PDA

View Full Version : 2008/2009 Redskins Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

DiG
08-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Nice start to the season last night. Here are some of my winners/losers/thoughts from the game against the Colts.

Winners

Great game last night with a lot of "winners" imo. Here are the most noteworthy.

Jason Campbell - His footwork and accuracy was on point. He looked very comfortable in the pocket and had a few very nice crisp passes and nice touch on the touchdown pass to Randle El. Finished the night 5-5 for 61 yards 1 td and 0 ints. I don't expect him to play more than the first quarter in any of the preseason games so I'm hoping that he continues to take advantage of the time he has and make some good reads.

Colt Brennan - Can't say enough how impressed I was with Colt last night. His throwing motion...it scares me. I can live with that though if he makes passes like that continuously. Time will tell throughout the next handful of preseason games but last night his accuracy and reads were extremely impressive. He thread the needle several times downfield and he did a great job moving in the pocket with his feet to buy time to make the play. Finished the game 9-10 for 123 yards 2 tds 0 ints.

Chris Horton - Horton was a 7th round draft pick this year out of UCLA. Throughout training camp he is a guy that was getting a lot of talk from coaches as being impressive and he showed it last night. He started the game right away on a positive note recovering an onside kick but more importantly was his presence on defense once he got in. He finished with 5 tackles and 2 sacks but also looked good in coverage.

Durant Brooks - Kid has a leg and knows how to place his punts. He had 4 punts last night for an average of 46 yards and two inside the 20. One of landed at the 5 and the other on the 10. The one that landed on the 5 was a solid 56 yarder.

Offensive Line - Man its nice to see these guys healthy again. Between Mason and Rock last night we averaged 5 yards per carry on the ground. Jansen gave up a sack early on to Brock but otherwise the starting squad gave Campbell adequate time to deliver and opened up some nice holes including a 17 yard gain by Rock on the first drive.

Other notables were Marcus Mason with 98 yards rushing, Rookie Rob Jackson with a sack, and Fred Davis showed reliable hands on a couple snags.

Losers

Todd Collins - His stats show that he completed 5-6 but I really thought he looked uncomfortable in the pocket. His passes were all dumpoffs to rb/te and he looked afraid to throw downfield. I appreciate what he did for us at the end of last season but I just don't see him succeeding at all in this offense.

Linebackers - Statistically guys like Sinclair and Campbell got a lot of tackles but they were unfortunately not near the line of scrimmage. Most of them were chasing down running backs after 7 or 8 yard gains. Noted that McIntosh, Fletcher, and HB Blades all sat out with minor injuries and Marcus Washington played minimally, I am still worried about our depth at the position. I like Blades a lot inside but I feel like we have zero quality backups on the outside.

That about sums it up overall. I think Zorns doing a commendable job so far and seems to have the players excited for the season.

flave1969
08-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I would like to single Chad Rinehart out he was fantastic last night. he hardly took a backward step last night.

DiG
08-04-2008, 12:11 PM
yea thats true. I kept an eye on him a few times and he did solid. I'd like to see him get some reps with the first team at some point. Heyer and Fabini are garbage so its nice to finally have a young stud for the line in the making.

703SKINS202
08-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I loved how Campbell looked. We all know he can make the throws but what I really liked was his presence and footwork in the pocket. You could really tell that Zorn has been working with him and I hope this is the year where he can stay healthy and establish himself as an above average starter in the NFL. Colt also looked really good and who knows maybe in a couple of years if things don't work out he can be our stating quarterback.

Number 10
08-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Hey guys I had to fill out a report on the Skins and I thought I'd throw a few of my bullet points out at you-

-Two rookies I was VERY impressed with were in the trenches. Guard Chad Rinehart was, outside of Samuels, your best lineman from what I saw. Granted he was up against second and third tier defenders but I liked what I saw. He got to the second level much quicker than he was in college and you can see that he has already taken in NFL coaching. Not sure he'll be starting for you guys from the start but considering how good he looks and his versatility, Rinehart will be a big part of your team this season.

-The other lineman I was really impressed by caught me off guard a bit. Defensive end from Kansas State showed something I have noticed some of the current great defensive ends int he league all have, and that is strong hands. He was consistently pushing away blockers like rag dolls and getting the inside position. With the injury issues you guys have there, could be a Phillip Daniels type replacement because he'll excel against the run. I'm not sure what his chances are of making the team but based on what I saw last night, he should be in the rotation.

-TE Fred Davis was not high on my list in April but he impressed me last night. I still question his versatility but I'll tell you this, and my scouting mentor agreed with me on the assessment, Davis moves A LOT like Antonio Gates. Does he have the hands? Route running and leaping ability? Probably not but the upside his huge and if he taps into it, the arsenal Campbell has at his disposal will be in the same league as the Cowboys and Giants.

-Speaking of Campbell, he looked sharp early on. Always hard to gauge QBs based on a series or two of football but he did everything a good QB was supposed to do. His release has always been the thing I disliked about his game and it shows in his stats and I have to say it still looks a bit slow, however it has improved. Physically it does not take a scout to notice how gifted he is but only time will tell how decisive he is when the pressure is on.

-I think the biggest concern with your gonna have to deal with is the back seven. So many questions back there because Marcus Washington really looked like a different player last season from what I am used to watching and there is little behind him. McIntosh and Fletcher are both fantastic although where is the depth behind them? I am always under the school of thought that you NEED 5 high quality LBs because it's a spot where injuries seem to be inevitable. Can you trust Blades? I don't think so, still looks a little slow laterally to me. Same with Sinclair. Springs and Smoot are the wildcards with your pass defense. Smoot looked great to me, showing that he still has that instinct and reading ability that a lot of CBs do not have.

-Anyway, I have some more stuff here if you guys want to discuss, just thought I'd let you know that there are some VERY impressive part of the Skins that I overlooked up until now. This rookie class could, and likely will, make or break your 2008 season.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-04-2008, 06:26 PM
yea thats true. I kept an eye on him a few times and he did solid. I'd like to see him get some reps with the first team at some point. Heyer and Fabini are garbage so its nice to finally have a young stud for the line in the making.

Heyer Garbage? No way. For an undrafted rookie he has a chance to be a starter on this line for a long time. He can effectively play both tackle and guard spots, last year as a rookie he was flat out dominant at times. Fabini is garbage but I am a huge Heyer supporter, but yeah Chad looked good.

Hey guys I had to fill out a report on the Skins and I thought I'd throw a few of my bullet points out at you-

-Two rookies I was VERY impressed with were in the trenches. Guard Chad Rinehart was, outside of Samuels, your best lineman from what I saw. Granted he was up against second and third tier defenders but I liked what I saw. He got to the second level much quicker than he was in college and you can see that he has already taken in NFL coaching. Not sure he'll be starting for you guys from the start but considering how good he looks and his versatility, Rinehart will be a big part of your team this season.

-The other lineman I was really impressed by caught me off guard a bit. Defensive end from Kansas State showed something I have noticed some of the current great defensive ends int he league all have, and that is strong hands. He was consistently pushing away blockers like rag dolls and getting the inside position. With the injury issues you guys have there, could be a Phillip Daniels type replacement because he'll excel against the run. I'm not sure what his chances are of making the team but based on what I saw last night, he should be in the rotation.

-TE Fred Davis was not high on my list in April but he impressed me last night. I still question his versatility but I'll tell you this, and my scouting mentor agreed with me on the assessment, Davis moves A LOT like Antonio Gates. Does he have the hands? Route running and leaping ability? Probably not but the upside his huge and if he taps into it, the arsenal Campbell has at his disposal will be in the same league as the Cowboys and Giants.

-Speaking of Campbell, he looked sharp early on. Always hard to gauge QBs based on a series or two of football but he did everything a good QB was supposed to do. His release has always been the thing I disliked about his game and it shows in his stats and I have to say it still looks a bit slow, however it has improved. Physically it does not take a scout to notice how gifted he is but only time will tell how decisive he is when the pressure is on.

-I think the biggest concern with your gonna have to deal with is the back seven. So many questions back there because Marcus Washington really looked like a different player last season from what I am used to watching and there is little behind him. McIntosh and Fletcher are both fantastic although where is the depth behind them? I am always under the school of thought that you NEED 5 high quality LBs because it's a spot where injuries seem to be inevitable. Can you trust Blades? I don't think so, still looks a little slow laterally to me. Same with Sinclair. Springs and Smoot are the wildcards with your pass defense. Smoot looked great to me, showing that he still has that instinct and reading ability that a lot of CBs do not have.

-Anyway, I have some more stuff here if you guys want to discuss, just thought I'd let you know that there are some VERY impressive part of the Skins that I overlooked up until now. This rookie class could, and likely will, make or break your 2008 season.

Yeah LB is a trouble spot. Marcus Washington gets pushed around too much and doesn't pursue plays like he used to. HB Blades is really good and will be the replacement inside when London retires but outside he is just average because like you mentioned his lack of speed on the edges. He did impress me though playing outside last year because his speed isn't as bad as I thought he looked in college, he is always around tackles. At CB I think Smoot is locked in, he is much closer to the old Smoot than the Minnesota Smoot. Springs can still be a good corner but health and age are questions. Carlos Rogers could return by the first game.

neko4
08-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Can anyone tell me if Kerry Brown played and if so, how well?

I really liked him coming out of App St

Canadian_draft_fan
08-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Can anyone tell me if Kerry Brown played and if so, how well?

I really liked him coming out of App St

Kerry Brown was released about a week ago after suffering a shoulder strain. I think his release is a direct result of the reduction to training camp rosters to 80. Had to release him just to get enough healthy bodies to practice. I really wanted him to stick - aybe he can go on the PS.
edit: Brown is listed on the IR on redskins.com so I guess they still want to look at him next year.

DiG
08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
the DE you speak of is Rob Jackson. Jason Taylor has actually been praising him lately in Training Camp as a guy to look out for down the road.

Number 10
08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
the DE you speak of is Rob Jackson. Jason Taylor has actually been praising him lately in Training Camp as a guy to look out for down the road.

Forgot to put his name in there, it slipped my mind at the time and I forgot to go look it up. Doesn't surprise me Taylor likes him, kid looks like a player.

Scotty D
08-05-2008, 05:26 AM
Yeah Rob Jackson really stood out to me while watching the game. His looked pretty damn big. I'm going to look up his measurables. But yeah he looks promising.

neko4
08-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Rob Jackson K-State 6'3 258 4.78
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/robjackson.html

Probably ran a faster 40 than expected, but only had about 6 sacks in 2 years and was a juco transfer.

treyskins
08-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Colt Brennan was the undoubted star of the win against the colts.

Looking forward to seeing more of him, Davis/Rinehart/Mason/Fincher and Horton in pre-season.
Shame we wont see much of kelly and thomas-if one of the 3 m's mix/mcmullen/mann can step up then stash one of the second rounders on I.R.

I'm happy with all 3 of the Q.B.'s we have, jason Campbell is going to be the star but i feel if todd Collins has to step in at anytime, the chemistry he has with the first teamers(portis/moss/cooley/randel-el)should help the team.
He doesn't look good now and may not be a good fit for a west coast offense but come the regular season Redskin fans might be glad he is with us the next couple of years(until Brennan is ready!).

skinzzfan25
08-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Zorn called a great game.

I agree with most of the points stated already.

Rob Jackson did look good but at times he got too overzealous and left the edge wide open. Hopefully he can make the team as the 5th DE, because he truly reminds me of a very raw but much quicker Phillip Daniels.

Also, Marcus Mason looks like a baller and we need to keep him on the team. I'd be down for trading Betts if we could get a 3rd or 4th for him.

Theres no way we can keep 4 RBs 6 WRs and 3 TEs on offense, some people have to go.

DiG
08-06-2008, 11:07 PM

Rob Jackson did look good but at times he got too overzealous and left the edge wide open. Hopefully he can make the team as the 5th DE, because he truly reminds me of a very raw but much quicker Phillip Daniels.

Also, Marcus Mason looks like a baller and we need to keep him on the team. I'd be down for trading Betts if we could get a 3rd or 4th for him.

Theres no way we can keep 4 RBs 6 WRs and 3 TEs on offense, some people have to go.

id love to see betts start and play well against the bills then us try to trade him away for depth at lber, cb, or a mid round pick 4th maybe.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-07-2008, 10:19 AM
id love to see betts start and play well against the bills then us try to trade him away for depth at lber, cb, or a mid round pick 4th maybe.

Me too, I love Mason and Rock.

D-Unit
08-07-2008, 01:42 PM

Where did you get that sig? I saw someone with it on another site. Wonder if you're copying him, vice versa, or both of you are copying someone else... lol.

It's not against the rules here or anything... just curious.

DCPSR
08-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Be interesting to see a few things tonight.

1. How will Colt Brennan do against players who will actually make the Colts roster

2. Does kareem Moore step up like Chris Horton?

3. Who performs better, Kedric Golston or Anthony Montgomery

4. Does Derrick Frost blow it?

skinzzfan25
08-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Where did you get that sig? I saw someone with it on another site. Wonder if you're copying him, vice versa, or both of you are copying someone else... lol.

It's not against the rules here or anything... just curious.

D-Unit, I know your a closet Extremeskin user so it's okay.

He sent me the PDF so it's free rights IMO ;)

I haven't gotten around to making a new sig yet so I might as well jack it.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Todd Collins is so bad it's not even funny. I really think that Billy McMullen should make this team. He was our superstar in training camp making acrobatic catches the entire time and winning jump balls and has been good in the preseason. By numbers he doesn't stand a good chance with Moss, Randle El, Thrash, Thomas, and Kelly all guaranteed spots and also carrying 3 TE's in Cooley, Yoder, and Davis. But Basically I look at Thrash as being on the team for special teams because he should not be the 3rd WR, and honestly I think that the two rookie wideouts will take a while to make contributions and will be very inconsistent. I could easily see McMullen as our 3rd option as we bring along the rookies, and Mcmullen himself has very high upside.

