PDA

View Full Version : Workout advice

Pages : [1] 2

josh07039
08-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Over this summer I've been working out fairly regularly. One of my biggest problem areas is my abs. The issue is that when I flex my abs I can feel that the muscles have gotten stronger, however I cannot make a dent in the belt of fat around it. Im not fat by any means, in fact I'm kinda lanky at 6'2" 165, but I cant get rid of my that fat. What exercises can I do to tone up/ lose the belly? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Xonraider
08-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Watch boobies daily for about 10 minutes... its good for your health...

really..

BlindSite
08-06-2008, 12:39 AM
You can do sit ups till you wear a hole in the floor but to show your guts, or really 90% of muscles and make them defined you've got to do cardio.

Don't worry about having a six pack the ones you see in most places are pipe dreams and air brushed into photos.

If you've got a decent body fat % and you're lifting and doing cardio the strength and fitness your appearance will improve. Wanting to have a male model's body just isn't possibly for the vast majority of the population.

Turtlepower
08-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Always make sure to do at least 30 minutes of cardio if you are going to be doing any sort of exercise. There is a strong chance of injury if you focus too much on weights without any cardio.

Brent
08-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Working out a part of the body doesn't mean you're going to lose weight in that spot, it's a commonly held misconception. If you are serious about losing weight, then it's pretty easy: cardio training and PROPER DIET. I cannot stress diet enough. If you don't eat right, all that you do is worthless. I am a little tired and dont feel like typing everything I want to tell you out but if you want to know, I will.

BlindSite
08-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Losing weight is simple mathematics.

Burn more calories than you put in. The trick is to eat every 3 hours something like celery or carrot sticks to keep your metabolism ticking over.

A Perfect Score
08-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Losing weight is really simple, people just about it the wrong way. Im in the gym every day, and my body fat is around 8% now. Im 6'1 210, so that isnt just cause im skinny either. The fact is, 80% of losing weight and looking good is in your diet. I recommend foods like oatmeal, fruit, and chicken and rice as regular facets of your diet when trying to lose weight. Like blindsite said, a nice trick is instead of eating 3 big meals a day, eat 5 or 6 smaller meals.

Lower abs are probably the hardest muscle in hte body to isolate and tone. I too have trouble keeping tone down there even with my low body fat, and I find that sit ups arent nearly as effective as people make them out to be. In fact, sit up normally tone the upper abs and improvements are nearly as visible right above the waist. To tone those abs, do leg lifts. Keep your core tight while lying on your back and raise your legs up and down, do about 30 of those and see how that feels :D. Once you can do that comfortably, move to seated rows. However, do them off the edge of your bed with 5 Lb weights on each ankle. now THAT will tone your lower abs. Its what im doing right now in my program, and holy **** does your stomach burn afterwards.

Also, like TP said, make sure you do a putload of cardio. 20 minutes MINIMUM hard cardio before each workout session is a must to lose weight and see tone. Also, instead of trying to be a tough guy and show off at the gym, less weight and more reps will equal better aestethic improvements faster. In other words, you will looks better faster if u do less weight and more reps.

BRAVEHEART
08-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Over this summer I've been working out fairly regularly. One of my biggest problem areas is my abs. The issue is that when I flex my abs I can feel that the muscles have gotten stronger, however I cannot make a dent in the belt of fat around it. Im not fat by any means, in fact I'm kinda lanky at 6'2" 165, but I cant get rid of my that fat. What exercises can I do to tone up/ lose the belly? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hopefully you are young.

eaglesfan_45
08-06-2008, 03:46 AM
I am lucky, I don't have to workout what-so ever yet only 6% fat. I'm 5'10" and 105 lbs, I'm already taller than my Uncle and my Grandpa and my dad is 6'0". I'm so freaking skinny, about 1 year ago I was about 5'4" and 100 lbs, my height exploded but my weight stayed the same :/ weird. IDK how I got that sidetracked by Josh's lanky comment lol.

Meant to come in and say that I do some running, play basketball alot, and just go out back and do pull-ups on my porch. I love playing football but I would get crushed if I played with the kids at my school. But when I play in the park with some friends, I'm pretty good if I say so myself.

Caddy
08-06-2008, 03:53 AM
I am lucky, I don't have to workout what-so ever yet only 6% fat. I'm 5'10" and 105 lbs, I'm already taller than my Uncle and my Grandpa and my dad is 6'0". I'm so freaking skinny, about 1 year ago I was about 5'4" and 100 lbs, my height exploded but my weight stayed the same :/ weird. IDK how I got that sidetracked by Josh's lanky comment lol.

Meant to come in and say that I do some running, play basketball alot, and just go out back and do pull-ups on my porch. I love playing football but I would get crushed if I played with the kids at my school. But when I play in the park with some friends, I'm pretty good if I say so myself.

105lbs certainly isn't a lot of wit. I'd look at developing some more muscle.

eaglesfan_45
08-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Yeah, everyone tells me that lol. Lucky for me I'm quick, otherwise I'd be screwed.

Caddy
08-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Yeah, everyone tells me that lol. Lucky for me I'm quick, otherwise I'd be screwed.

Aren't you like 15 though so not weighing much shouldn't really be an issue at the moment?

If you were 18-19 and you were 5'10'' 105lbs then you might have an issue.

wicket
08-06-2008, 04:10 AM

Sounds like i could break you, i mean really break you in two, at 6'6 260 one talks different sizes, not saying its pure muscle, but not a lot of fat either. I am not that much of a gym kinda guy but i do know from the last time i can benchpress about 160 kilos (350 pounds about) and legg press 350kilos(770 pounds) easily but the machine didnt take more so you understand i am just a freak in leg strength and my upperbody could use a bit of work but still. I agree with what was said above though, do a lot of cardio and eat accordingly if you want to accentuate your muscles.
for muscle buildup use a lot of proteins, for lowering fat percentage watch two things:
1 low cal, so thing veggies and fruit
2 high fibre: oatmeal, rice etc, this is really important because besides cleaning up you intestents so they can take on the right nutriants better it also mean your body uses a lot of energy just to process the food, this is workout that you dont have to do yourself and more essentially, doesn't get you tired.

eaglesfan_45
08-06-2008, 04:12 AM
Aren't you like 15 though so not weighing much shouldn't really be an issue at the moment?

If you were 18-19 and you were 5'10'' 105lbs then you might have an issue.

yep, turned 16 about 1 month and a half ago

The Juice
08-06-2008, 08:26 AM
If you want to get cut you need to do a lot of cardio and clean up your diet. Abs are all about losing fat.

CJSchneider
08-06-2008, 08:26 AM
I recommend foods like oatmeal, fruit, and chicken and rice as regular facets of your diet when trying to lose weight. Like blindsite said, a nice trick is instead of eating 3 big meals a day, eat 5 or 6 smaller meals.

20 minutes MINIMUM hard cardio before each workout session is a must to lose weight and see tone. ...less weight and more reps will equal better aestethic improvements faster.

APS made some good points. I've never suggested oatmeal to anyone I train with but a daily diet consisting of 5 meals a dail with each meal consisting of:
5 ounce chicken breast, 1 cup gree beans or broccoli (no salt added), 2 small new potatoes or 1/2 cup of rice (only for 4 of the five meals) with regular snacks of seedless grapes or pineapple will get you shredded quick.

Cardio is a must and increase reps.
Be very carefull with ab excercises, the last thing you want to do is injur your lower back (which people do all the time). Keep in mind great definition is a result of more then one muscle group working together. You may want to target your obliques or back in conjunction with lower abs.

Something else I advise is get a workout partner who will push you, keep you motivated when you feel like quitting and be honest with you about your workout progress. Kepp journals and compare goals and progress.

bsaza2358
08-06-2008, 08:32 AM
I find that unless you work your lower back with things like dead lifts, trunk extensions, and some peripheral work using the high/regular/low rows, you will have issues keeping your abs together. I do regular crunches, oblique crunches, bicycle kicks, jack-knifes, and I use that stupid ball thing (it is evil) for core strength. I'm not going for a 6-pack, but I do my cardio and those exercises, and I can keep in decent shape, even at 28.

The Juice
08-06-2008, 08:35 AM
I find that unless you work your lower back with things like dead lifts, trunk extensions, and some peripheral work using the high/regular/low rows, you will have issues keeping your abs together. I do regular crunches, oblique crunches, bicycle kicks, jack-knifes, and I use that stupid ball thing (it is evil) for core strength. I'm not going for a 6-pack, but I do my cardio and those exercises, and I can keep in decent shape, even at 28.

Heh, "even at 28". You're pretty close to your prime at that age.

bsaza2358
08-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Not really. My metabolism has slowed down. I have cut soda completely out of my diet, and I've been limiting my eating of sweets. Used to be that I could just eat whatever, work out, and be okay. Not so anymore. Have to work hard just to maintain a 33" waist and 6'2", 187 lbs.

The Juice
08-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Not really. My metabolism has slowed down. I have cut soda completely out of my diet, and I've been limiting my eating of sweets. Used to be that I could just eat whatever, work out, and be okay. Not so anymore. Have to work hard just to maintain a 33" waist and 6'2", 187 lbs.

Your metabolism may have slown down but in terms of strength you're right about at your prime.

Best advice: Don't have surgery or get sick! I lost 40 pounds of hard work this summer due to surgery and sickness and I've only regained 20 pounds. That's ~20 pounds of muscle down in a matter of weeks...and it took me years to gain that weight.

CJSchneider
08-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Life doesn't start until 30, kids.

Sniper
08-06-2008, 08:47 AM

I'm ridiculously out of shape now, but one of the things that I did when I was in peak shape was situps on the ball with a 25 pound plate. 4 sets of 25, then 4 sets of 25 side ones and you'll be golden. Just don't do what I did (stopped working out and started eating a lot of ****** foods, changing that now though)

The Juice
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm ridiculously out of shape now, but one of the things that I did when I was in peak shape was situps on the ball with a 25 pound plate. 4 sets of 25, then 4 sets of 25 side ones and you'll be golden. Just don't do what I did (stopped working out and started eating a lot of ****** foods, changing that now though)

Weighted ab workouts are king. For some reason people think it's good to do 8 reps of bench press at a high weight but bad to do the same with abs. Train with weight! I do inclined situps with a twist with plates. I also do bridges with plates on my back. Abs are the same as any other muscle, you need to do low reps, high weight.

Bills2083
08-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Lower abs are probably the hardest muscle in hte body to isolate and tone. I too have trouble keeping tone down there even with my low body fat, and I find that sit ups arent nearly as effective as people make them out to be. In fact, sit up normally tone the upper abs and improvements are nearly as visible right above the waist. To tone those abs, do leg lifts. Keep your core tight while lying on your back and raise your legs up and down, do about 30 of those and see how that feels :D. Once you can do that comfortably, move to seated rows. However, do them off the edge of your bed with 5 Lb weights on each ankle. now THAT will tone your lower abs. Its what im doing right now in my program, and holy **** does your stomach burn afterwards.

When you bring your legs to a 90 degree angle and bring them back down, do you bring them down to the position of where your whole body is straight?

Canadian_kid16
08-06-2008, 08:59 AM
well, I've been working out alot this summer, and in a workout thats consisted of 45 crunches every 2 hours, along with 35 pushups every 2 hours, and one workout of bicep curls and other workouts...I've noticed a definite improvement in my shape, even without doing cardio (which I've started recently anyway, 2.36 mile jog every two days)

There are alot of variables that determine what you look like and how well you progress. In my case, I'm on a see food (and eat it) diet and I'll even admit that the shape in my chest has improved dramatically over the last month, and thats by only doing what I stated above. It all depends, but just keep working at it, and in time you will see results

CJSchneider
08-06-2008, 09:01 AM
4 reps of 6 every other day

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8913/08020720171jpgee6.jpg

Sniper
08-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Weighted ab workouts are king. For some reason people think it's good to do 8 reps of bench press at a high weight but bad to do the same with abs. Train with weight! I do inclined situps with a twist with plates. I also do bridges with plates on my back. Abs are the same as any other muscle, you need to do low reps, high weight.

Yeah I did those inclined situps too, after the thing I said. Another good one to do is cable pulls. Go to the station where you do cable crosses for chest. You grab the handle with both hands and you pull it to the opposite side. It destroys your obliques. 3 sets of 15 on each side, you're done. Absolutely spent.

