PDA

View Full Version : Professional Athletes, Celebrities, Famous People That You Met

TheBuffaloBills
07-27-2008, 09:47 PM
I am sure everyone here has met an athlete or celebrity before... Say where you met them and what were they like.... Were they a jerk, or were they cool.

Thoughts?

TheBuffaloBills
07-27-2008, 09:52 PM
I met A-Rod at a lobby of the player hotel during the 2006 All-Star game. He was a complete jerk. Like 10 little kids ran up to him and patiently waited for him to get off the his cell phone. Then he pointed to 2 kids and gave them autographs. The rest were left with nothing.

That night I rode on the team bus for the all-star team...... I sat directly across of Barry Zito, who was accompanied by two ladies.

bantx
07-27-2008, 09:55 PM
first post is ur own nice

Xonraider
07-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Mariano Rivera having chinese breakfast

slightlyaraiderfan
07-27-2008, 10:01 PM
I've met Jay Leno, Tony Hawk, and Sarah Jessica Parker...on the same night.

kwilk103
george brett when he was drunk

49ersfan_87
I didnt really meet him, but Mariano Rivera came to my elementary school around 96-97. I remember we were called for an assembly, and i was sitting there talking to my friends. Out of nowhere Rivera appeared and i was extremely happy because i was a huge yankees fan when i was young. He answered questions from the students. I was too chicken to go up and ask him a question, but i dont think i would have said anything coherent anyways other than go yankees. But he seemed very nice and he is still one of my favorite players ever.

Xonraider
07-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I didnt really meet him, but Mariano Rivera came to my elementary school around 96-97. I remember we were called for an assembly, and i was sitting there talking to my friends. Out of nowhere Rivera appeared and i was extremely happy because i was a huge yankees fan when i was young. He answered questions from the students. I was too chicken to go up and ask him a question, but i dont think i would have said anything coherent anyways other than go yankees. But he seemed very nice and he is still one of my favorite players ever.

Well, I've met him but he's certainly not a nice guy...

I was at the chinese restaurant here in Panama and said hi to him, that I was a big fan and asked for an autograph. Then again, he was with his family, what else was he supposed to do?

Then he went to my aunts office, she works at an insurance company. People approached him and he was very rude blowing them off and ignoring them. When asked for autographs he said no because he didn't have time and apparently didn't do it in a nice matter.

MetSox17
07-27-2008, 10:07 PM
I met Michael Irvin once at the Galleria in Dallas. Got an autograph from him on an autograph football, but he was really rude, despite the fact that i asked him very quietly and politely for his autograph.

slightlyaraiderfan
07-27-2008, 10:09 PM
I see a lot of movie, music people around over here...but I don't bother them.

djp
07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
A couple things here.

I met Vlad Guerrero at a Twins game. He was signing autographs and I am a pretty good Spanish speaker. I yelled his name and told him he was my favorite player in Spanish and he walked right up to me and thanked me. He signed my glove and my Angels hat.

About a year later I had Twins tickets, first row, right above the bullpen down the left field line. The Twins were getting killed and One Pitch Juan Rincon was left in the pen by himself. My buddy wanted a dip, and left his tin in my car, and the Twins had like 30 Copenhagen's just unopened right next to Juan. I asked him in Spanish if I could get a dip from a tin and he called me an idiot and moved seats.

From that day forward, I have hated Juan Rincon.

skinzzfan25
07-27-2008, 10:17 PM
I've met Gilbert Arenas and a bunch of other Wizards at an autograph signing. Plus a few other former and current Redskins in or around DC.

Also when I was in New York I was walking out of the ESPN Zone and bumped into (literally) Dan Patrick. I didn't notice it at the time but then I was like "wdf that was Dan Patrick."

Hopefully in about 2 weeks I'll get to meet the Panthers GM Marty Hurney who went to high school here in MD with my neighbor.

islandboy843
07-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Greg Jones lived in my neighborhood so i hang with him alot.

fischbowl
07-27-2008, 10:22 PM
I've met most Twins players. The nicest was by far Torii Hunter, but Nick Punto, Joe Nathan, Matt LeCroy, and Grant Balfour were especially personable.

