PDA

View Full Version : ***Training Camp Thread***

PalmerToCJ
07-28-2008, 05:55 PM
We'll just use this for general tidbits coming out of the draft. Obviously some stories will be thread quality but I'll just put whatever nuggets of info I find on here...

Willie Anderson is the man. Talks about how he doesn't mind backing up Andrews and that he's going to fight for the starting spot. We need guys like him, Paul Alexander basically said he wouldn't doubt him starting against Baltimore. If he's healthy I don't see him not starting.

Antwan Odom has a sprained foot, not sure how long that keeps him out but things sounded bad earlier so I'm relieved.

Some stuff from Lance McAlister's blog:

*Best sight of the day: Chris Perry showing burst and cut back ability. He wasn't wearing a brace, wrap, sleeve, cast or anything else.
*Best pass plays: Carson 25 yards down the middle to TE Nate Lawrie.
Carson 40 yards down the sideline to Andre Caldwell
Carson swing pass to C. Perry
Defensive plays made: DE Angelo Craig dropping and tipping a pass. LB Ahmad Brooks with a pick. DB David Jones with a tip that drew "ahhhhs' from the crowd.
Bodies noticed: Dang do the Bengals have long and lanky WR's. ...Marcus Maxwell 6'3, Maurice Purify 6'3. Jerome SImpson has tooth pick legs. Mario Urrutia is huge...6'5 232.
Odom is tall and lean and quick...reminds me of Jevon Kearse.

Jeremi Johnson is on the non-football related injured list, due to being overweight. Chad and DeDe are the only other two to not practice.

And to end it on a good quote from Marvin:
"We keep spending all this time on the knuckleheads instead of on the good guys; that's a problem," Lewis said. "When you spend all your time coaching knuckleheads and not spending the right amount of time with the right players in the right direction because you're putting out fires over here, putting out fires over there ... ."

themaninblack
07-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Pretty encouraging first day aside from Odom's injury. I hope Ahmad shows some darn progress.

PalmerToCJ
07-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping for plenty of Ahmad updates.

I've read 3 different takes and all of them are very CAUTIOUSLY optimistic about Perry. Sounds like he's his old self (which also means he's a slight bump from the IR).

All I've seen on Odom is that Marvin, "expects him to be ready for the opener".

I've gotta say I'm interested to see what Frostee does with the DE spot, I've heard a lot of encouraging things about him.

themaninblack
07-29-2008, 01:00 AM
I think Frostee could play a big role this year as well. He could rotate at either DE spot.

Perry is due for a healthy return.

BengalMedic
07-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Being out of out state, any updates on the training camp are MORE than welcomed !!! Thanks !!!

PalmerToCJ
07-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Mark Curnette stuff, he's the man...

-- Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has the biggest job and is the single most important person here. If he can use all of his experience and put some decent pieces in the right places, the Bengals might have a chance. Zimmer is an impressive coach whose demanding ways should only help elevate the defense.

-- If you're a fantasy football player, take a serious look at drafting tailback Rudi Johnson. His legs appear to be turbo-charged. He worked specifically on his legs in the offseason. He says he's at 230 pounds, up from 212 last season, and that the hamstring that cost him five games is healed. He is bigger and faster. He could get back to 1,500-yard, 12-touchdown range.

-- Just because Antwan Odom's left foot is not broken doesn't mean he couldn't be out for quite a while.

-- Frostee Rucker, stand and deliver. Talent hasn't been his problem. The injuries were brought on by less-than-ideal work habits and a poor offseason attitude.

-- I wish I had T.J. Houshmandzadeh's level of self-confidence.

-- Willie Anderson is one athlete who is worthy of emulation. His grace in this graceless age is admirable. It's difficult not to root for him to do well.

-- The young defensive secondary could have a very good year. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph, if he can hold onto most of the passes he is going to get his hands on, could leap into the Pro Bowl. He's that good.

Progress being made on Rivers, I would hope so.

Oklahoma drill summary....

Many of the matches were draws, with both players doing their jobs.

Some were not.

Tight end Reggie Kelly pushed linebacker Rashad Jeanty to the outside.

Safety Chinedum Ndukwe got the best of wide receiver Antonio Chatman.

Rookie wide receiver Andre Caldwell impressively moved cornerback Johnathan Joseph out of the way.

