PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth...

BeerBaron
07-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Getting mine out tomarrow, all 4 in one shot trying to get it done before I have to move back into school.

Anyone got any good tips/horror stories to share? My brother had his done a few months ago but only 1 side of his mouth top and bottom....I know a friend of mine from high school who joined the Air Force was telling me about when he had his done. He was so f-ed up on the anesthesia and stuff that he was pulling on his lips and cheek thinking it was the packing that he was trying to get out....bled all over everything, huge mess...

Luckily the guy I'm going to doesn't do packing, so hopefully I don't have to deal with too much blood...

fischbowl
07-28-2008, 07:16 PM
I got a dental x-ray last month that showed I didn't have any on the top right, bottom right, or bottom left.

Luckee me.....

BeerBaron
07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I got a dental x-ray last month that showed I didn't have any on the top right, bottom right, or bottom left.

Luckee me.....

lucky bastard, lol. One of mine (bottom right) has been bothering me and you could see on the x-ray that itwas like...underneath my other teeth pushing the roots into a "C" shape...no wonder it hurts

Crickett
07-28-2008, 07:19 PM
When I had my wisdom teeth out, the worst part of it was sitting in the dentist's office waiting for the operation. i wasn't consious for it so I didn't have any problems with the operation itself, although I was bleeding for a while.

BeerBaron
07-28-2008, 07:20 PM
When I had my wisdom teeth out, the worst part of it was sitting in the dentist's office waiting for the operation. i wasn't consious for it so I didn't have any problems with the operation itself, although I was bleeding for a while.

I'll be put out for mine too luckily, so no worries there....and its right away in the morning so hopefully there wont be too much of a wait

badgerbacker
07-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I was knocked out for the operation as well, so that wasn't bad at all. Kind of sucks being swelled up and unable to eat solid foods easily for a week or so though.

slightlyaraiderfan
07-28-2008, 07:30 PM
It doesn't hurt much, because you'll probably be on some sort of drug.

brat316
07-28-2008, 07:30 PM
when ever i go to the doctors office and then they make you wait in the chair with the paper aparon, that is the worst. The waiting, getting ready for the pain.

Its like getting shots you know its comming, but the waiting kills you

Turtlepower
07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm going into the dentist tomorrow for a consultation. I should be getting them out by the end of the month.

BeerBaron
07-28-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm not so much worried about the surgery itself as I went through a lot worse of one when I was younger.

Its the recovery that worries me a little more...especially because I have to go back to work on Thursday after the surgery on Tuesday.

SFbear
07-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Had my taken out at the end of May. I actually woke in the middle while the dentist pulling on and tightening up my stitches. There was no pain but it felt like there were a lot more people in the room than there were supposed to be and that something had gone terribly wrong. Fell asleep a few seconds after that and woke up with some paranoia but everything had gone fine. No pain until later that night.

The worst part was just the first night when I was drooling a lot of blood. That and living off of macaroni and cheese and apple sauce for the next several days really sucked. I was craving a burger pretty bad.

BeerBaron
07-28-2008, 07:41 PM
well thats a plus anyway, lol. I'm already stocked up on applesauce and ramen noodles so hopefully that will help

WMD
07-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Gah.. I have to get mine taken out.. but I don't want to. They are coming in crooked or something, and I have to get two others taken out near them. I'm paranoid about being knocked out for it.. and I don't want to have to deal with stitches and cleaning and all this other junk.

tEk
07-28-2008, 07:44 PM
dip your blizzie in some promethazine. puts the pain to rest.

TheBuffaloBills
07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
get some snack packs

http://www.nzgirl.co.nz/images/articles/story/lunch-snack-pack-adj.jpg

Whatever you do, dont use a straw.... If you use a straw your more likely to get dry socket

BeerBaron
07-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Whatever you do, dont use a straw.... If you use a straw your more likely to get dry socket

yeah, they told me no straw for at least 24 hours. hopefully then I'll be able to down a bunch of milkshakes or something.....

slightlyaraiderfan
07-28-2008, 07:51 PM
http://www.rsspieces.com/m/blogs/a/176673398_6811cdfdb3_o.jpg

regoob2
07-28-2008, 07:52 PM
My 2 front bottom teeth bother me every day, I think my wisdom teeth grew in and pushed them into each other cause now there kinda overlapping and my bottom teeth are kinda crooked.

