PDA

View Full Version : sigh....Chris Williams possibly done for year....

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 07:18 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/07/chris-williams-out-for-the-year/

You've got to be ******** me. Well I suddenly became much more pessimistic about the season if these rumors are true.

TitleTown088
08-07-2008, 07:20 PM
That obviosuly isn't good news for da Bears, that offense cannot afford any injuries.

Gay Ork Wang
08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
-.- thats ******* ridiculous.

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 07:24 PM
No wonder we're thinking of bring Fred Miller back.....god damn it!! This years a waste now. I was optimistic that health on both sides of the ball could make us a .500 team but this is already a HUGE blow..........

Williams is heading down the Marc Colombo path I'm afraid...

brat316
08-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I thinking i am reconsidering Matt Forte as ORTY

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I thinking i am reconsidering Matt Forte as ORTY

I don't think Williams was much for run blocking to begin with, we might actually be better at that with St. Clair in or Tait moved back....but our QB's are doomed with Allen and Kampman getting to run wild past whoever will be there trying to pass block.......

Gay Ork Wang
08-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Seems like they are saying its an injury unrelated to the one before the draft and it seems like it is as minor as it can get.

I hope so

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Seems like they are saying its an injury unrelated to the one before the draft and it seems like it is as minor as it can get.

I hope so

I really hope so too.....I know PFT can be wrong and I'm hoping this is one of those times, but it scares the bejeesus out of me. We need him in and healthy and learning....

Geo
08-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Wow, that's surprising if true. Which we don't know at all given the particular source.

Maybe Dwight Freeney and Marcus Howard help solve the Bears' quarterback competition by taking one out Week 1.

Gay Ork Wang
08-07-2008, 07:38 PM
I really hope so too.....I know PFT can be wrong and I'm hoping this is one of those times, but it scares the bejeesus out of me. We need him in and healthy and learning....
well thats what they just said on tv

SFbear
08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4972

Herniated disc. Went under surgery in the last 24 hours. He's probably done.... sigh.

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 08:00 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4972

Herniated disc. Went under surgery in the last 24 hours. He's probably done.... sigh.

Well....at least the Chiefs are having bad luck with Albert too. Kind of softens the blow of us passing on him a little bit since they're both hurt atm.

Race for the Heisman
08-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Well **** me. We can probably start contemplating top 10 picks right now, considering what this does for us depth-wise.

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Well **** me. We can probably start contemplating top 10 picks right now, considering what this does for us depth-wise.

yeah.....yeah.......Likely not top 5 as I think our defense is worth 5 wins but him being out hurts us bad. I hope its not season ending....I really do....but even him missing a lot of camp hurts his chances of learning and contributing this season anyway.

StrongSide97
08-07-2008, 09:42 PM
If it were any other injury, I wouldn't worry that much. However, his back is definitely more to worry about throughout his career.

I know herniated discs usually are one and done with one spot, but don't they tend to appear in different spots if you've had one before?

bearfan
08-07-2008, 10:26 PM
They said that it was as minor as it gets (they being announcers during the game). I hope he isnt out the season, but its not like we had seen the guy play so we cant say that he would have improved the overall play of the offensive line. Just throwing that out there, he would have helped yes, but we were still doomed.

Lets bring in Shane Olivea, he is suspended the 1st 2 games I believe, but he played on the Chargers, and maybe a suitable replacement.

BeerBaron
08-07-2008, 10:30 PM
They said that it was as minor as it gets (they being announcers during the game). I hope he isnt out the season, but its not like we had seen the guy play so we cant say that he would have improved the overall play of the offensive line. Just throwing that out there, he would have helped yes, but we were still doomed.

Lets bring in Shane Olivea, he is suspended the 1st 2 games I believe, but he played on the Chargers, and maybe a suitable replacement.

Olivea was a RT there and was benched even before anything suspension related took place....I'd be wary. Better than bringing back Fred Miller though. Much, much better than that.....

toonsterwu
08-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Ugh, this isn't pretty, and it actually got me to check in on NFLDC during the summer. Williams' different leg lengths won't help long term either, as it has the potential to increase any wear and tear that might happen.

I didn't think we were a playoff team this year anyways, but if Chris is out for the year ...

I wonder what the backup plans are? Do they move John Tait back to the left side (he is the best on paper option) and go with St. Clair or someone at RT?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Someone is definitely saving face here.. Could that be Jerry Angelo? You know the guy that doesn't hardly ever show his face during brutal seasons, but is all over the media when this team is successful? Jerry Angelo cannot draft offense.

Of course, this was a pre-existing injury.

