PDA

View Full Version : Madden '09

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Scott Wright
08-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Picked up my mail today and found a nice little surprise! :)

http://nfldraftcountdown.com/images/madden.jpg

eaglesfan_45
08-07-2008, 02:23 PM
yet again you tease us Scott! Why!?!

princefielder28
08-07-2008, 02:23 PM
probably from darnik

jballa838
08-07-2008, 02:30 PM
dang, you didn't get head coach too?

yourfavestoner
08-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Hopefully it's better than that trash of a football game they called NCAA 09.

xooberon
08-07-2008, 02:43 PM
any good scott?

bored of education
08-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Scott Wright was that what you wre supposed to send me ;). I was going to send you a box of golf balls, yet you dissappeared! Pro-V1s!

Xonraider
08-07-2008, 03:01 PM

Is this version of NCAA bad at all? I recall that in previous years NCAA has been better than Madden...

Dr. Gonzo
08-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Is this version of NCAA bad at all? I recall that in previous years NCAA has been better than Madden...

I personally really enjoy the new NCAA. I am eager to hear how this years Madden is as just from all I am hearing this may be the first year I don't buy it.

Xonraider
08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
I personally really enjoy the new NCAA. I am eager to hear how this years Madden is as just from all I am hearing this may be the first year I don't buy it.

What actually blows for me is that I have a Wii :S.... not enough cash to spare on PS3 or 360 and I'd rather travel than have a PS3.. Anyways I saw that in this years Wii version you can actually make a custom route as a hot route instead of just a select few...

Addict
08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
congrats scott, you lucky SOB!

I couldn't play it, still stuck playing on the PS2 due to having no cashflow... god it sucks!

LonghornsLegend
08-07-2008, 03:37 PM

You might be on your own with that, NCAA stepped it up quite a bit this year, and I don't think Madden will play as smooth...I love NCAA this year, the upgrades in gameplay they did are more then likely going to be more then what they took the time to do for Madden.

Scott can you clarify if Favre is actually on the game and with what team? Anyone have any idea how that will play out? I'm pretty sure you can download online rosters up to date, but if Favre wasn't on the game to begin with, not sure how that would work.

PACKmanN
08-07-2008, 03:39 PM
You might be on your own with that, NCAA stepped it up quite a bit this year, and I don't think Madden will play as smooth...I love NCAA this year, the upgrades in gameplay they did are more then likely going to be more then what they took the time to do for Madden.

Scott can you clarify if Favre is actually on the game and with what team? Anyone have any idea how that will play out? I'm pretty sure you can download online rosters up to date, but if Favre wasn't on the game to begin with, not sure how that would work.

I heard he a free agent, and I guess on the 12 they will have a roster update with him on the Jets. Or they will just create him like they have done with other players from the past and put him on the Jets, but I'm pretty sure he a free agent in the game or they wouldn't have shown pictures of him on Madden in different jerseys.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Scott, you are really starting to annoy me with this stuff. It just isn't fair. It is all i look forward to as the days pass.....sad, but true.

I didn't htink about it before, but Favre will really make playing as the Jets a whole lot easier in Madden, now i don't have to deal with flop armed Pennington (even though i played with Clemens mostly last year).

LonghornsLegend
08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
I heard he a free agent, and I guess on the 12 they will have a roster update with him on the Jets. Or they will just create him like they have done with other players from the past and put him on the Jets, but I'm pretty sure he a free agent in the game or they wouldn't have shown pictures of him on Madden in different jerseys.

Ok cool, I haven't seen any other pictures of him yet, I kind of figured he would be a Free Agent, I just didn't know if they had time to put him on the game since he just recently said he wanted to come back out and play, I wasn't sure if it was too late for the developers to add him to the main shipment.

smittyjs
08-07-2008, 03:56 PM
The ony thing that i like about this year ncca is the online dynasty, the rest sucks.

PackerLegend
08-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Awesome dude, your lucky... Hopefully it is good for a change but I doubt it.

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm disappointed they don't have madden for PC anymore.....was the only way I played it since I had 02 for the PS1.

I'm just not getting it this year. Maybe next year if I save money better during the summer I'll get a PS3 and Madden '10

but it looksl ike I miss out this year...

Bills2083
08-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Scott, I'm planning on buying the 360 soon, and I was wondering if you could tell me how Madden is on it.

Unbiased
08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Could you simulate a fantasy draft and tell me who goes in the first 10 picks or so?

scottyboy
08-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Scott, if you wanna win every game, the backfield of Rice/Leonard out of the I formation=ultimate unstoppable win!

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Scott, if you wanna win every game, the backfield of Rice/Leonard out of the I formation=ultimate unstoppable win!

Actually, he needs to wait one more year to complete the backfield with Mike Teel yes?

scottyboy
08-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Actually, he needs to wait one more year to complete the backfield with Mike Teel yes?

Just take Gararrd this year. He's used to handing it off and throwing just screen/short passes to the backs.

bulk up on D with like Osi, Girault, Brackett, and just dominate!

Scott Wright
08-07-2008, 04:48 PM
The sad thing is I haven't even played it yet and I probably won't get too many games in before next week anyway.

I am hard at work getting the site ready for the '09 re-launch. Still shooting for next Monday or Tuesday and I am going to start writing the mock draft analysis tonight.

scottyboy
08-07-2008, 04:50 PM
The sad thing is I haven't even played it yet and I probably won't get too many games in before next week anyway.

I am hard at work getting the site ready for the '09 re-launch. Still shooting for next Monday or Tuesday and I am going to start writing the mock draft analysis tonight.

Scott, everyone here will understand if you put off the site re-launch for a few days to break the single season rushing record in 3 games with Ray Rice

Gay Ork Wang
08-07-2008, 04:54 PM
1 game if he uses Devin at RB, God mode with Jordy

08-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Eh, don't forget Kenny Britt on the outside too !

Gay Ork Wang
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Just take Gararrd this year. He's used to handing it off and throwing just screen/short passes to the backs.

bulk up on D with like Osi, Girault, Brackett, and just dominate!
First thing Scotty does: He makes a fantasy draft and picks all giants + Leonard and Rice

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 04:59 PM
First thing Scotty does: He makes a fantasy draft and picks all giants + Leonard and Rice

whenever I play recently, I always seem to end up putting a lot of Rutgers players on the Giants....I don't even think I realize I'm doing it either. Scotty has just infiltrated my subconcious, heh

Xonraider
08-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Probably trades his entire draft for them...

NY+Giants=NYG
08-07-2008, 05:23 PM
I am getting the collectors edition with Head coach. Head Coach this year is supposed to be flat out sick!

BlindSite
08-07-2008, 05:53 PM
I might just get head coach, if the special edition is cheaper than 220 bucks ike the last dual game being sold then I'll trade in my old maddens for it.

TheBuffaloBills
08-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Hey Scott could you be a pal and tell me the first 10 draft picks are in your first season... Just list the position and overall.... Thanks

Will Rep.

Caddy
08-07-2008, 07:55 PM
I might just get head coach, if the special edition is cheaper than 220 bucks ike the last dual game being sold then I'll trade in my old maddens for it.

Are we getting the anniversary edition BS?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-07-2008, 08:00 PM

****! I forgot how much life sucks having to spend that much money on videogames in Australia. 220 bucks, you can find a 360 here for not much more than that.

Caddy
08-07-2008, 08:02 PM
****! I forgot how much life sucks having to spend that much money on videogames in Australia. 220 bucks, you can find a 360 here for not much more than that.

Yeah we get the short straw as far as video game prices are concerned. New release games generally have a RRP of $110 but if you go to the chain stores like Target, Big W, K-Mart etc you can get a lot of the good ones brand new for about $90.

It's definitely a *****, but you get used to it I guess.

etk
08-07-2008, 08:06 PM
I preordered the Special Edition :(

My boycott failed...the demo was so fun I just couldn't help myself. Strange that I'm getting Madden and not NCAA.

TheBuffaloBills
08-07-2008, 08:22 PM
I got the 20th anniversary for 90 bucks..... Head Coach looks pretty good.

LonghornsLegend
08-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Hey Scott could you be a pal and tell me the first 10 draft picks are in your first season... Just list the position and overall.... Thanks

Will Rep.

