PDA

View Full Version : WTF Vernon Davis

T-RICH49
08-07-2008, 04:37 PM
just read this on another board and could not stop laughing.

Compairing himself to Tony Gonzalez, Jason Whitten and other top tight ends, Davis won't back off. "They're OK," Davis said."I believe I'm up there too maybe even better.I'm saying I'm going to have a great season.An awesome one."

Vernon MIGHT want to do something on the field before mentiong his name in the same breath as Gonzalez, Gates, Whitten and even Winslow

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Hopefully he bottoms out, then what we can hear what his excuses are. I'm sure he'd pull a TO or something.

08-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Hey, he's my starting TE in FF. I believe you Vernon ! Make me proud . :D

princefielder28
08-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Nothing wrong with a little confidence, but this is too much

NY+Giants=NYG
08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
He better be smart enough to learn Mike Martz's system. I know his system, and just by reading his playbook, it's a pain in the butt to remember. Thank god I am not a pro WR/TE.

D-Unit
08-07-2008, 04:41 PM
HAHAHA... Martz doesn't even put a TE on the field except on rare occassion. This is going to be interesting.

papa burgundy
08-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Good ol Vern.. He's just so stupid and overconfident that he brings joy to my heart. It's a shame they cut all of his "ya'knows" from written pieces cause that would make him even better to read about.

08-07-2008, 04:44 PM
HAHAHA... Martz doesn't even put a TE on the field except on rare occassion. This is going to be interesting.

Davis will line up in the slot on many occasions ..

NY+Giants=NYG
08-07-2008, 04:45 PM

It's because Martz didn't have the TE potential that he has in Davis. Martz runs alot of mesh concept, and crossing concepts, and so in theory Davis should really bloosom in this system. It should also help Smith too, because he can hit Davis running the shallow or the Dig above him.

Only issue is Davis is smart enough to memorize all the different alignments and numbered routes. Not to mention, if they ask him to play inside WR, he has to know those numbers as well. Factor in run blocking assignments, and that's a boat load of info to process.

vidae
08-07-2008, 04:49 PM
This guy is hilarious.

He was a pretty freak TE prospect out of college too. Hope he does something this year.

D-Unit
08-07-2008, 04:54 PM
It's because Martz didn't have the TE potential that he has in Davis. Martz runs alot of mesh concept, and crossing concepts, and so in theory Davis should really bloosom in this system. It should also help Smith too, because he can hit Davis running the shallow or the Dig above him.

Only issue is Davis is smart enough to memorize all the different alignments and numbered routes. Not to mention, if they ask him to play inside WR, he has to know those numbers as well. Factor in run blocking assignments, and that's a boat load of info to process.
Martz never even tried to look for one. I wonder why...

D-Unit
08-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Davis will line up in the slot on many occasions ..
Az Hakir, Dante Hall, Shaun McDonald... Vernon Davis... Like I said... This is gonna be interesting.

One thing Davis has going for him. SF's WRs suck badly.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Martz never even tried to look for one. I wonder why...

Maybe because he had some good WRs there with the Rams. He could very well accomplish the same concepts like Mesh, NCAA, and Drive, but going 3-4 wide instead of using a TE. Now he can use that TE and have him be a mismatch for the Lbs. Worse comes to worse, he is a window dressing route, which will hold the Lbs, for another route being run somewhere else.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
With SF's current QB situation I wouldnt count on him getting alot of balls thrown his way.

PackerLegend
Vernon the same dude who was all happy when Green Bay took AJ Hawk over him because he didnt want to play for us. Well Vern you got it backwards... The entire GB organization is happy they didnt select you because you suck and keep flapping your jaw. Did you ever think to just not say you didnt want to play for GB seeing as they didnt draft you.... and after they didnt is when you brought it up.

no love

Funny bc all we have seen since Martz has arrived is two TE sets, this seems to be our base offense. He has installed less of the 3 wr sets than anything else.