Right tackle Stacy Andrews moved rookie defensive tackle Jason Shirley 15 yards downfield with a lightning-fast start. Welcome to the NFL Jason Shirley LOL

Most entertaining, though, was the enthusiastic response of first-year defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer when a defensive player performed well. Zimmer was all over them, slapping their backs and rear end and top of the helmet.

The link to his blog (I'll keep posting the stuff on here):
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog09

Bengalsrocket
07-29-2008, 09:36 PM
-- If you're a fantasy football player, take a serious look at drafting tailback Rudi Johnson. His legs appear to be turbo-charged. He worked specifically on his legs in the offseason. He says he's at 230 pounds, up from 212 last season, and that the hamstring that cost him five games is healed. He is bigger and faster. He could get back to 1,500-yard, 12-touchdown range.

this is good news for me. Hopefully I can pick him up in the 3rd or 4th round of my 10 player league I do with friends every year.

themaninblack
07-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Hope Shirley can pick things up. Then again, getting demolished by Stacey will be a common occurrence this season.

BengalMedic
07-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Don't really understand the hype over Stacey pushing Shirley around... Isn't that what is suppose to happen when a veteran (who's HUGE) goes against the rookie who needs the most development ?? If it happened the other way around, I would be VERY concerned seeing as how Stacey is slotted as the starter...

Great news updates though, thanks !!!

Bengalsrocket
07-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Don't really understand the hype over Stacey pushing Shirley around... Isn't that what is suppose to happen when a veteran (who's HUGE) goes against the rookie who needs the most development ?? If it happened the other way around, I would be VERY concerned seeing as how Stacey is slotted as the starter...

Great news updates though, thanks !!!

Stacy didn't play much college ball, and he's still pretty young. I don't know that I would consider him a veteran in the experience department. But either way, I think the reason it was mentioned is because no one should be giving up 15 yards in the Oklahoma Drill.

themaninblack
07-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Also if you guys want to read a good blog, check out Chick Ludwig's over at daytondailynews.com. I usually read both his and Curnutte's everyday.

EDIT: Is anyone going to go to training camp this year? I know for sure I'm going on Friday for the scrimmage and I'd like to go another time.

PalmerToCJ
07-31-2008, 12:27 AM
I'd like to go but I always say that and never do... If I can get some tail to come with me then maybe.

Nothing big out of today... Apparently Marvin White likes talking trash to Chad. Major bonus points for him.

Everything I've read says look out for Rudi...

I'm still not sure who'll be returning kicks, they're working Caldwell/Simpson at that spot but it has to be on a backup basis.

Nice to hear about Ethan Kilmer again (I forgot about him too)... He was the man in '06.

themaninblack
07-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Having EK back is huge. His special teams play is amazing.

you should go friday PTCJ! I'll be there.

Hines
07-31-2008, 12:44 AM
Who is taking over for Odam while he is out? How long is he out for? Also, how is the linebacking corps coming along? Is Brooks moving to the middle?

PalmerToCJ
07-31-2008, 01:04 AM
Who is taking over for Odam while he is out? How long is he out for? Also, how is the linebacking corps coming along? Is Brooks moving to the middle?

Frostee Rucker is taking Odom's spot for now. No timetable on Odom's injury, I've heard anywhere from day-to-day to "he'll be ready for Baltimore".

Dhani Jones is starting in the middle. As of now Rashad Jeanty is at SLB with Ahmad backing him up. It is my PURE assumption that if anything was to happen to Jones that Ahmad would move to the middle (despite the depth chart).

I'm not sure if Ahmad is 100% yet with his injury or not, I know he's practicing so obviously he's pretty close but I'm not about to think he'll go all season as a backup SLB. Jones provides solid experience in the middle, I think Ahmad takes it over eventually. Jeanty is solid at SLB.

With all that said, our linebackers are still a question mark. So much of our defense hinges on potential which is bound to happen when you have so many young players. I will say I'm VERY confident in Joseph and Hall.

Hines
07-31-2008, 01:18 AM
Any news on the Rivers front? I think he would play Will, Brooks at Mike, and Jeanty at Sam. That is a good linebacking trio if you ask me.

themaninblack
07-31-2008, 01:39 AM
No word really on Rivers but yes the plan is to have him at Will, Dhani Jones at Mike, and Reshad Jeanty at SAM.

Brooks has had some trouble recovering from injury and has been moved to SAM. He is currently backing up Jeanty. News from camp regarding him has been rather encouraging. I, for one, expect him to be a starter/key contributor at some point this season.

