PDA

View Full Version : First-Round Offensive tackle Prospects

Turtlepower
07-21-2008, 04:20 PM
So, anyone else simply anxious for football season to start. Well, here are my top-5 OT prospects for 2009.

1. Eugene Monroe, Virginia
A blue-chip prospect out of high school, Monroe has the size and strength to be a dominant OT in the NFL. He was injured towards the end of last season when Brandon Albert stepped in for him at LT. Look for Monroe to have a stellar season and be one of the best testing OTs at the NFL combine.

2. Michael Oher, Ole Miss
It is crazy how some NFL draft prospects can have so much difference of opinions. As anyone who read Blindside knows, Michael Oher's story of how he came to Ole Miss is great, but the level of play he has continued at Ole Miss is also fantastic. He has been a bit inconsistent at times, but has shown enough flashes of dominance against SEC Defensive Ends to warrant him a high-draft pick come April 09. Look for his play to continue to improve as he practices with one of the nation's elite DEs in Greg Hardy.

3. Andre Smith, Alabama
Andre Smith might not be the best OT in this class, but that is more of a testament to the class rather than Andre Smith. A unanimous selection to 1st-Team All-SEC, Andre Smith needs to lose some weight, but is clearly strong enough for NFL competition. His football IQ is also something to be proud of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84-MwAbj7uw&feature=related

4. Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma
At the beginning of the season, it looked like a possibility that Loadholt was giving Jake Long a run for his money as the #1 OT in the 2008 draft. What happened? The Fiesta Bowl. Loadholt got man-handled by a WVU d-line allowing Sam Bradford to be under pressure constantly throughout the entire game. Loadholt demonstrated that even though he has impressive strength, his footwork and athleticism needs to be improved. If he has so much to improve on, why do I rank him so high? Because he is possibly the best RT prospect to come to the drafts in recent memory. His strength is unreal and he has shown dominance against many Big-12 teams. If a team plans to draft him as a LT, I can see a lot of pain in Loadholt's future. If he is drafted as a RT, I see a lot of money in his future.

Honorable Mention:
Ciron Black, Alex Boone, Andrew Gardner, Max Unger

eaglesfan_45
07-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Not all of them are 1st Round prospects but, this is a write up I did in the Eagles 2009 Draft thread.

Eugene Monroe is the prototype LT, he is 6'5" and 315 lbs. Many have him above Micheal Oher

2007: Honorable mention All-ACC selection … underrated performer who was overpowering during the season … started 11 games at left tackle, missing the Pittsburgh and Middle Tennessee games with a knee injury ... did not allow a sack during the regular season ... was the line's top grader on five occasions ... had 20 knockdown blocks during the regular season ... season-high six knockdown blocks vs. North Carolina and was named the ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week ... had four knockdowns vs. both Connecticut and Maryland.

Micheal Oher is compared to Orlando Pace as a prospect. Many think that he is the best OT prospect in years. 6'5" 318 lbs.

2007: Named Fourth Team All-America by Phil Steele … Consensus First Team All-SEC selection … Named Mid-Season All-America first team by The Sporting News and a fourth team by Phil Steele, who also listed him on his All-SEC first team … Started all 12 games at left tackle… Helped pave the way for Green-Ellis' 1,137 rushing yards, which ranks second on the school's single-season chart.

Andre Smith is being compared to Willie Roaf, he is a road grader at LT and many believe that he can play G if neccessary. I think he is similar to Shawn Andrews only as a LT in college instead of a RT. Not alot of people believe he will come out though. 6'5" 340 lbs.

2007: Was a co-winner of the SEC's Jacobs Blocking Trophy along with Arkansas' Jonathan Luigs ... 2007 Coaches First-Team All-SEC selection ... Started every game at the left tackle position, one of two players to start every game on the offensive line

Ciron Black is another "prototype" LT at 6'5" and 316 lbs. He is the 4th OT prospect and he is a top-20 prospect. This is a really good year for OTs. He was 2nd team all-SEC

RT

Phil Loadholt is a mauler at LT but he will be a RT. He is the tallest player in Oklahoma History. He has the build of Jon Runyan. The question is, will he be Jon Runyan or Geoerge Foster? 2nd round prospect

Alex Boone is a LT in college who I think will move to RT in the pros. He is another guy in the mold of Jon Runyan. He plays an important role in blocking for Beanie Wells. Second Team all big 10. 2nd Round Prospect

Sam Young plays both LT and RT for Notre Dame and while he is inconsistent, he has all the physical tools to succeed. He is also in the build of a Jon Runyan. He has started in 25 straight games. 2nd-3rd Round prospect.