I think like most good coaches, Martz tailors his offense to his players strengths. Thus the heavy emphasis on Frank Gore this year.

SenorGato
08-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Why does it always seem like KW2 is the throw-in elite TE?

I *really* think more people need to see just how sick this guy is. It might erase that "can't block" thing too...he's not dominant but he's better than Gates is as a blocker IMO.

Oh and agreed with anyone who says Davis should shut up and play.

CC.SD
08-07-2008, 05:10 PM
He said this before his rookie year too. "Those guys are OK." Oh man.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Funny bc all we have seen since Martz has arrived is two TE sets, this seems to be our base offense. He has installed less of the 3 wr sets than anything else.

I think like most good coaches, Martz tailors his offense to his players strengths. Thus the heavy emphasis on Frank Gore this year.

You can still run the same concepts with a 2 TE set. And it also helps in running the ball, helping the offensive line out too. Also, from there you can run alot of playaction, and bootlegs too. Just because he has different formations doesn't mean you can't run the same stuff that you used to. I am sure he is going to run the same exact concepts just via different formations, and different personnel. He really is a good OC, just not a good HC, in my opinion, and tends to get carried away passing the ball.

Splat
08-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Vernon Davis's career stats.

72 rec 774 yards TD's 7

Tony Gonzalez's stats just from last year.

99 rec 1,172 yards 5 TD's.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Az Hakir, Dante Hall, Shaun McDonald... Vernon Davis... Like I said... This is gonna be interesting.

One thing Davis has going for him. SF's WRs suck badly.

Davis will be used, I'd be willing to bet. Here's what was put in the latest ESPN Mag...

"Shortly after he was hired, new Niners OC Mike Martz called Vernon Davis to let him know he plans to target the third-year tight end as much as possible. Needless to say, Davis is smitten. "Three words," he says of Martz. "My best friend."

And that's good to hear. I'm a big Vernon fan.

BlindSite
08-07-2008, 05:26 PM
I just which his awesome talent wasn't wasting away on such a bad team, in the interest of highlight reel plays I think he should be traded to Carolina for a can of beans.

D-Unit
08-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Another thing VD needs to realize...

He'll have a pathetic QB no matter who lines up behind center.

08-07-2008, 06:27 PM
To be fair Shaun Hill is atleast half decent. 'Small hands' on the other hand ...

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Theres always J.T. O'Sullivan!

yo123
08-07-2008, 06:30 PM
To be fair Shaun Hill is atleast half decent.

Huh? When did this happen?

D-Unit
08-07-2008, 06:31 PM
SF should've drafted Colt Brennan. He wanted to play there.

08-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Huh? When did this happen?

He did more in three games then 'small hands' did in three seasons. Enough said.

RaiderNation
08-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Good luck Vernon with Alex Smtih throwing you the ball... thats if Alex can throw the ball with his little hands

yo123
08-07-2008, 06:39 PM
He did more in three games then 'small hands' did in three seasons. Enough said.

Doing better than Alex Smith doesn't make you a decent QB.

etk
08-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Is Vernon Davis more talented than all of them? Probably.

Has he proven it? Not even close.

soybean
08-07-2008, 08:19 PM
davis is a bust. there i said it. i don't care how "freakish" he was out of college and you can make excuses about the qb's and supporting cast but fact of the matter is he's just not a very good TE. could that change? probably. will it? probably not.

abaddon41_80
08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
First of all I would like to point out that Alex Smith's hands are normal sized

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/12/13/SPGIEG788D1.DTL

Now as for the subject of Davis I don't think there is anything wrong with a little confidence but I will admit he takes it too far sometimes. Now he could very easily put up 800-900 yards and 8-9 touchdowns this year is Alex Smith stays healthy and Martz uses him like he says he will. However I think a more realistic prediction would be around 700 yards and 5 touchdowns. But that would still put him on the level of other elite tight ends like Cooley and Clark. I mean last year he put up 500 yards and 4 touchdowns in only 14 games with Trent Dilfer throwing him the ball most of the time and Jim Hostler calling the plays. He now has more experience under his belt and the situation around him has drastically improved since last season