And I once tried those "Floorwipers" from the 300 workout. They made me cry. I was supersetting those with deadlifts. It's enough to make a fully grown bear die.

The Juice
08-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Yeah I did those inclined situps too, after the thing I said. Another good one to do is cable pulls. Go to the station where you do cable crosses for chest. You grab the handle with both hands and you pull it to the opposite side. It destroys your obliques. 3 sets of 15 on each side, you're done. Absolutely spent.

And I once tried those "Floorwipers" from the 300 workout. They made me cry. I was supersetting those with deadlifts. It's enough to make a fully grown bear die.

Nice. As much as it can suck doing a killer workout, you get a great feeling afterwards. I just want to finish work and go blast a killer workout just reading this thread.

josh07039
08-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Just to let Braveheart know. Im almost 19, and yes I know I'm spindly. I'm going to start doing more cardio and trying to change my diet a bit because my diet sucks. 2 meals a day punctuated by soda and snacks can't be good for me. Once again thank you all for the input and anyone else who has any other ideas would be appreciated as well.
One more thing I know stuff like bench presses and pushups are good the chest, but what else can I do out of curiosity?

Bateman
08-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Just to let Braveheart know. Im almost 19, and yes I know I'm spindly. I'm going to start doing more cardio and trying to change my diet a bit because my diet sucks. 2 meals a day punctuated by soda and snacks can't be good for me. Once again thank you all for the input and anyone else who has any other ideas would be appreciated as well.

If I were you I would be bulking. Eat everything you can but avoid too much sugar or other "junk foods". It doesn't matter how hard you work in the gym if you aren't eating right.

TheBuffaloBills
08-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Just 3X a week 15 minutes a day and youll have a six-pack in no time.

Sniper
08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
One more thing I know stuff like bench presses and pushups are good the chest, but what else can I do out of curiosity?

Other than bench, incline bench, dumbbell bench, pushups, dumbbell incline bench, you can do cable crosses and decline pushups.

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 10:33 AM
what you can do to tone up your abs...

- regular crunches, (hands to the side of the head)

- get on your back, get your legs straight up in the air and touch your toes

- get on you back, hands to the side of your body, move your feet straight up and down (keep them 6 inches from the ground)

- get on your back, do bicycle, left knee right elbow, right knee, left elbow (should do at least 30 seconds of about 3 sets)

- on your back, get your left knee bent and use your right elbow and touch the outside of your knee, do the same with the right knee/left elbow.

bsaza2358
08-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Other than bench, incline bench, dumbbell bench, pushups, dumbbell incline bench, you can do cable crosses and decline pushups.

I love doing cable work across the board. Great for hitting multiple muscle groups, but also hard to do correctly when you're tired. Definitely use mirrors and/or a spotter to help you get proper form. Even if you have to go lighter to get the right form and not cheat, it will work well in the long run.

Brent
08-06-2008, 11:49 AM
If you are going for tone: less weight, more reps
If you are going for mass: more weight, less reps

But regardless of all that, you MUST MUST MUST MUST use proper form. That is the number one most important thing about weight training. Dont pay attention to how much you think you should be lifting or how much others are lifting, if you are totally serious about strength training then you must use proper form in all your lifts. Take less reps and less weight if you must because I assure you that with proper form you will see gains that are unbelievable.

Also, you must use consistency. If you want results, you need to do cardio and lifting everyday. Dont do 20-30 minutes of cardio unless you have never been active before. You should be doing no less than 30-45 minutes of running if you want to see some fast results. Personally, I run 5 miles a day at 7 minutes or less a mile. That does wonders, to be quite honest. And dont just jog the whole time, you have to push yourself the entire time or else you are just coasting along and you're barely working your heart.

As for diet, eggs for breakfast and dont put **** on them (I prefer poached on a piece of bread and some fruit, myself). Another thing you might want to cut out if you are serious about weight loss is dairy. Milk and cheese are the easiest way to gain weight. Instead buy unsweetened soy milk and use that on the granola, tastes the same and it's much less calories and carbs. Also, remember dont eat until you are full, eat so you dont feel hungry. And take in small portions, you dont need to eat a lot.

I have more I could say but it isnt coming to me so I will say this: dont eat apples any time before you run or you'll be hurting. And just remember that the last 5lbs you are trying to lose will be the absolute hardest. Let's say you are shooting to lose 10 lbs of fat, you will probably drop that first 5lbs in about a month or two (longer if you are just going with a proper diet and no working out) but that last five could take 6-12 months. I know that sounds silly but it's entirely true for most people.

PocketFullOfGloves
08-06-2008, 01:39 PM
As for diet, eggs for breakfast and dont put **** on them (I prefer poached on a piece of bread and some fruit, myself). Another thing you might want to cut out if you are serious about weight loss is dairy. Milk and cheese are the easiest way to gain weight. Instead buy unsweetened soy milk and use that on the granola, tastes the same and it's much less calories and carbs. Also, remember dont eat until you are full, eat so you dont feel hungry. And take in small portions, you dont need to eat a lot.

It depends on your goals, but eating alot is a must for anybody who is trying to gain muscle mass.

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 01:54 PM
The guy is kinda trying to gain weight brent, so running so much and eating more then just to not be hungry is probly not the best idea, but i can see it'll work well for someone who is trying to lose weight. I support anything thats gets people of their ass.

skinzzfan25
08-06-2008, 01:58 PM
When I'm working out, should I do cardio first then lift?

or vice versa...

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 02:02 PM

or vice versa...

You should probably lift first, you can do like jump rope or something before you lift and some quick streching/warmup. Thats what i do, then after lifting, i do a bunch of ab exercises and pushups and all and then run.

PocketFullOfGloves
08-06-2008, 02:03 PM

or vice versa...

You should always warmup before you lift but not tire yourself out. Ideally, you should do cardio and lifting at different times of the day if you're doing them both in the same day but I would weight lift first and then do cardio after if you must do it all at once.

skinzzfan25
08-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Alright thanks. I usually don't have enough time in the day to do both at seperate times so thanks for the help.

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Alright thanks. I usually don't have enough time in the day to do both at seperate times so thanks for the help.

I lift and then cardio right after, i dont see anything wrong with that so you're cool.

PocketFullOfGloves
08-06-2008, 02:12 PM
I lift and then cardio right after, i dont see anything wrong with that so you're cool.

It's just that lifting will tire you out so you won't have as much energy for your run. This is even worse if you do a lower body workout and then go for a run.

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 02:17 PM
It's just that lifting will tire you out so you won't have as much energy for your run. This is even worse if you do a lower body workout and then go for a run.

If you workout regulary, lifting wont slow you down on your run. Lifting before running doesnt hurt my running at all. I always do lowerbody workout and then do "power" running.

PocketFullOfGloves
08-06-2008, 02:22 PM
If you workout regulary, lifting wont slow you down on your run. Lifting before running doesnt hurt my running at all. I always do lowerbody workout and then do "power" running.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think expending energy running lowers what you can do from a cardio standpoint. That's like saying marathon athletes could weight lift before running and not be effected.

That said, we don't live in an ideal world and we can't always workout like we should. Sometimes sacrifices need to be made and running after a workout is a sacrifice that won't hurt you very much.

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 02:30 PM
You're kidding yourself if you don't think expending energy running lowers what you can do from a cardio standpoint. That's like saying marathon athletes could weight lift before running and not be effected.

That said, we don't live in an ideal world and we can't always workout like we should. Sometimes sacrifices need to be made and running after a workout is a sacrifice that won't hurt you very much.

Bigger, Faster, Stronger my friend. When i ran track, i was running for about 2.5 hours. In my mind it didnt affect my lifting i did after. I felt the same as not running.

PocketFullOfGloves
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Bigger, Faster, Stronger my friend. When i ran track, i was running for about 2.5 hours. In my mind it didnt affect my lifting i did after. I felt the same as not running.

I'll trust science over the way my body feels. :p

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll trust science over the way my body feels. :p

haha, well running a marathon, in the long run, will kill you if you lifted right before it. That's not the best example. I'll hit you up with some good rep later when it lets me because you had a good argument, welcome to the board. :D

PocketFullOfGloves
08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
haha, well running a marathon, in the long run, will kill you if you lifted right before it. That's not the best example. I'll hit you up with some good rep later when it lets me because you had a good argument, welcome to the board. :D

Heh, don't worry about the rep but I always love a good discussion on working out.

Brent
08-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I like to run before I lift but that's just me. My heart rate usually doesnt reach the levels it does during my lifting that it does when I run.

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Heh, don't worry about the rep but I always love a good discussion on working out.

Well then we're on the same page on something. ;)

I like to run before I lift but that's just me. My heart rate usually doesnt reach the levels it does during my lifting that it does when I run.

Hey man whatever floats your boat right? :)

PocketFullOfGloves
08-06-2008, 02:44 PM

I like to do cardio before to get my heart rate up and warm up. However, when I do real cardio, I usually run 10km+ so I am exhausted afterwards.

sweetness34
08-06-2008, 02:46 PM
I lift every other day and do cardio about 5 times a week.

My ab area is a focal point for me right now. I have really strong abs just some fat on the outside I need to get rid of.

One thing though, don't work your abs every day. They can take more punishment than other muscles but they still need rest to repair. I usually do 2 days of hard abs then a day where I do some situps, then 2 more days hard, then take a day off, etc...

Flutter kicks are very good, banana masons are good, I love leg lifts, I do regular sit ups, hanging sit ups, hanging leg lifts...Just a bunch of different exercises. Oh and do roman chair sit ups if you can, those will get you toned pretty quick.

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Your muscles expand when you give them time between workouts, so don't think it's best to workout 7 days a week. So sweetness, that sounds pretty good.

PocketFullOfGloves
08-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Anybody use supplements? I use protein and have used creatine in the past.

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 02:59 PM

None whatsoever. Just milk baby, :D

Brent
08-06-2008, 03:52 PM
I consume ridiculous amounts of water. Also, my weakspot is to pour some pomegranate juice (8-10oz) into a blender and then a bunch of frozen strawberries and a banana in there too and make a smoothie.

Brent
08-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I usually run 10km+ so I am exhausted afterwards.
Yeah, 6 miles is a good distance. I find that for your average person that 5-6 miles is just right, especially if you do it 5-7 times a week. I love that feeling when I finish working out of just being absolutely worn out.

If you can experience a runner's high, it's amazing.

LonghornsLegend
08-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Your muscles expand when you give them time between workouts, so don't think it's best to workout 7 days a week. So sweetness, that sounds pretty good.

I wouldn't sugest 7 days but 6 is ok if you break up your splits right...I usually go off and on, and for about 2-3 months I'll work out mon-sat, chest/back/arms/chest/back/arms and I mix in leg days...Right now I'm just working out 4 days a week, and I usually rotate between the two.

I take Cell-Tech after my workouts, and I order this great protein online I'd recommend to anyone looking to gain weight, its called 'serious mass'...Only $25 bucks and it offers 1600 calories and 75g of protein per serving, doubt you will find a higher ratio then that for cheaper and it taste great...You can google it and find all types of places to order it from.

TACKLE
08-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Chocolate Milk is supposed to be one of the most effective things to have after a workout. Several studies show that it gives better results than many protein shakes and things like Gatorade. It has something to do with the proportion of protein and glucose in the chocolate milk because your bodies needs both after workouts.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml
http://www.fitsugar.com/1684610

BlindSite
08-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Well you wouldn't want to drink too much Gatorade any way because its got as much calories as the average meal.

You're better of drinking water with a little bit of lemon juice in it and then a protein shake.

Creatin is better than either anyway.

Concentrated cows milk is pretty good stuff too.

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah, 6 miles is a good distance. I find that for your average person that 5-6 miles is just right, especially if you do it 5-7 times a week. I love that feeling when I finish working out of just being absolutely worn out.

If you can experience a runner's high, it's amazing.

I experiance a high from my workout because it's pushing yourself and you're working hard. I love it when i lift, then sprint so much, and when you just absolutely think you cant do it more, you do more. That's the high i get from it and that's why i love it.

Bosanac01
08-06-2008, 07:09 PM
sry double post.

eaglesfan_45
08-06-2008, 07:13 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/greendpinky/fail.gif

My tip: don't do this

Brent
08-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Creatin is better than either anyway.
All that stuff does is it makes your muscles hold more water weight to increase mass but it wont make you get stronger at a faster rate. Also, it's really not good for you if you use it over a long period of time.