Adam Ulatoski is a RT for the Texas Longhorns. He has injury issues, but he has all the physical tools to make it in the NFL. He is an imposing figure on the offensive line with his 6-8 frame, Can play guard if need be. An honorable mention for the All-Big XII Team. 2nd Round Prospect.

Duke Robinson has the size to play T at 6'5" and 338 lbs. He is a road-grader in the run game, the type of OG/OT that doesn't come around very often.

AFCA, AP, The Sporting News and Sports Illustrated first team All-American ... All-Big 12 first team by the coaches and Associated Press ... starter at left guard ... caught a deflected pass and advanced it eight yards vs. A&M ... started 13 games, only exception was Texas A&M game ... graded at 85% for the season with 663 plays and 97 knockdowns ... had a knockdown best of 13 against Miami.

Herman Johnson is another OG who can play RT. He is in the build of Jon Runyan at 6'7" 348 lbs. He is an imposing figure on the line.

Mammoth size with dominant strength ... Very long arms ... Great pancake block ability ... Solid athleticism to pull and trap ... Getting better at picking up blitzes ... Nice hand punch ... Mentally tough and doesn't wear down in the fourth quarter ... Extremely strong hands and can manhandle opponents ... Great in short-yardage and goal-line situations ... A lot of experience ... Could be worked out at right tackle ... Extremely high upside.

Kraig Urbik plays both RG and RT in college and is a big lineman at 6'6" and 328 lbs. Has started 39 straight games (first 13 at right tackle, next 23 at right guard and last three at right tackle). All second-team big 10

Turtlepower
07-21-2008, 04:40 PM
For the last goddamn time, that is not a write-up, but rather plagiarism. Attribute your sources or don't post what you steal.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-21-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm most certainly a Eugene Monroe fan.

As for Andre Smith, I love the way he plays, but I'm expecting him to move inside in the NFL.

Turtlepower
07-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm most certainly a Eugene Monroe fan.

As for Andre Smith, I love the way he plays, but I'm expecting him to move inside in the NFL.

I think he could stay outside if he can just lose some weight. Alabama has his listed weight at 340, so my guess is that it is closer to 350-360. If he can get his weight to around 325-330, without shedding much muscle, I still think he could play outside in the NFL.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-21-2008, 05:08 PM
I think he could stay outside if he can just lose some weight. Alabama has his listed weight at 340, so my guess is that it is closer to 350-360. If he can get his weight to around 325-330, without shedding much muscle, I still think he could play outside in the NFL.

I think it would be a losing battle for him. Andre Smith is a naturally big man, and I think he could be an absolutely dominant offensive guard, one worthy of going top 20. It's terribly difficult for a man that big to keep himself unnaturally light.

StrongSide97
07-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Personally, I think its up in the air right now. Oher to me is the best game performer, while Andre Smith has the most potential and Eugene Monroe is the most balanced between the three when it comes to potential, smarts and performance.

In the end, I think Andre Smith will be the first one chosen, then Monroe, then Oher.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-21-2008, 06:00 PM
I have Ciron Black as my #1 OT.
Still dont get why people like Loadholt so much.I guess its because of his size but I dont see him being all that great in the NFL.

Turtlepower
07-21-2008, 06:17 PM
I have Ciron Black as my #1 OT.
Still dont get why people like Loadholt so much.I guess its because of his size but I dont see him being all that great in the NFL.

As I stated above, Loadholt is a tremendous RT prospect, but his value can ve wasted if he is drafted as a LT.

eaglesalltheway
07-21-2008, 06:52 PM
I really can't pick right now, as I haven't seen enough of each of the prospects play. I have seen a few games of Eugene Monroe, Michael Oher, and Andre Smith. It is just a matter of what style you want in all honesty. Eugene Monroe and Michael Oher or more of the prototypical LTs, as they have the height and athletic ability to potentially dominate. While Andre Smith may be deemed too heavy, or need to lose some wieght, but he is tough and dominating in Run Blocking. He can be compared to Shawn Andrews, yes, but look where he is now, he is a RG, but the position he plays really depends on what team drafts him. Personnally for me, it is between Eugene Monroe and Michael Oher, I just can't decide right now. I really can't answer the question right now, but I am actually working on looking over OTs, more specifically LT prospects right now, as LT is arguably the Eagles biggest need heading into next year's draft. I like this thread TP, it will help me figure out more about each of these prospects.

