PDA

View Full Version : Dre Bly to Denver?

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 10:43 AM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2007_03.html#241496 (http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2007_03.html#241496)

Bly trade to Denver looking strong
The proposed deal that would send cornerback Dre Bly to the Denver Broncos continues to get stronger.

In return, the Lions would receive either running back Tatum Bell and a third-round pick or tackle George Foster and a third-round pick or Bell and Foster together with no draft choice.

If the Lions get both Bell and Foster, it will have a profound impact on their draft and would likely mean that they'll definitely trade down. With Bell and Foster on the roster, the need for Wisconsin tackle Joe Thomas or Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson is gone. The Lions would have more motivation to trade down a few spots and go after a defensive end like Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson. Or trade a few more spots and grab Mississippi middle linebacker Patrick Willis.

If the Lions can only get one player from the Broncos, they would probably prefer Bell because then they can use their top draft choice on Thomas. They don't want to draft Peterson as insurance for Kevin Jones, who is expected to return.

The Bly trade is not imminent, but it's the strongest one on the board -- and the one that could help the Lions the most.

How great would this be? Which of the three options would you choose? I think I would take both players. And then take CJ at 2, lol.

EDIT: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784408

It's official

jbombul
03-01-2007, 11:08 AM
great find there xio, i think i would take bell and a third round pick. bell is very fast he and calhoun would be like the untouchables. but that raises the question who would we draft with the 3rd rounder, maybe dan baz? something like

1st adams
2nd merriweather
3rd best tackle/ i really think we are going to sign davis
3rd b. DANO

good solid defensive draft. also i was thinking if we don't draft thomas in the first, we have a slim outside chance at landing ugoh in the second who really had a solid combine.

Newbs24
03-01-2007, 11:42 AM
I would also have to go with Bell and a 3rd. Pick up a replacement CB with that 3rd round pick. Drop a little in the draft to acquire another pick and draft Patrick Willis or Gaines Adams. We need both quality and quantity so getting more picks is a must. Also packaging those later picks might also move us up into the 2nd round if there is a player that we LOVE still on the board.

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Think about it though, if we get Bell and Foster for Bly, our needs at RB and OT will be filled. Leaving us with MLB, DE, OG, and CB. Now I have to think that we will fill at least one of those remaining needs in free agency (likely MLB or DE).

I would seriously consider taking CJ at 2 if we did the trade for Foster and Bell.

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 12:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784408

YES YES YES YES YES YES
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TacticaLion
03-01-2007, 01:04 PM
HA! HAHAHA!

HOLY ****!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

HAHAHA!

Man... i'm so ******* happy right now... we improved our OLine and got Tatum Bell... YES! That's ******* badass. Now, we don't necessarily need JThomas and wont look at Peterson... which means... DEEEEEEEEEEFENCEEEEEEEEE!

HAHA!

If Millen trades down this year, we are GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Trade down, then take Willis. Use the remaining picks on CB, DE, ANYTHING else.

Man... i'm happy.

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 01:09 PM
I think, in a way, this helps us trade down. Arizona now knows that we will NOT be taking Joe Thomas, and they know that Cleveland will scoop him up at #3. If they want him, there is now no doubt that they will need to deal with Detroit to get him.

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 01:22 PM
We got a 5th rounder too!

TacticaLion
03-01-2007, 01:32 PM
We win in this deal... definately. Could Foster play OG? Or, could Scott play OG and keep Foster at OT?

ds8582
03-01-2007, 01:37 PM
HA! HAHAHA!

HOLY ****!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

HAHAHA!

Man... i'm so ******* happy right now... we improved our OLine and got Tatum Bell... YES! That's ******* badass. Now, we don't necessarily need JThomas and wont look at Peterson... which means... DEEEEEEEEEEFENCEEEEEEEEE!

HAHA!

If Millen trades down this year, we are GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Trade down, then take Willis. Use the remaining picks on CB, DE, ANYTHING else.

Man... i'm happy.

Wow talk about optimism!!

ds8582
03-01-2007, 01:39 PM
So will it be RB by committee next year and who will be the starter???

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 01:48 PM
So will it be RB by committee next year and who will be the starter???

Kevin Jones is without question the starter when he's 100% healthy again. Tatum Bell will get a lot of playing time early on and as a backup though. Brian Calhoun will get some carries too.