LonghornsLegend
08-06-2008, 07:47 PM
All that stuff does is it makes your muscles hold more water weight to increase mass but it wont make you get stronger at a faster rate. Also, it's really not good for you if you use it over a long period of time.

Pretty much, if you take it for too long your body stops making it naturally, you have to cycle off and on with it...And you have to drink ALOT of water with it, more then normal, but I do think it makes you stronger faster, especially certain types...You will start to lose some of the swelling you have in your muscles when you stop taking it and lose some of that water weight, thats why I would suggest something like NO2 because you keep most of that mass when you stop taking it.

A Perfect Score
08-07-2008, 03:10 AM
I used to use Creatine, but to be honest, it doesnt do ****. It just makes u feel horrible when you take it and it doesnt dissolve in your system right. Kre-Alkylyn is a much better option for people looking for that sort of supplement. I used that for a while, but once again, I would suggest whey protein and a healthy diet as the best thing for a person looking to gain muscle mass.

Bosanac01
08-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Since he posted here a lot, wth happend to pocketfullofgloves?

locseti
08-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Has anyone used muscle milk?

eaglesfan_45
08-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Since he posted here a lot, wth happend to pocketfullofgloves?

he was Moses

Flo
08-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Creatine is massively misunderstood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine_supplements

Read through that. It sums up creative pretty well and there are plenty of credible sources that offer additional insight.

Basically:

-Creatine does work
-It increases strength and muscle recovery
-It may aid in muscle hypertrophy and weight gain (not water weight)
-You do add water weight initially
-There are no proven long-term side effects

Rob S
08-07-2008, 12:30 PM
its simple bro.

1. You cant spot reduce fat....it cant be done, forget it. Situps do no more than running, dancing, boxing, whatever for stomach fat.

2. Exercise more

3. Eat better

Thats it man. Pretty easy. Doing it is the hard part. If u need advice what to eat I can tell u, but when I get into the subject of nutrition I tend to get longwinded and include a lot of weird terms. Anyway, doing it is the hardest part....take it from me I have lost 80 pounds in the last year. If ur motivated and really want to do it you will.

Rob S
08-07-2008, 12:35 PM

it is good and it is delicious. If u want to lose weight there is better stuff, but if u want to gain/slash hold its good. However PWO I would recommend whey (as opposed to the casien in MM) because it absorbs faster and gets to ur muscles quicker when they need it. For any other shake tho, a casien whey blens is best (which MM has). Like I said tho, if u are cutting there is better stuff.

Also, I just want to make a quick point here that a lot of people dont get. Most people think PWO nutrition is all about the protein FALSE. More false it could not be. PWO u need carbs, lots of carbs. In fact a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ration of carb to protein is reccomended. Why, well it is complicated. But, essentialy u need to replace lost glycogen stores in ur muscles. Anyway, that is proper PWO nutrition. 3 to 1 right after the gym then about 2 hours later a meal with the opposite ratio.

Rob S
08-07-2008, 12:37 PM
and as for creatine......it is good, it is not dangerous and it is one of the best supplements out there. countless research has been done. U dont need to supplement to get good results, but if u do....creatine is one of ur best options.

Rob S
08-07-2008, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't sugest 7 days but 6 is ok if you break up your splits right...I usually go off and on, and for about 2-3 months I'll work out mon-sat, chest/back/arms/chest/back/arms and I mix in leg days...Right now I'm just working out 4 days a week, and I usually rotate between the two.

I take Cell-Tech after my workouts, and I order this great protein online I'd recommend to anyone looking to gain weight, its called 'serious mass'...Only $25 bucks and it offers 1600 calories and 75g of protein per serving, doubt you will find a higher ratio then that for cheaper and it taste great...You can google it and find all types of places to order it from.

gainers are crap dude....u will put on as much bad weight as good.

locseti
08-07-2008, 02:40 PM
it is good and it is delicious. If u want to lose weight there is better stuff, but if u want to gain/slash hold its good. However PWO I would recommend whey (as opposed to the casien in MM) because it absorbs faster and gets to ur muscles quicker when they need it. For any other shake tho, a casien whey blens is best (which MM has). Like I said tho, if u are cutting there is better stuff.

Also, I just want to make a quick point here that a lot of people dont get. Most people think PWO nutrition is all about the protein FALSE. More false it could not be. PWO u need carbs, lots of carbs. In fact a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ration of carb to protein is reccomended. Why, well it is complicated. But, essentialy u need to replace lost glycogen stores in ur muscles. Anyway, that is proper PWO nutrition. 3 to 1 right after the gym then about 2 hours later a meal with the opposite ratio.

I am definitely not trying to lose weight, I am trying to put it on. Right now I am on a diet of 4 eggs/toast in morning, snack (zucchini, carrots, apple, etc) 2 tuna sandwiches for lunch, snack, ground beef taco or chicken, some type of meat for dinner. Alot of protein, but I am looking to supplement the diet and I have heard good things about muscle milk. Is it ideal for gaining? Keep in mind my workout only consists of dumb bell curls, shoulders, and 500-700 push-ups a day (I don't have a gym membership) I actually picked up this push-up routine while I was unjustly thrown in jail, it's effin awesome and quick. I do 5 sets of 20 pushups, about 1 minute in between sets. After the 5, I rotate between curls and iron crosses, then back to the pushups, and so on. It only takes 30 - 45 mins, and pushups pretty much work every part of your upper body. You are supposed to do the pushup routine with a partner, Do your twenty, and then the other person does their twenty, then you get down right after their done. I actually started only doing like 5 to their 20, but I was able to go through the whole workout. Now I am up to twenty, it's been like 2 months, and I see a noticeable difference in definition, and have gained a little weight.

'cuse-213
08-07-2008, 05:26 PM

You cant, its about eating right, and a good run once in a while.

OK, I just had football and i have to brag, sorry.

5'8 155
Bench: 250
Squat: 315
Clean: 195
40: 4.54
Agility: 4.19

sweetness34
08-07-2008, 05:34 PM
I take creatine as well, naNO Vapor is what I'm on right now. I've seen some pretty good results so far in the first week and I've gotten bigger.

After my tub is gone I plan on taking a break from it and starting up with some new stuff. The Vapor is pretty good but I want to try some different supplements, probably EAS Phosphagen Elite.

A Perfect Score
08-07-2008, 06:47 PM
For anyone looking to lose weight, i really cant recommend anything better then CLA. Its works ridiculously well. You will see improvements withing the first week. Its a fat burning compound, sort of a slim factor type deal, but its fairly cheap and i cut my body fat like 6% when i was on it. My boxing coach recommended it and it works like nothing else. And drink lots of green tea. its a metabolism booster.

Bosanac01
08-07-2008, 07:05 PM
OK, I just had football and i have to brag, sorry.

5'8 155
Bench: 250
Squat: 315
Clean: 195
40: 4.54
Agility: 4.19

argggh, if only you were bigger man. That's the biggest problem with a lot of kids.
What position?

brat316
08-07-2008, 07:30 PM
try some leucine, you be lifting things you have never lifted before. Very small amount of creatine. SO you won't get that inflated look and once you stop you won't go down.

Canadian_kid16
08-07-2008, 07:31 PM
For anyone looking to lose weight, i really cant recommend anything better then CLA. Its works ridiculously well. You will see improvements withing the first week. Its a fat burning compound, sort of a slim factor type deal, but its fairly cheap and i cut my body fat like 6% when i was on it. My boxing coach recommended it and it works like nothing else. And drink lots of green tea. its a metabolism booster.

what about gaining wieght? There might have been something mentioned in here earlier...but I need to gain about 10-15 pounds for football (I'm at 155 right now)

brat316
08-07-2008, 07:38 PM
what about gaining wieght? There might have been something mentioned in here earlier...but I need to gain about 10-15 pounds for football (I'm at 155 right now)

Protein and the right Carbs, eating like 10 meals a day, Big Breakfast is the most important, and healthy snacks in between your meals.

Wheat bread, wheat pasta, stay away from sugar not fruit sugar. Make a lot of your own food like Chicken and Burgers.

GO to Askmen.com they have good articles on there

Rob S
08-07-2008, 07:42 PM
I am definitely not trying to lose weight, I am trying to put it on. Right now I am on a diet of 4 eggs/toast in morning, snack (zucchini, carrots, apple, etc) 2 tuna sandwiches for lunch, snack, ground beef taco or chicken, some type of meat for dinner. Alot of protein, but I am looking to supplement the diet and I have heard good things about muscle milk. Is it ideal for gaining? Keep in mind my workout only consists of dumb bell curls, shoulders, and 500-700 push-ups a day (I don't have a gym membership) I actually picked up this push-up routine while I was unjustly thrown in jail, it's effin awesome and quick. I do 5 sets of 20 pushups, about 1 minute in between sets. After the 5, I rotate between curls and iron crosses, then back to the pushups, and so on. It only takes 30 - 45 mins, and pushups pretty much work every part of your upper body. You are supposed to do the pushup routine with a partner, Do your twenty, and then the other person
does their twenty, then you get down right after their done. I actually started only doing like 5 to their 20, but I was able to go through the whole workout. Now I am up to twenty, it's been like 2 months, and I see a noticeable difference in definition, and have gained a little weight.

well.....if u really want to gain, lifting is the way to go. Ur not going to pack on serious weight with that routine, I think u will mainly see an increase in definition. All I know is about my routine. I lift to get strong rather than to look good. One comes with the other, but my main focus is to get stronger. Therefore my routine is all compounds lifts. If u want to start a good lifting routine, it is pretty much flawed if it doesnt incluse the big 3 (bench, deadlift, squat). They are the 3 best lifts to gai n overall strength and size. So, all in all. Its good ur doing pushups and 500-700 is an assload so good for. But if u are really serious about gaining ur gonna need to lift. U are going weight now because it is something called "newb gains". U will probably stop gaining soon, but dont stop the pushups, they are great for toning and stuff.

As far as diet. some rules.

1. Eat every 2-3 hours
2. Eat a lean source of protein at every meal if u can.
3. Eat veggies at every meal if u can.
4. Snack on healthy things like fruit and nuts
5. Drink a ton of water.

So....ur lucky because ur gaining. Feel free to pack on the calories in tasty ways. Eat as many nuts as u can handle, make ur shakes with milk. Feel free to eat as much lean meat as u want. What I did was more of a cutting diet, but I will tell u it and u can just add in more food.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal (make urs with milk), 6 egg white (u use regular eggs), piece of fruit

Snack: Protein shake (make urs with milk and feel free to do more than 1 scoop), fruit

lunch: 8 oz chicken breast over a giant salad (I am talking tons of veggies....feel free to add extra chicken and dress ur salad with an oil based vinegarette....not ranch or a creamy dressing tho)

Snack: 1/2 cups oats and fruit

dinner: same as lunch (u can sub any lean meat)....u can get creative too....so long as u have meat and good veggies (corn and white potatoes dont fit this)

Pre bed: Shake with milk, 1 oz of nuts

for u......feel free to snack on healthy stuff like nuts and yogurt whenever.

Also for PWO. Do the 4:1 ration thing after the gym then eat ur protein based meal. A good way to get all those carbs is powdered gatorade (the sugar in the powder is better than the pre made bottled stuff). drink some of that and take a shake after the gym.

If anything is unclear let me know

Rob S
08-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I take creatine as well, naNO Vapor is what I'm on right now. I've seen some pretty good results so far in the first week and I've gotten bigger.

After my tub is gone I plan on taking a break from it and starting up with some new stuff. The Vapor is pretty good but I want to try some different supplements, probably EAS Phosphagen Elite.

vapor is good....gets me pumped as hell, but its also wayyyy too pricey. coffee or a diet coke get me going plenty good enough when the alternative is like 60 something bucks

Rob S
08-07-2008, 07:45 PM

green tea is awesome....i drink tons. If its not ur thing, take beta carnatine. same thing thats in green tea. white tea is insanely good for u as well.

A Perfect Score
08-07-2008, 07:52 PM

Well i have a naturally big frame, wide shoulders/narrow hips, so my weight doesnt really fluctuate all that much. I topped out at round 220, and then when i wanted to slim down for more definition i used CLA.