TACKLE
07-21-2008, 07:08 PM

I agree with you there. RT or G is where he'll play at the next level. Andre really reminds me of Shawn Andrews. Big, strong, physical SEC OT's but don't have the athletism to play LT in the Pros.

Jonny
07-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Monroe is very underrated right now, he's my #1 player for 2009.

eaglesalltheway
07-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Just out of curiostiy, who elsi is at the top for you? Where is Oher, too?

SenorGato
07-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Monroe is very underrated right now, he's my #1 player for 2009.

Yea. He's pretty much the D'Brick of this draft class. He's the really polished, really physically gifted guy.

Does he hold weight better than D'Brick?

wicket
07-22-2008, 01:34 AM
I am a ND fan and i even think you've overrated sam young, the guy might have talent but he plays like a saladbowl.

keylime_5
07-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I vote Oher, but I think Boone is gonna get drafted before Monroe and maybe Loadholt.

Turtlepower
07-22-2008, 02:45 PM
I vote Oher, but I think Boone is gonna get drafted before Monroe and maybe Loadholt.

You know as well as I do that if you weren't an OSU fan, you wouldn't be saying that. I like Boone, but most teams might even be seeing him more as a RT than a LT in the pros.

thebow305
07-22-2008, 03:32 PM
I voted Oher, but I think Monroe and Smith are quickly closing the gap. I LOVE the Andre Smith-Shawn Andrews comparisons.

Don't sleep on Jason Fox though. He is a healthy but not as aggressive version of Eric Winston. He has the mobility, experience and size to be a first round sleeper. He will get chosen no later than the 3rd IMO. The only thing is, I don't know whether he will come out, as he seems to bleed orange and green. If he doesn't he will be one of the top prospects for the 2010 draft.

DeathbyStat
07-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Does every bloody player in the draft have "the build of Jon Runyan."

eaglesfan_45
07-22-2008, 04:42 PM
lol pretty much alot of players are really tall and big like John Runyan-

Phil Loadholt- 6-8 355
Alex Boone- 6-8 314
Sam Young- 6-7 313
Adam Ulatoski- 6-8 310
Herman Johnson 6-7 348

v.s.

Jon Runyan- 6-7 330 lbs.

Turtlepower
07-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Phil Loadholt- 6-8 355
Alex Boone- 6-8 314
Sam Young- 6-7 313
Adam Ulatoski- 6-8 310
Herman Johnson 6-7 348

v.s.

Jon Runyan- 6-7 330 lbs.

You realize when the combine comes around, most of those players should drop an inch or 2...

DeathbyStat
07-22-2008, 05:14 PM

Phil Loadholt- 6-8 355
Alex Boone- 6-8 314
Sam Young- 6-7 313
Adam Ulatoski- 6-8 310
Herman Johnson 6-7 348

v.s.

Jon Runyan- 6-7 330 lbs.

Touche!

I guess

Big_Pete
07-22-2008, 06:24 PM
I think Sam Young could develop into one of the top prospects.

He was good enough to start right off the bat as a freshman at RT
As a sophmore he moved to LT and started 10? games?

This guy obviously has alot of talent. He is also entering his junior year, where most college tackles are just getting the chance to start.

I could easlily see him as a 1st round LT prospect in the draft.

I am not sure he comes out after his junior year though unless he has an amazing year.

draftguru151
07-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Just because you start doesn't mean you're good. Young as been mediocre at best. He's moving back to RT this year, I think that's more telling than him starting his first 2 years.

eaglesalltheway
07-22-2008, 07:20 PM
That is true guru, but he does have a lot of talent, he just hasn't been able to put everything together. Right now he is not a first round OT IMO, but if he figures things out, and stays at ND, he could be a first round OT next year.

keylime_5
07-22-2008, 08:10 PM
You know as well as I do that if you weren't an OSU fan, you wouldn't be saying that. I like Boone, but most teams might even be seeing him more as a RT than a LT in the pros.

Not true. My offensive line board is 1-Oher, 2-Smith, 3-Robinson, 4-Loadholt, 5-Boone, 6-Monroe. However I think that Boone will be the third tackle drafted behind Oher and Smith. The pros like his feet and ability, he just needs to put it all together. I pointed that out because he was not on the poll but Monroe and Loadholt were and he has just as good a chance as those two to skyrocket with a good senior year. And the poll is best OT, not best LT.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Herman Johnson 6-7 348

If Herman Johnson is under 360 lbs. I will eat my shirt.

eaglesalltheway
07-23-2008, 06:32 AM
If Herman Johnson is under 360 lbs. I will eat my shirt.

Come on man, up the anty (is that how its spelled?) a little bit.