Let me get this straight, in his first practice of the year he herniates a disc in his back? Uh, yeah.. right.. Which doctor cleared this guy medically? Where did he go to school? Joliet Junior College? What a midget.

Teams dropped this cream puff from their draft board before the draft! RED FLAG?!

It's obvious Jerry Angelo is going to spin this saying it was a fresh injury.

Jerry might as well start getting medicals on Michael Oher.. It's going to be a LONG year.

Worst offense ever assembled on paper, anyone?

#1 WR - Brandon Lloyd - a guy who could not get on the field for a team with a dysfunctional WR core.
LT - John St Claire? Enough said.
LG - ? Who is it? Metcalf? Didn't he just have knee surgery? And doesn't he suck?
QB - Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton? Nice.
& a rookie RB from Conference USA as your starting tail back.

What a complete cluster****. I hope some *** die hard Bears fan pillages Jerry Angelo's ass for this abortion of an offense he assembled.

Not to mention we have the worst offensive cordinator in football running our offense.

If Fred Miller is resigned and starting on this OL I will completely lose it and go on a fvucking rampage.

bearfan
08-08-2008, 07:08 AM
The line did a decent job last night IMO. KCs pass rush isnt the best, but for the most part the QB was able to throw the ball.

BeerBaron
08-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Let me get this straight, in his first practice of the year he herniates a disc in his back? Uh, yeah.. right.. Which doctor cleared this guy medically? Where did he go to school? Joliet Junior College? What a midget.

"Hi everybody!"

"Hi Dr. Nick!"

I believe he went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical School btw....

And heres more info on it:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/08/chris-williams-injury-confirmed/

iowatreat54
08-08-2008, 10:18 AM
he may have had a pre-existing back injury, but didn't they say during the game that in 3 years starting at Vandy he never missed a practice or a game? If so, why would the Bears have any reason to believe he was an injury risk? Sure they prolly new he had something minor wrong with his back, but if a player hasn't missed a game in 3 years I'm not really second guessing or immediately taking him off my draft board...

SFbear
08-08-2008, 10:20 AM
I wonder what the backup plans are? Do they move John Tait back to the left side (he is the best on paper option) and go with St. Clair or someone at RT?

Fred ****** Miller back at RT. The wheels are in motion. Its just a matter of him wanting to come back.

Does everybody think the organization is just saving face by calling it a new injury?

regoob2
08-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I would rather have St Clair at RT and Tait back at LT.

Gay Ork Wang
08-08-2008, 10:22 AM
"Hi everybody!"

"Hi Dr. Nick!"

I believe he went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical School btw....

And heres more info on it:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/08/chris-williams-injury-confirmed/
More Like:

"Hi Mr. Williams, do you have any problems?"

"Not really!"

"Okay Your cleared!"

iowatreat54
08-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I would rather have St Clair at RT and Tait back at LT.

yea but they really don't want to do that after having Tait get back to playing RT all offseason, he said he really doesn't want to have to stop and start re-adjusting to LT unless it's the absolute last resort, which obviously it would be, but the Bears prolly want to try and find other possibilities first

drowe
08-08-2008, 10:26 AM
What a complete cluster****. I hope some *** die hard Bears fan pillages Jerry Angelo's ass for this abortion of an offense he assembled.

oh, this is almost sig worthy!

seriously though..sucks about Williams. i hate seeing first round draft picks going down before their first year. hated seeing Greenway get hurt too.

Race for the Heisman
08-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I thought Olivea signed with the Giants?

Gay Ork Wang
08-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I thought Olivea signed with the Giants?
i think he did

no love
08-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Someone is definitely saving face here.. Could that be Jerry Angelo? You know the guy that doesn't hardly ever show his face during brutal seasons, but is all over the media when this team is successful? Jerry Angelo cannot draft offense.

Of course, this was a pre-existing injury.

Teams dropped this cream puff from their draft board before the draft! RED FLAG?!

It's obvious Jerry Angelo is going to spin this saying it was a fresh injury.

Jerry might as well start getting medicals on Michael Oher.. It's going to be a LONG year.

Worst offense ever assembled on paper, anyone?

#1 WR - Brandon Lloyd - a guy who could not get on the field for a team with a dysfunctional WR core.
LT - John St Claire? Enough said.
LG - ? Who is it? Metcalf? Didn't he just have knee surgery? And doesn't he suck?
QB - Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton? Nice.
& a rookie RB from Conference USA as your starting tail back.

Not to mention we have the worst offensive cordinator in football running our offense.

If Fred Miller is resigned and starting on this OL I will completely lose it and go on a fvucking rampage.

