PDA

View Full Version : Boy Meets World

jballa838
07-23-2008, 06:13 PM
I got into this argument with my friend today. I said Boy Meets World was a top 5 TV Show of the '90s and he said I was overrating it.
Discuss.

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Boy Meets World is not a top 5 TV show of the 90's. Top 5 kids show maybe but more like top 50 overall show of the 90's.

Rob S
07-23-2008, 06:16 PM
I would say it was amongst my generation....such a *** show, but u couldnt not watch. Thats the sign of a great show: when u know u shouldnt watch but u had to.

soybean
07-23-2008, 06:22 PM
boy meets world was really good it's early seasons but as corey matthews became older and uglier the show became less funny and they tried to make it more of a drama. He became a whiney little b****

ps. i assume saved by the bell is number 1? and fresh prince 2?

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2008, 06:22 PM
what is boy meets world?

Jensen
07-23-2008, 06:24 PM
It was one of my favorite shows when I was 12-16.

Turtlepower
07-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Too bad they only put the first 3 seasons on DVD. I guess it didn't sell well enough to continue the series.

jballa838
07-23-2008, 06:25 PM
boy meets world was really good it's early seasons but as corey matthews became older and uglier the show became less funny and they tried to make it more of a drama. He became a whiney little b****

ps. i assume saved by the bell is number 1? and fresh prince 2?
I actually have those flipped due to FPOBA's consistent product and SBTB was very inconsistent, with some great and some horrible episodes.

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 06:30 PM
X-Files is better then all the shows you mentioned. Also, The Sopranos started in 99 I believe and its first season is among the greatest seasons in television history. I also think Freaks and Geeks was 1999. Sure the shows you mentioned are pretty good as far as teen shows go but not the best. The honor of best kids/teen show goes to Are You Afraid of the Dark.

Rob S
07-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I agree.....Fresh Prince is tops for me. Some classic stuff there.

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
X-Files is better then all the shows you mentioned. Also, The Sopranos started in 99 I believe and its first season is among the greatest seasons in television history. I also think Freaks and Geeks was 1999. Sure the shows you mentioned are pretty good as far as teen shows go but not the best. The honor of best kids/teen show goes to Are You Afraid of the Dark.
The Simpsons?

Ness
07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Not a top five show in my opinion. Plus, there were a lot of things that didn't make sense within the show. Most notably the time difference in terms of Cory and his brother changing grade levels.

OSUGiants17
07-23-2008, 06:37 PM
I loved, it wasn't that good but for some reason I watched it all the time. The best was the episode where Eric got a hair cut and everyone was like "What are you gonna do when it grows back?" "Oh it's not gonna grow back, I got the receipt." lol

badgerbacker
07-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Definitely up there for Kid's shows, but not of all shows. To go along with other ones mentioned so far... Seinfeld anyone?

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 06:42 PM
The Simpsons?

You are correct. It is one of the many I forgot. Some more shows better than Boy Meets World, Fresh Prince, and Saved by the Bell of the top of my head are The Larry Sanders Show, Cupid, NYPD Blue, Seinfeld, and I personally enjoy Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel more as popular teen shows when I was growing up.

iowatreat54
07-23-2008, 06:45 PM
The Simpsons?

Agreed...whether or not you like it or not, you can't really argue that the longest running cartoon and one of the longest running shows in TV history wasn't the best show of the 90s...you can argue the quality isn't best compared to other shows or if we are going purely on opinion, then you can argue it but the aforementioned run is a very heavy obstacle to avoid in an argument against it

slightlyaraiderfan
07-23-2008, 06:46 PM
The Savages were beast in terms of pre-teen/teen shows.

Even though The Wonder Years is a lot better then Boy Meets World.

jballa838
07-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Dang. Add Walker Texas Ranger to the list.

Turtlepower
07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
The Savages were beast in terms of pre-teen/teen shows.

Even though The Wonder Years is a lot better then Boy Meets World.

Ben Savage wishes he was as sexy as his brother.

