games vs mediocre opponents won't change that.

D-Unit
09-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Pat White won't even be as good as Justin Gage in the NFL.

kwilk103
09-08-2008, 06:30 PM
fwiw, the oc was just on the radio

took full responsibility for the offense and pats play this weekend

scottyboy
09-08-2008, 06:38 PM

good god, Rich Rod's brainwashing powers know NO BOUNDS!

princefielder28
09-08-2008, 06:42 PM

he's not gonna throw his players under the bus

kwilk103
09-08-2008, 07:17 PM

some coaches have

Sniper
09-08-2008, 08:54 PM

I prefer honesty. Just me.

Sniper
09-08-2008, 08:55 PM
good god, Rich Rod's brainwashing powers know NO BOUNDS!

It's all Rich Rod's fault I tell ye!

some coaches have

A tip...don't neg rep me and say "It's getting old" and then go back to doing the same thing you've been doing since Rodriguez has left WVU. Kind of hypocritical.

kwilk103
09-08-2008, 09:06 PM
i never mentioned rods name

just saying i've heard coaches do it before

BBIB
09-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I didn't even think anyone was still arguing him as a QB prospect, I doubt anyone is scouting him as anything other then a WR, I figured that was the idea before the season even started, a few good games vs mediocre opponents won't change that.

The argument was that if he was truly going to be in a system where they were going to throw the ball more often, he could at least have the opportunity to make the case for himself as a QB at the next level in his final year.

We almost saw that last year with Dennis Dixon until he got hurt. He more than likely would have been a 1st day pick. We saw it with Vince Young a few years ago.

So I was assuming that when they opened up the offense in the 1st game that it was a sign they were true to their word and it was a sign of things to come.

Well what they displayed on Saturday was completely different. That display knocked WVU out of the National Title race and really damaged Pat White's Heisman campaign.

I guess on Thursday night we will find out which gameplan was the aberration the 1st or the 2nd.

That will determine if they will truly give him a chance to make his case for QB.