PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy

Heisman
08-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Where does this guy look as a prospect? I know he has a pretty funky throwing style, but he has the best name ever. What round do you think he'll go in?

soybean
08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
probably late round, free agent.

Heisman
08-07-2008, 12:07 PM
fair enough. i haven't really watched him that much... is he just a bad qb in general?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
08-07-2008, 12:11 PM
he is short like 5-10 and he sucks.

Cigaro
08-07-2008, 12:40 PM
he is short like 5-10 and he sucks.

Or 6'3...

He had a sophomore slump, and that certainly dropped his stock. However if he can revert to his freshman playing style and stays until he graduates, he should go in the 2nd-3rd range, with a shot at 1st.

soybean
08-07-2008, 01:00 PM
it just doesn't seem like he has much confidence.

a shot at 1st is HIGHLY unlikely.

cdub11
08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
i would say mid to late round guy, he tried to force a lot of throws and the o-line didnt protect him very well last year

Bigburt63
08-07-2008, 01:04 PM
he still has 2 years to improve, a good junior yr, followed by a breakout-type senior year and he could possibly land in the 1st round. too early to really tell though.

soybean
08-07-2008, 01:05 PM
he still has 2 years to improve, a good junior yr, followed by a breakout-type senior year and he could possibly land in the 1st round. too early to really tell though.

yeah, but that's true for any quarterback.

bored of education
08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
He is fragile mentally and physically.

Bigburt63
08-07-2008, 01:11 PM
yeah, but that's true for any quarterback.

exactly, which is why its tought to predict where a sophmore QB is gonna be drafted...there are exceptions, like if a QB had been lighting it up since his days as a true frosh, or if he red shirted. He had a pretty good freshman yr, had alot more turnovers soph year, but if he can eliminate some of those turnovers and progress, he could be a 2-3rd prospect.

D-Unit
08-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Where does this guy look as a prospect? I know he has a pretty funky throwing style, but he has the best name ever. What round do you think he'll go in?
He has the second best name ever.. after Colt Brennan. LOL. JK.

I think McCoy is the 2nd best pro QB prospect in college football after Sam Bradford. ...and no I did not forget about Tim Tebow, Matt Stafford, or Chase Daniels.

Brent
08-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Or 6'3"
I think he is listed at that but I seriously doubt he's that tall. He looks like he's 6' or 6'1". I'd offer up my feelings on him but it would be seen as biased even if I did offer up a fair view.

foozball
08-07-2008, 07:39 PM
he's probably around 6'1 or 6'2. doesnt have a great arm. he's a pretty good athlete. good accuracy. usually poised in the pocket, but he can get rattled at times when theres consistent pressure. i think not having limas sweed really hurt him. texas WR's just arent up to par with the rest of the country IMO. i dont see him really projecting to get a whole lot better, but i think for the most part, he's a pretty solid guy. he's intelligent and he's got heart. i think if he has 2 good years, he's a 3rd rounder with possibility to move up to the 2nd if he measures out well.

khorn
08-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Mid round prospect. He is a legit 6'2", not 5'10", has adequate arm strength. Seems to lose his composure in pressure packed games/situations. Never really seemed to be the same after injuring his neck in that K-State game his freshman year. Losing Sweed early in the season last year hurt him a ton. This year doesnt look to be much better for him talent wise unless one of the young guys at WR really steps up.

Texas Homer
08-18-2008, 09:05 PM
He is NOT fragile mentally. He beat ou as a freshman and beat Nebraska on the road. He's Won both bowl games that he played in.

He's probably aroubd 6,1' 210.

He has had problems with injury. He's only a Jr. this season. He looks like in recent photo's that he has bulked up in the off season, so if he can show that he can stay healthy, then that will help.

McCoy needs to show better arm strength and make better decisions.

If McCoy can somehow add some extra arm strength, I think he will be a mid round QB. I think he will improve his decision making abilities in his Jr. and Sr. year.

