PDA

View Full Version : Miami's Starting QB?

thebow305
08-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Who will open Week 1 as the Miami Starting QB.

Also, in a response, who do you all think will finish the season as the starter as well.

(I know this should probably have gone in the Team Forum, but I wanted to get opinions from everyone.)

yo123
08-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Josh McCown will probably start the season, and Henne will finish.

MetSox17
08-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I think the biggest question will be, what does it matter?

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-07-2008, 06:53 PM
I think the biggest question will be, what does it matter?Because its funny to watch McClown play.

Staubach12
08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
It'll be Beck. Whether his job will be safe is different.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Dan Marino will be the dolphins QB. After seeing all the pub Brett got he un-retires to promote nutri-system.

BlindSite
08-07-2008, 06:57 PM
McCown then Henne, Pennington imo will end up in Chi town.

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 06:59 PM
McCown then Henne, Pennington imo will end up in Chi town.

you wouldn't find me complaining about that part......Chad with KO backing up him, good enough for me. So he can't throw more than 20 yards down the field, big deal. He won't be a serious **** up like Rexy......

And like I said the first time he tried starting this thread, McCown will start it and Henne will end it.

StrongSide97
08-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Week 1-Josh McCown

Week 10-Chad Henne

End of Season-No clue...

They'll end up starting 4 different QB's this season, weather someone gets hurt or they do in fact sign Pennington.

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
They'll end up starting 4 different QB's this season, weather someone gets hurt or they do in fact sign Pennington.

4? If they sign Pennington, I'd be willing to bet that one of McCown/Beck gets cut.

I think we see 3 starters max....McCown for a few weeks until the team crashes, Beck for a little while then Henne in the end to get him some experience.

I think it could just go from McCown to Henne though

Dr. Gonzo
08-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I just can't see them cutting Beck after they drafted him so high a year ago. Sure it was a different regime that drafted him and it was a really bad pick but still.

Malaka
08-07-2008, 07:36 PM
If Pennington signs right now, I think he will be the starter because what is the whole point of signing Pennington if not to start him and Beck will take over, and Henne will get some experience at the end once Beck proves he isn't the future at QB, and for some experience.

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 07:37 PM
I just can't see them cutting Beck after they drafted him so high a year ago. Sure it was a different regime that drafted him and it was a really bad pick but still.

well, there aren't even like, minor ties to that regime. Parcells did a clean sweep. Coaches, GM....everyone. If they signed Chad, they'd probably dangle Beck as a trade option for a little while if they choose to part ways with him instead of McCown, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if Beck was just straight up cut.

draftguru151
08-07-2008, 07:39 PM
I think it will be Pennington/McCown and then Henne. Beck has been struggling all camp and the new guys really have no loyalty to him. I expect 3 different guys to start a preseason game though.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
08-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Should've taken Brady Quinn, wow what a screw up he falls right to you and you don't take him.

StrongSide97
08-07-2008, 09:22 PM
I doubt they would cut anyone after signing Pennington.

They just signed McCown in the off-season
They haven't even given Beck a real shot and he's only a second year man
Chad Henne is obvious

They could sign Pennington obviously, but if they do it will be a horrible move. Pennington should only be used as a back-up right now, and if Miami were to add him, then they would only be adding to the mess that is huge as is.

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I doubt they would cut anyone after signing Pennington.

They just signed McCown in the off-season
They haven't even given Beck a real shot and he's only a second year man
Chad Henne is obvious

They could sign Pennington obviously, but if they do it will be a horrible move. Pennington should only be used as a back-up right now, and if Miami were to add him, then they would only be adding to the mess that is huge as is.

That is...unless your Chicago.....heh....

I don't think it would be too bad of move for them. It was at the tail end of the Parcells regime that he was drafted and they have shown some initial interest. I think he would be a short term improvement as a starter and could be moved to back up Henne in the future.

And I don't think it would be out of the question for McCown or Beck to be cut.

Crickett
08-07-2008, 09:30 PM
you wouldn't find me complaining about that part......Chad with KO backing up him, good enough for me. So he can't throw more than 20 yards down the field, big deal. He won't be a serious **** up like Rexy......

The first time you see Chad Pennington complete three consecutive passes only to have the Bears punt on 4th and 2 will change your mind.

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
The first time you see Chad Pennington complete three consecutive passes only to have the Bears punt on 4th and 2 will change your mind.

Its far, far, FAR better than Rexy throwing two "Holy jesus WTbloodyF" passes way down the field and then throwing a pick on 3rd down setting up the other team at the Chicago 30 and forcing our tired defense to trudge back onto the field and defend the bad field positioning.........

