PDA

View Full Version : Next Cane's 1st Rounder? ('09)

thebow305
07-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Kenny Phillips kept the streak alive in '08, being selected with the final pick of the 1st round in April. Which Miami Hurricane has the best chance to be selected in the 1st round of the '09 draft and keep the streak rolling?

(Note: After you vote, explain who you voted for and why! Especially if you voted "Other")

thebow305
07-25-2008, 05:45 PM
And for those who don't know, Graig Cooper is technically eligible after the 08-09 season because he attended prep school for a year before enrolling at UM.

eaglesfan_45
07-25-2008, 05:46 PM
I think Eric Moncur can crack the 1st round if he blows up the combine, he will be drafted as a 3-4 OLB.

Also if Javaris James can have a GREAT season, I see no reason why he can't do it. If the underclassmen RB's stay in there is no legit 1st round RB.

fenikz
07-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Gotta go with Moncur, he was our best D-lineman last year and you know come combine time his measurements are gonna be off the charts, definitely wouldn't mind the Cardinals taking him in the 1st.

I think Shaprton also has all the skills necessary to be a 1st rounded, just needs to start producing.

thebow305
07-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Gotta go with Moncur, he was our best D-lineman last year and you know come combine time his measurements are gonna be off the charts, definitely wouldn't mind the Cardinals taking him in the 1st.

I think Shaprton also has all the skills necessary to be a 1st rounded, just needs to start producing.

Yeah, I can't wait to see his combine numbers. Any UM fan knows that he is the definition of a workout warrior. Some of his numbers are pretty ridicuous in the offseasons. I think he runs in the 4.5s and is the strongest player on the team. And this is the player that one of our coaches (forget who) said he is much more talented and overall better player than Calais. I think combine that with the season we are all expecting from him, he SHOULD be a first rounder with no doubt.

Brent
07-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I voted Moncur, I don't even think that Cooper will come out. Besides that, isn't he pretty small?

fenikz
07-25-2008, 08:10 PM
I voted Moncur, I don't even think that Cooper will come out. Besides that, isn't he pretty small?

about normal college RB size 6'0, 205

draftguru151
07-25-2008, 08:26 PM
I think James has a better shot at the first than Cooper as long as he is healthy this year. He has the size and in spring he really looks like he has the burst back. If Fox comes out he might have a show as well. I don't think Moncur gets into the first though.

TACKLE
07-25-2008, 11:03 PM
I voted Moncur. He has lots of talent and can make plays in the back field but I think that he may be held back by his height. He's listed at 6'2 which means he's probably around 6'1 which is even short for a DE/OLB. Though, looking at pictures of him he seems like he has long arms.

The other candidate I would pick is Antonio Dixon. If he can play great and play great consistently, a team in need a 3-4 NT may want him especially in this weak class of 3-4 NT's. He is huge at 6'3 328 and is very talented. He still needs to become a full-time starter and needs to work on his pass-rush but I still think he could potentially go in Round 1.

eaglesfan_45
07-25-2008, 11:06 PM
No way Dixon goes Rd. 1, the DT class is stacked (potentially) and he is strictly a NT right now and he isn't even the best NT available.

Brent
07-25-2008, 11:41 PM
about normal college RB size 6'0, 205
oh alright, does anyone know his measurables?

Scott Wright
07-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Nobody has mentioned the Canes top senior prospect, cornerback Bruce Johnson.

Think Kelly Jennings.

Im_a_Romosexual
07-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Other, as in nobody

thebow305
07-26-2008, 01:14 AM

Think Kelly Jennings.

Wow, Bruce Johnson? Are we talking about the same player?

I'm one of the biggest Canes fan you will ever meet and he is one of my least favorite players on the team.

Kelly Jennings!? Why, because they are cousins?? The only things they have in common are the number (22) and above average speed. But Johnson seems to be as inconsistent as they come. He is in and out of the starting lineup, facing his top competition from a true freshman last season (DVD) and Carlos Armour, a career overachiever. Not to mention, he's fumbled on returns too many times to count, not surprisingly his hands have cost him many opportunities on interceptions as well.

I am shocked to say the least, hearing his name come from you Scott.

Top Senior Prospect? I wouldn't even say he's the top CB prospect on our team, and even if he was, it's not by any margin at all.

DT Antonio Dixon, DE Eric Moncur, S Anthony Reddick, S Lovon Ponder, and S Randy Phillips are all Seniors this year and I would have no qualms about taking any of them over Bruce Johnson.

A lot could change in a year, but once again, he's failed to nail down a starting spot and would have have to have a heck of a year to even be considered in April IMO. I mean, is there something I'm missing here, because I seem to always be disappointed when I watch him?

Scott Wright
07-26-2008, 01:54 AM
Wow, Bruce Johnson? Are we talking about the same player?

I'm one of the biggest Canes fan you will ever meet and he is one of my least favorite players on the team.

Kelly Jennings!? Why, because they are cousins?? The only things they have in common are the number (22) and above average speed. But Johnson seems to be as inconsistent as they come. He is in and out of the starting lineup, facing his top competition from a true freshman last season (DVD) and Carlos Armour, a career overachiever. Not to mention, he's fumbled on returns too many times to count, not surprisingly his hands have cost him many opportunities on interceptions as well.

