PDA

View Full Version : Percy Harvin

D-Unit
07-30-2008, 06:40 PM
How are people guaging his stock this year? And what kind of season do you expect from him? Heisman candidate? Elite prospect? Above average prospect? Average prospect? What's his real position? What happened to the skinny kid? Share your thoughts.

BRAVEHEART
07-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Above average prospect.

thule
07-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Might as well post them up here too.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/vcferry/339530221_104_080725_harvinpercy_11.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/vcferry/339529806_096_080725_harvinpercy_11.jpg
http://gatorcountry.smugmug.com/photos/339525682_sAY9F-L.jpg
http://gatorcountry.smugmug.com/photos/339531992_SpHAd-M.jpg

As far as a prospect goes...I see him going in that 25-40 range. My knock on him is the lack of position...I think he is an excellent athlete that can play WR in the pro's...never a #1 guys...but a shifty guy who you can put anywhere. Not a guy your gonna want in a vanilla offense...special teams value should be the clincher to get him in the first round...bottomline is his peak for me is a #2 WR/Scatback

keylime_5
07-30-2008, 07:12 PM
yeah, those pics thule put up are the ones making the message board circuit. Apparently Percy has gotten pretty big and is still quite fast and explosive. I like Harvin a lot, could be another Steve Smith. Should be a first round pick. Could sneak into the top ten if someone falls in love with him and if he has a big junior year.

thule
07-30-2008, 07:24 PM
I'd love to hear from some gator fans to hear how they used him this spring....I think in order for him to be drafted in the top half of the first round he is going to have to establish himself as a premier player at one position....if he is playing a slash style again...where he is qb/rb/wr I just can't believe that a team would take a shot at him that early.

Go_Eagles77
07-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Damn after those pics you can't compare him to DeSean Jackson. lol

brat316
07-30-2008, 08:26 PM
yeah Harvin got jacked quick. Does anyone think that after this year where no WR went in the first will the same happen next year? the exception Crabtree.

I see him late first, definitely 2nd round. If he gets injured this year then he will probably go 2nd or later. He can be taken on is ST value and speed in the second round, like Hester was.

Either he beefed up so he can play more everywhere and not worry about injuries much, taking beatings in ST and playing Rb.

I don't think they are going to limit him to 1 position with his speed.

Clayton89
07-30-2008, 08:27 PM
A Randle El type player with top flight athleticism. The combine numbers will be there but his lack of a defined position will hurt. Anywhere from mid first to late 2nd but most likely in the first good atheletes are hard to pass on especially when they have pretty good production. Hopefully the Canes can at least contain him as I hope we at least keep it respectable in our game with the Gators

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Harvins arms are like twigs. jk

BRAVEHEART
07-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Harvins legs are like twigs. jk

Fixed and bolded for emphasis.

Staubach12
07-30-2008, 09:39 PM
I really like Harvin. Pair him up with a creative offensive coordinator, and he'll be dynamite.

I like him at WR, you can put him on the outside, in the slot, motion him out of the backfield, motion him into the backfield. The guy's a matchup nightmare. You got to love a guy who can work in space and in traffic. Hell, I'd even like to direct snap it to him like the Pats did a few times here and there. He'd be dangerous on reverses. Not to mention this guy is a stud on special teams.

As far as his stock and play this year, I want to see his productivity increase. Yes, he put up some good numbers, but I want to see him blow it up.

Anyway, if the draft was today, he'd go 25-40.
(My mistake. By the way, I didn't copy and paste. You're ignorant. I was going to continue to say that this could be a Leinart-Bush situation, him winning the Heisman after his QB did, but decided that was a bit far off. **** you.)

BamaFalcon59
07-30-2008, 10:19 PM
GD that boy got big. Holy ****.

thule
07-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I really like Harvin. Pair him up with a creative offensive coordinator, and he'll be dynamite.

I like him at WR, you can put him on the outside, in the slot, motion him out of the backfield, motion him into the backfield. The guy's a matchup nightmare. You got to love a guy who can work in space and in traffic. Hell, I'd even like to direct snap it to him like the Pats did a few times here and there. He'd be dangerous on reverses. Not to mention this guy is a stud on special teams.

As far as his stock and play this year, I want to see his productivity increase. Yes, he put up some good numbers, but I want to see him blow it up.

Anyway, if the draft was today, he'd go 25-40.
As far as

Do you ever think of your own ideas....you completely took what I said and rewrote it to make yourself sound intelligent....

Can't we ban him for being a regurgitator?

JT Jag
07-30-2008, 10:33 PM
A first-day pick who offers immediate value as a Reggie Bush type (can play wide receiver or runningback depending on where you need him) and also possesses very good return skills and excellent special teams upside in general.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Do you ever think of your own ideas....you completely took what I said and rewrote it to make yourself sound intelligent....

This should get interesting.

D-Unit
07-30-2008, 10:41 PM
This should get interesting.
*grabs popcorn and a seat*

thule
07-30-2008, 10:42 PM
A first-day pick who offers immediate value as a Reggie Bush type (can play wide receiver or runningback depending on where you need him) and also possesses very good return skills and excellent special teams upside in general.

This is probably the best comparison so far...although he will probably be looked at as a pure WR at the next level....guys like Steve Smith and Santana Moss just don't seem to fit his playing style so far at the college level.

thule
07-30-2008, 10:43 PM
*grabs popcorn and a seat*

You of all people should understand where I'm coming from....it's been going on for almost 2 years...how about a name change....he can become the Recycler...since thats all he does with information anyways.

neko4
07-30-2008, 10:45 PM
I think some of his draft stock will be affected by Reggie Bush's sucess this year as a player. They are fairly similar except ones more of a RB and the other a WR.

I'll say he goes 25-40 lol

16-32

If Bush sucks this year then I guess his stock will drop a bit down into late 1st, early 2nd

D-Unit
07-30-2008, 10:48 PM
You of all people should understand where I'm coming from....it's been going on for almost 2 years...how about a name change....he can become the Recycler...since thats all he does with information anyways.
Yeah, I actually think he copied and pasted what you said and then reworded it, but forgot to erase the "As far as" at the end of his post. ...which is what you started off your post with. LOL.

thule
07-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I actually think he copied and pasted what you said and then reworded it, but forgot to erase the "As far as" at the end of his post. ...which is what you started off your post with. LOL.

WOW....I didn't even catch that....how great

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I think we should sticky this thread.

D-Unit
07-30-2008, 10:57 PM
WOW....I didn't even catch that....how great
No really... cause I don't get how "As far as" makes sense where he's saying it....

thule
07-30-2008, 10:58 PM
This is about the 100th time I've caught him doing this stuff.