I can't tell if you guys are being serious or joking with these types of questions...I guess you missed the part about him barely getting to play the game at all with trying to re-launch the site?

brat316
08-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah we get the short straw as far as video game prices are concerned. New release games generally have a RRP of $110 but if you go to the chain stores like Target, Big W, K-Mart etc you can get a lot of the good ones brand new for about $90.

It's definitely a *****, but you get used to it I guess.

what if you order it from online same price?

Caddy
08-07-2008, 08:31 PM
what if you order it from online same price?

You can get a lot of games from online places but they have to be region free or PAL to work. I know a website which usually sells them for about $60 but I don't buy enough games to really have to worry about it to be honest.

TheBuffaloBills
08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I can't tell if you guys are being serious or joking with these types of questions...I guess you missed the part about him barely getting to play the game at all with trying to re-launch the site?

When he is not busy I mean..... Its just something I am very anxious to find out.

RaiderNation
08-07-2008, 08:46 PM
one question i have is are they going to chance the cover since favre isnt a packer?

TheBuffaloBills
08-07-2008, 08:48 PM
one question i have is are they going to chance the cover since favre isnt a packer?

No.... way too late...... Comes out monday at midnight

Canadian_kid16
08-07-2008, 09:07 PM
there are sites with custom covers coming out oftheir behind...google Madden 09 custom covers and you'll find a million of em if you wanna change it...

Caddy
08-07-2008, 09:25 PM
there are sites with custom covers coming out oftheir behind...google Madden 09 custom covers and you'll find a million of em if you wanna change it...

http://www.freewebs.com/customsportscovers/index.htm

Brent
08-07-2008, 10:45 PM
In last year's, if you traded or signed someone with a number that was already in use on your team, the computer would never assign them a new number and if you tried changing it, the player model's muscle slider would then move to the max and you couldnt fix it. That always drove me crazy, I wonder if that was corrected. Same would happen if you changed someone's equipment.

neko4
08-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Why is that an expensive video game like Madden has stupid little glitches like that one, its ridiculous

Dr. Gonzo
08-07-2008, 10:50 PM
In last year's, if you traded or signed someone with a number that was already in use on your team, the computer would never assign them a new number and if you tried changing it, the player model's muscle slider would then move to the max and you couldnt fix it. That always drove me crazy, I wonder if that was corrected. Same would happen if you changed someone's equipment.

Was that on the 360 version because I never remember having that problem?

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I didn't notice that but I did notice that on the PC, I think just about every single non o-lineman and QB had their muscles all to the max. That was annoying.....

bantx
08-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Im getting my copy of Madden 09 this saturday i will have pics too i cant wait

Brent
08-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Was that on the 360 version because I never remember having that problem?
Yeah, my roommate got it on 360 (I got it on PS3 this year). I just played it. Glad I didnt buy it. This year should be worth the investment.

awfullyquiet
08-08-2008, 12:15 AM
boring.

i cannot stand madden knowing that i can't grind the clock because they don't think it's 'realistic' enough to be in madden. or it's 'too hard'. i think EA is a lazy pile of ****. hell. you only have THREE. i repeat. THREE special team options for returning. and you have TWO backs returning. why is that? OH because they're lazy and don't want to program real special teams plays because it doesn't attract 'real' fans.

horse ****.

Brent
08-08-2008, 12:16 AM
boring.

i cannot stand madden knowing that i can't grind the clock because they don't think it's 'realistic' enough to be in madden. or it's 'too hard'. i think EA is a lazy pile of ****. hell. you only have THREE. i repeat. THREE special team options for returning. and you have TWO backs returning. why is that? OH because they're lazy and don't want to program real special teams plays because it doesn't attract 'real' fans.

horseshit.
Returning INTs for TDs in last years was so hilariously easy. Kicks were much harder. Dont forget there was the option for a "reverse" too.

awfullyquiet
08-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Returning INTs for TDs in last years was so hilariously easy. Kicks were much harder. Dont forget there was the option for a "reverse" too.

i personally would like to see random acts of god cause statistical averages to happen.

birds coming out of nowhere and being imploded by rex grossman fastballs.
earthquakes preventing the hail marys that always seem to work... (wouldn't that be ironic? instead of hail marys preventing earthquakes... the tables are turned trebek!)

Addict
08-08-2008, 04:24 AM
Sure, Madden sucks at a few things. But I'd still play it.

UKfan
08-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Anyone have any idea if HC is coming out in the UK? Would love to play it but can't seem to find it.

Caddy
08-08-2008, 05:56 AM
Anyone have any idea if HC is coming out in the UK? Would love to play it but can't seem to find it.

I'm having a similar problem determining if it comes out in Aus.

Addict
08-08-2008, 06:04 AM

I'm fairly sure it doesn't come out in continental europe. I don't know about the UK though.

xooberon
08-08-2008, 06:05 AM

if you've got a ps3, just get it from this site:

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=14362

region free ftw!

UKfan
08-08-2008, 06:05 AM
if you've got a ps3, just get it from this site:

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=14362

region free ftw!

I've got a 360 and PC, oh and Wii, but not PS3, argh!

At this rate I might have to invest in a PS3.

Caddy
08-08-2008, 06:06 AM
I've got a 360 and PC, oh and Wii, but not PS3, argh!

At this rate I might have to invest in a PS3.

Damn Xbox 360's and there area codes.

BlindSite
08-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Such a stupid thing.

TheBuffaloBills
08-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Give EA a break..... Sure it isnt the best, but their better than alot of games I have played...... Madden has the best engine out there.......Have you played All pro football..... God awful....

Canadian_kid16
08-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Give EA a break..... Sure it isnt the best, but their better than alot of games I have played...... Madden has the best engine out there.......Have you played All pro football..... God awful....

best engine out of one game with a lisence...what competition they have!

Backbreaker (or Euphoria or w/e it is) has a much better engine BTW, and they haven't even made their football game yet

Brent
08-08-2008, 10:34 AM
I dont even remember if this was in last years, but are they giving you the ability to make your own playbook this year? Not in the sense of drawing up plays but where you just go through all the formations in the game and choose which go into your book? That was something I loved about NCAA back on PS2. My playbook was perfect for my style of play.

TheBuffaloBills
08-08-2008, 10:51 AM
best engine out of one game with a lisence...what competition they have!

Backbreaker (or Euphoria or w/e it is) has a much better engine BTW, and they haven't even made their football game yet

Yeah I know backbreaker is pretty sweet and realistic, but TBH I really dont know how the running would be.... Who knows if its like your running a character made out of jello..... And I know how all the tackles are different, but it seemed like their body shakes too much which looks weird.... Its still cool though

TheBuffaloBills
08-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I dont even remember if this was in last years, but are they giving you the ability to make your own playbook this year? Not in the sense of drawing up plays but where you just go through all the formations in the game and choose which go into your book? That was something I loved about NCAA back on PS2. My playbook was perfect for my style of play.

I am almost certain.

awfullyquiet
08-08-2008, 11:00 AM

Why?

Why should I give them a break?

It's like watching Ang Lee's version of the hulk. a dumb down, watered version of the real thing.

Addict
08-08-2008, 12:23 PM
i never would've compared madden to the first hulk movie, but in thinking about it...

i just find it funny how many people ***** year after year about how crappy the gameplay is and yet still rush out to buy every new installment.

which is exactly why I don't complain about it. Sure there's points of critique, but it's not a bad game.

That's what annoys me about madden bashers, they're forgetting it's nothing more than a ******* videogame. Not a stimulator for crying out loud. It's the same thing with every sports game out there. The reality is sports is a very hard thing to get right, and it will take decades of devellopment in technology before there will be actually realistic games. Until then, I'm just surprised about how many people ***** and complain about the few mistakes a game makes when it comes to realism, it's a freakin' game. If it was realistic it would be impossibly hard to play, tedious and boring, the whole arcade aspect of makes it fun.

TheBuffaloBills
08-08-2008, 12:25 PM
i never would've compared madden to the first hulk movie, but in thinking about it...

i just find it funny how many people ***** year after year about how crappy the gameplay is and yet still rush out to buy every new installment.