Brent
08-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Vernon just likes to talk ****. Would you prefer if he said, "Man, I am going to go out there and try to be the worst player on the field"? And wasnt like 90% of this board in love with him when he was coming out?

nikkayeah
08-08-2008, 12:37 AM
davis is a bust. there i said it. i don't care how "freakish" he was out of college and you can make excuses about the qb's and supporting cast but fact of the matter is he's just not a very good TE. could that change? probably. will it? probably not.

why isn't he? i'd say he is already a top 10 blocker in just his 3rd year in the league. last year he had to play under the worst offensive coordinator of all time with trent dilfer throwing him the ball and still caught 53 passes and 500+ yards. keep in mind that jim hostler kept him in to block over 60% of the time he was on the field.

familyguy555
08-08-2008, 12:58 AM
He better he's on my fantasy team.

Addict
08-08-2008, 04:42 AM
Another thing VD needs to realize...

He'll have a pathetic QB no matter who lines up behind center.

Don't forget Alex Smith's hands aren't even big enough to cup Davis' gargantuan ballsack.

Iamcanadian
08-08-2008, 06:44 AM

I agree, it will be very interesting to see how Martz utilizers Davis since his offense doesn't use a TE a whole lot.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Vernon just likes to talk ****. Would you prefer if he said, "Man, I am going to go out there and try to be the worst player on the field"? And wasnt like 90% of this board in love with him when he was coming out?

relevance? Doesn't really matter what people thought coming out. No one argues that he is isn't still a physical freak, but what has he done with it? People still think he can be good, but to this point he hasn't been. I still expect him to be a real good TE, but he talks like he already is there, which is far from the truth

Addict
08-08-2008, 07:36 AM

he doesn't talk ****, he's talking out of his ass. He has, as of now, done nothing significant in the NFL, so what gives him the right to talk like he's better than Gonzalez, Gates, Winslow and Witten. You can't talk the talk if you have been unable to walk the walk.

Borat
08-08-2008, 10:57 AM
VD is the most overrated player in the NFL right now. He's just not that good.

Gay Ork Wang
08-08-2008, 11:33 AM
What a normal player would say?

"Those guys are all great players, but i think i could play just as well." Bam, no disrespecting the other guys, showed selfconfidence. What he did is just dumb

no love
08-08-2008, 12:11 PM

Wow. Read those last two lines to yourself again and you might want to edit. You totally contradicted yourself by saying that it could probably change but it probably won't.

Bottom line about VD is this. He was drafted based on pure upside. If you don't recall, coming into the year Marcedes Lewis and Leonard Pope were the two top rated TE's in the 06 draft. Everyone knew VD was raw and would take a bit longer to develop. For those kinds of players you have to give them at least a year or two, AND at least two consecutive years in the SAME SYSTEM. Everyone talks about how Alex Smith has had a new coordinator every year, well so has VD.

Also, last year VD was not used in the same way as KWII, Gonzalez or Gates. He was a traditional TE that was not flexed out very often. That said, his stats were very respectable for a traditional TE. If you keep in mind that he has improved every year and is one of the hardest workers on the team, it's only natural that he is going to eventually get better. Davis actually stays out and works on individual drills longer than most other guys on the team and his drive to be great has been talked about by both Nolan and Martz.

bored of education
08-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Tony G's shoe laces> VD

stephenson86
08-08-2008, 12:44 PM
http://www.49ers.com/photos/thumbs/rss-1410-te-vernon-davis-shows-off-h.jpg

what a guy, he can do it

he has to compete with this though

http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/Chris%20Cooley3.jpg

bored of education
08-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Cooley >> VD!