His latest before this was just about a week ago.
http://nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23903

Just a classic case of trying to hard to fit in

D-Unit
07-30-2008, 11:02 PM

Eh, he's harmless thule. I take it, you don't let your little brother hang around with you and your friends? hahaha jk. :D

Cigaro
07-30-2008, 11:05 PM
yeah Harvin got jacked quick. Does anyone think that after this year where no WR went in the first will the same happen next year? the exception Crabtree.

I see him late first, definitely 2nd round. If he gets injured this year then he will probably go 2nd or later. He can be taken on is ST value and speed in the second round, like Hester was.

Either he beefed up so he can play more everywhere and not worry about injuries much, taking beatings in ST and playing Rb.

I don't think they are going to limit him to 1 position with his speed.

He doesn't play special teams at Florida. :confused:

thule
07-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Eh, he's harmless thule. I take it, you don't let your little brother hang around with you and your friends? hahaha jk. :D

good analogy...and truthfully...no I see my bro on christmas/thanksgiving/easter and thats about it

brat316
07-30-2008, 11:10 PM
He doesn't play special teams at Florida. :confused:

What why not i thought he did? he could be Dy-NO-Mite on returns

D-Unit
07-30-2008, 11:38 PM
As for Harvin... I like Reggie Bush with a bigger neck and arms comparison.

Fogcity_faithful
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
I agree with the fact that his draft stock will be greatly influenced by how well reggie bush does year. They share similar characteristics. Both are game changers with crazy speed and athleticism. Neither fit a classic definition of any position. If reggie can shine Harvin's stock will go up.

Solomon
07-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Obviously looking at my sig I'm a little bit biased but I think Harvin is a fantastic college player that if he stays relatively injury-free could be very productive in the NFL. In terms of who I think he plays like at the college level, the closest comparison I can think of right now is Peter Warrick, not quite at his level yet but getting there.

I think Harvin will focus more at WR this year because Moody should be the feature back and Chris Rainey looks like he'll get his share of touches as a speed back. That might hurt his statistics but should help his draft stock by becoming more polished as a receiver and establishing himself at one position.

Harvin is ridiculously fast and elusive, his size and durability have been concerns but he has bulked up in the offseason to combat that. This is going to a very interesting year for him. Right now I don't disagree with the assessment of him as a 25-40 prospect but predict that in five months he will be considered a top 10 prospect.

Staubach12
08-01-2008, 12:56 AM

Hahahahahahaha This is priceless. I didn't even read your post! I just came in, read D-Unit's question and answered it.

Staubach12
08-01-2008, 01:16 AM

That's one time. It happens to the best of us. Please, show me more. And it's "too" hard, get a damn education.

bored of education
08-01-2008, 01:24 AM
Thule relex and let it go man. be the greater man...you should be anyways with your mod stripes and all. . .

comahan
08-01-2008, 01:24 AM
Thule, you dont like him, we get it. Ignore him and get over it.

Staubach12
08-01-2008, 01:29 AM
And just because we share an opinion on one thing doesn't mean I copied you. Get off your ******* high horse. You're not that goddamn awesome. I really don't value your opinion that much, or any at all for that matter.

bored of education
08-01-2008, 01:31 AM
He might just be damn awesome if that!

djp
08-01-2008, 01:36 AM
He's injured right now from what I have read. He is absolutely dynamite when he's on the field.

He seems very, very fragile to me. He was hurt last year and there are concerns whether he'll be ready 100% for the season (which is so much closer than I thought it was now that I think about it).

His ceiling, as a player, is probably a Devin Hester (he is that electric) with slightly better hands.

He is one of those guys who is firmly in the first 2 rounds as of now, going as high as top 10 or falling all the way to the bottom of the 2nd round.

I tend to think that he will fall a bit on draft day to due his true lack of a position.

Staubach12
08-01-2008, 01:45 AM
I'd love to hear from some gator fans to hear how they used him this spring....I think in order for him to be drafted in the top half of the first round he is going to have to establish himself as a premier player at one position....if he is playing a slash style again...where he is qb/rb/wr I just can't believe that a team would take a shot at him that early.

By the way, you're wrong. Being a dynamic player is a great thing on the next level and the ability to play multiple positions is a major plus.

thule
08-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Thule relex and let it go man. be the greater man...you should be anyways with your mod stripes and all. . .

I'm not a mod silly

as far as....................LOL

BamaFalcon59
08-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Lol that is funny. Especially how at the end of his first post it has 'As far as' at the end.

Staubach12
08-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm not going to explain myself here. I didn't read his damn post, and I don't give a damn about his opinion in the first place. Believe what you want but I did not copy what he said.

BamaFalcon59
08-01-2008, 01:21 PM
It's cool dude I have no idea if you do or not, I just thought it was funny when he said that and then it appeared like you copied and pasted because of the chopped sentense.

Staubach12
08-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Well, I didn't. If I did, I'd say it. "Whatever, you caught me." But I didn't. Done with this thread.

Byrd430
08-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Kay..................

Anyway, regarding what position Harvin will be playing....

Even though he was more explosive as a RB last year, most of the time he lined up at WR and motioned to the backfield before taking the handoff. With USC transfer Emanuel Moody, Chris Rainey, and Kestahn Moore all back at RB, I'll think we'll see Harvin more at WR.

The idea at QB is to let Tebow pass more. So I can see Harvin running routes more. Still, at the college level at least, he'll still see some motion-backfield-handoff or screen passes. He had 9.2 ypc last season running as a WR-motion but let's not forget that he had a 14.5 yards per reception as a WR as well. Some of those came off that screen pass as well.

As far as Harvin goes in NFL terms, I think some mix between Devin Hester and Steve Smith is accurate, or as someone else said earlier, a Hester with better hands.

He's 5'11 178 lbs. and runs a 4.22. And as far as injuries go, Harvin hasn't suffered any more injury than anybody else, so that argument should dissipate(sp?) immediately.

thule
08-01-2008, 07:46 PM
4.22 that's quite a bit lower than I've been hearing....can you source that information from anywhere?

D-Unit
08-01-2008, 07:52 PM
4.22 Forty.....

2 words.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAH RIGHT.

Byrd430
08-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Give me a minute to locate the source.... BRB...

TheBuffaloBills
08-01-2008, 08:03 PM
C'mon guys I am liking this thread.... I dont want it to get locked.... It has a 92 potiential thread rating IMO.

BTW, has Florida given him a chance to be on special teams? Is he not cut out for it, or do they just want to save his energy/health?

Byrd430
08-01-2008, 08:07 PM
The actual 4.22 time comes from Phil Steele College Football preview...

4.24 comes from rivals.com...
4.22 low comes from *************.com
4.34 from walter football.com (which is one of his higher times from other sources)
and also the Florida Times-Union reports that Harvins runs anywhere between a 4.2 and a 4.3.