EvilMonkey
10-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Always loved him, seems to have everything back on track this year. Yeah, they havent played anyone but he is playing awesome at the moment. I think he's a 1st rounder if he stays for his senior year, which he should, possibly a 2nd-3rd if he comes out. Just wondering if anyone's opinions on him have changed yet.

abaddon41_80
10-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Easily a 3rd or 4th rounder right now. Good size, good athleticism, solid arm strength, great accuracy. I would definitely rank him in the top 5 draft eligible QBs this year.

CC.SD
10-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't mean to hate but I just don't see him heading up an NFL offense right now, he needs some serious development. He's an average-to-below-average physical specimen and there are mental toughness questions as well. Maybe he can be tutored into success but as of right now I'm not very confident in him.

DiG
10-03-2008, 03:30 PM
He has the second best name ever.. after Colt Brennan. LOL. JK.

that is the truth.

i like colt a lot as a prospect as well. he's got a great passion for the game and throws a good ball. He is still young and will likely stick through his senior year. If he continues his success this year and builds on that next year I could see him being a very good looking NFL prospect that could crack the first round but should be no later than the second.

Babylon
10-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't mean to hate but I just don't see him heading up an NFL offense right now, he needs some serious development. He's an average-to-below-average physical specimen and there are mental toughness questions as well. Maybe he can be tutored into success but as of right now I'm not very confident in him.

That's how i see it although i havent seen enough to question his mental toughness so i'll leave that for others. NFL backup would be his best hope in my opinion.

Matthew Jones
10-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I'd draft him ahead of Stafford, I think. Don't quote me on that just yet, but based on what I've seen this year, he looks excellent. Then again, I despise Stafford as a prospect.

Sniper
10-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Chase Daniels.

Chase Daniel, not Daniels. But Stafford is a better pro prospect than McCoy.

Bruce Banner
10-03-2008, 04:28 PM
The only thing that impressed me about McCoy was his legs. He can run.

Buckrock101
10-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Doesn't have nearly the arm that guys like Freeman, Stafford, Bradford, Davis etc have. Not gonna see the first day.

LonghornsLegend
10-03-2008, 05:34 PM
He's on his way there, I love some things about his game and hate others...I have never liked the fact that once he got hit hard a few times, he seemed rattled the rest of the game...He would play like complete crap after a good lick or two, not something you want from your QB, I also questioned his leadership and toughness on more then one occasion.

But then again he's gained alot of weight and looks alot stronger and more confident then ever...I do know that he can be a solid to average NFL QB, he's a better prospect then Chris Simms so he is in that 3rd-4th rd range right now, but he is a very polished passer and has some speed to make plays if need be...He needs(and should more then likely) to stay for his Senior season and knock some of those doubts away, if I caught some of those things I'm sure scouts did, with that being said he's looked very much improved and typically for a guy who can run like him you take a drop off in passer quality but not with him.

He is a coaches son, and knows the game very well, I think at least he's a solid NFL backup but he's on his way to proving he can be a starter for somebody, still unless he has 2 stellar seasons to close his chapter at Texas to me he's a 2nd rounder at best, but I'm always tough on him because he reminds me so much of Chris Simms when he was at UT(not a good thing)...Play well in the cupcake games, fold like a lawnchair in big games, that pretty much summed up Simms career here, Colt needs to step up in some big games if he wants to be considered a 1st rounder.

MetSox17
10-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't be that harsh on Colt, LL. He has performed very well in his two Bowl games (both wins) and against Oklahoma as well. These next two weeks will be a huge test for him, playing OU and Mizzou in back to back weeks.

In my opinion, he's one of the top quarterbacks in the country, despite the slightly gimmicky offense. His arm strength is more than adequate, he has a very nice zip on out routes and middle to deep post routes. He throws the ball on a rope, and honestly, arm strength isn't an issue at all, despite common perception of him. He is in now way undersized in terms of height, he's a very solid 6'2 and is gaining a lot of weight as well. People are knocking him for his injuries, but this guy was a frail little kid going into Texas. He got rattled early on in his career at times, but that was because he constantly took some ridiculous hits trying to make plays. Which leads me to my next point; he's a straight up playmaker. No doubt about it. He doesn't have a Mark Sanchez-type arm, but he makes all the throws that are asked of him, and he throws great on the run as well. He has proved this year that he has a very nice set of wheels as well.

