PDA

View Full Version : You can get in trouble form internet photos??

BeerBaron
08-09-2008, 09:56 AM
This whole Jimmy Clausen thing has gotten me a bit worried....

Can you really get in trouble, like an underage, from pictures of you holding alcohol online? If so I'm going to have to trash 3/4 of my facebook pictures....so I'm a bit rightfully concerned...

Anyone know for sure?

And if it is, thats honestly just absurd. You weren't caught actually doing it and for all they know, you just have a fetish of, say, drinking water out of empty beer cans.

iowatreat54
08-09-2008, 10:00 AM
in short....yes

depending on what happens, but like if your school has rules against being even near alcohol, then the pictures would get you in trouble with your school even if it's not illegal...if there are pictures of you holding/drinking alcohol, I'm pretty sure even if you claim it's like water that you might be able to get in trouble legally, but I'm not 100% positive

iworshipbender
08-09-2008, 10:01 AM
No, you can't. Not from the law anyway. Your employer has the right to terminate you for any reason though(as long as it's not based on race, or gender or who you're attracted to).

Brent
08-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Yes, you can get in trouble from internet pictures. In fact, there have been many people arrested for making threats about committing crimes. But I dont think underage drinking is one of those things.

BeerBaron
08-09-2008, 10:02 AM
in short....yes

depending on what happens, but like if your school has rules against being even near alcohol, then the pictures would get you in trouble with your school even if it's not illegal...if there are pictures of you holding/drinking alcohol, I'm pretty sure even if you claim it's like water that you might be able to get in trouble legally, but I'm not 100% positive

ok, so its more a school thing then? Thats not so bad....I'm not too concerned about that. I know of people who've gotten multiple underages and such and are still around.

I was more worried about the legal nature....last thing I need is to be woken up early one morning with some cops holding a picture of me with a beer asking questions. I didn't think they'd be allowed to do that but it wouldn't surprise me to much....

Gay Ork Wang
08-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Good thing i can drink alcohol with 16/18 years! Yay for german laws

BeerBaron
08-09-2008, 10:04 AM

ah to hell with your German laws.....we have these things called "angry ***** moms" over here that mess things like that up for us. (picture Kyles mom from south park times 100)

Those ladies scare the bejeesus out of me.

EvilMonkey
08-09-2008, 10:04 AM
i dont see how you can get in trouble with it unless you're pouring beer into your mouth and can see the can and beer coming out of it and flowing into your mouth. Otherwise what can be proven, "Oh, this picture was taken right after i picked up this empty can with plans to recycle it. Just trying to help the environment." I cant see how anyone could truly prove that isnt the case.

iworshipbender
08-09-2008, 10:05 AM
ah to hell with your German laws.....we have these things called "angry ***** moms" over here that mess things like that up for us. (picture Kyles mom from south park times 100)

Those broads are the same people who don't want their children doing the irresponsible things that they did when they were that age.

BeerBaron
08-09-2008, 10:06 AM
i dont see how you can get in trouble with it unless you're pouring beer into your mouth and can see the can, beer, and you drinking it. Otherwise what can be proven, "Oh, this picture was taken right after i picked up this empty can with plans to recycle it. Just trying to help the environment." I cant see how anyone could truly prove that isnt the case.

yeah, thats good. thats how my initial thoughts were but I wanted to see if anyone knew for sure.

iowatreat54
08-09-2008, 10:07 AM
yea, like I said, you definitely can get in trouble from an employer, school, ___ organization, but I do not know about legally...it would make sense that there is a possibility that you could get in trouble for underage drinking based on pictures, but idk if it necessarily is possible based on law now

Gay Ork Wang
08-09-2008, 10:08 AM
idk if u just have a bottle in ur hand, how can they prove u actually drank it?

iowatreat54
08-09-2008, 10:10 AM
idk if u just have a bottle in ur hand, how can they prove u actually drank it?

technically if you have a bottle in your hand and there's alcohol/"liquid" still in it, it is underage possession

Gay Ork Wang
08-09-2008, 10:10 AM
sucks for u then...

iworshipbender
08-09-2008, 10:11 AM
technically if you have a bottle in your hand and there's alcohol/"liquid" still in it, it is underage possession

And having a picture of it isn't illegal. Being caught while doing it on the other hand is.

BeerBaron
08-09-2008, 10:12 AM
I think I might start ripping off labels or pouring things into a cup. Pretend its just soda or iced tea if anyone should ever ask. Cause I'm looking through some of my pics and theres some where I could be like "yeah, its just a pepsi can" or something but some others......

Maybe thats why a lot of places offer the cups anyway...hmmm

iowatreat54
08-09-2008, 10:15 AM
And having a picture of it isn't illegal. Being caught while doing it on the other hand is.

well I'm not saying the pic, but a pic/documentation of the actual act I thought could be trouble, but maybe not?

and BeerBaron, are we talking about at like houses/parties or at like a bar? Because if the pictures are at a bar, it doesn't really matter what you "claim to be drinking" because not many people would believe you aren't drinking at a bar

iworshipbender
08-09-2008, 10:17 AM
well I'm not saying the pic, but a pic/documentation of the actual act I thought could be trouble, but maybe not?

and BeerBaron, are we talking about at like houses/parties or at like a bar? Because if the pictures are at a bar, it doesn't really matter what you "claim to be drinking" because not many people would believe you aren't drinking at a bar

I could post 500 videos of people smoking weed from youtube. I guarantee that none of them have been charged or even gone after solely based on that video.