Yeah really..... I mean C'mon.....I think that Madden could be a lot worse..... Besides why are we judging a game that isnt even out yet? And please dont say well its going to be exactly the same as last years..... Tell me when EA put out a game that is identical to the previous years.....There is always a worthwhile difference each year....

bored of education
08-08-2008, 12:41 PM
i think you both missed my point, but *shrug*

madden as a *game* has been godawful for several years running and, as of last season, was basically unplayable as far as i'm concerned. that said, rather than buy this year's immediately and then ***** about the same things being broken that i hated last year, i'm simply not going to buy it. but then, that line of thought doesn't seem to occur to a disturbingly large number of people.

njx, can we agree that this world is full of retards?

TheBuffaloBills
08-08-2008, 12:46 PM
njx, can we agree that this world is full of retards?

Boycott the game, but is it really going to make a lasting difference..... The ratio of Madden lovers to Madden haters is about 15:1

Madden has the license and it will continue to make many great games....

BTW what is the word that keeps getting bleeped?

Gay Ork Wang
08-08-2008, 01:03 PM
b word id say

TheBuffaloBills
08-08-2008, 01:10 PM
b word id say

Ahh I dont know why I didnt think of that. I was thinking of a worse word or something.

Canadian_kid16
08-08-2008, 01:18 PM
i think you both missed my point, but *shrug*

madden as a *game* has been godawful for several years running and, as of last season, was basically unplayable as far as i'm concerned. that said, rather than buy this year's immediately and then ***** about the same things being broken that i hated last year, i'm simply not going to buy it. but then, that line of thought doesn't seem to occur to a disturbingly large number of people.

I agree...especially after playing last years Maadden for a total of about 2 hours, I'm not even going to buy it this year, gunna bide my time and wait for HC to come out on its own, along with NHL 09

Hopefully more people will follow that trend in the near future, its somewhat false hope, but I still hope for it nonetheless.

awfullyquiet
08-08-2008, 01:21 PM

i watched it the other night. again. and was like. wtf. this blows. and felt the need to compare it to other ****** things i see.

that being said. i can't find a reason not to play madden 07 over madden 09 or 08 right now... and even that wasn't too good.

really, it BOGGLES my mind what type of UI and QA people they have running that joint. How they get away with this sort of lunacy never ever ever ever ever ever ever ceases to amaze me. or even the project managers seem to play the game so safely, but seem like they're doing so much. No game is going to be good, no matter the engine, the physics modeling, if they can't figure out how the damn game is played at this level. I mean, i do a lot of process modeling and program and solution creation... Unless they're purposely neglecting part of the audience and refusing to listen to the valid points of how the game should change...

now, maybe someone should start complaining to the NFL for creating an 'unrealistic representation of the sport'. and banish EA to a CFL license...

yourfavestoner
08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
australia guys: you should really just order a region hacker for your 360s. it'll save you a lot of money in the long run...

scottyboy
08-08-2008, 01:46 PM
While this game isn't great and has many flaws, it's still a football video game. It's for enjoyment, not to go and pick out every minor detail. It's about playing with your favorite players against your friends for bragging rights and possibly cash. It's fun because it's ******* football that you can partially control.

Am I a Madden lover? not at all. Am I a hater? no. I just play it for the enjoyment and won't be like: "ZOMGZ! I can't believe this guy iz only lyke a 97 speed. He ran a 4.10 at his proday in his rocket shoes. stupid EA! Yea, it sucks, but whatever. If EA can get away with putting out an inferior product, and make millions off of it, kudos to them, those bastids.

that being said, of course I'm gonna buy it for the thrill of re-uniting Raymell and Leonard <3

Matthew Jones
08-08-2008, 05:51 PM
My friend got me a copy of Madden for the 360 yesterday but I haven't had a chance to play it yet because my Xbox is getting fixed by one of my friends. Anyways, I should be able to play it tomorrow night, so if anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them. If you all want proof, I'll take a picture of me playing the game tomorrow, assuming my Xbox is fixed by then.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-08-2008, 06:00 PM
My friend got me a copy of Madden for the 360 yesterday but I haven't had a chance to play it yet because my Xbox is getting fixed by one of my friends. Anyways, I should be able to play it tomorrow night, so if anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them. If you all want proof, I'll take a picture of me playing the game tomorrow, assuming my Xbox is fixed by then.

how are people getting these early copies of the game?

Matthew Jones
08-08-2008, 06:00 PM
how are people getting these early copies of the game?

Some stores sell the game early to get a head start, I guess.

Bills2083
08-08-2008, 06:06 PM

I'm planning on buying the 360 and Madden at the same time, and I was wondering if you think Madden 09 is worth buying. I currently own a PS2 and I'm getting tired of Madden not upgrading that version.

bantx
08-08-2008, 06:12 PM
my friend works at Target and he works at electronics so he told me to go up there saturday to pick up my copy :]

Matthew Jones
08-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Why, is it a lot better?

They're about the same. Personal preference. Also, if Madden is like it has been the past three years, it's not really worth getting a system for. It's had some game-breaking (in my opinion) bugs and omissions and such the past few years, and NCAA has as well.

Bills2083
08-08-2008, 06:33 PM
They're about the same. Personal preference. Also, if Madden is like it has been the past three years, it's not really worth getting a system for. It's had some game-breaking (in my opinion) bugs and omissions and such the past few years, and NCAA has as well.

Well, I was planning on buying the 360 for a while, and I figured now's a good time to get it.
I dont know anything about the Madden gameplay on there, so, is there things such as gang tackling, and superstar mode?

LuCKy_JuNiOr
08-09-2008, 12:27 PM
After playing the demo, when it came out, I am extremely amped up for Madden 09 to come out.

PackerLegend
08-09-2008, 01:11 PM
After playing the demo, when it came out, I am extremely amped up for Madden 09 to come out.

Really??? I have been excited because Maddens awesome but usually it pretty poor. I thought the demo was pretty bad.

ChezPower4
08-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Nice!!! Can't wait to get my copy

Addict
08-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I owe Madden a dept of gratitude, it got me interested in football.

BamaFalcon59
08-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I hope it is as good as NCAA '09.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Alright, got the game, just took the Madden IQ test. I got All Madden rushing, All Pro passing, All Pro rush defense, and rookie pass defense. My IQ is 579. Anyone want me to take any pictures of a certain screen or something to prove I have it?

ATLDirtyBirds
08-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Alright, got the game, just took the Madden IQ test. I got All Madden rushing, All Pro passing, All Pro rush defense, and rookie pass defense. My IQ is 579. Anyone want me to take any pictures of a certain screen or something to prove I have it?

I really wouldn't care about pictures or anything. I'd just like to know things like how the gameplay is, franchise, draft, etc.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I really wouldn't care about pictures or anything. I'd just like to know things like how the gameplay is, franchise, draft, etc.

Alright. Anything specific, or just want me to give you my impressions as I play it?

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 02:58 PM
There are 34 Madden moments.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm gonna sim through a franchise season as the Pats and let you guys know how the offseason is and whatnot.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Alright. Anything specific, or just want me to give you my impressions as I play it?

Impressions. Maybe just how the franchise draft goes for specific things. That'd be great if you could do that.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-09-2008, 02:59 PM
ya, i'm not interested in someone proving that they have it, but i'd be interested to know your thoughts on new additions to gameplay, franchise mode, online (although i doubt you can do much since the game isn't out) and things of that nature.

i get the game on Tuesday, so if your lying i'll know then and just harass you endlessly.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Yeah, there really isn't much in terms of who's online. I did hear there's a roster update out today, though. So far, the franchise mode seems to be about the same. The interface, etc. is the same for sure. After preseason, you get the option to import a draft class, but I haven't gotten a chance to play my copy of NCAA yet, so I don't have that.

In franchise, there's a new (I think) thing called "Franchise Rivals." I'm the Pats, so it lists the Colts, Jets, and Dolphins, and what my record against them is. 42-26 against the Colts, etc., and when the last time I played them was (11/4/2007, won 24-20.) Pretty neat. I also think you can choose new rivals, but I'm not sure.