Menardo75
08-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Either way I guess we will find out shortly wont we

LonghornsLegend
08-08-2008, 03:04 PM
It's not that he just hyped himself up, he named the best tight ends in the game right now and said they are 'OK', when your talking big game like that you have to come with it...Winslow Jr talks confident like that, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him call a guy out, but he produces 1100 yd seasons and can line up as a WR and beat any defensive back, right now VD is just fast and huge...He's settin g himself up for alot of attention, and he better step up in a huge way for how he's talking.

He's nowhere close to those other TE's he listed, don't give me that "more talented" stuff because he was drafted higher or ran a faster 40, there is alot more to being a great TE then measurables and athletic ability.

Shiver
08-08-2008, 03:44 PM
I think that coordinators are not given enough credit for adaptability. Martz will make the necessary changes to his playbook and make sure Davis is the number one target in the passing game. You do not become a renowned coordinator by being rigid.

I think the opportunity is there for Davis to be an elite TE; it comes down to how Alex Smith improves, if at all, and if he can master the offense from a mental standpoint.

D-Unit
08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I think that coordinators are not given enough credit for adaptability. Martz will make the necessary changes to his playbook and make sure Davis is the number one target in the passing game. You do not become a renowned coordinator by being rigid.

I think the opportunity is there for Davis to be an elite TE; it comes down to how Alex Smith improves, if at all, and if he can master the offense from a mental standpoint.
Alex has had to learn a new playbook every year since being in the league. That's just too much. He should retire and go into coaching. He knows everyone's playbooks.

When a coordinator has to change/adapt, then he no longer is at his best. He's trying something new that he has no experience in. How things work theoretically versus how they work on the field doesn't always go as planned/hoped.

Now, no one can say that all coordinators are the same. Some adapt better than others... but for a guy like Martz who's now being bounced all over the place... he's obviously not "adapting" very well. Coordinators who don't adapt well, don't hold jobs very long.

BlindSite
08-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Alex Smith should go back to all the playbooks he's had in his time, photocopy the stuff he's got down, the stuff he liked and mesh it into ONE book, give it to Nolan and say "make it happen"

abaddon41_80
08-09-2008, 07:51 AM
That actually sounds like a good idea

ChezPower4
08-09-2008, 11:14 AM
He has the ability to be as good as the elite TEs but he still has to put it all together. With the QB troubles in San Fran I'm gonna say not gonna happen.

Chief49er
08-09-2008, 06:31 PM
He started 14 games last year on the worst offense any of us have seen in a long time.

He got 52 catches with 509 yards, his second year in the NFL. I think that puts him at about 12th for NFL tightends? Not bad for the QB's, for gods sake he had Trent Dilfer most of the year.

I think he can easily be a top 5 tightend this year and should be ranked up there. Will he have a career like Tony has had? Time will tell, but there is nothing wrong with being sure of yourself.

You guys are just haters.

etk
08-09-2008, 09:13 PM
I agree, it will be very interesting to see how Martz utilizers Davis since his offense doesn't use a TE a whole lot.

Davis is athletic enough to play receiver if he needs to....maybe a change of role (Dallas Clark-style) will make him more comfortable. I have little doubt that Martz will get Davis very much involved in the offense (especially with SF's crap Wreceivers), but I do agree that it will be interesting to see just how.

Gay Ork Wang
08-10-2008, 06:51 AM
He started 14 games last year on the worst offense any of us have seen in a long time.

He got 52 catches with 509 yards, his second year in the NFL. I think that puts him at about 12th for NFL tightends? Not bad for the QB's, for gods sake he had Trent Dilfer most of the year.

I think he can easily be a top 5 tightend this year and should be ranked up there. Will he have a career like Tony has had? Time will tell, but there is nothing wrong with being sure of yourself.