703SKINS202
08-09-2008, 10:08 PM
We seem to have some nice depth going on now at o-line and d-line although they definitely need to be upgraded long term. That thing that concerns me is we went out and got a lot of depth at safety and found some nice talent in Moore, Horton and Richardson but have not done the same for CB. Springs is getting older and wants to play FS in the future it seems like which is a joke for this team. Smoot is a decent #2 but will get beat we know from time to time. The word is still out on Rogers but he hasn't lived up to what we thought so far. Justin Tryon I don't think was a good pick for where we got him he is really undersized and doesn't seem like a great tackler. Theres no way he will ever be anything more than a #3 CB. Leigh Torrence, meh. We need to really find some talent hopefully next year we can take a nice atheltic playmaking cb in round 1 if available.

skinzzfan25
08-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I really hope we make Brett Favre look silly next week.

Smoot for a pick 6 and a Jason Taylor/Andre Carter sandwich will do.

Geo
08-11-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/10/AR2008081002350.html
Coach Jim Zorn expects several other players to return for Saturday's game against the Jets, with safety LaRon Landry (hamstring) and wide receiver Devin Thomas (hamstring) among them.
I want to see Thomas play with Campbell.

D-Unit
08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
D-Unit, I know your a closet Extremeskin user so it's okay.

He sent me the PDF so it's free rights IMO ;)

I haven't gotten around to making a new sig yet so I might as well jack it.
No way am I on that site. Someone from Sportshawaii.com forum had it... eh, he must've stole it from there.

D-Unit
08-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Someone give me the play by play of colt's performance please.

DiG
08-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Someone give me the play by play of colt's performance please.

from the Bills game?

DiG
08-12-2008, 10:43 AM
"Devin Thomas looks very good, especially so soon after an injury. Made a bunch of catches, including one streaking down the sidelines that had the offensive players shouting, “Ain’t no one gonna catch him” over and over again."

some good news from Terls camp blog today.

CDub
08-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Can you guys tell me anything about DE Kevin Huntley? We just picked him up.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Billy McMullen needs to make this team.

HChu
08-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Billy McMullen needs to make this team.

Seriously, Billy has looked very impressive. He has used his size and this team's lack of size at the receiver position to impress me and I hope the coaching staff. And I'm pretty sure tonight's game cemented Durant Brooks as our starting punter, good bye Derrick Frost!

SeanTaylorRIP
08-17-2008, 08:48 AM
I know Anthony Mix is Jason's boy, has been with the team, and is a solid special teamer, but Billy is so much better, and wants it so much more. Honestly I could see Billy getting first team snaps in the regular season and having Randle El in the slot at times because Billy is so much better as a pass catcher than Thrash and honestly I don't see the two rookies making much impact, especially early on since they are so far behind.

treyskins
08-17-2008, 10:07 AM
If at any time during the season one of our starting W.R. is injured then who steps up?

Last year there was caldwell/mccardell and with little in the way of cap space to sign a vet then keeping McMullen makes sense as he cannot make the practice squad this time.

Devin Thomas better offer a little something against the panthers, i dont care how raw he is.
Fred Davis is starting to look like the guy who will help us most this season,who would of thought that?
Hopefully the Redskins will not look so flat next sat v. the panthers.

DiG
08-18-2008, 08:43 AM
d unit how you like that Colt Brennan 2 minute drill td drive?!?!

703SKINS202
08-18-2008, 10:45 AM
I didn't get to see the game I was out gettin hammered but I saw Jason had some bad lookin stats. What was the deal how did he play? Also anyone stand out?

skinzzfan25
08-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Jason stood in the pocket too long and wasn't decisive enough during the first drive.

That's all I saw in the game though.

D-Unit
08-18-2008, 08:07 PM
d unit how you like that Colt Brennan 2 minute drill td drive?!?!
Eh, nothing out of the norm for him. Colt has always had ice in his veins. He's a winner. He only lost like 3 or 4 games in his whole Hawaii career. Let me remind you... this is Hawaii football... not LSU, Ohio St. We've had winless seasons in our school history.

I'm happy with the way Zorn is not letting the media hype up Colt though. That's the last thing he needs. Just let him fly under the radar and keep developing. One hurdle at a time.

HChu
08-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Wow... just... wow.

skinzzfan25
08-23-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm glad I didn't watch this game.

Just hearing about it made me angry.

DiG
08-23-2008, 11:31 PM
yea i was on a flight to Singapore and thankfully missed the game. From what I read the Skins just didn't seem to take the game seriously like the panthers.

one thing is for sure, we need landry and the rest of our secondary healthy. landry is the anchor and after springs and smoot our cbs are struggling. that includes carlos although he is starting to come around off his injury.

i think its official that jon jansens time in the nfl is over. he's looked worse every game and word is that pace kept up tonight. heyer simply isn't an nfl starter (i think hes good depth but he is not a starter) and it seems the coaching staff prefers to groom rhinehart at guard to take over for kendall next year. aka we are f'd this year at rt.

djp
08-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Is Jason Taylor's knee injury serious?

DiG
08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
its not too bad. the most he misses is week 1 and he could probably be back for that.

HChu
08-30-2008, 12:48 PM
And we have a winner! Durant Brooks edges out Derrick Frost for punting duties this coming season. Although I am disappointed to see Mason go, but 4 RB's isn't a luxury we could've afforded this season.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/30/redskins-cut-wade-frost-mason/

SeanTaylorRIP
08-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Hate to see Mason go, I will be po'ed if we keep Anthony Mix over McMullen. I will be pissed if both make the team and we kept Mix over Mason. It is being discussed putting Malcolm Kelly on IR, and as of now Devin Thomas is not ready to get any sort of playing time even as a kick returner. Honestly McMullen could have a big role getting as much as 15 plays a game. Also I think that Stephon Heyer is going to beat Jansen for the starting RT spot.

HChu
08-30-2008, 03:07 PM
According to the Redskins Blog the following have been cut by the Redskins:

* QB Derek Devine
* RB Marcus Mason
* FB Nehemiah Broughton
* WR Maurice Mann
* WR Horace Gant
* WR Billy McMullen
* WR Anthony Mix
* DT Matthias Askew
* DT Ryan Boschetti
* T Devin Clark
* T Todd Wade
* T Tavares Washington
* G Andrew Crummey
* G Fred Matua
* LB Curtis Gatewood
* LB David Holloway
* LB Danny Verdun-Wheeler
* S Patrick Ghee
* CB Cedrick Holt
* CB Matterral Richardson
* CB Byron Westbrook
* P Derrick Frost

Which means the winner of our 6th receiver spot is, nobody.

http://theredskinsblog.com/2008/08/30/saturday-august-30-cut-day/

SeanTaylorRIP
08-30-2008, 06:33 PM
WTF? So we are entering the season with 4 wide receivers and Devin Thomas has been hurt and shows no signs of making any contribution this year, Santana and Randle El both are always knicked and I hardly consider Thrash a real receiving threat. The way I see it, we only really have 2 wideouts on this roster. Terrible move in letting go of McMullen. I love that we kept Fincher but we did not need both Justin Hamilton and Kareem Moore. Chose one. We have too many safety's who don't have versatility to play in coverage. All of our safety are in box type guys. Also I am against Justin Tryon despite his draft spot. He is terrible. Undersized and slow is constantly beat physically. Also we had to have let go of either Rob Jackson or Chris Wilson or IMO Erasmus James to get our pick back. Some very questionable moves, but w/e.

D-Unit
09-02-2008, 02:25 PM
WTF? So we are entering the season with 4 wide receivers and Devin Thomas has been hurt and shows no signs of making any contribution this year, Santana and Randle El both are always knicked and I hardly consider Thrash a real receiving threat. The way I see it, we only really have 2 wideouts on this roster. Terrible move in letting go of McMullen. I love that we kept Fincher but we did not need both Justin Hamilton and Kareem Moore. Chose one. We have too many safety's who don't have versatility to play in coverage. All of our safety are in box type guys. Also I am against Justin Tryon despite his draft spot. He is terrible. Undersized and slow is constantly beat physically. Also we had to have let go of either Rob Jackson or Chris Wilson or IMO Erasmus James to get our pick back. Some very questionable moves, but w/e.
I was really hoping the Cowboys were gonna draft Devin Thomas, but I must say, he's looking like the next coming of Troy Williamson/Chad Jackson. 2 other WRs that I desperately wanted on draft day. While it wouldn't be a bad thing for him to fail (as long as he's on the Redskins), I hope he makes use of his talent.

treyskins
09-03-2008, 07:37 AM
I think the coaches realized the lines need alot of bodies(due to having too many vets) so no mason or mcmullen kept.
Not only are the rookie w.r.'s not going to be much help yet but fred davis wont see much playing time either.
Why?
Well our new right tackle is going to need todd Yoder glued to him if they want jason campbell to see out the season.

Hindsight doesn't count for much but do you know who the falcons traded up for when they gave us their 2 second rounders?
Left Tackle Sam Baker,alot of falcon fans seem pleased to have him(short arms or not).
Taking Baker and using our second rounder on one of the raw junior wideouts might have helped us more this season.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-03-2008, 10:04 AM
I think people severely underrate Stephon Heyer because of his draft placement, or lack there of. He is solid all around and at this point a much better option than Jon Jansen. I think he will be with this franchise the next 10 years and the fans will come to love him. He could eventually replace Samuels on the left side of the line, but on the right I think he could become above average.

HChu
09-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Chris Horton is a golden god, and Durant Brooks looked like trash today. That is all.

Geo
09-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Do you feel Zorny yet??? :p

HChu
09-14-2008, 03:51 PM
I am beginning to again grow Horny for Zorny.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Horton is a man beast. He better keep that job, he and Landry are nasty. Landry has nasty recover speed and change of direction. His stats may dip playing the one man deep, but he is the most important player having to cover the entire field. Let Horton roam around and play in the box because he's a monster. Reed is solid but he is neither good in coverage or good in the box. Just solid, but a typical backup player who is an overachiever. Also Jason was legit today.

703SKINS202
09-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Just an overall sick ******* game. I was so happy with our offense and the defense actually played pretty well despite the score. Horton needs to start pleaseeeee. Zorn.

skinzzfan25
09-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Horton needs to thank Smoot, RockyMac and Evans for tipping/stripping the ball.

Great heads up plays though. It was refreshing to see a DB finally catch a 'freebee.'

And it was great to see Zorn give Campbell some room to make his own decisions. The play of the game is when Campbell realized what he had on the corner with Santana on Porter. He audibled, avoided the blitz and launched it :P.

However, our special teams made me want to THROW UP. Aside from Suisham's kickoffs, everything was terrible. Especially Brooks, I wouldn't be upset if we cut him tomorrow.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Well at least seeing Frost suck it up and let a punt go through his hands for a safety today makes me feel better. They both suck, so might as well keep the younger guy. My biggest issue with special teams is that Randle El is the worst PR in the NFL. Consistently dances backwards and does nothing his fumble just made things worst. He was so much better in Pittsburgh, but here is is absolute trash. I'd rather see James Thrash take them. I'd take 10 yards a return of straight running than Randle El's -5 yard runs.

HChu
09-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah, Durant Brooks being cut tomorrow wouldn't surprise me in the least. Ryan Plackemeier for the win!

skinzzfan25
09-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, Durant Brooks being cut tomorrow wouldn't surprise me in the least. Ryan Plackemeier for the win!

I wouldn't have a problem with that sadly. I'm usually not this brash on players and judgments, but really... he practically gave them the game.

And yeah ST I agree. Or heck, put Thomas back there he did it in college.

703SKINS202
09-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Thank God I'm not the only who thinks ARE is the biggest pos punt returner. Although it might be impossible not to think that if u have eyes. I would like to see Thomas to take a couple as well.

HChu
09-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Rock Cartwright should just do everything, Rock Cartwright is love.

Canadian_draft_fan
09-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Well at least seeing Frost suck it up and let a punt go through his hands for a safety today makes me feel better. They both suck, so might as well keep the younger guy. My biggest issue with special teams is that Randle El is the worst PR in the NFL. Consistently dances backwards and does nothing his fumble just made things worst. He was so much better in Pittsburgh, but here is is absolute trash. I'd rather see James Thrash take them. I'd take 10 yards a return of straight running than Randle El's -5 yard runs.

I have to agree - Randle El is simply terrible on PR. Rather get a slow guy who can run straight ahead and get 10 yards than watch ARE lose 5 yards. I'll give Brooks the rest of the season but if he continues to play poorly time look far a new punter.

HChu
09-14-2008, 08:35 PM
What other punters are even out there that are good.

toddmlazarchick
09-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Damn guys Brooks has one bad game and you wanna cut him? What about Frost sucking for the past 3 years??

SeanTaylorRIP
09-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Damn guys Brooks has one bad game and you wanna cut him? What about Frost sucking for the past 3 years??

Well that's the life of a punter/kicker, there is always an unemployed punter out of a job that can do the job as good if not better. Punter is not a position you can afford to "wait for".

HChu
09-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Punters get no slack, they are out there to do one job. And it's not like that there aren't 10 other punter's agents calling the Redskins front office right now. I mean I hope Durant Brooks does well, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got cut with another game like that, or at this point any average/sub-par game.

Strongside
09-15-2008, 09:56 PM
So err.. Anyone visit Chris Cooley's blog yesterday?

Well I'm not sure how to say this but... Chris Cooley posted a picture of his dick on his blog.

703SKINS202
09-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Yea I saw that, pretty funny stuff.

skinzzfan25
09-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Nice win by the Skins today!

