PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on an Article

Philliez01
07-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey guys,

I wrote this article on my blog, I thought it would be better to post the article in its entirety rather than submit the link. Just would like your opinions on it or if it seems too corny or something.

Cheers.

As I mentioned in my article "The Moods of a Sports Fan" there is a certain type of fan described as the "Debbie Downer". To sum it up, regardless of what happens something bad will follow. But negative thinking is a common theme in sports.

We hear about it constantly on the sports news regarding character, fines or attitudes. Some of just like to think negative. We are forced fed the worst news possible on almost a daily basis. However, while we can admit that we can't control these people but we still throw our usual "if I had this much money...." argument; it eventually blows over. But we are a society fascinated with negativity.

The most "tainted" record in sports may not be the HR records, it could very well be the 100m dash. Justin Gatlin and Tim Montgomery were former record holders but due to the claims of steroid violations; the record seems hallow. Even the non-track fan has probably heard of Tyson ***, Usain Bolt and/or Asafa Powell. But if say, Walter Dix of Florida State, breaks that record; the cloud will start again. Unless it's a name we know and "trust", no record is safe. No Tour de France victory is legitimate. If something turns up in hockey or a more prominent name comes up in the NFL (for example, a defensive end's sack total in a season), the cloud will surface over there.

Steroids are to sports fans as divorces are to TMZ. We know of a positive test before it may even occur and love to implicate those who turn up positive in the B sample. The term cheater is a loose term and isn't awesome to be able to put that tag on an individual. Even if it is just Neifi Perez. We now know that we were in the midst of a cheater. Doesn't matter if all we did was once read his name in a box score, suddenly everything that player does was irrelevant.

That leads to the thoughts portion of negativity. To bring this to a personal level, when something bad happens on the bottom line; here's what I see.

Real Ticker:Colts QB Peyton Manning (knee surgery) out for 4-6 weeks according to ESPN's John Clayton.

My Ticker:Peyton Manning out for 6 weeks.

Then you panic. I completely just ignore the fact that, if the report from the Indianapolis Colts brass correct, it was a bursa sac issue in which it almost became infected. But I could careless, knee surgery is not to be taking lightly and then the season is over in July.

I hope I'm not crazy, but others have to think that when you see something involving your team and your fantasy team. We love to think negative because thanks to the media, our minds have gotten used to the notion that we are all going to die thanks to A-Rod and Kabballah. Or that Brett Favre died on March 6th and recently came back to life.

The best correlation I can think of is, would be the workplace or school. I regret not being the most academic student, I would rather focus on track and making people laugh in class then to do the work. Occasionally every blind squirrel finds the nut but I'm the squirrel that also lost the sense of touch when it came to chemistry. However, I focused on making people laugh rather than to ask questions to get smarter. It's better that people thought that I could be smart if I paid attention rather than not getting anything right at first and delaying time asking questions. That's not how it is, yet my mind is/was warped on that idea.

But, I'd take that C-/D+ and say to myself: man, today was an OK day. However, if I hear about a surgery to a person I don't know (well personally) and that I don't know all the facts about; I think to myself the world is ending. Until 2009 at least. In the workplace, if an important client is coming in you try to make things as good as possible. But if you screw up, if you keep your job that is, you just beat yourself up for a day or two then you're fine again. Deadlines are important but if you turn in something that sucks but is still praised; then you don't care. It's over, now onto the next chapter.

That's another reason why I love sports. Jobs come and go. Grades eventually don't matter. As long as you passed and got your diploma and degree, right? Unless your a teacher of course, then you probably should remember why you were there.

However, being a sports fan is life. It's not something that you can squeeze your way out of. Bandwagoners aren't taking seriously by the sports world, the real sports world that is and you never want to be associated with that. Even if that means years of futility, near-misses or organizational blunders (I'm looking at you Sweet Pea Burns, Andy Ashby, Bud Smith, Adam Eaton, So Taguchi, Timothy Moss, Rob Morris at Middle Linebacker, Paul Abbott, Pavel Brendl and the list continues) you still bleed your team colors.

Let's face it. Life comes first as well as the health and happiness of your family BUT your happiness is right next to the box score.

Caddy
07-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Grammar is poor in some places. The paragraphs are stilted and for me, don't flow all too well. Some word selections are just terrible ie "thoughts portion". I assume you are thinking of becoming a writer which is great, but I'd think about scrapping the 1st person angle as opinion pieces aren't somewhere you really want to start. Then again, it's a blog so go for your life.

Philliez01
07-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Haha, yeah I wrote it on the generic Notepad document because for some reason I'm unable to "activate" programs like Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and the other Microsoft Office utilities.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.