PDA

View Full Version : Is this Georgia team for real???

rockio42
08-03-2008, 11:54 AM
I've heard a lot of talk about how Georgia is going to be one of the best teams in College football this next year but all I've heard about is Knowshon Moreno and Matthew Stafford but are there any guys on the defensive side of the ball that will make a big splash this season and follow up Georgia greats like Richard Seymour, Marcus Stroud, and Charles Grant????

Shane P. Hallam
08-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Easily my man. Even just looking at seniors you have some impact players.

DE: Jeremy Lomax, Jarius Wynn

DT: Jeff Owens

LB: Dannell Ellerbe

yourfavestoner
08-03-2008, 12:13 PM
are they for real with talent? absolutely. will the team as a whole live up to expectations? probably not.

fenikz
08-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Jeremy Lomax DE
Geno Atkins DT
Kade Weston DT
Rennie Curran OLB

P-L
08-03-2008, 12:22 PM
are they for real with talent? absolutely. will the team as a whole live up to expectations? probably not.
I just can't see how they make it through that schedule. They're the best team in college football for my money, but they won't survive the schedule.

Hines
08-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Dont forget about Asher Allen at corner for them who is developing into a good one. They also have depth pretty much at every offensive position, really at running back.

fenikz
08-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Caleb King has enough talent to be the starting RB, one of the main reasons I see Moreno leaving early

BRAVEHEART
08-03-2008, 01:37 PM
They're a talented team, and I can see them making it to the NC....but Stafford needs to step his game up and work on his consistency. If they can beat florida and tenn then they'll be in good shape.

M.O.T.H.
08-03-2008, 01:48 PM
They're going to lose to the Gamecocks for consecutive seasons. :D

Hopefully, Stafford's trend of sucking against SCAR continues.

Staubach12
08-03-2008, 01:52 PM
This years draft:

Stafford has the tools to be a great pro prospect, but he needs to prove himself. He hasn't done anything right now, and to be that top QB, he needs to become an elite college QB this year.

Knowshon Moreno is obviously an elite talent, a top-5 pick. He has proven himself.

Dannell Ellerbe is a very good ILB, one of my favorites in the upcoming senior class. This guy is going to be a very good prospect.

Mohamed Massaquoi is really a mystery to me. His stock hinges on this year.

Jeremy Lomax is a guy I could see having a big year. He was a rotational player last year, specializing in pass-rushing. I'd like to see him put it together.

Jairus Wynn is a rotational DE, but unlike Lomax, he isn't starting this year. Late round sleeper. I like him.

C.J. Byrd is a late round prospect at SS. Solid guy, not very special.

Sniper
08-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Knowshon Moreno is obviously an elite talent, a top-5 pick. He has proven himself.

Top 5 pick but the number 2 RB? Tough class I guess.

fenikz
08-03-2008, 03:17 PM

just because Beanie can tear apart a weak big 10 doesn't make him the #1 RB

keylime_5
08-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Like when he shredded LSU's defense for around 150 and 7 ypc? Little guys like Knowshon are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

bored of education
08-03-2008, 03:34 PM
They have such a tough schedule, I'll be shocked if they finish the year with just one loss. I think they are for real, but that schedule is a *****.

Staubach12
08-03-2008, 03:38 PM

I've talked about this before...

Beanie Wells is a fantastic RB, BUT he will not be picked in the top-10. Beanie lacks top-end speed, which is big for scouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1pEQIjEdRc&feature=related

I'm usually not a big fan of highlight reels, but this one proves my point: He is consistently caught from behind. His big LSU run is a product of terrible angles and pursuit by the LSU defense.

Moreno is faster and more elusive, yet still plays with power and intensity. Let's also not forget that Moreno played in a tougher conference and is a better receiver.

Shane P. Hallam
08-03-2008, 03:45 PM
This thread isn't about Knowshon, it's about Georgia's defense. Let's stay on task.

LonghornsLegend
08-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I just can't see how they make it through that schedule. They're the best team in college football for my money, but they won't survive the schedule.

That was my point, but I could easily see a setup like last year with LSU...They had a brutal schedule, lost 2 games, but still made it to the NC due to other teams falling off...I would be surprised to see them make it without 2 losses this year.

Shane P. Hallam
08-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I think Georgia will get that benefit, more so than a USC, Oklahoma or Ohio State if they have one loss.