For gaining weight, id recommend what other people have said mostly...whey protein is always a good bet, kre-alkalyn is great before workouts for a huge energy boost, eat lots of meat and stay away from alot of carbs and sugars.

Bosanac01
08-07-2008, 07:52 PM
peanuts/peanut butter can help you gain weight. I would recommend if you really wanna gain weight, then make sure you eat at least 6-7 times a day, doesnt matter if you're hungry or not. I can pack on weight when i want like this.

Rob S
08-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I cant wait till I get real lean so I can afford to eat big.....oh it will be amazing

'cuse-213
08-07-2008, 11:11 PM
argggh, if only you were bigger man. That's the biggest problem with a lot of kids.
What position?

Yeah I know it, gaining good weight is real hard for me. I can take whey, and eat at least 6 meals a day..little results.
Im a corner.

Rob S
08-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah I know it, gaining good weight is real hard for me. I can take whey, and eat at least 6 meals a day..little results.
Im a corner.

just eat more man......if it is a money issue I feel u, but if ur parents are buying ur food (trust me enjoy while u can) dont stop eating. Eat till u are stuffed at every meal. Snack on nuts like crazy, they are loaded with healthy fats and therefore calories. Take all ur shake with whole milk. Hell if that doesnt work half and half. It sucks being a hard gainer and admittedly that is not my problem, but I have helped a lot of my insanely skinny friends pack on the weight. Just eat, eat like crazy. and dont overdue the cardio.....I recommend sprints for u instead of long distance. Ever wonder why sprinter are ripped and huge while long distance guys are lanky.......

Bosanac01
08-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Im a corner.

I know how it is man, i was always going through that and it gets frustrating because you are just trying to get bigger. I used to be a corner too but they switched me to LBer this year. im 5'8 170lb now (i was 160 in spring, 145 last year) and even though you probly wont believe me i'll still tell you... i run a 4.4 forty, no lie.
What i did was just eat a lot, eating is fun right? I just did it more often and i worked out and did power running, that's what worked for me.

Brent
08-08-2008, 12:29 AM
I wish I had trouble keeping on weight. I have to bust my ass to keep it off.

Bosanac01
08-08-2008, 12:35 AM

If i remember correctly, the pic from the meet the posters thread didnt look like you had to lose weight or anything. What are your measurement?

Rob S
08-08-2008, 01:32 AM

same here bro....sucks

Bosanac01
08-08-2008, 02:07 AM
same here bro....sucks

I always thought it was easy to lose weight, people are just different, i know though i'll probly be struggling to keep it off later lol.

Rob S
08-08-2008, 03:30 AM
I always thought it was easy to lose weight, people are just different, i know though i'll probly be struggling to keep it off later lol.

i am the ultimate man. seriously, I kid u not, if I have one cheat night. Say something like dominoes and drinking, I will wake up the next morning having gained 2 pounds. Now it comes off somewhat fast because of course u cant really gain that weight in one night. But cheating once a week isnt an option for me because if I really bust my ass i will lose like 2 a week.....so i may lose like half a pound a week if i cheat just once.

BuddyCHRIST
08-08-2008, 03:43 AM
I have a degree in exercise science so here's my few cents..

Diet is definitely going to be important and eating the multiple smaller meals is definitely the way to go, it keeps your bodies metabolism going all day and you won't have to store fat in between meals like you would if you ate big meals. After that the most important thing is to burn calories and there's multiple ways..

One is high intensity weight workouts, for some reason people think that working out with weights doesn't burn fat but you burn more calories lifting weights than you do jogging. The key to burning fat is to ignite your metabolism and have it burning fat all day. Nothing gets your metabolism going like a weight workout. Also be sure to work out the big muscles in your body like your back and legs since they ignite your metabolism more than the "vanity muscles" like your biceps or abs. Your body doesn't burn fat in specific areas. Be sure to mix up your workout too, your body adapts to what you do so change up your reps, the weight your doing and the exercises constantly.

Another is high intensity cardio and when I say that I mean running intervals. You'll burn WAYY more calories sprinting hard in intervals for 15 minutes than jogging for 45. There's lots of fat guys that run because you won't burn much calories if you never really get your heart rate going. Look at sprinter's they are some of the strongest looking and most cut guys in the world.

Another is to sort of combine the two in doing super sets which is where you do multiple exercises in a row and you'll build muscle and work up quite a sweat.

Last thing is a new thing I've been doing recently which is doing cardio after a weight workout (but on the same day). Alot of people run before they do weights to loosen up but if you run afterwards after youre muscles are tired and your metabolism is fired you'll burn twice the calories.

Bosanac01
08-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Last thing is a new thing I've been doing recently which is doing cardio after a weight workout (but on the same day). Alot of people run before they do weights to loosen up but if you run afterwards after youre muscles are tired and your metabolism is fired you'll burn twice the calories.

I've been doing that the whole summer. It's hard but it feels so good after you're done with it.

Brent
08-08-2008, 10:23 AM
If i remember correctly, the pic from the meet the posters thread didnt look like you had to lose weight or anything. What are your measurement?
Nah, I dont have to lose any (got that small amount... 4 or 5% body fat I suppose?) but if I dont work out and eat right, my natural metabolism isnt really high so I can put pounds on if I dont keep up with it. I am in the long process of losing that "last 5". I been working on it for so long... I just miss when I was in HS track and could eat endless amounts of junk food and never gain a pound.

ShutDwn
08-09-2008, 05:57 PM
green tea is awesome....i drink tons. If its not ur thing, take beta carnatine. same thing thats in green tea. white tea is insanely good for u as well.

What kind do you drink? I love green tea but am interested to know which is best, some have tons of sugar.

Bosanac01
08-09-2008, 06:32 PM
What kind do you drink? I love green tea but am interested to know which is best, some have tons of sugar.

Milk is the **** man, a lot of protein. Chocolate milk as well.

kwilk103
08-09-2008, 09:22 PM
hershel walker never lifted weights (might have been dorsett)

from 8p-12a everytime there was a commercial, he did 25 push-ups and 25 sit-ups; said it added up to 25k a year

im gonna do that when school starts since all my friends are on athletic teams and lift with them; i dont have a lifting partner and wont do free weights by myself

LonghornsLegend
08-09-2008, 09:50 PM

It's crap, don't waste your money on that garbage...I work at 24 hour fitness(this gym in Texas) and we sell that product, even the Managers at my store stop people and tell them to don't waste their money on it, so it must really suck if they don't even try to push the product, I haven't tried it but I wouldn't suggest it.

Get you a cheap Casein protein and a good Whey protein...Take your weigh protein first thing in the morning because its a faster digesting protein, gets your day started, then take the casein protein before you go to sleep which is a slow digesting protein, prevents your muscles from being broke down when your sleep and its slowly released...Whey protein is released alot quicker, so the casein is good for helping you gain weight.

StrongSide97
08-09-2008, 10:19 PM
This is my workout schedule, has been for about 3 months now:

4-5 days a week, or whenever I have free time.

Stretch
25 minute carido
100 situps with a 12 pound medicine ball
Various weights for about 20-30 minutes
Stretch
Either have a shake or eat something with a crap ton of protein.

josh07039
08-10-2008, 01:59 AM
Im glad to see this thread has just taken on a life of it's own. I'm also curious Rob S, what green tea do you drink? Because ever green tea Ive had is loaded with sugar.

Rob S
08-10-2008, 02:02 AM
It's crap, don't waste your money on that garbage...I work at 24 hour fitness(this gym in Texas) and we sell that product, even the Managers at my store stop people and tell them to don't waste their money on it, so it must really suck if they don't even try to push the product, I haven't tried it but I wouldn't suggest it.

Get you a cheap Casein protein and a good Whey protein...Take your weigh protein first thing in the morning because its a faster digesting protein, gets your day started, then take the casein protein before you go to sleep which is a slow digesting protein, prevents your muscles from being broke down when your sleep and its slowly released...Whey protein is released alot quicker, so the casein is good for helping you gain weight.

MM works just as well as any other generic protein casien based supplement. Its not any better as it claims, but it works fine. It's not crap. It is overpriced tho, altho if taste is a major concern to u it may be worth the extra as it is ******* delicious.

Rob S
08-10-2008, 02:05 AM

get the tea bag kind bro.......nothing but pure tea there. Brew up a ton, put it in a gallon jug and u have a better tasting and healthier alternative to lipton or arizona or w/e. If u like it sweet, go with splenda (its fine for u, the health concerns are BS) or honey (if u can afford the calories)- not too much honey tho. Personally, I stay true to the Asian tradition and drink it unsweetened. And u can drink it hot too (it just sounded like u were looking for iced tea)

Currently I drink a green-white blend that I believe is made by stash

If u are incredibly lazy and wont brew ur own......I think Arizona sells a fairly tasty Diet Green Tea and a Diet White Tea with 0 cals. They sell it by the gallon or half gallon too.

49ersfan_87
08-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Is there a best time to workout? EG is it better to do it in the morning, or does it not matter?

kalbears13
08-10-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm trying to get into working out but I've been really busy lately. I'm going to start tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get more into it during the school year. This is what I've been trying to do. I've usually done small variations of this.

Mondays/Thursdays: Pecs/Triceps
Tuesdays/Fridays: Shoulders/Biceps/Back
Wednesdays:Legs
Saturdays: Run
Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays: Abs
Sundays: Rest

I dont play sports anymore so I'm doing it more to not get fat and get defined muscles instead of trying to go for performance. Afterwards I'll have a protein bar with a glass of milk.

Strongside
08-10-2008, 01:12 PM
MM works just as well as any other generic protein casien based supplement. Its not any better as it claims, but it works fine. It's not crap. It is overpriced tho, altho if taste is a major concern to u it may be worth the extra as it is ******* delicious.

The only problem with muscle milk is that it has tons of fat in it. I like Quick Mass a lot better because it has 57 g of protein per serving and only 15 g of fat. Muscle milk only has 32 g of protein and 18 g of fat. But you''re right it is absolutely delicious.

A Perfect Score
08-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Is there a best time to workout? EG is it better to do it in the morning, or does it not matter?

The most important thing when picking a time to work out is consistency. For example, lets say you work out at 2:30 everyday. Your body adapts to this, and after some time you will find yourself most energetic and making great gains when you work out around 2:30. Its the same when taking supplements. If you take protein everyday at 4:30 after you work out, then you body expects that spike of protein at that time and can put it to better use then when it isnt really ready for it. I know alot of people like to work out early, but I personally like going after school or mid afternoon, or even late at night if i feel like making a double trip to the gym. If you are a morning person, then by all means work out in the morning. But consistency is whats key, in working out, taking supplements, and even meals.

Bosanac01
08-10-2008, 07:26 PM
hershel walker never lifted weights (might have been dorsett)

from 8p-12a everytime there was a commercial, he did 25 push-ups and 25 sit-ups; said it added up to 25k a year

im gonna do that when school starts since all my friends are on athletic teams and lift with them; i dont have a lifting partner and wont do free weights by myself

Man i did that from 1:45- 2:45 today, i was gonna do it more but it got kinda boring. I did 5 x 25 pushups, situps in that time... which is a total of 125 pushups, 125 situps, not bad.

Ravens1991
08-10-2008, 07:33 PM
I weigh 146 right now, I need to get down to 135 for wrestling, I was 140 then I ballooned up from vacation, any tips to get down.

JF4
08-10-2008, 07:35 PM
I weigh 146 right now, I need to get down to 135 for wrestling, I was 140 then I ballooned up from vacation, any tips to get down.

If you're wrestling you might as well wait untill weigh-in and cut 6 pounds then. Twill probably leave you a little stronger in the long run.

Ravens1991
08-10-2008, 07:39 PM
good point but you could lose weakness and all that, look at Brandon Vera he got dehydrated and was affected by that cut, while GSP can make the cut no problem, I guess it is all genetics.

JF4
08-10-2008, 07:41 PM
good point but you could lose weakness and all that, look at Brandon Vera he got dehydrated and was affected by that cut, while GSP can make the cut no problem, I guess it is all genetics.

True. But seeing as how you only need to lose 6, I don't imagine it would be too tough on your body.

And if you plan on wrestling in the future you might as well get used to it now because wrestling is infamous for heavy weight cuts.