In my very honest opinion, he's kind of a mix between Philip Rivers and Tony Romo. The great pocket awareness and playmaking ability of Romo, added to Rivers' arm delivery and strength. This guy is a leader, and his team is always behind him. He's easily a second/third rounder, RIGHT NOW.

SenorGato
10-07-2008, 12:23 AM
He's a good QB prospect...a little like Erik Ainge from last year in the sense that he's an experienced, productive college QB that isn't elite but has the physical tools to be successful in the NFL.

Time'll tell...he's interesting though.

foozball
10-07-2008, 01:14 AM
size really isnt an issue with him. has average NFL arm strength, maybe a tad better. he's mobile. he's always been an accurate passer. he's tougher than people are giving him. he's intelligent and knows how to be a QB.

he doesnt have great physical tools or any one thing that makes you think he'll be a great QB in the nfl, but you hate to doubt the guy because he doesnt really have any glaring weaknesses either. i think he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder and most likely a backup who could be a starter when theres an injury and then cause a QB controversy.

i think it all hinges on his measurables. if he measures out at 6'3 215lbs or so and scouts grade his arm strength as average to a tick above average, i think he could be a 2nd rounder. if he measures 6'1-6'2 210lbs with below average to average arm strength, he's a 4rd-6th rounder.

NDfootball
10-07-2008, 01:39 AM
Colt McCoy is the perfect college QB. He's accurate, he runs the ball well, and he's a good decision maker. Adding some bulk in the off-season definitely helped him a lot, I think nagging injuries were more the problem than mental toughness.

I just don't see his game translating very well to the NFL though. He has an average arm, a little on the short side, and a little bit of a quirky delivery. I think his intangibles and the fact he's a winner at a major program gets him drafted, but I don't see him ever developing into a full-time starter. 5th-6th round pick IMO.

LonghornsLegend
10-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't be that harsh on Colt, LL. He has performed very well in his two Bowl games (both wins) and against Oklahoma as well. These next two weeks will be a huge test for him, playing OU and Mizzou in back to back weeks.

In my opinion, he's one of the top quarterbacks in the country, despite the slightly gimmicky offense. His arm strength is more than adequate, he has a very nice zip on out routes and middle to deep post routes. He throws the ball on a rope, and honestly, arm strength isn't an issue at all, despite common perception of him. He is in now way undersized in terms of height, he's a very solid 6'2 and is gaining a lot of weight as well. People are knocking him for his injuries, but this guy was a frail little kid going into Texas. He got rattled early on in his career at times, but that was because he constantly took some ridiculous hits trying to make plays. Which leads me to my next point; he's a straight up playmaker. No doubt about it. He doesn't have a Mark Sanchez-type arm, but he makes all the throws that are asked of him, and he throws great on the run as well. He has proved this year that he has a very nice set of wheels as well.

In my very honest opinion, he's kind of a mix between Philip Rivers and Tony Romo. The great pocket awareness and playmaking ability of Romo, added to Rivers' arm delivery and strength. This guy is a leader, and his team is always behind him. He's easily a second/third rounder, RIGHT NOW.

I am very harsh on him, because he's always looked scared and lost in the big games previously in big games just like Chris Simms, he looks awesome vs easy teams but he hasn't carried us in the huge games...Now he has a chance to make me change that perception about him in the next month and thats what I'm excited about, when OU starts hitting him and he can get up and go out and lead us down the field I'll know he's on his way...But if he folds and starts playing scared next week I magnify that alot more then the way he plays vs the softies on the schedule.

D-Unit
10-07-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't get why people don't see an NFL caliber QB in Colt. I think he's a Top 10 pick if he declares. ...and I wouldn't put it past him to be the #1 overall pick. He's got it all.... Size, accuracy, mobility, smarts and QB moxie.

Turtlepower
10-07-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't get why people don't see an NFL caliber QB in Colt. I think he's a Top 10 pick if he declares. ...and I wouldn't put it past him to be the #1 overall pick. He's got it all.... Size, accuracy, mobility, smarts and QB moxie.

And his name is amazing for any team's marketing department.