Bills2083
08-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Didn't Clausen say that he went to Notre Dame for the attention, or something along those lines?

BeerBaron
08-09-2008, 10:26 AM

Well if your not 21, you can make the case that your just there to eat or something. I've eaten at a few bars, they tend to have pretty decent food. And in that instance, it might be more up the cops alley to investigate whether or not the bar is selling to underaged kids than it would be to go after the kid.

But I was talking mostly about house parties.

iowatreat54
08-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Well if your not 21, you can make the case that your just there to eat or something. I've eaten at a few bars, they tend to have pretty decent food. And in that instance, it might be more up the cops alley to investigate whether or not the bar is selling to underaged kids than it would be to go after the kid.

But I was talking mostly about house parties.

yea, I'm just saying it doesn't look good when you are in a crowded bar when everyone else is drinking, and most bars (at least college bars) don't offer food past like 10 pm...either way, it may not be illegal but you can still get in trouble with your school or employer regardless, so if you are looking for a serious job/internship, most companies have facebook accounts or even people working for them from your school so they can see your pictures and all that, so you prolly should clean up your account if you are in that situation

BeerBaron
08-09-2008, 10:33 AM
yea, I'm just saying it doesn't look good when you are in a crowded bar when everyone else is drinking, and most bars (at least college bars) don't offer food past like 10 pm...either way, it may not be illegal but you can still get in trouble with your school or employer regardless, so if you are looking for a serious job/internship, most companies have facebook accounts or even people working for them from your school so they can see your pictures and all that, so you prolly should clean up your account if you are in that situation

hmm, I'm not at that point just yet in my life and by the time I will be, I'll be over 21, so I'm not too too concerned from that perspective.

iowatreat54
08-09-2008, 10:39 AM
hmm, I'm not at that point just yet in my life and by the time I will be, I'll be over 21, so I'm not too too concerned from that perspective.

haha that's exactly how I look at it...still, when you are looking for a job you should prolly take off those pics anyway, if you still have facebook then, because employers may not like it...I've also read stories of people getting fired because one weekend they partied/drank, of age, and posted pics of them doing stupid things and the company saw them...so in general, once you approach the end of school it's prolly better if you don't have pics like that

iworshipbender
08-09-2008, 10:42 AM
haha that's exactly how I look at it...still, when you are looking for a job you should prolly take off those pics anyway, if you still have facebook then, because employers may not like it...I've also read stories of people getting fired because one weekend they partied/drank, of age, and posted pics of them doing stupid things and the company saw them...so in general, once you approach the end of school it's prolly better if you don't have pics like that

If you're really concerned about that, just set it so no one can see your profile outside of your friends. And don't add coworkers and schoolmates you don't know.

BeerBaron
08-09-2008, 10:47 AM

aye...thats something that i just hate about the "real world." As long as your not coming into work wasted out of your mind, they should have no business worrying about what you do outside of work. Same goes for stuff like drug testing...why should they care if your not influenced coming into work?

Sure you can use the whole "protecting the image of the company" or some crap like that but it's all pretty asinine if you ask me....they really have no right to know what you do outside of work imo.

Staubach12
08-09-2008, 11:00 AM
If you're worried about legality, I would advise you to chill. I've been to several parties where cops showed up, and just told us not to drive. The point? Cops really don't take underaged drinking that seriously. Cops are not going to take the time to go through people's facebooks looking for incriminating pictures. They have much bigger fish to fry.

As far as your school goes, unless you go to BYU, I really doubt they have the time or the interest to be tracking you down for that. Also, if you're worried about getting a job in the future, just remember that they're going to hire people based on how good they'll be for the company, not how stone-cold sober you are.

If you're still worried, just set your account to private.

BeerBaron
08-09-2008, 11:04 AM
If you're worried about legality, I would advise you to chill. I've been to several parties where cops showed up, and just told us not to drive. The point? Cops really don't take underaged drinking that seriously. Cops are not going to take the time to go through people's facebooks looking for incriminating pictures. They have much bigger fish to fry.