Ravens1991
08-10-2008, 07:52 PM
yea I dont plan on wrestling in college. I was at this wrestling camp and wrestlers cut from 177-183 to 157, 230 to 197, 165 to 149. One coach who wrestled at Iowa(The USC of wrestling) a couple of years ago, he cut from 152 to 126 now has bad kidneys. it is crazy considering they have 1 hour to 2 hour weigh ins before matches. I read that Mark Schultz a gold medalist lost 12 pounds in 90 minutes. But a coach said in college he was the best athlete he has ever seen at Oklahoma.

Rob S
08-10-2008, 08:40 PM
go on sherdog ravens. read the FAQ for the conditioning section. there is a good weight cutting guide there. I could tell u if i cant find it but it will be a long ass post.

Rob S
08-10-2008, 08:41 PM
The only problem with muscle milk is that it has tons of fat in it. I like Quick Mass a lot better because it has 57 g of protein per serving and only 15 g of fat. Muscle milk only has 32 g of protein and 18 g of fat. But you''re right it is absolutely delicious.

Yeah....MM recently cut down the fat tho, and they sell a light version. I mean it just depends if u can afford the extra cals and fat. If so, I would use MM because of the taste.

kwilk103
08-10-2008, 09:06 PM

i always tried to gradually lose the weight

i would start dropping like 2 weeks before the 1st match

then i would stay around my weight (no more than 5-7 over; i usually stayed around 4); the 1 time my sr yr we had a month break; i hit a growth spurt and gained like 5 lbs and failed to make weight (im tall and skinny; couldnt get back down)

so, that would be my advice; b/c if you stay around your weight, you feel better than losing it all at once

49ersfan_87
08-14-2008, 12:02 AM
How useful are pushups? Should i focus on lifting weights more? Im looking to both improve my physique/gain strength so im just looking for more advice.

Edit- also, for pushups, should you use your palms, or should you use your knuckles? Or does it not make a difference?

Brent
08-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Hold up. 135? My god, how tall and how old are you?

Brent
08-14-2008, 12:06 AM
How useful are pushups? Should i focus on lifting weights more? Im looking to both improve my physique/gain strength so im just looking for more advice.
For me, dumbbell-based lifts were the ones that I saw the fastest and best gains. I went from bench pressing 65lbs dumbbells to benching 110lbs dumbbells in like 6 months. That, plus other lifts, I put on like 10 lbs of muscle over the course of a year.

Rob S
08-14-2008, 12:22 AM

Edit- also, for pushups, should you use your palms, or should you use your knuckles? Or does it not make a difference?

lifting always crushes push ups in everything but maybe toning. Pushups wont increase strength much at all. They will improve ur physique, but if u want to get stronger and bigger u gotta lift (or have just awesome luck genetics wise).

Ravens1991
08-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Hold up. 135? My god, how tall and how old are you?

5'8 and I am 16 about to be 17. I have gigantic head to so I look like the biggest dork in a singlet.

Canadian_kid16
08-14-2008, 10:16 AM
5'8 and I am 16 about to be 17. I have gigantic head to so I look like the biggest dork in a singlet.

is that why you would always ask for so much help in the dating thread? :D

j/k...but I thank Rob for the pushup info...I need to start getting back into lifting again, as I strayed from that to focus on pushups

o well, I don't need to get amazingly tank, shape is actually what I'm looking for.

One question...is 16 minutes for a 2.86 mile jog slow?

Brent
08-14-2008, 10:25 AM

j/k...but I thank Rob for the pushup info...I need to start getting back into lifting again, as I strayed from that to focus on pushups

o well, I don't need to get amazingly tank, shape is actually what I'm looking for.

if you keep your pace under 7 minutes a mile that is good for your average person

Brent
08-14-2008, 10:26 AM
dude, 5'8" 135? you're a twig arent you? I was that tall when I was your age and I was like 155 haha. Wow, it's okay though. Just know it's better to be skeletal than worrying about getting fat.

'cuse-213
08-14-2008, 10:41 AM
How bad is it to work out if you think you might have a cracked rib? I plan on going to the doctors sometime soon, but I was wondering if I could do light upper body and not hurt anything until then.

Ravens1991
08-14-2008, 12:18 PM

I actually am proud of my big head, proportioned to my body w/ how skinny I am I have the biggest head in the school. If I have a sweatshirt on people think I weigh at least 150 due to my head size and them not seeing how skinny I really am.

Yes I am a twig but I dont really care, being a tall lanky guy helps out w/ wrestling.

And that mile time is alright, I know kids on the cross country team that run that for a 3.1 mile run. Are you a runner?

Rob S
08-14-2008, 01:18 PM
How bad is it to work out if you think you might have a cracked rib? I plan on going to the doctors sometime soon, but I was wondering if I could do light upper body and not hurt anything until then.

I mean....if it hurts stop. Thats always the best advice. If u feel pain shut it down until u talk to a doctor. If u can do it without pain....then by all means go ahead.

'cuse-213
08-14-2008, 04:55 PM
I mean....if it hurts stop. Thats always the best advice. If u feel pain shut it down until u talk to a doctor. If u can do it without pain....then by all means go ahead.

Yeah, all I can really do is pushups. Im gonna go to the doctors lol.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-14-2008, 04:56 PM
I do cardio 4 times a week. I go on the treadmill for 60 minutes and usually punch out between 7 1/4- 7 1/2 miles. I then do ab work for 15-20 mins. 2 days a week I do my major lifting and just warm up by doing a quick 5 minute jog and 15 minute Jump rope warm up. I also warm up by doing 3 sets of 15 reps on the bench at 210.

Rob S
08-14-2008, 08:27 PM
I do cardio 4 times a week. I go on the treadmill for 60 minutes and usually punch out between 7 1/4- 7 1/2 miles. I then do ab work for 15-20 mins. 2 days a week I do my major lifting and just warm up by doing a quick 5 minute jog and 15 minute Jump rope warm up. I also warm up by doing 3 sets of 15 reps on the bench at 210.

beast haha. Seriously tho thats pretty impressive. Do u know ur 1RM on bench, I would be interested to know. Also for the other big 2 if u DL and Squat.

Canadian_kid16
08-14-2008, 08:45 PM
I actually am proud of my big head, proportioned to my body w/ how skinny I am I have the biggest head in the school. If I have a sweatshirt on people think I weigh at least 150 due to my head size and them not seeing how skinny I really am.

Yes I am a twig but I dont really care, being a tall lanky guy helps out w/ wrestling.

And that mile time is alright, I know kids on the cross country team that run that for a 3.1 mile run. Are you a runner?

oh heck no lol...football hockey and golf are the extent of my sports.

I'm just competitive as hell, so I want to be the best at everything I do

Rob S
08-14-2008, 08:46 PM
oh heck no lol...football hockey and golf are the extent of my sports.

I'm just competitive as hell, so I want to be the best at everything I do

I am the same way man. I will compete in absolutely anything.

Canadian_kid16
08-14-2008, 08:59 PM
I am the same way man. I will compete in absolutely anything.

heck yeah, I love the feel of competition, it sucks though cause I bring it into EVERYTHING...and in certain things competition is the last thing on my mind lol

brat316
08-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Anyone ever try Leucine? Good, Bad, not worth it?

I got this stuff from GNC Leucine Anabolic, I am not a fan of creatine because i took NO-explode before it had creatine it just inflates you. This has creatine but only like 3 grams.

Ravens1991
08-15-2008, 12:03 AM

you must be a tank.

That is preety good for running, I ran 12 miles in 2:16, did you run in high school or something.

Rob S
08-15-2008, 12:25 AM
you must be a tank.

That is preety good for running, I ran 12 miles in 2:16, did you run in high school or something.

I think ghetto did track.

Rob S
08-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Anyone ever try Leucine? Good, Bad, not worth it?

I got this stuff from GNC Leucine Anabolic, I am not a fan of creatine because i took NO-explode before it had creatine it just inflates you. This has creatine but only like 3 grams.

Never tried it, heard its pretty good tho. But creatine is one of the most effective sups u can get. Try creatine monohydrate. I havent met anyone who was disappointed.

Ravens1991
08-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Rob dont you box? How do you cut weight for it?

Rob S
08-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Rob dont you box? How do you cut weight for it?

not so much anymore.....but i used to do boxing/kickboxing/muay thai, etc. I got somewhat fat to play C for football and just recently lost the weight. Next summer I am going to take BJJ and hopefully do some MMA because my striking is good enough.

Anyways, the key to cutting is actually staying close to that weight when u have a fight coming up. U really dont want to have to dry urself out, it sucks so bad and leaves u weak. Also, the way u cut is determined if u weigh in same day or the day before.

I dont feel like writing out a long post so I will copy a very good article from a fighter on sherdog... Its more or less what I would do.

Weigh ins on the day-
One of the hardest things to do. You seriously don't want to be stripping water weight if your fighting in 4 hours, you'll be weak as a kitten (takes maybe 11 hours to full rehydrate, depending on how hard you went). Also the day before a fight (and the monring) you need to be eating high carbs meals, quite a few of them, to get you rearing to go on fight day.
Honestly, you want to walk around at maybe 4 or so pounds above your fighting weight, then you can train your arse off and cut a few calories leading up to the fight day. So if your fighting sat at 190lbs and at 10 days out your 194, cut some calories out (they say 500 cal a day and you'll loose a pound a week).
You want to ideally get to <188 on the thursday night so that you can eat some high carb foods on the thursday night and friday night (and sat morning) to replace glycogen.
Leading up to the fight, I personally cut out rice and bread. That usually helps me loose 4 lbs in a month. I'll also eat 4 meals a day:

breakfast being- either oats, a banana and honey with milk, or some museli.

lunch would be chicken (or any other lean meats), some nuts (cashews, peanuts), and as much kale, spinach and brocolli that i can stand (I'll often use some curry sauce or something with the chicken and have just enough to make the veg tasty....its a lot easier if you do this then have everything bland. I started off having just raw everything and grilled pieces of chicken, no sauce, nothing...it was hard not to vear off 'just this once' and have something bad for me)

dinner would be pretty much the same thing as lunch, but with some variation in veg composition (more kale, cabbage, spring onions, less broccoli and cauliflower)

I'd train about 3-4 hours after that. I didn't know about protein and carbs during training sessions at this point, but if I had done so I would have included some with BCAA's during training. I would always chug a 50g:30g (sometimes less) carb:protein drink straight after training.

When i got home I would often have some full fat milk and caesium based protein. Even though your cutting weight, having a treat like full fat milk (which i would have with the museli, and occasionally add some peanut butter...I train a lot btw) can keep you on the straight and narrow. Its a mental thing, like cheat days, but having pre determined cheat 'meals'

If weighing in the day before:
You have a lot to work with here.
Say your fighting on the sunday and your weigh in is at 2pm sat.
Depending on how experienced you are at it, you can cut down the food from wed, having much smaller meals, but having many more of them (in essence grazing, always feeling slightly hungry). You can go for a sweat run (in a sauna suite or numerous layers) on the thursday night, friday morning, a sauna friday night, and if your still over weight, sauna it up on the sat morning before the weigh in. If you don't have access to a sauna, a very hot bath for a hour and when you get out stay in the bath room (and put on a sauna suite or many layers again). You sweat like a monkey for about 20 minutes after you get out (and look very lobsteresk). During this 2 day period, sip water, don't down it. By friday night, you want to be sipping enough water to make you feel better, but not really satisfy you.
I also tend to wear maybe 4 layers up top and a pair of trousers and shorts when I go to bed. You'll loose 4-5 lbs over night doing that (I lost 6 because I was in a un air conditioned room in bangkok.....in June)

As soon as that weigh ins over, get some electrolytes in you (pedilyte is it, something to rehydrate you). Do not down it, sip it over the course of 20 minutes (say a litre or so). Nothing high GI if you can afford it. You want to slowly get your body back into the swing of things if you've been dieting hard. Start out with some porriage and milk (or water), some nuts and if your feeling good enough, a banana. Eat that then in about 30 minutes, get some oats in you, then 30 min after that, some whole wheat bread with some lean meats. After say 4 or so hours of grazing like that (with constant drinking of water and electrolyte solutions), its time to start eating full high carbs meals (rice, potatos, some veg).

Rob S
08-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Step 1 Follow Berardi's 7 habits! Especially in season. They are as follows:

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat "other carbs" only after exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.

Habit 8 is drink lots and lots of water. If you're already dehydrated, how are you going to cut any water weight? Sticking to the 7 habits all through the season(year round for fighters) will take care of 80% of most people's cutting problems.

