PDA

View Full Version : Todd Boeckman

BamaFalcon59
07-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Being 6'5", 240, productive and possessing a great arm, why is this guy not mentioned as a top pick, or even as a first rounder? People talk about this QB class as if it is horrible, and while that may be so, Boeckman has all the tools. Why isn't he considered a top prospect?

keylime_5
07-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Being 6'5", 240, productive and possessing a great arm, why is this guy not mentioned as a top pick, or even as a first rounder? People talk about this QB class as if it is horrible, and while that may be so, Boeckman has all the tools. Why isn't he considered a top prospect?

Sounds like Andre Woodson. Boeckman isn't that great. Has some good games, has some terrible games. A breakout senior year could make him a first round pick (big stretch), he has the physical tools at least.

BamaFalcon59
07-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Sounds like Andre Woodson. Boeckman isn't that great. Has some good games, has some terrible games. A breakout senior year could make him a first round pick (big stretch), he has the physical tools at least.

I did not watch OSU much, but on paper he sounds good.

bored of education
07-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I see him being a 3rd-5th rounder. He is a bit older too. He has the tools. Its hard to tell now, I really think he has great pcoket presence..ability to take that hit and get the throw off will help him.

BamaFalcon59
07-29-2008, 10:21 PM
So what's the downside? Inconsistency?

AkiliSmith
07-29-2008, 10:30 PM

That and choking on the big stage

sodar21
07-29-2008, 10:45 PM

Not being particularly good.

BamaFalcon59
07-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Not being particularly good.

Well that in turn would need to be attriuted to something. Accuracy, consistency, arm strength, etc..

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
His performance is average.

ThePudge
07-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Boeckman is good, though nothing about him really stands out when you watch him. He has his moments, think a slightly more mobile Nate Longshore. He just doesn't have that look to him.

Turtlepower
07-30-2008, 01:34 AM
Look at the end of the season compared to the beginning of the season and the tale of Todd Boeckman will be unfurled.

fenikz
07-30-2008, 02:26 AM
Look at the end of the season compared to the beginning of the season and the tale of Todd Boeckman will be unfurled.

look at that sexy sig

BrownsTown
07-30-2008, 05:18 AM
He'll be about 25 come draft time, and he's just...not that good, IMO. His accuracy is spotty, he's fast but never uses his speed, he's got a decent deep ball but good recievers make him look better.

eaglesalltheway
07-30-2008, 06:31 AM
Personnally I've been wondering why I haven't been hearing much either. I know he isn't exactly a top-notch prospect, but like everybody aelse said, he has the tools, and has had relatively good production against strong competition. I was watching things last year that said he woudl be a possible heisman contender, of course we all know that wasn't, and won't be the case, but still, him being gauged as a late round prospect baffles me. I could easily see him go anywhere from the second to fourth round if he continues doing what he did last year, and if he improves, he could be a first day prospect. Take note, I'm a PSU fan, so any and all biases should dissuade me to say what I just did.

keylime_5
07-30-2008, 09:17 AM
most of his picks come on underthrown deep balls. He got happy feet in the pocket a lot late last year when there was not that much pressure and he can make bad decisions at crucial times in the game all too often. He holds on to the ball way too long too resulting in sacks, especially against LSU was this evident. He was spotless against Penn State last year though, if he does that every week he'll be All American. Big, strong, with a great arm though and he can throw a good deep ball.

Cribbs>Hester
07-30-2008, 12:57 PM
You are correct that he does have all the physicall tools. The problem that keeps him from being a top pick is that he lacks every single possible mental tool you need to be a successful NFL QB.

soybean
07-30-2008, 01:16 PM
when i think of boeckman i think of all those qb's who won't win you a game but won't lose you a game either. Just overall a solid qb.

BamaFalcon59
07-30-2008, 01:42 PM
So he is Matt Stafford without the hype.

Then again, I've never understood the Matt Stafford love either.

BRAVEHEART
07-30-2008, 02:10 PM
I've never understood the Matt Stafford love either.

Big recruit playing at a big program.

TACKLE
07-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Big recruit playing at a big program.

Yea, that's basically it. Big recruit, big program, big arm and good size but doesn't have the production to back it up.

Addict
07-30-2008, 03:31 PM
well someone will take him based on potential.

TACKLE
07-30-2008, 09:48 PM
He reminds me a lot off Eric Ainge. Big QB with a strong arm and has played in some big games. I see him going in the 2-4 range.

ThePudge
08-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Ainge is one comparison I like to an extent, Boeckman has superior physical tools to Ainge. He has a stronger arm, his mobility is better, and he's more durable. Still, he isn't too battle tested so there have to be questions if he can do it mentally. He seems to me more of a Derek Anderson type prospect. Anderson was a 6th Round pick I believe and wasn't expected to make it like he has. I think Boeckman will be drafted in a similar spot (5th-6th Round) when all is said and done. Will he make it like Anderson did a year ago? Not likely, but it could obviously happen.

djp
08-03-2008, 11:24 PM
He's in the same boat as Ainge and Booty.

Mr. Stiller
08-04-2008, 01:11 AM
He has an extremely odd throwing style.

He'd need his mechanics all reworked.

Brent
08-04-2008, 11:04 AM
He's in the same boat as Ainge and Booty.
I dont know about that. Ainge played way more games than Boeckman will and Booty did.

DcmRulz
08-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Doesn't Ohio State also have Terrelle Pryor (2008 top recruit) who is talented enough to take a few plays away?

MidwayMonster31
08-17-2008, 12:11 AM
The biggest problem with Boeckman was consistency. He has had stretches when he makes all sorts of mistakes. He also needs to tighten his mechanics. He is also not capable of leading a comeback. When he got in trouble against Illinois and LSU, things only got worse for him.
If he does not play well against USC and whoever they play in their postseason exhibition game, I wouldn't be surprised if he was a late round pick. Ainge and Booty dropped all the way to the 5th round, while Woodson dropped all the way to the end of the 6th round.

Iamcanadian
08-17-2008, 12:24 AM
Remember, last year was his 1st as a starter so he could easily take a quantum leap this coming season and become a far more consistent starter. I once read a report that the pro scouts loved this guy but he just hasn't produced enough to excite anybody right now. When you consider that Stafford whose played far more than this guy, has the potential to still go #1 overall even though he has been terribly inconsistent his whole college career, maybe a light goes on and you realize that in the end, it is what a prospect does in his draft year that decides his fate not what he did leading up to his final season. If he uses his experience to lead Ohio St. to the National Championship with an undefeated season, then he could return to round 1 discussions, otherwise he really could be drafted anywhere after round 1. Really, it is far too early to judge more than a handful of prospects who carry elite status with the pros. The rest will depend completely on their final season.

Shane P. Hallam
08-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Doesn't Ohio State also have Terrelle Pryor (2008 top recruit) who is talented enough to take a few plays away?

Sure, but that won't affect Boeckman's draft status much.

eaglesfan_45
08-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Sure, but that won't affect Boeckman's draft status much.

Players losing snaps doesn't help their draft stock especially if it is a senior losing snaps to a true freshman. Knig Dunlap was benched and look where that got him, he went from mid-rounder to nearly undrafted. Losing snaps isn't good, it signifies that you aren't even the best on your team and that doesn't help when NFL franchises are looking for the best players available.

Iamcanadian
08-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Players losing snaps doesn't help their draft stock especially if it is a senior losing snaps to a true freshman. Knig Dunlap was benched and look where that got him, he went from mid-rounder to nearly undrafted. Losing snaps isn't good, it signifies that you aren't even the best on your team and that doesn't help when NFL franchises are looking for the best players available.

That's rubbish. Of course if your benched, it is going to affect your ranking in the draft. That sends up a red flag to scouts. However if a HC in college decides to give his next year's starter some work in a real game that hardly signifies any loss of confidence in the starter. The HC is simply looking ahead and preparing for next season. Many 1st round picks are sat down in a game to give experience to his replacement next season.
The pro scouts couldn't care less about a starter losing snaps as long as it isn't because the starter is playing poorly but only to give next year's player's some experience. Quite a few HC's will rotate their starters in a rotation during a game. They'll use their second string for a whole series sopmetimes because they clearly understand that they must be prepared for next season when many of the starters will graduate.
Think about it, your saying when Felix Jones replaced McFadden in a game for a substantial amount of time, it indicated that McFadden was weak and that the scouts would downgrade him for it. the facts just don't bear out your suggestion.

Shane P. Hallam
08-17-2008, 11:43 AM

As iamcanadian pointed out, you made a BIG leap from losing snaps to benched. King Dunlap was benched because he sucks. Boeckman will go on the bench because they have a versatile freshman who can run and has potential. Boeckman is going to get graded on how he plays the game and is as a person. Not that there was an outstanding (hopefully :)) freshman on the team.

Xonraider
08-17-2008, 12:39 PM
I did not watch OSU much, but on paper he sounds good.

You mean, looks good? You can't really hear paper.

Shane P. Hallam
08-17-2008, 12:45 PM
You mean, looks good? You can't really hear paper.

Oh my man, you have so much to learn. *rustle rustle*