Hines
07-31-2008, 09:20 AM
No word really on Rivers but yes the plan is to have him at Will, Dhani Jones at Mike, and Reshad Jeanty at SAM.

Brooks has had some trouble recovering from injury and has been moved to SAM. He is currently backing up Jeanty. News from camp regarding him has been rather encouraging. I, for one, expect him to be a starter/key contributor at some point this season.

If Brooks comes back from injury, would he be the SLB? I would move him to Mike, but thats just me.

BengalMedic
07-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Brooks will be a backup to start the season at the SAM. They had him at Mike, but Dhani will get the start. Brooks has been fighting through his injury and (at least by my account) hasn't been smart enough to progress in the playbook.

Hopefully this year it will click for him because he is a beast, but if all you bring to the table is size without smarts, you are going to struggle...

themaninblack
07-31-2008, 10:38 AM
If Brooks comes back from injury, would he be the SLB? I would move him to Mike, but thats just me.

I want him at Mike too but that doesn't look like its going to happen. Best thing you can do with him is just get him on the field n tell him what to do n let him play. He's not ********, but he's no Carson Palmer either.

PalmerToCJ
07-31-2008, 08:55 PM
James Johnson is really impressing. I've heard several people praise him including Carson...

"I can't wait to watch JJ -- No. 39 on offense play. He's Warrick Dunn -- great hands, explosively fast, really exciting guy to watch," Palmer said. "I can’t wait to watch Brandon Johnson play, he’s been the MVP of camp so far. He’s made unbelievable plays on defense. There’s a number of guys. I want to see Darryl Blackstock play, he looks the part. I haven’t seen him play because he hasn’t gotten the chance yet. And us as a unit on offense."

Chad is about ready to start practicing, oh joy.

themaninblack
07-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Chick Ludwig is very high on James Johnson as well. I'll get to see him 2moro to make my evaluation but Chick doesn't hand out praise very easily. Brandon Johnson intrigues me a lot. He's got great size and speed. Wonder if we could make Johnson or Blackstock a MLB at some point to replace Dhani.

themaninblack
08-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Couple thoughts from last night's scrimmage:

Brandon Johnson(WLB) is legit. He was in on almost every single play including a few nice stops for loss. If they could get him to play MLB in the future our LB corps is STACKED.

James Johnson(RB) is also a player to be reckoned with. He has some speed, quickness, and outstanding vision. In a stacked backfield he may not make the cut but he probably should. Saw him doing some punt returns and he could definitely do that if he wants.

Chris Perry is BACK! He was probably the best player on the field during that scrimmage that lacked the big stars(aside from Palmer, of course). Making catches, stretching the field, and even getting the tough yards up the middle.

The defense looked fast and like they had a purpose for once.

PalmerToCJ
08-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks MIB. Johnson impressing at WLB has got me thinking about any potential of him to MLB or Rivers to MLB. Dhani is a rock, I'll give him that he shows up every Sunday and he knows what's going on. I'd just like some more long term comfort at MLB *Cough* Ahmad *Cough*.

We'll be fine at RB this year, it seems, which is comforting. Especially Perry. Those little swing passes to him were HUGE in '05.

themaninblack
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Perry being healthy is so important. I still think I'm better at Center than Eric Ghiaciuc is though.

StripedWalrus
08-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks MIB. Johnson impressing at WLB has got me thinking about any potential of him to MLB or Rivers to MLB. Dhani is a rock, I'll give him that he shows up every Sunday and he knows what's going on. I'd just like some more long term comfort at MLB *Cough* Ahmad *Cough*.

We'll be fine at RB this year, it seems, which is comforting. Especially Perry. Those little swing passes to him were HUGE in '05.

Im hoping that one of the DT's we got this year will work out...this way we can search MLB in the draft next year...

PalmerToCJ
08-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Heard from someone else that went. Had the same impression of Ghiaciuc, said the Oline looked great.... Except for Ghiaciuc.

Everyone's impressed with Brandon Johnson and Hall/JJ.

Said Jerome Simpson and Carson were working together a lot. Maxwell could surprise and seems the clear cut #3 at this point.

Nice quote from Zimmer after the Defense beat the offense in the scrimmage:

“I thought they did what I asked them,” defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said. “I said if you make a mistake make it full speed. Play hard. And we've been stressing all week, tackling. We surrounded the ball real well and played physical. I thought we did a decent job of stopping the run.”