Brent
08-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I doubt Noodle Arm signs with the Dolphins. I voted Chad Henne. While he wont be in Week 1, I think if they're bad enough during the year, he will get a shot.

Malaka
08-07-2008, 11:21 PM
The year of 07' draft I moved from New York to Miami, and I was watching the draft and when they took Ted Ginn Jr. over Brady Quinn I rofled. Brady Quinn arguably could have been the first pick, and right now the Fin's would have a face of their franchise, but instead they took a WR, who has done well as a returner but hasn't done much as WR, to be fair it is only his second year now.

Chad Pennington will start if signed, like I said before their is almost no other reason to sign him and put him on the bench. Henne will start by the end of the year no matter who will start at the beginning, and Beck will go nowhere honestly in the NFL, keep in mind he is already 27...

Brent
08-07-2008, 11:45 PM
keep in mind he is already 27...
That's what happens when those kids go on their Mormon mission trip. That's kind of how it is with just about all their players.

toonsterwu
08-08-2008, 03:14 AM
If he signs, I'll go with Pennington getting in and learning enough to take the reins of a play it safe offense. I can't imagine Pennington really would be able to go into a much better situation, though, in regards to Parcells being in his corner, which is always a boost. If Pennington signs, I look for them to somewhat showcase McCown or Beck and ship one of them off when an injury happens (Beck probably would get more in return). I think Henne starts the year at number 3, perhaps moves up to 2 at some point midseason. Whether or not he ends the year as the starter probably will depend on how well Chad Pennington plays.

Now, if Pennington doesn't sign, I would guess McCown, but that's somewhat random.

Bills2083
08-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I think they should go with Henne. Miami is obviously in a rebuilding mode, so they're not ready to make a deep run in the playoffs. By the time they're ready to do this, McCown will be somewhere in his 30s, probably ready to retire. Then, you're going to have an inexperienced guy in Beck or Henne come in and this could ruin their offense. So I think they should just start with Henne.

I hope they start Beck though. He is horrible :D

drowe
08-08-2008, 09:17 AM
if it were a normal team, i'd say they HAVE TO give the QB they picked in the top 40 in 2007 a fair chance before they move on. so, for me, it has to be Beck at least at the beginning of the season.

bored of education
08-08-2008, 09:17 AM
If he signs, I'll go with Pennington getting in and learning enough to take the reins of a play it safe offense. I can't imagine Pennington really would be able to go into a much better situation, though, in regards to Parcells being in his corner, which is always a boost. If Pennington signs, I look for them to somewhat showcase McCown or Beck and ship one of them off when an injury happens (Beck probably would get more in return). I think Henne starts the year at number 3, perhaps moves up to 2 at some point midseason. Whether or not he ends the year as the starter probably will depend on how well Chad Pennington plays.

Now, if Pennington doesn't sign, I would guess McCown, but that's somewhat random.

whats up toonster

i would go pennington as well if he is signed

Menardo75
08-08-2008, 02:57 PM
It will probably be McCown he gives them the best chance to win not saying that it's great but it is the best

EvilMonkey
08-08-2008, 09:10 PM
looks like it'll be pennington
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3526489

StrongSide97
08-08-2008, 09:20 PM
looks like it'll be pennington
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3526489

Worthless move if you ask me...a waste of nearly 12 million dollars.

BeerBaron
08-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Worthless move if you ask me...a waste of nearly 12 million dollars.

Eh....doesn't surprise me too much. Parcells and crew want to get off on the right foot....better chance of that with Pennington than say McCown imo.

I bet Beck gets cut now. Maybe McCown.....but they have no ties to Beck and could care less i believe. Wouldn't surprise me a bit now

thebow305
08-09-2008, 12:47 AM
I guess I will have to say Pennington now. But I also think Henne will finish the season as the starter.

BlindSite
08-09-2008, 02:22 AM
I thought the chiefs might have shown some interest because of the Herm connection, I guess not.

LuCKy_JuNiOr
08-09-2008, 02:40 AM
I think it has to be Pennington, with him signing, he instantly becomes the best QB on that team.

eaglesfan_45
08-09-2008, 02:42 AM
OOO! Another Vegas Resident! OOO!

Oh, and I agree.

Addict
08-09-2008, 05:39 AM
I think it has to be Pennington, with him signing, he instantly becomes the best QB on that team.

which says everything about the Dolphins' qbs and very little about Pennington.