Newbs24
03-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Very good deal. Arizona is goning to HAVE to trade with us if they want Joe Thomas. I think they would be stupid not to. Leonard Davis is gone and they need OLine help BAD. I think Scott bumps into OG and they keep Foster at RT. They are gonna ask ALOT for that second pick and I don't blame them. If OAK trades Moss and get Rodgers back with another pick, they will more than likely go with CJ21 and leave BOTH QB's on the board. That makes the pick very valuable because then CLE will have their pick and people will want to jump in front of them. This draft could be VERY INTERESTING. I expect alot of movement. This is the best case for us. Could Millen have done the right thing?

detroit4life
03-01-2007, 02:20 PM
great trade if millen is able to trade down and get anothe rsecond round then he has done a great job so far two impact players and a 5th round pick for a player we would have cut anyway is fantastic

TacticaLion
03-01-2007, 02:59 PM
great trade if millen is able to trade down and get anothe rsecond round then he has done a great job so far two impact players and a 5th round pick for a player we would have cut anyway is fantasticExactly.

Now we have 3 5th round draft choices?

Notredameleo
03-01-2007, 03:08 PM
I think we definately won this deal...

TacticaLion
03-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I asked this in another thread:

Why was Bly an overrated, declining and "average" corner a week ago, and now forms "one of the best CB duos in the NFL"?

casskid
03-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Pair anyone with Champ Bailey and he automatically makes anyone one look good. Also, teams will be forced to throw at Bly because no one throws to Baileys side, and that plays to Bly's strengths as a playmaker instead of a shut down corner.

Scotty D
03-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Good trade. Gives us options.

Aard
03-01-2007, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't write off Joe Thomas as a Lion yet, but I do like the improved odds of our drafting Calvin Johnson. We can still use our extra fifth round picks to trade up for another pick in the third round, maybe, and still get the DE and CB help we need.

Addict
03-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Even though our histroy with WR's has been shady... I'm liking CJ @2 a lot. A trade-down would mean it'll be Gaines Adams, and a big trade-down would mean willis. If we stay put though... I like CJ.

Just thinking, but trading down to... like 8 or 9 wouldn't that mean we should be able to land an extra 2nd round pick? That'd be great, pick a young o-line guy, just in case half the O-line finds itself on the injury list again, like last year.

WMD
03-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Oh joyous occasion!

detroitsports
03-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Even though our histroy with WR's has been shady... I'm liking CJ @2 a lot. A trade-down would mean it'll be Gaines Adams, and a big trade-down would mean willis. If we stay put though... I like CJ.

Just thinking, but trading down to... like 8 or 9 wouldn't that mean we should be able to land an extra 2nd round pick? That'd be great, pick a young o-line guy, just in case half the O-line finds itself on the injury list again, like last year.

If we trade down to 8 or 9 we better pick up a lot, lot more than just an extra second round pick. We got a second rounder from Cleveland a couple years ago for moving down one spot.

Xiomera
03-01-2007, 09:15 PM
If we trade down to 8 or 9 we better pick up a lot, lot more than just an extra second round pick. We got a second rounder from Cleveland a couple years ago for moving down one spot.

I'd be happy with just about any deal down at this point. We could take Landry, Adams, or Anderson. I'd be happy with any of them, plus whatever picks we get.

I would accept a 1st rounder from next year's draft too. Future picks are nice too.

WMD
03-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Hypothetical Situation here.. More than likely not going to happen, but this would be awesome..

Trade down to #5 with Arizona (Joe Thomas), Pick up their Round 2 and 3.. then trade down with Houston (Brady Quinn), and Pick up their Round 3 also.... That would be a yummy scenario. We'd have Pick #8, Two Round 2 Picks, Three Round 3 Picks, a Round 4, Three Round 5 Picks, and a Round 6.. That's a Hall of Fame draft right there!

TacticaLion
03-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Hypothetical Situation here.. More than likely not going to happen, but this would be awesome..

Trade down to #5 with Arizona (Joe Thomas), Pick up their Round 2 and 3.. then trade down with Houston (Brady Quinn), and Pick up their Round 3 also.... That would be a yummy scenario. We'd have Pick #8, Two Round 2 Picks, Three Round 3 Picks, a Round 4, Three Round 5 Picks, and a Round 6.. That's a Hall of Fame draft right there!

Isn't that too many picks?

WMD
03-01-2007, 10:36 PM
I didn't know there was a limit on how many picks you could have.

CT Bronco Fan
03-02-2007, 03:31 AM
I think it's pretty funny how excited both teams are to get who they got.

As a Bronco fan, I'm very happy with the trade. As for who got the better end of the deal it's going to be hard to tell.

Breaking the trade down from the broncos perspective.