Bengals78
08-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Heard from someone else that went. Had the same impression of Ghiaciuc, said the Oline looked great.... Except for Ghiaciuc.

DUHHHHHHHHH!!!!! lol
not surprised by that at all. I been saying C is a need. Maybe in next years draft...I believe Alex Mack is the top C correct?

themaninblack
08-03-2008, 09:37 PM
This is Ghiaciuc's final chance thats for sure. He got OWNED by a DT that I didn't even know was on the team. He's good at getting up field and getting a hat on LBers but thats about it. He needs to be apart of a double team at all times for the line to have any success this year. I'm not going to give up on him just yet, but he's hanging on by a thread.

PalmerToCJ
08-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Rich Braham is like 50 now, any chance he comes back lol. Seriously, our Oline got killed when he got injured. I can't believe they haven't brought in a strong backup or drafted someone to develop. Wilkerson doesn't count given the severity of his injury.

Ghiaciuc is just too small and doesn't run the line well. Our run game has suffered ever since he took over.

Bengalsrocket
08-04-2008, 03:00 AM
It sucks seeing our whole line be tore up because of Ghaicuic. I wish we could somehow move Anderson or Andrews to center; it sucks having two good RT's and no good center :(

PalmerToCJ
08-04-2008, 03:31 AM
I was hoping that somehow the whole Bobbie Williams to Center deal would've worked. That would've been PERFECT.

PalmerToCJ
08-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Depth chart changes...

Deltha to PR
Brooks down to 3rd at SLB, Blackstock to 2nd.
Rivers to 3rd at WLB, Johnson to 1st.
Jeremi Johnson to 4th at FB, Coats to 1st. Have to think Johnson gets cut.

Good info from Chick Ludwig...

FROM THE PRESS BOX & SIDELINES

LOOKING STRONG — Offensive tackle Stacy Andrews, quarterback Carson Palmer, wide receiver Antonio Chatman, tailback Chris Perry, weakside linebacker Brandon Johnson, middle linebacker Dhani Jones, cornerbacks Johnathan Joseph and Simeon Castille, defensive tackles Domata Peko and Michael Myers, strong safety Chinedum Ndukwe and free safety Corey Lynch.

LOOKING SOLID — Fullback Daniel Coats, wide receivers Marcus Maxwell, Glenn Holt and Jerome Simpson, defensive ends Frostee Rucker, Jonathan Fanene and Angelo Craig, defensive tackles John Thornton and Pat Sims, weakside linebacker Jim Maxwell, free safety Kyries Hebert, tight ends Nate Lawrie and Matt Sherry.

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT — All three backup quarterbacks, tailback James Johnson, cornerback Deltha O’Neal, outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks, safety John Busing, kicker Shayne Graham (converted 6 of 9 field goals on the weekend), wide receiver Andre Caldwell, tight end Ben Utecht, defensive tackle Jason Shirley.

StripedWalrus
08-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Depth chart changes...

Deltha to PR
Brooks down to 3rd at SLB, Blackstock to 2nd.
Rivers to 3rd at WLB, Johnson to 1st.
Jeremi Johnson to 4th at FB, Coats to 1st. Have to think Johnson gets cut.

Good info from Chick Ludwig...

FROM THE PRESS BOX & SIDELINES

LOOKING STRONG — Offensive tackle Stacy Andrews, quarterback Carson Palmer, wide receiver Antonio Chatman, tailback Chris Perry, weakside linebacker Brandon Johnson, middle linebacker Dhani Jones, cornerbacks Johnathan Joseph and Simeon Castille, defensive tackles Domata Peko and Michael Myers, strong safety Chinedum Ndukwe and free safety Corey Lynch.

LOOKING SOLID — Fullback Daniel Coats, wide receivers Marcus Maxwell, Glenn Holt and Jerome Simpson, defensive ends Frostee Rucker, Jonathan Fanene and Angelo Craig, defensive tackles John Thornton and Pat Sims, weakside linebacker Jim Maxwell, free safety Kyries Hebert, tight ends Nate Lawrie and Matt Sherry.

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT — All three backup quarterbacks, tailback James Johnson, cornerback Deltha O’Neal, outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks, safety John Busing, kicker Shayne Graham (converted 6 of 9 field goals on the weekend), wide receiver Andre Caldwell, tight end Ben Utecht, defensive tackle Jason Shirley.