Byrd430
08-01-2008, 08:12 PM
BTW, I think Harvin hasn't been on special teams because (1) he already plays a large enough role in the offense as WR/RB and (2) Florida has RB Brandon James as the KR who, (if I'm not mistaken), as a 2nd team All-American at returner.

BamaFalcon59
08-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Harvin won't hit 4.22 at the combine. I'd be suprised if he hit 4.32 at the combine, although that is certainly more possible.

Iamcanadian
08-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Right now he's in the same boat as DeSean Jackson was last year. They are very simular in size and speed. The 64$ question is how big can Harvin build himself up to or is he like Jackson and cannot put on weight. If he can get up to 185lbs while retaining his top flight speed and continues to show good hands then he's probably a threat to go top 10, if he remains a very small man then round 2 is tops for him.

Solomon
08-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Right now he's in the same boat as DeSean Jackson was last year. They are very simular in size and speed. The 64$ question is how big can Harvin build himself up to or is he like Jackson and cannot put on weight. If he can get up to 185lbs while retaining his top flight speed and continues to show good hands then he's probably a threat to go top 10, if he remains a very small man then round 2 is tops for him.

I don't really see the Desean Jackson comparison.

Unless Harvin's coach and the Florida Gators official site are exaggerating (which is a possible) he can indeed add size. Right now he's listed at 5-11 and 195 lbs which is 2 inches taller and 28 lbs heavier than what DJax came in at at the combine.

In the spring Urban Meyer had said about Harvin: "He is working five days a week and three days a week hes doing rehab. Hes at 196 pounds and strong as an ox.

Keep in mind that while certain schools have a habit of exaggerating size, (two teams that come to mind are Florida State and Cal) Florida players have typically measured in at the combine very similarily to what they are listed at.

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2008&player_id=35

Turtlepower
08-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Harvin won't hit 4.22 at the combine. I'd be suprised if he hit 4.32 at the combine, although that is certainly more possible.

If Ted Ginn can run a 4.1 then Harvin can run a 4.22. =P

Shiver
08-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Last year I said he compares to Reggie Bush. Certainly that comparison comes with the caveat that he probably will not have as good of a Junior year as Bush had, and certainly won't have the hype that Bush did. But the way Harvin plays in that hybrid WR/RB role makes me think that he could be used similarly to Bush in the NFL.

Go_Eagles77
08-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I too like the comparison to Bush a lot, the difference will be Harvin will probably be listed at WR which is what Bush should be. As for the DeSean Jackson comparison he's not nearly as polished of a WR but he has better size and slightly better measurables so I see him going up to a full round higher than Jackson.

MidwayMonster31
08-03-2008, 05:31 PM
To maximize his potential, he should be a wide receiver. I've heard that he improved his route running. He should also be used on end-arounds and screens. The big questions for him are staying healthy and the ability to go over the middle. Meyer will probably use him more on passes this year.

Hokie_Pokie08
08-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Kay..................

Anyway, regarding what position Harvin will be playing....

Even though he was more explosive as a RB last year, most of the time he lined up at WR and motioned to the backfield before taking the handoff. With USC transfer Emanuel Moody, Chris Rainey, and Kestahn Moore all back at RB, I'll think we'll see Harvin more at WR.

The idea at QB is to let Tebow pass more. So I can see Harvin running routes more. Still, at the college level at least, he'll still see some motion-backfield-handoff or screen passes. He had 9.2 ypc last season running as a WR-motion but let's not forget that he had a 14.5 yards per reception as a WR as well. Some of those came off that screen pass as well.

As far as Harvin goes in NFL terms, I think some mix between Devin Hester and Steve Smith is accurate, or as someone else said earlier, a Hester with better hands.

He's 5'11 178 lbs. and runs a 4.22. And as far as injuries go, Harvin hasn't suffered any more injury than anybody else, so that argument should dissipate(sp?) immediately.

There was an article today in the local newspaper (Virginia Beach) that had Percy on the cover of the sports page. It talked about his heel injury and how he hasn't been healthy since he was a junior in high school based on the heel. He also said that the other minor injuries he has had in college were based on him overcompensating for the heel. He said that he is back and finally healthy for the 1st time in over 3 years. The article also mentioned that he is now weighing over 200 pounds and is sporting a 400+ bench press to go along with his speed and agility.

I don't know about a 4.22, but he was in the low 10s as a high school sprinter so he should blaze the 40. He was also faster than Charles Clark who could be seen at the finals of the US trials and will be NCAA champ this upcoming track season.

StrongSide97
08-05-2008, 03:35 PM
There was an article today in the local newspaper (Virginia Beach) that had Percy on the cover of the sports page. It talked about his heel injury and how he hasn't been healthy since he was a junior in high school based on the heel. He also said that the other minor injuries he has had in college were based on him overcompensating for the heel. He said that he is back and finally healthy for the 1st time in over 3 years. The article also mentioned that he is now weighing over 200 pounds and is sporting a 400+ bench press to go along with his speed and agility.

I don't know about a 4.22, but he was in the low 10s as a high school sprinter so he should blaze the 40. He was also faster than Charles Clark who could be seen at the finals of the US trials and will be NCAA champ this upcoming track season.

I hope he's right when it comes to his own health. Personally, I think Harvin is one of the, if not the most explosive player in the upcoming draft, should he declare.

He has developed so much since his senior year in high school, it's sickening how much weight and muscle he has put on in the past two seasons. I hope it's all true and genuine.

MetSox17
08-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Going back to what you all were discussing abou 40 times, wouldn't it be, for his sake, a lot better for him to run in the mid 4.3's, but weigh in somewhere in the low 200's?

08-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Going back to what you all were discussing abou 40 times, wouldn't it be, for his sake, a lot better for him to run in the mid 4.3's, but weigh in somewhere in the low 200's?

Yes, weight certainly is a major issue with an undersized / versatile back such as Harvin so I see what you're saying. He's already weighed in this offseason in the low 200's though.

Iamcanadian
08-06-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't really see the Desean Jackson comparison.

Unless Harvin's coach and the Florida Gators official site are exaggerating (which is a possible) he can indeed add size. Right now he's listed at 5-11 and 195 lbs which is 2 inches taller and 28 lbs heavier than what DJax came in at at the combine.

In the spring Urban Meyer had said about Harvin: "He is working five days a week and three days a week he’s doing rehab. He’s at 196 pounds and strong as an ox.”

Keep in mind that while certain schools have a habit of exaggerating size, (two teams that come to mind are Florida State and Cal) Florida players have typically measured in at the combine very similarily to what they are listed at.

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2008&player_id=35

I still don't believe much about the hype coming from college campuses, they often exaggerate such details but if Harvin shows up at the combine and weighs in at least carrying 185lbs, he's a very serious threat to be a top 10 pick if he declares.

yourfavestoner
08-08-2008, 03:06 PM
I still don't believe much about the hype coming from college campuses, they often exaggerate such details but if Harvin shows up at the combine and weighs in at least carrying 185lbs, he's a very serious threat to be a top 10 pick if he declares.

