PDA

View Full Version : We've signed Chris Williams!!

BeerBaron
07-23-2008, 02:06 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/23/bears-sign-chris-williams/

So says Adam Schefter.....

I'm happy. He should have every chance to be our opening day LT I would think. I hope he shows off some of that Vandy intelligence.

bearsfan_51
07-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Good news. In more good news, Mark Bradley is healthy enough to start training camp.

He'll likely get hurt the first day of practice, but it's a start.

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2008, 02:15 PM
lets go Bears!

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!!!

princefielder28
07-23-2008, 02:33 PM
lets go Bears!

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!!!

Not time to get crazy :)

But the Bears made two very good selections on day one and getting chris williams gives them a big piece to their OL for the present and future....this team could easily win the division if they had a capable QB and above average wideout

BeerBaron
07-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Not time to get crazy :)

But the Bears made two very good selections on day one and getting chris williams gives them a big piece to their OL for the present and future....this team could easily win the division if they had a capable QB and above average wideout

Well, I know I keep beating this dead horse but, Kyle Orton.

The guy wins two out of every three starts and I feel as though he will be the starting QB headed into the season. We've got two very good TE's to help with the receiving problem a bit and with a good pass blocker like Williams at LT and Tait in his natural spot at RT, I don't expect them to be a terrible team.

I have it in my head that they're going to at least match their record of last year....if not bump up to 8-8. If the Packers should take a larger than expected step back under Rodgers and not having a QB kills the Vikings, theres about a 1% chance the Bears could rise up in that situation....

I'll be happy with .500 looking at what we've got right now though

sweetness34
07-23-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm really not worried about our WR's to be honest. I'm more worried about our line and RB play, which I guess would correlate to our QB play as well but Olsen, Clark, Booker, Hester, Lloyd (he will be on the team IMO), Davis, Bennett, etc is a decent WR core. And reports have been that Hester is picking things up extremely quick and has looked very strong.

Our offense though hinges on our line play. Our QB won't matter if our OL can't pass or run block, much like last year. Given time to throw Rex can be effective, and if we can get our running game going I think we could have a good season.

A lot of if's but I'm an optimistic typa guy. ;)

SFbear
07-23-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm really not worried about our WR's to be honest. I'm more worried about our line and RB play, which I guess would correlate to our QB play as well but Olsen, Clark, Booker, Hester, Lloyd (he will be on the team IMO), Davis, Bennett, etc is a decent WR core. And reports have been that Hester is picking things up extremely quick and has looked very strong.

Our offense though hinges on our line play. Our QB won't matter if our OL can't pass or run block, much like last year. Given time to throw Rex can be effective, and if we can get our running game going I think we could have a good season.

A lot of if's but I'm an optimistic typa guy. ;)

Don't worry about the offensive line. Terrence Metcalf will save us.

BeerBaron
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't exactly call our receivers "decent" though, lol. That entails above averageness.....

I'd call them......passable? Not too terrible? I think we'll be throwing to our TE's a lot though....

I also think if our defense is healthy and stays healthy, we only need a "not too terrible" offense to reach my estimates of 7-9, 8-8......

Splat
07-23-2008, 03:29 PM
This should help the Chiefs get a deal done with LT BA the 15th pick.:)

BeerBaron
07-23-2008, 03:46 PM
This should help the Chiefs get a deal done with LT BA the 15th pick.:)

you know what I was thinking about with him? (i know this isn't the Chiefs forum but he brought it up...)

Is if they gave him one deal for being a LT that reduces a little bit if he ends up having to move back into a G spot.

The Giants did a similar thing with......ah......Diehl? I think it was Diehl......He gets so much if he stays at LT but it reduces if he gets kicked back inside for any reason

Splat
07-23-2008, 03:49 PM
you know what I was thinking about with him? (i know this isn't the Chiefs forum but he brought it up...)

Is if they gave him one deal for being a LT that reduces a little bit if he ends up having to move back into a G spot.

The Giants did a similar thing with......ah......Diehl? I think it was Diehl......He gets so much if he stays at LT but it reduces if he gets kicked back inside for any reason

I would be happy with that and so would the Chiefs but I have a feeling his agent would not be a fan.

BeerBaron
07-23-2008, 03:50 PM
I would be happy with that and so would the Chiefs but I have a feeling his agent would not be a fan.

no, probably not, but somehow the Giants horked David Diehl and his agent into it, so it is doable...

Splat
07-23-2008, 03:54 PM
I really think BA would have to pull a Robert Gallery to be moved to OG the Chiefs have said since the first PC after they drafted him he is our LT.

BeerBaron
07-23-2008, 04:04 PM
I really think BA would have to pull a Robert Gallery to be moved to OG the Chiefs have said since the first PC after they drafted him he is our LT.

i understand that but thinking from the teams perspective, wouldn't you want to try and get yourself a little protection?

I mean, he could fizzle easily at LT but then be a pro bowl G for years and years if moved back. The pay difference between a franchise LT and pro bowl G is still pretty large I believe......

So even if he looked like a hall of famer in TC and stuff, I think the team would like to protect itself if possible.

Idk if it would actually happen for them to split his contract that way, but the precedent is out there for such a move