Its not a good thing to hear that Brooks, Utecht and Caldwell need improvement.

PalmerToCJ
08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I wasn't sure why Utecht was on there. They've been raving about him lately and how he's a complete type TE.

Brooks and Caldwell I understand. I've heard mixed info on Caldwell and not much of anything on Ahmad which is disappointing.

Whitworth working at Center along with Williams.

themaninblack
08-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Whitworth working at Center along with Williams.

Where'd you see this?

PalmerToCJ
08-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Where'd you see this?

Curnette... http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog09&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac78cbe8a-2b47-436d-a33e-623f9b65de7cPost%3adcf0dc8b-4283-4f81-be65-d604b259bc64&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

I really really wish Bobbie Williams could work there, it would just be too perfect...

themaninblack
08-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Either one would be amazing for this offensive line. If we can get Stacey and Willie on the field at the same time with a decent Center our line would be unbelievable. Whitworth seems like he has the versatility to do it but his height kinda scares me.

BengalMedic
08-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Utecht being on that list is simply stupid and nothing more. You need not look any further than Carson going on and on about knowing he was good, "but not this good".

themaninblack
08-05-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm not worried about him he's in a new system n he's gonna struggle a little bit at the beginning. I just don't know how he went from looking unbelievable to needs improvement in about a day.

BengalMedic
08-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Nice to read about Carson and Utecht running routes by themselves after practice was over to go over things. I'm looking for big things from this offense this season with the addition of Utecht and a healthy line and RB corps...

toonsterwu
08-08-2008, 03:22 AM
I admittedly haven't followed much football in the last few months due to RL, but I can't help be somewhat intrigued with the Bengals entering the year. I think the AFC North is quite wide open, but it seems like the picks are largely Cleveland and Pittsburgh, albeit for very justifiable reasons. That said, I've always been a big fan of Zimmer's. A lot will come down to how quickly the young defensive pieces develop, but if they do, I think Zimmer will be able to scheme enough to contain the front. I like Odom, and I think he might be able to consistently do what he did last year, if not better. The DT's are still a bit of a question, but all they have to do is stuff the run. Any pass rush would be a bonus - stuffing the run is the main goal there. Offensively, a lot will rest on Rudi Johnson's health, but I like the OL depth, I like the additional receiver depth.

Dunno ... I just like this team on paper right now. Enough to pick them to wiin the AFC North? Dunno ... but I don't see anything too exceptional about Cleveland or Pittsburgh to make them slam dunks. Heck, if Baltimore got decent QB play, I think they could win it. I think it'll be much more wide open than people think (unless injuries happen).

BengalMedic
08-08-2008, 06:17 AM
I would agree with the thought of the AFCN being more of a race than people are currently considering. I would still put Pittsburgh as the favorites at the start, but there are questions for all teams.

I think enough of both the Bengals and Ravens that if things go their way, they have the chance to be right there with the Steelers and Browns. Anyone willing to write off the season with the potential that exists is just crazy. Are there unknowns ?? Yes, of course, but if those unknowns come to be a plus for the Bengals, we are right in it EASILY...

Bengalsrocket
08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I agree with AFC North being wide open. Hopefully next year will show browns / steelers fans how wide open the competition really and that the Ravens and Bengals have both posted division winning records within the last 2 years.

Which reminds me, I dislike Browns fans acting like the Bengals don't have a shot. At least we've won the division in the last 20 years :P

BengalMedic
08-08-2008, 12:40 PM
To tell you the truth, I hope the other teams continue to look at the Bengals as if they have no chance. Not having the expectations that were there in the past will help this team in that respect and I think the Bengals will sneak up on some people...

PalmerToCJ
08-08-2008, 12:57 PM
So much of our season hinges on ifs and buts. Which is why I completely understand people not picking the Bengals.

With that said, we've got a pretty high ceiling. Adding Utecht and a healthy Chris Perry (at this point anyway) is HUGE to our offense. Rudi is - by all accounts - back where he needs to be. I think the offense (especially on 3rd down) will be much better this year than last, that I'm all but sure of.