Step 2
As competition nears, caloric restriction is necessary. A calorie IS NOT a calorie, but you can't stuff yourself with 4000 calories and expect to drop 20 pounds in a month. Calorie amounts do vary for different people, so find what works for you. You should be dropping roughly 2 pounds per week in fat if you're dieting properly. Remember to keep hydrated, and increase your water intake as you reduce calories, both to combat hunger and to keep healthy. You should of course be doing cardio to speed your weight loss. Remember to take your multivitamin and fish oil.

Step 3
The week before a competition (two if you have a lot of weight to lose) is the time drop the carbs, which will speed up fat loss and give you a nice drop in water weight as well. This is not Atkins, so don't try gobbling bacon, sausage, cream, etc. Your caloric intake should consist of vegetables, lean proteins, and some healthy fats such as fish/flax oil. Increase water intake further, try to get above two gallons a day. Add extra cardio. Long distance cardio on an elliptical or bike is a good choice as it is good on the knees.

Step 4
3 days out from the competition, switch to distilled water and drink only as much as you you're thirsty for, some where just south of one gallon. Further reduce your food intake by cutting down to 3, possibly 4 meals a day of fibrous veggies and extra lean protein such as egg whites, chicken, and fish. Now is the time to add a fiber supplement such as benefiber, (a natural laxative) and dandelion root (a gentle diuretic). Keep up with the fish oil and a multi, as it will be needed. Continue with cardio.

Step 5
The day of the weigh in. Drink very little water, only as much as you absolutely need Depending on whether you are within 3 pounds of your target weight, either keep your food the same, or further reduce caloric intake by lowering your protein. Eat only 2-3 meals this day, mostly veggies, a hard boiled egg or two, and a little chicken, and take your vitamins. Eat your last meal and drink your last water at least 12 hours before the weigh-ins. You should be within 2 pounds of your target weight at this time. If you are not, this is the time to sweat it out. Cut arm holes in a trash bag, put on some sweats and do low intensity cardio like riding an exercise bike. The sauna is another option if one is available.

*CAUTION- if have to sweat excess water out, you've ****** up somewhere along the way. This is okay once, maybe twice, because cutting weight is a learning experience and rarely exact, but making a habit of sweating water weight the night before a competition is unacceptable. The drastic dehydration measures taken by many not only lead to health issues and possibly death, they kill the very performance you're looking to achieve. Not to mention it can really mess up your ****bolism and leave you a fat bastard like so many wrestling coaches. So don't do it. Follow the above steps and there will be no need for severe dehydration.

Step 6
After the weigh-ins. Sip a recovery drink such as Accelerade, Pedialyte, Surge, etc. immediately afterwards. If you're not competing for a while, have a well balanced meal of protein, fruit, complex carbs, and some healthy fats. Don't eat too much, because you can get gassy. Eat normal, non aggravating foods and lots of slow release carbs; eat foods like apples, bread, nuts and turkey. Now is not the time for Mom's chili or leftover spaghetti. Eat small healthy meals, every 2 hours until competition, and drink plenty of fluids. Sports dinks are a good product for rehydrating at this time, so drink up!

Step 7
DON'T BINGE! You've made your weight, now stay within ten pounds of it throughout the rest of the season, 15-20 if you're a fighter. Follow the 7 habits, lose fat the right way and you should slide easily into your weight class in the future. Remember, fat loss =good. Water loss+starving yourself=bad.

Feel free to add to this as you see fit.

Xonraider
08-15-2008, 12:39 AM

www.themysterymethod.com

JF4
08-15-2008, 01:40 AM
If anyone is interested in a very good football-intesive workout regime made by a guy who was a strength trainer in the CFL and NBA I can hook it up. He's a trainer with my university team now and I have found it to be very beneficial to my on the field performance, most notably strength and speed-wise.

A Perfect Score
08-15-2008, 01:42 AM
hahaha Rob that sounds super complicated...ive been boxing for 8 years, and I find that once I found my appropriate weight (I'm 205 atm) its really easy for me to stay around that weight with proper diet and exercise. I dont have to cut for fights at all anymore. About 2 years ago I moved into MMA, ive been loving it ever since. I honestly prefer it to football, although thats because football is a pain when its 5 nights a week with games on sundays. Boxing is easy when you have been doing it as long as I have.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-15-2008, 10:05 AM
beast haha. Seriously tho thats pretty impressive. Do u know ur 1RM on bench, I would be interested to know. Also for the other big 2 if u DL and Squat.

365 is my highest max but that was 3-4 years ago, I don't know what it would be now. I was lean in college, now I am much more bulky. And no I don't deadlift or squat anymore, or at least since I was in college, too many back problems.

you must be a tank.

I ran collegiate track for a year actually at the University of Virginia. I was in contact with the school my entire senior year in high school but was never offered a scholarship. I walked on my freshman year hoping to eventually work for a scholarship but never ran at a meet. After my freshman year I quit and after my 3rd semester I transfered to George Mason University knowing the great job opportunities in the area, plus the academics at UVA are rediculous. In high school I ran everything from 110m H, all the way to 800m, however I tried to make it at UVA in LJ. In high school my PB in the 100 was 10.81, in the 200 22.59, 400 lower 52, and in the 8 like the lower 2 minutes. My 110m h were in the 15's. My LJ PB is 22' 3.75. Many of these times however were wind aided heavily and I was very inconsistent throughout the season. I ran a 11.8 100 at a league meet before, pretty embarrassing.

Rob S
08-15-2008, 04:46 PM
hahaha Rob that sounds super complicated...ive been boxing for 8 years, and I find that once I found my appropriate weight (I'm 205 atm) its really easy for me to stay around that weight with proper diet and exercise. I dont have to cut for fights at all anymore. About 2 years ago I moved into MMA, ive been loving it ever since. I honestly prefer it to football, although thats because football is a pain when its 5 nights a week with games on sundays. Boxing is easy when you have been doing it as long as I have.

Yeah, but some people go nuts cutting down. Getting insanely lean. I am sure u could make 185 if u wanted too. MMA just blows for me bc my wrestling is non existent and people lay and pray me. I am gonna commit to it tho.

A Perfect Score
08-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah, but some people go nuts cutting down. Getting insanely lean. I am sure u could make 185 if u wanted too. MMA just blows for me bc my wrestling is non existent and people lay and pray me. I am gonna commit to it tho.

haha why would i drop to 185 when i can beat everyone in my division :) hahaha just kidding, im sure your right and I could drop to 185, but man would i ever feel weak and little once i did. Im so comforttable at my current weight. My boxing coach asked me to bulk up once and fight a division higher, and I told him no cause I was comfy here :D. I have the frame to support more wieght, but right now this is where i like to fight.

Rob S
08-15-2008, 05:30 PM
haha why would i drop to 185 when i can beat everyone in my division :) hahaha just kidding, im sure your right and I could drop to 185, but man would i ever feel weak and little once i did. Im so comforttable at my current weight. My boxing coach asked me to bulk up once and fight a division higher, and I told him no cause I was comfy here :D. I have the frame to support more wieght, but right now this is where i like to fight.

once u go above 205 u gotta remember u will be fighting giants. BTW, how did u find the transition from boxing to MMA. I have a ton of striking background, just have no experience on the ground or wrestling. Was it the same for u?

A Perfect Score
08-15-2008, 05:45 PM
once u go above 205 u gotta remember u will be fighting giants. BTW, how did u find the transition from boxing to MMA. I have a ton of striking background, just have no experience on the ground or wrestling. Was it the same for u?

it was wierd at first. I found that as i started, I tried to keep fights upright as long as I could. In MMA, i have 6 knockouts. Ive only fought like 18 official matches though. Im a little more comfortable on the ground now, that said, I still try to knock someone out before i will wrestle them. All 6 of my losses have been by submission, I havent lost one decision. So Im still working on my ground game, even after 2 years. Boxing is still my method of fighting, and now that people know that, they exploit it. I lost my last 2 fights because people realized that. Ive been working hard on my takedown defense, and now that I am upgrading that, its easier to keep the fight upright.

Bosanac01
08-15-2008, 05:50 PM
I wanna see ya two fight. That'll be something to see.

Rob S
08-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I wanna see ya two fight. That'll be something to see.

haha, he is much larger than me.

A Perfect Score
08-15-2008, 09:46 PM
lol I have a dirty right jab left straight right uppercut combo, i dunno if Rob could take it :D it is my most trusted weapon. Rob would prolly kick my *** on the ground though, I am lacking in that department. I have been working heavily in muay thai, but my submissions and sibmission defense are not up to snuff. If the fight stays upright though, well :D we will see what happens

Ravens1991
08-15-2008, 10:09 PM
I believe Rob forte is stand up also. How bout a k-1 match.

Bosanac01
08-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Yea I think Rob is a stand up guy as well, that'll be fun to watch. I myself love to strike but im a good wrestler as well, my favorite thing to do from my street fights was ground and pound. I could easy take someone down and then I love being on top and just dellivering punishment to the face. I dont do sumbissions though, and my ground defense was always my strenght.

I have a litte boxing match set up tommorow at 3 pm, we'll see how that goes.

oldLibid21
08-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Yea I think Rob is a stand up guy as well, that'll be fun to watch. I myself love to strike but im a good wrestler as well, my favorite thing to do from my street fights was ground and pound. I could easy take someone down and then I love being on top and just dellivering punishment to the face. I dont do sumbissions though, and my ground defense was always my strenght.

I have a litte boxing match set up tommorow at 3 pm, we'll see how that goes.
Wow... that can be interpreted in a very very... bad... way.

Rob S
08-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah.....I am stand up as well. My jab is filthy too......are u a southpaw as well? But, my low kicks are my favorite weapon tho, and I occasionally headhunt with them too :). Only problem if we to fight is that I would want the fight at 170 or lower and I dont think u can make that, so......

Bosanac01
08-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Wow... that can be interpreted in a very very... bad... way.

haha lol, just noticed that.

Malaka
12-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Okay was about to start one but I'll bring this old one back, I just did 45 bench press 3 sets, on the third set I broke down after 6 but I took a 20 second break and did the other 4. I started with the bench because if I didn't I probably could not do 3 sets of 45.

diabsoule
12-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Just getting into going to the gym. I've been doing the elliptical machine for about 35 minutes trying to get my body acclimated to working out.

Malaka
12-05-2008, 08:52 PM
I think my legs can take 45s ons squats but my back can't I must be placing it wrong... unfortunately I am the only one in the gym so, I am alone with squatting right now, I need to figure it out.

Sniper
12-05-2008, 08:53 PM
I think my legs can take 45s ons squats but my back can't I must be placing it wrong... unfortunately I am the only one in the gym so, I am alone with squatting right now, I need to figure it out.

Don't squat until you've had someone show you proper technique. For right now, have someone monitor your squats.

In the mean time, do lunges and step ups.

Malaka
12-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Don't squat until you've had someone show you proper technique. For right now, have someone monitor your squats.

In the mean time, do lunges and step ups.

Alright, I'll wait till next practice and ask my coach how to do it properly, I will do some curling, and some free weights, then before my bicycle crunches, I'll do some some lunges and step ups.

Sniper
12-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Alright, I'll wait till next practice and ask my coach how to do it properly, I will do some curling, and some free weights, then before my bicycle crunches, I'll do some some lunges and step ups.

Floorwipers will blow your bicycle crunches out of the water. They're amazing.

I really need to work out again...

Malaka
12-05-2008, 09:01 PM
The ones where you lay on ur back with the bar over your head? I do those too, 25s and I just pull my legs up but I am sure there are more ways to do them I just pull them up and back down, 20 times sets of 3.

Sniper
12-05-2008, 09:02 PM
The ones where you lay on ur back with the bar over your head? I do those too, 25s and I just pull my legs up but I am sure there are more ways to do them I just pull them up and back down, 20 times sets of 3.

VQLtfH9clx4

Yeah, these guys.