TACKLE
07-23-2008, 12:50 PM
This is how I see it right now.

1st Tier: Michael Oher, Eugene Monroe

2nd Tier: Ciron Black, Andre Smith

3rd Tier: Jamon Meredith, Phil Loadholt, Eben Britton, Alex Boone
4th Tier: Xavier Fulton, Jason Smith, Andrew Gardner

eaglesfan_45
07-23-2008, 01:11 PM
The 1st and 2nd tiers should be merged, Andre Smith is a top-10 prospect. Ciron Black is a top 25 prospect.

Brent
07-23-2008, 02:52 PM
I like Phil Loadholt just because he is just downright giant. I think he's bigger than Leonard Davis.

TACKLE
07-23-2008, 03:10 PM
The 1st and 2nd tiers should be merged, Andre Smith is a top-10 prospect. Ciron Black is a top 25 prospect.

I like Andre Smith put he is not a Top 10 prospect because he will not play LT at the next level. He's not athletic to handle the speed rushers in the NFL but I think he can be a very good RT and a dominant Guard. But you don't take RT's in the Top 10.

eaglesalltheway
07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Yopu are right tackle, and I agree with your tiers right now actually. At least the first two. I don't know much about many of the guys in your third and fourth tiers.

keylime_5
07-23-2008, 05:53 PM
I like Andre Smith put he is not a Top 10 prospect because he will not play LT at the next level. He's not athletic to handle the speed rushers in the NFL but I think he can be a very good RT and a dominant Guard. But you don't take RT's in the Top 10.

Jake Long was #1 this year! He should be a right tackle just as much as Smith and Boone IMO.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-24-2008, 04:09 PM

I think Andre Smith is plenty athletic for his size (not many offensive linemen run screen plays on their offense), but with the amount of weight he carries in his lower body, you have to imagine that his lateral speed will be hurt. That said, he has long arms. If he puts together a great season at left tackle for the Tide and comes into the offseason at a respectable weight, he will get serious consideration.

I just think that with his body type he could make a guard worthy of a top 15 or 20 selection.

eaglesfan_45
07-24-2008, 04:11 PM
he reminds me of Willie Roaf, but like you said he could be a G, he is also compared to Shawn Andrews. He is really versatile.

Unbiased
08-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Monroe is a nice late 1st round prospect, but he isn't top 10 worthy.

StrongSide97
08-07-2008, 06:41 PM
As big as Andre Smith is, he is one of the more athletic players in this years class(for his size of course). It's not like the guy sits on the couch everyday with 5 big macs in front of him. Andre Smith's athleticism is somewhat underrated, and he'll prove that during the workout season if he were to declare. He is a coaches player, meaning that he does whatever the coach asks him. I've heard that he's weighed in sometimes at like 360. The latest weigh-in I saw of his was like 335, so if he has any dreams of playing LT at the next level, then he should at least get down to 325, which is definitely possible.

I doubt he declares because I think there will be more depth at the LT spot by the time January or February. If he's smart, he'll stay for one more season and wait to be taken as the first tackle two years from now.

etk
08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Phil Loadholt. Loadholt looks like the next Bryant McKinnie to me....which is good but not great. Either way, he's the best this year so far, but not even close to Thomas or Long imo.

Still no mention of Jason Fox in this thread. So overlooked it's unbelievable.

eaglesfan_45
08-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Phil Loadholt. Loadholt looks like the next Bryant McKinnie to me....which is good but not great. Either way, he's the best this year so far, but not even close to Thomas or Long imo.

Still no mention of Jason Fox in this thread. So overlooked it's unbelievable.

lol someones a bit ill informed

Loadholt the top OT in the Draft? ROFL (not really)
I'll give you a list of 5 OT prospects that are better off the top of my head-

Micheal Oher
Andre Smith
Eugene Monroe
Ciron Black
Alex Boone

McKinnie's forte is pass-blocking, Loadholt is a run blocking monster in college. Loadholt will play RT in the NFL and his footwork isn't good, he is George Foster 2.0.

toonsterwu
08-08-2008, 03:31 AM
As a UVA fan, I'm mildly surprised at all the love people are giving Eugene Monroe right now. He's a great talent, no doubt about it, but he still hasn't put it together for a full season yet, although he flashed it last year. While I haven't really looked at anything in what seems like ages, I'd put him as a mid-late first guy for now. Now, if Monroe puts in a dominant season and stays healthy, yes, I could see him as a top 10 pick, if not top 3. In saying all this, after last year, I wonder if I'm being over-critical of UVA prospects (as I was surprised by Albert's rise late, along with Chris Long eventually going as high as he did). I will say, when he played, Monroe was arguably equal to Albert, and Monroe has experience at LT already, so maybe I should view it from that vein.