We gave you nothing < Foster >, a back with some serious baggage, and a fumbling problem, and a 5th round pick, for Dre Bly, an average CB, but should make an ok number 2. PLUS we got to keep both our 3rd rounders. Amazing deal for us.

I realize how good the trade looks for you guys. But wait till you see " The Revolving Door " and Bell play every week. It gets depressing watching DE's just blow bye, or run over Foster every other pass play.

I really hope Foster and Bell turn out to be absolute studs for you guys however. =) I'll be rooting for you guys for 15 games this year. One of them, I'm going to need you guys to lose however =)

Iamcanadian
03-02-2007, 07:54 AM
We win in this deal... definately. Could Foster play OG? Or, could Scott play OG and keep Foster at OT?

WE don't win in this deal, we gave up an all pro CB for an OT who lost his starting job late last year and a RB who is nothing special. I'll say this, Millen got the best deal possible out of a bad situation which unfortunately we are going to see over and over again as long as Millen remains with the Lions. Good players don't want to stay here and we cannot franchise them all.
All we can hope for is that Martz will get the most out of Foster who suits his style of play. It is now pretty obvious that Jones won't be ready at the start of next season, so Bell is a decent replacement, I just hope he can catch a pass because that's what Martz's offense calls for.
We now have a solid middle of the road offense but our defense just plain stinks with 3 major holes at DE, MLB and CB.
As for the draft, Thomas is a dead issue, it is either of, Quinn, Johnson or Adams. I don't think Millen has the balls to draft another QB or a WR and Marinelli definitely wants Adams a classic cover 2 DE who can really pressure the passer. The only problem is Adams isn't an elite prospect while Quinn and Johnson are, so we become a likely candidate to trade down. Unfortunately, finding suiters is problematic. No doubt Arizona, Minny and Miami would all love to get either Thomas/Quinn/Johnson but it is so rare that rebuilding teams give up draft picks to move up that I'm not holding my breath. At least it will keep us glued finding out which way we are able to go.

TacticaLion
03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
WE don't win in this deal, we gave up an all pro CB for an OT who lost his starting job late last year and a RB who is nothing special. I'll say this, Millen got the best deal possible out of a bad situation which unfortunately we are going to see over and over again as long as Millen remains with the Lions. Good players don't want to stay here and we cannot franchise them all.An all pro CB? Who? Oh... you mean Dre Bly... who looked horrible last year. It would've been the same this year, because he doesnt fit the defensive scheme. Not only that, but he's a horrible locker room personality.

So, to us, he's worthless. We got OL depth and a good RB out of the deal.

Newbs24
03-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Dre Bly is not a Pro Bowler anymore. He will thrive if he can be a playmaker with Champ never getting balls thrown to him. Chad Johnson destroyed him last year. Dre looked slow against him.
I think it was a wash. We got what we could and they got what they needed. Tatum should be decent but not if the OLine is terrible again. I think a 2nd round pick or 3rd pick on a OLineman is a better way to go. They seems to be better deals. I don't Thomas to be another Gallery. I think a playmaker on Defense. Our offense wasn't bad except for the run game. We will have 3 solid WRs when we get Curtis and I am not gonna count out Mike Williams just yet. I think he may have a very good year. That means we need guys like Willis or Adams to help out on D. Either of those I will be fine with. We do need a CB or 2 real bad. Maybe Fernando will not get injured this year, but I doubt it.

Aard
03-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Interesting Millen quote from Nicholas Cotsonika in today's Free Press:

Asked if the Lions lost leadership by parting with Hall and Bly, Millen said: "No. There won't be at all. I think we'll be fine. I think we'll actually ... I think we'll fare pretty well there."

It sounds to me like Millen stopped himself before saying, "I think we'll actually be better off without Bly and Hall in the locker room."

Iamcanadian
03-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Interesting Millen quote from Nicholas Cotsonika in today's Free Press:

It sounds to me like Millen stopped himself before saying, "I think we'll actually be better off without Bly and Hall in the locker room."

Ya, Millen probably wanted to get rid of them, they actually wanted to win games and rightfully criticized Millen for his 24-72 record. What's Millen going to say, I cannot keep players on the team without franchising or way overpaying them, and Bly actually wants to play for a team that can win some games.

TacticaLion
03-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Ya, Millen probably wanted to get rid of them, they actually wanted to win games and rightfully criticized Millen for his 24-72 record. What's Millen going to say, I cannot keep players on the team without franchising or way overpaying them, and Bly actually wants to play for a team that can win some games.Shut up. They were horrible in the locker room, as we saw in the Harrington-Bly situation. Marinelli knows what players he wants for his team... and those were not the players.

Go watch womens college basketball.