Shane P. Hallam
07-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Getting mine out was fun. You get some meds, and it isn't as bad as people say. Just stick to some soups, milkshakes, etc. I had rarely any pain. I got them out 6 years ago or so, and I still have some painkillers left over.

Use a Salt Water rinse a few times a day (just a cup of water, shake salt in it, then swish it around in your mouth some and spit). It won't hurt much at all.

The Dynasty
07-28-2008, 07:59 PM
When i got mine out they werent even out yet so they had to cut my gums open and then pull them out so I had it some what bad i guess. I came home after gettin git done and Had Bloody coming out of my mouth all over my shirt but I guess that was Normal. Make Sure you do the Salt Water Rinse because I didnt do it enough and I had a Dry Socket. I ate pudding and jello and Apple Sauce for lunch for an about week and a half and I could only eat Noodles but all in all It was okay. Im just glad I got them out before they came through.

nobodyinparticular
07-28-2008, 08:09 PM

Awesome :D

Caddy
07-28-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm getting all four of mine cut out soon to as a precaution. I'm sure it will be a fun experience.

BufFan71
07-28-2008, 08:24 PM
the swelling is gonna look real nice lol

awfullyquiet
07-28-2008, 08:38 PM

just for s&g's...

Brent
07-28-2008, 09:17 PM
ice, ice and more ice. dont take an ice pack off your face for any reason unless you want chipmunk face.

JT Jag
07-28-2008, 09:25 PM
I was lucky enough to have three of them come in right.

Unfortunately, the one that came in at a weird angle resulted in me having to take the one that was just fine out for reasons beyond me.

smittyjs
07-28-2008, 10:08 PM
I got my out and the same night went to a titans preseason game, it wasn't bad for me at all :)

YAYareaRB
07-28-2008, 10:12 PM
I don't have any top wisdoms. I still have my bottoms though. They don't bother me but the cleaning issue is bothering me so I decided to take em out.

Bills2083
07-28-2008, 10:14 PM
When your wisdom teeth start coming in, do they cause your teeth to get closer, causing your teeth in the front to start bunching up?

Brent
07-28-2008, 10:16 PM
so I decided to take em out.
I just imagine someone taking a pliers to their mouth and pulling teeth like it's no big deal.

YAYareaRB
07-28-2008, 10:23 PM
I just imagine someone taking a pliers to their mouth and pulling teeth like it's no big deal.

I remember I couldn't sleep one night due to a baaaaad tooth ache and I got up, woke up the whole house trying to find a pair of pliers and ply my tooth out.

MetSox17
07-28-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm 21 and i've never experienced any pain in my molars that could be wisdom teeth.. either i'm lucky or i'm getting shafted later.

BeerBaron
07-28-2008, 11:21 PM
When your wisdom teeth start coming in, do they cause your teeth to get closer, causing your teeth in the front to start bunching up?

I don't know about that....I know the one that bothers me is crowding my back teeth causing them to hurt

yourfavestoner
07-28-2008, 11:29 PM
I don't have any wisdom teeth. Lucky me :D

Just pop your pills and everything will be all right. You're just not gonna remember a whole lot of anything coming off the anesthesia and all the vikes.

And don't blaze for two or three days. Your gums will get infected.

CJSchneider
07-29-2008, 12:03 AM
I got all 4 of mine out in one go when I was in the Army. The meds were good. I faintly remeber sitting in the reception area of Bayne Jones Army Hospital and Ft. Polk, LA. drooling on my self while waiting for the dispensery to issue me my pain killers. My Platoon Sergeant was with me, and had to keep telling officers I was already on meds because I would look at them all funny as they walked by and yell "You better salute me damn it!"