Thomas looks legit, but that Heyer penalty still has me pissed...

Now on the road vs the Boys and the Eagles. I'd be happy if we came away with a win for at least one.

703SKINS202
09-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Nice win by the Skins today!

Thomas looks legit, but that Heyer penalty still has me pissed...

Now on the road vs the Boys and the Eagles. I'd be happy if we came away with a win for at least one.

I was sooooo mad at Heyer taking away Devin Thomas' first td like that. Defense played well today and Rogers made some key plays for us today. He might be on the rise. And I agree with you Devin Thomas looks legit, I wish we would put him at pr cause ARE is trash yet again.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I think the Heyer call is a bs rule. It should only be 15 on the extra point because it had nothing to do with the TD, also IMO it wasn't that dirty. It was a straight up hit. IMO if the QB is still holding the ball anyone is fair game. Just because the D-lineman quit on a play doesn't mean the offense does too. Anyways Dockett deserved it, he was being a ***** with his late hits and twisting Portis's neck. I will say Heyer has far exceeded expectations, at this point a much better option than Jansen, although unlike previous years when we would have no oline depth, it is nice to take Jansen off the bench when an injury occurs. Oh yeah Rocky McIntosh was a beast today, looks like Rocky of last year before the injury, also Doughty pissed me off today getting burned deep by Fitz. I understand he knows the defense better, but point blank when he's in he does nothing positive, when Horton's in he's always making a play. Lets not look past Landry either, doesn't have huge stats, but is covering the entire field deep like non other. I mean he was just as close to Larry on the deep ball than Doughty even though it was Doughty's man and Landry ran over from 10 yards behind Doughty.

critesy
09-21-2008, 07:26 PM
wow you covered up everything from the game haha, man.. i love campbell finally coming into his own, playing so efficient, its beautiful.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-21-2008, 07:46 PM
My prediction is that Durant Brooks is released this week. 1 good punt rest was crap, and he really pissed off Zorn with that delayed snap on the field go. He's a goner.

toddmlazarchick
09-21-2008, 11:15 PM
My prediction is that Durant Brooks is released this week. 1 good punt rest was crap, and he really pissed off Zorn with that delayed snap on the field go. He's a goner.

I really dont get the Brooks hate? Frost was horrible for THREE YEARS and we stuck with him.

critesy
09-22-2008, 01:11 AM
ya man but that was with gibbs and gibbs was just so slack, with that said though, im not sure what will happen, i think we'll keep him for couple more weeks like 4 or 5 ish.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Oh yeah BTW I think Santana is going to have a huge year. Don't understand why so many were down on him and wanted to release him, he's my favorite Skin. He is a true talent, ARE is the guy I wouldn't mind letting go of in the future. He gets too much money for being a terrible PR and should only be a slot receiver. Hopefully Devin Thomas takes some more snaps. He is our future as the #2 wideout.

703SKINS202
09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Jason Taylor underwent a medical procedure on his calf this morning and will miss the Dallas game via redskins.com. Pretty big blow but I still have faith in this defense.

Canadian_draft_fan
09-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Oh yeah BTW I think Santana is going to have a huge year. Don't understand why so many were down on him and wanted to release him, he's my favorite Skin. He is a true talent, ARE is the guy I wouldn't mind letting go of in the future. He gets too much money for being a terrible PR and should only be a slot receiver. Hopefully Devin Thomas takes some more snaps. He is our future as the #2 wideout.

I agree with you on Moss' talent but he had very mediocre seasons in '06 and '07. When Moss is focused he is one of the best in the game. My stance on him was that he needed to have a good year in '08 to stay with the Skins. He's playing well now and I hope it keeps up because we need his deep speed if only to keep defenses honest. ARE does need to pick it up but I think you're right - he is best in the slot. Thomas should be starting opposite Moss by mid-season.

skinzzfan25
09-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Jason Taylor underwent a medical procedure on his calf this morning and will miss the Dallas game via redskins.com. Pretty big blow but I still have faith in this defense.

Damn...

Sucks, it broke his streak of consecutive games. :(

SeanTaylorRIP
09-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Damn...

Sucks, it broke his streak of consecutive games. :(

Yeah while people say it's just a streak, it's one of those things that later down the line, maybe if he's nicked a little he might sit a game out as he doesn't have that incentive to keep his streak alive. Sucks that it's Dallas week too, but I like Chris Wilson on passrushing downs and Demetric as a solid run stopper. Marcus Washington could also put his hand down on passing downs like last year as HB Blades is more than solid to step in at OLB.

critesy
09-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Sht, I was so frustrated with santana last year it was bad, with his drops and fumbles and what not, but now he is back and determined. I also love how focused the team is to win now and were not always coming from behind. Loving how JC is playing, true love, yay.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Fumbles? He had one fumble last year.

703SKINS202
09-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Woooooooo *****. Zorn is the truth Santana is back and Dallas can suck a fat one.

HChu
09-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Big win today! We just outplayed them all game, and we looked solid all around. I'm surprised James Thrash is still relevant, but it's always amazing when we can stick it to the Boys.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Skins are amazing. Jason Campbell once again is so legit, is starting to look like D-Mcnabb back there. Chris Horton http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

critesy
09-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Fumbles? He had one fumble last year.

hah well that one against GB really frustrated me, but sol good now.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-28-2008, 07:21 PM
I can't wait till next year when Devin and Malcolm might actually make an impact. I also am excited for Fred Davis in the future. Rocky and Horton though excite me a whole lot.

Canadian_draft_fan
09-28-2008, 08:04 PM
hard to believe our last draft pick is having the biggest impact so far. Horton is a late round gem no doubt.

703SKINS202
09-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Another thing I saw today was Rogers steppin up making some key plays. He might not turn out to a bust after all.

treyskins
09-29-2008, 06:56 AM
It doesn't get any better than beating the boys in their own house.
Total Domination.

Regarding Horton,
my copy of the sporting news college football had Horton rated the 2nd best strong safety that year.
Had a wrist injury in his senior year? so falls all the way to the 7th round.
Ex skins secondary coach dewayne Walker is at u.c.l.a. so maybe Horton being a decent player for us should not be a surprise.

p.s.-Rogers and Rocky have been playing amazing football after returning from serious knee injuries.

DiG
09-29-2008, 09:01 AM
I can't wait till next year when Devin and Malcolm might actually make an impact. I also am excited for Fred Davis in the future. Rocky and Horton though excite me a whole lot.

I actually think youll start to see Devin make an impact in the next few weeks. I am expecting it against the Rams or Lions and hopefully continuously after that.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-29-2008, 05:06 PM
I still don't expect anything consistent. Maybe a week here and there but I think for this year we will just go for the "safe guys" and continue to play Thrash as 3 with Devin coming in 5-10 plays a game only.

skinzzfan25
09-29-2008, 11:21 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/2drvvkj.jpg

I thought this was worth sharing :)

703SKINS202
09-29-2008, 11:42 PM
"that was a *** pick"

DiG
09-30-2008, 07:33 AM
haha i saw that pic on extremeskins. apparently cooley and colt are becoming good friends. doesnt surprise me. they both party and both have hot chicks at their side.

DiG
10-02-2008, 01:52 PM
the new eastern motors commercials are friggin hilarious. this one had me rolling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNnqRAN_zIM

703SKINS202
10-02-2008, 01:55 PM
That was hilarious, can you post some other new ones?

703SKINS202
10-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Is Zorn God or is Zorn God?

DiG
10-05-2008, 07:35 PM
HAIL VICOTORYYYYYYYYYYYY

Ill be back for my recap soon.

Canadian_draft_fan
10-05-2008, 07:42 PM
This win was huge. 4-1, 2-1 in the division and all our remaining division games are at home. Barring injury this team will be in contention for the NFC East crown and best record in the NFC. Total team effort today. Didn't even need production from Moss.
Zorn IS God!!

critesy
10-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Another thing I saw today was Rogers steppin up making some key plays. He might not turn out to a bust after all.

oh man i love carlos.. and i mean being an auburn fan i knew he was going to step up big time, i never thought he was going to bust.. im just loving our play week in and week out. :)

SeanTaylorRIP
10-06-2008, 09:52 AM
I just want to make it clear, HB Blades>Marcus Washington. It's a shame though that Marcus is the starter when he comes back healthy. I know and we all expected Blades to be superior to Washington against the run, which is true, but it shocks me how much better Blades is than Washington in coverage considering his size and speed. Washington I hate to say is just washed up. Shouldn't be starting at LB. He would be much more effective as a 3rd down rush DE like last year, and spot up time as a backup LB in different sets. I think at this point he is far overrated. I am so excited though about our secondary. Landry and Horton are nasty and now as a backup I can finally appreciate what Reed Doughty brings off the bench. A great smart player to be coming off your bench. Kareem Moore also looks promising. All 3 corners (Rogers, Smoot, Springs) are playing as good as they have in several years, while Leigh Torence is underrated the way he is playing having to fill in with injuries. Haven't seen Justin Tryon yet, but I hated him in preseason. Justin Hamilton hasn't been activated yet, but he is a huge hitter.

skinzzfan25
10-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Hopefully we won't have to see Tryon in a game for at least another preseason. Honestly teams just threw his way all game long.

But yeah, I agree on Washington and Blades. I believe MW's contract is up after this season so he probably won't be around much longer (or at a reduced salary).

Oh yeah, and Jansen played very well. I wonder who's gonna get the start this week.

703SKINS202
10-06-2008, 05:38 PM
So can anyone explain to me the pick that was Fred Davis. That pick could have gone to such better use.

HChu
10-06-2008, 05:42 PM
So can anyone explain to me the pick that was Fred Davis. That pick could have gone to such better use.

Like on DeSean Jackson or Calais Campbell.

skinzzfan25
10-06-2008, 05:51 PM

Whatever, I mean at least he's practicing and ready to go when needed.

Kelly on the other hand hasn't done **** and apparently per Zorn's presser today his knee is swollen again. Did he even get in the game on Sunday? Or did he just run into the bench or something.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I saw him on one play, Campbell actually threw to him but it was incomplete because he slowed down. I actually love Fred Davis, he has above average NFL tight end written all over him. Great hands, athletic, and an improving blocker. Right now because Yoder is so excellent at blocking and has some receiving skills to go along, he is getting to play in the two TE sets because he is experienced. Down the line Davis/Cooley is going to be a lethal receiving combo, with Davis being able to take over if Cooley ever leaves. Give Davis some time. Other than that screw up sleeping in his first mini camp practice, he has been working his tail out in practice and is actually making plays on kickoffs and punts. Devin Thomas started off slow but I see real potential in him to be a starting wideout for this team in the future. Reminds me of a taller Derrick Mason. He just needs to learn the nuances of the game and refine his route running. Malcolm Kelly is a pick I didn't like when we took him, and still don't like. The guy has bust written all over him. It's sad because when they first announced wide receiver I was psyched because I thought it was going to be Limas Sweed a guy I pegged as a late first rounder, but instead we took Kelly. A guy with a awful history of injuries and doesn't have great separation. Better picks would have been a speed rusher like Quentin Groves, or even better a base DE like Kendall Langford. The LB Tavares Gooden would also have been a dynamite pick or since we got two big pass catching options in Thomas and Davis, we could have taken a guy like Dexter Jackson who could replace El down the line possibly, but more importantly give us a good punt returner. I will continue to say that El is the worst punt returner in the NFL. If Moss wasn't so damn important to us, we would have him back there.

skinzzfan25
10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8lMRgUO-_c

Watch.

Now.

El is one funny SOB.

DiG
10-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I will continue to say that El is the worst punt returner in the NFL. If Moss wasn't so damn important to us, we would have him back there.

didnt devin return punts at mich state?

703SKINS202
10-07-2008, 11:24 AM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/10/skins_hip_hip_hooray_again.html

Gay Ork Wang
10-07-2008, 02:07 PM
im kinda confused. Why did Campbell kneel the ball to end the first quarter on 3rd down?

703SKINS202
10-07-2008, 02:33 PM
im kinda confused. Why did Campbell kneel the ball to end the first quarter on 3rd down?

There was some miscommunication Campbell wasn't ready for the snap and he thought Rabach snapped it to him prematurely cause a dlineman jumped off so they could get a free play but Campbell was obviously confused and just kneeled it.

Gay Ork Wang
10-07-2008, 03:17 PM
There was some miscommunication Campbell wasn't ready for the snap and he thought Rabach snapped it to him prematurely cause a dlineman jumped off so they could get a free play but Campbell was obviously confused and just kneeled it.
i see, i only saw the game center thing and was really confused

skinzzfan25
10-07-2008, 04:07 PM
i see, i only saw the game center thing and was really confused

It was a good call by Campbell.

If he did something stupid it would have knocked us out of field goal range.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-07-2008, 04:09 PM
It was a good call by Campbell.

If he did something stupid it would have knocked us out of field goal range.

Nothing is out of Suisham's range, lol. Suisham though looked the best he has ever looked. I am starting to believe in him as a legit starter in this league. Durant Brooks though is another topic for another day.

HChu
10-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Awful game, too many turnovers and not enough taken away by us. We had many opportunities for interceptions. The offensive line looked terrible today. More insightful post later.

703SKINS202
10-12-2008, 04:15 PM
heres my insight: **** and brooks is gone

HChu
10-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Well a plus side for me will be hearing the Junkies all this week because now Cakes has to drive Lurch to work every morning this week. And it should lead to entertaining radio.

DiG
10-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Awful game, too many turnovers and not enough taken away by us. We had many opportunities for interceptions. The offensive line looked terrible today. More insightful post later.

yea two fumbles in the redzone, one of which was returned for a touchdown was the difference. thats anywhere from a 13 to 21 point swing.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-13-2008, 06:20 PM
We better beat the Browns or I don't think we make the playoffs. While all 3 remaining divisional games are at home, we will still probably be under dog in all 3. I think we need to be 6-2 or at worst 5-3 through the first 8 to make the playoffs. We still have those 3 division games a team like the Steelers, and regardless of how bad they are this season, the Seahawks have our number.