As far as your school goes, unless you go to BYU, I really doubt they have the time or the interest to be tracking you down for that. Also, if you're worried about getting a job in the future, just remember that they're going to hire people based on how good they'll be for the company, not how stone-cold sober you are.

right, I already set it to private just now, lol. But yeah, I was never really worried about the school, just the cops. If they really wanted to be dicks about it they could probably push teh issue, but even then I don't see them actually having solid enough evidence based off of what may or may not be a beer can in my hand.

iowatreat54
08-09-2008, 11:08 AM

well...
A. depends on what college you go to, because pretty much every school I've been to cops are dicks toward underage drinking 95% of the time

B. there have been many times that schools have used facebook to determine if students were involved in illegal activity, including underage drinking, especially athletes (I know that's not the case for general students)...and it has happened at Iowa, so I know it happens

C. there are companies that won't hire you because of the image you portray, regardless of your qualifications, because there is most likely other people out there just as qualified that don't have said "baggage" for lack of better words, so yes, they will not hire you based on things like this

CJSchneider
08-09-2008, 11:11 AM
The whole issue is very circumstantial. If I am 18, can I be arrested for images on the internet of me holding a beer can, NO. Those photos can be used as evidence to support a charge where the evidence is defined as such by said statutes. If I have signed any kind of morality clause in a work contract, then they could be grounds for termination.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-09-2008, 02:18 PM
ok, so its more a school thing then? Thats not so bad....I'm not too concerned about that. I know of people who've gotten multiple underages and such and are still around.

I was more worried about the legal nature....last thing I need is to be woken up early one morning with some cops holding a picture of me with a beer asking questions. I didn't think they'd be allowed to do that but it wouldn't surprise me to much....

Move to Canada BeerBaron. where I am the age is 19, but nobody gives a **** if you get drunk before that. At 18(or even 16 or whenever) you can cross the river and go to Quebec to buy anything you need.

Primetime21
08-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Go to paint and black it out.

Or you can just get rid of pictures since I am imagining your pictures looking this.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j65/christine0323/guidos.jpg

Addict
08-09-2008, 02:22 PM

actually it's european law.

Really the 21 year old drinking limit is an American thing, here in Europe, 18 is old enough.

Gay Ork Wang
08-09-2008, 02:23 PM
16 years for beer :P

Addict
08-09-2008, 02:26 PM
16 years for beer :P

here in holland it's 16 for anything < 13%
18 for everything else.

Shane P. Hallam
08-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Can you technically? Sure. Will you really get convicted? Probably not.

Also, it isn't like police are looking through facebook and crap to convict people. Reason being there are few pictures that they could actually arrest, and the crime isn't worth it. They would have to establish age, etc to do it.

Primetime21
08-09-2008, 02:29 PM
actually it's european law.

Really the 21 year old drinking limit is an American thing, here in Europe, 18 is old enough.

When I went on a school trip to Italy the bars served us when we were 14. I had a friend that was like 4'10 and all the bartenders would laugh their ass off when he drank.

Xonraider
08-09-2008, 02:46 PM
In Panama legal age for drinking is 18...
I've been doing it since I'm 13. Once a cop came to a party... gave him a six pack, and it was all good... lol

eaglesalltheway
08-09-2008, 02:55 PM
You will definitely not get in trouble for pics of alcohol online. Hell, if you can tell a cop that you are high without getting arrested, internet pictures of drinking underage are nothing. Yes you can tell a cop you are high as long as you don't have any of the "stuff" or memorobilia on you without getting taken away. Happened to two of by buddies. To make sure this post breaks no rules, that doesn't mean I condone underage drinking or any illegal substances...

TheBuffaloBills
08-09-2008, 02:57 PM
aye...thats something that i just hate about the "real world." As long as your not coming into work wasted out of your mind, they should have no business worrying about what you do outside of work. Same goes for stuff like drug testing...why should they care if your not influenced coming into work?

Sure you can use the whole "protecting the image of the company" or some crap like that but it's all pretty asinine if you ask me....they really have no right to know what you do outside of work imo.

I completely agree.

eaglesalltheway
08-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I completely agree.

But the probnlem with what BB says is there are the people that go to work drunk or stoned, and those are the ones that ruin it for the people that do the same things in the privacy of their home. The companies are trying to avoid the worst case scenario (employees coming in hammered) when they do those tests. It is unfair to the people that do those things in the privacy of their home, but to those that abuse those privelege, it is absolutley fair. Its like everything else, the very few a-holes ruin it for everybody else who isn't being too crazy.

Edit: Post 4K, it seems like only a week ago I had 3K...

Smokey Joe
08-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Hey BeerBaron, how old are you? I always thought you were older like in your mid 20's, but I guess not...

eaglesalltheway
08-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey BeerBaron, how old are you? I always thought you were older like in your mid 20's, but I guess not...

I'm pretty sure he is 20. I think I saw that his b-day was like a month ago or something and he turned 20. I'm not sure though...

BeerBaron
08-09-2008, 03:12 PM

Just turned 20 in June, so I have a little ways to go where I have to be worried yet, lol.

eaglesalltheway
08-09-2008, 03:16 PM
These are the months you have to be careful though, I know of a lot of people who got nailed for underage in the last half of 20.

ALD
08-09-2008, 03:24 PM

You had to wait til 16, you must look really young, I was in berlin the summer after I turned 14 and hit up some bars with my cousin.

BeerBaron
08-09-2008, 03:33 PM
These are the months you have to be careful though, I know of a lot of people who got nailed for underage in the last half of 20.

Aye, I'm going to stop about 3 months or so before my b-day to stay on the safe side. Luckily I have my own house at school next year and its back a pretty secluded alley....should be a nice place to have some fun