It seems like rookie scouting is the same as last year - you scout them through the season, each week picking new people, etc. Right now I'm in the midst of simulating a franchise because I think the worst thing about the last game was how bad the simulation engine was at producing realistic stats, so I'll type that up for you guys with some relevant stuff as soon as it's done.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:06 PM
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=AnonymousGamer

You can see me playing it with that.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Results from my regular season:

AFC North:

Ravens 10-6, Browns 10-6, Steelers 9-7, Bengals 4-12

AFC South:

Colts 10-6, Titans 9-7, Jaguars 8-8, Texas 7-9

AFC East:

Pats 14-2, Jets 10-6, Dolphins 6-10, Bills 3-13

AFC West:

Broncos 9-7, Chargers 9-7, Chiefs 8-8, Raiders 7-9

NFC North:

Vikings 8-8, Lions 8-8, Packers 4-12, Bears 2-13-1

NFC South:

Bucs 13-3, Falcons 7-9, Saints 6-9-1, Panthers 6-10

NFC East:

Cowboys 12-4, Eagles 10-6, Giants 9-7, Redskins 6-10

NFC West:

49ers 10-6, Cardinals 8-8, Seahawks 7-9, Rams 6-10

MVP - Jeff Garcia
Offensive Player - Garcia
Defensive Player - Zach Thomas
Rookie - Jonathan Stewart
Defensive Rookie - Aqib Talib

That stuff doesn't look too bad. Not that great, either, though.

Xonraider
08-09-2008, 03:11 PM
I like Madden because its a football game... and playing with my buddies and online is pretty fun for me. I really don't think its much of a terrible game as people say. I guess I'm a guy who is easy to please and sees the glass half full...

Xonraider
08-09-2008, 03:12 PM
AFC West:

Wow really!? Broncos winning the division is sad.

08-09-2008, 03:13 PM

AFC North:

Ravens 10-6, Browns 10-6, Steelers 9-7, Bengals 4-12

AFC South:

Colts 10-6, Titans 9-7, Jaguars 8-8, Texas 7-9

AFC East:

Pats 14-2, Jets 10-6, Dolphins 6-10, Bills 3-13

AFC West:

NFC North:

Vikings 8-8, Lions 8-8, Packers 4-12, Bears 2-13-1

NFC South:

Bucs 13-3, Falcons 7-9, Saints 6-9-1, Panthers 6-10

NFC East:

Cowboys 12-4, Eagles 10-6, Giants 9-7, Redskins 6-10

NFC West:

49ers 10-6, Cardinals 8-8, Seahawks 7-9, Rams 6-10

MVP - Jeff Garcia
Offensive Player - Garcia
Defensive Player - Zach Thomas
Rookie - Jonathan Stewart
Defensive Rookie - Aqib Talib

I've read on IGN that player stats are supposed to be realistic now in the sim engine. Is that the case? Can you post the top 5 passers and rushers?

08-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Wow really!? Broncos winning the division is sad.

Not as sad as your face.

bantx
08-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Im going to pick up my copy in about 2 hours

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:15 PM
League leaders:

Passing:

Rating - Brady (112.1)
Yards - Bulger (4103)
TD - Brady/Peyton (33)
INT - Tarvaris (22)

Unrealistic part in this is the completion percentage. Five passers reached 70% completion percentages, which is pretty unrealistic, as no one did last year. Eli Manning weirdly led the league with 72%.

Rushing:

Yards - Tomlinson (1570)
TD - Westbrook (15)
Attempts - Edge (312)

Receiving:

Receptions - Holt (93)
Yards - Holt (1208)
TD - Holt (13)

Blocking:

Jared Gaither allowed 19 sacks (lol)

Defense:

Tackles - Urlacher (126)
Sacks - Alfonso Boone(?) (15)
INT - Fakhir Brown/Revis/Madison (7)

So overall I'd say the sim engine is a lot better, even if some players (Eli, etc.) might have to be tweaked so they don't end up leading the league.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Is that what you wanted, Chris?

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Passer rating top 5:

Brady, Peyton, Garcia, Pennington, Eli

Rushing yards top 5:

Tomlinson, Westbrook, Parker, Lynch, Fargas(?)

08-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Is that what you wanted, Chris?

Yeah actually, that's perfect. It looks good other than the comp%. As long as VY doesn't get 3k yards on the ground it's all good :)

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:18 PM
In the playoffs, Pats beat Colts 51-28 (weird) and Bucs beat Cowboys 22-12, setting up for a Brady/Garcia showdown. I'm gonna see what the Super Bowl is like in the game, what the celebrations are and whatnot.

EDIT: Super Bowl is uninteresting - no presentation differences aside from a little mention that, you know, it's the biggest game of the year.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Some gameplay impressions:

- The graphics are PRETTY. They actually made a big upgrade from last year, especially in terms of players on the sidelines and the grass and whatnot. Little things like that. The sideline players can be run through, but they're not fat blobs like the last time.

- Running backs get to fight for yards. You don't get tackled right away, you get to try and break the tackle usually, but it's pretty tough. Tackle animations look really good as well, with some new gang tackles and things like that.

- When you pass, the camera gets pulled back a little farther, and luckily it's not as easy to just lob hail marys to Randy Moss all game. I can't really comment on how many "cheap" plays there are because I only played a quarter, but it seems fairly solid.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Oh, also, you can't play online multiplayer yet, EA servers are down. Right now I'm playing the Madden 93 that came with the Collector's Edition. For those that are wondering though, no, I didn't get NFL Head Coach, my friend took that part, along with the tin.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Oh, also, I know someone asked about the draft classes...what I'm going to do as far as that goes is just download the custom rosters for NCAA Football 09 (since I haven't tried that either) and import a draft class to see how that goes. Is that okay?

Bills2083
08-09-2008, 03:29 PM
It seems like rookie scouting is the same as last year - you scout them through the season, each week picking new people, etc. Right now I'm in the midst of simulating a franchise because I think the worst thing about the last game was how bad the simulation engine was at producing realistic stats, so I'll type that up for you guys with some relevant stuff as soon as it's done.

So on the 360 version, you can scout players throughout the season?
That's a lot different than the PS2 version, where you do 10 scouting type things and then draft based on that.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:30 PM
So on the 360 version, you can scout players throughout the season?

Yeah, it's pretty cool, actually. It shows you a player's height, weight, potential, etc., and their stats so far in the season. For example, I was scouting this right tackle who had 7 pancakes and 4 sacks allowed in college so far, and each week I'd get a little bit more information on them. It probably requires a lot of work to keep up on the scouting this time, though.

PackerLegend
08-09-2008, 03:37 PM
How are some people getting their copy? Did you guys pre-oder it?

Bills2083
08-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah, it's pretty cool, actually. It shows you a player's height, weight, potential, etc., and their stats so far in the season. For example, I was scouting this right tackle who had 7 pancakes and 4 sacks allowed in college so far, and each week I'd get a little bit more information on them. It probably requires a lot of work to keep up on the scouting this time, though.

I guess I missed a lot of stuff with the PS2 version. I cant wait to get the 360 :D :D

BTW, you can watch a complete game online (Bills vs. Jets)
http://www.pastapadre.com/2955/full-game-of-madden-09-bills-jets#more-2955

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:47 PM

I actually have no idea. My friend and me were each gonna put in some money and we'd split Madden and Head Coach. We both put in like $45 and I got Madden, he got Head Coach and the collector's box or whatever. He just let me know he'd picked up and so now I have a copy of Madden. :)

LonghornsLegend
08-09-2008, 03:57 PM
In the playoffs, Pats beat Colts 51-28 (weird) and Bucs beat Cowboys 22-12, setting up for a Brady/Garcia showdown. I'm gonna see what the Super Bowl is like in the game, what the celebrations are and whatnot.

EDIT: Super Bowl is uninteresting - no presentation differences aside from a little mention that, you know, it's the biggest game of the year.

That always bothered me, I felt they should put more effort into hyping the super bowl up, before the game and during it so you can feel like your playing the biggest game of the season, more celebrations at the end, would be nice to go further into detail with those things.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 03:58 PM
I guess I missed a lot of stuff with the PS2 version. I cant wait to get the 360 :D :D

BTW, you can watch a complete game online (Bills vs. Jets)
http://www.pastapadre.com/2955/full-game-of-madden-09-bills-jets#more-2955

Yeah, there is a lot of new stuff and a lot of stuff that got changed from the PS2 version. I'd say this is the best 360 version yet. If I was going to rate each game:

Madden 06 - 5/10
Madden 07 - 6.5/10
Madden 08 - 7.5/10
Madden 09 - 8 or 8.5/10

Go_Eagles77
08-09-2008, 04:07 PM
lol Madden 06 for 360 was a piece of crap, but I still played it almost every day during football season, that basically sums up my need to have an updated football game during football season.

