PDA

View Full Version : Brian Cushing and Rey Maualuga

Bills2083
08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Where do you think they'll go in the draft next year, and can Maualuga play OLB?

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-08-2008, 11:32 AM
I think Maualuga will be a top 15 pick next year.I think he could play OLB but hes best at MLB.
If Cushing can stay healthy this year top 25.

indyfan1985
08-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I think the Titans will desperately try and get Rey Maulauga. They have needed to draft another stud LB for some time and I could see them drafting top 10 being in the range to get him.

no love
08-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Rey Could play OLB, but it's plays away from his strengths. He is a much better downhill player and putting him in space will expose him in the NFL. Better off letting him attack the line of scrimmage.

Cigaro
08-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Maualuga to the Dolphins, Cushing to the Browns.

Addict
08-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Maualuga to the Dolphins, Cushing to the Browns.

I thought Cushing would make a pass-rushing linebacker in the NFL, most likely in the 3-4. Don't the Browns already have Kam Wimbley?

Cigaro
08-08-2008, 12:27 PM
I thought Cushing would make a pass-rushing linebacker in the NFL, most likely in the 3-4. Don't the Browns already have Kam Wimbley?

Opposite of him is 36 year old Willie McGinest. He'll likely retire this year, so they'll need another OLB.

vidae
08-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Rey top 10, Cushing first round.

yourfavestoner
08-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Maualaga reminds me of a young Jeremiah Trotter and Cushing reminds me of Bobby Carpenter.
It is what it is.

Bills2083
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the help. Do any of you think Cushing could play in a cover-2 scheme? I ask this because Crowell has had reoccuring knee injury, and this is the final year of his contract.

yourfavestoner
08-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the help. Do any of you think Cushing could play in a cover-2 scheme? I ask this because Crowell has had reoccuring knee injury, and this is the final year of his contract.

I can't really see that at all. Cushing is a guy who is at his best moving forward and being a disruptor. He's a Sam backer, through and through.

Staubach12
08-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Rey top 10, Cushing first round.

Exactly. Maualuga is (along with Pat Willis) the best ILB prospect in a very very long time.

no love
08-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Exactly. Maualuga is (along with Pat Willis) the best ILB prospect in a very very long time.

Hm. I suppose you could say that. Depends on your definition of a long time.

I would actually think that in a 3-4 defense Maualuga is a better fit for the TED backer, while Willis is a better Mike. I really hope the 49ers get to draft him next year. That would instantly make every running back in the NFC wet their pants.

eaglesfan_45
08-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Rey is a Junior Seau clone. Rey is a top 10 pick right now.

Cushing is a 4-3 LB through and through, he isn't a 3-4 OLB like many are saying. He is injury prone but he has a lot of natural talent, so I say late 1st early second for him.

keylime_5
08-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Cushing in a 3-4 would be better suited for the ILB spot, at least in the NFL's 3-4 defenses. He could bring some pass rush from there which is invaluable in that defense where you would be able to disguise the blitzes even more. He could be a LOLB but ILB is better for him. Similar to Bobby Carpenter who was better pass rusher than Cushing is in college.

BRAVEHEART
08-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Rey is a Junior Seau clone. Rey is a top 10 pick right now.

Cushing is a 4-3 LB through and through, he isn't a 3-4 OLB like many are saying. He is injury prone but he has a lot of natural talent, so I say late 1st early second for him.

You couldn't be more wrong, bub. Cushing is at his best as a 3-4 LB ,4-3 DE/LB hybrid. The thing that makes Cush an elite prospect is that he has the size, speed, and skills to play in both a 4-3 or a 3-4.

Bills2083
08-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Since Maualuga is a MLB and Cushing is better suited for a 3-4 scheme, who is a player in the draft who would be a good SLB in a cover-2 scheme?

BRAVEHEART
08-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Since Maualuga is a MLB and Cushing is better suited for a 3-4 scheme, who is a player in the draft who would be a good SLB in a cover-2 scheme?

Maybe Derry Beckwith, Gerald McRath, Marcus freeman?

eaglesfan_45
08-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Gerald McRath, Sean Witherspoon, Anthony Heygood, Maurice Crum Jr., Reggie Carter, James Laurinaitis, Darry Beckwith, Dannell Ellerbe, Darryl Sharpton, Myron Rolle, Taylor Mays, Nic Harris.

There are a ton of late-round guys as well that fit the cover-2.

CJSchneider
08-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I had Maualuga and Cushing going 8th and 16th respectivly in my pre-season mock. I know Maualuga could play OLB, but I say keep him in the middle and let him be a defensive giant.

StrongSide97
08-08-2008, 07:03 PM
I've been debating who is my top ranked senior in this years draft. It's been between Maualuga, Laurinaitis and Oher. I think it will end up being Maualuga, basically because he has the chance to be so versatile in the NFL and his ability to change a game at any moment in the game with his various abilities. He's a definite Top 3-5 pick if you ask me.

On Cushing, I've recently been changing my mind on his future in the NFL. I think Cushing could be one of the best workout warriors of the class and he as well could end up being a Top 10 pick come April.

Babylon
08-08-2008, 08:17 PM
To me Mauluuga is a run stopper who is going to have to learn to pass cover if he wants to stay on the field at the next level. Cushing needs to stay healthy and if he does i think he has more pro potential than Rey.