Brent
07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
we have a TV discussion thread

fenikz
07-23-2008, 07:32 PM
mmmmm Topanga

nobodyinparticular
07-23-2008, 07:41 PM

Absolutely not. Those 1999 shows do not count for "shows of the '90s".

nobodyinparticular
07-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Dang. Add Walker Texas Ranger to the list.

Yes sir. This is the best TV ever created.

Xonraider
07-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Yes sir. This is the best TV ever created.

Only after legends of the hidden temple...

iowatreat54
07-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Only after legends of the hidden temple...

so many great tv shows of the 90s...makes all the shows on now look like crap

I miss my childhood :(

Bruce
07-23-2008, 07:53 PM
SBTB pwns all.

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 07:59 PM
so many great tv shows of the 90s...makes all the shows on now look like crap

I miss my childhood :(

I don't understand the perception that all television shows these days are crap. There have been some incredible shows these past 5 years and the quality of TV has risen a great deal since the 90's.

Turtlepower
07-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Ever try re-watching some of your chlidhood shows? Many of them are absolute crap.

I saw ducktales and Dinosaur for the first time in years and both of those shows are horrible now!

nobodyinparticular
07-23-2008, 08:11 PM
I don't understand the perception that all television shows these days are crap. There have been some incredible shows these past 5 years and the quality of TV has risen a great deal since the 90's.

Mmmm... Bones and House...

holt_bruce81
07-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Boy Meets World was awesome, I was in love with Topanga.

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Mmmm... Bones and House...

Are you saying those are the only good shows the past five years? I will name a few:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Arrested Development
Battlestar Galactica
Veronica Mars
Rescue Me
The Sopranos
Entourage
Weeds
Californication
The Office
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
The Wire
Deadwood
The Riches
Six Feet Under

That is just off the top of my head right there and all those shows are great, some I would call incredible, and a few I would call the best of all time. I am sure if I really thought about it I could name 10 or so more great ones.

soybean
07-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Are you saying those are the only good shows the past five years? I will name a few:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Arrested Development
Battlestar Galactica
Veronica Mars
Rescue Me
The Sopranos
Entourage
Weeds
Californication
The Office
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
The Wire
Deadwood
The Riches
Six Feet Under

That is just off the top of my head right there and all those shows are great, some I would call incredible, and a few I would call the best of all time. I am sure if I really thought about it I could name 10 or so more great ones.

you listed all cable shows. what about lost, heroes and grey's anatomy?

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 08:24 PM
you listed all cable shows. what about lost, heroes and grey's anatomy?

Like I said, I forgot many shows. Not all of the shows I listed were cable but you are right, many are. I would for sure have Lost and Heroes on that list and throw in 30 Rock. Damn, I know there are a whole lot of non cable shows I am forgetting.

Turtlepower
07-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Like I said, I forgot many shows. Not all of the shows I listed were cable but you are right, many are. I would for sure have Lost and Heroes on that list and throw in 30 Rock. Damn, I know there are a whole lot of non cable shows I am forgetting.

THE OFFICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Punisher
07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Umm... 24 Gonzo?

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 08:31 PM
I think my point was made.

themaninblack
07-23-2008, 08:34 PM
I used to watch this when I was younger and I loved it at the time.

draftguru151
07-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Definitely one of my favorite shows at the time, I'd watch it if if were still on.

iowatreat54
07-23-2008, 08:36 PM

lol I just meant that back in the day all those shows were "awesome" and still today I like randomly seeing Legends of the Hidden Temple or Fresh Prince from time to time, but I meant I don't have the same attachment to shows now

more of me missing being a carefree little kid than meaning shows suck today

Bosanac01
07-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Fresh Prince was the number one show of the 90s, hands down. I still watch it every night.

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Fresh Prince was the number one show of the 90s, hands down. I still watch it every night.

Seinfeld is was 100 times the show Fresh Prince was, hands down.

jballa838
07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Full House is underrated. Watched that today. John Stamos is god.

jballa838
07-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Seinfeld is was 100 times the show Fresh Prince was, hands down.
I'd leave it at only 4.85 times the show Fresh Prince was. Don't get me wrong, Seinfeld is glorious, but Fresh Prince was great too.

