PDA

View Full Version : What NFL offenses suit Chris Beanie Wells style of running?

T.Smith
08-06-2008, 05:40 PM
What teams will be willing to draft Beanie Wells? Obviously he is made for the power running game and he isn't going to be a Brian Westbrook type of player. He is a player who you focus your offense around imo. I can see Cleveland as a a good fit offensively for him. Will the fact that he isn't a big catch out of the backfield type of player hurt his draft stock?

Paranoidmoonduck
08-06-2008, 05:43 PM
I do think that an utter lack of experience in the passing game will hurt Wells. It was one of the main knocks against Adrian Peterson, but Peterson looked like Marshall Faulk compared to Wells. That said, most teams acknowledge that you need to have at least two backs on your team who can hurt defenses, and Wells is good enough with the ball in his hand that someone will definitely draft him high.

TACKLE
08-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Beanie is one of the best pure tailbacks to come around in a while. He is probably best suited for a more traditional I-formation offense much like the one he plays in at OSU. Teams like Atlanta, Arizona, Chicago, Cincinnati and the New York Jets along with Cleveland would all be good fits.

eaglesfan_45
08-06-2008, 05:51 PM
the kind that run alot.

yo123
08-06-2008, 06:08 PM
He would be an absolute monster in Cleveland running in that system and behind that line.

eaglesfan_45
08-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Maybe, he can lose alot of weight and then move to WR to help him learn to catch and then have him gain alot of weight and move him to RB again and then badda bing, he'll know how to catch and he will be the best RB in the NFL!!!!!!!!!

Shane P. Hallam
08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
I was going to say the Jets and Browns would be good fits, but that has already been done!

LonghornsLegend
08-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Cleveland would have to trade up more then likely, I don't see them losing enough games to be in the bottom 15 and they will at least need to be in that range.

brat316
08-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Maybe Arizona, Texans, also any team that has a speed back that needs a compliment back.

Shane P. Hallam
08-06-2008, 06:36 PM
He doesn't really fit well with those systems though.

And Longhorns, that's what everyone said about half the teams in the Top 15 this year, lol.

And Beanie could fall fall hard. Injury, etc, you never know.

T.Smith
08-06-2008, 06:45 PM
I do think Beanie is going to be catching out of the backfield more this year so that should help him, he does have great hands though(he had a beautiful one handed catch his freshmen year) he just doesn't have a ton of experience.
Im going to throw the Atlanta Falcons, say turner completly duds what are the chances they try to pick a back like Beanie up? this is just hypothetical.

Shane P. Hallam
08-06-2008, 06:47 PM
If Turner completely blows it, it is still doubtful due to money, but it could fit.

Crickett
08-06-2008, 06:52 PM
the kind that run alot.

So, Tennessee then?

brat316
08-06-2008, 07:01 PM
What about the Saints, Deuce is on his last legs and Reggie is not a RB more of a WR.

Shane P. Hallam
08-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Depends how Pierre Thomas does. He should be getting plenty of touches.

BeerBaron
08-06-2008, 07:06 PM
What about the Saints, Deuce is on his last legs and Reggie is not a RB more of a WR.

With Beanie to smash defenses, that would let Reggie do what works best for him and move all around to slash...

Beanie in a Cleveland uni would be pretty sick though. Especially if they do well next year. Hear me out on this.

Say DA keeps developing well and that offense is clicking. Behind a talented o-line throwing to Edwards, Stallworth and Winslow....has the potential to be very good.

So lets say it happens and Cleveland fights through their rough schedule and makes some noise in the AFC. They make the playoffs, maybe get picked off by NE, Indy or SD and then the draft rolls around. Beanie gets picked apart by scouts and his stock drops a little, maybe somewhere in the area that Steven Jackson's did when he was in the draft.

Cleveland doesn't have to trade up very far and bam, they get a powerful runner the home state college. Its a position where rookies can make a big impact right away and he can help phase out Jamal Lewis.........

