PDA

View Full Version : College Safety -> NFL LB?

Big_Pete
07-22-2008, 06:51 PM
One think that has been really obvious with is the potentially large number of bigger safeties in this upcoming draft class.

The NFL has moved towards faster, ball hawk safeties. Plus the safety class is very deep (particularly if the juniors declare) with good talent, whilst the OLB class is not overly strong, particularly with speed and athleticsim (other then moving an ILB or DE to OLB); it could be a good move for some safeties to consider moving to LB.

Which college safeties could/should consider moving to OLB in the pros?

perhaps:

Seniors

William Moore, Missouri, 6-1, 224, 4.49
Nic Harris, Oklahoma, 6-3 226 4.60
Pat Chung, Oregon, 5-11, 212, 4.54
Kevin Ellison, USC, 6-1, 225, 4.64
Chip Vaughn, Wake Forest, 6-2, 220, 4.53

Juniors

Taylor Mays, USC, 6-3, 225, 4.52
Kam Chancellor, Virginia Tech, 6-3, 224, 4.55
Myron Rolle, Miami, 6-2, 218, 4.52
Emanuel Cook, South Carolina, 5-10, 214, 4.52
Tervaris Johnson, Miami, 6-2, 228, 4.56

Bear in mind that many 220 lbs college LBs often get up to around 235 lbs with their combine preparations whilst retaining (and improving) their speed an athleticsim.

eaglesfan_45
07-22-2008, 06:54 PM
William Moore is the Best Safety in the draft see my sig he is a S not a LB

The Only Safties who might move to LB are Taylor Mays and Myron Rolle. They would only be LBers on a cover 2 team.

Big_Pete
07-22-2008, 06:59 PM
I agree Moore will likely end up a safety; he was included due to size

What about Kevin Ellison; he is a productive SS, but does he has the speed to play SS in the pros?

Nic Harris is a guy who I think for whom it might be worth considering moving to LB. He doesn't quite have elite speed and is arguably on the cusp of the 1st round at the moment. But if Mays and Rolle declare (as expected), he will slip and with the depth of safeety talent in this draft it could be a big drop.

Chip Vaughn another one who might be a better NFL LB prospect than Safety prospect

draftguru151
07-22-2008, 07:14 PM
The only one I consider an OLB prospect right now is Rolle.

Also last I heard/read Johnson was playing CB (and I think I read something about him moving to TE/H-B, not sure about that though).

eaglesalltheway
07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Moore is a safety, that is a given, but I can see that if you put him in there based on size. Rolle is one of the only Safeties I think a cover two team would look at as a OLB right now, but I really need to do more research.

M.O.T.H.
07-22-2008, 07:30 PM
E Cook certainly has the potential to put on loads of weight. This was actually discussed before at SC....but, I dont think a position change will be coming at the next level. He was a Bob Sanders clone last year and he possesses great ball skills...so, a change of position isnt really needed.

lordquas
07-22-2008, 07:44 PM
the only ones that'll switch to linebackers are the ones with slow 40 times.

Nic Harris and Kevin Ellison possibly

Big_Pete
07-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Don't forget that if they remain at safety there are other guys they will be competing with on draft day including

Courtney Greene, Rutgers, 6-1, 212, 4.52
Michael Hamlin, Clemson, 6-3 206 4.56
Derek Pegues, Mississippi St, 5-10, 196, 4.49
CJ Spillman, Marshall, 6-0, 195, 4.49
Curtis Taylor, LSU, 6-2, 212, 4.52

plus whatever CB that teams want to move to safety, which is quite the trend in the NFL these days with the move towards safeties with exceptional ball skills and speed/athleticism.

Brent
07-22-2008, 08:33 PM
The only one I consider an OLB prospect right now is Rolle.
I thought he was a poor tackler?

Paranoidmoonduck
07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Maybe Nic Harris. Maybe. He's the only guy who might be slow enough to not work out at safety in some defenses and has the frame and physicality to be a linebacker. Everyone else stays in the secondary.

thebow305
07-22-2008, 09:29 PM

No. He's just slow, and bad in coverage.

yourfavestoner
07-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Rolle will definitely have to be a OLB in a Cover 2 scheme. He can barely play safety in college. In the NFL? Fugetaboutit.

BamaFalcon59
07-22-2008, 10:30 PM
I have said Rolle will be an outside linebacker for a while now. Thomas Davis redeux.

eaglesfan_45
07-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I have said Rolle will be an outside linebacker for a while now. Thomas Davis redeux.

Thomas Davis is pretty good though :/

themaninblack
07-22-2008, 10:53 PM
I could see Kam Chancellor or Taylor Mays maybe having to make the move if they don't run as expected. Mays is probably the more likely of the two because I don't believe his numbers at all until I see him at the combine.

Cigaro
07-22-2008, 11:03 PM
E Cook certainly has the potential to put on loads of weight. This was actually discussed before at SC....but, I dont think a position change will be coming at the next level. He was a Bob Sanders clone last year and he possesses great ball skills...so, a change of position isnt really needed.

Yeah Cook could put on some weight and play linebacker, but he's a perfect fit at strong safety, with the ability to defend the pass as well as knock people out.

eaglesalltheway
07-23-2008, 06:30 AM
I could see Kam Chancellor or Taylor Mays maybe having to make the move if they don't run as expected. Mays is probably the more likely of the two because I don't believe his numbers at all until I see him at the combine.

This is jsut a hypothetical, so nobody jump on my balls with this. (you wouldn't want to anyway, haha) Could you imagine if his numbers are correct and he does make the move to LB after putting on a little weight. A LB with sub-4.4 speed is almost impossible to come by. That being said, I doubt he switches to LB, is athletic ability is too great. The problem is though, that it hasn't translated into much production to speak of as of yet.

eaglesfan_45
07-23-2008, 01:12 PM
^^^

Idd?

Jk

brat316
07-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Kevin Ellison probably will be moved don't want to see it, but will be. I don't think he is going to turn out to be that great of a lb, he's going to end up like that other USC safety, Bing, I think. But Ellison is a lot more athletic.

On the other hand if he puts up some great numbers in the combine and has a good year he may stay at safety. He has on field speed, where he can close in on the ball in a hurry.

Mays who knows about him some people have him running 4.3 other 4.5. He may turn out to be a workout warrior and end up being drafted in the first round as a safety.

Zyro_1014
07-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Mays who knows about him some people have him running 4.3 other 4.5. He may turn out to be a workout warrior and end up being drafted in the first round as a safety.

I see Mays as being THE workout warrior of the draft. Hes to fast and way too good of an athlete to make him move positions. He'll be a top notch safety in the NFL for a while.

YAYareaRB
07-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Taylor Mays is way too athletic to play linebacker. I'd put Kam Chancellor or Rolle there. Although Rolle sucks at being a safety, he sure can make a hit

Brent
07-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Taylor Mays is way too athletic to play safety
I think he will be an amazing NFL safety

BamaFalcon59
07-23-2008, 02:56 PM

Chancellor is a safety.

YAYareaRB
07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
I think he will be an amazing NFL safety

I'm a shithead.. I meant too athletic to play Linebacker

Staubach12
07-23-2008, 07:25 PM
The only one I could see making a move to LBer at the next level is Taylor Mays, and I don't see that happening because of his potential at safety.

BuddyCHRIST
07-25-2008, 10:56 AM

He's actually a very sure tackler, he's just a not a huge hitter like alot of big safeties are. He would look much better at OLB as he's not very fast and takes bad angles in coverage. Im suprised we haven't played him more in the box personally.

Brent
07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
he's not very fast and takes bad angles in coverage.
so, he's Roy Williams? ;)