I am shocked to say the least, hearing his name come from you Scott.

Top Senior Prospect? I wouldn't even say he's the top CB prospect on our team, and even if he was, it's not by any margin at all.

DT Antonio Dixon, DE Eric Moncur, S Anthony Reddick, S Lovon Ponder, and S Randy Phillips are all Seniors this year and I would have no qualms about taking any of them over Bruce Johnson.

A lot could change in a year, but once again, he's failed to nail down a starting spot and would have have to have a heck of a year to even be considered in April IMO. I mean, is there something I'm missing here, because I seem to always be disappointed when I watch him?

I really didn't even know they were cousins. I just made the Jennings / Johnson comparison due to their lack of bulk.

With that said Johnson is probably going to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

thebow305
07-26-2008, 08:16 AM
I really didn't even know they were cousins. I just made the Jennings / Johnson comparison due to their lack of bulk.

With that said Johnson is probably going to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Maybe a late rounder if he's lucky. Where do you get a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

I say this with no disrespect at all, but have you even watched this guy?

djp
07-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Bruce isn't that bad. I'd say 4th-5th round.

Miami's entire secondary was burnt toast last year due to horrid coordinating from good ol' Timmy Walton. He was a horrendous DC and it showed. Randy Phillips is a better description for what you're thing of bow.

bearsfan_51
07-27-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm going to go with nobody too, at least not at this point. It's actually a bit suprising Miami has held on with the record the last few years considering how utterly average they've been.

In fact, to be totally honest, I don't have a single Miami player untill the late 3rd round. That will change of course, but I think it's premature to annoit any of them as all that close to the 1st round.

Hines
07-27-2008, 07:15 PM
I chose other. I think if Sam Shields actually is consistant, he could be a very high riser with his size and speed. But I agree with the majority and say noone, untill next year when I think Allen Bailey will be a junior and come out.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Allen Bailey in 2010?

Someone is going to have to seriously step up to get a first round tag on this year's Hurricane team.

Unbiased
07-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Well, first of all, the posters saying "none" apparently refused to read the question.

As for the question itself, I will say Randy Phillips as a CB. Great size at 6'0" 208 lbs and is very productive. Had a relatively quite career playing with some great defensive backs, but this can be his year. As for a sleeper pick, I'll say JR Tervaris Johnson, but at this point, that is a huge task for him.

djp
07-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Well, first of all, the posters saying "none" apparently refused to read the question.

As for the question itself, I will say Randy Phillips as a CB. Great size at 6'0" 208 lbs and is very productive. Had a relatively quite career playing with some great defensive backs, but this can be his year. As for a sleeper pick, I'll say JR Tervaris Johnson, but at this point, that is a huge task for him.

LOL, hahahahaha

You have NEVER watched a Miami football game, have you? Randy Phillips was consistently the worst player on the field defensively. Pop in the OU game tape and watch Malcolm Kelly make him look like a 10 year old on the field. He was so bad at CB they had to switch him to safety.

Tervaris Johnson is by all accounts a huge bust. He will be a special teams only player next year because he simply can't cut it on the field.

You picked, no joke, the 2 very worst players to put in "first-round" territory.

Unbiased
07-27-2008, 09:55 PM
LOL, hahahahaha

You have NEVER watched a Miami football game, have you? Randy Phillips was consistently the worst player on the field defensively. Pop in the OU game tape and watch Malcolm Kelly make him look like a 10 year old on the field. He was so bad at CB they had to switch him to safety.

Tervaris Johnson is by all accounts a huge bust. He will be a special teams only player next year because he simply can't cut it on the field.

You picked, no joke, the 2 very worst players to put in "first-round" territory.

I have........

djp
07-27-2008, 09:55 PM
As far as the actual question goes, Eric Moncur and Graig Cooper are the two obvious choices. Coop will need a huge year and Moncur will need to reach 10 sacks to even be considered. He will measure well, and he is a versatile prospect being that he can play in multiple schemes fairly easily.

djp
07-27-2008, 09:58 PM
I have........

Did you go 12 rounds with Jack Daniels during the game? I actually genuinely laughed out loud when I read Randy Phillips.

I'm just givin' you stuff man, Phillips has measurables, but he's just simply not a good player.

RonnieRun23
07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Randy Phillips is a safety who has played out of position his whole life. He doesn't have the hips to play cornerback. He was a high school safety, playing cornerback. As a cornerback, he is an undraftable player. But as a safety with his measurables, which he's playing this year, he can be a mid-round player if he has a good year.

And on T. Johnson...he's a special teamer with great measurables. He's living off of high school hype, because he has never produced at Miami.

And cut Bruce Johnson some slack. He was our 2nd most consistent corner last year, which is hard considering the lack of inside pressure on the qb, and horrible safety play of Willie Cooper last year. He's no Kelly Jennings, but he's definitely a draftable player.

As for the question, i'll say Moncur as a 3-4 linebacker.

Unbiased
07-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Did you go 12 rounds with Jack Daniels during the game? I actually genuinely laughed out loud when I read Randy Phillips.

I'm just givin' you stuff man, Phillips has measurables, but he's just simply not a good player.