HChu
10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
I don't like the thought of Shaun Alexander becoming a 'Skin. Per the latest JLC post on Redskins Insider and Adam Schefter.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/13/alexander-will-visit-redskins/

skinzzfan25
10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't like the thought of Shaun Alexander becoming a 'Skin. Per the latest JLC post on Redskins Insider and Adam Schefter.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/13/alexander-will-visit-redskins/

I'll take it.

Betts is hurt and I don't trust Rock (although I'd like to see Mason given a shot).

He knows Zorn and the system. It's just a backup RB spot, Portis should still be beasting, nothing to get too worked up over.

I'm much more concerned with Brooks and our punting situation. Seriously, I can make every kick he made last game. They should sign me, I'll do it for free :D

HChu
10-13-2008, 09:22 PM
I would love to sign Marcus Mason off the Ravens practice squad, and I like the idea of Ryan Plackemeier for punter! The other name I hear is Josh Miller.

skinzzfan25
10-13-2008, 10:04 PM
I would love to sign Marcus Mason off the Ravens practice squad, and I like the idea of Ryan Plackemeier for punter! The other name I hear is Josh Miller.

Anybody other than Brooks makes me happy.

I think they'll stash him on the IR this week with his 'injury.' Let him be the incumbent next year in camp.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-14-2008, 03:42 PM
We signed Ryan Plackemeier. Has to be better than Durant Brooks, I can't imagine anyone being worse. Also Reed Doughty was put on IR and we cut Justin Hamilton. I also hear that Horton has an ankle injury of some sort. That better not be serious. As much as I hated Doughty as a starter, I liked him as a solid and steady backup.

HChu
10-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Seriously at this point I'll take any punter. But I really loved Plack a few years back and I thought we might have drafted him, but then again I also loved Durant...

703SKINS202
10-14-2008, 03:51 PM
It really cant get much worse than Durant/Randle El

SeanTaylorRIP
10-14-2008, 04:01 PM
It really cant get much worse than Durant/Randle El

Ugh don't remind me of Randle El. The fact that he is still returning punts in this league is insulting. I know he is more of a kick returner but Jerome Mathis is still out there, I'm sure he'd be a better returner than El. Hell James Thrash is a better returner than El despite being so slow. At this point a 7 or 8 yard return by Randle El is enough for me to get on my feet and cheer.

DiG
10-14-2008, 04:15 PM
im pumped for plack. i love me some acc! and yes i was high on durant too...but he has been awful and its absolutely time for a new face.

DiG
10-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Ugh don't remind me of Randle El. The fact that he is still returning punts in this league is insulting. I know he is more of a kick returner but Jerome Mathis is still out there, I'm sure he'd be a better returner than El. Hell James Thrash is a better returner than El despite being so slow. At this point a 7 or 8 yard return by Randle El is enough for me to get on my feet and cheer.

devin thomas should be returning kicks and punts.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Kind of random thought but imagine if we had really taken Jamaal Anderson or Amobi Okoye over Landry. Pretty scary thought. I was actually pretty sure we were going to get Okoye. Good thing they realized that our DT position is pretty much set for the future with Monty and Kedric. I think Monty and Kedric will be an incredible duo when Corny is gone. They complement each other so well.

703SKINS202
10-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Just was having a discussion with my friend. Assuming we have a 1st rounder come draft day, what is the most glaring posistion? We both agree either Alex Mack if available at the right spot or a premier cover corner or T. Also does anyone know what picks we have this year? Was Taylor's 2nd for the 09 draft? Cause if so we need to recoup that somehow.

Canadian_draft_fan
10-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Just was having a discussion with my friend. Assuming we have a 1st rounder come draft day, what is the most glaring posistion? We both agree either Alex Mack if available at the right spot or a premier cover corner or T. Also does anyone know what picks we have this year? Was Taylor's 2nd for the 09 draft? Cause if so we need to recoup that somehow.
The trade for Taylor was an 2nd in '09 and a 6th in 2010.
We also traded our 4th (2009) for Pete kendall and our 7th (2009) for Erasmus James.

I recommend trading out of the 1st (to the 2nd) and possibly picking up an extra 3rd rounder. I see our needs as (in no particular order):
OLB, CB, DT, Oline depth, KR/PR.

DiG
10-15-2008, 02:29 PM
JWe both agree either Alex Mack if available at the right spot or a premier cover corner or T.

I'm all for drafting Alex Mack and if we can move down a few spots and still grab him then I'm ok with that. It will depend on where we end up come draft day. Personally, I think Alex Mack is a better prospect then the guys that are currently being thrown around as late first or early second grades. LBer is another position that we should be looking at. If a guy like Laurinaitis or Curry were available then I'd have a hard time passing on them. Otherwise, I like some of the DE's. I think come draft day, guys like Orakpo and Hardy will be gone by our pick but they are my favorite two at this point.

I think DT is a position we look to address in the mid rounds.

skinzzfan25
10-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Goin to my first regular season game this week.

Better not give it up to the brownies -.-

DiG
10-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Goin to my first regular season game this week.

Better not give it up to the brownies -.-

ill be there this weekend too. i usually get to 1-2 games a year.

Sadly, I have been to 12 redskins games in my life and I am 0-12. Never seen them win...

703SKINS202
10-17-2008, 02:29 PM
ill be there this weekend too. i usually get to 1-2 games a year.

Sadly, I have been to 12 redskins games in my life and I am 0-12. Never seen them win...

You better sell your ticket!

SeanTaylorRIP
10-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Sloppy game. We dominated but couldn't finish our drives. But hey a win is a win. We better beat Detroit to get to 6-2, when really we should be effing 6-1 right now, but whatever. Devin Thomas came up huge on special teams. Glad to see he is working hard no matter what he is asked to do. That bum Malcolm Kelly just needs to be put on the IR so we can sign a vet wideout from the market who might actually contribute. Plackimeier was great compared to what Durant Brooks was, Shaun Alexander should be cut. Rock is much better.

HChu
10-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Plackemeier is god! We should've blown 'em out of the water, but we couldn't finish any of our drives. A win is a win though, on to Detroit!

DiG
10-20-2008, 07:50 AM
can i just say. i am one of those guys that doubted Los coming into this year off injury based off his play prior to injury but he has been a complete STUD all year shutting down receivers. yesterday was no different. and that hit he put on Cribbs!!!

skinzzfan25
10-23-2008, 08:52 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80be24a0

Apparently, CP is a liability in the pass protection schemes. The Lions can exploit him while he blocks for Campbell.

LOL!

HChu
10-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Pretty ugly game, but a win is a win. Santana needs to stay on punt returns.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Pretty ugly game, but a win is a win. Santana needs to stay on punt returns.

I'd say yes obviously but not every time. Too much of a risk. I'd say 2-3 punt returns a game and we are golden. But yeah El needs to be replaced even if it is the slow as molasses James Thrash.

HChu
10-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Why Zorn Star has not even tried to put Devin Thomas on punt returns is baffling to me.

DiG
10-27-2008, 08:20 AM
couldnt watch the game but i saw highlights. campbell was money throwing the ball. nice to see him put up over 300 yards passing at such a high percentage rate. portis continues to beast mode with another game over 120 yards. and that hit that fletcher put on calvin johnson on 4th down a yard short of the first down marker?!?!?! pure beauty.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-27-2008, 08:59 AM
couldnt watch the game but i saw highlights. campbell was money throwing the ball. nice to see him put up over 300 yards passing at such a high percentage rate. portis continues to beast mode with another game over 120 yards. and that hit that fletcher put on calvin johnson on 4th down a yard short of the first down marker?!?!?! pure beauty.

Blache though was pissed off after the game and said our defense played like crap. Our defense did good but we suck holding leads. Campbell's 23/28 was so impressive. Two of those incompletion's were Santana unable to get his feet down and one would have been a catch last year except there is no force out rule, while one was a flat out drop from Cooley. So really 26 of 28 passes were on his receivers. One of them should have been picked by Ernie Sims although it was dropped, although it appeared that it was Devin Thomas who ran the wrong route. The only other pass that was questionable was a completion to Randle El in which if the defender jumped the route it would have been a pick 6, but he squeezed it in there. His TD to Moss was beautiful because he had to avoid a defender. He did have two fumbles which is a concern with ball security but the blocking was poor and he has made strides in ball protection. The fact of the matter is that Stephon Heyer is a RT not LT and struggled a bit with speed rushers. He did fill in decently for Samuels though. Jon Jansen on the other hand was crap the entire game other than recovering a key Campbell fumble. I do think that Heyer should retake RG over Jansen when Samuels comes back but it appears that Jansen has the RT spot now. I still worry about the lack of pass rush though. It says that Jason Taylor will have another surgery on his calf. Honestly I am willing to admit he was a horrible pickup. He has provided little pass rush and is a liability against the run. Honestly Demetric Evans makes us a better team than Jason Taylor. We really could have used that pick for something or someone better, but you can't be greedy, 6-2 is better than I ever though we'd start. We should be effing 7-1 though but oh well. This would be my worst case scenario for the rest of the season:

@ Steelers-Loss
vs. Dallas-Loss
@Seattle-Win
vs Giants- Loss
@Balimore-Win
@Cinci-Win
vs Philly-Loss
@49ers-Win

That would put us at 10-6 and hopefully the playoffs. That is obviously one of the worse case scenario's and I don't expect to lose all 3 division games at home but I would be scared. Hopefully Dallas should be a win. Baltimore game does scare me considering they haven't allowed a 100 yard rusher in over 2 years. If they shut down the run it will be tough. In a low scoring game they obviously have the advantage with their defense and Matt Stover. We do have the advantage because they have a young QB, their small but athletic line though could pose us problems because their lineman get to the second level quick. Their defense though is susceptible to the long pass so we need to exploit that. I hope they don't allow a 100 yard rusher until then, because I'd love to have CP be the first in forever. Also hopefully Campbell has that no INT record still in tact because the Ravens would be the ultimate test with Ed Reed and crew. They take so many chances for INT's which leads to big pass plays but also the higher chance of an INT. Man I can't wait for that game the Comcast media coverage will be ridiculous that entire week.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-29-2008, 04:01 PM
That London Fletcher hit reminded me so much of the ST hit on Crayton his rookie year.....Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

skinzzfan25
10-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't see how they can loose the Giants game.

Could be primetime due to flex schedule, revenge, pregame honoring of ST.

If they loose.... I'll be very disappointed.

Canadian_draft_fan
10-29-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't see how they can loose the Giants game.

Could be primetime due to flex schedule, revenge, pregame honoring of ST.

If they loose.... I'll be very disappointed.
I agree with your point but it's time for an English lesson:
1. I hope we don't lose the game.
vs.
2. I'm going on a date with a girl. I hope she's loose so that I can score.:eek:

HChu
11-06-2008, 06:48 PM
What do you guys think of the Skins possibly picking up DeAngelo Hall? I think with our coverage system he would fit in pretty nicely.

skinzzfan25
11-06-2008, 06:54 PM
I don't know if his salary can be worked out, but isn't he supposed to get a lot of money??

Not really down for paying too much for a malcontent.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-06-2008, 08:45 PM
No way on him, lots of money for lots of attitude, not much play to back it up.

Canadian_draft_fan
11-07-2008, 09:47 AM
No way on him, lots of money for lots of attitude, not much play to back it up.

Totally agree, I want no part of him on the Skins, regardless of price.

HChu
11-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Well we got him. Not that bad a deal if you ask me, might be a bit of a headcase, but if he performs then I'm fine with him. $492,000 for the rest of the year according to John Clayton.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3688600

HChu
11-12-2008, 03:51 PM
We need more talk in here guys! It's Dallas week! How do you see us faring this week? Obviously if Clinton is out we have zero chance of winning, but if he's good to go I'm thinking the same result as last match-up.

703SKINS202
11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
We need more talk in here guys! It's Dallas week! How do you see us faring this week? Obviously if Clinton is out we have zero chance of winning, but if he's good to go I'm thinking the same result as last match-up.

I wouldn't say zero chance but it will be difficult. Romo's not going to be 100% either and he is going to be rusty. I really do think though if we lose this game we will be in big trouble. Eagles will more than likely beat the Bengals and then we'd be in a 3 way tie at 6-4. Not too good. I trust Zorn though and think he will have a good gameplan against the cowboys. I expect the cowboys to pound the rock so hopefully we will be ready.

skinzzfan25
11-12-2008, 04:02 PM
We need Betts back regardless of Portis' status.

And with a weak/out Portis, Campbell needs to stretch the field more. Dallas' defense is quick and can attack the short passing game very easily.

DiG
11-12-2008, 04:08 PM
We need Betts back regardless of Portis' status.

And with a weak/out Portis, Campbell needs to stretch the field more. Dallas' defense is quick and can attack the short passing game very easily.

ive read that betts will suit up but that hes only about 80% still. bottom line is with or without betts we gotta have cp. he brings anothe level to the game and we cant forget about his pass blocking. we'll need him to chip ware all game.

703SKINS202
11-12-2008, 04:10 PM
I know Portis is a gamer and I think he is going to play but he has an MCL sprain and it usually takes 3-4 weeks to heal with rest. An 80% Betts, Cartwright and some Shaun might be able to get the job done if we attack them deep because if there's one thing that doesn't scare me about the cowboys it's their secondary.

D-Unit
11-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Big pivotal game for both sides. It's nearing make or break time for the Cowboys. Our pass defense does scare me though. Even with Newman back... we haven't had him healthy all year. Nothing makes me believe that he's all of sudden going to be his old self again. That takes time.