The defense is, as usual, up in the air and hinging on potential much more than what they've shown. I think Joseph and Hall only get better, Joseph could be a pro-bowler. There's a question with Marvin White at FS, he played well the last 2 games but that's not even close to an entire season. Madieu wasn't a playmaker by any means so it won't be hard to at least get close to his production. Rivers at WLB is a MASSIVE upgrade, Dhani in the middle hopefully provides some stability and leadership, Jeanty is solid and I think Brooks will emerge in some way... Or at least I would hope.

I don't see Odom being far from Smith's production, if not better. Geathers gets to stay at DE this year (well, I'd hope) which is better for everyone. Peko is a rock but there's always that question with the second DT spot. Seems Sims hasn't done near enough to even threaten at taking the spot.

This year SHOULD be better than last but then too, last year I didn't expect to get destroyed by injuries and they're a part of the game so who's to say it won't happen again, ugh.

My favorite to win the division is the Steelers, as they've always had our number. Until we can prove otherwise I won't pick against them.

PalmerToCJ
08-08-2008, 03:43 PM
On the training camp note, some good news...

From Willie Anderson:
I've gone against Robert (Geathers) a lot in practice. I play right tackle. He comes off the left end of the defense. He is the best pure pass rusher I have played with in my years with the Bengals. I tell him all the time he has the talent of a first-round pick, and we got him in the fourth round.

I think Robert is in a position, now, where he can be a consistent 8-10-12-sack guy a year. We have the good cornerbacks that can cover. We have good players on the defense now; and they're being very well coached with Mike Zimmer as the coordinator.

Now, with the better linebackers and another rush end in Antwan Odom, I think Robert can have a real big year.

On Shirley (Bengals.com)

"When he stays down, he's scary," says Hayes, the Bengals defensive line coach. "There are times when he's a killer. And there are other times, well ... he's just not ready."

"He's sharp; the guy is sharp," Hayes says. "He learns. He's does a very good job with that. There are no issues there. He's just fundamentally such a big man that he thinks he can play standing up."

Shirley has been a stand-up guy about his past and so have the Bengals. During the rookie minicamp the club's director of security, Rusty Guy, took Shirley on an unforgettable tour of Cincinnati that had nothing to do with Montgomery Inn.

It involved visiting former Bengals receiver Chris Henry under house arrest, and Henry telling Shirley not to repeat what he did. It involved Guy steering them toward the plush Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill.

"Where are we going?" Shirley asked.

"To show you what happens when you do it the right way," Guy said.

They arrived at Thornton's new sprawling home, just a couple of football fields from his old one. Wife. Two children. Team captain. One of the spokesmen on the airwaves and recently named one of The Cincinnati Business Courier's 40 under 40 notable young Cincinnatians.

"A 10-year career. Nice house, beautiful family. That's something I want," Shirley says. "He helps me with the little things on and off the field. I look at him not only as a veteran out on the field, but as an older man.

"I'm patterning myself after him. That's my goal: to play a long time and get involved in the community."

If you read the whole thing, it really makes me appreciate John Thornton. He's a stand up guy. I really like the Shirley pick still, tons of potential. Reminds me a lot of Stacy Andrews in terms of what you're given to work with. Granted, the staff hasn't been even remotely close to as effective at developing Dline talent as they are with the Oline.

Odom wants to return the week before the 1st game, that sucks but doesn't suck too I guess.

themaninblack
08-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Ive been thinking the same thing about Shirley with the comparison to Andrews. Hes raw and if he develops properly he could be a monster. What a good way to show him how its done too taking him to see Henry then comparing his life to JT's. While JT might not be what he once was on the field he is definitely a valuable piece to have on this team with his high character. He's like the defensive version of Reggie Kelly. Shirley will be great if he keeps his head about him n he definitely has two guys at his position to mentor him in Peko and JT.

LonghornsLegend
08-10-2008, 03:29 AM
Can I expect to see Chris Perry play Monday Nite? I have heard some really good things about him this off-season and as of lately, I'm really hoping he's back to healthy again, and hopefully you guys utilize him alot more, he's a nice weapon to have.

Bengalsrocket
08-10-2008, 06:22 AM
Can I expect to see Chris Perry play Monday Nite? I have heard some really good things about him this off-season and as of lately, I'm really hoping he's back to healthy again, and hopefully you guys utilize him alot more, he's a nice weapon to have.

I don't know if they have a plan to keep him healthy over the preseason since he does have a history of injuries, but right now apparently he's going full-speed and looks real good. I hope he gets a good number of snaps just so he can back to the feeling of a real game (or as close as it gets without actually being in a real game).