Bills2083
08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Didnt Madden come out with a feature where instead of setting the computer to 'rookie' or 'all-star', it sets itself to your playing capability? Has anyone else seen or heard anything else along those lines?

Dr. Gonzo
08-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Didnt Madden come out with a feature where instead of setting the computer to 'rookie' or 'all-star', it sets itself to your playing capability? Has anyone else seen or heard anything else along those lines?

That is indeed a new big feature. Basically you do some drills and it adapts to how good you are.

08-09-2008, 04:36 PM

Yeah, but you can still go to the old kind of difficulties as well.

TheBuffaloBills
08-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Tell me what the top ten rookie ratings in your first season...... Tell me position and overall

Dr. Gonzo
08-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Tell me what the top ten rookie ratings in your first season...... Tell me position and overall

Do you mean rookies to draft in 2010? You do realize that rookies are randomized and therefor will be different when you play the game.

Eaglez.Fan
08-09-2008, 04:48 PM
He just wants to see the positions and 40 times probably. In 07 there were like 20 DEs in the top 32 players. One DE ran a 4.2 forty yard dash. He's just making sure they've fixed that.
;)

TheBuffaloBills
08-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Do you mean rookies to draft in 2010? You do realize that rookies are randomized and therefor will be different when you play the game.

Yeah I know, but in 07 in every draft the top 8 of 10 picks would all be DE's

Last year there was a lot of Corners and safeties in the top 10.... I never saw a WR or RB taken in the top 10 in 08

I was wondering if they fixed.....

RaiderNation
08-09-2008, 04:56 PM
what store are you guys getting madden 09 from this early? i just called my local game stop and they said it comes out tuesday.

Bills2083
08-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Yeah I know, but in 07 in every draft the top 8 of 10 picks would all be DE's

Last year there was a lot of Corners and safeties in the top 10.... I never saw a WR or RB taken in the top 10 in 08

I was wondering if they fixed.....

What system was it on?
On the PS2, the best top rated players were at different positions every year.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 05:23 PM

Alright, I guess I'll just sim right up to the draft and see what the top ten picks come out to.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Also, since people were asking about the difficulty in the game...yes, I can confirm that what Chris said is right. You basically go through four drills upon starting the game (rush offense, pass offense, rush defense, pass defense), and it judges how good you are at each and sets the difficulty like that. Additionally, you can also set it to Rookie, Pro, All-Pro, All-Madden as you could in the last game.

It's also worth mentioning that I wasn't able to find any kind of computer sliders, although they do have a few new sliders for the user. You can now adjust (if I am remembering right) defensive back reaction time, etc. Again, this is (to my knowledge) ONLY for the user, which kinda sucks. Hopefully it's either in there somewhere, or EA releases some kind of patch.

I would check again right now but I am working on getting to the draft right now so that I can answer the question someone posted a little while ago about how good the rookies turn out to be.

Turtlepower
08-09-2008, 05:29 PM
The Wii version actually looks good, so i may invest in it...

LonghornsLegend
08-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Also, since people were asking about the difficulty in the game...yes, I can confirm that what Chris said is right. You basically go through four drills upon starting the game (rush offense, pass offense, rush defense, pass defense), and it judges how good you are at each and sets the difficulty like that. Additionally, you can also set it to Rookie, Pro, All-Pro, All-Madden as you could in the last game.

So I'm guessing the game could, in a sense become harder then what All-Madden is, if your really good at the drills, and have gotten really good at the game, it adjust to your level of play to make it competitive right?

I'm guessing they did it so there aren't any blowouts but I don't know how thats going to work.

Gay Ork Wang
08-09-2008, 05:45 PM
The Wii version actually looks good, so i may invest in it...
Tell me how it is, I might think about buying it

Turtlepower
08-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Tell me how it is, I might think about buying it

I have a free rental at blockbuster, so i'll check it out their first. Also, I think that there are online leagues for the wii!!!!!!

Brent
08-09-2008, 05:51 PM
So I'm guessing the game could, in a sense become harder then what All-Madden is, if your really good at the drills, and have gotten really good at the game, it adjust to your level of play to make it competitive right?

I'm guessing they did it so there aren't any blowouts but I don't know how thats going to work.
Yeah, I believe that you can actually have some parts of the game be harder than All-Madden, if you test that well. I am sure there were enough people asking for something above "All Madden"

A lot of stores get games early, so if you work at one of those stores and you put money down or whatever, stores will let their employees buy it... or if you know the right people at a store. I believe Wal-Mart and Gamestop got them by now because they are open at midnight.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh, by the way, I just simulated another season and got Patriots/Buccaneers in the Super Bowl again (Pats won, MVP was...Ellis Hobbs?) Also, Jeff Garcia played extremely well for the second straight season. I would have to say my favorite part about the game is the new simulation engine - it's much better than it ever was on 360/PS2, etc. You actually get solid statistics in the franchise mode.

Some other impressions from the offseason: you can hire a scouting agency (similar to training staff) for the draft. Pretty cool. You can also upgrade/relocate, etc. I didn't get this far into Madden 08 because of the simulation engine in the game, so this is all new to me. Bill Belichick gives my linebackers a bonus, same with Pees. McDaniels adds to my QBs. Pretty cool stuff.

Damn, Bruschi and Harrison retired, and both Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh got released from the Bengals into free agency. Weirdly, Chad Johnson didn't sign with anyone. In the draft, they give you an overview of the player's skills (zone coverage, man coverage, etc. and a comparison.) It's really neat. As far as the draft, itself...well, I'll let you see it.

1. Chiefs - QB, 87
2. Cardinals - QB, 85
3. Broncos - QB, 84
4. Bengals - DT, 87
5. Lions - QB, 82
6. Panthers - QB, 78 (Delhomme left)
7. Bears - QB, 79
8. Steelers - DT, 83
9. Buccaneers - QB, 78 (Garcia retired)
10. Giants - SS, 82

So...7/10 are QBs. I guess I can see five of those (Cardinals and Broncos not really making sense.) Hopefully this is just a one-time thing or something, or importing a draft class fixes this problem. The one thing I kind of like are the high-ish ratings, because it makes it less likely that teams just dump them after a couple years like happened in the PS2 version (Aaron Rodgers getting released after one year, etc.)

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 05:54 PM

I would lean towards no, because it seems as though you can just test at All-Madden in everything, and that just sets the game to All-Madden difficulty. Maybe you could do something with sliders, though. I'm not sure. I'll take a look at the sliders for you.

LonghornsLegend
08-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Sounds pretty good, either way I'm going to buy the bundle so I can give Head Coach a spin and see if it lives up to the hype, but I do need something to play now that football is back.

eaglesfan_45
08-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Is the draft any better propsect wise? I hate having the top LB prospect as a 4th rounder and then by the time you get really far into the dynasty the top LB in the NFL is 79 overall.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Is the draft any better propsect wise? I hate having the top LB prospect as a 4th rounder and then by the time you get really far into the dynasty the top LB in the NFL is 79 overall.

The player ratings were with the top-10 picks, like...two posts ago. :rolleyes: Ranges from 78-87 from what I've seen.

Im_a_Romosexual
08-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Did they bring back training camp before the season or did they keep it like last year where you train before each week?

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Did they bring back training camp before the season or did they keep it like last year where you train before each week?

Seems like each week. I didn't start season two yet but there was no training camp before the first year and I did notice the "train for this game" option when clicking on a game.

RaiderNation
08-09-2008, 09:02 PM
what store are you guys getting madden 09 from this early? i just called my local game stop and they said it comes out tuesday.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Can I help out anyone else with anything?

scottyboy
08-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Can I help out anyone else with anything?

Are Rice's thighs as juicy in the game as they are in real life?

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Are Rice's thighs as juicy in the game as they are in real life?

I don't think it's possible to code that into the game. It's just too magnificent for a computer to replicate.

Bills2083
08-09-2008, 09:17 PM
The Superstar mode is in it, correct?
If so, I hope they changed it a little bit. Whenever I made a player, he would always be a 99 rating right out of the draft. I never played that mode again because it took all the fun out of making your player become one of the best players at the position.

RaiderNation
08-09-2008, 09:34 PM
If so, I hope they changed it a little bit. Whenever I made a player, he would always be a 99 rating right out of the draft. I never played that mode again because it took all the fun out of making your player become one of the best players at the position.