The only way I see the Boys winning is if we can outscore you guys. However, I'm not sure we can. Even if you don't have Portis, your defense has the ability to contain us.

Canadian_draft_fan
11-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Big pivotal game for both sides. It's nearing make or break time for the Cowboys. Our pass defense does scare me though. Even with Newman back... we haven't had him healthy all year. Nothing makes me believe that he's all of sudden going to be his old self again. That takes time.

The only way I see the Boys winning is if we can outscore you guys. However, I'm not sure we can. Even if you don't have Portis, your defense has the ability to contain us.
With Portis possibly out and Samuels hobbled our offence could suffer. Our defence should be good with Springs and Taylor back. Could be a low scoring game, but either way I expect it to be close. Dallas is desperate and could rally around Romo's return.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Basically Campbell is either going to go 300+ and 3 TD's and lead us to a win or we are going to have another 3 points output and Campbell will have 150 yards and 2 INT's.

BaLLiN
11-16-2008, 08:06 PM
well it looks like Hall paid off nicely

SeanTaylorRIP
11-16-2008, 10:09 PM
well it looks like Hall paid off nicely

He was beat but Romo underthrew 5 yards. This team isn't making the playoffs.

703SKINS202
11-16-2008, 11:48 PM
man,typical skins is all i can say

critesy
11-17-2008, 07:01 PM
the last first down when marion got that sweep to the outside, all i could think of is sean tay would of made that tackle. nothing against laron cause he is amazing and fought off the block and everything its just the only thing came to my mind was ****, sean tay i miss you.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Our DE's last night had awful containment. Instead of forcing things to flow towards our LB's, they made our LB's stretch to the edge also enabling them to be blocked easier and make tougher plays.

critesy
11-17-2008, 09:40 PM
yeah this game also showed me HB Blades can start on an NFL team but just be an average to above-average starter.

DiG
11-18-2008, 08:25 AM
yeah this game also showed me HB Blades can start on an NFL team but just be an average to above-average starter.

the thing is blades is a true mlb although he holds his own on the outside and i agree he can be a starter there but i think he will be even better on the inside down the road. we need to bring in someone to start on the outside next year. like a dansby or crowder.

critesy
11-18-2008, 09:20 AM
dansby would be absolutely sick, he was my favourite player coming out of college that year and yes being an auburn fan helps... but truly he is sick. and yeah if london ever got hurt we would take a hit but not as big as non-redskins fan would think.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-18-2008, 02:17 PM
I for one am shocked with how good Blades is at OLB. Because like noted he is a natural inside backer. I thought he was too slow to play OLB but he has really proved me wrong. I think when London retires Blades could be an excellent middle backer. The knock on him coming out was his range, but now that we know he has decent range to go along with being a tackling machine, I think he could be a great MLB.

critesy
11-19-2008, 12:36 PM
yeah man i noticed last game he shedded blocks nicely and was flowing to the ball very fluidly.

toddmlazarchick
11-22-2008, 06:17 PM
James Farrior, Dansby or Crowell would be excellent additions this offseason

SeanTaylorRIP
11-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Thank You Shawn Springs!!!! Ladell Betts almost fumbled away another game. Geez I never want to see him with a 4th quarter carry ever again in my life. Give it to Mike Sellers if you must.

HChu
11-23-2008, 06:42 PM
It wasn't pretty, but we did it.

703SKINS202
11-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Yea definitely not pretty. Our D-Line is beyond embarassing. Glad to see Landry get a pick after playing so far off the ball all year he deserves it.

critesy
11-23-2008, 07:13 PM
yeah wow. ladell. please.

skinzzfan25
11-23-2008, 07:23 PM
I remember a few years back Betts blew the Rams game for us when he fumbled going for a first down to win the game.

He has a knack for doing it, I'm positive he's done it before.

Glad to see Kelly out there getting some looks. He's the more 'now' prospect while Thomas could use another year of refining.

Jughead10
11-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Which 'Skins fan suggested that Snyder holds back tickets from the public, to sell them closer to gameday?

skinzzfan25
11-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Which 'Skins fan suggested that Snyder holds back tickets from the public, to sell them closer to gameday?

I didn't suggest it, but I've heard that as well.

I mean he does own StubHub, why not make money off of it while he can.

Jughead10
11-24-2008, 07:12 PM
I didn't suggest it, but I've heard that as well.

I mean he does own StubHub, why not make money off of it while he can.

Just wondering. My buddy bought 4 tickets directly from the Washington Redskins. I wasn't sure how that works. Why would there be tickets still available? Anyway now myself and 3 of my closest friends (all Giant fans), have face value lower level seats for the game.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Season tickets are sold out for about the next 25 years, but there are always single game tickets available.

Jughead10
11-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Season tickets are sold out for about the next 25 years, but there are always single game tickets available.

Very strange still. We bought 4 tickets next to each other. Season tickets are sold out for 25+ years for the Giants as well, but you can't get tickets unless you buy from someone else.

D-Unit
11-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Are the Redskins a playoff team?

HChu
11-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Are the Redskins a playoff team?

No, I just don't see it this year. We barely beat the Seahawks for god's sake. The Giants are going to be tough one, the Ravens are a much better team than originally thought. With the schedule we have, it's doable, but knowing our luck we're going to be on the outside looking in.

703SKINS202
11-27-2008, 12:07 PM
1 year anniversary of Sean Taylors death...:( RIP.

bigbluedefense
11-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Good game guys. While I don't see the Skins making the playoffs this year, they have some good pieces in place and I see them getting better with time. Theyre a couple of playmakers offensively and a DE away from being a special team.

That defense is nasty. I LOVE the back 7. Your safety duo is studly, I think the world of Landry and Horton. You have very good press man CBs, and I think it would be wise to extend Hall. He'll be studly in your press man scheme.

Your defensive line is very blue collar, but youre missing a stud DE on it. If you put a stud DE to go along with the rest of this defense, you'll have a beastly defense. Its already beastly, and very tough in the redzone and against the run. Add a pass rusher to add some consistency on that 4 man rush, and you guys will have an incredible defense. I think the world of it.

I was a big fan of Gregg Williams, but I must say, this new DC is better. Youre only a few players away from being a special team.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-30-2008, 09:16 PM
It's so sad that Demetric Evans leads the team in sacks with 3.5. Just as pathetic as last year. On defense our secondary is pretty much set if we keep Deangelo Hall who has played really good. Our LB's I trust HB Blades as future MLB so that would leave us needing to find an eventual replacement at OLB across from Rocky McIntosh. Washington needs to be gone this year and Blades will be serviceable at OLB while London is still playing. Andre Carter is solidified at RDE on this defense while Golston and Montgomery are solid but we could use an upgrade. If Fat Albert wants to come, let him. LDE is still a big issue where Demetric Evans is much better than Jason Taylor even as a pass rusher. He isn't the solution though. Luckily Jason Taylor only has 1 more year max. He can go ahead and retire and pursue his acting career which clearly is his biggest focus right now. Giants though, hands down are the best team in the league.

DiG
11-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Good game guys. While I don't see the Skins making the playoffs this year, they have some good pieces in place and I see them getting better with time. Theyre a couple of playmakers offensively and a DE away from being a special team.

That defense is nasty. I LOVE the back 7. Your safety duo is studly, I think the world of Landry and Horton. You have very good press man CBs, and I think it would be wise to extend Hall. He'll be studly in your press man scheme.

Your defensive line is very blue collar, but youre missing a stud DE on it. If you put a stud DE to go along with the rest of this defense, you'll have a beastly defense. Its already beastly, and very tough in the redzone and against the run. Add a pass rusher to add some consistency on that 4 man rush, and you guys will have an incredible defense. I think the world of it.

I was a big fan of Gregg Williams, but I must say, this new DC is better. Youre only a few players away from being a special team.

Thanks. You guys are clearly a better team. We are not there yet. We could make a run at the playoffs with Bengals, Niners, and home against the Eagles still to go but even if we made it I do not see us making it past the first round.

I also LOVE our back 7 but the lack of pressure on the qb absolutely KILLS me. And where a lot of people think the problem is at DE, I tend to think its more at DT. We've got good run stuffers with Monte and Gholston but we don't have a guy that can penetrate and get any kind of push in passing situations. Ultimately, I could see us going after a DT and a DE in the draft but unfortunately we have some other needs too.

As for the linebackers, I have nothing but love for McIntosh and Fletcher/Blades but I think we absolutely need an upgrade over Marcus Washington next year. He has been a liability and he hasn't shown up at all where he used to excel at blitzing and getting pressure on the qb. I hope we take care of this in FA because we need to use every draft pick on building the trenches.

The QB situation is for another day all together. I'm getting ever frustrated with Campbells development. I'm willing to let him finish out the year to prove himself but if things don't get better than I hope Colt gets a fair shot next year.

Jughead10
11-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Your fans are a joke. Showed up late despite the Sean Taylor thing before the game, and left real early. Tons of empty seats in the middle sections.

bigbluedefense
12-01-2008, 07:56 AM
why the Jason Campbell hate? I think he's good. Your WRs outside of Moss suck, thats the problem.

And the WCO will need time to develop. You don't have the WRs for it. You drafted 2 guys, but theyll need time.

You need a 2nd RB to keep Portis fresh too.

those rookie WRs and TE need to start making some noise.

Oh on a side note: Chris Horton reminds me so much of Polumalu/Bob Sanders. He's a really good player.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-01-2008, 08:41 AM
I have no problem with Campbell. His O-line sucks, and his wide receivers suck. It's easy for defenses now. All you have to do is double Moss and Cooley and we will go no where. Randle El gets no separation or run after the catch. Thrash gets no separation and can't catch. He's the master of almost making a catch. Devin Thomas can't run routes, and Malcolm Kelly is one of those almost big play guys. Too bad almost plays don't count in this league.

DiG
12-01-2008, 08:53 AM
why the Jason Campbell hate? I think he's good. Your WRs outside of Moss suck, thats the problem.

And the WCO will need time to develop. You don't have the WRs for it. You drafted 2 guys, but theyll need time.

You need a 2nd RB to keep Portis fresh too.

those rookie WRs and TE need to start making some noise.

See, I used to think that way too. For most of this year, I constantly convinced myself that was the case. Then I went to two games and spent a lot of the time trying to watch the play from an overhead view and I was surprised to see how often guys were getting open in the second tier but weren't getting looks. In the two games I was at, I counted numerous times where Devin Thomas had a step or two on his man in the 20-30 yard range downfield but never got any looks from Campbell.

The last two games I watched on TV from home and as much as I want to not believe it, it's true what people have said about Campbell locking on a single receiver. He will occasionally make progressions to his second or third option but he seems very slow to do it and only when he has a lot of time, which isn't often given our o-line issues lately (ie Jansen can't pass block and Rabach gets pushed back 5 yards on the snap).

A few glaring stats I don't like:

-People say, "Campbell has only thrown 4 ints and he went 8 weeks without a single interception! How can you complaint?!?!" Well, thats because he doesn't take any chances down field and he also is 28th in the league with only 10 td passes.

-The Redskins are 29th in the league for pass plays over 40 yards with only 3. Campbell has a big arm but I have been somewhat disappointed with his placement/accuracy on the few long balls he does throw.

-We are also 25th in the league giving up sacks with 32. Some of that attributes to the o-line but some also comes from Campbell holding on to the ball too long.

-Skins rank 25th in the league for receptions/yards by wrs with only 113 rec for 1410 yards.

I do like Campbell. Don't get me wrong. And I understand the WCO takes a while to learn. I remember reading somewhere that Zorn said it took Hassleback 3 years before he mastered it. But with that said, I am not fond of the direction Campbell is headed. He seems to be regressing to me more than he is progressing. I do put some blame on the personnel usage by the staff, like sending 2 receivers out on 3rd and long against 5 dbs, but some of it has to go on Campbell too.

DiG
12-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Example from the Giants game as to what I am getting at:

"3-6-WAS 36 (13:44) (Shotgun) 17-J.Campbell pass short middle to 83-J.Thrash to WAS 40 for 4 yards (21-K.Phillips)."

Moss is lined up left and runs what looks to be a double move, appears to be an obvious decoy route. To the right we had Cooley,Thrash, and ARE bunched with Kelly top side running his man off with what looked to be another decoy. ARE cleared to the right flat about 4-5 yards downfield, another probably decoy. Thrash ran an in route 4 yards downfield and Cooley ran a very nice seam about 8-10 yards downfield past the LB and in front of the safety.

Outcome: JC makes the wrong read and throws short of the marker to Thrash instead of downfield to Cooley. The Giants were cheating inside on the play. Campbells natural progression should of been Cooley since it was the perfect route for that defense. Instead, Campbell hurries the jumped route to Thrash for a pick up of only four yards.

QBs always get all the credit and all the blame. With this being the first year of the WCO, I understand Campbell needs time to progress. I just want to make sure he is progressing and if he isn't then we make the right adjustments.

DiG
12-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Some more stats I dont' like:

Some more stats I dont' like:

Passes thrown 21-30 yards: 6-12
Passes thrown 31-40 yards: 0-3
Passes thrown 41+ yards: 2-8

Total Over 20 yards: 8-23

NFC East
Romo has 33 attempts over 20 yards in 3 fewer games
Eli has 39 attempts over 20 yards
McNabb has 48 attempts over 20 yards

bigbluedefense
12-01-2008, 11:16 AM
hmmm. thats good info Dirty. im gonna start paying more attention to him now.

Im always so focused on what our defense is doing, i don't really pay attention to Campbell all that much.

Does Brennan have the arm to fit in these throws though? He has a lollipop throw to him, I don't know if he could do any better against the Giants. We would pick him off all day.