But idk, interesting to think about, lol

keylime_5
08-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Cleveland will be thinking about drafting a RB in the first round next year from what Savage has let on, but stop getting my freakin' hopes up, no way we pick that high! If they did get him I would cry.

BigJohn98
08-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Beanie would be a manchild in Jacksonville. Just saying.

StrongSide97
08-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I say he ends up either in a Jets or Texans uniform by next season, of course if he were to declare.

The best fit for him would be either Cleveland(offensive set, plus he is from Akron) or Chicago.

JT Jag
08-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Beanie would be a manchild in Jacksonville. Just saying.My god, Beanie lining up behind Greg Jones with David Garrard taking the snap... it's like three fullbacks in a row!

ATLDirtyBirds
08-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I do think Beanie is going to be catching out of the backfield more this year so that should help him, he does have great hands though(he had a beautiful one handed catch his freshmen year) he just doesn't have a ton of experience.
Im going to throw the Atlanta Falcons, say turner completly duds what are the chances they try to pick a back like Beanie up? this is just hypothetical.

No, we'd move on elsewhere at a different position I'd think. Plus, it's going to be tough for Turner to dud, barring an injury. Might he not be all that great as a starter and be making too much money? Yes, that's realistic. However, he's proven he can be good, even if he doesn't see a tremendous amount of touches. So I'd think if he can't handle it, we'd move much more into a 50-50 combo with him and Norwood.

bored of education
08-06-2008, 10:16 PM
He could be successful anywhere. he has strength, vision, speed and other awesome things. He will be great anywhere.

MidwayMonster31
08-06-2008, 10:23 PM
I think that he will end up with the Jets. Running behind Faneca, Ferguson and Mangold will make him a productive runningback right away.
Although, if he was in Houston, he would kill in that system. He can cutback into the open lanes and smash any defender who gets in his way.
The worst fit for him would be Philly. He doesn't offer much as a blocker or a receiver from the backfield. That scheme also doesn't use inside running as much as other schemes.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
08-06-2008, 10:54 PM
put him in denver, anyone can do it in denver.

CJSchneider
08-06-2008, 11:02 PM
My god, Beanie lining up behind Greg Jones with David Garrard taking the snap... it's like three fullbacks in a row!

True, but I see Jacksonville being no where close to the position they would need to be in order to get him without selling the farm to do it.

Staubach12
08-06-2008, 11:08 PM
He belongs in a vanilla traditional offense that pounds the ball.

BeerBaron
08-06-2008, 11:24 PM
True, but I see Jacksonville being no where close to the position they would need to be in order to get him without selling the farm to do it.

They didn't actually have to sell all that much to move up from the 20's into the top 10 last year to trade up.

Plus I think theres a better chance that a tradition, between the tackles runner slides on draft day than backs who have home run potential like McFadden, AP, and Bush of recent years. I think Wells will slide a little like Steven Jackson did that year during the draft. Teams might not want to invest a real high pick in a guy who will pick up yards between the tackles. Guys like that can be had easily in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (or even later)

Unbiased
08-06-2008, 11:26 PM
So, Tennessee then?

I doubt he lasts until the 2nd round.

kalbears13
08-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Let's just say I would need multiple undergarments on if he was drafted by the Browns. This is a lot like what I did when the Browns drafted Brady Quinn.

08-07-2008, 12:56 AM
In all reality I think Beanie would be a solid fit in Arizona's system now with Whisenhunt's continuous emphasis on the run game there. His running style seems to emulate one Whisenhunt would liken to as well. Not to mention they could be a team selecting in the top half of the draft and high enough to nab the OSU RB.

d34ng3l021
08-07-2008, 03:25 AM
I would say any, but I am a huge fan of Wells right now. I think his vision is extraordinary and that kind of attribute goes well with any system. I am not too sure on his acceleration, but it should be good enough to be in a ZBS.

Race for the Heisman
08-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Tennessee was my first thought based purely on system. Chicago is another nice fit. I'd love to have Wells in Chicago, even if it meant another year with Orton and/or Grossman. But to be totally honest, the only places Wells might not work are places that are depending on him to catch as a crucial part of the offense (New Orleans maybe, Philadelphia, Seattle), but I still think he would be fine in those places as well.