I'd bet I got a bigger laugh when I saw the thread than you laughing at my post. It is enormously unlikely that any Hurricane will be drafted in the first round next year, so thinking it may happen is a bigger deal than deciding who has the best chance.

djp
07-27-2008, 10:25 PM
I'd bet I got a bigger laugh when I saw the thread than you laughing at my post. It is enormously unlikely that any Hurricane will be drafted in the first round next year, so thinking it may happen is a bigger deal than deciding who has the best chance.

Take it easy, Kiper. I'm not exactly looking your way for advice on Miami players after you mentioned Phillips and Tervaris Johnson as possible first rounders.

Enormously unlikely, huh?

In Miami's worst year in decades, they still had a first rounder and second rounder. I'll bet somebody steps up this year against, outside of the road game at Florida, a relatively weak schedule. Who knows, maybe Tervaris Johnson will become the first special teamer to ever be drafted in the 1st? LOL

Joeyjr09
07-27-2008, 10:25 PM

So let me get this straight, you laughed when you saw a thread asking about which Hurricane will be drafted in the 1st this year even tho they have had a player drafted in the 1st for 14 straight years? You don't see any logic in that question? (rolls eyes)

Tervaris Johnson? Are you serious? I didn't even know he was still on the roster. I mean, I think our punter has made more tackles as a Cane then Johnson has.

Please, don't come on here trying to turn the tables and talk down to our Canes team that has 14 years of 1st rounders in a row when it's clearly obvious that you have no idea what on earth you are talking about. Randy Phillips as a CB? Please bro, the Canes moved him to safety last season because he sucked as a CB.

Scott, love the Bruce Johnson pick. He ain't going in the 1st but I've been saying for some time that he is easily the best pure cover corner on the Canes and one of the best pure cover guys in college football. Seriously underrated. I'd say 3rd round for him as an early pick.

Guys with a legit shot at round 1 are Moncur (has to get 10+ sacks and have a huge combine as a 3-4 LB), Jason Fox (Has to get stronger and have a monster season), and Javaris James (Needs to get his bounce back and have a big year). Few other longshots on the roster as well.

My pick is JJ. With a weak RB class and as good as JJ has looked so far in spring, I think he could be the guy to come out early and break the 1st round, He could be a Joseph Addai type late 1st rounder in my eyes.

I still can't believe this guy actually said Tervaris Johnson and then has the nerve to try to insult our team in an effort to cover that fact that he is completely clueless.

djp
07-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Randy Phillips is a safety who has played out of position his whole life. He doesn't have the hips to play cornerback. He was a high school safety, playing cornerback. As a cornerback, he is an undraftable player. But as a safety with his measurables, which he's playing this year, he can be a mid-round player if he has a good year.

And on T. Johnson...he's a special teamer with great measurables. He's living off of high school hype, because he has never produced at Miami.

And cut Bruce Johnson some slack. He was our 2nd most consistent corner last year, which is hard considering the lack of inside pressure on the qb, and horrible safety play of Willie Cooper last year. He's no Kelly Jennings, but he's definitely a draftable player.

As for the question, i'll say Moncur as a 3-4 linebacker.

Agreed, Johnson is actually a pretty solid player when you take a step back and realize how horrendous the coaching was last year.

As for Phillips.... his ceiling is probably a 5th or 6th round pick with a good year.

MidwayMonster31
07-27-2008, 10:30 PM
That Oklahoma game made just about every Hurricane player look like a total chump.
Bruce Johnson (CB) could sneak in with a great season. He has to show a lot of promise as a cornerback and as a return man. He also has to do well in all of the offseason stuff.
For Javarris James to be a first round pick, he will have to have a Heisman worthy season, and he might need some help because the other underclassmen like Beanie Wells, Knowshon Moreno, LeSean McCoy and DeMarco Murray are all poised to have good years, as well as declare for the draft (Moreno, Murray and McCoy are redshirt sophomores, so they are eligible). James Davis could also have a good season as a senior.

bearsfan_51
07-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Sorry I misread the thread. I'm curious to what % Miami fans think they will have a 1st rounder, any 1st rounder, because I'm just not seeing it.

Last year isn't the best example because most everyone knew Miami would be bad but that Kenny Phillips would almost undeniably be the top safety in the draft and Calais Campbell one of the better defensive ends in spite of that. I don't think it was a suprise to anyone. Most people following the draft already would be suprised at this point to find a 1st rounder among the bunch.

Joeyjr09
07-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Midway, The chances of Knowshon Moreno, LeSean McCoy and DeMarco Murray coming out during their RS SO season are slim at best. Beanie Wells is really the only big time back next year and OSU players have a knack for going back for their SR season so I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay. JJ with a big season certainly has a chance to be up there with the best backs in the draft. No reason he couldn't slip into the low 1st.

Bearfan, I think most of us Miami fans realize that the streak could end this year. Coming into last year both Kenny Phillips and Calais looked like top 10 picks. Look how much changed in a year. We barely kept the streak alive. Despite that fact that going into the season we have no clear cut 1st round projectable talent, we do feel like we have a handful of guys with potential to crack the 1st round with a good season. Moncur, Fox, JJ could all do it and even Reddick and to a lesser extent Bruce Johnson have an outside shot with good seasons. The talent is certainly there with all those guys. So while we don't have sure fire guys at this point it isn't like last year were we needed Calais or Kenny or bust. All we need is one guy to step up with a good year and a solid combine and they could go in round 1. I'd call it 50-50 at best but we certainly aren't expecting the streak to continue. We do have options tho. It's not like we are running scrubs out there, we have a handful of guys that have pure raw ability, they just need to put together a really good season.

saer
07-28-2008, 03:19 AM
I think it is possible that Eric Moncur can do it but if I had to bet my life I'd say 0 1st rounders

TACKLE
07-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I think it is possible that Eric Moncur can do it but if I had to bet my life I'd say 0 1st rounders

Great sig.