Malaka
12-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah I do those but with 25s.

fenikz
12-05-2008, 09:09 PM
You don't have an offseason weight lifting program? At my school if you weren't in another sport you required to show up to team weight lifting everyday

Malaka
12-05-2008, 09:12 PM
You don't have an offseason weight lifting program? At my school if you weren't in another sport you required to show up to team weight lifting everyday

I am, I am in wrestling I actually quit wrestling to go to the offseason weight lifting but my freaking wrestling coach says I have potential, and I probably will be on varsity for 152s, and I still said no so he, went up to my football coach and told him in my face, I want Phillip to be in wrestling he can be great he has potential and my coach told me, "Phillip, I want you to go to wrestling serve your school, your self, your family and me by competing and doing your best, do not skip anymore wrestling practices to go to weightlifting," and I am back on the wrestling although I do not want to.

bored of education
12-05-2008, 09:13 PM

same with my schoool. i never went for obvious reasons

Brent
12-05-2008, 09:26 PM
I am, I am in wrestling I actually quit wrestling to go to the offseason weight lifting but my freaking wrestling coach says I have potential, and I probably will be on varsity for 152s, and I still said no so he, went up to my football coach and told him in my face, I want Phillip to be in wrestling he can be great he has potential and my coach told me, "Phillip, I want you to go to wrestling serve your school, your self, your family and me by competing and doing your best, do not skip anymore wrestling practices to go to weightlifting," and I am back on the wrestling although I do not want to.
What? If you dont want to wrestle, then dont. You're not their *****.

Malaka
12-05-2008, 10:19 PM
What? If you dont want to wrestle, then dont. You're not their *****.

I can't ******* quit, because my (football) coach said this in a speech in the weight room to the football team, if you go out for another sport don't come back after one week and say you did not like it, I won't let you back in here either. But I have wrestle for a month in a half, and missed at least 6 consecutive practices showing up only when I do not have a ride home, I skipped today probably tomorrow too, I just want to workout in the offseason but my god damn coaches.

Plus the wrestling coach is my 3rd period teacher I had a C and when I joined the wrestling team I magically got an A... heh

Jvig43
12-05-2008, 10:42 PM
VQLtfH9clx4

Yeah, these guys.

I do this workout three days a week, it tones your body like crazy, im addicted to it. as for squatting, if you only have 45s on each side you should be fine.

Malaka
12-05-2008, 10:46 PM
I just got back from the gym, I had done 3 sets of 10 of those, they are difficult I am going to start doing them everyday. I also did the bicycle crunches after them sniper, 125.

TitleTown088
12-06-2008, 01:21 AM
Anyone got a nice detailed chest workout for me? I need a new one badly.

Brent
12-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Just do dumbbell bench press. With proper form, it's a good one for building your chest.

Jvig43
12-06-2008, 01:39 AM

Pull ups and push ups, very basic but great all around workouts for your arms and chest.

Bruce Banner
12-06-2008, 01:46 AM
I'll just take Bo Jackson's word for it.

"I always thought going to the gym was for wimps"

Brent
12-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I'll just take Bo Jackson's word for it.

"I always thought going to the gym was for wimps"
Yes, and if you know the whole quote it's, "before I injured my hip, I always thought going to the gym was for wimps."

critesy
12-06-2008, 05:03 PM
anyone got a workout i can shnipe from them?

Bruce Banner
12-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes, and if you know the whole quote it's, "before I injured my hip, I always thought going to the gym was for wimps."

lol. context helps.

but I haven't injured my hip yet.

so I'll take his pre-freak injury word for it.

Strongside
12-06-2008, 05:20 PM

Bench Press (Barbell or dumbbell, mix it up every few weeks): 10, 8, 6, 1

Incline Bench: 10, 8, 6

Dumbbell Flies: 10, 8, 6

Dips: 3 sets til failure

This is what I do, works pretty well and hits every part of the chest

TitleTown088
12-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Just do dumbbell bench press. With proper form, it's a good one for building your chest.

Just dumbbell press? That's not going to do much, if anything. Not to mention I find bench press much more useful while working in DB press once in a while for variation.

Bench Press (Barbell or dumbbell, mix it up every few weeks): 10, 8, 6, 1

Incline Bench: 10, 8, 6

Dumbbell Flies: 10, 8, 6

Dips: 3 sets til failure

This is what I do, works pretty well and hits every part of the chest

That's essentially what I've been doing for the past three months with a set of Incline flies, decline press and push ups too. I'd like to try something with more variation. I think I need a whole new program.

Sniper
12-06-2008, 05:36 PM
TT, do pyramid style lifting. It's straight up money.

UK_Cheesehead
12-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I've been hitting the gym pretty hard lately.

I usually just do like 10-15 mins warmup of cardio on the bike, then go to weights, mainly free weights as it works the body a lot better imo. Do dumbbell bench press, flies, chest press, dumbbell rows, then I go on the tricep/bicep pulldown machine, and finish off by doing (hard to explain) like I have the weights in my hand by my side, then bring them up and out so they're level with my head quite wide apart, works the pecs really good. Then occassionally I'll mix that in by using the Pulley machine, Pulldown machine and Veritcal Traction machine.

Brent
12-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Just dumbbell press? That's not going to do much, if anything. Not to mention I find bench press much more useful while working in DB press once in a while for variation.
Well, I suppose I could have used better word choice but what I meant to say is that, for me at least, I saw huge gains in my chest with DB bench press.

Strongside
12-06-2008, 05:47 PM
That's essentially what I've been doing for the past three months with a set of Incline flies, decline press and push ups too. I'd like to try something with more variation. I think I need a whole new program.

You could try throwing in some close grip/wide grip bench or some drop sets or negatives.

Cable crossovers is good and can replace flies. Dumbbell pullover is pretty good too.

But if your not seeing results with that routine, it might just be because your overworking the muscle, especially if your doing 3 sets of each exercise. I don't know your experience level but that's a pretty advanced routine.

TitleTown088
12-06-2008, 05:52 PM
You could try throwing in some close grip/wide grip bench or some drop sets or negatives.

Cable crossovers is good and can replace flies. Dumbbell pullover is pretty good too.

But if your not seeing results with that routine, it might just be because your overworking the muscle, especially if your doing 3 sets of each exercise. I don't know your experience level but that's a pretty advanced routine.
I have been throwing in some neg sets here and there.

Cable cross over have been in there occasionally as well.

I'm seeing results with the routine,but it's been mostly in strength and tone.I want Totally revamp it to gain some mass. Its been dang near 6 months now that I think about it.

TT, do pyramid style lifting. It's straight up money.

I have been for the major lifts. 12, 10, 8, 6, for bench reg and incline, Shoulder press, Squats, rows. The only day I usually don't do pyramid is back day and biceps.

Sniper
12-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Do you increase the weight?

TitleTown088
12-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Do you increase the weight?

Yes. Usually ten pounds per set or so.

Sniper
12-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Yes. Usually ten pounds per set or so.

Good stuff. When I actually work out, my bench workout is 135 x 15-20, 155 x 12-15, 185 x 12-15, 205 x 10-12, 225 x fail. It works so well.

Unfortunately, I haven't lifted in like a year, so I wouldn't be able to do anywhere near that right now :(

TitleTown088
12-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Good stuff. When I actually work out, my bench workout is 135 x 15-20, 155 x 12-15, 185 x 12-15, 205 x 10-12, 225 x fail. It works so well.

Unfortunately, I haven't lifted in like a year, so I wouldn't be able to do anywhere near that right now :(

Why the heck would you stop lifting?

I think my problem is that I just don't have the genes to gain serious mass.

Sniper
12-06-2008, 06:01 PM

I got lazy, got a job and have to deal with classes. That, plus spraining my ankle (it didn't heal properly for a whole year) didn't help. You don't realize how much you need the ankle in everyday life, even in upper body lifting, till you sprain it.

TitleTown088
12-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I got lazy, got a job and have to deal with classes. That, plus spraining my ankle (it didn't heal properly for a whole year) didn't help. You don't realize how much you need the ankle in everyday life, even in upper body lifting, till you sprain it.

You gotta start swelling again bro. How else are you supposed to let everyone know how jacked and Tan you are?

Sniper
12-06-2008, 06:03 PM
You gotta start swelling again bro. How else are you supposed to let everyone know how jacked and Tan you are?

Haha I gained so much weight, I do need to cut down.

Another question for the gurus in here...any good cardio out there besides the indoor gym stuff? I love the jump rope, any good workouts with the rope?

TitleTown088
12-06-2008, 06:07 PM
I know this is indoor and may be a bit off topic. I really want to start swimming, such a good workout. but it just seems like it would be hard to get into. I'd look like a freaking idiot in there swimming laps.

UK_Cheesehead
12-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Not sure on rope stuff Sniper, but road running is the best thing I find for cardio, it helps if you need to shed any weight, or if you just want to get fitter if you play any sports or stuff. Is an excellent cardio workout though.

Yeah TT, swimming is excellent for workout, I try to do some lengths after I go the gym but a lot of the time I just don't have the time to do it, but it is great to do.

My genes aren't the best for gaining mass either, but I just have some USN Muscle Fuel (strawberry/banana/chocolate flavour) and have it after every session, really does help build up the muscle.

TitleTown088
12-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I try to stay away from supplements aside from a little protein. I'm very skeptical of them. I just eat very strictly.

When I lived in Europe last year I really noticed that Europeans don't workout outdoors like Americans do. When I would go for runs outside I would get the " WTF are you doing look". Is it that way in the UK?

UK_Cheesehead
12-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah kind of, a lot of people do their cardio stuff in the gym, probably because they are self conscious etc. but yeah, you don't see many people say going road running or whatever, not sure why, but I prefer it because it just keeps things fresh and a change of scenery just takes my mind off of running. Although you don't see that many people doing it, you don't get so much of a "WTF?" look, especially in London, they have a park where all people do is pretty much run.

TitleTown088
12-06-2008, 06:22 PM
That's so weird to me. I would much rather workout outside in the fresh air instead of being couped up inside. I guess its a bit different for me though because I don't live in a huge city.

Brent
12-06-2008, 06:34 PM
any good cardio out there besides the indoor gym stuff? I love the jump rope, any good workouts with the rope?
Long distance running, swimming and biking, are the best, in my opinion.

If you want the most for a limited amount of time: swimming is the way to go. If you have cash to spend on a decent road bike, do biking. If you cant/dont want to do any of those: running.

I run 5 miles a day at a 6:45 mile pace and that does wonders for me.

TitleTown088
12-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Long distance running, swimming and biking, are the best, in my opinion.

Don't forget sprints. Not everything has to be long distance.

Brent
12-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Don't forget sprints. Not everything has to be long distance.
Depends on what kind of sprints we are talking about.

TitleTown088
12-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Depends on what kind of sprints we are talking about.

Well of course. There are many kinds you can do for cardio. How about a couple sets of latters in a row?

Brent
12-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Well of course. There are many kinds you can do for cardio. How about a couple sets of latters in a row?
back when I was in track we did ladders all the time. 4-3-2-2-3-4 was pretty normal.

'cuse-213
01-19-2009, 11:26 AM
How bad is it to do upper body everyday?

I hate doing lowers, and now with all my sports done, I dont plan on doing them. And it doesnt feel right going to the gym only 3 days a week. So I figure Ill just do cardio, abs, and upper body everyday, as long as I change up the routine. Will that be ok?

Brent
01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
How bad is it to do upper body everyday?

I hate doing lowers, and now with all my sports done, I dont plan on doing them. And it doesnt feel right going to the gym only 3 days a week. So I figure Ill just do cardio, abs, and upper body everyday, as long as I change up the routine. Will that be ok?
If you want the prison build, then you should be fine. If you dont work your lower body, you will be disproportionate. If you just work the same upper body stuff everyday, you'll stop getting bigger because your body is used to the same routine. You need to switch things up and work different groups if you want to reap rewards for your efforts.

'cuse-213
01-19-2009, 11:37 AM
If you want the prison build, then you should be fine. If you dont work your lower body, you will be disproportionate. If you just work the same upper body stuff everyday, you'll stop getting bigger because your body is used to the same routine. You need to switch things up and work different groups if you want to reap rewards for your efforts.

I dont like the bulky look. Im 5'8'' 155 if you can picture that. Yeah, thats what I figured. So I guess Ill start doing lower body again, once track training comes along.

Sniper
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
I dont like the bulky look. Im 5'8'' 155 if you can picture that. Yeah, thats what I figured. So I guess Ill start doing lower body again, once track training comes along.

You could incorporate core stuff. I don't know if you consider Olympic lifts all lower body stuff. If you don't, O-lifts are awesome.