Dude, just look at him. He's seriously jacked up. He's close to 200 lbs for sure...
Personally, I dont even know if I like him carrying that much weight, as I don't want him to lose his explosiveness a la Steve Slaton.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/images/uploads/football/percyharvinbulked.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/vcferry/339529806_096_080725_harvinpercy_11.jpg

yourfavestoner
08-08-2008, 03:11 PM
The actual 4.22 time comes from Phil Steele College Football preview...

4.24 comes from rivals.com...
4.22 low comes from *************.com
4.34 from walter football.com (which is one of his higher times from other sources)
and also the Florida Times-Union reports that Harvins runs anywhere between a 4.2 and a 4.3.

Realistically, he'll probably run between a 4.32-4.38 with some of the best times in the short shuttle and agility drills.

D-Unit
08-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Dude, just look at him. He's seriously jacked up. He's close to 200 lbs for sure...
Personally, I dont even know if I like him carrying that much weight, as I don't want him to lose his explosiveness a la Steve Slaton.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/images/uploads/football/percyharvinbulked.jpg

I wouldn't worry as much about explosiveness as much as fluidity, flexibility, stop and go ability and coordination. You can be muscular and still be explosive, might even help... but the bulk could cause some fundamental movement problems for him. ...also could prevent having soft hands in catching passes.

He'll be an interesting guy to watch this year. Maybe he comes back to UF next year with jacked up legs and makes a full time move to RB.

soybean
08-08-2008, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't worry as much about explosiveness as much as fluidity, flexibility, stop and go ability and coordination. You can be muscular and still be explosive, might even help... but the bulk could cause some fundamental movement problems for him. ...also could prevent having soft hands in catching passes.

He'll be an interesting guy to watch this year. Maybe he comes back to UF next year with jacked up legs and makes a full time move to RB.

i was thinking they'd move him to full time WR considering how Moody is eligible this year and not to mention tebow stealing carries away. But it is urban meyer so he'll probably continue to use him in trick formations etc.

rfc17
08-08-2008, 08:26 PM
I really dislike the Bush comparison. Bush was a RB that could catch the ball. Harvin is a WR that can run. I think there is a big difference.

Harvin is a very good WR. He just isnt asked to play it a lot. Florida has been stacked at the position ever since Harvin has been there. They havent been stacked at RB. and as it turns out, Harvin is better at RB than any of their current RBs. But his best position isnt RB. Its WR. Reggie Bush isnt a WR.

Harvin gets miscategorized because of how Florida uses him. There whole offensive philosophy is to get the ball into their playmakers hands. If you ever watch Harvin run routes and catch the ball, youd see that he can be a great WR. he just isnt asked to do it a whole lot because of the offense they run.

In all my years of watching football, Ive never seen a guy change directions without losing speed like Harvin can. his acceleration and ability to change on a dime is rare. few NFL players have ever possessed it.

I think the guy is a top 10 talent. the only concerns id have are injuries and the off the field troubles he had in high school.

BamaFalcon59
08-08-2008, 09:07 PM
In all my years of watching football, Ive never seen a guy change directions without losing speed like Harvin can. his acceleration and ability to change on a dime is rare. few NFL players have ever possessed it.

The way Bush is forgotten nowadays to a so far padestrian NFL career is pretty bad.

StrongSide97
08-08-2008, 09:17 PM
The way Bush is forgotten nowadays to a so far padestrian NFL career is pretty bad.

I agree, Bush's agility and quickness at Southern Cal was by far the best that I have ever seen.

Anyways, the comparisons to Bush are accurate to me, especially when you are talking NFL future. Percy Harvin may be able to blow by a lot of collegiate players, but he's not going to be able to do so immediately in the NFL.

I really like Percy Harvin as a prospect, but he is going to face the same obstacles that Bush has so far. Now, wither or not he accomplishes more early on is another question.

LonghornsLegend
08-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I don't know about his 40, but his shuttle time will probably be one of the fastest at the combine, teams want to see guys like him pick up top speed in a small area, although nobody talks about it too much I would venture to say his time in that is more important...The guys you already know are blazers, I don't harp on their 40 times, but I like to see how well they stop and then pick back up speed.

LonghornsLegend
08-08-2008, 10:04 PM

I agree, but he just doesn't run away from guys with ease the way he did in the Pac-10...There was a play in the game vs the Cards the other nite, where he made a guy miss in the backfield, planted to turn it up field after the juke and was wrapped up immediately, I couldn't help but to think he used to make a guy miss and take it to the house...He has the physical skills still because you can see it on certain plays, he needs to work on his vision and patience first and foremost, and when he runs inside he looks uncomfortable like he always wants to bounce it back out.

He doesn't even look comfortable in the tradition RB position which is why I don't get why their forcing him to play it, he looked electric as a rookie with Duece lining up behind the QB, he played WR, RB, ran in motion, kept defenses honest...Now their making him into a pound it up the gut type of guy and I don't think he is best suited for that, he might be considered a bust but I just don't think he was cut out for this role, they will figure it out sooner or later.

BamaFalcon59
08-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Personally, I think players are too caught up in adding weight to become a 'complete' player. I'm not drafting Percy Harvin to go across the middle. I draft him to make plays. Bush has bulked up so he could become a 'feature back', but really what it has done is hurt his explosiveness. Jamaal Anderson gained weight to get stronger, keep in mind he came to college a wide receiver, but didn't know when to stop so he became slow.

rfc17
08-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I really like Percy Harvin as a prospect, but he is going to face the same obstacles that Bush has so far. Now, wither or not he accomplishes more early on is another question.

I disagree with that. Bush is a RB. he was a RB in college. and is a RB in the NFL. Harvin is a WR. any NFL team that drafts him to play RB is a fool. the guy is a WR. he needs to play WR in the NFL.

StrongSide97
08-09-2008, 07:03 AM
I disagree with that. Bush is a RB. he was a RB in college. and is a RB in the NFL. Harvin is a WR. any NFL team that drafts him to play RB is a fool. the guy is a WR. he needs to play WR in the NFL.

I know he isn't going to be drafted as a running back, unless he were to stay after this season and try to play as a full-time back at Florida.

What I mean is, is that Harvin is going to be drafted with the same type of expectations as Bush. When it comes to the amount of those expectations, that's when it comes to a different story. Reggie Bush was one of the most exciting, dynamic college football players we have ever seen and he was expected to make a fast start to the next level. Due to Harvin's talents, he will probably be expected to make a pretty quick adaptation to the NFL.

Solomon
08-09-2008, 11:39 AM
i was thinking they'd move him to full time WR considering how Moody is eligible this year and not to mention tebow stealing carries away. But it is urban meyer so he'll probably continue to use him in trick formations etc.