Gay Ork Wang
08-07-2008, 07:13 AM
So, Tennessee then?
The titans sure love to draft RBs.

OzTitan
08-07-2008, 08:05 AM
The titans sure love to draft RBs.

THEY SURE DO MAX!!!!

*awkward stare*

Flyboy
08-07-2008, 02:11 PM

I believe in the PTC & RB25 connection regardless of Deuce.

D-Unit
08-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't know if people say Cleveland just because they are Ohio homers, and like the idea of him staying in state in the NFL...

Some of the comments here are crazy... One of the best RBs to come around in a while??? Really? What are AD and DMAC chumps all of a sudden?

I think he'd fit well with in a Chiefs, Bears, Cardinals, or Jags system.

draftguru151
08-07-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't know if people say Cleveland just because they are Ohio homers, and like the idea of him staying in state in the NFL...

Some of the comments here are crazy... One of the best RBs to come around in a while??? Really? What are AD and DMAC chumps all of a sudden?

I think he'd fit well with in a Chiefs, Bears, Cardinals, or Jags system.

Probably has to do with the similarities to Lewis and the Browns offensive style.

And could one of the best not include 3 people?

TACKLE
08-07-2008, 02:54 PM

Well I said he was one of the best pure tailbacks to come into the league in a while. Obviouslly AD is an amazing tailback as well. But guys like Bush and McFadden and guys this year like Moreno and LeSean are smaller backs with speed who ran primarily in a zone blocking offense. Because of the spread option offense becoming so popular in college football, its becoming a lot harder to find those big backs who can carry the ball 25-30 times a game. And because of that, the 2-back system has become a trend. Those every-down RB's that can handle the full load and still be very effective.

bearfan
08-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Can he do the Kowshawn Spin? Until he masters that, look into the mid 2nd for him with all RBs mastering it to move ahead. Moreno ftw

D-Unit
08-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Well I said he was one of the best pure tailbacks to come into the league in a while. Obviouslly AD is an amazing tailback as well. But guys like Bush and McFadden and guys this year like Moreno and LeSean are smaller backs with speed who ran primarily in a zone blocking offense. Because of the spread option offense becoming so popular in college football, its becoming a lot harder to find those big backs who can carry the ball 25-30 times a game. And because of that, the 2-back system has become a trend. Those every-down RB's that can handle the full load and still be very effective.
I'd have to kindly disagree. I don't think the NFL is moving to a RBBC approach because it's hard to find bigger backs. I think there are several reasons...injury, keeping legs fresh, less risk, versatility, etc etc. It's not necessarily because of the lack of decent sized RBs. Look at Stewart in Carolina and Mendenhall in Pitt... 2 RBs that are more than capable of carrying the load, but don't because of the reasons I laid out.

Wells plays tough, but he's got a lot to prove this year, before I start calling him one of the best in a while. ...and no draftguru151, I don't even think he's #3 after AD and DMAC, so he's still not "one of the best in a while"... not in my book. Is he really Top 3 in the last 5 years in anyone's book?

Hines
08-07-2008, 04:38 PM
IF the Steelers didnt have Willie Parker or Mendenhall, I think he would fit well in that scheme of the past. A big bruiser, but had breakaway speed. Honestly, I like Beanie more then McFadden.

08-07-2008, 04:50 PM
IF the Steelers didnt have Willie Parker or Mendenhall, I think he would fit well in that scheme of the past. A big bruiser, but had breakaway speed. Honestly, I like Beanie more then McFadden.

Shame on you and the rest ignoring the greatness that is RUN DMC. :)

TankGiant
08-07-2008, 04:51 PM
I would say the NY Giants. Jacobs may not be resigned and his running style fits that offense as he can pound the ball up the gut or pull a nice cutback if need be.