P.S. theres a poll on Bengals.com and the question was "What should be our goal for the monday night game against the packers?" and the winning answer right now is "Get out without any injuries" - that pretty much sums up the Bengals fans opinion as a whole :(

PalmerToCJ
08-10-2008, 03:50 PM

They aren't afraid to use him, it's just the guy gets hurt so often. He was huge for us in so many ways in '05. He's takes the role of a pass catching TE within our offense on 3rd downs. Having him back gives us a big play threat (catching or rushing), a GREAT pass catcher out of the backfield and he's someone defenses have to really be aware of.

I'm just going to do the safe thing and assume he'll end up getting hurt so I'm not surprised when it happens... But having him healthy really increases our chances at winning the division.

BengalMedic
08-11-2008, 07:56 AM
I have been talking about what a difference Shirley could make on this D-line if he gets his things together and focuses on football. A rotation of Shirley, Sims, and Peko could be HUGE for the interior of that line for years to come.

Shirley is the big body we have always needed. We just need him to focus on what's improtant. I think he has the ability to make the biggest difference to this defense "in the long run". A season or two and if Shirley stays focused, he's Haynesworth Jr. (hopefully minus the whole stomping thing)...

That being said, I haven't heard much on Odom lately.

themaninblack
08-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Odom is probably out until the opener from what I've read. Hopefully he is at full speed once the season begins and this is just a precaution they are taking to insure that.

Hines
08-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Are you guys strictly a 43 or are you guys doing some hybrid? I read that Zimmer wanted to switch to a 34 sometime, I could be wrong though.

themaninblack
08-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Initially I expect to see 4-3 exclusively but I'm sure some 3-4 looks are going to slowly start to become a part of this defense. I think we have enough versatility to pull this off pretty effectively but I wouldn't bet on seeing much of it this season.

PalmerToCJ
08-11-2008, 01:57 PM
I haven't heard much out of camp on 3-4 looks but I guess at this point it's mostly about getting the base stuff down.

I doubt we such much in terms of 3-4 tonight.

BengalMedic
08-12-2008, 07:38 AM
I could see a 3-4 thrown in on occasion, but not very often. We have some solid LB's that could make this happen, but besides Shirley (rookie 5th rounder) I don't see us with a true nose tackle.

PalmerToCJ
08-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Some interesting changes in practice today....

First team offensive line:
LT - Levi Jones
LG - Andrew Whitworth
C - Bobbie Williams
RG - Stacy Andrews
RT - Willie Anderson
(Ghiaciuc worked with 2nd team)

Rudi is healthy, Perry worked with 1st team and Marvin said he's competing for the starting spot.

1st team LB's:
WLB - Keith Rivers
MLB - Dhani Jones
SLB - Brandon Johnson

All via Mark Curnette.

themaninblack
08-14-2008, 07:51 PM
So the Jurassic line may in fact happen. Thats over 1600lbs of man meat.

Ahmad should just quit football. Or maybe gain 10lbs and play DE.

BengalMedic
08-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Thats over 1600lbs of man meat.

I nominate this for the "creepy post of the month" award !!!

PalmerToCJ
08-15-2008, 04:38 PM
They're still selling it off as emergency only. Which, at this point I'm sure it's the case however I can't help but think they're hoping it works out and they can make that the starting lineup. Obviously Williams has some adjusting to do but he's a vet so the learning curve isn't nearly as bad as it could be.

Willie is saying he's going to play at the beginning of the season. "I'm not a backup-slash-nothing, I'm going to be playing when the season starts."

Jason Shirley called that lineup, "Unstoppable". Which, of course, I agree with haha.

Paul Alexander (OL coach) is calling it the Jurassic line, 1664 pounds (to be exact, MIB).

ALL of the coaches are still talking about it as finding the backup center and an emergency scenario but like I said earlier, I can't help but think they're sitting there hopeful that it works out and they can put the best 5 out there.

I'll be watching the Oline Sunday more than anything given I think Williams will start at Center. Run blocking has fallen ever since Ghiaciuc came in, obviously not all of it falls on him but it'd be nice to see them get a boost running up the gut.

themaninblack
08-15-2008, 06:17 PM
I nominate this for the "creepy post of the month" award !!!

I'm an offensive lineman myself and that kind of terminology is thrown around a lot lol.

But if they can make this work our Oline will dominate.