PDA

View Full Version : 2008 WSOP Thread

MetSox17
07-21-2008, 04:35 AM
Post thoughts and discussion about finishes and tournament play. Coverage will start airing Tuesday night, so that should be interesting. For those that want a link of all the winners:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_WSOP

Apparently, this year they're doing the Final Table of the Main event a little differently. The Final Table has been decided already, but they won't play until November 9th.

Spoiler on remaining Main Event F.T contestants.

Seat #, Contestant, Chip count, Current place.

* Seat 1: Dennis Phillips - 26,295,000 - 1st
* Seat 2: Craig Marquis - 10,210,000 - 8th
* Seat 3: Ylon Schwartz - 12,525,000 - 5th
* Seat 4: Scott Montgomery - 19,690,000 - 3rd
* Seat 5: Darus Suharto - 12,520,000 - 6th
* Seat 6: David Rheem - 10,230,000 - 7th
* Seat 7: Ivan Demidov - 24,400,000 - 2nd
* Seat 8: Kelly Kim - 2,620,000 - 9th
* Seat 9: Peter Eastgate - 18,375,000 - 4th

cdub11
07-21-2008, 09:15 AM
im not a fan of making them wait until November to finish, that is ridiculous!

bsaza2358
07-21-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm ecstatic to watch the coverage for the other bracelet events starting tomorrow on ESPN.

bsaza2358
07-21-2008, 09:39 AM
I am also not a fan of the final table people having to wait 4 months. However, there are some benefits to it:

1.) Big time marketing and endorsement opportunities. Never a bad thing for them to get the money now before they go to the final table. Good for those guys who get there.

2.) More watching the final table because people don't know who wins yet. More viewership = more money in the prize pool.

3.) It's not the worst idea in the world. Not a bad experiment. If it works out, that might happen from now on.

Primetime21
07-21-2008, 02:07 PM
So do they still do Toyota Player of the Year? If they do I am going to predict Daniel Negranu(sp) since I just love when he calls peoples hand straight up.

MetSox17
07-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Yes, they still do the Toyota Player of the year, but sadly, i doubt it'll be Daniel Negraneu (spoiler? ;)).

Bsaza is right though, if this works out for ESPN and the WSOP, they'll make some very nice dough with the marketing they can pull off. The only thing i absolutely hate, is the wait. I'm an avid poker player, i have been for about 4 years now, and making them wait that long, is essentially just making a brand new 9-man tournament for the title. Besides the chip-stacks, nothing from the original tournament will be important. By that time, everyone has forgotten other peoples styles of play, their aggressiveness with certain pot sizes or hands, when fatigue sets in.. all down the drain.

I too am excited for all the smaller events as well, cause if you haven't read the list of winners yet, there's a lot of pro's that did very well.

Primetime21
07-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Yes, they still do the Toyota Player of the year, but sadly, i doubt it'll be Daniel Negraneu (spoiler? ;)).

Bsaza is right though, if this works out for ESPN and the WSOP, they'll make some very nice dough with the marketing they can pull off. The only thing i absolutely hate, is the wait. I'm an avid poker player, i have been for about 4 years now, and making them wait that long, is essentially just making a brand new 9-man tournament for the title. Besides the chip-stacks, nothing from the original tournament will be important. By that time, everyone has forgotten other peoples styles of play, their aggressiveness with certain pot sizes or hands, when fatigue sets in.. all down the drain.

I too am excited for all the smaller events as well, cause if you haven't read the list of winners yet, there's a lot of pro's that did very well.

If I was in at a final table for what around 9mil I would constantly study up on my opponents style of play/tendencies. It should be a pretty vicious final table, they will be at the top of their game and very determined for the money.

Sucks to be the short stack, waiting so long to know your going to get eaten alive by the blinds.

MetSox17
07-21-2008, 02:29 PM
If I was in at a final table for what around 9mil I would constantly study up on my opponents style of play/tendencies. It should be a pretty vicious final table, they will be at the top of their game and very determined for the money.

Sucks to be the short stack, waiting so long to know your going to get eaten alive by the blinds.

Yeah, i'd be studying up as well.. but, without going into details to spoil the final table for those who'd rather watch on tv *Small, possible spoiler warning* there's nothing to study from, about the people that are at the final table.

The blinds shouldn't be that high right now, so 10 million as the short stack still isn't too bad. The chip leader has 26 million, so one big hand and he's right in the thick of things again.

jballa838
07-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I haven't played poker since before I signed up for this site, meaning since Dec 2006

Gatz
07-21-2008, 05:11 PM
(minor spoiler?)