Look at Gonzo though with freakin Huard and Croyle

Addict
08-10-2008, 07:07 AM

we never said he'll never be any good, never contested his physical ability. But Davis is running his mouth without any reason or any stats to back up his claims. Shut up or put up, but don't open your mouth before you do anything remarkable.

Winslow did it, we told him off. Now that he's shown he's the real deal, he can make the claims without getting called out for it.

bigbluedefense
08-10-2008, 10:49 AM
I was never the biggest Vernon Davis fan. I felt that his measurables were grossly exaggerated, and the "mismatches" he would create weren't as great as ppl thought. case in point, a TE has to be faster than a LB, bigger than a safety. VD is faster than an LB, but not big enough to gain a significant advantage on the safety. That was my biggest knock on him.

Not to mention he's dumb as an ox. Having that said, he doesn't suck, and still should become a very good TE. Just not a top 3 guy like everyone was making him out to be before he even stepped on the field.

Also, VD can thrive in Martz's system. Martz is gonna use him as a WR basically, it shouldn't be a problem. My issue is, how is Martz gonna run this spread offense with poo in the trenches?

08-10-2008, 11:11 AM
As much talent as Davis possesses it doesn't amount to anything on the field without any adequate QB play which will continue to delay him from elite status in '08 imo. This is as good a system to extract all of his Davis' abilities so we must wait and see how the young, developing OL holds up to get a better sense of whether Martz's plan really fits the strenghts of this offense going forward.

bigbluedefense
08-10-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't see how VD's situation is any different from Tony Gonzalez's. Both have no oline and no qb. and both had piss poor play calling.

Tony catches 99 passes for 1172. Double that of VD.

Its one thing if they had similar numbers, but Tony doubled him. VD has a lot more to prove as a player before he's in any convo regarding elite TEs.

abaddon41_80
08-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't see how VD's situation is any different from Tony Gonzalez's. Both have no oline and no qb. and both had piss poor play calling.

Its one thing if they had similar numbers, but Tony doubled him. VD has a lot more to prove as a player before he's in any convo regarding elite TEs.

It was only Davis' second year, though. Tony G. is a seasoned veteran on top of being a great, athletically gifted tight end

nikkayeah
08-10-2008, 01:20 PM
tony gonzalez was also the top receivers for the chiefs. vd could have been for the niners but jim hostler was too stupid to know that

Sniper
08-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Because of SF's piss-poor offensive line and due to the fact that Davis is an elite blocker, he is often called upon to stay in and block, infinitely moreso than Gonzalez.

Basileus777
08-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Because of SF's piss-poor offensive line and due to the fact that Davis is an elite blocker, he is often called upon to stay in and block, infinitely moreso than Gonzalez.

KC's line was garbage too. And Gonzo is a good blocker as well. The reason that Davis didn't put up the same production as Tony is simple, he isn't nearly as good as him. To star with, Davis isn't close to Gonzalez in route running ability . The only thing he has on him is speed, but Gonzo is also longer, something quite important for a TE. But you can't really compare the two players, Tony Gonzalez is one of the greatest TEs ever to play the game. Vernon Davis is just a raw young player with some potential. If anyone was expecting Vernon Davis to come out and produce at the level of a HOF TE, well then they need to lower their expectations.

Sniper
08-10-2008, 09:59 PM
KC's line was garbage too. And Gonzo is a good blocker as well. The reason that Davis didn't put up the same production as Tony is simple, he isn't nearly as good as him. To star with, Davis isn't close to Gonzalez in route running ability . The only thing he has on him is speed, but Gonzo is also longer, something quite important for a TE. But you can't really compare the two players, Tony Gonzalez is one of the greatest TEs ever to play the game. Vernon Davis is just a raw young player with some potential.

Vernon Davis is a top 3 TE blocker, Tony Gonzalez is most definitely not.