Splat
08-09-2008, 10:13 AM
I thought the chiefs might have shown some interest because of the Herm connection, I guess not.

Rumor in KC was KC was his second choice but he has had a better chance to start in Miami as well as playing The NY Brett's twice a year.

The Chiefs for sure had an interest but he would have been a back up here the Chiefs are bound and determined to see what Croyle can do he looked pretty good vs Da Bears.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 10:17 AM

I dunno. Pennington is a pretty good quarterback. Sure, he has durability concerns and he wouldn't fit into an offense predicated on the deep ball, but he's nothing if not efficient. I mean, this is a guy who had, what, a 68% completion percentage last year? Also, if I remember correctly, in terms of passer rating he's one of the top guys in the league.

ChezPower4
08-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Eh....doesn't surprise me too much. Parcells and crew want to get off on the right foot....better chance of that with Pennington than say McCown imo.

I bet Beck gets cut now. Maybe McCown.....but they have no ties to Beck and could care less i believe. Wouldn't surprise me a bit now

I agree, doesn't look good for Beck. Beck wasn't Parcells QB, and Parcells like to have QBs that he likes running his teams and he drafted Chad so this comes as no surprise to me.

derza222
08-09-2008, 10:37 AM
I dunno. Pennington is a pretty good quarterback. Sure, he has durability concerns and he wouldn't fit into an offense predicated on the deep ball, but he's nothing if not efficient. I mean, this is a guy who had, what, a 68% completion percentage last year? Also, if I remember correctly, in terms of passer rating he's one of the top guys in the league.

Although his ankle being better now will help a little and supposedly he has a little more zip on his passes, his lack of arm strength really hurts him when it comes to turning the ball over, especially late in games. One minute he's driving the team down the field down 7 or less for a potential game tying/winning score, and the next a corner jumps an out down the sideline and is running it back the other way for 6. When he's forced to keep it on the sidelines and defenses know he will be, I almost knew the turnover was coming late in games. That said he's a great guy and a good game manager, plus he got a really rough deal with the Jets this offseason. Hopefully he finds some success down there, just not against us.

Geo
08-09-2008, 11:11 AM
So Teddy Ginn won't get a chance to do much as a receiver now. Derek Hagan might though, if he can catch the ball.

Don Vito
08-09-2008, 11:16 AM
So Teddy Ginn won't get a chance to do much as a receiver now. Derek Hagan might though, if he can catch the ball.

Good point. Pennington wouldn't be able to let Ginn do what he does best and that is stretch the field because of his lack of arm strength. I think Pennington will start, but the other three options would be better for this team because they are rebuilding and need to let the young guys develop. I know it will be tough to throw in a rookie (Henne) or a second year guy
(Beck), but neither of them are really raw QBs. That is how I see it anyways.

yourfavestoner
08-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Although his ankle being better now will help a little and supposedly he has a little more zip on his passes, his lack of arm strength really hurts him when it comes to turning the ball over, especially late in games. One minute he's driving the team down the field down 7 or less for a potential game tying/winning score, and the next a corner jumps an out down the sideline and is running it back the other way for 6. When he's forced to keep it on the sidelines and defenses know he will be, I almost knew the turnover was coming late in games. That said he's a great guy and a good game manager, plus he got a really rough deal with the Jets this offseason. Hopefully he finds some success down there, just not against us.

This is actually a pretty insightful post. Most people think that arm strength only affects a quarterback in his ability to drive the ball down the field. Realistically, though, where arm strength (or lack thereof) comes into play when a quarterback has to throw outside the hashmarks, and in Penny's case, he's pretty much incapable of it.

LuCKy_JuNiOr
08-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Agreed. My post wasn't necessarily stating that Pennington was "good." I still think he sucks, (That's why they went for a QB and dropped him.) but he does become the best QB on the worst team.

RaiderNation
08-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Pennington at the beginning. Them either Henne or Beck at the end

njx9isafagggg
08-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Miami is turning into Tampa Bay south.

Iamcanadian
08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Pennington will obviously be Miami's starter, they aren't paying him all that money to ride the bench.
While Pennington's arm is rather mundane, I believe he holds the highest completion percentage in the history of the league at over 66%. He's a very solid timing passer who throws the ball extremely accurately and I think he'll improve Miami immensely if he can stay healthy. He could easily be Miami's starter for the next 2 years. He has shown in the past that he can throw the deep patterns quite effectively even with his arm. His main problem is threading the ball into tight quarters when a receiver is only marginally open.