I hated the Superstar mode. the screen where u contol ur player. When ur a QB the screen needs to be wider

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 09:49 PM

It's still in the game, I haven't tried it out yet because honestly the only one I actually liked was the Madden 06 Superstar Mode. If you want me to try out something in it, I would be glad to, though.

EDIT: Oh, also, since you haven't played for 360, you can also select rookies to play as. Last year you could be JaMarcus, etc., this year I'm assuming it's the first-round picks in the draft.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Anything else you've noticed? Like who's a good RB, QB, etc. to use or anything like that? Last year I remember Reggie Bush was dynamite in the game. Or how a fantasy draft goes. Like is there a round where a certain position goes like crazy, do 3-4 teams draft 3-4 players, etc.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Anything else you've noticed? Like who's a good RB to use or anything like that? Last year I remember Reggie Bush was dynamite in the game.

I haven't really got a chance to play the game much, but it seems as though power guys are pretty good this year. It's a lot more fun to run inside in my opinion, since you don't go down right away.

regoob2
08-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Can I help out anyone else with anything?Who are the top FA's and there overalls in franchise mode? will +rep.

RaiderNation
08-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Is the Full House formation still on the Run and Gun offence? Thats the running formation I use and really hope its still there

LonghornsLegend
08-09-2008, 11:17 PM
I hated the Superstar mode. the screen where u contol ur player. When ur a QB the screen needs to be wider

Well I don't mind that, its supposed to be as your playing as the QB, from the QB's vision so to speak...I just hate when your anything other then the QB the playcalling is trash, and some positions are too hard to play...WR is almost pointless, you rarely get it thrown your way, can't control when you want to pass or when you want it thrown your way, and from the angle its nearly impossible to consistently catch the ball since they use a completely different camera angle...I stick with RB, and QB and thats it.

Bills2083
08-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Well I don't mind that, its supposed to be as your playing as the QB, from the QB's vision so to speak...I just hate when your anything other then the QB the playcalling is trash, and some positions are too hard to play...WR is almost pointless, you rarely get it thrown your way, can't control when you want to pass or when you want it thrown your way, and from the angle its nearly impossible to consistently catch the ball since they use a completely different camera angle...I stick with RB, and QB and thats it.

I tried receiver, and like you said, I had no plays called for me. I stuck with running back, safety, and linebacker.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Who are the top FA's and there overalls in franchise mode? will +rep.

Here you go:

QB - Chad Pennington (81), Daunte Culpepper (80)
RB - Shaun Alexander (84), Najeh Davenport/Cedric Benson (80)
FB - Lorenzo Neal (87), John Kuhn (85)
WR - Terry Glenn (85), Eddie Kennison (83)
TE - Eric Johnson (80), Kyle Brady (79)
OT - Wayne Gandy (84), Fred Miller (85)
OG - Ruben Brown (84), Chris Naeole (88)
C - Jeremy Newberry (85)

LE - Bryce Fisher (78), Kennard Lang (78)
RE - Darren Howard (80), Simeon Rice (79)
DT - Rod Coleman (86), Keith Traylor/Booger (83)
LOLB - Rob Morris (81), Warrick Holdman (80)
MLB - Al Wilson (83), Junior Seau (82)
ROLB - Takeo Spikes (87), Ali Highsmith (73)
CB - Ty Law (86), Aaron Glenn (76)
FS - John Lynch (85), Will Allen (78)
SS - Donovin Darius (82), Adam Archuleta (80)

K - John Carney (83)
P - Scott Player/Todd Sauerbrun (83)

This is with the roster update. Chad Pennington wasn't signed by Miami in time for it.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Is the Full House formation still on the Run and Gun offence? Thats the running formation I use and really hope its still there

Just checked, and it's still there. Full House - Strong (8 plays) and Weak (9 plays.)

Or Moyal
08-09-2008, 11:39 PM
How does the 3-4 work? Does the game force your OLBs to play in coverage half the time? ><
It annoyed the profanitying expletive out of me last year.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Oh, also, I dunno if anyone wanted to know this or not, but since the guy has his own ticker on ESPN, Brett Favre is in the first roster update (servers are periodically working), and is a 94 overall.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 11:41 PM
How does the 3-4 work? Does the game force your OLBs to play in coverage half the time? ><
It annoyed the profanitying expletive out of me last year.

This gives me a chance to try to knock the stuffing out of Favre with Mayo/Thomas so I'll check right away.

EDIT: Checked, and it does seem like you're in coverage a fair amount of the time. I would say you get a handful of good opportunities to rush, though, especially with your ROLB (in my case Adalius, Ware if you have the Cowboys.) The other linebackers do seem to be in coverage a lot though.

Or Moyal
08-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Damn, that sucks. I never liked how the game was more geared towards 43 defenses.
Thanks for doing all this research for us ;)
And on that note, is QB vision still there?

Matthew Jones
08-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Damn, that sucks. I never liked how the game was more geared towards 43 defenses.
Thanks for doing all this research for us ;)
And on that note, is QB vision still there?

Well, I know for a fact it's not on by default. I'll go have a look tomorrow morning if you don't mind. I don't think I saw it in the settings menu, though, which kind of sucks because I've always kind of liked that. Also, you're welcome. I don't mind helping y'all out.

TheBuffaloBills
08-10-2008, 12:34 AM
I can live with those top ten picks

Have Raven can you see if any particular position didnt produce a rookie that isnt over like a 75 overall...... I remember in 07, you could never find a DT over a 60 overall.... And what are the recievers overalls........ This would bother me, but were the majority of rookie QB's like 6'0 207lbs or like 5'11 194lbs?

Matthew Jones
08-10-2008, 01:41 AM

Have Raven can you see if any particular position didnt produce a rookie that isnt over like a 75 overall...... I remember in 07, you could never find a DT over a 60 overall.... And what are the recievers overalls........ This would bother me, but were the majority of rookie QB's like 6'0 207lbs or like 5'11 194lbs?

If you want, I'll go take a look tomorrow. Right now I'm too tired, but yeah. I'll take a look for you.

GB12
08-10-2008, 01:51 AM

Is it really bothering you that much that you can't wait two days to find this stuff out for yourself?

TheBuffaloBills
08-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Is it really bothering you that much that you can't wait two days to find this stuff out for yourself?

Well I dont want to drop that money on a game that produces QB's under 6'0 all the time.... Or have the Linebacker and DT position become extinct when all the current players retire.....

Brent
08-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Well, I dont remember that being a problem with last year's.

iloxygenil
08-10-2008, 11:08 AM

Actually you can call for the ball...doesn't mean you'll get it every time, but I lit the league on fire with my WR heh.

iloxygenil
08-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Man, I can't wait to check this out...I should have done the demo on the 360 but I've been working so much.

08-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Actually you can call for the ball...doesn't mean you'll get it every time, but I lit the league on fire with my WR heh.

Me too. I was doing so well as a WR with the Bears on Madden 07 for PS2 that I decided to up the difficulty.

Rex Grossman threw 8 interceptions that game.

Matthew Jones
08-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Me too. I was doing so well as a WR with the Bears on Madden 07 for PS2 that I decided to up the difficulty.

Rex Grossman threw 8 interceptions that game.

Hey, don't diss Sexy Rexy. I've probably thrown five in a game with Tom Brady before, maybe six with another quarterback, which is more embarrassing if you ask me.

PackerLegend
08-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Only like a day ago but how's the soundtrack. And exactly who is the announcer?

Matthew Jones
08-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Only like a day ago but how's the soundtrack. And exactly who is the announcer?

The announcers are Tom Hammond and Chris Collinsworth. Hammond is kind of boring, but still much better than the guy last year. Collinsworth is a good addition. The announcing is at least as good as the old Maddens. I'm really not a fan of the soundtrack, I think it's pretty awful. But then again, I haven't liked any of the Madden soundtracks, really. It's the same combo of modern rock/bad rap that's been around for a while. I love rock and rap, just not the type that's been in Madden as of late.

BamaFalcon59
08-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, Madden soundtracks are bad.

etk
08-10-2008, 06:45 PM
I liked the rock last year, but the rap did suck. Madden soundtracks always consist of 10 good songs and many more HORRIBLE ones.

TimD
08-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Is Favre on the jets in it? or do we have to wait for updated rosters?

ATLDirtyBirds
08-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I liked the rock last year, but the rap did suck. Madden soundtracks always consist of 10 good songs and many more HORRIBLE ones.