Unbiased
07-28-2008, 01:38 PM
So let me get this straight, you laughed when you saw a thread asking about which Hurricane will be drafted in the 1st this year even tho they have had a player drafted in the 1st for 14 straight years? You don't see any logic in that question? (rolls eyes)

Tervaris Johnson? Are you serious? I didn't even know he was still on the roster. I mean, I think our punter has made more tackles as a Cane then Johnson has.

Please, don't come on here trying to turn the tables and talk down to our Canes team that has 14 years of 1st rounders in a row when it's clearly obvious that you have no idea what on earth you are talking about. Randy Phillips as a CB? Please bro, the Canes moved him to safety last season because he sucked as a CB.

Scott, love the Bruce Johnson pick. He ain't going in the 1st but I've been saying for some time that he is easily the best pure cover corner on the Canes and one of the best pure cover guys in college football. Seriously underrated. I'd say 3rd round for him as an early pick.

Guys with a legit shot at round 1 are Moncur (has to get 10+ sacks and have a huge combine as a 3-4 LB), Jason Fox (Has to get stronger and have a monster season), and Javaris James (Needs to get his bounce back and have a big year). Few other longshots on the roster as well.

My pick is JJ. With a weak RB class and as good as JJ has looked so far in spring, I think he could be the guy to come out early and break the 1st round, He could be a Joseph Addai type late 1st rounder in my eyes.

I still can't believe this guy actually said Tervaris Johnson and then has the nerve to try to insult our team in an effort to cover that fact that he is completely clueless.

Why should Miami be free of insults? Why do you have some kind of sense of entitlement? Reality is no player on the roster has a "legit shot" to make the 1st round, yet your homer-self says 3 players do. Everyone who has posted in this thread has looked foolish trying to play up prospects who just don't have much of a chance.

YAYareaRB
07-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Whichever LB is eligible. They always seem to drop in the 1st round out of nowhere.

Joeyjr09
07-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Why should Miami be free of insults? Why do you have some kind of sense of entitlement? Reality is no player on the roster has a "legit shot" to make the 1st round, yet your homer-self says 3 players do.

Seriously bro, earlier in this thread, you brought up Randy Phillips and Tervaris Johnson as 1st round possiblilities so you are the last guy on here to be talking down to us for debating who our best prospect is. How you go from Randy Phillips and Tervaris Johnson could crack round 1 to suddenly, "you are fools, Miami sucks, no one will get drafted" is beyond me.

I can't believe you asked why Miami should be free of insults. Bro, are you that dense? Maybe because this is a MB with people that actually what to discuss this topic without some idiot coming and trying to talk down to everyone after he has proven he knows absolutely nothing about football.

Everyone who has posted in this thread has looked foolish trying to play up prospects who just don't have much of a chance

Go back and read the question for the thread genious. It doesn't ask if we are likely to continue the streak or not, it's a given the streak will likely end this year. The thread simply asked who has the best shot of cracking round 1. Basically, it's asking who Miami's best prospect is this year. There's nothing wrong with debating that. Heck even Scott himself got involved. Your the one that looks foolish say things like, "I laughed when I saw the thread"

btw..I love how the 1st thing you did in this thread was bash people for saying No one would get drafted in the 1st and once you get called out for your lack of info, you start a bash campaign and say no one will get drafted in the 1st.

Scott Wright
07-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Let's cool it on the insults / name calling and keep this thread informative.

fenikz
07-29-2008, 02:54 AM
Let's cool it on the insults / name calling and keep this thread informative.

Were any of Beason, Olsen, or Meriweather suposed to be 1st rounders at the beginning of that season?

Joeyjr09
07-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Were any of Beason, Olsen, or Meriweather suposed to be 1st rounders at the beginning of that season?

Meriweather and Olsen were, Beason was not. Althought all 3 were probably better prospects then the guys we have been talking about on this thread.

BamaFalcon59
07-29-2008, 08:15 AM
What kind of speed does Javarris James have? 4.5 I'm guessing?

I like the Joseph Addai comparison.

Joeyjr09
07-29-2008, 09:56 AM
What kind of speed does Javarris James have? 4.5 I'm guessing?

I like the Joseph Addai comparison.

Not 100% sure. His 40 times are off because he played hurt all last year so the film people have on him isn't really the type of back he is.

I didn't mean Joseph Addai as a literal comparison. I just meant it as JJ could sneak into the lower 1st like Addai did when he was drafted.

JJ isn't as versitile as Addai was. Addai could do more catching the ball out of the backfield and was shiftier in space. JJ is a better between the tackles runner then Addai was and I think he's a better blocker (althought, if I remember, Addai wasn't half bad as a blocker coming out). What's really gonna make or break JJ is his health. Looks like he's finally get his explosion back this year and he's making some sick cuts on outside runs in camp. He's gonna be much more dangerous like he was his freshman year when everything thought he was on his way to being one of college footballs best.