B-Dawk
07-29-2008, 12:10 AM
my wisdom teeth came in during high school, a little uncomfortable but deal able, then they said i needed them out and i was like f that yo, so i'm still repping mine. main reason they want them out is because they are hard for them to clean. the dentist in general is a scam.

eaglesalltheway
07-29-2008, 06:46 AM
I had mine taken out last year, and it really wans't that bad for me. For some reason, either my body doesn't relay apain to my brain the way it should, or I am a beast;) (probably the first one). I had all of them taken out at once, and I was out for the operation. I remember the nurses asking me to help them move me to another bed. Then I went back out. The next thing I remember was waking up and my mom was talking to a nurse. I wanted to sit up, but was still a little loopy from the anasteshia (don't even care how its spelled). I felt fine, it was sore, but nothing really that bad for me. When it was time to go, I wanted to walk, but for soem reason they wouldn't let me, so I got a wheelchair ride. They gave me the meds to prevent infection, cant remember its name, and vicadin. Beleive it or not, I didn't use one. I stopped at home and took two aspirin, and I went to school. Most of my buddies were surprised to see me, but I told them it wasn't that bad. I even sucked a milkshake through a straw on the way home, just to see if I could, and it didn't bother me. Granted it was a McDonalds shake, so it wasn't like it was too difficult. More milk than ice cream. My cheeks were puffy for about two days, but ice helped that. Overall, my experience wasn't that bad, but my friend had a horrific time when she had hers taken out. She had dry socket and was in a lot of pain. Luckily for me, I have a lot of gums I guess, becuse I was never even near getting a dry socket. Something dumb that people don't tell you about. It is fun to play with the stitches before they dissolve away.

eaglesalltheway
07-29-2008, 06:49 AM
I got all 4 of mine out in one go when I was in the Army. The meds were good. I faintly remeber sitting in the reception area of Bayne Jones Army Hospital and Ft. Polk, LA. drooling on my self while waiting for the dispensery to issue me my pain killers. My Platoon Sergeant was with me, and had to keep telling officers I was already on meds because I would look at them all funny as they walked by and yell "You better salute me damn it!"

Oh man that is a funny story. When I went there was some huge (as in tall) guy who had his taken out, just laying in a bed balling his eyes out. I had just been wheeled out of my room, and I must have had just enough meds in me that I found it hilarious, and I laughed. That caused him to cry more, and the nurse told me not to laugh, it wasnt good for my mouth apparently.
Thanks for your work CJ.

Gay Ork Wang
07-29-2008, 07:10 AM
i only have 24 teeths, they pulled out alot :D

Brent
07-29-2008, 09:45 AM
there was some huge (as in tall) guy who had his taken out, just laying in a bed balling his eyes out.
that is a result of the anesthesia meds. when someone comes out of being under, they typically either cry, laugh at everything or act violently.

drowe
07-29-2008, 10:52 AM
it's always been my belief that getting your wisdom teeth removed isn't quite as necessary as the dentists/oral surgeons will lead you to believe. they try to scare you with horror stories of them growing into other teeth or acting as bacteria farms.
i'm 28 and haven't had them out yet...and really don't intend to.
it's just a scam. they're selling your teeth on the black market.

farfromforgotten
07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Ugh. Teeth pain is the worse pain I've experienced in my life. Mine were terribly painful. They were growing in sideways. I had all of mine removed at the same time. I just had them numb the areas and send me home with some pain pills. Surgery and afterwards wasnt so bad.

PackerLegend
07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
I had mine out, and it wasnt bad at all. How much you swell up depends on the person. Nothing was bad, no pain, no blood, just your mouth is numb for a little bit becuase they numb it so its wierd. Nothing to worry about just dont suck on straws or smoke if you do because you will get dry sockets and that will ****ing hurt. I wouldnt know but have heard.

I havent every been knocked out or on the pills before this and I was completely normal after I woke up, they say I wouldnt remember getting off the little bed where they took them out and going into the next room but I did. Some of these stories are ******** and I find them hard to believe.

PackerLegend
07-29-2008, 04:22 PM
The only reason people have to get them taken out is because some people dont have enough room in the back of there mouth. If they did you can leave them but they arent needed. When you dont have enough room in your mouth they will start pushing on your back molars and can cause tons of pain and really do some damage to them. If you dont have room get them out, it will be alot better then living with the constant pain back there.

Vikes99ej
07-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I had mine taken out a few years ago. It hurt like a *****, but the medicine was fun, except I couldn't stay awake for an hour at a time.

eaglesalltheway
07-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Ugh. Teeth pain is the worse pain I've experienced in my life. Mine were terribly painful. They were growing in sideways. I had all of mine removed at the same time. I just had them numb the areas and send me home with some pain pills. Surgery and afterwards wasnt so bad.