'cuse-213
01-19-2009, 11:42 AM
You could incorporate core stuff. I don't know if you consider Olympic lifts all lower body stuff. If you don't, O-lifts are awesome.

What do you mean by O-lifts, overhead?

Brent
01-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Dude, I'm 5'9" 160. Trust me, you arent going to get bulked up unless you match your diet to doing so. If you just work out a lot but dont take in a ton of protein and carbs, you arent going to see your body bulk up. If you are just looking to tone or keep in shape, just do high reps with less weight.

Sniper
01-19-2009, 11:48 AM
What do you mean by O-lifts, overhead?

Power cleans, hang cleans, jerks, clean and press, etc...

Google "Olympic Lifts". There's plenty out there. You're an athlete and you were never taught about O-lifts? Surprising.

'cuse-213
01-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Power cleans, hang cleans, jerks, clean and press, etc...

Google "Olympic Lifts". There's plenty out there. You're an athlete and you were never taught about O-lifts? Surprising.

Got ya, Ive just never heard the term O-lift. And yes, the gym Im at is ridiculous. They dont even have the equipment neccessary for these workouts. Partly the reason I just want to do cardio, and upper body. One time I took a bench bar to clean, people stared like I had a dick on my face. Youre not allowed to make any noise when you workout.. Awful gym.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-19-2009, 12:13 PM
You can't do the same upper body every day. It restricts muscle growth as you need rest, also if you are able to do upper body every day it probably means you aren't pushing yourself to the point in which muscle growth could occur. If you don't like doing legs mix it up even if you go to the gym 5 days a week. Split it up on different days do a bunch of bi and triceps one day then shoulders/back, etc.

BTW yesterday sucked for me at the gym. I was benching and the dude spotting for me couldn't flippin help me get the bar back up and my arms were dead. It was 7 in the morning so no one else was there other than on the cardio machines so I just had to roll that junk off my chest onto my abs and over my crotch to roll it over. Hurt like hell.

Brent
01-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I just had to roll that junk off my chest onto my abs and over my crotch to roll it over. Hurt like hell.
That's why you ask an employee to spot you, they should always have a guy on staff that is strong enough to aide you.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-19-2009, 02:02 PM
That's why you ask an employee to spot you, they should always have a guy on staff that is strong enough to aide you.

I go to the GMU off campus Gym and there is one employee who sits at the entrance on the upper level where the cardio machines are. I wouldn't have 315 on the bar if I didn't think the dude could spot for me he was all cut and all but I guess he was just a pretty boy.

Malaka
01-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Damn, after reading these posts I should start working my lower body then, I usually do one day chest one day arms, both days abs, and almost never lower body... from now on I am going to do one day chest, one day arms/shoulders/back, one day legs, and everyday abs. Since the last time I have talked about working out I have gained around 10 pounds, 6'0 158 last time I checked.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Chicken legs aren't a good look.

Malaka
01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Chicken legs aren't a good look.

Yeah, I should definitely work on my legs... I believe I have chicken legs.

Brent
01-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I should definitely work on my legs... I believe I have chicken legs.
Your upper body will stop getting bigger if your lower body doesnt match. I dont know at what point it will stop, it depends on the person. Regardless, if you strengthen your lower body and core, you will see improvements in all areas.

Malaka
01-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Your upper body will stop getting bigger if your lower body doesnt match. I dont know at what point it will stop, it depends on the person. Regardless, if you strengthen your lower body and core, you will see improvements in all areas.

I am definitely going to take a more balanced approach, but I hate doing lower body because I am afraid of stunting my growth so I never squat, though I should for football...

FuzzyGopher
01-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Doing lower body exercises is not just for proportion. Squats work something like 20+ muscles including abs and back. They should be the foundation of any weightlifting program along with deadlifts. And Brent is right, if your not taking in a caloric surplus you won't be looking like a freak anytime soon.

Brent
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
I am afraid of stunting my growth so I never squat, though I should for football...
I don't buy into that whole stunting your growth stuff. Maybe I'm wrong but I am as tall as my father and I can assure you that I lifted more over my lifetime than he did.

if your not taking in a caloric surplus you won't be looking like a freak anytime soon.
It's why I havent become huge, I have a low caloric intake.

Malaka
01-19-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't buy into that whole stunting your growth stuff. Maybe I'm wrong but I am as tall as my father and I can assure you that I lifted more over my lifetime than he did.

Well I am already taller than my father, but he was a soccer player, so he did more conditioning than weightlifting. I am 6'0 and my dad is 5'9/5'10.

EDIT: I am guessing a caloric surplus, is a very high calorie diet?

I do not want to look like a freak, girls like me the way I am, I just want to be stronger for football.

Sniper
01-19-2009, 02:26 PM
I am definitely going to take a more balanced approach, but I hate doing lower body because I am afraid of stunting my growth so I never squat, though I should for football...

Can we stop with these urban myths please? Thanks.

FuzzyGopher
01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=

EDIT: I am guessing a caloric surplus, is a very high calorie diet?

I do not want to look like a freak, girls like me the way I am, I just want to be stronger for football.[/QUOTE]

Yes, i eat 4k calories and 300 grams of protein a day, the average person eats around 2k calories. And you still need a good clean diet if you want to be lean and have some muscle. I would focus on compound lifts like squats, flat bench, barbell rows, deadlifts, and military presses and just keep adding as much weight as possible. You will not get massive without eating a lot and you will get strong as ****.

Malaka
01-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Can we stop with these urban myths please? Thanks.

Lol, it is embedded into my brain I have heard it since I was little, I guess I should forget about it. It is hard though, I want to be like 6'2/6'3

AlexDown
01-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Yes, i eat 4k calories and 300 grams of protein a day, the average person eats around 2k calories. And you still need a good clean diet if you want to be lean and have some muscle. I would focus on compound lifts like squats, flat bench, barbell rows, deadlifts, and military presses and just keep adding as much weight as possible. You will not get massive without eating a lot and you will get strong as ****.

No offense, but I don't believe you are getting 300 grams of protein a day. I have 2 protein / calorie shakes a day and I don't get anywhere close to that. Maybe half of that. Rule of thumb from what I understand depending on your goals, 1g per lb is what you should be getting.

Malaka
01-19-2009, 02:32 PM
No offense, but I don't believe you are getting 300 grams of protein a day. I have 2 protein / calorie shakes a day and I don't get anywhere close to that. Maybe half of that. Rule of thumb from what I understand depending on your goals, 1g per lb is what you should be getting.

How much protein is in one of those big cartons of muscle milk? that + one or two 20 gram protein bars, and w/e protein I eat from normal foods, is what I am getting in protein everyday.

Sniper
01-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Lol, it is embedded into my brain I have heard it since I was little, I guess I should forget about it. It is hard though, I want to be like 6'2/6'3

You becoming 6'2"/6'3" is going to be because of genetics, not squats. If it's meant to be, you'll end up at that height. If not, tough ****. For Christ's sake, go squat. And then deadlift. And after that, power clean. Do it until your legs fall off. Then watch the increase in speed and power. Do weighted sprints too.

AlexDown
01-19-2009, 02:35 PM
How much protein is in one of those big cartons of muscle milk? that + one or two 20 gram protein bars, and w/e protein I eat from normal foods, is what I am getting in protein everyday.

I'm not sure, I don't use muscle milk. It should say on the label.

Brent
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Do weighted sprints too.
If he does 100m sprints with a running parachute on, he'll get so ridiculously fast.

MetSox17
01-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Calm down Joey Galloway.

FuzzyGopher
01-19-2009, 02:39 PM

I tried to copy my diet from fitday.com into here but it was to hard to read. But here is a part of it.

Egg, white, dried
Drink mix, QUAKER OATS, GATORADE, lemon-lime flavor, powder
Cereals, QUAKER, Quick Oats, Dry
Milk, nonfat, fluid, without added vitamin A (fat free or sk...
Protein powder
White potato, baked, peel eaten
Cheese, Cheddar or American type, dry, grated
Beef, round, top round, separable lean only, trimmed to 1/4"... 16oz.
Pancakes, whole wheat
Snacks, granola bars, hard, peanut butter
Rice, brown, cooked, instant
Chicken, breast 12oz
Cheese, cottage, with fruit
Peanut butter
French toast, prepared from recipe, made with low fat (2%) m...

Cals Fat (g) Carbs (g) Prot

3,757 144.9 286.1 329.1

Brent
01-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Yikes dude, my intake is probably 1500 calories at best. However, I am not trying to get bigger.

FuzzyGopher
01-19-2009, 02:48 PM
I try to bulk like crazy. I went from 5'10 135 to 5'10 195 in 2 years.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
You becoming 6'2"/6'3" is going to be because of genetics, not squats. If it's meant to be, you'll end up at that height. If not, tough ****. For Christ's sake, go squat. And then deadlift. And after that, power clean. Do it until your legs fall off. Then watch the increase in speed and power. Do weighted sprints too.

I hate the hell out of power cleans.

Brent
01-19-2009, 02:50 PM
I try to bulk like crazy. I went from 5'10 135 to 5'10 195 in 2 years.
Wow, I was 150 in HS and now I'm 160. Though, about 2 years ago I bulked up to 175 before I realized that my clothes were starting to not fit.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I tried to copy my diet from fitday.com into here but it was to hard to read. But here is a part of it.

Egg, white, dried
Drink mix, QUAKER OATS, GATORADE, lemon-lime flavor, powder
Cereals, QUAKER, Quick Oats, Dry
Milk, nonfat, fluid, without added vitamin A (fat free or sk...
Protein powder
White potato, baked, peel eaten
Cheese, Cheddar or American type, dry, grated
Beef, round, top round, separable lean only, trimmed to 1/4"... 16oz.
Pancakes, whole wheat
Snacks, granola bars, hard, peanut butter
Rice, brown, cooked, instant
Chicken, breast 12oz
Cheese, cottage, with fruit
Peanut butter
French toast, prepared from recipe, made with low fat (2%) m...

Cals Fat (g) Carbs (g) Prot

3,757 144.9 286.1 329.1

You food expenses must be crazy.

Brent
01-19-2009, 02:59 PM
That's what I was thinking.

FuzzyGopher
01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
About 125 a week, and i only eat that much for winter bulking not year round. I'll cut back around march and do some cardio to lean out a bit for summertime.

'cuse-213
01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
If he does 100m sprints with a running parachute on, he'll get so ridiculously fast.

Agreed, awesome workout.

'cuse-213
01-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Damn, after reading these posts I should start working my lower body then, I usually do one day chest one day arms, both days abs, and almost never lower body... from now on I am going to do one day chest, one day arms/shoulders/back, one day legs, and everyday abs. Since the last time I have talked about working out I have gained around 10 pounds, 6'0 158 last time I checked.

A young football player like you.. Lower body is everyyything.

LonghornsLegend
01-19-2009, 04:44 PM

Yea it gets way too expensive trying to buy food and keep up with those diets, I get a meal plan on my campus and just eat 3 balanced meals a day, mix in a shake or 2 in between and a late turkey sandwich or peanut butter & Jelly before I go to bed.

I found you don't have to be as specific, just eat balanced meals with vegetables and meats, and take in more calories then you can burn.

Anyone looking to gain weight in abundance, goodle "Serious Mass" protein and order it online, it's cheaper then almost all of the well known proteins as the biggest bag is maybe 24$ and it last a few months...1200+ calories per serving, doubt you can find more then that.

scottyboy
01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure what I should be doing. After school every monday, wednesday and friday I stay at my school's gym which is ok. do for arms mainly dumbbell press, shoulder press and bench as well as some tricep excercises. I play D for lacrosse so my tri's are very important. Coach told me I need to "lay off the creampuffs and hit the track" (I'm 6'2 190...) so I gotta hit up the conditioning too.

I need to do core stuff, mainly doing incline/weighted situps. And really, the only thing for conditioning is running. any foods I should stray away from and some I should look into more(filling stuff I can burn off etc). any help is awesome style

Bosanac01
01-19-2009, 05:15 PM
im back to working out 5 days a week. I do a lot of power lifting, like 80-90% with less repetitions. Also doing some agility work, doing good so far, im loving it.

FuzzyGopher
01-19-2009, 05:33 PM
I would highly recommend this site for any athlete or anyone he is looking for a good workout routine. It is tried and true and if you stick with it you will see great results. I have been on it for 7 weeks and I am seeing great strength gains.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm