PDA

View Full Version : DT Quinn Pitcock retires

Geo
07-30-2008, 01:06 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-2-113/Colts-second-year-DT-Pitcock-retires.html

Colts second-year DT Pitcock retires
July 29, 2008 10:43 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

Colts defensive lineman Quinn Pitcock, who had not joined the team since it reported to training camp last Thursday, has decided to end his playing career.

His agent, Brad Leshnock, sent this comment by e-mail a little while ago:

"After much deliberation and careful thought, Quinn resolved to retire from the NFL. He notified the Colts of this decision last week. Quinn is grateful for the opportunity the Colts gave him, and he wishes his teammates and the whole organization nothing but the best going forward."

Pitcock was a third-round draft pick, 98th overall, out of Ohio State in 2007. He started one game and played in nine as a rookie last year.

The Indianapolis Star posted this story about him Tuesday in which Tony Dungy said Pitcock was dealing with some personal issues and would let the team know when he could be back.

He was expected to factor into the team's defensive line rotation this season.
What a major bummer. I'm seriously bummed by this, I was excited that Pitcock was going to add a good deal to the defensive interior. So much for that now. :( :( :(

smittyjs
07-30-2008, 01:41 AM
Damn i wasn't expecting that, does this effect depth on the d-line much??

WMD
07-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Something has to be wrong for him to decide to retire. Hopefully he pulls through whatever was going bad for him.

brat316
07-30-2008, 01:46 AM
Something has to be wrong for him to decide to retire. Hopefully he pulls through whatever was going bad for him.

Ohhh Really

The Indianapolis Star posted this story about him Tuesday in which Tony Dungy said Pitcock was dealing with some personal issues and would let the team know when he could be back.

WMD
07-30-2008, 02:21 AM
Ohhh Really

No ****. I was just saying that it must be pretty bad for him to retire over it.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-30-2008, 02:37 AM
thats strange.Only his 2nd year.Wonder if he'll come back.

saer
07-30-2008, 02:52 AM
Thats extremely weird, and unexpected. I really liked him as a prospect. I liked how he didn't have the best god given talent but he made do and worked hard. Thats the way a football player should be. Its really a shame to lose a class act like him and I hope that he can make it through his problems and return to football.

Geo
07-30-2008, 03:26 AM
If he's lost his desire for the game, so be it. But if he's dealing with serious problems and that sort, I too would like to wish him well through it. I was a big fan of the Colts drafting him, and saw some promise last season as he got more reps through the season.

As for the DL Depth, this does affect it somewhat. For one, Raheem Brock will be moving back to his old role as starting LDE who moves inside in nickel formations. So there will be a new starting tackle on first and second downs. And if nothing else, Pitcock is the biggest defensive lineman on the Colts roster.

Thankfully Pitcock wasn't the only defensive tackle the Colts acquired last season, there were two others in Big Cat Ed Johnson and converted DE Keyunta Dawson. Those two guys will help carry the fort for sure this year, probably as the starting duo. Honestly this is sort of like losing Booger McFarland last summer around this time, it will likely open up the opportunity for a undrafted free agent to step in. Last year it was Johnson, I think '08 UDFA Eric Foster of Rutgers was going to make the team anyways but we'll see if he is the only one given this development. I'd love for the team to re-sign McFarland if he'll be healthy in time, and maybe the Colts keep an eye on the waiver wire these next few weeks just in case.

Jonny
07-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Foster is a really good fit for the Tampa-2 scheme. Indianapolis could afford to sign him as a UDFA because only a few teams would be interested in a 270 lb DT, but that signing is almost like a free first day pick for them. He's an all-around player on the field, and a great character guy off it. Will become a fan favorite very quickly.

redviper311
07-30-2008, 08:30 AM
I am really bumed about Quinn's retirement. But like I said in an earlier post this could really open the door for a Eric Foster (whom I am very high on) to make the roster.

I wish Quinn nothing but the best in whatever he decides to do in life.

MOTU
07-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Does anybody have insight on what the "personal issues" are? This is surprising to say the least. He basically just did what Vince Young said he almost did last season.

princefielder28
07-30-2008, 11:00 AM
This is a bit strange, but remember the story that came out earlier this year about Vince Young considering retirement after year one himself....the physical and mental demands of the NFL are so great and maybe it's just too much for kids coming from college and it makes it too much of a job for them rather than a game, which they can enjoy.

Splat
07-30-2008, 11:12 AM
That is pretty crazy I wish him well and hope every thing is ok with him.

MaxV
08-04-2008, 09:52 AM
This sucks. I was very high on him.

I hope he solves whatever the problems that he's going through.