What concerns me about Georgia is their secondary. Asher Allen may be able to step it up this year, but past him, nothing excites me.

Cunningham
08-03-2008, 05:35 PM
i don't think anyone has mentioned reshad jones yet, one of the more talented underclassmen in the nation

ThePudge
08-03-2008, 07:59 PM
I'd have to agree with the consensus. There is no doubt that they are a great team, perhaps the best Georgia team in years. I'm a big Moreno fan and their defense is top notch.

However, I think there's far too many people out there just assuming Matthew Stafford will live up to the hype. He's shown flashes of brilliance, he's as physically gifted as anyone, still there have to be a few doubts. He's largely unproven. Was there a question in anyone's mind that it was UGA's defense and running game that powered them over Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl? In Georgia's two losses last season Stafford threw 77 times, 35 of those passes were completed, good for 45.4%. In those two games his efficiency ratings were 48.8 and 72.0. I question Georgia's chances if they have to rely on Stafford in any of those tough conference games. If the running game's not working, Stafford will have to shoulder the pressure. I'm anxiously awaiting this. Not because I think he'll fail exactly, but because that's his biggest question mark and in turn the team's biggest question mark.

With road games at South Carolina, Arizona State, LSU, and Auburn, not to mention their annual matchup with Florida in Jacksonville, you have to think he'll slip up once.

Rob S
08-03-2008, 08:32 PM

yeah....they will pick up a loss and the team that beats them will pick up a loss to someone else who has lost.....thats the nature of the SEC beast. A one loss SEC team absolutely deserves a spot in the title game for my money.

Im_a_Romosexual
08-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Sat, Oct 25 @LSU
Sat, Nov 01 vs Florida in Jacksonville
Sat, Nov 08 @Kentucky
Sat, Nov 15 @Auburn

no shot at BCS championship IMO, due to this brutal stretch of road games at the end of the season. Unless it's like last year when there was a 2 loss team is in, since I don't think they will have less than 2 L's by the end of the season.

Very talented team though

Malaka
08-03-2008, 08:40 PM
I love Georgia, it will be fun watching them, and I hope Stafford proves himself, and they do get under 2 losses but I don't see it happening.

Sniper
08-03-2008, 09:24 PM
This thread isn't about Knowshon, it's about Georgia's defense. Let's stay on task.

Really? ***Looks at thread title*** Really?

themaninblack
08-03-2008, 09:34 PM
A good portion of the talent on this Defense(like the team in general) is in the underclassmen. Players like Rennie Curran, Roderick Battle, Reshad Jones, Akeem Dent, and Akeem Hebron are going to need to fulfill their potential to make this very talented defense become great. The talent is there at almost every single position, they just need to build upon what they accomplished last season.

Watch out for Caleb King at RB this year as well. I expect big things between him and Knowshon. They could be the best RB duo in the country by season's end.

Unbiased
08-03-2008, 10:21 PM

Read the damn first post and see what the thread creator wants to know.

Shane P. Hallam
08-03-2008, 10:23 PM

Maybe reading posts would help...

Sniper
08-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Maybe reading posts would help...

I read the title. Perhaps if it asked "Is this Georgia defense for real?" might make it a little clearer. Maybe putting titles that correspond with posts would help.

Who gives a **** anyways? UGA isn't making it to the national title game anyways.

saer
08-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Read the damn first post and see what the thread creator wants to know.

Look at the damn title to see the topic of the thread. Last time I checked, Moreno is on Georgia's football team. :/

Unbiased
08-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I've heard a lot of talk about how Georgia is going to be one of the best teams in College football this next year but all I've heard about is Knowshon Moreno and Matthew Stafford but are there any guys on the defensive side of the ball that will make a big splash this season and follow up Georgia greats like Richard Seymour, Marcus Stroud, and Charles Grant????

Yes, Jeff Owens and Geno Atkins. Owens has incredible strength, as demonstrated by his 535 lb bench press. I don't expect Atkins to enter the 2009 draft, but he is a great player in his own right. Owens is a great nose tackle prospect.

Unbiased
08-03-2008, 10:31 PM
"I've heard a lot of talk about how Georgia is going to be one of the best teams in College football this next year but all I've heard about is Knowshon Moreno and Matthew Stafford but are there any guys on the defensive side of the ball that will make a big splash this season and follow up Georgia greats like Richard Seymour, Marcus Stroud, and Charles Grant????"