Anyone who has had an inner ear infection will fight you real hard on that one. That is the worst pain I've ever felt, and I had my eyelid ripped (yes ripped, not cut) off by a clothes hanger. The ear infection hurt sooo much worse than that. It honestly feels likea piece of you rbrain is pushing against your eardrum and trying to break it. Ear infections also cause jaw soreness and thigns of that nature, no fun at all. I have yet to encounter any pain worse than that.

saer
07-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Anyone who has had an inner ear infection will fight you real hard on that one. That is the worst pain I've ever felt, and I had my eyelid ripped (yes ripped, not cut) off by a clothes hanger. The ear infection hurt sooo much worse than that. It honestly feels likea piece of you rbrain is pushing against your eardrum and trying to break it. Ear infections also cause jaw soreness and thigns of that nature, no fun at all. I have yet to encounter any pain worse than that.

I used to get ear infections so much that the Doctors performed surgery on my ears when I was like 2.

eaglesalltheway
07-30-2008, 06:58 AM
My brother had to have a plastic tunnel put in his one ear, he got infections so bad.

saer
07-30-2008, 07:02 AM
My brother had to have a plastic tunnel put in his one ear, he got infections so bad.

I think thats what they did to me (both ears) but I'm 95% sure thats what they did.

eaglesalltheway
07-30-2008, 07:07 AM
It has worked so far, he hasn't had any ear infections since then, that was about three years ago, and he used to get them about once a month. Poor kid.
Edit: your Avatar is classic by the way.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-30-2008, 07:08 AM
i actually have all 4 still in my mouth, non taken out. I'm not sure how i had enough room in my mouth to fit them all, but i did somehow. They were each painful coming in, and they can be a ***** to brush.....

BeerBaron
07-30-2008, 07:49 AM
well....I had this **** done yesturday and had a ****** day. threw up twice later in the night, could barely keep down some jello and applesauce, and now I'm sucking on a popsicle because the swelling in the back of my mouth prevents me from being able to close my teeth to like....chew.....anything.

this sucks.

CJSchneider
07-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Drugs...get ahold of some drugs.

BeerBaron
07-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Drugs...get ahold of some drugs.

actually i think the vicadin was part of the throwing up problem....I haven't been able to eat enough of anything to keep them down and they just make me sick....

CJSchneider
07-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Tylenol 3 with codine worked good for me.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Just got mine out today, my mouth is friggin numb.

Bills2083
12-19-2008, 04:21 PM
nevermind.

JFLO
12-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Whats the deal with your wisdom teeth again? I'm 19, and I haven't had mine taken out yet.

BeerBaron
12-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Whats the deal with your wisdom teeth again? I'm 19, and I haven't had mine taken out yet.

they grow in the back of your mouth and can mess up the alignment of your other teeth. a holdover from the days where our ancestors didnt take such good of their teeth and had much shorter lifespans.

this is a funny old thread too, lol. I had an awful time with mine this past summer...ugh.

12-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Kinda funny that this thread was brought back because I was just told today that I gotta get mine removed soon as well. :(

SuperKevin
12-19-2008, 06:18 PM
I got mine removed while in boot camp and got no pain medication afterwards and had to go back into training the very next day. I ran 3 miles the next morning with my mouth continually filled with blood

TitleTown088
12-19-2008, 06:59 PM
SK, you are all that is man.

BeerBaron
12-19-2008, 07:15 PM
I got mine removed while in boot camp and got no pain medication afterwards and had to go back into training the very next day. I ran 3 miles the next morning with my mouth continually filled with blood

thats just gross.....I had some major complications with mine and couldn't do much more than sleep and sit for the next few days.....nasty man.

PackerLegend
12-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Mine were taking out when I was like 16.. swelled up a little but that was about it. Wasnt bad at all, I could have ran the next day without bleeding but im assuming thats cause SK didnt have stitches in his.

RaiderNation
12-19-2008, 07:39 PM
I was out for a week when I got mine out earlier this year. I remember feeling really high though when I woke up