If he stays healthy and has a big year, the talent is there in this weak RB class for someone to take a shot at him pretty high in the draft.

He is a pretty good inside runner with some power to him, he is a solid blocker as a pass protector, and with his health back, he's pretty explosive and does a nice job of making people miss.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qnzCU0x4KkQ&feature=related

That's the video of the Miami spring practices. JJ is number 5. You see the nasty move he puts on the guy during the clips that starts at :33 seconds. That's what Miami fans are talking about when they say he has his explosion back. You didn't see that from him last season because he was hurt, he would just try to run the guy over and get a few extra yards. This year, you'll see him breaking more big runs.

thebow305
07-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Not 100% sure. His 40 times are off because he played hurt all last year so the film people have on him isn't really the type of back he is.

I didn't mean Joseph Addai as a literal comparison. I just meant it as JJ could sneak into the lower 1st like Addai did when he was drafted.

JJ isn't as versitile as Addai was. Addai could do more catching the ball out of the backfield and was shiftier in space. JJ is a better between the tackles runner then Addai was and I think he's a better blocker (althought, if I remember, Addai wasn't half bad as a blocker coming out). What's really gonna make or break JJ is his health. Looks like he's finally get his explosion back this year and he's making some sick cuts on outside runs in camp. He's gonna be much more dangerous like he was his freshman year when everything thought he was on his way to being one of college footballs best.

If he stays healthy and has a big year, the talent is there in this weak RB class for someone to take a shot at him pretty high in the draft.

He is a pretty good inside runner with some power to him, he is a solid blocker as a pass protector, and with his health back, he's pretty explosive and does a nice job of making people miss.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qnzCU0x4KkQ&feature=related

That's the video of the Miami spring practices. JJ is number 5. You see the nasty move he puts on the guy during the clips that starts at :33 seconds. That's what Miami fans are talking about when they say he has his explosion back. You didn't see that from him last season because he was hurt, he would just try to run the guy over and get a few extra yards. This year, you'll see him breaking more big runs.

Wow, that juke was NASTY!

Iamcanadian
07-30-2008, 07:31 PM
The fact is Miami is getting less talented every year and the likelihood of having another 1st rounder is getting slimmer and slimmer.

thebow305
07-30-2008, 09:44 PM
The fact is Miami is getting less talented every year and the likelihood of having another 1st rounder is getting slimmer and slimmer.

That doesn't matter, because that was not the question. Why do any of you respond to the thread saying things like this? This response, as well as others like: "Miami sucks" or "They will have 0 first rounders" accomplishes nothing. I didn't ask you're opinion on that. I simply asked, of those current Miami players, which one has the best chance to crack the first round. Simple as that.

Everyone, read the thread first before responding.

Unbiased
07-30-2008, 11:10 PM
btw..I love how the 1st thing you did in this thread was bash people for saying No one would get drafted in the 1st and once you get called out for your lack of info, you start a bash campaign and say no one will get drafted in the 1st.

I had to pick someone since he worded the question that way.

Unbiased
07-30-2008, 11:11 PM
And I like the sig, Joey. Too bad he wasn't my pick.

Geomar
07-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Actually for the guy who said our chances are getting slimmer. lol

We actually have a lot of studs coming up for the 2010, 2011, and,2012
classes.

Also Javarris James was injured last year, if anyone watched the game against Marshall you would realize Javarris was not the same after the injury that happened in the 4th quarter.

he actually is much faster.

Javarris's recorded 40 yard dash from the spring training is a 4.51

Javarris will have a great year IF he stays healthy,

and about those sophomore runningbacks for the 2009 class. VERY UNLIKELY. SOPHOMORES BARELY EVER COME OUT.

The 2009 RB class is very weak except for a RB in Chris Wells.

It is very possible Javarris can get in 1st round with a good season. No one can bash Javarris cause of last season, cause he was not playing as his same ole self. Javarris is much faster and stronger now.

Javarris is 6'0" 218 and, runs a 4.51 40 yard.

If Javarris has a good year and stays healthy, he does have a very great shot at 1st round.

BTW my top choice for a first rounder from us would be Jason Fox. Jason is 6'7" and is 306, and has started every game he has played since his freshman year. He is a very great run blocker and pass blocker. He plays Left Tackle.
The guy is simply amazing. There is no doubt in my mind after this season that Jason wont be a first rounder.

Also Graig Cooper is 6'0" 205 now, and he runs a 4.48 40 yard. (Cooper wont be the featured back this year but he will have a great year being the #2 punch to Javarris's #1.)

We run a 1-2 punch run game here in Miami.

Here is some highlights from our spring-mid scrimmage, and from our spring game.

Javarris is #5, and Graig Cooper is #2, and Jason Fox is #64.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qnzCU0x4KkQ (In this vid watch out for the huge juke and speed from Javarris, it's the 2nd play in the vid.)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a-IsPQ_6GF4&feature=related (In this vid Javarris only had one running play but it was for 25 yards. and also look out for Coop's TD's.Also look out for the pass play Javarris caught and he broke a tackle between 2 defenders.)