Jensen
07-23-2008, 08:43 PM
I was never that fascinated by Seinfeld. Fresh Prince is one of my favorite shows ever, maybe even my favorite.

jballa838
07-23-2008, 08:56 PM
I was never that fascinated by Seinfeld. Fresh Prince is one of my favorite shows ever, maybe even my favorite.
Seinfeld has a weird humor to it. Some people love it while others think "meh" of it. I compare it to the Office in some ways. Both have somewhat satirical humor and believable, yet unbelievable plots. Fresh Prince is a different monster. IMO it seemed as if it were something short of perfect, but I can't name what's missing.

Bosanac01
07-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Seinfeld was a great show, but still i have Fresh Prince way above it. To me Fresh Prince is invincible, im sorry thats just IMO.

brat316
07-23-2008, 09:08 PM
ABC had Boy Meets world on their prime time line up TGIF for a long time. so it rates near the top.

fischbowl
07-23-2008, 10:13 PM
What you're all missing here is the sense of demographics. Both Fresh Prince and Seinfeld fall into the broad sitcom genre, however they were both marketed Think, Soho NYC Jew as opposed to Atlanta slum type deal.

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 10:16 PM
I guess I also underestimate the love that white american youth obsessed with hip hop culture has for Fresh Prince.

Caddy
07-23-2008, 10:28 PM
There are a number of shows which are considerably better than Boy Meets World which aired during the nineties. It shouldn't even be considered top 20 if you ask me.

Bosanac01
07-23-2008, 10:40 PM
I guess I also underestimate the love that white american youth obsessed with hip hop culture has for Fresh Prince.

Well im not american and still love the show. The hip hop culture as you say is not what draws me so much to Fresh Prince. I love the humor.

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Well im not american and still love the show. The hip hop culture as you say is not what draws me so much to Fresh Prince. I love the humor.

That was kind of a joke. I guess it just wasn't that funny. No doubt Fresh Prince is a good show but it is kind of interesting to see the insane amount of love it gets.

Bills2083
07-23-2008, 10:43 PM
I loved that show. I'm mad it's not on TV anymore.

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 10:49 PM

If it were still on TV Will Smith would be almost 40 and I am sure getting about 5 mill an episode. He also would have gone from a lovable loser into an action hero. It would be an interesting show. Now if you really want to be mad about a show not being on the air anymore, be mad Arrested Development, IMO the greatest comedy show of all time, was cancelled.

Bosanac01
07-23-2008, 10:59 PM

Well where i live it's still very much on tv. They show 4 newer episodes to weekdays from 4pm to 6pm on peachtree tv, it used to be on TBS but they decided to be ***. They show 4 older episodes on weekdays from 2am to 4am on Nick, and yes i stay up everynight and watch it. lol

Bills2083
07-23-2008, 11:00 PM
If it were still on TV Will Smith would be almost 40 and I am sure getting about 5 mill an episode. He also would have gone from a lovable loser into an action hero. It would be an interesting show. Now if you really want to be mad about a show not being on the air anymore, be mad Arrested Development, IMO the greatest comedy show of all time, was cancelled.

I forgot to say I was speaking of Boy Meets World. Also, I didnt mean that I wanted them to still create new shows, I'd just like if they were to show some Boy Meets World reruns.

I am glad that Fresh Prince is still on, on Nick at Nite.

Caddy
07-23-2008, 11:01 PM

*Cough* Seinfeld *Cough*

Bosanac01
07-23-2008, 11:02 PM
I forgot to say I was speaking of Boy Meets World. Also, I didnt mean that I wanted them to still create new shows, I'd just like if they were to show some Boy Meets World reruns.

I am glad that Fresh Prince is still on, on Nick at Nite.

Well strach my post then, they dont show boy meets world anymore but it wasnt too long that they stopped showing it.

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 11:06 PM
*Cough* Seinfeld *Cough*

Nothing beats Arrested Development for me as far as Comedies go. I will always have an insane amount of respect for Seinfeld and many show before it for paving the way for great comedies but I would probably saw Seinfeld is in a very close race with Curb Your Enthusiasm and It's Always Sunny in Phildelphia as far as my second favorite comedy. Just my personal opinion.