Juan Rincon speaks good English, djp.

I've met Brian Moorman and he was awesome. Talked to him for a long time when I was working at training camp

Jensen
07-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I got to talk with Ryane Clowe for awhile when the Sharks came to play the Hurricanes two years ago. He was a real nice guy, funny too. He actually asked me if I wanted him to sign my Sharks jersey and hat.

Wootylicous
07-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I've met a lot of hockey players and baseball players. I would say that Russell Martin, Philippe Aumont, Vlad and Pedro Martinez were the nicest. Oh I met GSP and Patrick Coté both are manbeast.

djp
07-27-2008, 10:33 PM
I've met most Twins players. The nicest was by far Torii Hunter, but Nick Punto, Joe Nathan, Matt LeCroy, and Grant Balfour were especially personable.

Juan Rincon speaks good English, djp.

I've met Brian Moorman and he was awesome. Talked to him for a long time when I was working at training camp

Never heard him speak English.

Brothgar
07-27-2008, 10:35 PM
I have met the one the only

http://www.southernseason.com/graphics/newsletter/Morimoto.jpg

Iron Chef Japanese Morimoto. I met him in his philly restaurant he was really cool signed an autograph menue and took a picture with me. Morimoto is awesome.

I also met TO at an open practice of the the Adirondack Wildcats he was also pretty cool with the fans there.

Im_a_Romosexual
07-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Chris Farley when he was alive. I was like 8, so I don't really remember what happened.

Few Brewers back when they were terrible and some Badgers most notably Joe Thomas who was a good guy.

Brent
07-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Larry Allen - in Dallas, he lives across the street from my friend.
Jason Witten - lives on my parents' street.
Lee Trevino - he was waiting to do jury duty, too.
Deion Sanders - when I worked at Petsmart he came in and bought 200 live crickets for his "backyard pond".
Pete Hunter - also while working at Petsmart, this was when he was drafted by Dallas, he bought a $3500 fish tank and a bunch of expensive fish.
Chad Hutchinson - he came in to order breakfast where my and my friends were eating and he was really nice
Emmitt Smith - came to the same place as mentioned above and bought enough breakfast sandwiches for the entire Cowboys team for their film session that morning.

That's all I can remember

EDIT: current TAMU athletes I have met: Acie Law, Martellus Bennett, Jerrod Johnson, Pierre Brown, Terrance McCoy and a couple others but none of them are noteworthy guys.

jayceheathman
07-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Chris Farley when he was alive. I was like 8, so I don't really remember what happened.

Few Brewers back when they were terrible and some Badgers most notably Joe Thomas who was a good guy.

I would hope so. ;)

HChu
07-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Alexander Ovechkin, and he was a great guy.

Smokey Joe
07-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Just Tom Zbikowski and the Giants starting LT David Diehl.

WMD
07-27-2008, 11:12 PM
I see a lot of movie, music people around over here...but I don't bother them.

You are a pompous ass.

WMD
07-27-2008, 11:17 PM
I haven't ever met a celebrity outside of some wrestler autograph signings.. This was all quite a while ago but I've got autographs from Shawn Michaels, Road Warriors, and Rick Steiner (Scott Steiner was supposed to be there but didn't show up). I also got an autograph from Mastamind; a rapper from Detroit, member of the group NATAS.

CLong4Heisman
07-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Omar Minaya in LaGuardia airport a week after the Santana trade. It was 4:30 in the morning so I didnt ask for an autograph but I told him nice trade and he said thanks.

Steve Smith of Carolina- hates when people go to his door, he actually called the cops once.

MOTU
07-27-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm constantly amazed at what people expect of celebrities. How is a guy like Alex Rodriguez going to sign every autograph asked of him? He probably gets hundreds of requests every time he steps out his front door.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-27-2008, 11:45 PM
I always thought the autograph thing was silly anyway. Some situations I can understand, but overall I think it's pretty ridiculous.

Um, I've sold books to Robin Williams and Sean Penn. I had a conversation with Carlos Santana at a high school volleyball game. I've briefly met George Lucas. I guess that's about it. I've met some local athletes (Bonds, Zito, etc.), but not in any extensive capacity.