IMO Javarris, and Cooper are a very good tandem.

djp
08-01-2008, 01:42 AM

Beason was viewed as a 2nd-3rd rounder, but I will firmly toot my own horn when I proclaimed him as a first rounder and was laughed at in the pre-season.

Hit Stick (Meriweather) was viewed as an elite safety in the preseason, but once UM took a nosedive on the field his stock dropped considerably. It wasn't until the Miami Pro Day that Meriweather slowly began to rise up draft boards.

Olsen was an enigma before the year... he was expected to contribute BIG TIME after falling short of expectations during his first years. The TE coach proclaimed him as the best tight end he's ever seen, and he coached Shockey and K2. He disappointed, but produced enough and had an unreal combine to get himself in the 1st.

djp
08-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Also, another funny tidbit about Unbiased's comments... Tervaris Johnson was moved to TE in the offseason. That's all I'll say.

CashmoneyDrew
08-02-2008, 01:56 AM
I dont see it happening this year. There's not really anyone on the canes roster who IMO would look to be in the top 5-6ish in their respective positions draft wise.

thebow305
09-08-2008, 11:29 PM

Think Kelly Jennings.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080907/capt.c059be013d10459eb37d37f12e61a54a.miami_florid a_football_gvp117.jpg

Is this the same Bruce Johnson you were talking about? Because this is the only one I know. I was at the game watching this play live and I laughed out loud afterward thinking about the above quote.

He looked simply ridiculous here.

SenorGato
09-09-2008, 12:02 AM
I voted Moncur. He has lots of talent and can make plays in the back field but I think that he may be held back by his height. He's listed at 6'2 which means he's probably around 6'1 which is even short for a DE/OLB. Though, looking at pictures of him he seems like he has long arms.

The other candidate I would pick is Antonio Dixon. If he can play great and play great consistently, a team in need a 3-4 NT may want him especially in this weak class of 3-4 NT's. He is huge at 6'3 328 and is very talented. He still needs to become a full-time starter and needs to work on his pass-rush but I still think he could potentially go in Round 1.

Got my sleeper. Dixon is hugeeee, but he's really athletic and he's supposed to see the field alot more this year.

He's the one who broke through on Tebow's first TD pass Saturday...nice show of burst and power there cause he just broke right through. Not the right result, but stuff happens.

djp
09-09-2008, 12:03 AM
I thought that Antonio Dixon played really great vs Florida. I don't think he'll be a first rounder, but I think he could sneak into day 1 if he keeps it up.

Miami's best chance as of now is probably Eric Moncur still, but he will have to step it up the 2nd half of the year and have a great combine. His mom just died of cancer, so it will be tough for him.

Coming in 2nd now is probably Jason Fox, but he looked pretty poor vs the Gators. He will need to really improve his run blocking and strength to get there.

Yatta!
09-09-2008, 05:47 AM
I really can't see a 1st round Cane this year. The RBs have the most talent but are unlikely to declare. Moncur and Johnson are solid but unspectacular seniors and Jason Fox still has a lot of improving to do before he becomes a top tackle prospect.

etk
09-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Jason Fox.

- 3 year starter at Tackle
- Prototypical size
- Good pass blocker and run blocker
- Good feet, pulls well
- Leader
- Has some nastiness

If Duane Brown can be a 1st rounder, so can Jason. He just has to declare first, which I don't want him to, streak or no streak.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-29-2008, 06:02 PM
This year I dont think yall have a 1st rounder...If James didnt miss these last few games I would say him...so I guess Darryl Sharpton if I had to pic one....but like I said...I dont think yall got one this year....But when Aldarius Johnson....Sean Spence...and Brandon Harris....I wanna see how they turn out...

djp
09-29-2008, 06:35 PM
This year I dont think yall have a 1st rounder...If James didnt miss these last few games I would say him...so I guess Darryl Sharpton if I had to pic one....but like I said...I dont think yall got one this year....But when Aldarius Johnson....Sean Spence...and Brandon Harris....I wanna see how they turn out...

Sharpton? James? Are you serious?

Jason Fox is probably the best bet right now. Doubtful he'll sneak in unless the Canes get hot.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Maybe if Graig Cooper leaves early

CC.SD
09-29-2008, 07:15 PM
The streak is over, wow.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Sharpton? James? Are you serious?

Jason Fox is probably the best bet right now. Doubtful he'll sneak in unless the Canes get hot.
Jason Fox....Are YOU serious.....Like I said...I dont think yall have a 1st rounder this year...But if i HAD to pick one I say James...Damn sure not Fox...

Geomar
09-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Graig Cooper has surpassed James. JJ is a good RB and we will still use him a lot when he comes back against UCF but Cooper seems to be better.

I used to think JJ was better but I take Cooper over him.

Jason Fox is a damn good prospect so I dont know what this "are you serious" about Fox is about.

Geomar
09-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Also a prospect to watch out for is WR Kayne Farquharson.

6'2 188.

runs a 4.4 forty.

He's been making plays for us.

djp
09-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Jason Fox....Are YOU serious.....Like I said...I dont think yall have a 1st rounder this year...But if i HAD to pick one I say James...Damn sure not Fox...

What's wrong with Fox?

Do you watch Miami games? He has been Miami's best lineman since his freshman year.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Graig Cooper has surpassed James. JJ is a good RB and we will still use him a lot when he comes back against UCF but Cooper seems to be better.