SuperMcGee
07-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Nothing beats Arrested Development for me as far as Comedies go. I will always have an insane amount of respect for Seinfeld and many show before it for paving the way for great comedies but I would probably saw Seinfeld is in a very close race with Curb Your Enthusiasm and It's Always Sunny in Phildelphia as far as my second favorite comedy. Just my personal opinion.

I agree with just about everything said here. All of my other favorite comedy shows wouldn't fall into the same category (The Simpsons, The Critic, SNL, MST3K, Mr. Show)

Bills2083
07-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Well where i live it's still very much on tv. They show 4 newer episodes to weekdays from 4pm to 6pm on peachtree tv, it used to be on TBS but they decided to be ***. They show 4 older episodes on weekdays from 2am to 4am on Nick, and yes i stay up everynight and watch it. lol
noooooooooooo, I just found out Nickelodeon got rid of Fresh Prince :( http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

Boston
07-23-2008, 11:31 PM
*Cough* Seinfeld *Cough*

Umm.....what?

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Umm.....what?

I said Arrested Development is the greatest comedy of all time, he said cough Seinfeld which was him saying Seinfeld is better. It is pretty clear if you had read the thread.

Bosanac01
07-23-2008, 11:44 PM
noooooooooooo, I just found out Nickelodeon got rid of Fresh Prince :( http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

NOT TRUE, it always airs at 2am. :)

Jensen
07-23-2008, 11:48 PM
NOT TRUE, it always airs at 2am. :)

It used to come on at 11pm, but the ******* ******* at Nickelodeon or however you spell it decided that ******* *** ass Family Matters is better.

Bosanac01
07-23-2008, 11:52 PM
It used to come on at 11pm, but the ******* ******* at Nickelodeon or however you spell it decided that ******* *** ass Family Matters is better.

I know man i feel the same way, and omfg i wanna kill myself when they put roseanne on. I dont really like tool time either, but george lopez is cool.

Boston
07-23-2008, 11:53 PM
I said Arrested Development is the greatest comedy of all time, he said cough Seinfeld which was him saying Seinfeld is better. It is pretty clear if you had read the thread.

Arrested Development > Seinfeld

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Arrested Development > Seinfeld

Gotcha. Just wasn't sure if you didn't know what he meant or if you were agreeing with me. I am glad it was the latter.

GB12
07-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom ever. It's pretty much a fact.

Bosanac01
07-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom ever. It's pretty much a fact.

god i love kramer...

here watch this clip

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hYKMBIX291M&NR=1

bantx
07-24-2008, 12:20 AM
south park 1997 the 90's had so many great shows

Bosanac01
07-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Fresh Prince is on now!!! :) :D :)

VoteLynnSwan
07-24-2008, 01:41 AM
i absolutely hate the fresh prince... can't stand it, don't think it's funny at all.

islandboy843
07-24-2008, 02:08 AM
You sir, does not have a soul.

BamaFalcon59
07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
I loved, it wasn't that good but for some reason I watched it all the time. The best was the episode where Eric got a hair cut and everyone was like "What are you gonna do when it grows back?" "Oh it's not gonna grow back, I got the receipt." lol

Agreed. Loved to watch it, even if it was not an amazing show. The quirky humor worked well.

Smokey Joe
07-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Two words... Home Improvement.

drowe
07-24-2008, 10:01 AM
i think Boy Meets World would win the "biggest cult following after it got cancelled" award. seriously, people were never that in love with the show when it was on. i loved it. Cory and I were both in 6th grade when the show started in 1992. he passed me at some point, but i enjoyed watching him as a loser. but, when they turned him into a whiny little spank when Topanga got hot (and, just so we're clear, Topanga was hot), the show went downhill.

as far as top shows of the 90s, that's a tough one to crack. the Simpsons was at its best in the 90s, Seinfeld and Friends were back to back for a few years. Fresh Prince was there. X-Files was huge for a while. don't think there is room for Boy Meets World.

but, damn, i remember the days when ABC's TGIF was Boy Meets World, Full House, Step by Step and Sabrina the Teenage Witch. that was a good 2 hours for puberty fun. a lot of attractive chicks that were close to my age in most of those shows.