Looks like the amateurs still haven't gotten to razz yet. The funnest poker event in the whole thing.
Surprised that Phil Ivey didn't make a single final table.

jnew76
07-22-2008, 11:03 AM
My only problem with having the final table of the main event 4 months later is what if someone tragically dies?

bsaza2358
07-23-2008, 08:54 AM
That is an interesting point. If someone were to die, the chip stack would remain and would be blinded off. Same as if someone just doesn't show up or doesn't come back after break. Prize money would be awarded to the estate.

bsaza2358
07-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Also want to point out that part of the draw of the WSOP for the pros is the side action. There are significant numbers of donkeys in town, especially those that get lucky and make the money. They have cash to burn, and they'll play big time cash games and get crushed. Many pros come to town and don't play in many events. They're just there to crush the donkeys.

MetSox17
07-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Let's bizzzump this.

Two new episodes tonight.

TheBuffaloBills
07-29-2008, 09:58 PM
WOW, flopping a boat then getting quads..... Thats crazy..... Everything was going right for him.

Saint Michael
07-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Daniel Negreanu wins a bracelet so i'm stoked to see that FT.

MetSox17
11-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Spoiler:
Peter Eastgate wins

Can't wait to see the final table today. Yesterday PTI ruined it for me cause they caught me off guard and announced the final two, and this morning while watching tv i accidentally caught a glimpse at the bottom ticker of who won, so i'm pretty pissed to say the least. But it should be an exciting table, nonetheless.

iowatreat54
11-11-2008, 11:57 AM
it's better than opening your home page (yahoo) and the front story is the winner...like you can't at least say someone won and make us click the link to find out?

but better that I know so I don't feel compelled to watch, and start one of my 2 papers instead

MetSox17
11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
it's better than opening your home page (yahoo) and the front story is the winner...like you can't at least say someone won and make us click the link to find out?

but better that I know so I don't feel compelled to watch, and start one of my 2 papers instead

Lol yeah, that sucks. I'm gonna DVR it cause i got a big exam coming up as well. :/

SuperKevin
11-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Unrelated but if anyone is near Bowling Green, KY my friend and I are starting to host weekly free poker tournaments at a variety of bars in the area

bsaza2358
11-11-2008, 01:12 PM
ESPN is stupid to tell anyone the winner. They got record ratings by not announcing the November 9. I am really pissed off about it.

MetSox17
11-11-2008, 01:49 PM
ESPN is stupid to tell anyone the winner. They got record ratings by not announcing the November 9. I am really pissed off about it.

Yeah, the whole point of doing the damn final table yesterday was to make a big show about it, and they scrolled it on their ticker? Idiots. I know its hard to keep something like that a secret, but geez, at least help yourself.

bored of education
11-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Im playing in next years. I already have 2 weeks off next year to play in some smaller tourney's and the main event!

themaninblack
11-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Why don't they just broadcast the final table live? I know it would take forever but if it goes past a certain time put it on ESPN2 and let's see who wins. It was really annoying when they announced the winner earlier today. I'll be watching it either way but still.

Primetime21
11-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Im playing in next years. I already have 2 weeks off next year to play in some smaller tourney's and the main event!

If you wait a couple of years I can be your Ben Affleck and we can go Rounders on the WSOP.

SuperKevin
11-11-2008, 06:35 PM
If you wait a couple of years I can be your Ben Affleck and we can go Rounders on the WSOP.

Ben Affleck wasn't in that movie

MetSox17
11-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Ben Affleck wasn't in that movie

LOL, yeah, you really can't confuse Matt Damon with Ben Affleck. Such a good movie.

bored of education
11-11-2008, 06:42 PM
lol moron!

Primetime21
11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Dam you Edward Norton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dam you to hell.

JETS5128
11-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Dam you Edward Norton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dam you to hell.

Blasphemy. Edward is god. Enjoy your stint in hell, sinner

MetSox17
12-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Does anyone play on pokerstars?

SuperKevin
12-06-2008, 01:50 PM

I used to. I can't play online anymore. It bugs me

djp
I play on Full Tilt.

Turtlepower

I used to. I know bantx does.

MetSox17
12-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm playing on Pokerstars right now on the free chips tables. Anyone care to join hit me up.

I'll hook you up with chips if needed.

Shane P. Hallam
12-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Please use:

SPOILER TAGS!

