View Full Version : "A-11 offense could be the future of football"

djp
07-24-2008, 07:54 PM
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=825031

Interesting stuff.

What's your take on the offense?

Canadian_kid16
07-24-2008, 07:59 PM
I read that, and as long as its legal, go for it. It would be exciting to see if executed well

JT Jag
07-24-2008, 08:31 PM
A properly executed Zone Defense with any pass rush at all can tear this offense to shreds.

Of course, it's rare to see properly executed zone defenses at the high school level.

JayP
07-25-2008, 09:13 AM
A properly executed Zone Defense with any pass rush at all can tear this offense to shreds.

Of course, it's rare to see properly executed zone defenses at the high school level.

Even a properly executed zone would struggle against that offense. With no clearly defined OL, you don't know who's going to flood the zone, so you can't compensate.

Properly executed, that offense is a nightmare for a D-Coordinator.

Jericho@SC
08-04-2008, 02:11 AM
This is pretty interesting stuff.

But I think that the biggest weakness is the lack of protection for the quarterback.

It seems all to easy to blitz a cornerback/linebacker from the edges without any runningback of sorts to even try to block that defender.

The 3 man O-line wouldn't be able to stop a cornerback cuz he's too far off to the side.

Another DB would just pick up the blitzing cornerback's receiver.

It's a pretty aggressive scheme. It forces the defense to react. But any defensive coordinator worth his salt would try to put the pressure right back on the quarterback with constant blitzes from every angle. And with that kind of protection (or lack thereof) it would be hard to do.

Thinking about it now, I would compare it to playing touch football with no o-linemen, and a 0 second mississippi rush as opposed to a 3 mississippi rush.

Too easy to get pressure. The quarterback would have a hard time getting his feet set.

Strongside
08-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Well 5 players can't go down field and are ineligible, so if you can figure out who those 5 are and cover the other ones you're dandy.

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Can we get BBD in this thread. I think he could break this down pretty quick.

brat316
09-05-2008, 07:28 PM
the 5 players that don't go down field can catch it behind the line or reverse. In college it could work in the NFL everything usually gets scraped, like option plays. gadget plays work but you probably have to be really smart about them.

Smokey Joe
09-14-2008, 10:07 PM
A high school in my area runs this offense and they suck...

Joeyjr09
09-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Let's get real here. 1 QB and 10 guys going out on patterns. The defense can blitz half their team at the QB and not have to worry about covering anyone because all those WRs and extra CBs would be falling all over each other trying to grab the lame duck pass the QB would be throwing in order to avoid the pass rush.

Unless you have a boatload of very precise route runners and a QB that can outrun everyone on the field, that offense will never work.

BamaFalcon59
09-14-2008, 10:16 PM
If that became a prominant part of football, I don't think I would like football nearly as much.

scar988
09-25-2008, 02:39 PM
that offense would be very easy to combat.... 1 John Abraham, 2 LB's in mold like Urlacher and Boley, and a bucnh of corners and safeties would be able to stop it.

Ward
11-17-2008, 02:20 PM
that offense would be very easy to combat.... 1 John Abraham, 2 LB's in mold like Urlacher and Boley, and a bucnh of corners and safeties would be able to stop it.

Luckily there aren't any John Abrahams, Brian Urlachers, and Michael Boleys all playing for the same highschool defense.

This is a gimmick offense, and it won't get any higher than the high school level, and maybe a few college trick plays that will get flagged because refs won't know what to make of them.