BRAVEHEART
08-08-2008, 08:34 PM
To me Mauluuga is a run stopper who is going to have to learn to pass cover if he wants to stay on the field at the next level. Cushing needs to stay healthy and if he does i think he has more pro potential than Rey.

nail on the head.

btw, Rey isn't as bad in pass coverage as people seem to believe, but that's a fair analysis. I guarantee that Cush has the better workout numbers (easily). Cush could probably have better numbers than Taylor Mays.

Hines
08-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I like Maualuga so much I would hope the Steelers draft him in the first round if he is available. He is so fierce and intimidating that I could see him having a Patrick Willis type of rookie season, even though P Willie is way better. Cushing IMO, will only be a situational pass rusher. He can not stay healthy. I like Cushing though, both are realy, really bad boys.

Race for the Heisman
08-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Regardless of whatever is made of Maualuga's ability to play the pass, I think the simple fact that everyone has questioned that particular talent of his could hurt him. First round linebackers are three-down linebackers. It might be different if he's drafted by 3-4 team, but I think the fact that he's a senior who could have left with what is seen as an obvious flaw needing refinement could lead to him sliding a bit.

thebow305
08-09-2008, 12:46 AM
You couldn't be more wrong, bub. Cushing is at his best as a 3-4 LB ,4-3 DE/LB hybrid. The thing that makes Cush an elite prospect is that he has the size, speed, and skills to play in both a 4-3 or a 3-4.

Very true. I couldn't agree more.

A Perfect Score
08-09-2008, 03:50 AM
Rey will be drafted high simply because he is a beast, and deserves to be drafted high. Cushing is going to test through the roof and I see his draft stock making a huge jump after the combine/pro day. Hes like 260 and ran a 4.5 at the beginning of camp this year. Cushing is a freak, and because of that, he will go higher then his play justifies

BRAVEHEART
08-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Rey will be drafted high simply because he is a beast, and deserves to be drafted high. Cushing is going to test through the roof and I see his draft stock making a huge jump after the combine/pro day. Hes like 260 and ran a 4.5 at the beginning of camp this year. Cushing is a freak, and because of that, he will go higher then his play justifies

Maybe only SC fans know this...but..Cush is the better player. Rey will probably be drafted higher because of his Hitting Power (which is overrated and underrated at the same time), but (IMO) It's been obvious that Cush is the better player. Besides for destroying people and intimidating them , there is nothing Rey does better than cush. Rey has great strength and is naturally
big, but he's not as "strong" as Cush (trust me Cush is probably the strongest LB in the country and pushes crazy weight) and he's not as fast as Cush either. Even though Cush isn't an expert in coverage he's way ahead of Rey in that category. Cushing's most def the "smarter" player and wraps up better (It's not like rey has wrap up...but still...you know).

Oh, and last but not least Cushing is the better (and original) "Thongside" linebacker. I heard today that Rey got the pink thong from Cushing's locker in an interview yesterday. Cush is also better when speaking to the media. it's rare when rey is not saying "Um...we were just like...um..ya know...like that's how we...we won...ya know...um..yeah, ya know?"

But on a serious note Cush is mad underrated and rey is a tad overrated. They are both great and rare prospects that you don't see everyday. If they stay injury free this season lock them up for the first.

A Perfect Score
08-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Maybe only SC fans know this...but..Cush is the better player. Rey will probably be drafted higher because of his Hitting Power (which is overrated and underrated at the same time), but (IMO) It's been obvious that Cush is the better player. Besides for destroying people and intimidating them , there is nothing Rey does better than cush. Rey has great strength and is naturally
big, but he's not as "strong" as Cush (trust me Cush is probably the strongest LB in the country and pushes crazy weight) and he's not as fast as Cush either. Even though Cush isn't an expert in coverage he's way ahead of Rey in that category. Cushing's most def the "smarter" player and wraps up better (It's not like rey has wrap up...but still...you know).

Oh, and last but not least Cushing is the better (and original) "Thongside" linebacker. I heard today that Rey got the pink thong from Cushing's locker in an interview yesterday. Cush is also better when speaking to the media. it's rare when rey is not saying "Um...we were just like...um..ya know...like that's how we...we won...ya know...um..yeah, ya know?"

But on a serious note Cush is mad underrated and rey is a tad overrated. They are both great and rare prospects that you don't see everyday. If they stay injury free this season lock them up for the first.

I didnt mean to suggest that Cushing is a bad player. He certainly isnt. That said, I think that when all is said and done hes going to go rather high (top 20), and that wont be because of his game film alone. Some team is going to fall in love with a 260 lb LB who runs a 4.5 and puts 225 up 35 times.

thebow305
08-09-2008, 11:14 AM

I would agree with this assessment. Cushing is a Rare Rare prospect.

yourfavestoner
08-09-2008, 11:38 AM
There's something about Cushing's game that I don't like, and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it''s because he's not very "sudden" when he plays, you know. Like I said earlier, his game reminds me a lot of Bobby Carpenter's.

Bobby Carpenter was all the rave on these boards in 06, too.

Babylon
08-09-2008, 02:22 PM
There's something about Cushing's game that I don't like, and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it''s because he's not very "sudden" when he plays, you know. Like I said earlier, his game reminds me a lot of Bobby Carpenter's.

Bobby Carpenter was all the rave on these boards in 06, too.

I thought Carpenter was a little overrated and benefited from playing with AJ Hawk, since his injury he's been a little slow to come around but to be fair Dallas isnt a good fit for him. Cushing is a bigger,faster, more instinctive football player.