PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Ring your grandfolks

BlindSite
07-29-2008, 01:30 AM
No jokes or fun stuff sorry guys.

Just wanted to say I'm about to go to the hospital to say good bye to the last grandmother I have left.

So do yourselves a favor and ring your grandparents tonight just to say hi and see how they're doing.

Don't be like me and be kicking yourself for putting off visiting them when its too late.

brat316
07-29-2008, 01:37 AM
mine live with me or i should say in my parents house

Turtlepower
07-29-2008, 01:38 AM
All of mine passed away awhile back...

WMD
07-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Damn sorry to hear that. I still have all four of my grand parents. I try to never miss a chance to see them. My great grandma died in 2006 and I still haven't really gotten over that. We had the same birthday, we'd always have little celebrations for her and nobody would remember it was my Birthday too.

BigDawg819
07-29-2008, 02:57 AM
Feel your pain man, my grandma just died Saturday night and i'm going to the viewing in about 9 hours.

D-Unit
07-29-2008, 03:14 AM
No jokes or fun stuff sorry guys.

Just wanted to say I'm about to go to the hospital to say good bye to the last grandmother I have left.

So do yourselves a favor and ring your grandparents tonight just to say hi and see how they're doing.

Don't be like me and be kicking yourself for putting off visiting them when its too late.
Good advice. I'll do that.

My sincere condolences. God Bless.

eaglesalltheway
07-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Sorry to hear that man. I lost my grandfather nine years ago, and that was tough. He was loved by everyone who ever met him. There were so many people at his viewing, it seemed like half of my county was there, even the mayor of my town was there. The hardest part of my life was seeing him in the hospital, and saying goodbye to him. I really can't say much more about it, i'm at work and I don't want to get too emotional. My grandmother on my dad's side is still alive, and I see her once every one or two weeks, and I live directly across the street from my mom's parents, so I see them and talk to them every day.

Gay Ork Wang
07-29-2008, 07:13 AM
:( my grand parents live in china, about 10 hours with the plane and another 9 hours train ride...

Addict
07-29-2008, 07:32 AM
That sucks man, but try to avoid blaming yourself for not visiting all the time, just celebrate the times you did see them.

I saw my grandma last weekend, she's doing fine. As for the other two
grandparents I don't really talk to them that often, they live in France and they barely feel like family.

Bills2083
07-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Im very sorry. Like addict said, just cherish the times you had with her.

Xiomera
07-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah, my grandpa, who I was always really close with, died in March of '07. I've had his RIP tribute under my sig ever since. He was a lifelong, die-hard Lions fan. That's where I get my blind loyalty to that team.

drowe
07-29-2008, 10:48 AM
sorry for your loss man. sucks.
turning your loss into an opportunity to help others is very commendable. good call.

Staubach12
07-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Wow, Sorry for your loss. I'll definitely give my grandies a ring.

CJSchneider
07-29-2008, 01:54 PM
My father passed when I was 9. When that happened, my grandfather became my male role-model. He operated our family farm (pears and walnuts) up until a few years a go when his health made him unable to continue doing so. I have never met a harder working individual. My knowlege and ability to play baseball and football no doubt come directly from him (a ref and ump for many years as well as countless hours of one-on-one attention).
Great message BlindSite.

07-29-2008, 02:03 PM
I lost my very close grandmother just this past March and watched her die in my father's arms. Sorry for your loss and stay strong.

BlindSite
07-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks guys she went sometime this morning around 2am, just got back from the hospital. Its good to have a distraction for a while.

I really truly appreciate the well wishes too.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-29-2008, 06:15 PM
That's terrible man, my condolences. I've only got one grandparent left, too. My grandfather on my father's side had ALS(Lou Gehrig's disease), and died when my father was four, so I never got to meet him, which I would have loved to since apparently he and I looked very much alike. My grandmother on my dad's side had lung cancer for a while, I was only ten when she died but I don't think it was the cancer that got her. She apparently died in her sleep, in the rocking chair she always sat in. My mom's dad had alzheimer's, and my brother and sister and I didn't see him very often, although my mom always did. And now my mom's mom is apparently very sick, and she's lost a lot of weight although she should still live for a long time, a doctor said she could live another ten years without the surgery, which makes sense considering her sister lived well into her 80s, and her other sister is still alive and approacing 80.

eaglesalltheway
07-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Sort of the same thing going on here... I just saw my uncle have a grande mal seizure (the worst kind)today while I was at work. Not a pretty sight. Every part of his body had soemthing wrong with it. He lsot control of everything, including his bladder. His eyes rolled back, he was biting his tongue and breathing heavily, while salivating almost like a rabid animal. The convulsions were pretty tough to watch, and he was sweating lke I've never seen anyone sweat before. He was looking at everyone with a blank stare. It makes me wonder what is going on in the human brain when something like that is going on. Wehn he cmae out of it, he didn't even know what happened, and we had to keep telling him things because he couldn't remember. He wouldn't go to the hospital, because he had seizures like this before, and if they found out he would lose his license. He went home and slept it off. My uncle is 55, not that old, granted not young by todays standards but still, it could have been worse. Cherish your loved ones while you can, and take every opportunity to spend time with loved ones while you still can.

fischbowl
07-29-2008, 10:26 PM
My condolences go out to Blindsite and whoever else mentioned the loss of an elder in this thread. My grandpa, who I'm very close with, isn't doing so hot healthwise, and I speak to him weekly since my move. Luckily, I'll be back in town soon enough.