DiG
12-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Does Brennan have the arm to fit in these throws though? He has a lollipop throw to him, I don't know if he could do any better against the Giants. We would pick him off all day.

I wondered that too when we drafted him but he showed nothing in preseason play that would make me think that he doesn't.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d809b832b

Theres one throw in particular that he puts over the linebacker and in front of the safety that was pretty impressive. And a few where he hits the receiver in stride 30-40 yards downfield.

D-Unit
12-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Interesting read guys. I'm especially interested in this storyline because of how big a fan I am of Brennan. From the sidelines, watching Campbell, of course I'm going to be more critical of him than most would be, but putting that all aside here are a few thoughts that I have always had on him...even before Brennan got there.

I thought Campbell was a reach in the first round to begin with. I understood that he had a successful senior season, that he had NFL arm strength, ideal throwing motion/release, prototype size, and played top notch competition. He had all the measurables you could want, however, I didn't see the strong intangibles with him. I didn't see the right combination of intelligence and moxie in him that was apparent in other successful black QBs that came before him.. in McNair, Culpepper, McNabb. Forgive me if I made the "black" comparison, but it's natural. In reality, Campbell plays much more like the traditional white QB. His story is just another in the long line of draft prospects who got mistakenly graded high purely based off scouting measurables. This mistake will continue happening until the end of time, but it hurts a franchise a lot when it's a first round QB because they have to invest a lot of years and money in figuring out if they were right or wrong.

Now Campbell and the organization are stuck in a catch 22. He doesn't play bad enough that he would be considered a busted pick. On the other hand, he doesn't show a real potential for excellence. His measurables have carried him this far and he's not a bad QB by any means. He's just not a great QB. ...and the reason why is because I have the impression that he is a slow learner and when I watch him, he doesn't have that uncanny knack for making plays when the team needs it most. He's very robotic and mechanical. I have real concerns with his intelligence as a QB. I have heard that Brennan already has a better grasp and understanding of the offense than Campbell does despite being 3rd on the depth chart. Can a Redskins fan confirm this? It certainly wouldn't surprise me. So yeah, I think the Redskins have to take a deep reality check and determine what the future has in store for Campbell and figure out if he's the one who can lead them to where they want to go.

If they do want to stick with Campbell, then I think their entire philosphy has to change and they need a new coach. He can be a SB winning QB on a team with a strong running game and strong defense. One that simply requires him to be a bus driver. The WCO isn't that type of offense. That offense is ALL ABOUT THE QB! In the WCO, you need a heady QB with a great feel for the game. One that can put the team on his own shoulders and move the chains consistently. Fact of the matter is that I don't see Campbell as a good WCO QB at all.

Colt Brennan is a great fit in the WCO. He has ALL the intangibles. He has a great feel for the game. He can make plays out of nothing. He can make progressive reads and accepts responsibility. He's a bit of a mustang though. He's not the stallion thoroughbred that will give you everything you want. Look at the successful WCO teams and who their QBs are/were. Are/were they the mechanical bus driver type? Hmm... let's see... Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, Brett Favre, Matt Hasselbeck, etc etc. Definitely NOT bus driver types. I'm not going to say Colt is next in line, but he does have those characteristics to be a good WCO QB.

Everyone and I mean everyone here who thinks they are an expert on the subject will say Colt needs more time before he is thrown to the wolves. Yes, that is a safe answer. Dirty is the first guy that I've heard here to say that he hopes Colt gets a fair shot to win the job next season. It's a bold thing to say. It would be an even bolder thing for the Skins to actually "do". I don't see them doing it. However, my thoughts on the subject are that they should do it. If it took Hasselbeck 3 years, you might as well jump start the process with Colt instead of dragging out the inevitable failure with Campbell. You know what? Colt is gonna take lumps. He's gonna make some exceptional plays at the same time. And when you think of it... aren't even the best QBs the same in that matter? Colt was hammered when he first got to UH. Hawaii got murdered in first game against USC, but he did show bright glimpses. That was Colt's first game. Every game since then, he got better and better. That's the thing. He's shown that he is capable of improving. ...and he's done that in one of the most difficult offenses to master... the Run N' Shoot.

I don't think keeping Colt on the sidelines will hurt him by any means. However, I don't think it helps the Redskins in the long run. Getting him on the field and allowing him to take his lumps, will jump start the process and allow Zorn to more fully implement his schemes. Colt is capable of running advanced complex schemes. June Jones has been his mentor and June has said Colt did things in his offense that Warren Moon and Jim Kelly never mastered under him.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I think the biggest problem is that you have a Clash between Jim Zorn and his philosophies with what this team was built for. You have Jim Zorn's system with Joe Gibbs players. Our team and Jason Campbell are Joe Gibbs players. This team is built around playing physical defense and a power running offense which limits its QB to 15 throws a game with mostly screens and taking advantage of deep throws. The problem is that Zorn wants to enforce his WCO but other than Colt Brennan none of the personnel really fits what he needs. The O-line and Portis are built to be a power team in which the two backs command at least a combined 30-35 carries. Therefore our lineman are run blockers who are not athletic pass blockers. Our wideouts Moss and Randle El are not ideal WCO receivers although Moss is learning how to adapt. The problem is Zorn is confused with what to do. He wants to run the ball because of Portis, but because of that you are often left with 3rd and long situations. Unfortunately Zorn's 3rd down plays are still part of the WCO system and his playbook is very limited with 3rd and long plays. So what ends up happening is Zorn runs the ball and ends up having a playcall on a 3rd and long play which is more suited for a 3rd in 3 assuming you had a quick slant on 2nd down. You wouldn't believe how many 3rd and long plays have been called in which only 1 receiver ran past the markers. It's hard to move the chains that way. Zorn has two options, 1 is to work around the players he has and change up his philosophy. #2 option is to fully implement his WCO but have a complete overhaul of personnel starting with the entire O-line, going to the QB, WR's, and maybe even RB's. I think option 1 is much easier. Mike Sellers is the perfect example of a guy who is a terrific player but a victim of the Zorn scheme. He plays so much less than last year and is used more as a receiver than the run blocker he should be. At the end of the day, Zorn must wait until all of "Gibbs" players are gone until he can implement his own offense.

DiG
12-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Theres no reason that you cannot have a successful running game in the WCO. Alexander had several years where he put up huge numbers in the WCO. Zorn should not have to worry about Portis getting his touches in the WCO and if we actually had more of a threat in the pass game then Portis could probably thrive just as well on a few less touches a game which would benefit his longevity down the line.

I also do not think that the WRs are the problem. No reason that Moss can't excel in the WCO. El and Thrash may not be great fits but is that not why we drafted both Kelly and Thomas? Kelly has been hurt but he's healthy now and supposedly Thomas has been slower than expected picking up the system but I find that extremely hard to believe given the crappy 5 yard simple routes that the receivers have been running. I think that Thomas hasn't seen as much time because A) Randle El gets paid too much money B) Campbell locks on Moss/Cooley C) Zorn is using too many 2 wr sets on 3rd and long to protect Campbell who takes long to make reads

I will agree with STRIP in the idea that the o-line isn't built for the WCO. Jansen is god awful in pass protection and Rabach in consistently being pushed back immediately off the snap. Both those players are built for the run game at this point in their careers and are killing us in pass protection but they shouldn't be too hard to replace with the right guys moving forward.

I think D-Unit nailed it on the head in a lot of his points on Campbell in the WCO. He has all the physical tools but he is slow to make his reads, slow to release, and doesn't exude that same passion/drive that I want to see out of my quarterback. He just seems slow. And don't think that the FO doesn't recognize these things. Why do you think Campbell hasn't seen an extension offer yet?

Personally, I don't want a head coach who isn't comfortable running his offense. I like Zorn as a leader and I think he's got what it takes to do good things in Washington but not if he has to adapt his program and work outside his realm. That's recipe for a disaster. If Campbell doesn't show improvement in this offense by season end then I'm all for bringing in Colt. D-Unit already broke down what makes him right for the WCO and he's had just as much time as Campbell to learn it.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I think 1 year in a system in which it's not like he's been poor is enough to bench your first round QB for a 5th round second year player. I think Campbell's play on the field has earned him at least all of next year. I'd take my chances of having Campbell the outright starter next year and seeing if he takes the next step, at the very least you know he will be a serviceable QB. If you go down the road of having Colt go in there it's over for Campbell. And if Colt fails than you are looking at drafting another first round QB and waiting another 3 years. IMO you need Campbell starting next year. It's a low risk high reward play. He has shown flashes of making good throws and reads so if he puts it together all haters are shut up, at the very least he will be a serviceable game managing QB. Next year is really IMO one of if not our last year before minor rebuilding. Chris Samuels, London Fletcher,Randy Thomas, Mike Sellers, Jason Taylor, Randle El and guys like that will be down for 1 more run at it at least, and we need Campbell there who has the experience and has performed solid, instead of having to live with the pains of an essentially rookie QB while our team is built to win right now. If Campbell doesn't at least make steps next season then yeah it is Colt's turn in 2011. That would be a better time anyway for him with our vets retiring and us going into slight rebuilding. You put a guy like Colt in a situation in which he replaces a QB who is looked good upon by the media, and put him on a team expected to make the playoffs, and that is a recipe for disaster.

D-Unit
12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Yeah, it's too bold of a move to make Colt the starter next year from the start. However, if he has another good preseason, expect the decision to get more serious. By then teammates will start to believe in him... or maybe you'd put that question of doubt in their mind that maybe they'd be better off with another QB besides Campbell.

I don't realistically see Colt being the starter unless injury or mid-season failure by the Skins. I do however see him supplanting Collins as the 2nd string QB.

DiG
12-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm not saying that Colt should be the starter next year. All I'm saying is that if Campbell does not show marked improvement in the next handful of games then I do not want Campbell to be handed the rings again next year without fair competition. I basically don't want to start Campbell just because he was a first round pick if he isn't the best player for the job. If he proves otherwise to close the year or has a great offseason then yes he should start, but I'm not going to sit here and say that his progression this year hasn't been disappointing so far.

If we close out the year strong then of course theres no reason to replace Campbell but if we struggle and finish 9-7 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs then who is to say that we are a team thats expected to make the playoffs next year?

D-Unit
12-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Theres no reason that you cannot have a successful running game in the WCO. Alexander had several years where he put up huge numbers in the WCO. Zorn should not have to worry about Portis getting his touches in the WCO and if we actually had more of a threat in the pass game then Portis could probably thrive just as well on a few less touches a game which would benefit his longevity down the line.

I also do not think that the WRs are the problem. No reason that Moss can't excel in the WCO. El and Thrash may not be great fits but is that not why we drafted both Kelly and Thomas? Kelly has been hurt but he's healthy now and supposedly Thomas has been slower than expected picking up the system but I find that extremely hard to believe given the crappy 5 yard simple routes that the receivers have been running. I think that Thomas hasn't seen as much time because A) Randle El gets paid too much money B) Campbell locks on Moss/Cooley C) Zorn is using too many 2 wr sets on 3rd and long to protect Campbell who takes long to make reads

I will agree with STRIP in the idea that the o-line isn't built for the WCO. Jansen is god awful in pass protection and Rabach in consistently being pushed back immediately off the snap. Both those players are built for the run game at this point in their careers and are killing us in pass protection but they shouldn't be too hard to replace with the right guys moving forward.

I think D-Unit nailed it on the head in a lot of his points on Campbell in the WCO. He has all the physical tools but he is slow to make his reads, slow to release, and doesn't exude that same passion/drive that I want to see out of my quarterback. He just seems slow. And don't think that the FO doesn't recognize these things. Why do you think Campbell hasn't seen an extension offer yet?

Personally, I don't want a head coach who isn't comfortable running his offense. I like Zorn as a leader and I think he's got what it takes to do good things in Washington but not if he has to adapt his program and work outside his realm. That's recipe for a disaster. If Campbell doesn't show improvement in this offense by season end then I'm all for bringing in Colt. D-Unit already broke down what makes him right for the WCO and he's had just as much time as Campbell to learn it.
That is so right. Some of the best running games have come from the WCO and a lot of backs have gained fame through it... Hellooo Roger Craig, Garrison Hearst, Ahman Green, Shaun Alexander... Portis can continue to excel as a back in the WCO. IMO, he needs help from a more talent complimentary back than you guys already have.

The type of OL you have is not the problem. Some of the best run blocking OL have been key components to WCOs. It's more the talent of your OL. You guys simply need an upgrade along the line. That's all you need for Zorn to work his magic.

He drafted his QB (wink wink), he drafted his WRs, you got a great receiving TE (you might want to find a better run blocking TE to add to the mix), you got the RB (so long as you can keep him healthy). Just get Zorn that OL improvement and you have the peices to make the WCO take off. The key is Campbell. If he doesn't sooner or later "get it", the whole system will remain stagnant. Honestly, he still does deserve more time, but I think if things stay the same, there needs to be a meeting with Jesus.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-01-2008, 07:07 PM
That is so right. Some of the best running games have come from the WCO and a lot of backs have gained fame through it... Hellooo Roger Craig, Garrison Hearst, Ahman Green, Shaun Alexander... Portis can continue to excel as a back in the WCO. IMO, he needs help from a more talent complimentary back than you guys already have.

The type of OL you have is not the problem. Some of the best run blocking OL have been key components to WCOs. It's more the talent of your OL. You guys simply need an upgrade along the line. That's all you need for Zorn to work his magic.

He drafted his QB (wink wink), he drafted his WRs, you got a great receiving TE (you might want to find a better run blocking TE to add to the mix), you got the RB (so long as you can keep him healthy). Just get Zorn that OL improvement and you have the peices to make the WCO take off. The key is Campbell. If he doesn't sooner or later "get it", the whole system will remain stagnant. Honestly, he still does deserve more time, but I think if things stay the same, there needs to be a meeting with Jesus.