I was pretty disappointed with the rap. Normally Murs is the man, but that Dreadlocks song was pretty bad.

etk
08-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I was pretty disappointed with the rap. Normally Murs is the man, but that Dreadlocks song was pretty bad.

Dreadlocks, MIMS and It's Me Snitches all in one game?!?! FAIL.

Twiddler
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Dreadlocks, MIMS and It's Me Snitches all in one game?!?! FAIL.

Yeah, I don't follow rap but in the few times that I did play last years Madden I got those tracks burned into my memory. Horrible, absolutely horrible.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Question. I plan on editing the ratings big time. If I get the roster updates, will it undo what I edit?

Malaka
08-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Question. I plan on editing the ratings big time. If I get the roster updates, will it undo what I edit?

Yeah, it will undo everything.

etk
08-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Yeah, it will undo everything.

You can make separate roster files, but still....you'll want to make your edits over top of the updates.

neko4
08-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Theres gonna be online Franchises right?
If so, any PS3 people intreseted in starting one. Im only looking for like 3-4 people

Dr. Gonzo
08-10-2008, 08:11 PM
I am very interested to know how Head Coach is. Has anyone played it and can tell me or does anyone know of a site that has reviewed it?

GB12
08-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Just make two seperate saves for the rosters. Your edits won't carry over to the update, but that way you don't lose all the work you did.

BamaFalcon59
08-10-2008, 08:13 PM
If so, any PS3 people intreseted in starting one. Im only looking for like 3-4 people

I'm in. Definitely. Won't get it probably till next weekend though.

PackerLegend
08-10-2008, 10:11 PM
I might be down for online franchise... ill be getting mine Tuesday

Brent
08-10-2008, 10:12 PM
I just uncheck everything but the normal (non-remixed) NFL Films songs. I hate Madden soundtracks.

TheBuffaloBills
08-10-2008, 10:19 PM

Dreadlocks falling all over me..... I got Dreadlocks falling all over me.... Some people got about 100, But I got about 9...... LOL

TheBuffaloBills
08-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Well if you like the rock last year.... Most of the bands are back this year...

Disturbed new one is good

Matthew Jones
08-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Is Favre on the jets in it? or do we have to wait for updated rosters?

Updated rosters. They're out already.

Matthew Jones
08-10-2008, 10:29 PM

I've heard that's the case, no one's really playing yet.

Dr. Gonzo
08-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Has your friend told you how Head Coach is Raven?

Matthew Jones
08-11-2008, 02:25 AM
Has your friend told you how Head Coach is Raven?

I'll ask next time I get a chance.

themaninblack
08-11-2008, 02:33 AM
got this on Saturday with some luck. Haven't really played much of it yet except a Superstar that I started earlier. Gonna play it a lot tomorrow as I have the day off for the most part.

Brent
08-11-2008, 10:26 AM
How the hell are you people getting your copy early?

Hines
08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Going to my friends tomorrow to play it. I cant wait to be the Steelers will all those weapons. Oh lordy.

Ravens1991
08-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Is this coming out for PS2

Bills2083
08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
^Yeah, it is. It will cost 39.99

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-11-2008, 04:11 PM
How the hell are you people getting your copy early?

i agree, such garbage. Why can't i be one of the fortunate

themaninblack
08-11-2008, 05:23 PM
I got mine from a friend who works at a store which sells video games. Cannot give specifics.

Brent
08-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I got mine from a friend who works at a store which sells video games. Cannot give specifics.
Figures, that is pretty normal. Actually, if they find out what store it is, they can revoke their license to sell that brands' games.

Xiomera
08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
For those of you who somehow already have it, how are the graphics on a PS3? Better than last years?

Xonraider
08-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Anyone got the Wii version other than me :S

thule
08-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Can't believe I haven't heard a peep about head coach

LonghornsLegend
08-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Can't believe I haven't heard a peep about head coach

That's what I'm waiting to hear about, but I will be buying the bundle and popping it in tonight because I'm the most excited for that, so I will report what I see.

themaninblack
08-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Figures, that is pretty normal. Actually, if they find out what store it is, they can revoke their license to sell that brands' games.

Ya I havent told anyone much other than I have it.

Canadian_kid16
08-11-2008, 10:14 PM
That's what I'm waiting to hear about, but I will be buying the bundle and popping it in tonight because I'm the most excited for that, so I will report what I see.

Can't wait, as I'm waiting for HC to come out on its own before I get it

thule
08-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Can't wait, as I'm waiting for HC to come out on its own before I get it

Ebay is a great thing

PackerLegend
08-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Madden is already a fair amount of head coach. Really its stupid... they talk about how you can make plays in HC and bring them into Madden.... Wow you could just make plays in Madden and use them, atleast it was in Madden at 1 point. They should just combine the 2 because Madden is half of head coach already.

Amazing what a 1 year lay off will do. NFL Head Coach 07....awful I guess it wouldn't take much to improve it a little from awful to poor. Dont see why everyones so excited, of course EA will say its so improved.

Dr. Gonzo
08-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Madden is already a fair amount of head coach. Really its stupid... they talk about how you can make plays in HC and bring them into Madden.... Wow you could just make plays in Madden and use them, atleast it was in Madden at 1 point. They should just combine the 2 because Madden is half of head coach already.

Amazing what a 1 year lay off will do. NFL Head Coach 07....awful I guess it wouldn't take much to improve it a little from awful to poor. Dont see why everyones so excited, of course EA will say its so improved.

I attempted not to get excited because of Head Coach 07 but every preview I have read on the game makes it sound excellent. Not only does everything sound improved but it also has new features that sound fun to play. I think everyone here who is excited about Head Coach will also wait to read reviews and opinions on it. The only legit review I can find gave it an 8. Head Coach is also not just about creating plays so I do not understand the point you are trying ot make. People are excited about the new Head Coach for good reason and I do not know why that pissed you off enough to warrent writing two run on paragraphs calling the hype for Head Coach stupid.

LonghornsLegend
08-11-2008, 11:13 PM

Actually they aren't the same thing in terms of franchise mode and it's not even close...The fact that you can still just get high overalls and plug them in to have a good defense isn't appealing to me...I have friends that play franchise mode and have Mario Williams in a 3-4, Merriman as an OLB in a 4-3, at the very least thats not an issue in HC...You have to get players that fit a certain scheme for them to be effective in the defense, no more Tommie Harris as your 3-4 NT and still being a 97 in Madden.

Thats just one small little thing but the list is huge, franchise mode on madden is arcade like, the free agency system is a joke, the realism is non-existent, at least in HC you get the chance to simulate actually running a team(going to players pro day to scout, attending the combines, keeping your coordinators happy throughout the season), Madden doesn't even touch it.

HChu
08-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Actually they aren't the same thing in terms of franchise mode and it's not even close...The fact that you can still just get high overalls and plug them in to have a good defense isn't appealing to me...I have friends that play franchise mode and have Mario Williams in a 3-4, Merriman as an OLB in a 4-3, at the very least thats not an issue in HC...You have to get players that fit a certain scheme for them to be effective in the defense, no more Tommie Harris as your 3-4 NT and still being a 97 in Madden.

Thats just one small little thing but the list is huge, franchise mode on madden is arcade like, the free agency system is a joke, the realism is non-existent, at least in HC you get the chance to simulate actually running a team(going to players pro day to scout, attending the combines, keeping your coordinators happy throughout the season), Madden doesn't even touch it.

This post sums up all my discontent with Madden, and why I'm looking forward to Head Coach so much.

TheBuffaloBills
08-11-2008, 11:26 PM
I just got my Collector's edition... The box is sharp and crisp..... However it doesnt include 2 boxes for HC and madden... They are both folded up.....

There is a 3rd bonus disc, which I am assuming is the first madden...... But there must be some other stuff for it..

I am not going to play it tonight because I have drivers Ed in 5 hours..... Yeah it sucks.....

Brent
08-12-2008, 12:58 AM
I got it about an hour ago. The servers aren't working so I just quit trying. But for those curious, it's pretty sweet.

iloxygenil
08-12-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm looking forward to getting this, it won't be this week for me because of my crazy work schedule, also is good that i'm not so I can get some reviews about HC.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Any personal reviews for the 360 version? All I care about is gameplay and graphics and not all the other modes and junk because I only play Madden with my roomates and stuff.