On the bright side...you should have drafted Mendenhall.

iowatreat54
08-08-2008, 12:38 PM

not really, we have Forte who has looked pretty good so far for a 2nd round pick...no one is really upset with our starting RB spot as of now

regoob2
08-08-2008, 12:41 PM
**** mendenhall. This year was a waste anyway. Cheers to 2010!

Geo
08-08-2008, 01:00 PM
I think it should be said that, even assuming that Williams is out for the year which we do not know is the case, this injury doesn't mean he can't be a great pick for the Bears from 2009 and on.

Unless I'm mistaken, this isn't a Charles Spencer situation where an injury put his career in jeopardy, you know? The medical staff discovered the herniated disk, either in their recent follow-up examination or before, and surgically attended to the issue. He now has to heal up.

MidwayMonster31
08-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Well said Geo. Rookies get hurt more often, which is one of the many things that makes the draft an impossible science.
Williams even said that he could play through it if it was in the regular season. I think that giving him the surgery now would prevent more problems down the road.

Gay Ork Wang
08-08-2008, 01:09 PM
let us hope for the best

awfullyquiet
08-08-2008, 02:17 PM
tillman came back in three months. not a full out disaster.

Gay Ork Wang
08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
i hope he turns out like Tillman did

BeerBaron
08-08-2008, 02:28 PM
i hope he turns out like Tillman did

that would be badass....Even if he's just an average NFL LT, I would take it. I mean, I hope he does better but even that would be decent.

I'm reading more and more today that the Bears are playing this up like its not a big deal and I hope their right, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they're just trying to save face....

iowatreat54
08-08-2008, 02:59 PM
that would be badass....Even if he's just an average NFL LT, I would take it. I mean, I hope he does better but even that would be decent.

I'm reading more and more today that the Bears are playing this up like its not a big deal and I hope their right, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they're just trying to save face....

most likely saving face, and most fans will overreact mainly because of how the media will portray the whole thing...but it's not like it is a serious/career threatening injury...even if he does miss this whole season, which would kinda suck, it's not like he alone would bring us a Super Bowl and I'd much rather make sure he takes his time and is healthy for the future than to rush him back

also, your sig on wisdom teeth is lame, I got mine out on a Friday and was back at work the following Monday and started eating solids (albeit softer solids) by mid week...you just decided to trade in for a vagina before you got yours pulled ;)

BeerBaron
08-08-2008, 03:16 PM
also, your sig on wisdom teeth is lame, I got mine out on a Friday and was back at work the following Monday and started eating solids (albeit softer solids) by mid week...you just decided to trade in for a vagina before you got yours pulled ;)

yeah well you must have lucked out is all I have to say....mine completely kicked my ass and over a week later, I had to go back in because my gums around my bottom teether were still swollen up so far I couldn't bite down all the way. This whole thing has sucked badly for me....

Menardo75
08-08-2008, 03:18 PM
That sucks guys bad luck

bearfan
08-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Williams out 10-12 weeks.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080808-chicago-bears-chris-williams-back,1,4431087.story

Williams was told following the procedure that he should expect to be out 10 to 12 weeks, a source said Friday. The Bears are idle Oct. 26 -- just before the 12-week mark -- before beginning the second half of the season at home against the Lions.

BeerBaron
08-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Williams out 10-12 weeks.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080808-chicago-bears-chris-williams-back,1,4431087.story

boy...I suppose it could be worse. I guess its best to get him fixed up now and miss most of his rookie year than risk hurting it further and miss years later in this career.

Probably means we're bringing back Fred Miller for sure though

MidwayMonster31
08-08-2008, 05:13 PM
That's really not that bad. If it takes 12 weeks, that would be the beginning of November, week 9 against Detroit. He misses the first 7 games. I expected 4 months. I think it's safe to say that they dodged a bullet.

Geo
08-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Assuming he's healthy for the second half of the season, that is half a season to get some valuable experience in as a rookie left tackle. But to keep him on the roster until then is asking a lot, and certainly hoping injuries don't strike at thin positions. It will be interesting to see what the Bears do, if they go ahead and put him on injured reserve or not. If he is on IR, he can't practice with the team but he can attend meetings.

BeerBaron
08-08-2008, 05:18 PM
That's really not that bad. If it takes 12 weeks, that would be the beginning of November, week 9 against Detroit. He misses the first 7 games. I expected 4 months. I think it's safe to say that they dodged a bullet.

lol, dunno about dodging it...this still really sucks. They got grazed by it though.