Chris Rainey is probably going to get his share of touches as a scatback as well.

Solomon
08-09-2008, 11:46 AM

Perhaps, but it's a bit unfair to simply dismiss his listed size according to his bio. When people call him small, it's a relative statement in terms of the other WRs out there. If you're going to just assume he's smaller than his listed size then you might as well do the same to every other prospect out there.

If he comes in at the combine smaller than his listed size then you can knock him, but right now that criticism doesn't make any more sense than me saying Michael Crabtree is slow and that his projected 40 times are based on campus timings that are often exaggerated.

When it come to ALL prospects we just have to take their campus measurements with a grain of salt until we can get something a little more objective when the combine rolls around.

urinemonkey
08-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Harvin is bust material.

Solomon
08-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Harvin is bust material.

Alright I'll bite...why?

urinemonkey
08-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Alright I'll bite...why?

cause he's a Florida WR, nuff said.

yourfavestoner
08-09-2008, 06:05 PM
cause he's a Florida WR, nuff said.

What does Percy Harvin have to do with Steve Spurrier?

urinemonkey
08-09-2008, 08:08 PM
What does Percy Harvin have to do with Steve Spurrier?

What does Steve Spurrier have to do with Chad Jackson, Dallas Baker, Jemalle Cornelius, and Andre Caldwell?

Urban Meyer's offense is funkier than Spurrier's anyway. Harvin is going to have to adjust to play a more traditional WR role in the NFL. I see him as an Antwan Randle El type player in the league, and I wouldn't trade a 1st round pick for Randle El, nor would I draft Harvin with my 1st pick.

yourfavestoner
08-09-2008, 08:16 PM
What does Steve Spurrier have to do with Chad Jackson, Dallas Baker, Jemalle Cornelius, and Andre Caldwell?

Urban Meyer's offense is funkier than Spurrier's anyway. Harvin is going to have to adjust to play a more traditional WR role in the NFL. I see him as an Antwan Randle El type player in the league, and I wouldn't trade a 1st round pick for Randle El, nor would I draft Harvin with my 1st pick.

Are you serious? Chad Jackson, Jemalle Corneilius, Dallas Baker, and Andre Caldwell? Jackson has been injured and buried on the depth chart in NE and is getting his opportunity to start this year. Cornelius was an UDFA, Baker was a 7th round pick, and Caldwell is a ******* rookie. Exactly what point were you trying to prove with those guys?

urinemonkey
08-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Are you serious? Chad Jackson, Jemalle Corneilius, Dallas Baker, and Andre Caldwell? Jackson has been injured and buried on the depth chart in NE and is getting his opportunity to start this year. Cornelius was an UDFA, Baker was a 7th round pick, and Caldwell is a ******* rookie. Exactly what point were you trying to prove with those guys?

Well, they haven't done jack so far, and won't do much in the future either. But my point was in the next paragraph, nice selective reading there.

yourfavestoner
08-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Well, they haven't done jack so far, and won't do much in the future either. But my point was in the next paragraph, nice selective reading there.

I ignored the second part because I don't necessarily disagree with you on it. Meyer's system isn't conducive towards preparing wide receivers for the NFL. My point was that there hasn't been a large enough sampling size of highly rated Meyer receivers in the NFL to determine how they'll fare. We're talking about a second round pick that has been injured, a second rounder that is a rookie, a seventh rounder, and an undrafted free agent. That group isn't exactly Ike Hilliard, Anthony Reidel, Jacquez Green, and Jabar Gaffney.

I've said many, many times that Harvin's closest comparison as a prospect is Peter Warrick, a guy who has been a complete flop at the professional level. To say that he is going to fail simply because he's a "Florida receiver" is just lazy and ignorant.

urinemonkey
08-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I ignored the second part because I don't necessarily disagree with you on it. Meyer's system isn't conducive towards preparing wide receivers for the NFL. My point was that there hasn't been a large enough sampling size of highly rated Meyer receivers in the NFL to determine how they'll fare. We're talking about a second round pick that has been injured, a second rounder that is a rookie, a seventh rounder, and an undrafted free agent. That group isn't exactly Ike Hilliard, Anthony Reidel, Jacquez Green, and Jabar Gaffney.

I've said many, many times that Harvin's closest comparison as a prospect is Peter Warrick, a guy who has been a complete flop at the professional level. To say that he is going to fail simply because he's a "Florida receiver" is just lazy and ignorant.

Fair enough. FWIW, I was sorta semi-joking with the Florida WR comment.

etk
08-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I love Harvin (as a Bucs fan, not Canes)...he has every athletic trait you look for in a skill position player. Speed, agility, quickness, explosion, balance. Simply an exceptional playmaker. Obviously he's gotten bigger but I never really questioned his size to begin with because he always had the frame and was able to bounce off tackles anyway because of his balance. Besides being an athletic marvel, he also has tremendous vision with the ball anywhere on the field. Weakness? Far from a refined receiver, so he will have a learning curve in the pros.

I think Harvin will steal the spotlight from Tebow this year and be a legitimate Heisman contender. He'll be fun to watch this year, just not in Week 2.

Iamcanadian
08-10-2008, 10:40 PM

While I agree with you that we just don't have enough examples to judge WR's who play for Meyer, I just don't see any comparison between Harvin and Warrick. Warrick ran a slow 40 at the combine, around a 4.60, he had great cutting ability but lacked the speed to seperate from NFL CB's. Believe me that's not Harvin's problem.
IMO, Harvin will be a 1st rounder if he can weigh in at least around 185lbs., quite likely a top 10 prospect or somewhere close to that. Harvin has great feet, elite speed and I'll have to see him a bit longer to see if he has great hands. If he has solid hands then a pro team will definitely draft him quite high to play WR.

Iamcanadian
08-10-2008, 10:43 PM
I love Harvin (as a Bucs fan, not Canes)...he has every athletic trait you look for in a skill position player. Speed, agility, quickness, explosion, balance. Simply an exceptional playmaker. Obviously he's gotten bigger but I never really questioned his size to begin with because he always had the frame and was able to bounce off tackles anyway because of his balance. Besides being an athletic marvel, he also has tremendous vision with the ball anywhere on the field. Weakness? Far from a refined receiver, so he will have a learning curve in the pros.

I think Harvin will steal the spotlight from Tebow this year and be a legitimate Heisman contender. He'll be fun to watch this year, just not in Week 2.

I agree with all of the above but I doubt he is a serious Heisman candidate. if Harvin has a great year that means Tebow had a great year so it will be very difficult for Harvin to pass Tebow as a WR who depends on Tebow to be successful.

Solomon
08-11-2008, 01:30 AM
I agree with all of the above but I doubt he is a serious Heisman candidate. if Harvin has a great year that means Tebow had a great year so it will be very difficult for Harvin to pass Tebow as a WR who depends on Tebow to be successful.

