PDA

View Full Version : Javon Walker Almost Retires

BmoreBlackByrdz
08-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Raiders WR Javon Walker told the Raiders Thursday he intended to retire and offered to return his $11 million signing bonus.
Owner Al Davis reportedly persuaded him to remain with the team. Walker has struggled with his performance in camp so far, but nobody expected something this drastic. Walker's knee doesn't appear to be getting better, and he obviously has some mental hurdles to clear after a trying offseason. All of the troubled receiver's red flags should keep him on your "do not draft" list for now.
Source: ESPN.com

Wow, Im speechless.

if there is already a thread regarding this, I apologize.

08-02-2008, 12:44 PM
You should change the thread title. You scared me for a sec.

Gay Ork Wang
08-02-2008, 12:48 PM
that wouldve been to funny

thebow305
08-02-2008, 12:50 PM

Yes, a VERY misleading thread title.

BmoreBlackByrdz
08-02-2008, 12:53 PM
whoa, sorry guys I guess I didnt read it carefully. I got to excited lol, It says here that he was talked out of it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3516068

sorry about that...

ChezPower4
08-02-2008, 12:55 PM

I thought he pulled a Quinn Pitcock here but very interesting though. Hopefully he'll be able to get over his knee troubles

Paranoidmoonduck
08-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Hopefully he gets over his personal troubles as well.

CC.SD
08-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Prepare for the Curry experience.

Gay Ork Wang
08-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Drew Carter will light it up!

RaiderNation
08-02-2008, 02:14 PM
If Walker is going to play bad this year i hope he retires.

Young Legend
08-02-2008, 03:24 PM
that wouldve been to funny

Not really it would of saved a crap load of money. Walker has been playing like crap and knows that right now he is the 3rd WR on this team.

BlindSite
08-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Does anyone else think the whole Darrent Williams thing might have had a bigger impact on his life?

Twiddler
08-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Does anyone else think the whole Darrent Williams thing might have had a bigger impact on his life?

I know I'm getting that feeling.

BlindSite
08-02-2008, 06:32 PM
It seems like since it occurred he's had issues with fighting or drinking or team mates or coaches or management or whatever (rumored or substantiated). Sort of says to me that he's not head straight.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-02-2008, 06:41 PM

There's no way it didn't affect him. None of us would be feeling fine here if we were in a limo with one of our best friends, and he died in our arms.

Flyboy
08-02-2008, 06:48 PM

Without question.

BlindSite
08-02-2008, 07:09 PM
There's no way it didn't affect him. None of us would be feeling fine here if we were in a limo with one of our best friends, and he died in our arms.

I'm not saying it wouldn't I'm thinking more towards a form of PTSD or something.

Geo
08-02-2008, 07:24 PM
If there was any doubt before, Al Davis definitely wants Walker on his team and for his young quarterback. He had an out, but opted to pass and talk Walker into sticking with it. A bit surprising, I might have taken the money back and said farewell.

BlindSite
08-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Maybe Davis wants to help walker as a person? Its strange in this day and age and a little but walt disney but you never know.

Scotty D
08-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I respect Al Davis for doing what he did. He didn't have to do that.

Bucs_Rule
08-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Davis should have been thrilled that he wanted to retire. I thought he was way overpaid when he was signed. Now that he's having big problems in camp he's even more overpaid and likely will get cut in within a couple seasons.

But since Davis thoguht he was worth a ton of money before he's not likely to change that opinion without seeing him play.

Malaka
08-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Honestly, I am very happy he didn't retire. Truly, Javon Walker needs help, and him retiring will spiral him into a deep depression, he has been through so much, the death of his best friend Darrent Williams, and then getting beat up in Las Vegas, not to mention he still has to take the daily beating and training every other NFL player endures.

Say what you want, that he quit on his teams, bad-mouthed coaches and teammates, and acted immaturely. Javon had all the potential in the world, and just has gone through a lot of set backs in his career. The reason he wanted to retire is because of lackluster play by him training camp, but you may or may not realize how good of a thing Al Davis did. Sure, he could have gotten rid of a big contract, who has been beaten up and not performing well in camp, but Javon is in need of serious help right now. Al Davis is trying to be that help, because Javon needs someone to fallback on, and if he stays on the Raiders he still has them as a "family". If Javon retired, I think we would have committed suicide, I truly do, their would be nothing to take his mind off what has become of his life.

I truly wish Javon the best, and I hope he can get a 2nd chance in Oakland.

yourfavestoner
08-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm not saying it wouldn't I'm thinking more towards a form of PTSD or something.

I think you're right about him having ptsd. he needs all the support and help he can get right now.