I used to think JJ was better but I take Cooper over him.

Jason Fox is a damn good prospect so I dont know what this "are you serious" about Fox is about.
I agree...Jason Fox is a good player...

As are Terrance Cody...Evander Hood....Terrance Taylor...Moala...Peria Jerry...Sen'Derrick Marks...Ricky Jean-Fran...Demarcus Granger...Geno Atkins...B.J Raji

And frankly all those DT's have a better chance of gettin drafted in the 1st round than Fox....Not to mention Tyson Jackson if he gets moved to inside when he is drafted....I do like Fox though...

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-30-2008, 04:01 PM
What's wrong with Fox?

Do you watch Miami games? He has been Miami's best lineman since his freshman year.
Naaaah man I aint sayin that Fox is garbage...Im just sayin that there are a lot of interior lineman that are better than him u know....

As far as RB...James is up there...And Edge being his cousin will help his draft status as well...

djp
09-30-2008, 04:05 PM

As are Terrance Cody...Evander Hood....Terrance Taylor...Moala...Peria Jerry...Sen'Derrick Marks...Ricky Jean-Fran...Demarcus Granger...Geno Atkins...B.J Raji

And frankly all those DT's have a better chance of gettin drafted in the 1st round than Fox....Not to mention Tyson Jackson if he gets moved to inside when he is drafted....I do like Fox though...

Tell me, what position does Jason Fox play?

The fact that you just called him a DT shows everyone that you're talking out of your ass.

You've just been gonged, bro.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-30-2008, 04:06 PM
I see yall 2 like The U....

What do you all think of Marve?? Is Jacory Harris gonna force him to transfer or is Marve the future???

I like that Travis Benjamin kid...

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-30-2008, 04:09 PM
My bad...Im thinkin about Dixon...Not Fox

Geomar
09-30-2008, 04:10 PM

Jason Fox plays left tackle (Offensive line). Not defensive tackle.

Geomar
09-30-2008, 04:14 PM
I see yall 2 like The U....

What do you all think of Marve?? Is Jacory Harris gonna force him to transfer or is Marve the future???

I like that Travis Benjamin kid...

Marve is the truth. Patrick Nix our OC needs to take off the training wheels cause Marve is amazing for just a redshirt freshman QB. You can clearly see why Marve won the starting job. Jacory is good, but he is still raw and young. Marve will be the starter until he leaves. Hopefully we redshirt Jacory one year to save a year for him.

Travis benjamin is just blazing fast. He's been very close twice to taking some returns to the house. benjamin runs a 4.26

etk
10-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Fox, Cooper and Sharpton are all fringe 1st round talents. The streak's definitely not "over", at least not until January when we can re-evaluate.

thebow305
10-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Well, I guess you can take Eric Moncur out of the equation now. Damn, I think he was our best shot!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3627084

Buckrock101
10-06-2008, 02:09 AM
The guys with the best chance of being a first rounder this year IMO is Darryl Sharpton. He was impressive against Florida, and if he plays well this season, he is certainly a chance. I think Graig Cooper is a better player, but I doubt he comes out this year.

giantsfan
10-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Does Miami really plan on going into next season trying to spread the ball between three elite RBs? Teams can pull of two studs, but the third guy usually gets forced out so with BB coming in I think Cooper might come out and I could see him going late first round to a team looking for a playmaker in the back field.

ThaU4Life
10-07-2008, 02:26 PM
I think Sharpton and Cooper have the best chance but I doubt they come out. Bruce Johnson is also a possibility but he'll need a huge combine.

keylime_5
10-07-2008, 03:11 PM
2009 = the year without a cane in the first.

etk
10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Does Miami really plan on going into next season trying to spread the ball between three elite RBs? Teams can pull of two studs, but the third guy usually gets forced out so with BB coming in I think Cooper might come out and I could see him going late first round to a team looking for a playmaker in the back field.

JJ, Coop, Bryce, McNeal, Chambers, James, Miller, Berry.

This is the U.....we don't concern ourselves with having "too many" RBs. If you look at the draft history of our school at the position...we consistently churn out studs. We like to spread the ball and spell our backs a lot and we've had problems with injuries to our backs recently (McGahee, Gore, Moss, JJ) so honestly we can't get enough. Randy Shannon does NOT want to have to rely on Derron Thomas (or similar) to spell the starter EVER AGAIN. That's just unacceptable.

I could Cooper leaving after this year. He's made huge strides already from his tFr year and he looks NFL ready. I think he has late-1st potential at the very least....I'd take him over James Davis and others.

SuperKevin
10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
2009 = the year without a cane in the first.

Agreed. Unless someone has a HUGE postseason I'm not even sure they'll have a 1st day pick in 2009

SuperKevin
10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-flsphyde08sboct08,0,6466687.column

This article in the Orlando Sentinel syas an anonymous NFL scout claims no Miami Hurricanes will be drafted in the 2009 NFL Draft. Kind of shocking

ThaU4Life
10-08-2008, 10:41 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-flsphyde08sboct08,0,6466687.column

This article in the Orlando Sentinel syas an anonymous NFL scout claims no Miami Hurricanes will be drafted in the 2009 NFL Draft. Kind of shocking

Well that won't happen.

thebow305
10-08-2008, 10:48 PM
JJ, Coop, Bryce, McNeal, Chambers, James, Miller, Berry.

