PDA

View Full Version : Jim Brown Suing EA

Bruce
08-03-2008, 12:24 AM
After years of barging over husky defenders on the gridiron, ex-Cleveland Browns running back Jim Brown is attempting to tackle two serious video game heavyweights in court.

According to Bloomberg, Brown has filed suit against Sony Computer Entertainment America and Electronic Arts over using his likeness in the popular Madden football series. He seeks a court order preventing either company from continuing to use his likeness in the franchise as well as damages stemming from trademark violation.

At issue is the starting running back on Madden's "All Browns Team." The character is African-American and bears the same jersey number Brown made famous -- number 32. In the suit, Brown claims that he "never signed away any rights that would allow his likeness to be used."

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/football-great-jim-brown-suing-ea-sony/1234058

yo123
08-03-2008, 12:29 AM
I don't understand what his point is. They didn't use his name.

Staubach12
08-03-2008, 12:30 AM
This is stupid, he's just looking for cash.

LonghornsLegend
08-03-2008, 12:31 AM
If they don't use his name I doubt he wins...same deal as the Bulls always having 'roster player #23' on their team but he always was light skinned and a bald head, same difference.

BRAVEHEART
08-03-2008, 12:37 AM
I'd sue EA just to sue them. I hate those sockcuckers and hope that they burn in their greed and shatty games.

BlindSite
08-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Why doesn't he just go bash some more women or make crappy movies, his other past times outside of football.

He was an amazing player, but he's a douche bag.

neko4
08-03-2008, 12:50 AM
EA Sports should be sued, just over something else...

http://www.artline.ro/admin/_files/newsannounce/monopoly.gif

Which might happen:

On June 5, 2008, a lawsuit was filed in Oakland, California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland%2C_California) alleging Electronic Arts is breaking United States anti-trust laws by signing exclusive contracts with the NFL Players Association, the NCAA and Arena Football League, to use players' names, likenesses and team logos. This keeps other companies from being able to sign the same agreements. The suit further accuses EA of raising the price of games associated with these licenses as a result of this action. [52] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA#cite_note-51) However, in an interview with GameTap, Peter Moore claims it was the NFL that sought the deal. "To be clear, the NFL was the entity that wanted the exclusive relationship. EA bid, as did a number of other companies, for the exclusive relationship," Moore explained. "It wasn't on our behest that this went exclusive... We bid and we were very fortunate and lucky and delighted to be the winning licensee

Paranoidmoonduck
08-03-2008, 01:31 AM
The NFL did request the exclusivity deal.

BRAVEHEART
08-03-2008, 01:37 AM

EA is still whack. I wouldn't be mad at them if they didn't make half-assed games.

Shane P. Hallam
08-03-2008, 01:46 AM
Well, Brown will lose, easily. Look at it this way, if he would win, that leaves a potential lawsuit for EVERY player in the NCAA and anyone on the yeared or all-time teams. Courts simply won't do it.

As for a monopoly, EA doesn't have one. It goes back to the WWE effect. When Vince McMahon bought up WCW, ECW, etc, people thought he would get hit with an anti-trust. Fact is, under the guise of sports [entertainment] there is a wider area of the topic. The WWE competes with football, basketball, etc.

For EA, they are under the guise of a video game. They compete with every other company that makes a video game out there. Exactly what happens in their game makes no difference in terms of anti-trust.

Smokey Joe
08-03-2008, 08:44 AM
If that deal never happened, I could be playing MVP 2008 right now on my PS3... :(

Bruce
08-03-2008, 10:45 AM
If that deal never happened, I could be playing MVP 2008 right now on my PS3... :(NFL 2K5 is still the best FB VG to date.

Smokey Joe
08-03-2008, 10:46 AM
NFL 2K5 is still the best FB VG to date.
So, MVP 2005 is still the best sports game to date.

Bruce
08-03-2008, 10:55 AM
So, MVP 2005 is still the best sports game to date.Baseball games aren't fun.

eaglesalltheway
08-03-2008, 11:15 AM

Yes indeeed it is, I still play that from time to time, so much better than any Madden game.

MetSox17
08-03-2008, 01:48 PM
So, MVP 2005 is still the best sports game to date.

I still play Dynasty mode on MVP to date.

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM

OMG man i love you, that is exactly my favorite football video game game. I still have it but kinda stopped playing since it's old and it freezes a lot. I never bought a madden game after i played that.