Not saying a RB can't do great at a WCO, I'm saying Zorn is confused. He wants to run slants on first down but second guesses himself and runs. He has such indecision in his playmaking it's like every play is it's own play instead of what it should be in that you call plays which relate to the situation. As far as Dirty Thirty where you said you need to see something from Campbell these last 4 games or there should be an open competition, to be honest what you see now is what you will see the next 4 games especially against top 5 defenses in the Ravens and Eagles. The first 5 games of next year after he has had a full offseason to digest the playbook and come in for offseason workouts will be the only accurate way to judge his progress and future in the system. I know it's so cliche we hate to hear it, but he has had 7 different offensive systems his past 8 years as a football player. I'm sure so many things are confusing and he is stuck between systems.

DiG
12-02-2008, 11:01 AM
heres something interesting to keep in mind. focus on years 2001-2003.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/bubba9497/hasselbeck-1.png

SeanTaylorRIP
12-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Unrelated from the QB talk, but if someone like LeSean McCoy or even Knowshon Moreno drops to us I know I may sound crazy but I think we'd have to consider it. With only 1 day 1 pick I think we have to go BPA. Sure you want help with the O-line, D-line, and secondary possibly, but it is only 1 pick. 1 pick that probably won't even have an immediate impact. I think we go BPA, to fix our O-line it's going to take much more than just the draft. Also with our ability to find players mid-late round and even undrafted like Heyer, Blades, Monty and Golston, Horton, I think that we can go BPA. That's why even if a guy like Maualuga drops to use we'd have to consider if we think HB can play OLB. Also even a Darrius Heyward Bey if Randle El is gone. Kelly and Thomas were just drafted but still that's only a 3 deep WR corps as I hardly consider Thrash a wideout. Anyways I went off topic but with McCoy or Moreno I am really worried about Portis. He is my favorite skin this decade aside from STRIP, but I think he might only have 2-4 more good years. He's only 27 but it's more like 29 or 30 in normal RB time because he got in the league as a 20 year old. Add the punishment he's taken he's more like a 32 year old back. I love the man, and almost any other back would have sat the past 4 weeks but he refuses to sit, but I think it's only a matter of time before he hits the wall. Betts is not the long term answer.

DiG
12-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I hear what your saying and I definitely would not rule out completely drafting a rb in the first round but they wouldn't be near the top of my draft board by any means. mccoy and moreno are talents for sure but I would have a good deal of guys ahead of them even if they did fall to us. id much rather someone fall from the trenches like orakpo, greg hardy, everette brown, sen'drick marks, ebben britton, or jason smith.

as for dhb...if he was on the board at our pick, id say screw team needs. id immediately cut randle el if dhb was on the board at our pick.

D-Unit
12-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I said before that Knowshon reminds me of Portis. I can see you guys going with McCoy or Moreno. Snyder loves to make big name picks. I don't think he cares too much about positional need either. Even wtih your high paid WRs on the roster, he still drafted Thomas and Kelly. Even with Cooley, he took Fred Davis (love him). Even with Sean Taylor he took Landry. You could argue that those positions were needs, but I don't think they were the biggest needs at the time. I think they were wants that were satisfied with high picks. But yeah, RB could be a real option. Especially since you guys have such little detph at such an important position.

DiG
12-03-2008, 01:12 PM
other than the fred davis pick, all the rest you mentioned were definite needs. very recently, when asked why they havent drafted dlineman the past couple years in the first or second round, cerrato responded that they have had plans to but all the top guys have been off the board and the value has been elsewhere. like i said, rb isn't out of the question, but i really think we need to address the trenches first and foremost. unless we trade down and get another early pick because without our second and fourth right now we have to make best of what we have.

D-Unit
12-03-2008, 01:22 PM
other than the fred davis pick, all the rest you mentioned were definite needs. very recently, when asked why they havent drafted dlineman the past couple years in the first or second round, cerrato responded that they have had plans to but all the top guys have been off the board and the value has been elsewhere. like i said, rb isn't out of the question, but i really think we need to address the trenches first and foremost. unless we trade down and get another early pick because without our second and fourth right now we have to make best of what we have.
I agree you should address the trenches, I just have serious doubts that's what Snyder will do.

WR might have been a need and spending one of your 2nd rounders on one was reasonable. But when you spent another 2nd rounder on a WR, that solidified to me that the strategy never was about real "need" as much as it was about "want".

DiG
12-03-2008, 01:30 PM
I agree you should address the trenches, I just have serious doubts that's what Snyder will do.

WR might have been a need and spending one of your 2nd rounders on one was reasonable. But when you spent another 2nd rounder on a WR, that solidified to me that the strategy never was about real "need" as much as it was about "want".

i agree. if they wanted to 2 wrs then we definitely could have waited and taken a second one in the mid rounds rather than again in rd 2. although there wasnt much for dline with that malcolm kelly pick available. groves went to the jags the very next pick. i always thought he was a little underweight but he did rush the passer well in college and i think hes put on 10lbs in jax already although he hasnt seen the field much. i always liked jason jones who also went later in rd 2 although i thought rd 2 was a bit of a reach for him. kendall langford could have been the best pick for us as a UT that gets good penetration.

D-Unit
12-03-2008, 01:42 PM
i agree. if they wanted to 2 wrs then we definitely could have waited and taken a second one in the mid rounds rather than again in rd 2. although there wasnt much for dline with that malcolm kelly pick available. groves went to the jags the very next pick. i always thought he was a little underweight but he did rush the passer well in college and i think hes put on 10lbs in jax already although he hasnt seen the field much. i always liked jason jones who also went later in rd 2 although i thought rd 2 was a bit of a reach for him. kendall langford could have been the best pick for us as a UT that gets good penetration.

Still too early to judge the rooks. Kelly has some nice upside of his own. I was just taking note of what seems to be the way Snyder goes about drafting.

I think you guys hit on Chad Rinehart though. How is his development going?

Pokeys
12-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Devin Thomas is incredible! lol... seriously don't make me laugh.

DiG
12-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Still too early to judge the rooks. Kelly has some nice upside of his own. I was just taking note of what seems to be the way Snyder goes about drafting.

I think you guys hit on Chad Rinehart though. How is his development going?

Preaseason went well for him. He got some looks at both guard spots. He should replace Kendall next year as the starter and I think he has a lot of promise. We really need a center to immediately take over next year and a good tackle to replace Jansen because heyer just isn't good enough to be a starter. He's a great backup but hes not a franchise starting lineman. My dream world at this point is Jordan Gross in FA and Jonathan Luigs in rd 3.

D-Unit
12-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Devin Thomas is incredible! lol... seriously don't make me laugh.
Um... what's making you laugh? He has awesome upside and this offense is tailor made for a guy like him to succeed in. He came out as a Junior. He pretty much missed the entire preseaon. He needs time to adjust to the NFL. You're too quick to judge on him.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Malcolm Kelly I'm not all too excited for. He doesn't get separation, he is as fragile as a porcelain vase, and is an almost caught it kind of guy. If he develops I'd be happy as hell, but I don't see it. Thomas is exciting. He is a physical big and strong guy who is the fastest WR on the team. Santana is definitely much quicker, but I think straight line speed he's faster. He has solid hands. All he needs is refinement in his route running but his potential is great. I already love how he blocks, Santana is a good guy to teach you. If Santana can block it would only be that much more effective for a big guy like Devin to block. Again with the draft common sense says go with the trenches, but at the end of the day we go with a marketable name. Whether that be Mauluga, Alphonso Smith, Knowshon Moreno. I had dreams earlier in the season of getting Aaron Curry which would make our LB corps nasty, but now we are way too out of range, and don't have the means of trading up for him. But as we have shown if we love a guy enough we would be willing to trade away future picks. Curry is the one guy I wouldn't mind doing that for.

D-Unit
12-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Malcolm Kelly I'm not all too excited for. He doesn't get separation, he is as fragile as a porcelain vase, and is an almost caught it kind of guy. If he develops I'd be happy as hell, but I don't see it. Thomas is exciting. He is a physical big and strong guy who is the fastest WR on the team. Santana is definitely much quicker, but I think straight line speed he's faster. He has solid hands. All he needs is refinement in his route running but his potential is great. I already love how he blocks, Santana is a good guy to teach you. If Santana can block it would only be that much more effective for a big guy like Devin to block. Again with the draft common sense says go with the trenches, but at the end of the day we go with a marketable name. Whether that be Mauluga, Alphonso Smith, Knowshon Moreno. I had dreams earlier in the season of getting Aaron Curry which would make our LB corps nasty, but now we are way too out of range, and don't have the means of trading up for him. But as we have shown if we love a guy enough we would be willing to trade away future picks. Curry is the one guy I wouldn't mind doing that for.
You guys are fine with your LBs. Get better play at DT and a whole lot will open up. You need inside penetration. You have good run stuffing DTs, but they are too one dimensional. I would be looking at that.

I know Center is a need, but you don't get one in the first round.... I don't care who it is.

Samuels is still a very good LT. I like Rinehart's chances at OG. Jansen has lost too much due to injury. Getting a RT is imperative, but there are a good amount of OTs in FA. I would look to score one there.

DE is a need, but Jason Taylor is coming back right? I think he still might have some juice left in the tank. A replacement for the future is important, but I still think a penetrating UT is what you guys need most to help you win next season. ...well, "most" outside of Campbell's growth and improvement...if that's possible.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-04-2008, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't say we are fine with our LB's. We are only 3 deep with one of them being London Fletcher who is 50 years old although still playing at a pro bowl level. If you look at this roster 2 years from now, Rocky McIntosh and HB Blades are the only LB's who will still be here.

D-Unit
12-04-2008, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't say we are fine with our LB's. We are only 3 deep with one of them being London Fletcher who is 50 years old although still playing at a pro bowl level. If you look at this roster 2 years from now, Rocky McIntosh and HB Blades are the only LB's who will still be here.
Well, to be more clear I meant you were fine enough where a first round need wouldn't serve you the greatest return. I don't like teams with 4-3 defenses drafting first round LBs. I think it's a waste. ...and you already have one in McIntosh. Another would be an abuse of resources.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Ha we don't care, we draft the biggest name in the first round. It's a shame though because we are such great late round drafters.

The following guys are late round guys we drafted who are either starters or started at some point for us:

Chris Horton-7th round
HB Blades-6th round
Anthony Montgomery-5th round
Reed Doughty-6th round
Kedric Golston-6th round
Rock Cartwright-7th round

D-Unit
12-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Ha we don't care, we draft the biggest name in the first round. It's a shame though because we are such great late round drafters.

The following guys are late round guys we drafted who are either starters or started at some point for us:

Chris Horton-7th round
HB Blades-6th round
Anthony Montgomery-5th round
Reed Doughty-6th round
Kedric Golston-6th round
Rock Cartwright-7th round
Yeah, you are great late round drafters. ...and I agree, you guys will go for the big name guy despite positional need. That's what I pointed out in my earlier post. Glad to see a Skins fan confirm my assumptions.

d34ng3l021
12-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I guess it must have been a scrimmage but I had a dream where the Redskins played each other. Landry picked off the ball but lost control of it and it fell into the hands of Fred Smoot, who was wearing 21 and playing RB. I thought Landry had gone for a TD for the longest time, but as the dream was being replayed, I saw that he lost control. Later, I guess I was right on the sideline cause I saw Jason Campbell rolling right and throwing the ball, but he was out of bounds when he threw.

DiG
12-04-2008, 02:26 PM
thats a pretty wierd dream d34....

and yes d unit i agree with you completely we need a penetrating dt more than a de at this point. im liking the idea of goin after a guy like sen derrick marks in rd 1 and then either an ot or c in rd 3. a lot is obviously going to depend on how we approach some of our aging high paid players this offseason. we will probably cut 1 or 2 but no way we cut them all (all being griff, springs, jansen, thomas, washington) my guess would be jansen and marcus washington but wouldnt be shocked to see one of springs or griff go too. even if we didnt cut griff id want dt but even more so if we let him go.

D-Unit
12-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Marks is a little too inconsistent to me. Great in some games, invisible in others.

I love Peria Jerry for you. I actually credit him a lot for Greg Hardy's success. He opens up Hardy to make plays and THAT'S exactly what you guys need. He's got awesome arm strength and I've seen him make some amazingly athletic moves. He attacks the backfield and holds the point of attack.

DiG
12-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Marks is a little too inconsistent to me. Great in some games, invisible in others.

I love Peria Jerry for you. I actually credit him a lot for Greg Hardy's success. He opens up Hardy to make plays and THAT'S exactly what you guys need. He's got awesome arm strength and I've seen him make some amazingly athletic moves. He attacks the backfield and holds the point of attack.

i like jerry too. i like even more that we could trade down and still get him and pick up another pick since we lost our 2nd to miami.

D-Unit
12-04-2008, 11:16 PM
i like jerry too. i like even more that we could trade down and still get him and pick up another pick since we lost our 2nd to miami.
Too early to tell how high or low he'd actually go. But perhaps you could. Has Snyder ever done something like that? Trade down for more picks? I don't recall off the top of my mind...

toddmlazarchick
12-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Too early to tell how high or low he'd actually go. But perhaps you could. Has Snyder ever done something like that? Trade down for more picks? I don't recall off the top of my mind...

We did it last year dont you remember?