You're probably right in terms of stats but Harvin should have more than his share of highlight reel plays and Heisman voters love that stuff.

etk
08-11-2008, 04:53 PM

Harvin will be all over the field almost like a reverse Reggie Bush (more of a receiver than running back). UF wants to keep Tebow healthy so he won't be the focal point of the offense as much, but your point still stands as the QB/RBorWR debate rages on every time there are 2 great contenders in one offense. There were the Leinart fans and the Bush fans, no different from the White fans and Slaton (now Devine) fans. Michigan was supposed to have 3/4 contenders last year. I just think Harvin will be the man if he's healthy, and Chris Rainey will have a breakthrough too.

Trophyman34
08-13-2008, 11:26 PM
You guys must not follow Florida football...Harvin is 208 lbs. and benching over 400 lbs. (according to Urban Meyer at the SEC press conference). His playing weight this year is no more than 205 lbs. The dude has gotten in the weight room in the last year and he looks great. He will run 4.2 low, vertical 40 inches and bench 225 about 25 times at the combine. He is a top 5 player in next years draft...watch and see! Much taller than Steve Smith and much bigger and faster than Peter Warrick.

BamaFalcon59
08-13-2008, 11:31 PM
You guys must not follow Florida football...Harvin is 208 lbs. and benching over 400 lbs. (according to Urban Meyer at the SEC press conference). His playing weight this year is no more than 205 lbs. The dude has gotten in the weight room in the last year and he looks great. He will run 4.2 low, vertical 40 inches and bench 225 about 25 times at the combine. He is a top 5 player in next years draft...watch and see! Much taller than Steve Smith and much bigger and faster than Peter Warrick.

Umm, no...

roidrunner
08-13-2008, 11:34 PM
if he runs a 4.2 and below i will send you my left nut in the mail.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-13-2008, 11:55 PM
If he runs a 4.2 you can bet he'll be wearing S&B.

Trophyman34
08-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I said 4.2 low...that means somewhere between 4.20 and 4.26...and he will. Percy was timed at 4.24 last year at U of F. Keep your left nut, I have no use for it!

08-14-2008, 10:32 PM
I said 4.2 low...that means somewhere between 4.20 and 4.26...and he will. Percy was timed at 4.24 last year at U of F. Keep your left nut, I have no use for it!

You're from VB, you just may be slightly biased. ;)

keylime_5
08-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Harvin's gonna have a monster year this year. I think he's a mid to late first rounder now and after this year he'll vault into the top 15, maybe top 10. Potential is the name of the game and he is steeped in it.

roidrunner
08-14-2008, 11:03 PM
was that time electronic?

08-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Harvin's gonna have a monster year this year. I think he's a mid to late first rounder now and after this year he'll vault into the top 15, maybe top 10. Potential is the name of the game and he is steeped in it.

He's my Heisman pick and I'm expecting no less than a Bush-like monster college season. Yeah, I said it.

Trophyman34
08-15-2008, 08:17 AM
I am biased...I know the boy very well. Hand timed 4.24...he ran 4.34 electronic timed as a 16 year old boy in Texas at The Army All American Bowl combine. He ran 10.43 100 meters electronic timed as a 16 year old boy in the Virginia State beach district track meet...but yes...I am biased! Heel is not 100% but will be soon, heeling nicely!

TheBuffaloBills
08-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I am biased...I know the boy very well. Hand timed 4.24...he ran 4.34 electronic timed as a 16 year old boy in Texas at The Army All American Bowl combine. He ran 10.43 100 meters electronic timed as a 16 year old boy in the Virginia State beach district track meet...but yes...I am biased! Heel is not 100% but will be soon, heeling nicely!

This guy seems like he knows his stuff...... I honestly dont think he will break anything under 4.35

Trophyman34
08-17-2008, 09:03 PM
That is too funny...ran away from Bubba Caldwell over and over as Bubba was preparing for this years combine...and Bubba ran 4.31 at the combine...you guys are too funny!

neko4
08-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Cool another person from VB on here, I live about 5-10 mins away from Landstown

brat316
08-17-2008, 09:12 PM
That is too funny...ran away from Bubba Caldwell over and over as Bubba was preparing for this years combine...and Bubba ran 4.31 at the combine...you guys are too funny!

I am assuming you mean Andre Caldwell, he ran a 4.37.
I think Harvin runs 4.29-33.

Chris Johnson ran 4.24, the next best was Justin King 4.31

Hokie_Pokie08
08-17-2008, 10:48 PM
As long as Percy is past all the character problems that he had at Landstown his physical tools should be enough to get him drafted in the 1st round. So long as he isn't punching teachers, headbutting opposing coaches, and trashing other teams locker rooms he will be fine. I remember him as a kid playing on the Virginia Beach Heat AAU bball team and he was the farthest thing from a thug. I hope that him getting away from his Landstown people helped get him back on the right path.

eaglesfan_45
08-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Cool another person from VB on here, I live about 5-10 mins away from Landstown

kind of a random question but oh well......

Does it snow in VB?

Hokie_Pokie08
08-18-2008, 06:55 AM

Does it snow in VB?

Yes, but nothing crazy and not that often (I used to wear shorts to school in the winter monthes). Though school used to get canceled for a 1/2 inch of snow because nobody knows how to drive in it.

Trophyman34
08-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Sorry, I had a typo...meant 4.37 for Caldwell...Branch from UCONN also ran 4.31. Trouble for sure at Landstown but not 1 drop of trouble since he went to U of Florida...look around college football and all sorts of kids are getting into trouble but Percy is staying clean...you guys from Tech should know about kids getting into trouble!

neko4
08-18-2008, 09:54 AM

Does it snow in VB?
Yes, but like Hokie Pokie said, not tthat much. I would go to school in december wearing shorts, flip flops and a tee shirt. I wouldnt sugest doing that though

murdamal86
10-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Harvin is going to make a darn good pro WR.

DoWnThEfiElD
10-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Personally I think if Harvin should be used like Reggie Bush in the NFL. I think he has way more value in a role like that. I can't see him ever being a true #1 WR in the NFL. But as a hybrid RB/WR and punt returner he could be a monster.

murdamal86
10-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Personally I think if Harvin should be used like Reggie Bush in the NFL. I think he has way more value in a role like that. I can't see him ever being a true #1 WR in the NFL. But as a hybrid RB/WR and punt returner he could be a monster.

i could actually see him being a number 2 receiver in the Deshaun Jackson/Steve Smith role cause he has the skills and speed to be a number one. i don't think that it would be immediate though, it would take a few years.

CashmoneyDrew
10-24-2008, 11:42 PM
i could actually see him being a number 2 receiver in the Deshaun Jackson/Steve Smith role cause he has the skills and speed to be a number one. i don't think that it would be immediate though, it would take a few years.