This is the U.....we don't concern ourselves with having "too many" RBs. If you look at the draft history of our school at the position...we consistently churn out studs. We like to spread the ball and spell our backs a lot and we've had problems with injuries to our backs recently (McGahee, Gore, Moss, JJ) so honestly we can't get enough. Randy Shannon does NOT want to have to rely on Derron Thomas (or similar) to spell the starter EVER AGAIN. That's just unacceptable.

I could Cooper leaving after this year. He's made huge strides already from his tFr year and he looks NFL ready. I think he has late-1st potential at the very least....I'd take him over James Davis and others.

I could easily see 4 of those guys being out of the equation, maybe even 5 next year. Some things I could see playing out:

1. Berry will probably be moved back to safety next year
2. Coop or JJ may declare for the draft.
3. Mike James could decommit now that Miller is on board.
4. McNeal or Chambers or both will probably transfer.

I could be wrong, but there will be way too many RB's if they all stay. Not that I'm complaining, hey, if USC can do it, why can't the U!?

MarioPalmer
10-08-2008, 11:58 PM
I don't know if he would declare since he is out for the season with an injury, but I would love to have Colin McCarthey on my NFL squad. Love that kid, quite yet intense, and his athleticism is great. He is another Dan Morgan in the sense that he is smart, instictful and athletic and he is a leader by example.

Sharpton is another stud, reminds me a lot of like Rocky McIntosh, but I don't see him going in the first. Maybe Moncur but he would have to show the versitility to be a OLB in a 3-4. His off-season workouts and combine numbers would also have to be top notch. This upcoming draft is chalk filled with premier OLB 3-4 prospects.

Think about it. Moncur would be up against these guys: George Selvie (6'4 250lbs.), Austin English (6'3 254lbs.), Maurice Evans (6'2 265lbs.), Greg Hardy (6'4 255lbs.), Brandon Graham (6'2 270lbs.), Michael Johnson (6'6 260lbs.), Everette Brown (6'4 245lbs.), Eddie Jones (6'3 250lbs.), Jeffrey Fitzgerald (6'3 270lbs.), Ian Campbell (6'5 240lbs.) and Ricky Sapp (6'4 235lbs.).

Thats a pretty steady group of 3-4 OLB prospects, not all of them will declare and some of them won't live up to their own hype after testing, but a few will wow scouts and GM's with workouts as well. There is always 1 or 2 guys that will come out of no where too and put up great workout numbers and be drafted ahead of where they really should be, so Moncur has his work cut out for him. But I still like his ability and I definitly think a team that would want that 3rd OLB would give him a serious look. I could definitly see the 49ers, Patriots, Browns, Dolphins and Ravens bring him in for private workouts and one on one interviews with the coaches and general manger.

djp
10-09-2008, 12:00 AM
I just can't imagine Jason Fox not being picked if he is in the draft. Same with Antonio Dixon and Javarris James. And even Bruce Johnson.

McCarthy is out for the year and won't be in the draft. He had been piss poor this year on D but was lighting it up on special teams.

While I agree that we won't have a 1st rounder, but I mean, come on guys. Nobody picked? Let's get serious here.

Ozzy
10-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Bruce Johnson is a great cover man, he is usually right on the receiver, his problem is that he does not attack the ball and he does not know how to go get the ball. Thus he does get beat a lot, I have seen him many times this year be exactly in the right position but get out jumped or out worked for the ball because he is not looking at where the ball is coming from until it is too late.

As a flat out cover man though, he can stick on a receiver in man to man. Cooper is there only real chance at a 1st round pick, Moncur is not dominating anyone and I doubt he gets picked in the first round. Glenn Cook is playing much better than him on defense as a senior.

thebow305
10-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Bruce Johnson is a great cover man, he is usually right on the receiver, his problem is that he does not attack the ball and he does not know how to go get the ball. Thus he does get beat a lot, I have seen him many times this year be exactly in the right position but get out jumped or out worked for the ball because he is not looking at where the ball is coming from until it is too late.

As a flat out cover man though, he can stick on a receiver in man to man. Cooper is there only real chance at a 1st round pick, Moncur is not dominating anyone and I doubt he gets picked in the first round. Glenn Cook is playing much better than him on defense as a senior.

That's great, and Tye Hill sticks with his reciever most of the times until the ball gets there, and the reciever burns him. Which is exactly why Bruce Johnson has no future.

Geomar
10-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Eric Moncur is out for the year BTW.

Javarris will be missing the UCF game. reported in the injury report today. Expected to be back next week vs. Duke.

I feel as Coop is gonna continue to be amazing for us this season and could consider leaving early. I think he's going to have a huge year.

I can't imagine how it's gonna be like next year at RB.

Coop
JJ
Bryce
Miller
McNeal
Mike J.
Chambers

I have some weird feeling Graig Cooper will continue to ball all season and just leave early.

That added muscle has been amazing for Coop, he's added some more speed too. You could tell last year he had potential and he did make a lot of plays. All he needed to do was get in the weight room and the kid would explode to new heights. Look at him now. =)

Also
Three good prospects we have that are juniors and seniors to watch for are Jason Fox(OT), Kayne Farquharson(WR), Anthony Reddick(S).