Vikes99ej
07-27-2008, 11:52 PM
I met Kevin Williams and some other Vikings at training camp. Got his autograph on my authentic jersey. Highlight of my summer.

slightlyaraiderfan
07-27-2008, 11:54 PM
You are a pompous ass.
You are a pom pom-wearing ass.

jballa838
07-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Mike Karney. He's awesome

Twiddler
07-28-2008, 12:04 AM
This thread reminds me of how much of a hicktown I live in. I honestly cannot remember one time where I met someone famous. Maybe I saw a local news anchor once.

CJSchneider
07-28-2008, 12:12 AM
This is gonna be a long post.

I grew up only 5 hours drive from SF, so I went to tons of A's, Giants (baseball) and 49er (football) games. You name the player from those teams circa 86-90, Ive met them and probably have an autograph. Carney Lansford, the A's 3rd baseman at the time, was by far the coolest. He stood there and talked to my uncle and I for at least 15 minutes about geology (my uncle is a geologist), just a real cool guy.

I met Jason Kidd when I was a junior in HS and he was a senior at the state basketball championship in California. I have a polaroid pic of him, me and a few friends. He was very mature at that age and was very cool.

I met two people whom most feel are jerks, but were very nice to me and even signed autographs. The two guys were Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. Two seperate occasions (both at the ball park), but they had one thing in common. I called them Mr Bonds and Mr. Clemens when others called them by their first name only or "Rocket" or "B-dawg"
(Respect is a two way street - but I digress).

When I was in the Army, going home for leave one December, as I walked through the terminal, I saw a familiar face. I approached the man from behind and said, "arent you...". "Don't say it" he replied "gimme something to write on". I handed him an itinerary, he signed it, smiled and said "Have a good flight." The man - George Wendt aka Norm from Cheers.

Bobby Hebert went to the same college as I did in Louisiana, Northwestern State University (Fork 'em Demons - Fork 'em All). As I was in ROTC in college, I was on a detail in which after each score (Touchdown, Extra Point, Field Goal or Safety) we would fire a canon (blanks of course). At our homecoming game my junior year, Mr. Hebert came over to the ROTC group and signed autographs and talked to us for a few minutes. He did seem a little high on himself.

SuperMcGee
07-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Keeping it to people I've had actual conversations with, it's all athletes:

Brian Moorman - just an awesome guy
Matt Barnaby - another cool guy that I've probably talked to more than any other famous person
Patrick Kaleta - played hockey with us sometimes, not in a while, though (damn big shots)
Antoine Winfield - great guy, kind of reserved, really nice
Lawyer Milloy - hilarious, a lot of fun
Tim Connolly - I think he ended up banging this girl I hate. Dude had a fu manchu

I know guys in ETID and have had conversations with members of assorted bands, but not much to write home about.

Borat
07-28-2008, 12:22 AM
I used to cover the Oakland A's minor league team that used to be in Modesto. Lots of pros were on that team. Bobby Crosby, Jeremy Bonderman, Dan Johnson, Neal Cotts, Mike Wood. Also met Noah Lowry and Seth McClung. And Jermaine Dye did a rehab assignment there for a few days. He was really a nice guy and very friendly with the media.

In college I met a ton of athletes. Most notable I guess would have been Shawn Marion.

jayceheathman
07-28-2008, 01:02 AM
I had batting lessons and my family is friends with Jessie Barfield. I got a ride to school from Josh Barfield. The youngest son just got drafted by the A's this last draft.

bearsfan_51
07-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Met Walter Payton a few times when I was a kid through my pops, which is why I'm a Bears fan.

Met Lebron James a few times, total ass.

Met John Kerry through my job.

Hung out with Mos Def backstage before he became real famous. Total opposite of Lebron James.

Still hoping to meet Jesus.

Oh and I almost forgot Charlie Frye, who is a childhood friend. I guess he really doesn't count as famous anymore.

Punisher
07-28-2008, 01:17 AM
I met Chuck Norris at the premiere party of my friend Mariano Mendoza's movie "Red Canvas" last night.

kwilk103
07-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Met Walter Payton a few times when I was a kid through my pops, which is why I'm a Bears fan.