Right now, at this point in time, I would go with Oher first. But a long time to go and a lot that could happen.

Iamcanadian
08-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Andre Smith won the best OLmen in the SEC award last year over Oher and Ciron Black who are both going to be 1st round draft picks. He is the second coming of Orlando Pace and can certainly play LT in the pros. yes, he needs to control his weight but he is a totally dominating player. Oher has great feet and will certainly play LT at the next level but he's not quite as dominating as Smith.
Black if he stays in school would be the #1 OT in the following year's draft but if he declares, he be the #3 OT. All are quite capable of playing LT in the NFL.
Alex Boone comes in at #4, another solid LT prospect who can get even bigger than he already is. Great pass blocker and can be the lead blocker on runs around the corner. He be a stud for 10 years in the NFL.
Ryan Stanchek of West Virginia is often overlooked but is a fine LT prospect himself, If you watch West Virginia games, this guy opens huge holes for White and theiur RB's. Very interesting prospect for a zone blocking scheme.
Eugene Monroe is still a bit raw but could sneak into the 1st round.

Borderline 1st rounders but more likely 2nd rounders are Gardner of Georgia Tech, Loadholt of Oklahoma and Dallas Reynolds of BYU.

Mr. Stiller
08-09-2008, 04:29 AM
Michael Oher has my pick this year.

Smith got the votes for SEC last year..

But I think with the new Coaching staff that Oher is going to run away with it.

I'd then put Eugene Monroe. I see him having a similar climb to brandon albert except he's played LT more than 2 games.

Then Andre Smith. This may be low for him, but I want to see his jr. season before I put him any higher.

Andrew Gardner is my next guy. He's underrated and could be the Chris Williams of this season.. without the back problems.

TACKLE
08-09-2008, 03:13 PM
McKinnie's forte is pass-blocking, Loadholt is a run blocking monster in college. Loadholt will play RT in the NFL and his footwork isn't good, he is George Foster 2.0.

McKinnie's forte is pass-blocking? Since when. I've watched McKinnie play several and his pass-blocking is his weakness. Some people have this idea that McKinnie is an excellent pass blocker b/c he didn't let up any sacks in college but in the NFL, pass blocking is not his strength. I've seen him get dominated by Aaron Kampman in the pass rush. I agree with etk that Loadholt and McKinnie is a good comparison but McKinnie was a better prospect.

etk
08-09-2008, 09:20 PM
lol someones a bit ill informed

Loadholt the top OT in the Draft? ROFL (not really)
I'll give you a list of 5 OT prospects that are better off the top of my head-

Micheal Oher
Andre Smith
Eugene Monroe
Ciron Black
Alex Boone

lulz rotflmao lollercoaster roflcopter

ur wrong

cuz i saiz so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11one /patronize

Everyone has their own opinion, and stating yours as fact is a bit ill informed, don't ya think?

The McKinnie thing is a misconception....I've seen him at Miami and Minnesota and he gets beat way too often to be considered a pass blocking specialist, but I think AD & Chester Taylor can vouch for me when I say he's a terrific run blocker.

Either way, Loadholt is more athletic than McKinnie or the guys you mentioned, and he's only played 1 freaking year of D1 football to date. The guy is loaded with potential that only Michael Oher can similarly boast, and I think he's been pretty impressive for a guy with his experience at LT. I assume that he will improve more than any lineman this year and prove himself to be one of the top prospects in the draft. Time will tell.

urinemonkey
08-09-2008, 09:21 PM
looks like the Monroe hype has finally taken off. I was singing his praises last year.

MidwayMonster31
08-10-2008, 09:45 PM
I think a lot of the Monroe hype stems from the hype that Branden Albert got. Albert went in the top-20 to play left tackle, and Monroe beat Albert out for left tackle at Virginia. Put 2 and 2 together, and Monroe has to be a damn good prospect.
Michael Oher has all of the physical tools. He also has polished technique. Just as long as he doesn't end up in a bad situation like Robert Gallery, he should be a star.
Andre Smith is one of the more accomplished college players out there and he's only a junior. If he shows better quickness this year, he could play well on either side. Smith and Oher could be premier prospects.

Turtlepower
08-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Eugene Monroe is not a sleeper prospect if that is what any of you are implying. He was the #1 OT in his recruiting class, so any sense of him being overlooked is preposterous.