Babylon
10-07-2008, 02:14 PM

Are you serious?

illmatic74
10-07-2008, 03:12 PM
3rd-4th round

D-Unit
10-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Are you serious?
Yeah I'm serious. He's the #1 QB prospect in college football right now. I used to think that title belonged to Bradford, but McCoy has won me over. Bradford seems just a tiny bit too mechanical/robotic for my preference.

Babylon
10-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah I'm serious. He's the #1 QB prospect in college football right now. I used to think that title belonged to Bradford, but McCoy has won me over. Bradford seems just a tiny bit too mechanical/robotic for my preference.

It will be interesting to watch the Texas-OU game to see those two match up.

D-Unit
10-07-2008, 03:29 PM
The biggest knock I could see scouts knock him for is his arm strength. They go nuts over guys with arm strength... ie. Russell, Flacco, Boller... To the point where they get overrated.

Arm strength doesn't indicate to me how good a QB is. A guy can gain strength... it's the other intangibles that can't be taught.

So even though I personally think McCoy is the best of the bunch, I'm not saying the NFL will see him in the same light. I think he's worthy of being the #1 overall pick to a team looking for a QB, but I can't say that will be the case. Basically, it won't surprise me either way.

D-Unit
10-07-2008, 03:30 PM
It will be interesting to watch the Texas-OU game to see those two match up.
Well OU has the better OL, running game and WRs... so I'd expect OU to win logically. But McCoy could pull this thing off just off his pure will.

Babylon
10-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Well OU has the better OL, running game and WRs... so I'd expect OU to win logically. But McCoy could pull this thing off just off his pure will.

For me the storyline is Texas's DEs and can they get to Bradford. On the other side we'll see what McCoy can do against a top flight D, playing cupcakes doesnt show much for a lot of these guys.

LonghornsLegend
10-07-2008, 05:37 PM
The biggest knock I could see scouts knock him for is his arm strength. They go nuts over guys with arm strength... ie. Russell, Flacco, Boller... To the point where they get overrated.

Arm strength doesn't indicate to me how good a QB is. A guy can gain strength... it's the other intangibles that can't be taught.

So even though I personally think McCoy is the best of the bunch, I'm not saying the NFL will see him in the same light. I think he's worthy of being the #1 overall pick to a team looking for a QB, but I can't say that will be the case. Basically, it won't surprise me either way.

His progression that he has made is what is the most impressive, with that being said he's looked scared and timid at times last year in games after he was hit a few times and it showed...TCU was one game, Kstate was another, he has shown me everything I wanted to see in years past except for that killer instinct in which he can carry his team.

That's what I'm looking for this year, he's gained alot of weight, he has excellent speed for a pocket passer, high football IQ, all the tools are there, but he's got to show some of those intangibles you want from a franchise QB...His level of play should get better vs OU and Missouri and Tech, until he gets through that stretch and shows the toughness and that 'dagger in the heart' mentality he's not a top pick...Thats not to say he or Texas has to win those games, but he certainly needs to elevate his game and rally the team behind him.

Turtlepower
10-07-2008, 05:39 PM
If I was the Houston Texans I would draft him if he came out this year and fell to them in the 2nd. They have too many other problems to worry about drafting a QB in the 1st, but Colt would not only pay off in a couple years for the Texans, but he would also be a great marketing ploy for them.

Bruce Banner
10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
D-Unit, I am going to assume you're a Texas fan.

Babylon
10-07-2008, 05:55 PM
If I was the Houston Texans I would draft him if he came out this year and fell to them in the 2nd. They have too many other problems to worry about drafting a QB in the 1st, but Colt would not only pay off in a couple years for the Texans, but he would also be a great marketing ploy for them.

They've got guys like Colt McCoy running the team now, i think if they were looking for some big marketing ploy they trade for Vince Young. Having said that if the current trend continues they will be able to draft a QB at the top of rd1. I think the best marketing move is to win ball games

LonghornsLegend
10-07-2008, 05:56 PM

No I'm pretty sure he isn't, might be a Hawaii fan but I'm sure it's not Texas.

Bruce Banner
10-07-2008, 05:57 PM
No I'm pretty sure he isn't, might be a Hawaii fan but I'm sure it's not Texas.