Bringing up Chris Wells does nothing to answer the question.

Unbiased
08-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Look at the damn title to see the topic of the thread. Last time I checked, Moreno is on Georgia's football team. :/

Wells isn't.

saer
08-03-2008, 10:38 PM

hmmm...... JBond says otherwise but oh well this is pointless lol :D

rockio42
08-04-2008, 01:04 AM
I read the title. Perhaps if it asked "Is this Georgia defense for real?" might make it a little clearer. Maybe putting titles that correspond with posts would help.

Who gives a **** anyways? UGA isn't making it to the national title game anyways.

My bad Sniper, I was trying to ask both questions by asking does thier defense have any 1st round guys that will help solidify the team as one of the tops in the nation

Sniper
08-04-2008, 08:08 AM
My bad Sniper, I was trying to ask both questions by asking does thier defense have any 1st round guys that will help solidify the team as one of the tops in the nation

Not a problem. This is being made into a bigger deal than it needs to. I'll drop it.

BigJohn98
08-04-2008, 09:35 AM

When I looked at Florida's schedule back in 06, I said they would lose atleast four games. How did their season end?

ThePudge
08-04-2008, 11:48 AM
When I looked at Florida's schedule back in 06, I said they would lose atleast four games. How did their season end?

Florida was beaten by Auburn that year, but made it to the BCS Championship after USC and Michigan both dropped their final games of the season. There is no guarantee, though, that two elite teams will not go undefeated.

I don't believe an SEC team will make it this season, from top to bottom that division is very talented and it's very hard to imagine Georgia winning in Baton Rouge, South Carolina, down at Auburn, and in Jacksonville against Florida. That goes for a team like Florida too who has to play, of course, Georgia, LSU, and they're in Rocky Top against Tennessee. I'd actually give Florida the slight edge in the SEC though with their more favorable schedule, more explosive offense, and improved defense.

I think the game will likely come down to USC/Ohio State vs. Oklahoma. The Sooners have a very solid team top to bottom and they play only two ranked teams over the course of the regular season (Texas and they are at home against Texas Tech). They are probably the top team with the easiest road to the National Championship. Also, there are not many more great obstacles for Ohio State or USC after their meeting in early September. So, that's why I believe it'll be those three teams in the real hunt.

As for the Bulldogs defense, they're a good unit. Dannell Ellerbe is the headliner at this point, drawing comparisons to Odell Thurman. He has the same number, very similar size and is the active playmaker that Odell was at UGA. Rennie Curran is an undersized linebacker but was a pleasant surprise a year ago. Now a sophomore, Curran could flourish and become a college star.

keylime_5
08-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Well Florida won the title with one loss, LSU won it with two losses. I don't think UGA will go undefeated, but I also don't think they'll lose more than 2 games. I think 1 loss is about what they should have, and with just one loss that means that 2 teams would have to go undefeated for them to not go to MIami for the NC (unless something crazy happens like Florida also has one loss but beats UGA). USC/OSU winner vs. UGA/UF winner imo, with maybe missouri, west virginia, or oklahoma getting in if the winner of those games loses later on in the year.

Iamcanadian
08-04-2008, 11:18 PM
IMO, Ohio St. is the team to beat. They got in last year's National Championship game by playing a weak schedule during a rebuilding stage. Well, they have practically everybody back on both sides of the ball and I can see them dominating everybody this coming season. They will also be playing with a chip on their shoulder.
The SEC champion should be their opponent but one will have to survive with a 1 loss season to accomplish it. I guarantee you, a 2 loss team won't get in as there are a lot of much stronger teams this year with 2 or 3 practically guaranteed to finish with only 1 loss.
It will be a crying shame if the SEC champion losses 2 games which is obviously quite possible.
Oklahoma is probably the most serious threat as they play in the very weak Big 12 and may well go undefeated and get picked over the SEC Champion.
West Virgina I would rank higher but with a new HC, that's a tough call.
USC is simply breaking in too many replacements and has the look of a rebuilding team no matter how much talent they have.