TheBuffaloBills
08-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Madden got an 8.8 on IGN.

That is the highest score for Madden on the 360........Ever

NY+Giants=NYG
08-12-2008, 09:31 AM
NFL head Coach is what I am waiting to hear about. I heard it's a sick game. You are the coach, and basically perform all the duties accordingly. You can even trade for future draft picks as well. Free Agency I heard is like real time Ebay style of bidding on the player, and players can leave for personal reasons, and you can try to get players out of retirement, or convince them i should say.

Overall from what I been reading, and some of the videos I been watching, this game is the perfect thing for those that love the offseason like me. I actually like madden for the offseason stuff, so this game is perfect for me.

M.O.T.H.
08-12-2008, 09:46 AM
NFL Head Coach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP5KycrQXsk

Xiomera
08-12-2008, 10:08 AM
For anyone who has the PS3 version already, is the frame rate issue from last year improved any? I recall Madden 08 was really choppy at times . . . annoyed the hell out of me.

M.O.T.H.
08-12-2008, 10:16 AM
So, how exactly does that adaption test thing work if you have a mutli player franchise? Separate profiles? Because, I always play multi-player franchises.

Bills2083
08-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey, I have a question for the people who own a 360.
When I am on the field, how do I zoom out in order to see the play I'm running?

M.O.T.H.
08-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey, I have a question for the people who own a 360.
When I am on the field, how do I zoom out in order to see the play I'm running?

Press the right trigger to see the field w/ out your routes. Press up on the right stick to see your routes while doing this.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-12-2008, 10:30 AM
So, how exactly does that adaption test thing work if you have a mutli player franchise? Separate profiles? Because, I always play multi-player franchises.

Ya, this is something i'm interested in also. Having 3 guys playing LBs is great. A QB, RB, and WR on offense. So fun.

One day i hope you can do an online team franchise, so we could potentially get 3-4 guys and play on the same team through a season.

Can't wait to get Madden after work, going to have to renew my Live membership soon, but i want to know the extent of the added features. Leagues? Player stats in the leagues? Crappy glitches? I'll stay the first few days playing by myself (i prefer normal franchise mode), but if you can do the same thing with other people as other teams, i'm all over that.

Brent
08-12-2008, 10:31 AM
For anyone who has the PS3 version already, is the frame rate issue from last year improved any? I recall Madden 08 was really choppy at times . . . annoyed the hell out of me.
Yes they fixed the frame rate issue. Anyone else with a PS3 been unable to connect to the EA servers?

Splat
08-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm still kicking it old school on the PS2 and I'm pretty happy with 09 I was so let down last year at the lack of being updated from 07 to 08 but I like this game.

thule
08-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Head Coach looks about what I thought it would be...I'm tempted now

M.O.T.H.
08-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Head Coach looks about what I thought it would be...I'm tempted now

Looks better than I thought it would but, I dont want to be fooled again. I'm holding off from buying both Madden and HC for a little while.

d34ng3l021
08-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I cant wait to build a powerhouse out of the Falcons.

vidae
08-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Ya, this is something i'm interested in also. Having 3 guys playing LBs is great. A QB, RB, and WR on offense. So fun.

One day i hope you can do an online team franchise, so we could potentially get 3-4 guys and play on the same team through a season.

Can't wait to get Madden after work, going to have to renew my Live membership soon, but i want to know the extent of the added features. Leagues? Player stats in the leagues? Crappy glitches? I'll stay the first few days playing by myself (i prefer normal franchise mode), but if you can do the same thing with other people as other teams, i'm all over that.

I was really hoping this was the year you could do co-op franchise online. A buddy of mine and I do a fantasy draft every year when the new Madden comes out but he moved away a while ago. Was hoping we could do it this year online but I guess not!

Also, I can't wait for online co-op superstar mode. That would be insanely fun. Who knows if that's even on the horizon though.

08-12-2008, 11:59 AM

I can't speak for sure, I'm on 360, but I was on IGN this morning before I went and got it, and PS3 has the same rating as the 360 version. I didn't read the review though, but I know last year PS3 was rated worse because of framerate.

Xiomera
08-12-2008, 12:03 PM
I can't speak for sure, I'm on 360, but I was on IGN this morning before I went and got it, and PS3 has the same rating as the 360 version. I didn't read the review though, but I know last year PS3 was rated worse because of framerate.

I actually read that review and it only confused me more. Said that the frame rate issues are a thing of the past, but then went on to say that while the frame rate during the actual plays is better, before and after the snap it's still kinda iffy.

I wanna hear from the people! haha

TheBuffaloBills
08-12-2008, 12:12 PM
I actually read that review and it only confused me more. Said that the frame rate issues are a thing of the past, but then went on to say that while the frame rate during the actual plays is better, before and after the snap it's still kinda iffy.

I wanna hear from the people! haha

I would be very surprised if it isn't 60 FPS...... I am almost certain it is 60 FPS

IndyColtScout
08-12-2008, 12:14 PM
So I got my copy of Madden 09 special edition (which includes Head Coach 09) last night at midnight.

That cost me 90 bucks, but since I got there early, I got to whoop the Texans in a game (won by 3 TDs) while waiting at gamestop, and on top of that I won an authentic Joe Addai jersey in a raffle. Also, I got a free slice of pizza and a coke. :)

Canadian_kid16
08-12-2008, 12:16 PM
NFL Head Coach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP5KycrQXsk

I wonder if some people would put this game up on e-bay in the near future?

the dude giving the review sounds ******** though lol

IndyColtScout
08-12-2008, 12:18 PM
BTW PS3 version is sick. Obviously not as sick as the 360 version since its not in 1080 on PS3, but still sick gameplay. Haven't played head coach yet.

Also, BTW I have friends that work at gamestop, and have been playing this game since Sunday. They got authorized to put it in the PS3 early, and I basically played the staff for the last few days.

So yea, I have played quite a few games already.

Only thing I don't like is how the rewind thing pops up after every play. Pretty annoying.

thule
08-12-2008, 01:14 PM
For the record you can purchase Head Coach separately online...amazon has it for 49.99

steelersfan43
08-12-2008, 01:18 PM
feels slippery slidy when you run, like madden 02 for ps one

WMD
08-12-2008, 01:21 PM
feels slippery slidy when you run, like madden 02 for ps one

Are you freestyling?? That was a sick rhyme, man.

In other news, I'm headed up to see if I can snatch a copy of Madden.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-12-2008, 01:28 PM
I was really hoping this was the year you could do co-op franchise online. A buddy of mine and I do a fantasy draft every year when the new Madden comes out but he moved away a while ago. Was hoping we could do it this year online but I guess not!

Also, I can't wait for online co-op superstar mode. That would be insanely fun. Who knows if that's even on the horizon though.

Same situation with me and my friend. Even a decent league setup would have been sufficient, something like NBA 2K8, where everyone is a team in the league, and stats are kept for users and your players. Unfortunately, these simplistic ideas seem to escape the minds, or are just to complicated to orchastrate, for the EA staff to generate

roidrunner
08-12-2008, 01:37 PM
if you can spend the extra money and get the collectors edition, it come with both NFL head coach and madden its freaking awesome

oldLibid21
08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Are there clear visors in this game? lol.

Brent
08-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Are there clear visors in this game? lol.
clear, green, chrome, red, rainbow, and black visors.

And for those who are curious, PS3 is just fine there are no problems with Madden on PS3. The PSN servers arent working so well but that shouldnt be an issue for very long but who cares, once it's working it's free. Also, it looks great in 1080p.

IndyColtScout
08-12-2008, 01:53 PM
clear, green, chrome, red, rainbow, and black visors.

And for those who are curious, PS3 is just fine there are no problems with Madden on PS3. The PSN servers arent working so well but that shouldnt be an issue for very long but who cares, once it's working it's free. Also, it looks great in 1080p.

PS3 Madden 09 is NOT in 1080i or 1080p, you are probably viewing in 720p and don't realize it.

Ravens1991
08-12-2008, 01:57 PM
anybody notice how incredibly dumb it is that you cant draft Peyton Manning until the 2nd round.

Go_Eagles77
08-12-2008, 02:01 PM
anybody notice how incredibly dumb it is that you cant draft Peyton Manning until the 2nd round.

I don't have the game, but that does seem really stupid, why is that?