Steve Smith of the Panthers is their number 1 receiver. Unless you're talking about Steve Smith of the Giants who is their number 3 or 4 I think.

dunagan15
10-25-2008, 01:03 AM
As a Gator fan here, Havin is electric. He definintly is first round talent and would be a lock at the # 2 WR selected if he hadnt been fighting injuries his whole career.

Even w/ those injuries Percy can dominate a game. In an offense last year that was strictly Tebow and Harvin, teams could still not stop him. Speed kills and he shows it.

He put on 20 lbs. in the offseason (obviously from the pictures) to be able to take all the hits. He def will be a WR in the NFL, just like a Steve Smith guy, not physical by any means, but his quickness is unbelievable. He never slows down on any cut and just runs away from people so effortlessly. As a freshman he did drop some balls but now as a junior has become a great pass catcher.

He really hasnt been too much of a deep threat for Florida (yes he has caught some bombs) but he is mostly used in crossing patterns to let him just run.

Since his freshman year he hasnt done much returning, considering the Gators have one of if not the best returner in college football in Brandom James. He has stood back on a few punts w/ James but has yet to return much of anything. Will probably have that opportunity in the pros.

Overall, if Percy can stay healthy(which is the only reason he would fall down boards) some team is going to get a great player and one of my favorite all time Gators.

murdamal86
10-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Steve Smith of the Panthers is their number 1 receiver. Unless you're talking about Steve Smith of the Giants who is their number 3 or 4 I think.

nah i was talking about the Panthers Steve Smith. I can see him being that kind of player in the NFL.

DoWnThEfiElD
10-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Saying he would be Steve Smith would be asking a lot though. Smith is a rare talent at his size and position.

I just feel in a Reggie Bush role he could have far more value than just as a #2 WR.

brat316
10-26-2008, 08:14 PM
I think he would be a slot WR/HB. I don't see him as a #2 WR. Unless he learns to be a better WR.

BBIB
10-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Saying he would be Steve Smith would be asking a lot though. Smith is a rare talent at his size and position.

I just feel in a Reggie Bush role he could have far more value than just as a #2 WR.

Well he has that speed, acceleration, and agility which makes Steve Smith so dangerous.

But route running and hands are what separates Steve Smith although I do think Harvin is underrated in those areas.

murdamal86
10-27-2008, 03:21 PM

yea i think he can be more valuable and more versatile in that Reggie Bush kind of role cause he actually runs between the tackles better than Bush (but that's comparing Harvin in between the tackles in college and Bush in between the tackles in the NFL so...).

giantsfan
10-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Harvin's hands have becoming more and more consistent throughout his time at UF. His routes are still poor, but he's shown that he'll put in the effort and work to improve. He might start out in the reggie bush Slot WR/RB role just to try and harness his big paly ability sooner, but I see him as a future starting WR, who like Steve Smith will get a lot of screens and passes that get him the ball in space as well as the more standard routes where his quickness and speed will help.

murdamal86
10-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Harvin's hands have becoming more and more consistent throughout his time at UF. His routes are still poor, but he's shown that he'll put in the effort and work to improve. He might start out in the reggie bush Slot WR/RB role just to try and harness his big paly ability sooner, but I see him as a future starting WR, who like Steve Smith will get a lot of screens and passes that get him the ball in space as well as the more standard routes where his quickness and speed will help.

being a UF fan and being able to watch him as a WR, the reason why his route running is not up to par as far as the other top WR's is because he's not running than many patterns. I know that he runs curls, 9 routes, and drag routes. i'm not saying it's his fault or calling you out, but i'm just pointing out my observation. i think he may have a 700- 1,000 total offense year in his rookie year if he gets drafted into the right situation

LonghornsLegend
10-27-2008, 08:51 PM

He may be best suited for that, but you still need an OC creative enough to put him in positions like that, but I don't think he needs to be in that role...He's gonna be raw coming out, but he has the speed, explosion and agility to play WR and let's keep in mind that more and more offenses in the NFL are going to spread sets.

That's going to make good use of his abilities, he can move well in short space and should be fine in any system as long as he can get some time to get acclomated...UF WR's do have a very high bust rate so that could go a long way with his stock.

Pokeys
10-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Its been a lonnnggggggg time since UF produced a good WR, not since 81' when the Bengals drafted Collinsworth lol. And nooo Darrell Jackson doesn't count. Anyways I like Harvin, theres not much not to like about him. His speed is top notch.

yourfavestoner
10-28-2008, 12:30 AM
He's either going to be the next Steve Smith or Peter Warrick.

Don Vito
10-28-2008, 01:10 AM
He's either going to be the next Steve Smith or Peter Warrick.

Very true. I like Harvin a lot and he has looked great every time I've seen him play, he looks like a top notch playmaker. He is not just a small guy with speed wither, he has decent size and is a pretty strong dude. He is versatile and can be a threat in the running and passing game and is a threat to score whenever he touches the ball. Harvin breaks a lot of tackles and is very explosive, but Peter Warrick was very similar to Harvin in all of these aspects and he never panned out.

Personally, I like Harvin a lot and think he will be a solid NFL receiver. He just makes plays and is so much more than a speed guy.

giantsfan
10-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Very true. I like Harvin a lot and he has looked great every time I've seen him play, he looks like a top notch playmaker. He is not just a small guy with speed wither, he has decent size and is a pretty strong dude. He is versatile and can be a threat in the running and passing game and is a threat to score whenever he touches the ball. Harvin breaks a lot of tackles and is very explosive, but Peter Warrick was very similar to Harvin in all of these aspects and he never panned out.

Personally, I like Harvin a lot and think he will be a solid NFL receiver. He just makes plays and is so much more than a speed guy.

He's a playmaker with good bulk for his size and very improving hands. Get some vet to really work on his route running at the next level and I think if he's not you're number 1 it's because you have an Andre Johnson type prototype.

BBIB
10-31-2008, 11:22 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned but I think his stock really went up when he added that bulk in the off-season and he has shown that it hasn't really hurt his athleticism that much either

Also helps that UF is featuring him more as a receiver to show his ability down the football field.

Many people think Harvin will be the Bush mold at the next level, but honestly I think he could be a legit receiver in the DeSean Jackson/Ted Ginn jr mold.

ElectricEye
10-31-2008, 11:32 PM
I think he's more DeSean Jackson than Reggie Bush. He's still trying to outgrow being a slasher for a couple of years, but I think he's really underrated right now.

Turtlepower
11-01-2008, 12:34 AM
The problem with comparing him to Desean Jackson was the Jackson was a fantastic receiver at Cal, much more than Harvin at Florida. Jackson not only put up great numbers as a receiver, but he also showed that he was a much better route runner than Harvin. I really don't like the DeSean Jackson comparison from a football standpoint.