Hung out with Mos Def backstage before he became real famous. Total opposite of Lebron James.

Oh and I almost forgot Charlie Frye, who is a childhood friend. I guess he really doesn't count as famous anymore.

Tim Tebow? Scott Wright?

WMD
07-28-2008, 01:37 AM
Tim Tebow? Scott Wright?

Walter Herrmann

jayceheathman
07-28-2008, 01:47 AM
Jordy Nelson

Fixed it for you.

A Perfect Score
07-28-2008, 02:02 AM
I met Ricky Williams when he was playing for the Argos up here in Toronto...not nearly as big of a dick or an anti social as many imagine. In fact, he was pretty funny and very humble. Very soft spoken. Ive also met Mike Myers up here in Toronto and pretty much all of the Argos and Raptors. TJ Ford was a riot when he was here.

BlindSite
07-28-2008, 03:13 AM

I'm still a fan of his. Always thought he was worth a look, sucks he's in seattle and didn't get to a team that needed a QB.

I've met:

Darren Lockyer won't mean much to anyone american, but he's the equivalent of Peyton Manning in Rugby League. He was a really cool guy. Also met Johnathen Thurston he is to lockyer what Brady is to Peyton in rugby league. Met Brent tate too.

Got an autograph from Tana Umanga too when I was wearing a hurricane's shirt on the goldcoast going to buy some beer, he recognised it and came up to ME to shake my hand and say thanks for supporting the team.

I've also met Bjorn from Soilwork, Corey Taylor from Stonesour / Slipknot last year and Rob Zombie when I was 12.

I've also spent over an hour talking with our current prime minister Kevin Rudd 3 years ago in a coffee shop with another student from our school. He was a really nice guy, he had no reason to bother with us, he could've gone home to his family, but he took the time to talk to two economics students about politics etc. Really cool guy.

themaninblack
07-28-2008, 03:43 AM
I've met some Bengals players most notably Rudi Johnson, Shayne Graham(came to my school), and Leon Hall. All of them were real cool n Leon Hall is a very humble and intelligent guy. I talked with him in the airport for about 20 minutes one time.

The biggest thrill I had meeting an athlete however was Anthony Munoz. Being an offensive lineman it was a true honor to shake his hand. I told him he's the greatest of all time n he signed my Bengals hat. He is gigantic and was really cool especially since we were heading into a Bengals game and everyone was coming up to him. I also told him I play at a local college just outside Cincy n he asked me about it. He knows my OC personally.

OSUGiants17
07-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Lawrence Taylor, Kevin Boss, Terrell Davis, Jason Giambi, Ryan Howard. All extreamly nice.

cdub11
07-28-2008, 09:36 AM
met Barry Switzer in a bar, despite being a sooner he was a very cool guy :)

met snoop dogg in south padre during spring break, very cool

met PJ Brown & JR Smith when the Hornets were in OKC. both were really ncie

met Johnny Damon & Jermaine Dye when they were in the minors, they were both very nice and signed autographs

met Nolan Ryan when I was a kid and he was a JERK

met Vince Neil in an airport, he was a dick

Sniper
07-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Wayne Gretzky, Peter Stastny, Anton Stastny, Marion Stastny, Paul Stastny, Vlad Guerrero, Jose Vidro, Pedro Martinez, Jean Beliveau, Maurice Richard, Marc-Edouard Vlasic (played hockey with him. That's all I can think of right now.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-28-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm just curious, why are you guys calling some of these athletes jerks? Is it because they wouldn't sign something, or something else? I could understand not wanting to sign something all the time as an athlete.

The best one I've met is definately Jose Reyes. I went to 3 seperate games and got autographs from him. The 2nd and 3rd time, he remembered me and we had a couple of conversations. One time he was stretching in the outfield and I called his name, shot a wave, and he did the head raise thing and came over to talk. Very cool guy. Pretty much exactly what you'd imagine from how he plays the game. Very energetic.