Meh, that's why I assumed instead of calling him a homer. He had enough Texas connection to merit an assumption.

D-Unit
10-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Nope, not at all. I see some Jay Cutler in Colt McCoy. ...and people are treating him the same way. At this point in Cutler's college career, if someone were to call him a first rounder, that would've sounded like a homer comment.

RaiderNation
10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Combo of his arm and legs will get him drafted. I say somewhere from round 3-6 is where I would have him go. He is having a great season and if he keeps it up for this year and next year he might have a chance at a 2nd round pick or possibly late 1st.

Buc Baller12
10-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Nope, not at all. I see some Jay Cutler in Colt McCoy. ...and people are treating him the same way. At this point in Cutler's college career, if someone were to call him a first rounder, that would've sounded like a homer comment.

No Drew Brees comparison?

D-Unit
10-07-2008, 09:19 PM
No Drew Brees comparison?
No. Drew Brees is short and can't run like McCoy can.

ElectricEye
10-07-2008, 09:33 PM

Cutler minus the things that make him great, perhaps.

He has some tools to work with, that's for sure. Not franchise quarterback tools, but tools none the less. Everything you like to see, but he isn't a great thrower of the football. I still have serious doubts over how he would play in a pro-style offense. He's been deathly accurate going by completion percentage up to this point in his career, but I don't see NFL throws. The number one knock on Vince Young this early in his career has been his ability to read defenses. McCoy doesn't have Young's problem in that department, but until he proves otherwise, you have to hold that against him at least a bit. His best quality I've seen so far out of him is that if you give him a crack he'll take all he can get. Really plays hard. Gets rattled a bit too easily, but the added strength should help with that. He has a lot going for him, but I don't see a top round selection at all. If the draft were today and he was all declared up, I think he would be a late second, early third type guy. Reminds me a lot of Drew Stanton, minus a bit of the arm.

Texas Homer
10-12-2008, 04:13 PM
He looked like Joe Montana yesterday.

SenorGato
10-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Hm...still a better pro QB prospect than he's given credit for. Better arm than he's given credit for. Better leader than he's given credit for. Tougher than he's given credit for.

It's really early, but McCoy definitely has the upside to be a second round pick. Maybe even better...

Babylon
10-12-2008, 04:32 PM
He looked like Joe Montana yesterday.

Have to give you credit for not exaggerating much.

SuperKevin
10-12-2008, 05:00 PM
I see him declaring this year since he's losing his top targets on offense. I think he's drafted a lot higher than his talent dictates due to the weak senior class of QBs. Personally I'm not 100% sold on his ability to play at the next level due to his weird mechanics. It'd be one thing if he was 6'5" like Phillip Rivers is but McCoy is barely 6'3". He's going to need to go to a team that utilizes a lot of bootlegs and rollouts to avoid his passes being swatted at the line.

MarshawnLynch#??
10-12-2008, 05:04 PM
I was about to ask about his chances of declaring.

keylime_5
10-12-2008, 05:14 PM
he doesn't have the arm that teams will want in a first round QB and has a weird delivery and release. I don't think he'll go in the first round even at this high point, but that doesn't mean he won't go first day or that he won't eventually get a chance to start in the NFL. I like the way he has seemed to progress from his sophomore to junior years. He seemed like an interception machine last year, he's smarter with the football this year.

Babylon
10-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I see him declaring this year since he's losing his top targets on offense. I think he's drafted a lot higher than his talent dictates due to the weak senior class of QBs. Personally I'm not 100% sold on his ability to play at the next level due to his weird mechanics. It'd be one thing if he was 6'5" like Phillip Rivers is but McCoy is barely 6'3". He's going to need to go to a team that utilizes a lot of bootlegs and rollouts to avoid his passes being swatted at the line.

I think when you're talking a Texas or an Oklahoma it's not necessary to say a guy is losing his Wrs or his O-line because they reload at those schools and they're going to be sucessful. McCoy to me isnt going to be a high pick this year but could come on next year, i like his athletic ability more than anything else.

