PDA

View Full Version : Florida State in 2007

omecool20
03-01-2007, 02:37 AM
What do you guys think of FSU's chances for this year ? With Jeffy way out of the picture, could this be a good year for FSU ? The team has many young returnees who played extensively last season.

Yet, most preseason lists I am reading are giving them only 3rd place in their own division in the ACC.

princefielder28
03-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Right now Florida State is not a national title contender with all the losses n the defensive side of the ball over the past few years but their offense is starting to develop and will likely lead the team this year. I think Florida State would be fortunate to get to a New Year's Day bowl

BigDawg819
03-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Don't sleep in the Seminoles now.......

Jeff Bowden was definitely a albatross to that program and he is directly responsible for ruining Lorenzo Booker's college career along with others. The Noles were forced to play alot of freshman last year and they should be improved from that experience. Bottomline is that its going to come down to the offensive game plan and the play of Drew Weatherford. Is he gonna lead this team ala a Charlie Ward or Chris Wienke or just show flashes ala a Chris Rix. While I'm extremely optimistic about this upcoming season, realistically I'm thinking its going to take a few years before the luster returns to the Noles.

Salami
03-01-2007, 09:57 AM
When is FSU going to figure out how to run the ball?

Vikes99ej
03-01-2007, 11:33 AM
They'll probably still have a good defense. Myron Rolle and Andre Fluellen are two players to look out for. They always have talented players on that side of the ball.

BigDawg819
03-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Myron Rolle had a fantastic season and I looked forward to watch him again this season!

yourfavestoner
03-01-2007, 11:59 AM
It doesn't matter if they have Jeff Bowden or Bill Walsh calling plays. Their offensive line is terrible, and that's being kind.

Acreboy
03-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Following LSU Fisher runs a complex system and they will need time to adjust to it.

Oh what the hell, they gonna throw the ball a hell of a lot.

BuddyCHRIST
03-01-2007, 01:08 PM
part of the reason they didn't run the ball is because they couldn't, FSU has had terrible O-Line coaching. FSU O-lineman are known for getting alot better once they reach the pro's because of poor O-line coaches. But now FSU has Trickett, whose running system as WVU has churned out backs like the Denver broncos.

etk
03-01-2007, 05:52 PM
I think they have a chance to get negative total yardage multiple times this season. Wait, Weatherford is still their QB, right? :D

SeanTaylorRIP
03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Marvin Austin is gonna beast it up down there, oh wait..........

volman88
03-01-2007, 06:55 PM
I think that weatherford is awful.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
03-01-2007, 07:16 PM
I think that weatherford is awful.

QFT

weathersuck is the worst starting QB in the ACC, possibly a candidate for d1. His arm strength is 20 yards, and his accuracy is terrible past 5 yards. If we have weathersuck starting again, we can call the '07 campaign a failure.

Ok, I had to get that outta my system. Anyways, I am really excited for the '07 season(unless stated above happens). We get Jimbo Fisher(yes), Lawrence Dawsey(yes), and Trickett(yes). Finally got rid of Jeff Bowden!!! I could not be happier than that faithful day Jeff got canned. He was the worst coach in d1 ball, and maybe even all of College football. He wasted immense talent in Chris Rix, Craphonso Thorpe, Leon Washington, Lorenzo Booker, Adrian McPherson, Chauncey Stovall, P.K. Sam, etc. FSU now has a chance for a 10 win season(unless weathersuck...) and the ACC crown. They are again thrown into the "Elite" of the ACC category.

The defense is as good as ever, and only having lost 2 major contributors in Buster Davis and Lawrence Timmons. We still have Marcus Ball, Derek Nicholson, Geno Hayes, Kendall Smith at LB, so that position is good. Our Corners will be one of the best units in the ACC. Tony Carter was a superstar last year for us. The other guys like Robinson will grow, and we also add Dionte Allen, one of the best corners in his class. With Myron Rolle as S, our DB's are set. Our DL has a little bit of concern, but I think they will do well, although they are young.