Ed Kranepool at an autograph signing. Now he was a jackass. You paid to come and chat with him and for him to sign. It was early on in the session, and he talked to nobody, except for his friend or security guard that was by him. He just signed and handed the ball off. Not even a hand shake, or eye contact really.

Ryan Howard. Another cool guy. Back in the minors atleast. Took time to sign stuff, talked to you, and always seemed to have a smile.

Joe McEwing and Al Leiter too. Once again, sociable guys who were willing to talk, sign, whatever.

There's more that I've just strictly gotten autos from, but didn't even bother to chat much.

Brent
07-28-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm just curious, why are you guys calling some of these athletes jerks? Is it because they wouldn't sign something, or something else? I could understand not wanting to sign something all the time as an athlete.
I know all the times that I have met athletes it's usually because they were in line for food in front/behind me & my friends, at work or because they were neighbors. I would feel like a jerk walking up to someone doing their own thing and asking for an autograph, I can understand them wanting to be left alone. Personally, I just want to meet them, I dont get the appeal in autographs.

Bills2083
07-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I met Darryl Talley at an airport in Miami. He was nice, and he signed something for my mom.

I have met most of the Bills at training camp, but I remember one time the most. I went to TC with my friend and everybody was pushing to get McGahee's autograph. Luckily, where I was standing, Willis came right up to me. My friend got his autograph, and so did a few other people. Now, I was around 12 or 13 at the time (I'm 16 now), and some huge, middle-aged guy started pushing me all over the place so he could get McGahee's autograph. Willis looked right at me and said, "Since you're getting pushed around, I'll sign your football." He signed it, and I was the last person to get his signature because the Security Guards said it was getting too rough, so they had him leave. I became a McGahee fan after that day.

TheBuffaloBills
07-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Bobby from Hells Kitchen works at the Wegmans near my house..... He is a big dude.

scottyboy
07-28-2008, 11:24 AM
I consider myself fortunate. My aunt is a travel agent, and started with her first ever client, a guy named Michael Strahan. Dude is awesome. From him, her client list just grew like crazy. Whole bunch of Giants(mainly backups, but still). So I've met MANY of them, but when I was little, like 10 or so. Went into the Giants locker room after the NFCCG romp over the Vikings. Met guys like Strahan and others there. TONS of guys. Met Harry Carson and Fassel, both really cool dudes. Ron Dayne's nice too. One of my favorites is Ron Stone. One time, when I was around 11 or 12, my aunt set me up on 3 way call with her and Stone and his wife. I was playing Madden and told him I recently extended him to a massive deal and he and his wife laughed. They were awesome.

Will James bought my aunt her dog, calls the dog his daughter and my aunt his white wife... Will Allen also gave me a signed authentic jersey, and delieved the same only an Osi jersey to my aunt. Osi is the man too. He's really a goofball really. Nice guy, loves to joke around. Really cool. Amani Toomer is the same. Laid back kind of guy will really talk to anyone.

Couple others are Marcus Buckley(backup LB) gave me an authentic jersey(i don't really know who he is lol), Sam Garnes was awesome too(safety). 2 of the best though are former Giants center Derek Engler. He sent me a Christmas card telling me he was getting married and stuff. I knew before my aunt did lol. He sent me some autographed pictures. He and Ron Stone were awesome, but ******* massive! Jessie Armstead, my favorite player of all time is the man. He's opening a car dealership and offered me like less than half price on a car when it opens. He gave me an autogrpahed Giants and Redskins jersey. He's the man, he really is.

At my grandpa's recent funeral, Will James, Strahan, Dwight Freeny and Armstead all sent flowers. They're all great guys who knew my grandpa. Freeney sent a Colts symbol flowers and Jessie a Giants helmet. Pretty cool.

Couple other of my aunts clients include: Jason Taylor, Terrell Suggs, Losman, Tommy Kelly, Cooley and more that I can't think of right now.

I also stalk Brian Leonard and Raymell Rice

Bills2083
07-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Scottyboy, you are extremely lucky to be able to be friends with NFL players.

YAYareaRB
07-28-2008, 01:18 PM
I live in the same town as:

Herman Edwards - HC Chiefs
Tony Curtis - TE Cowboys
Ron Rivera - LB Coach Chargers

Two weeks ago I met Scott Fujita. He bought a house in one of the nice neighborhoods out here and works out at my school.