AntoinCD
10-12-2008, 06:15 PM
I always liked McCoy for Texas, now as that translates to the pros I'm not so high on him. I don't see him falling past the late 2nd/early 3rd due to the fact that many junior QBs wont declare.

STARHEATHER
10-12-2008, 06:44 PM
lets not get too excited. lots of warts on this frog. undersized, slow release, hitch in throwing motion. less than nfl caliber throwing arm. he may have helped his legend but he hasnt helped his chances of being a good qb at the nfl level

FuzzyGopher
10-12-2008, 07:39 PM
How is he undersized? He is 6'3 210 lbs. and could easily add 10-15 lbs. no problem. College players should never really be criticized for their weight because at their age with a diet change and a good training program they can add lean mass in a matter of months.

Babylon
10-12-2008, 07:55 PM
How is he undersized? He is 6'3 210 lbs. and could easily add 10-15 lbs. no problem. College players should never really be criticized for their weight because at their age with a diet change and a good training program they can add lean mass in a matter of months.

I dont see size a problem, sort of see some Aaron Rodgers in Colt.

LonghornsLegend
10-12-2008, 07:59 PM
I was about to ask about his chances of declaring.

I think it depends on how the season ends, if we win the Big XII and he wins the Heisman he probably leaves, I honestly see him returning unless he picks up a heap of awards and we win either the NC or a BCS bowl.

Gchu83
10-12-2008, 09:01 PM
I think it depends on how the season ends, if we win the Big XII and he wins the Heisman he probably leaves, I honestly see him returning unless he picks up a heap of awards and we win either the NC or a BCS bowl.

Really? I don't see Colt declaring no matter what happens this year. All but one player on the OL returns, TE Blaine Irby will hopefully be back, and Shipley actually has an option of using a medical redshirt for another year.

Also Colt just seems like the type of guy who would want to win as much as possible rather than leaving early for money.

SuperKevin
10-12-2008, 09:40 PM

Looking at him I think the team lists him very generously at 6'3" 210. I wouldn't be shocked if he was like 6'1.5" 200 lbs in reality.

TACKLE
10-12-2008, 10:20 PM
What do you guys think of this.

Colt McCoy = Tony Romo with a bit slower release

Babylon
10-12-2008, 10:55 PM
What do you guys think of this.

Colt McCoy = Tony Romo with a bit slower release

They're probably about the same size with similar arm strength. McCoy is faster. Romo gets all the babes........

Solomon
10-12-2008, 11:11 PM
I see him declaring this year since he's losing his top targets on offense.

He lost Sweed (I know Sweed didn't play much just mentioning him anyway), Finley and Charles from last year and has since progressed. Cosby and Shipley are decent prospects but they're hardly carrying McCoy right now. The Longhorns O-Line should be better next year, Irby should be back and give them a much needed TE and one of the young RBs or WRs (Kirkendoll, Brandon Collins, Malcolm Williams or Dan Buckner) will possibly emerge, I think if Colt sticks around the Longhorns offense will actually be better next year.

MitchRobStew
10-12-2008, 11:13 PM

Stafford is the closest prospect to Cutler in the draft. He has a similar arm, and can place the ball in very tight places. He also has some good mobility for bootlegs. I think he is best off staying for his senior season, but he easily has the best arm in the draft, and physical skill that translates similar to Cutler. McCoy just doesn't translate he doesn't have an arm that can stretch a defense, and has to wind up to make the deep throw. He has good mobility, but he size, and translation issue will keep him out of the first day of the draft.

jbsg02
10-13-2008, 01:44 AM
I'll start off by saying that I'm a huge Texas fan, but I don't think Colt is the kind of QB that scouts drool over. There's no way he is 6'3, he hasn't displayed the kind of arm that can make all of the throws, doesn't have a textbook motion. He is a smart kid that loves to play and compete though. I think a team might take him day 2 and let him sit a learn and earn a backup spot, at which point he may make some heads turn.

georgiafan
10-13-2008, 07:35 AM
Colt does look smaller then 6'3 like many others have said. Does anyone think Vince Young's struggles will hurt Colt just like Alex Smith's will likely hurt tebow?