ElectricEye
11-01-2008, 04:36 AM
I agree that he's no DeSean Jackson to this point, but I think he's closer to being that than a Reggie Bush type. He's been getting better as a target this year and he carries the extra weight he put on quite well. He has to put the work in, but I can't see any reason why he can't overcome Florida over a bit of time.

11-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I agree that he's no DeSean Jackson to this point, but I think he's closer to being that than a Reggie Bush type. He's been getting better as a target this year and he carries the extra weight he put on quite well. He has to put the work in, but I can't see any reason why he can't overcome Florida over a bit of time.

Really ? Every time I watch Harvin play I can't help but think that's Reggie on the field. The closest I've seen to Bush since his time @ SC.

STARHEATHER
11-02-2008, 12:00 AM
hes worthy of a first day pick. if he can stay healthy. problem being he never has. has some potential short term boost, but i see this one missing a lot of games. short term reward possibly. long term pretty big risk almost surely. i think if you have a good enough team you can afford to bring on it might be worth. building your receiving corps around him long term. i dont see it. good fit some teams waste pick others

giantsfan
11-02-2008, 12:26 AM
hes worthy of a first day pick. if he can stay healthy. problem being he never has. has some potential short term boost, but i see this one missing a lot of games. short term reward possibly. long term pretty big risk almost surely. i think if you have a good enough team you can afford to bring on it might be worth. building your receiving corps around him long term. i dont see it. good fit some teams waste pick others

Great post or greatest post?

ShutDwn
11-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Percy Harvin has no where near the physical toughness or tenacity of Steve Smith so stop comparing them because they are smaller players. Harvin is a finesse player, Steve Smith is no where near finesse.

Maybe a Wes Welker type.

ElectricEye
11-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Maybe a Wes Welker type.

Not really though. Welker runs amazing routes and has awesome hands. Harvin does neither of those things well. He's just mostly a raw athlete at this point. He also has more than enough speed to be a consistent deep threat...and that's not Welker game.

BamaFalcon59
11-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Wes Welker is smaller and much, much slower than Harvin. Welker is a possesion receiver, Harvin is a big play threat. That is a horrible comparison.

BBIB
11-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Really ? Every time I watch Harvin play I can't help but think that's Reggie on the field. The closest I've seen to Bush since his time @ SC.

I don't think Bush is near the threat as a receiver beyond 10 yards that Harvin has shown to be.

illmatic74
11-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I don't think Bush is near the threat as a receiver beyond 10 yards that Harvin has shown to be. Bush hasn't run a lot of deep routes as a Saint. But he showed a major recieving threat beyond 10 yards in college obviously.

Staubach12
11-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Wes Welker is smaller and much, much slower than Harvin. Welker is a possesion receiver, Harvin is a big play threat. That is a horrible comparison.

Woah, now. Welker has some jets and pretty good agility. I think you're underrating him. Obviously Harvin is faster and a bit bigger. However, Welker is not a possession receiver at all IMHO. I actually don't think it's a bad comparison. Not fantastic, but not horrible, either.

ElectricEye
11-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Woah, now. Welker has some jets and pretty good agility. I think you're underrating him. Obviously Harvin is faster and a bit bigger. However, Welker is not a possession receiver at all IMHO. I actually don't think it's a bad comparison. Not fantastic, but not horrible, either.

Welker isn't a possession receiver, but he's not a deep threat either. Most the routes he gets open on are 5-10 yards deep. Welker isn't that fast either. I wouldn't call him a possession receiver, but he's a pure quicks slot guy for sure. Harvin is hardly that type of player. He should be a weapon past that ten yard area. This is coming from a Patriots fan who just might be slightly hot for Welker.

BamaFalcon59
11-02-2008, 08:33 PM

How is Welker not a possesion receiver? Almost all of his receptions come from screens or underneath routes. Welker has a career yard per catch average of 10.7 yards (32.1 feet approximately), and a long catch of 47 yards (141 feet). He has average speed at best, Harvin has great speed. Harvin's superior size also allows him to be a better deep threat.

Flyboy
11-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't think Bush is near the threat as a receiver beyond 10 yards that Harvin has shown to be.

I don't think you really watched Bush in his days at USC.

Iamcanadian
11-02-2008, 09:17 PM

Peter Warrick ran a 4.60 at the combine. He never had the elite speed that Harvin has.

Iamcanadian
11-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Harvin if he declares, has mid 1st round potential. His injuries might cost him a bit on draft day but he is an elite prospect with a very high ceiling.

BBIB
11-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't think you really watched Bush in his days at USC.

Sure they got Bush matched up on a LB often times on the wheel route out of the backfield and even lined him up as receiver a few times. But there are some routes and catches that I've seen Percy Harvin make 40-50 yards down the field that I just don't see Reggie making.

DoWnThEfiElD
11-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Sure they got Bush matched up on a LB often times on the wheel route out of the backfield and even lined him up as receiver a few times. But there are some routes and catches that I've seen Percy Harvin make 40-50 yards down the field that I just don't see Reggie making.

It's how they are utilized though. They are very similar players. I think you line him up all over the field in the NFL. Put him in the backfield, the slot, outside, returning punts, heck even create a wildcat offense for him. Thats where his true value is. You can do much better with him than just a #2 WR.

Playing in the offense he was in, I don't think helped his ability as a WR. He is going to need time to develop those skills, which could take a while. So at least for a while he needs to be Reggie Bush, before he develops to Steve Smtih.

Staubach12
11-03-2008, 07:19 PM
How is Welker not a possesion receiver? Almost all of his receptions come from screens or underneath routes. Welker has a career yard per catch average of 10.7 yards (32.1 feet approximately), and a long catch of 47 yards (141 feet). He has average speed at best, Harvin has great speed. Harvin's superior size also allows him to be a better deep threat.

The Patriots like to use Welker underneath not because he lacks certain abilities but because of the fact that the holes there are massive due to Moss' threat to strike down the field. Also, in short passes, you maximize Welker's ability to use that agility to get yards. Welker plays faster than he times, and I think we can all agree to that.

BamaFalcon59
11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I don't. He has never, in his career, had a reception over 48 yards. He isn't fast. He runs a 4.6. He is just very quick and runs good routes.

Staubach12
11-03-2008, 10:35 PM
I never said he was a great deep threat, I just said he was more dynamic than your prototypical possession receiver.

Brent
11-03-2008, 10:43 PM
is it me or does he look a lot more buff than last year?

Malaka
11-03-2008, 10:45 PM

He bulked up from last year, so it is isn't you, he is a lot more buff.

ElectricEye
11-03-2008, 10:46 PM

http://gatorcountry.smugmug.com/photos/339530221_awj2M-M.jpg
Nope.