Race for the Heisman
08-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Can he do the Kowshawn Spin? Until he masters that, look into the mid 2nd for him with all RBs mastering it to move ahead. Moreno ftw

So I understand that some of this, if not all of it, is sarcasm, at least I hope it is. Still, while not in the same vein of spin as Moreno's, his pirouette in the backfield against Michigan in 2006 was downright nasty.

bearfan
08-08-2008, 07:27 AM
So I understand that some of this, if not all of it, is sarcasm, at least I hope it is. Still, while not in the same vein of spin as Moreno's, his pirouette in the backfield against Michigan in 2006 was downright nasty.

If its not the Kowshawn spin, its nothing.

scottyboy
08-08-2008, 08:55 AM
If Jacobs and Ward both walk, he'd be a nice compliment to Bradshaw.

****, we shoulda traded up for Raymell... :(

Staubach12
08-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Thank you! He's being very overhyped on these forums.

scottyboy
08-08-2008, 06:12 PM

I agree, he's no AD, Rice or DMC, but as a compliment at the end of the first, he'd be a great pickup. That's why him on the G-men makes sense.

but yea, some of these comments are wack... dawg

princefielder28
08-08-2008, 07:03 PM

He is overhyped on the forums, but he will be a Top 5 or 10 pick. He's not in the same league as D-Mac or AD, but he is a very solid RB prospect and the best one between the junior and senior classes.

keylime_5
08-08-2008, 07:14 PM
He might not be "as good a prospect" as McFadden or Peterson but he'll be in the elite or near elite category. And remember - Bush was a better prospect than all of them and I don't think he's gonna do crap in the NFL except be a change of pace and all purpose guy (sorry Reggie, your game doesn't translate to the pros like AD, DMC, or Beanie's).

iloxygenil
08-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Beanie is one of the best pure tailbacks to come around in a while. He is probably best suited for a more traditional I-formation offense much like the one he plays in at OSU. Teams like Atlanta, Arizona, Chicago, Cincinnati and the New York Jets along with Cleveland would all be good fits.

Atlanta? Really? I mean I'd love to have the kid, but have you heard of Michael Turner or Jerious Norwood? We don't really have room on our roster right now for an additional tailback. Looks like we have a serious battle for our #3 spot already and those guys both are worthy of making the team.

Malaka
08-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Atlanta? Really? I mean I'd love to have the kid, but have you heard of Michael Turner or Jerious Norwood? We don't really have room on our roster right now for an additional tailback. Looks like we have a serious battle for our #3 spot already and those guys both are worthy of making the team.

He is probably just saying what teams he think would fit Beanie's running style, hence the thread, not what teams Beanie Wells will be drafted to. He is right because Chris Wells would fit well in Atlanta's system.

Texas Homer
08-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Beanie to the Texans !!!!

That would sit well with me. That kid is a tough old school power RB. He would fit in well with most NFL teams.

TACKLE
08-18-2008, 11:44 PM

I don't think they'll take him unless Turner gets seriously injured or plays horrible, neither which I think will happen. I just thought Beanie would be a good fit in Atlanta's offense.

BigJax
08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
I have seen this team mentioned a couple of times, but I think Beanie would be a PERFECT bears running back. A tough physical team that plays in the cold and relies on a good defense. I mean this really all depends on what Forte can do, but I think they may be in the market for a RB next year, and they may draft high enough to be in position.

TyronePoole38
08-20-2008, 12:22 PM

Cincy Arizona and Houston are all prob. the most likely destinations at this point.

illmatic74
08-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Cleveland will be thinking about drafting a RB in the first round next year from what Savage has let on, but stop getting my freakin' hopes up, no way we pick that high! If they did get him I would cry.Its a possiblity RBS fall in the draft alot.

Bengals78
08-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I think he is being overrated immensely on these boards. You get a lot of homerism blinding people. Would I be upset if Cincy drafted him? Depending on who else is available. If someone like Maualuga, Tyson Jackson or a top OT or C is available id say go for them over Wells. Wells would be useless if we can solidify our line.
I think he would fit nicely in Jacksonville with MJD or in Kansas City as the heir to LJ's spot.