UKfan
07-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Mainly just soccer players or ex-soccer players for me.

I can't believe some of the people in this though, I hate you woot and Blindsite, meeting GSP and Lockyer would be KICKASS!

djp
07-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Scotty,

throw up the U if you ever see Jessie Armstead again, for me.

scottyboy
07-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Scotty,

throw up the U if you ever see Jessie Armstead again, for me.

haha will do.

I love Jessie, he's the ******* man.

oh and I forgot this: Dwight Freeney never wears the same pair of underwear/boxers twice.

same with the artist formally known as Will Peterson with socks. just interstnig tidbits I felt I'd share :D

YAYareaRB
07-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I've met Rey Maualuga. He's a cool guy, we drank kava together. Deuce Lutui is my brother in law's first cousin and I met him at the USC vs Cal game. Fiji, the singer, is my first cousin. I've met and sat across from Alex Smith on an airplane.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-28-2008, 04:14 PM
haha will do.

I love Jessie, he's the ******* man.

oh and I forgot this: Dwight Freeney never wears the same pair of underwear/boxers twice.

same with the artist formally known as Will Peterson with socks. just interstnig tidbits I felt I'd share :D

Tell Terrell Suggs to come to Atlanta for me.

P-L
07-28-2008, 05:30 PM
I met Barry Sanders at a record store about 10 or 11 years ago. He was pretty cool.

A lot of the Pistons used to stop at the grocery store I worked at. Darko and Mehmet Okur were there all the time. Darko always had two chicks with him every time he came in, although I can't remember if they were the same two or different ones each time. Rasheed stopped in a few times, and I also met him at the Best Buy near my house. Chauncy and his family also came in one time and spent $400.00 on groceries. Finally former Piston and current Shock assistant coach Rick Mahorn was usually in once or twice a month.

Former Redwing and NHL Hall of Famer Ted Lindsay used to live in my subdivision and almost every day in the summer he'd rollerblade around the subdivision for about an hour. He's a real nice guy.

trkaline
07-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Tell Terrell Suggs to come to Atlanta for me.

Don't listen to this guy, he's confused...

MetSox17
07-28-2008, 11:27 PM
I met Ricky Williams when he was playing for the Argos up here in Toronto...not nearly as big of a dick or an anti social as many imagine. In fact, he was pretty funny and very humble. Very soft spoken. Ive also met Mike Myers up here in Toronto and pretty much all of the Argos and Raptors. TJ Ford was a riot when he was here.

Whoever thinks that Ricky Williams is a dick, is completely wrong He's probably the most humble guy in the whole league, despite being so beastly. A ton of friends met him when he was still in Austin, and they all say the same thing... That he's just a cool, down to earth guy. Listen to his Heisman speech.

ALD
07-29-2008, 01:24 AM
I almost went to dinner with senator Rockefeller

jayceheathman
07-29-2008, 01:54 AM
Whoever thinks that Ricky Williams is a dick, is completely wrong He's probably the most humble guy in the whole league, despite being so beastly. A ton of friends met him when he was still in Austin, and they all say the same thing... That he's just a cool, down to earth guy. Listen to his Heisman speech.

He was probably high at each of the times your friends met him.

Donno
07-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Fighters Ive trained with - Urijah Faber, Nick and Nate Diaz
Jon Kingdon - Head Scout of Oakland Raiders
Desean Jackson, Steve Baker
Megadeth, Tony Iommi, Slipknot (man they are terrible now), and more i cant remember

703SKINS202
07-29-2008, 02:33 AM
Saw Chris Carter at the Atlantis casino playing blackjack in 07. Bunch of European people were around so nobody really knew who he was. When he caught me staring at him from about 10 yards away he gave me the biggest evil eye ever and had security push me aside. True story.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Don't listen to this guy, he's confused...

We already have two DE, but I just love Suggs, haha.

palm beach county 561
07-30-2008, 05:43 PM
i was at a party with sean taylor...guy went hard and was really cool, chilled with everybody at the party

that's the most memorable for me just because of what happened