Babylon
10-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Colt does look smaller then 6'3 like many others have said. Does anyone think Vince Young's struggles will hurt Colt just like Alex Smith's will likely hurt tebow?

Not really, Vince was more of an option guy who made his bones by running the ball on 3rd down to move the chains. McCoy to me is more of a drop back passer, he may struggle in certain areas but i dont think it will be because of VY.

MetSox17
10-13-2008, 11:34 AM
lets not get too excited. lots of warts on this frog. undersized, slow release, hitch in throwing motion. less than nfl caliber throwing arm. he may have helped his legend but he hasnt helped his chances of being a good qb at the nfl level

A countless number of players have debunked the whole "hitch in throwing motion" thing in the NFL. It's not as big a deal as some people make it out to be. And a slow release? Are you serious?

SuperKevin
10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
A countless number of players have debunked the whole "hitch in throwing motion" thing in the NFL. It's not as big a deal as some people make it out to be. And a slow release? Are you serious?

Yes but a lot of them have also been a little bigger to balance out the low throwing angle. It's one thing to throw 3/4s at 6'5" and another thing to do it at 6'2" He'll see a lot of passs deflected at the line.

MetSox17
10-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Yes but a lot of them have also been a little bigger to balance out the low throwing angle. It's one thing to throw 3/4s at 6'5" and another thing to do it at 6'2" He'll see a lot of passs deflected at the line.

If you play with a crappy line, your passes will get batted down whether you're 5'10 or 6'5. If he goes towards the bottom of the first - middle to bottom of the second, he'll have a chance to sit for a while and let the team develop a strong supporting cast around him. If he gets put in an opportunity to succeed, he will be very productive. If you throw him to the Lions, he'll be destroyed.

AntoinCD
10-13-2008, 05:31 PM

No way is he 6'3 and he already added 15 pounds this offseason. I don't know if any nfl team will invest a highish pick on a QB who needed to add nearly 30 pounds in 2 years

FuzzyGopher
10-13-2008, 09:42 PM
No way is he 6'3 and he already added 15 pounds this offseason. I don't know if any nfl team will invest a highish pick on a QB who needed to add nearly 30 pounds in 2 years

I don't know what his real height is, but my point was that a players weight is really a non factor unless their have a freakishly small frame.

foozball
10-13-2008, 10:28 PM

why not? dbrickashaw ferguson was like 245lbs his freshman year

MetSox17
10-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Lol that's one of the dumbest things i've ever heard. Three years ago Colt McCoy was eating plastic pizza in his HS cafeteria and going to prom. He was just a kid, of course he's gonna gain weight. Newsflash; Everyone gains weight once they hit college. 30 lbs is nothing.

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 12:14 PM
hes definitely undersize for todays nfl. i question his ability to fit the ball in tight spots, i question his ability to stretch the field vertically. i question his ability to stay healthy. i question his ability to stand in the pocket under duress and deliver, not get out on the move at the first sign of pressure. i question his ability to pass effectively in the more limioted space and higher pressure under center. i would say he compares to a rodgers except his throwing arm is nowhere near as good. and if a rodgers is the best youve got less a great throwing arm the gettin isnt going to be good at the nfl level. i still fully expect him to screw the pooch in o ne of these upcoming games possibly costing tx the national title. for the nfl level. pass pass pass. too many holes in his game. hell be a brodie croyle type at best and doesnt throw the ball as well as croyle. and thats not good enough

Sniper
10-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Lol that's one of the dumbest things i've ever heard. Three years ago Colt McCoy was eating plastic pizza in his HS cafeteria and going to prom. He was just a kid, of course he's gonna gain weight. Newsflash; Everyone gains weight once they hit college. 30 lbs is nothing.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie weighed a buck 55 heading into college. He's now 185. MetSox is right. 30 pounds is not unreasonable when you consider some people don't fully mature until age 20-21.

Texas Homer
10-16-2008, 12:28 AM
I think Colt goes in the 3rd round, sits on the bench for a few years and ends up having a good career in the NFL, a better version of Chad Pennington(imo).

Bruce Banner
10-16-2008, 12:57 AM
Wasn't Garrett Wolfe like 5'0 returning kicks in HS?