georgiafan
08-11-2008, 12:14 PM
A prospect that everyone needs to remember that isn't a big name yet is FS Reshard Jones. Even though he didn't start last year he was still 3rd on the team with 57 tackles (43 solo) and also had 2 interceptions. He is the clear cut starter now and will no doubt see his stats go up. Even though he is only a redshirt sophmore there is still a chance he could leave school early. He is listed at 6'2 205 but I believe that he weighs more then that now. You can tell he has been working out alot as his arms wasn't this big last year.

let me know if I need to take these pics down
http://thedawgpost.com/2008/sp/2008072201.jpg

http://thedawgpost.com/2008/sp/2008072203.jpg

Byrd430
08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
It's gonna be extremely hard for Georgia to win the SEC East, let alone the SEC or a Nat'l Championship. Florida has a much more favorable schedule and is perhaps just as talented as Georgia. Then, you have a Tennessee team who is always a threat every year regardless of talent level and a South Carolina team who started out 6-0 last season.

Then, you'll have to contend with both LSU and Auburn on the road, plus take on an improving Alabama team who is poised for a big upset this year. Not to mention playing one of these teams in the SEC title game if you make it that far.

So...schedule-wise you got:

@SCAR
@Arizona State
Alabama
Tennessee

in a four-game stretch from Sep 13-Oct 11.

Then you get Vandy before taking on another four-game stretch:

@LSU
Florida (in Jacksonville)
@Kentucky
@Auburn

Then, you get Georgia Tech before taking on the SEC West Champs.

This schedule is very difficult to get through, but this team is talented enough to escape with 1-2 losses. Problem is, teams like West Virginia, USC, and Ohio State will be going through much easier schedules, and all of them are talented enough to go undefeated (although both USC AND Ohio State can't go undefeated together...).

Then, you'll also have to factor in Oklahoma/Missouri along with any surprise teams such as a Notre Dame, Clemson, or South Florida (just to name a few..)

So, will they be the Number One team at the end of the year? Prolly not.

Is this team for real? They sure as hell can be.

Don Vito
08-13-2008, 02:17 PM
A prospect that everyone needs to remember that isn't a big name yet is FS Reshard Jones. Even though he didn't start last year he was still 3rd on the team with 57 tackles (43 solo) and also had 2 interceptions. He is the clear cut starter now and will no doubt see his stats go up. Even though he is only a redshirt sophmore there is still a chance he could leave school early. He is listed at 6'2 205 but I believe that he weighs more then that now. You can tell he has been working out alot as his arms wasn't this big last year.

let me know if I need to take these pics down

I think Jones will stay in school. William Moore and Taylor Mays have the potential to be elite safety prospects ala Sean Taylor and Laron Landry, and I think Jones has that potential as well. He is a monster physically and if he continues to develop he will really be special.

Geo
08-14-2008, 07:41 PM
An important note imo:
@LSU new starting QB
Florida (in Jacksonville)
@Kentucky new starting QB
@Auburn new starting QB
If the aggressive defense can take advantage of the inexperience of those quarterbacks, that can help lead them to victory on the road.

Race for the Heisman
09-27-2008, 07:29 PM
How legit is Asher Allen? He's caught my eye every time I've watched Georgia play, which is usually a quick way into my good graces. What are the chances he comes out and if he does this year where would you rank him? I want to say he reminds me of Terrell Thomas, but I haven't really seen enough of him to make a concrete comparison.

BigBanger
09-28-2008, 12:31 AM
How legit is Asher Allen? He's caught my eye every time I've watched Georgia play, which is usually a quick way into my good graces. What are the chances he comes out and if he does this year where would you rank him? I want to say he reminds me of Terrell Thomas, but I haven't really seen enough of him to make a concrete comparison.
Asher Allen and Reshard Jones are two of the best DBs in the country. I've compared Allen's coverage skills to Charles Woodson. He is VERY physical at the LOS, and gets one of the best jams I've seen by any CB (Brandon Flowers was awesome too). His hips are so fluid. He seems to have very good speed. Excellent footwork. He looks like a much better athlete than Terrell Thomas. He had a great Bowl Game, and he's been climbing ever since. Right now he's in a 3-way battle for my #3 CB ranking. I think he's a first round prospect, and one of the best CBs in this draft.

1. Vontae Davis, Illinois
2. Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State (FS)
3. Asher Allen, Georgia
4. Victor "Macho" Harris, Virginia Tech (FS)
5. Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest (He could rise the most for me by the end of the season)