PDA

View Full Version : Magazines Subscribed To?

oldLibid21
07-26-2008, 03:48 AM
I'm just wondering whether or not you guys subscribe to any magazines. It can be about anything. Basketball, bodybuilding, gaming, and other stuff (Playboy, FHM). I'm letting all my subscriptions run out, and by this fall, I'm looking to make a new 'lineup' of magazines.

Right now, my 'lineup' of magazine subscriptions are:
Sport Illustrated - I think they really lost their best writer in Rick Reilly. I'd usually go to the last page of the magazine (Life of Reilly) first before I'd read anything else. His replacements don't even come close with the type of writing that Reilly brought to Sport Illustrated. What's worse is, he left Sports Illustrated to become a journalist/writer over at the next magazine I subscribe to. I don't plan on renewing my subscription with SI. They've gone downhill, and I think there are better options out there.

ESPN - Their magazine writers aren't as good as SI's, but they do have some things going for them. For one, if you subscribe to ESPN Insider online, you can get a free subscription of ESPN The Magazine which IMO is the best deal out there. Without ESPN Insider, I would never even think of reading ESPN.com, but now I read it every time I use the computer, and I even had it as my homepage at one point or the other. I plan on renewing this subscription because Rick Reilly now writes for the magazine (every two weeks), and I get to have access to the Insider.

Electronic Gaming Monthly - I got this for free. I signed up for free membership through the CheapAssGamer Forums, and they sent me other free stuff that I didn't want (weekly business newspapers and all that junk). I guess free is free, and I can't complain. I subscribed to this magazine when I just got my 360 for Christmas. So around New Year's, I started looking into getting more games, so I decided to subscribe to this. It ain't bad, but when I get it in the mail, I usually just leave it in the bathroom to read for when, you know.

I'm looking into subscribing to these magazines, tell me what you think about some of them. Again, I'm only looking to subscribe to them, doesn't mean I have already subscribed. I want to know your opinions first before I do indeed subscribe:
-ESPN (No doubt I will be renewing my brother's subscription or even starting my own if need be. I explained why above.)
-Sporting News (Heard they were really strict to what they talked about. More sports articles than anything else like what SI has in their 'Players' feature and other tidbits. I have no clue though, and I always forget to look this magazine up when I visit somewhere like CVS).
-SLAM (How are their writers?)
-Iron Man (Bodybuilding Magazine. Got a free one in the mail, and to be honest, it had a lot of good articles about bodybuilding, nutrition, etc.)
-FHM/Playboy (Yes, I'm thinking about it. I don't think my parents would mind, but I'd just have to hide it from my dad who I'm worried might steal it if I were to subscribe to them).

That's just about it. If all goes according to plan, my brother will renew his subscription himself, so I wouldn't have to use my own money to subscribe to the ESPN magazines meaning I can choose three more magazines to subscribe to. I was thinking Sporting News, SLAM, and FHM/Playboy.

Ness
07-26-2008, 04:09 AM
Men's Health is a magazine I'm planning to subscribe to.

Brent
07-26-2008, 08:52 AM
All I get is Newsweek and I usually read it cover-to-cover the day it arrives.

Bills2083
07-26-2008, 08:59 AM
I am a subscriber to Sports Illustrated and ESPN.
Once I finish reading them, I dont like getting rid of them, so I store them (but I am running out of room). Does anybody else do this?

Brent
07-26-2008, 09:02 AM
I am a subscriber to Sports Illustrated and ESPN.
Once I finish reading them, I dont like getting rid of them, so I store them (but I am running out of room). Does anybody else do this?
I keep Newsweek until the next one shows up and then I throw it away. I dont know why you would keep them.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2008, 09:27 AM
http://cat-products.cats-central.com/images/B00005NINI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Brent
07-26-2008, 09:34 AM
something looks wrong with that cats face. like it's dead on the inside.

kwilk103
07-26-2008, 09:55 AM
si and espn, agree what was said above about them

M.O.T.H.
07-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I used to get SI and Baseball Weekly back in the day. I dont have any subscriptions now, though.

CJSchneider
07-26-2008, 10:47 AM
My school library subscribes to several monthly sports magazines. Baseball and Football Digest, SI, SI for kids, and ESPN are the ones I read. Depending on who is on the cover of a particular magazine, I'll ask our librarian if I can have it. I only do this because I learned before I began working at that school, she would destroy all the magazines at the end of the year anyway.

Twiddler
07-26-2008, 10:51 AM
SI and Time magazine.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-26-2008, 10:55 AM
I just take magazines whenever I want from my work's break room.

Brent
07-26-2008, 11:03 AM
My school library subscribes to several monthly sports magazines.
Yet another reason why libraries are awesome, aside from having unusually good DVD selections.

jballa838
07-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Slam Magazine has some terrific writing. I plan on subscribing soon. and ESPN > SI.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-26-2008, 11:08 AM
If you have the internet, are magazines really that useful? Playboy i can see, but, most other news you can find on their websites.

Bills2083
07-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Since I'm an ESPN subscriber, do I get ESPN Insider?

07-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Since I'm an ESPN subscriber, do I get ESPN Insider?

Yes sir, might as well make full use of your subscription if eligible.

fischbowl
07-26-2008, 11:22 AM
I get Baseball America

Bills2083
07-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Yes sir, might as well make full use of your subscription if eligible.

Well I tried signing up for Insider the one day, and they said that I had to pay extra money...

07-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Well I tried signing up for Insider the one day, and they said that I had to pay extra money...

Oh, well if I remember correctly when I had ESPN I was entitled to register for the Insider free of charge as long as I renewed my subscription for the following year. I could be mistaken though.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2008, 11:38 AM
If you have the internet, are magazines really that useful? Playboy i can see, but, most other news you can find on their websites.

It depends on how in depth you want an article to be. Magazines generally have more of a screening process, have more in-depth articles from trained journalists, and have the type of recourses to invest in their stories. It really just depends on the quality of article you want.

Brent
07-26-2008, 11:58 AM
It depends on how in depth you want an article to be. Magazines generally have more of a screening process, have more in-depth articles from trained journalists, and have the type of recourses to invest in their stories. It really just depends on the quality of article you want.
Newsweek is way more in-depth and better in print, their website is more timely but not as detailed.

jayceheathman
07-26-2008, 01:27 PM
I used to subscribe to Robb Report although I cant afford anything in there. It would give insperation to do well in school though.

oldLibid21
07-26-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm planning on re-subscribing for SI or Sporting News, SLAM, and I think that'll be the only two magazines I subscribe to. Magazines like FHM and Playboy, I'll end up storing, and I'm worried about running out of space when I collect magazines.

I collect SI magazines as well and am also running out. Looks like I'll have to throw them away soon. I did keep the newspaper where it said the Giants won the Super Bowl. The header was "Giant Upset".

CJSchneider
07-26-2008, 03:20 PM
I also collect sports memorabilia, I have stacks of magazines just because of who is on the cover. BTW I have every Beckett Baseball price guide published going back to November of 1988. I also have their first football, basketball and future stars issues as well.

KCJ58
07-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Sports Illustrated and ESPN

(but i don't pay for it) :)

P-L
07-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Currently, I only subscribe to Sports Illustrated but I'll probably switch to ESPN when my subscription runs out (mainly for Insider). I used to subscribe to PSM.