Now, even if he comes back healthy, I'm not sure we'll see him this year. If we're really bad off by then (definite possibility) he could get some garbage time games but even then, it might be most wise just to let him take the whole year off. Take in all the mental aspects of the game he can and then let him start anew next season

bearfan
08-08-2008, 05:27 PM
I think we should let him start playing starting the wild card game ;)

mikehop05
08-08-2008, 05:30 PM
tough break guys i was really high on williams and was looking forward to seeing what he could do this year

bearfan
08-08-2008, 05:31 PM
You will see in the playoffs

BRAVEHEART
08-08-2008, 05:31 PM
As a Lions fan, I feel sorry for you guys. Hopefully you guys can beat Minny for us this year.

bearfan
08-08-2008, 05:32 PM
We will in divisionals

MidwayMonster31
08-08-2008, 05:34 PM
lol, dunno about dodging it...this still really sucks. They got grazed by it though.That's a good point, the bullet still went through the chest, but not in the heart or lungs.

Now, even if he comes back healthy, I'm not sure we'll see him this year. If we're really bad off by then (definite possibility) he could get some garbage time games but even then, it might be most wise just to let him take the whole year off. Take in all the mental aspects of the game he can and then let him start anew next seasonI would anticipate that they would bring him along slowly. They would make sure he knows the scheme before using him at left tackle. The depth of the line was always questionable, now we're back to where we started last year.

Race for the Heisman
08-08-2008, 09:16 PM
The way I see it, if we are somehow competitive by the time he might be able to return then there would really be no reason to rush him back. If we are floundering then we have the same deal. No reason to force him back early if we are only playing for respect.

Worst case scenario (maybe, at least for Williams) is the Bears treading water and hoping he can help push us over the top and maybe get a wild card berth. At this point, all I'm interested in is the long term future of the team; next year's record isn't important.

Smokey Joe
08-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I think it would be very stupid not to place him on IR. This will ensure he gets healthy and let him learn the scheme better.

I will give Angelo and the FO the benefit of the doubt and believe this is a completely different injury then the report about his back before the draft, but to be honest, I have a hard time believing that these 2 are unrelated. If they are related, this was one of the worst picks we have ever made, IMO.

Bearsfan123
08-08-2008, 11:38 PM
It is unfortunate, but with this injury, Beekman has been brought to the forefront as our young guard. Versus KC he didnt look too bad. Pretty good pass protection, below average run blocking but for now not too bad. I wish Williams well and cant wait to get a look at him as our tackle, but for now rest is best.

Borat
08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Tough break. I hate seeing rookies go down early with injuries. I think you guys definitely will put him on IR. O-line cohesion is super important. Just throwing him in there in the second half of the season without him getting practice time with his linemates would be a big mistake.

ChezPower4
08-09-2008, 11:41 AM
This is really bad new for the Bears and an unfortunate set back for the offense and for Chris Williams. Hopefully this will be something that does not affect him his whole career. He's a very promising young tackle.

iloxygenil
08-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Well, look at the REAL bright side. The kid is going to get to come back, you'll get him in on some games that don't matter, get a top 5-10 pick and be looking at the possibility of Matt Stafford as your QB. You don't have a QB right now worth anything, so anything would be better than that, but here's to hoping Williams gets better...I really was growing more fond of him watching him maul people with his nasty demeanor.

BeerBaron
08-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Well, look at the REAL bright side. The kid is going to get to come back, you'll get him in on some games that don't matter, get a top 5-10 pick and be looking at the possibility of Matt Stafford as your QB. You don't have a QB right now worth anything, so anything would be better than that, but here's to hoping Williams gets better...I really was growing more fond of him watching him maul people with his nasty demeanor.

problem is taking a rookie QB like that is basically saying "screw the next 2-3 seasons while we develop him." Its a necessary part of developing a good QB to help your team win but I have to wonder if Lovie and JA have 2-3 years of leash left.......

Plus, I think our defense will keep us from being a truly terrible team. The D was slaughtered with injuries last year and we still managed to go 7-9. With them all healthy, and even with a lousy offense, I can't see us doing any worse than 5 wins which may put us out of the running for a top QB anyway.

Smokey Joe
08-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Caleb Hanie is our future... the man is quite simply a stud.

awfullyquiet
08-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Caleb Hanie is our future... the man is quite simply a stud.

it's true.

he looks so comfortable... if this is true. kieper is the true mystic. plain and simple.

bearsfan_51
08-10-2008, 10:23 AM
All praise be to the Bears 3rd string quarterback.

iowatreat54
08-10-2008, 11:40 AM
All praise be to the Bears 3rd string quarterback.

there's a reason we cut the other guy competing for 3rd string so early, it's because Lovie and Turner knew Hanie is the truth, they also knew our left side will be **** on the OL so they are waiting for Freeney to bust through and knock Orton and Grossman out for the season on consecutive plays first week