PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Edwards

T-RICH49
03-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Do you think there is a chance Carl mill make a push to bring him back?he is a FA and with Mitchell possibly being gone he could fit the cover 2 perfectly

bored of education
03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
I think so, but I'd like to pick up Bishop, Durant, Washington, DeOssie in the 5th

Ho0k Em'
03-01-2007, 12:57 PM
I love Donnie, but I would rather just build through the draft and deal with a couple meh.. years. I don't want us to overpay veterans anymore.

Hermstheman83
03-01-2007, 03:13 PM
I agree Hook'em, Let's build through the draft. I got another question: Why do people think KC is going to draft a CB in the first round? I'm hoping on Willis from Ole' Miss(assuming Kawika leaves).

Splat
03-01-2007, 07:22 PM
I love Donnie, but I would rather just build through the draft and deal with a couple meh.. years. I don't want us to overpay veterans anymore.

I agree I don't want to over pay for another player over 30 we have enough of that I think the Saints will get him.

USAF Chief
03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Because Chris Houston is the man Herm ... He's shooting up draft boards.

Assuming we get rid of LJ and get a top 10 selection we could take DT with that pick and then grab Houston later @ 23 and grab a LT in the second round (Ugoh or Staley possibly) and that would be an excellent draft. Try and get Jacoby Jones possibly or maybe Yamon Figurs who looks to be a great gunner on ST and could return punts/kicks instead of Dante and actually has a chance to be a good WR.

Later.

Splat
03-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Stop the if we get rid of LJ stuff he is staying.

bored of education
03-01-2007, 09:40 PM
If Willis is there I WANT HIM, same with Okoye or Brown

here is the big board

1. Okoye
2. Willis
3. Brown
4. Meachem
5. Houston
6. Hall
7. Bowe
8. Jarrett
9. Rice
10. Ross

T-RICH49
03-02-2007, 12:12 AM
yeah but my dream scenario is draft Willis and have him play MLB and have Donnie play OLB opposite DJ.DJ, Willis and Donnie that would be AWESOME

bored of education
03-02-2007, 12:33 AM
yeah that would be sick..have fox and bell to rotate in..and maybe one would step up and want to take edwards spot

Hermstheman83
03-07-2007, 11:48 PM
I wonder if we sign Donnie Edwards, and then Cut Kendrell Bell(or trading him would be beneficial eh?) then our LB core would be flippin' solid for like two years, untill Donnie Retires.

T-RICH49
03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
yeah I think te writing is on the wall for Bell

Hermstheman83
03-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Why do you thin Bell has been a bust for us? I mean, wasn't he the rookie of the year when he played for the steelers? Is it the scheme or what?

T-RICH49
03-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Why do you thin Bell has been a bust for us? I mean, wasn't he the rookie of the year when he played for the steelers? Is it the scheme or what?

I personally think he is better as a 3-4 ILB more then a 4-3 OLB

villagewarrior
03-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Stop the if we get rid of LJ stuff he is staying.

Are you censoring his comments? If people wanna talk about LJ leaving then let them, why does it bother you?

Ho0k Em'
03-08-2007, 02:54 PM
I personally think he is better as a 3-4 ILB more then a 4-3 OLB

Ya, it's clearly obvious that he does not have the range to be a 4-3 OLB.

Splat
03-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Are you censoring his comments? If people wanna talk about LJ leaving then let them, why does it bother you?

If they can talk about it then I can say it is a bad move.

villagewarrior
03-10-2007, 06:10 PM
If they can talk about it then I can say it is a bad move.

Sure, you can say that. But that's not what you said.

Hermstheman83
03-11-2007, 12:41 AM
So with Donnie, I think we can safely say that Kawika and Bell are done?

bored of education
03-11-2007, 12:43 AM
I'd say so. Get bell the hell out of there. Fox is good for backing up either DJ or DE whenever need be.

USAF Chief
03-11-2007, 06:19 AM
According to reports this morning, Bell is staying. Apparently they believe he is still a "versatile" player. I prefer to call him a "turnstile" player because they can run right by him and all he does is turn and look at them run by.

I guess if he's going to sit the bench and it's going to cost us the same amount of money to keep him as it would to can him, no reason to not have him filling up a depth role.

If we plan to sign a couple more free agents (presumably fairly young ones like Scott) we are going to need to declare a couple June 1st cuts soon I would think. I expect to see Hicks and Sims gone and Wesley or Trent traded within 7 days.

Later.

Hermstheman83
03-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Wow..this offseason is amazing on the defensive side of the ball: Napoleon Harris, Donnie Edwards, Perhaps Ian Scott....and we'll probably get a 5th round pick via Green and something better for Wesley. One thing Herm knows how to do is build an awesome defense. With all these upgrades, do you think this next year will still be a rebuilding one? The Ravens has shown that you don't need to have an offense to win a championship(I wouldn't go that far) but using the things we're doing right now, what do you think our record will be next year? I think 10-6

JK17
03-11-2007, 09:52 PM
I am a Charger fan, so obviously I may show some bias here, but Donnie Edwards is not the linebacker he used to be. He will help out in the pass coverage aspects of the defense, but he is a liability in the run game. The biggest thing analysts like about Donnie is how many tackles he gets, and the argument is beaten to death but most of those are made in the passing game, or downfield. He may be an upgrade, but he certainly has a lot of flaws that could be exploited by teams that have enjoyed running success in the AFC West(San Diego and Denver). He will significantly increase pass coverage though.

Hermstheman83
03-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Yea, Donnie Edwards is a stud compared to Kendral Bell. I think a four-assed monkey would be an improvement over KB. :)

T-RICH49
03-11-2007, 11:18 PM
I never rember Donnie having trouble helping in run support.He is a significant upgrade over Bell

JK17
03-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I never rember Donnie having trouble helping in run support.He is a significant upgrade over Bell

At least, the way it was in SD, he wasn't horrible in run support, he was always around the ball, which is his strong point, the problem is it tends to be 4-5 yards downfield where he meets the ballcarrier. His pass defense is certainly strong though. I was always on AJ's side in the AJ-Donnie dispute, and wasn't a huge Donnie fan to begin with, but that aspect of his game will be hard to make up for for SD.

USAF Chief
03-12-2007, 06:22 PM
He'll play weakside with Allen in theory, and Allen is pretty good at applying the pressure upfield so Donnie layin back a few yard wouldn't be a bad thing necessarily. I think our main reason for picking him up is not run support. We are getting Donnie back as a stopgap to play for the Cover 2 while we find someone who can take that position off his hands long term.

He doesn't have to play the position like a superstar because we know he's on the tail end of his career, but like others before me have said - when your replacing Bell something is better than nothing.

Out.

bored of education
03-12-2007, 07:16 PM
He was 5th in the NFL in tackles

DJohnson56
04-02-2007, 09:37 PM
The guy still has it......why the f@ck did he ever put a charger uni on in the first place.

T-RICH49
04-03-2007, 01:16 AM
cause Carl listened to that moron GROB and cut him

Hermstheman83
04-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Where is that guy? Is he coaching Syracuse....ENOUGH SAID