UK_Cheesehead
12-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I really don't get having the final table like 4 months after (yeah I'm a bit late haha), the actual WSOP has only just started being aired over here, which sucks. I love this tournament though, I lol'ed with how pissed Ivey was getting on like day one/two when he got busted by the full house and he had the nut flush.

djp
12-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I really don't get having the final table like 4 months after (yeah I'm a bit late haha), the actual WSOP has only just started being aired over here, which sucks. I love this tournament though, I lol'ed with how pissed Ivey was getting on like day one/two when he got busted by the full house and he had the nut flush.

"Why are you standing up?"

LOL

UK_Cheesehead
12-06-2008, 02:32 PM
"Why are you standing up?"

LOL

Yeah lmao, you could tell he was just raging inside. To be fair though the guy with the nuts played it to perfection.

Who's everyones favourite player then? I think Hellmuth is so funny at the table, also has the bracelets to back it up. I like Negreanu too, very classy player.

Many of you guys play online? I think I'm gonna start playing for real $ once I get my loan come through, can be some decent money to be made out of it.

djp
12-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah lmao, you could tell he was just raging inside. To be fair though the guy with the nuts played it to perfection.

Who's everyones favourite player then? I think Hellmuth is so funny at the table, also has the bracelets to back it up. I like Negreanu too, very classy player.

Many of you guys play online? I think I'm gonna start playing for real $ once I get my loan come through, can be some decent money to be made out of it.

I play online some, yeah.

and my favorite player is Allen Cunningham or John Juanda. Both absolutely brilliant players.

MetSox17
12-06-2008, 04:06 PM
I play online some, yeah.

and my favorite player is Allen Cunningham or John Juanda. Both absolutely brilliant players.

I agree on Cunningham. Definitely one of my top players to watch also. I think Phil Hellmuth is easily the best hold 'em player out there though. Ivey, Negraneu, Forrest, David Williams and Joe Hachem are others i like watching.

djp
12-06-2008, 05:20 PM
I agree on Cunningham. Definitely one of my top players to watch also. I think Phil Hellmuth is easily the best hold 'em player out there though. Ivey, Negraneu, Forrest, David Williams and Joe Hachem are others i like watching.

Hellmuth is a top tourney player. A really bad cash game player though. He's famous for being an ATM in the Big Game.

MetSox17
12-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Hellmuth is a top tourney player. A really bad cash game player though. He's famous for being an ATM in the Big Game.

From my experiences, it's a lot harder to win tournaments than to come out on top in cash games. Hellmuth tries to out play his opponents too much in small tables, and tries to set things up too many times, but there's no doubt in my mind that he's the best hold 'em player right now. The only one that can really come close to him is Phil Ivey.

And he has won poker after dark like what, 4 times already?

Bruce Banner
12-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Ivey is a beast but I don't think he likes big tourneys too much.

He is by far the best high stakes player supposedly.

ChezPower4
12-06-2008, 06:27 PM

He's now the best in the world IMO, now that Chip Resse passed away.

MetSox17
12-06-2008, 06:29 PM

He has five WSOP bracelets and 8 WPT final tables with 1 win, so he's not too shabby in tournaments. But there's no doubt that he makes his money playing high stakes.

In February 2006, he played heads-up Limit Texas Hold'em versus Texas billionaire Andy Beal. With stakes at $25,000/$50,000, Ivey won over $16,000,000 over the course of three days.

jayceheathman
12-06-2008, 06:34 PM
I like Negraneu and especially the time where he called the other guy having KK. The guy was like, "I could have aces," and Negraneu said, "No, I think you have Kings and will beat my highest pair on the board." He calls it to see if he was right and he was. The guy had KK.

Bruce Banner
12-06-2008, 06:35 PM
LOL

Andy Beal vs The Corporation

MetSox17
12-06-2008, 07:14 PM
LOL

Andy Beal vs The Corporation

Yeah, that was a hustle if i've ever seen one.

djp
12-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, that was a hustle if i've ever seen one.

Beal kicked the **** out of them the first time they played.

They had to get Ivey to win their money back.

MetSox17
12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Beal kicked the **** out of them the first time they played.

They had to get Ivey to win their money back.

Okay, so he still got hustled. He went up ten mil one day, then they saved Phil Ivey for last. Ended 6 up.

djp
12-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Cunningham and Hellmuth are on a cash game this week on Poker After Dark.

Cunningham already took 25k off Phil.