oh, and somebody mentioned Rosanne...personal opinion..that show is incredibly underrated. hear me out:
1-John Goodman rocks.
2-Rosanne herself might be annoying as hell...but, her character was very well written.
3-if you've never seen the series finale, look it up. it's one of the most amazing, inovative ends to a series i've ever seen. basically, Rosanne has a 10 minute monologue explaining that the last half of the series was a book she wrote based on how she wanted her life to turn out...when, in reality, things did not turn out nearly as well.

cdub11
07-24-2008, 10:23 AM
i dont think boy meets world was top 5 but i did like the show... topanga was hot... seinfeld best show of the 90s IMO

wicket
07-24-2008, 10:35 AM
For top 90's shows you have to go feminin and say Bevely hills 90210 or nice and oldschool Baywatch, gotta love it. Those were probably the two signature shows of the 90's imo

YAYareaRB
07-24-2008, 10:35 AM
I was a Fresh Prince kid myself. Will Smith was freakin' bad ass on that show.

Hines
07-24-2008, 10:51 AM
I loved Boy Meets World. Mad that it stopped playing. I also love Fresh Prince as it is my favorite show of all time. Home Improvement is god. I also loved Full House. But if we are talking about shows, what about Friends? I never actually watched it, but it got great reviews and high ratings.

Hines
07-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Married...........With Childeren was a good show too, always made me laugh.

nobodyinparticular
07-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Two words... Home Improvement.

2 words...

How Could I Forget That?

I grew up on that show! It was amazing!

awfullyquiet
07-24-2008, 12:57 PM
god. i feel old... the wonder years? anyone? anyone?

either way, boy meets world was terrible. except for the fact every time i see feeney, i go... FEENEYYYYYY!

drowe
07-24-2008, 01:00 PM
the wonder years have already been brought up. winnie cooper was on the west wing for a couple episodes. made me happy.

awfullyquiet
07-24-2008, 01:02 PM
the wonder years have already been brought up. winnie cooper was on the west wing for a couple episodes. made me happy.

i missed that then. i don't feel like reading because i'm working to hard.

now. do i have to drag back memories of the late 80's too for all you kids who were born in 91?

cdub11
07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
wonder years was a good show

awfullyquiet
07-24-2008, 01:10 PM
fred savage > ben savage.

wonder years > boy meets world.

that simple

drowe
07-24-2008, 01:12 PM
i missed that then. i don't feel like reading because i'm working to hard.

now. do i have to drag back memories of the late 80's too for all you kids who were born in 91?

yes, AQ, please enlighten them on ALF, Night Rider and Charles in Charge.

Addict
07-24-2008, 01:18 PM

You forgot Airwolf. Airwolf owned.

awfullyquiet
07-24-2008, 01:27 PM

Hell. What about small wonder? TJ Hooker. Night Court...

drowe
07-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Hell. What about small wonder? TJ Hooker. Night Court...

oh, Night Court was the BEST! i loved that show. what ever happened to Harry Anderson?

speaking of Harry Anderson...anybody remember the 90s sitcom, 'Dave's World'? i loved that show. it was based on Dave Barry.

Dr. Gonzo
07-24-2008, 03:37 PM
I see that ALF was brought up and that makes me happy. ALF is a far better show than Boy Meets World, Fresh Prince, Full House, and any other pre teen show so far named from the 90's.

BamaFalcon59
07-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Topanga ftw.

http://www.geocities.com/katiekincaid56/dd.jpg

http://wastedcelebrity.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/displayimagephp.jpg

BamaFalcon59
07-26-2008, 01:26 PM
I got two plus reps for that, lol.

MetSox17
07-26-2008, 01:35 PM
I got two plus reps for that, lol.

Lol, I'm sure it was from the big picture, cause the bottom-left side one is horrendous lol.

Bosanac01
07-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Ashley

http://www.singersroom.com/flicks/2008/05/caught_looking/tatyanna_ali_b.jpg

http://www.tatyanaali.org/Tatyana%20Ali.jpg