The Offense is the one with many questions to be answered though. Our QB situation is one to be watched. Xavier Lee was a 5* recruit, #1 rated Dual Threat QB by Rivals. He wasn't given a fair shake for the job his Freshman and Sophomore years with Bobby Bowden all over drew weathercunt's nuts. That will change this year though, as Jimbo Fisher has control of who the starting QB is, and everyone is given a fair shake. Fisher also had this type of controversy at LSU, although Matt Flynn is much better than weathersuck. Jimbo decided with the mobile, strong armed QB, instead of the weaker armed, more accurate Matt Flynn while at LSU, and signs are indicating to be the same at FSU. drew was assigned the starting job after the UCLA win, but now Jimbo has said everyone is on level ground, which obviously favors Xavier. We have excellent talent at RB. Even with the loss of Lorenzo Booker, we have speedster Antone Smith, #1 RB in '05. We also have 4* recruits Jamaal Edwards, and bruiser Marcus Sims in the backfield. We are set at that position. One of the major concerns on offense is the WR's. They have been super inconsistent, and no one from that group has stood out. Greg Carr will probably be the #1, coming off a 12(?) TD year. He isn't an ideal #1, as he doesn't have the speed, or the strength to be a speed/possession reciever. He easily gets out muscled by DB's, and doesn't give his full effort. rFreshman Damien McDaniel, and Preston Parker were highly touted, although we have no clue on how they will perform. We lose Brandon Warren to home sickness..., and he was a very valuable TE to the offense. We lose burner WR Markish Jones to Clemson because he signed the Clemson LOI before he signed FSU's. He didn't fax the Clemson LOI because he had a "Change of Heart", and decided to fax FSU's. The NCAA denied his bid to go to FSU, as he was bond by the first LOI he signed. Another major concern is the OL. We have a lot of talent there, but they're very young. Highly touted rFreshman Darron Rose will be one of the major contributors this season, as will Freshman Antwanne Greenlee. With coach Rick Trickett coming in, and always establishing great OL's, I have faith that he will turn FSU's OL from a disaster, into a solid group, eventually turning them into one of the Elite.

FSU's season will be one of great mystery, and excitement next year.

omecool20
03-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Jeff, I hear ya ;-) I always thought that FSU was the school that had the best multiple threat QB who never played in the NFL , Charlie Ward. I am thankful to read in seminoles.com that jimbo is giving drew n xavier a fair shake in determining the starting qb.

Charlie Ward, what might have been ....

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
03-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Jeff, I hear ya ;-) I always thought that FSU was the school that had the best multiple threat QB who never played in the NFL , Charlie Ward. I am thankful to read in seminoles.com that jimbo is giving drew n xavier a fair shake in determining the starting qb.

Charlie Ward, what might have been ....

Yea. He could've been a star in the NFL despite his height. He would've been a much more refined version of Michael Vick(less speed, much more passing precision). Although he made more cash with his signing with the Knicks, he probably woulda made more money if he played in the NFL. Everyone knew he was good, the only thing holding him back was height, and a shotgun offense. He amounted to pretty much trash in the NBA.

BuckNaked
03-01-2007, 09:31 PM
He played for a while, he earned his millions, i'd say he's satisfied.

omecool20
03-01-2007, 10:16 PM
I would not say that he had a trashy career. It was an okay career with the NBA, but he could have done better in the NFL. Oh well, he did get his money.

I remembered that the main reason he entered the NBA because he wanted to be a QB in the NFL, but didn't get that feedback from the teams during that time ;-)

Okay, enough with him :-) On with the future... I have not seen LSU much, so what kind of offense that was played under Jimbo ? With Chuck back as LB coach, how would the D play ?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
03-02-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't really like Chuck Amato. His defense's never seemed to play with taht elite passion you get from coaches like Mikey Andrews. He's a defensive guru with the front 7 though. Turned Mario Williams into a no-name player into #1 overall pick. Also produced Tank Tyler, Manny Lawson, and many more. Chuck is like the defensive/college version of Norv Turner. Excellent teacher, motivation is terrible, and that results to terrible head coach. Terrific coordinator, but terrible HC. Expect a lot of FSU first rounders from the DL, and LB in the years he's here.

edge_V
03-02-2007, 08:42 PM
isn't geno hayes a beast? I thought he was better than timmons.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
03-03-2007, 03:08 PM
isn't geno hayes a beast? I thought he was better than timmons.

Yes sir, yes he is. He's faster, more instinctive, and a better tackler. Geno Hayes will be teh first LB selected in the year he comes out.

jagsfreak27
03-03-2007, 03:11 PM
4th best team in florida

fenikz
03-03-2007, 03:14 PM
i got em 6th in the acc

Miami
Virgina Tech
Boston College
Wake Forest
Maryland
Flordia St

BuddyCHRIST
03-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I don't really like Chuck Amato. His defense's never seemed to play with taht elite passion you get from coaches like Mikey Andrews. He's a defensive guru with the front 7 though. Turned Mario Williams into a no-name player into #1 overall pick. Also produced Tank Tyler, Manny Lawson, and many more. Chuck is like the defensive/college version of Norv Turner. Excellent teacher, motivation is terrible, and that results to terrible head coach. Terrific coordinator, but terrible HC. Expect a lot of FSU first rounders from the DL, and LB in the years he's here.

ehhhhh, Mario Williams was a pretty good recruit, if anything turned him into the number 1 pick it was NC State's weight room and conditioning coaches. But then again, you knock his players for not playing with the same passion as Mickey Andrews players, but under FSU's defense is always commiting stupid penalties that hurt them, or give up big plays because they play too passionately and over pursue. Amato needs to be there to balance it out. Anyways, Chuck wasn't a terrible head coach at all. NC State was damn good with Rivers and whooped our ass a couple times. They couldn't find anyone to play consistent at QB after Rivers and that was his downfall.