PDA

View Full Version : Question: Could the spread offense work in the NFL?

Hines
08-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Just a simple question. I know Texas Tech runs a variety of spread offenses, sort of like the Colts. But, could a Florida, or West Virginia type of spread offense work against bigger, faster, and smarter defenses in the pros?

adschofield
08-07-2008, 04:54 PM
New England ran a spread and went 18-1, so yes, a spread can work in the NFL...But I doubt a WVU or UF-type spread could work just because of the speed of NFL defenses

D-Unit
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
New England ran a spread and went 18-1, so yes, a spread can work in the NFL...But I doubt a WVU or UF-type spread could work just because of the speed of NFL defenses
Exactly what you said. NE ran an offense very similar to Hawaii's Run 'N Shoot. Spread option systems wouldn't work. Not only is the speed a factor, starting QBs would get slaughtered.

08-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Houston did use a Run 'N Shoot offense with Moon a few years back quite successfully and the Pats similarly did so as well last season but as far the Florida & WVU spread offenses go there is no way it would work for reasons already mentioned in this thread.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah it can. Packers ran a spread, and so did the Pats. You couldn't run the offense that UF and WVU runs because at this level you're QB would get killed.

keylime_5
08-07-2008, 05:23 PM
The spread NE used is really a one back system with lots of 3, 4, and 5 WR sets. Texas Tech uses the run and shoot where they sometimes don't use a back or their back is basically a WR in the backfield.

Zone Read Option is a high school offense, won't work in the NFL. heck, any kind of option wont work, speed and discipline murders the option in the NFL, that was proven long ago. That's why Nebraska's offensive players never did anything in the NFL from way back when.

Hines
08-07-2008, 05:25 PM
I was basically talking about a WVU type of spread offense. A pitch option, spread. Not the Run and Shoot.

hockey619
08-07-2008, 05:27 PM
I believe that the spread along the lines of what UF has could work in the NFL but would require some creativity. Rich Rod's spread is to simple in my opinion and defenses would have no trouble stopping it because of the lack of plays, making it rather predictable. If more plays were installed, maybe it could work, but UF's offense seems like it would be worthier topic of argument to me as it requires less maintenance to theoretically surivive in the pros.

A team could aqcuire three spread quarterbacks, like say Pat White,Tim Tebow and maybe Armanti Edwards, making QB injuries less of a worry. With the number of spread offenses in the college ranks, this team would have a somewhat easier time acquiring players that could fit the system. I feel like the 'tweener offensive players like Reggie Bush would excel in this offense because of their versatility to play wide out or take handoffs and end arounds and that they can create mismatches with the defense.

The coach of this team would have to be extremely flexible and creative with plays and playcalling to keep defenses on their toes cause if the offense is kept with simple reads, good defensive minds like Belichick would dismantle the offense. Also, defenses in the NFL tend to be significantly more disciplined then college D's, so the coach would have to really pay attention to particular deficiencies in each defense they face and find which players can be pulled out of position with the misdirection plays the spread thrives on.

These are just some of my thoughts. I'll give it some more thought as i feel like I'm forgetting an obvious point somewhere.

D-Unit
08-07-2008, 06:13 PM
The spread NE used is really a one back system with lots of 3, 4, and 5 WR sets. Texas Tech uses the run and shoot where they sometimes don't use a back or their back is basically a WR in the backfield.

Zone Read Option is a high school offense, won't work in the NFL. heck, any kind of option wont work, speed and discipline murders the option in the NFL, that was proven long ago. That's why Nebraska's offensive players never did anything in the NFL from way back when.
Tech's Run 'N Shoot is significantly different from Hawaii's Run 'N Shoot in that the receivers in Tech's system run predetermined routes. In Hawaii's system, or should I say, Mouse Davis' Run 'N Shoot system, the QB and receivers read what the defense gives them and then adjusts routes accordingly. This has been stated over and over by Hawaii's Head Coach Greg McMackin who was the Defensive Coordinator at Texas Tech at one time. It's a common question that is asked on the local radio whenever people have questions about Hawaii's offense.

Bruce
08-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Exactly what you said. NE ran an offense very similar to Hawaii's Run 'N Shoot. Spread option systems wouldn't work. Not only is the speed a factor, starting QBs would get slaughtered.Why didn't Spurrier's run-n-shoot work?

D-Unit
08-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Why didn't Spurrier's run-n-shoot work?
Patrick Ramsey, Danny Wuerffel, Shane Matthews... then he quit after 2 years. If you combine a bad bunch of QBs with a quitter, that's what you get.

adschofield
08-07-2008, 06:58 PM
However, once Tebow's in the league, I feel like he could run some successful pass option and zone read plays...but an offense built around those plays, meaning the WVU and UF offense, would fail.

Staubach12
08-07-2008, 07:02 PM
It can work, you just really need to have the personnel.

BuddyCHRIST
08-08-2008, 03:20 AM
One dimensional offenses don't really work in the NFL for very long. So as far as the way they are run in college a WVU like spread offense wouldn't work. But that's not to say plays such as the zone read are completely ineffective, Vince Young has had some success running it with the Titan's as long as its not called about 50% of the time like it is in college.

Iamcanadian
08-08-2008, 06:28 AM
New England runs a spread so it can be very successful in the NFL. Spread offenses where the QB runs a lot are possible if you have a Vince Young or a Michael Vick but they will never be really popular schemes in the NFL because they expose their QB's to serious injuries far too often. So far Young and Vick were used that way because they haven't proven to be effective passers.
Once Tebow reaches the pros, even if he plays in a spread offense, I don't think you'll see him run the ball a whole lot, only about as often as Brady runs from it.

rfc17
08-08-2008, 08:15 PM
It could work. its all about talent.

no one would have guessed you could do what the patriots did until they did it. nobody thought you could win by running the spread and playing mostly out of the shotgun but they did it. only reason they lost is that their Oline was overwhelmed in the super bowl. the giants DLine was better.

doesnt matter if you are running the spread or running a pro style offense, if the other team has better talent, you arent going to be successful. you can only "out-scheme" an opponent for so long. its all about talent.

People say the QB couldnt survive the pounding in a spread option. If he was built like a RB, he could. you see RBs playing 15, 16 games a season all the time.

I dont care how fast the defenses are or how good their schemes are, if youve got better talent, you can beat a defense running the spread option.

the problem is most coaches wont stick their neck out on the line and try something unique. if they lose while running a traditional pro style offense, it could always be blamed on the players or the GM who brought in those players. But if a coach loses while trying a unique spread option offense he'll never get another head coaching job ever again.