Basileus777
08-10-2008, 10:04 PM

Pass blocking from a TE is never going to be more valuable than an elite TE receiver. If Vernon is more valuable as a pass blocker than as a receiver, that just shows how much he still has to develop.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-10-2008, 10:13 PM
it appears as though this discussion has turned into a Gonzo vs Davis debate. Laughable, i must say, given the past, and current production of both. Not sure what the debate could possibly be for Davis, other than 'did you see his combine numbers!'

BlindSite
08-10-2008, 10:16 PM

Desmond Clark, Jason Whitten, Algae Crumpler, Owen Daniels are all better blockers than Vernon Davis.

PoopSandwich
08-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Kellen Winslow sucks.

nikkayeah
08-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Desmond Clark, Jason Whitten, Algae Crumpler, Owen Daniels are all better blockers than Vernon Davis.

vernon roughs up the defender throughout the whole play and even after. his mindset is to destroy his opponent and he is very successful at that

nikkayeah
08-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Pass blocking from a TE is never going to be more valuable than an elite TE receiver. If Vernon is more valuable as a pass blocker than as a receiver, that just shows how much he still has to develop.

this is only vernon's 3rd year. compare vernon's first 2 with tg's the numbers are remarkably similar

Iamcanadian
08-10-2008, 10:52 PM

Sorry but Martz has quite a reputation for being rigid. He's a system OC who has changed very little since introducing his offensive system to the NFL. He doesn't utilize TE in his offense. Now he might shift Davis outside, he certainly has the speed to play there, but he's not going to be a primary receiver in Martz's system unless Martz plays him as a WR, that's for sure.

Sniper
08-10-2008, 11:50 PM

Erroneous!

awfullyquiet
08-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Sorry but Martz has quite a reputation for being rigid. He's a system OC who has changed very little since introducing his offensive system to the NFL. He doesn't utilize TE in his offense. Now he might shift Davis outside, he certainly has the speed to play there, but he's not going to be a primary receiver in Martz's system unless Martz plays him as a WR, that's for sure.

And that's probably what he will do.

He's better to the niners like that than however they got him now.

Paul
08-11-2008, 02:02 AM
vernon roughs up the defender throughout the whole play and even after. his mindset is to destroy his opponent and he is very successful at that

I'm sorry, but I am not sure if your are trying to pass that as off as an argument to defend Vernon's blocking, but if you are, you may need to go back to the drawing board. I have not seen enough 49er games to judge or comment on his blocking, but there is nothing concrete or substantial enough in that argument to sway my or anyone else's opinion on his blocking abilities. It just sounds like an exaggerated bias opinion.

nikkayeah
08-11-2008, 02:55 AM
I'm sorry, but I am not sure if your are trying to pass that as off as an argument to defend Vernon's blocking, but if you are, you may need to go back to the drawing board. I have not seen enough 49er games to judge or comment on his blocking, but there is nothing concrete or substantial enough in that argument to sway my or anyone else's opinion on his blocking abilities. It just sounds like an exaggerated bias opinion.

vernon goes all out on his opponent regardless of who it is. he even caused a fight with parys haralson because of his fierce blocking. he has a bit of a temper problem though. hopefully he's not gonna knock anybody's head off like steve smith

fenikz
08-11-2008, 03:50 AM
he may be doign his job, but he most certainly isn't an outstanding blocker

abaddon41_80
08-11-2008, 09:36 AM
he may be doign his job, but he most certainly isn't an outstanding blocker

If you don't think so then maybe you need to watch more 49er games. He is easily a top 5-8 blocking tight end

BlindSite
08-11-2008, 05:06 PM
He might be, but he's not better than the guys I listed/

no love
08-13-2008, 04:19 AM
He might be, but he's not better than the guys I listed/

To be fair, with the exception of Owen Daniels both Crumpler and Clark have years of experience over Davis. It's not that great of a comparison.

Also, Daniels has the benefit of being in a scheme that benefits smaller blockers while Davis was often asked to block in-line against DE's and OLB's. With Davis' physical abilities and "want-to" he will develop his blocking.