I see our biggest issues at RT and DT. Both need to be addressed with big concern this offseason. One needs to be filled in the first round and one thru FA. Id love to snag Albert but im not sure if we can afford him. I do think we should make Jordan Gross a top priority. Jerry or Marks would be excellent picks for us. I really really hope we can trade back to later in the first because one of them should still be there and get a 2nd round pick too. In the 2nd Id take a G and then in the 3rd id go with an OLB. That could fill 4 major issues right there

SeanTaylorRIP
12-05-2008, 07:35 AM
I'd be more concerned about LT than RT. You need to prepare for a Chris Samuels retirement or decline which can happen any year now. Plus he's starting to get hurt, a bad sign. We need a long term answer for him, and IMO first round OT should be a huge priority if someone like Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith falls. We need a legitimate LT prospect who can learn from Samuels immediately and step in, in a couple years. For RT it is much easier to sign someone who can play it adequately and Heyer is serviceable for now. IMO right now LT>RT.

As for the trading down thing, that sounds dream, and logical, but first it's hard to find a partner because there must be some guy available that they really want to do that. Also even if we do trade down we won't just be drafting all of our positional needs. Vinny Cerato has stated he always goes for BPA over need. He claims that last year they were not trying to draft 3 receivers, it's just that they were the 3 top players on their board, if you can believe that.

treyskins
12-05-2008, 11:02 AM
If the Skins had stayed pat with their first round pick they could have picked up O.T. Sam Baker-left tackle who could have switched to right tackle and with his short arms been tried at left guard(although kendall is playing well).

Then with our second rounder pick up the best w.r. left in the draft.
Easy!
There can be no excuses, Vinny doesn't like drafting linemen.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-05-2008, 11:22 AM
If the Skins had stayed pat with their first round pick they could have picked up O.T. Sam Baker-left tackle who could have switched to right tackle and with his short arms been tried at left guard(although kendall is playing well).

Then with our second rounder pick up the best w.r. left in the draft.
Easy!
There can be no excuses, Vinny doesn't like drafting linemen.

And I don't expect him to either. I can all but guarantee we don't go O-line or D-line until late rounds. Our pick is most likely a LB or corner, or even a RB or WR if one drops.

treyskins
12-05-2008, 11:34 AM
A L.B. like sintim/cushing would help us so i wouldn't be upset at that.If a Corner drops, then even if Hall is signed, i can see that helps(smoot isn't forever) but Vinny would have a hard time surviving picking a R.B./W.R.

Blache is not fond of rookies so i think the skins make a play for D.T. in free agency(with monty re-signed) and look for a right tackle in the draft.

D-Unit
12-05-2008, 12:35 PM
I'd be more concerned about LT than RT. You need to prepare for a Chris Samuels retirement or decline which can happen any year now. Plus he's starting to get hurt, a bad sign. We need a long term answer for him, and IMO first round OT should be a huge priority if someone like Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith falls. We need a legitimate LT prospect who can learn from Samuels immediately and step in, in a couple years. For RT it is much easier to sign someone who can play it adequately and Heyer is serviceable for now. IMO right now LT>RT.

As for the trading down thing, that sounds dream, and logical, but first it's hard to find a partner because there must be some guy available that they really want to do that. Also even if we do trade down we won't just be drafting all of our positional needs. Vinny Cerato has stated he always goes for BPA over need. He claims that last year they were not trying to draft 3 receivers, it's just that they were the 3 top players on their board, if you can believe that.
LT is a position that is very worthy of using a first round pick on. RT, not so much so. You can get one later in the draft. So your priorities are right.

Vinny all but confirmed BPA over need is their philosophy. Scary. I like BPA that fits a need as a better philosophy. That's why you guys don't really have a lot of spread out talent. You've got it in bunches and a lot of high picks on the bench. Luckily, you've hit later in the draft and that has saved your starting line up.

DiG
12-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Vinny all but confirmed BPA over need is their philosophy. Scary. I like BPA that fits a need as a better philosophy. That's why you guys don't really have a lot of spread out talent. You've got it in bunches and a lot of high picks on the bench. Luckily, you've hit later in the draft and that has saved your starting line up.

Agreed but rb, cb, olb, and even wr in a sense can all be argued as needs too. just not as big a need as ot or dt/de. i am just hoping that if the bpa is from the trenches we dont pass on him for a more glorified position. i think that even from a BPA standpoint, a lot of the ots and dts projected in the 20-30 range should be ahead of moreno, mccoy, cushing, alphonso, and some others on the draft chart. whereas i do like curry, spikes, and dhb a ton.

BamaFalcon59
12-07-2008, 11:32 PM
You guys shouldn't have a need at cornerback, DeAngelo Hall should be re-signed. I think he is perfect for the Redskins' system. Man to man often with a safety blanket like Landry over the top covering the deep ball. And he is a different player from Carlos Rodgers, Hall being more of a playmaker.

toddmlazarchick
12-08-2008, 02:38 AM
I hope we lose out to get a better draft pick. We dont deserve the playoffs and if we make it we certainly wont cause any waves there!

SeanTaylorRIP
12-08-2008, 07:25 AM
I hope we lose out to get a better draft pick. We dont deserve the playoffs and if we make it we certainly wont cause any waves there!

Well whats the point of getting a better draft pick, as always are drafting will be completely random. I would never ever hope to lose out, but it is a definite possibility. Don't know why you are already giving up on the Skins. We are only a game out of the Cowboys and Falcons and the Cowboys still have the Giants and the Ravens. The Bengals are a completely winnable game. After that we are at home against a tough Eagles team. If we win both of those games we could be staring at a week 17 matchup with the 49ers for our 10th win and possibly a playoff spot. IMO with a rookie coach and practically rookie QB considering another new system, an 8-10 win first season is far from bad. Sure we faded away, and it looks bleak now having lost both tackles and Geisenger looking like a long snapper playing tackle, but I will never give up on the skins, and would never hope to lose out, for what to move up 5 spots in the draft and give Cerato even dumber ideas of who to draft. Today was just a bad matchup. The Ravens make offenses look even worse than this every game. We held in it. We had a chance at the end but Carlos got burned. Unlucky. The biggest blitzing team in the league and fastest pursuing team in the league up against a banged up line who has been struggling was not a good pairing. It's hard to make playcalls when you have no time to throw and outside of Moss no one can get early separation to make the quick throw. Watching Geisenger try to block Terrell Suggs was like watching a dog do calculus.

DiG
12-08-2008, 09:13 AM
so we aren't a playoff team. i've always thought that was probably the case but we started hot and so obviously i was hoping otherwise. we are simply inept offensively. portis being banged up doesn't help matters but even if he was healthy he can only do so much behind a struggling offensive line. the first half of the year the offensive line couldnt pass block well but they at least opened some holes for portis to run. thats simply not the case anymore. randy thomas is probably the only player on the offensive line that i would be excited to have back next year. kendalls not bad either but its time to get rhinehart rotated into the lineup. both heyer and jansen are not nfl starters. rabach can't run block or pass block well. and samuels is not the elite tackle he used to be although he's serviceable.

i understand the ravens have a great defense, nonetheless campbell was unimpressive again. either he doesn't see the blitz, he doesn't read the blitz, he doesn't react quickly enough to pressure, or all of the above. the times that he did try and get rid of the ball quickly he missed his throws. twice he threw the quick slant too far ahead and out of the reach of the receiver and two or three times he threw it at the receivers feet. i think that a lot of campbells problems are coming from zorns attempt to fix jasons fundamentals. bottom line, jason is a "serviceable" quarterback. thats not awful. a lot of teams have won superbowls with serviceable quarterbacks. but, it won't work for zorns wco. zorns qb is going to have to be mobile, quick thinking, and have a quick release. he has to be able to make 3 step drops and get rid of the ball on target. jason can't and hasn't been able to do any of that. if you are a redskins fan start accepting that jason is not going to be the future of our offense. he may very well be successful somewhere else but zorn has tried to make it work with him here and its not happening. i DO NOT think that campbell is the primary problem with our offense by any means. we aren't pass or run blocking well, receivers aren't getting enough separation in routes, we aren't getting productivity from our 3 2nd round receivers (i don't blame them either because they aren't being given any opportunities until 3rd and long situations), and portis is banged up. with all that said, it still doesn't change my perception that campbell isn't the right qb for this offense.

last night also continued to echo the need to draft an offensive tackle or snag jordan gross in fa. not only do heyer and jansen suck but it was an absolute embarrassment last night to throw geisenger out there across from suggs (who was already abusing samuels) and watch suggs straight up tell our sidelines that we were going to get jason killed and then watch him follow up immediately with a sack...

on a lighter note, laron landry is a friggin stud. thanks to laron, we did not get blown out too terribly last night. great interception and a very nice forced fumble led to our only points. deangelo looked great again too. very impressive in coverage given the time flacco had and impressed me alot in run support. blades also looks pretty good out there at olber and should probably be the official starter over marcus now even if he gets healthy. other than continued lack of pressure i really am happy about the direction of our defense.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-08-2008, 09:34 AM
With Mike Sellers unfortunately when he touches the ball he stops blocking. Whenever he tastes that ball he stops blocking. It's a shame he was starting to beast guys again because Portis was getting all the carries, but now that he's touching the ball again he's stopped blocking. He did run the ball extremely well yesterday. The two FB's for each team last night were the best runners on the field. As solid as the defense was yesterday, that last drive that ended with the Dmase TD was like a repeat against the Cowboys and Marion Barber. We know they were running it but still couldn't stop it. Only difference this time was we couldn't stop a FB from gashing us.

DiG
12-08-2008, 09:58 AM
strip - it was 20 degrees. our defense was on the field way too much and looked it. mcclain was fresh. i wasnt surprised.

D-Unit
12-08-2008, 12:19 PM
With Mike Sellers unfortunately when he touches the ball he stops blocking. Whenever he tastes that ball he stops blocking. It's a shame he was starting to beast guys again because Portis was getting all the carries, but now that he's touching the ball again he's stopped blocking. He did run the ball extremely well yesterday. The two FB's for each team last night were the best runners on the field. As solid as the defense was yesterday, that last drive that ended with the Dmase TD was like a repeat against the Cowboys and Marion Barber. We know they were running it but still couldn't stop it. Only difference this time was we couldn't stop a FB from gashing us.
I'm pretty sure that was Mark Clayton who caught the TD... but yeah... as I was watching the game, I was thinking the same thing. You couldn't stop the run even when you knew it was coming. Further emphasizing the need to beef up the middle of your DL.

And Campbell just doesn't get it. The ability is there. The head? I just don't see it. He's like a robot. No brain and no emotion. He doesn't rally the team like a leader should. He looks like a dead fish on a slab out there. His decision making is the real problem though. He still locks onto his first read. Still throws where the guy isn't open. Still throws to his receivers well short of the first down on third down plays. If your receivers weren't such good runners after the catch your offense would never score.

DiG
12-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty sure that was Mark Clayton who caught the TD... .

It was Mason. He did a double move and Carlos bit on what he assumed would be a run play and by the time he turned to the run and turned back mason had him beat. it was an all out blitz by the safeties and lbers playing the run so once carlos bit on it there was no hope

D-Unit
12-08-2008, 12:37 PM
It was Mason. He did a double move and Carlos bit on what he assumed would be a run play and by the time he turned to the run and turned back mason had him beat. it was an all out blitz by the safeties and lbers playing the run so once carlos bit on it there was no hope
Ah ok. My bad. As much as I hope you or the Eagles don't have a chance at the playoffs.. both of you are still very much alive.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Mathematically sure. Realistically very little chance. We will struggle to beat the Bengals let alone the Eagles.

Also I wish Zorn could be honest about Portis. Portis says he was fine, Zorn says he was fine, but why didn't he play. I know he's banged but I believe that Portis did want to play, but I am interested in why Zorn really didn't play Portis in the second half. Zorn said that he knew CP was fine but thought Ladell was heating up rushing the ball so he kept him in there. Yeah sure ok Zorny, 6 carries for 3 yards doesn't sound so hot.

DiG
12-08-2008, 04:54 PM
i dont believe portis or zorn that portis was healthy. i think that zorn knew that we werent going to run the ball on the ravens with portis or betts so he decided to rest portis for the stretch.

HChu
12-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I hate this team so very much.

D-Unit
12-08-2008, 05:36 PM
I hate this team so very much.
Isn't denial grand?

BTW, remove your sig. It's not appropriate for our forum. Thanks.

DiG
12-08-2008, 05:40 PM
redskins.com says samuels out for the season...

skinzzfan25
12-08-2008, 05:49 PM
redskins.com says samuels out for the season...

His knee was already hurt and probably has to get scoped. I don't know how bad this new injury is though.

D-Unit
12-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I guess LT shoots up as a big need in the draft.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Yup that's why I have had Jason Smith #1 on my draft board even prior to Samuels being hurt. I know many think Samuels has regressed a bunch but while he has some I think he is still a high level LT, the problem is he played the entire season on 1 leg which allowed speed rushers to beat him, problem is he only has a couple more years left in him. I seriously hope Zorn explains himself to Portis, because he could be playing with fire. Portis is our offense, their is no offense without Portis. The last thing you want to do is piss him off so he doesn't play hard. He has put his body on the line the entire season where as most other RB's in the league would have sat out, that he deserves a fair explanation. Zorn saying that he played Betts because Portis missed practice and Betts knew pass blocking pickups and routes much better is absolute hogwash. Portis knows who to block, that isn't the reason. You wouldn't see Brian Westbrook benched for Buckhalter if Westbrook missed the entire week of practice. Or you wouldn't see LT benched for Sproles if he missed the week of practice. Portis is a superstar RB and we better treat him this way. Zorn better not be playing games with Portis, because an unhappy Portis sets back this franchise 5 years. Portis is usually happy to give an interview but yesterday after the game he was cussing at reporters and pushing cameras out of his face. If Zorn is playing games with our superstar he is screwing things up terribly. There is no more loyal skin than Portis and if Zorn isn't straight with him we could lose Portis's loyalty. Portis may be a joking guy but all he cares about is respect.

D-Unit
12-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Personally, I hope you guys pass on a LT in the first 2 rounds. Dallas needs one too fall to them.