PDA

View Full Version : Lions Preseason thread (Thu 8/28 at Buffalo)

Maybe Next Year Millen2
07-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Some early views from Camp

Changes in running game are apparent
by Tom Kowalski
Thursday July 24, 2008, 11:45 AM
First impressions of Lions training camp ...

First things first. These observations are being made on just one practice so please keep that in mind.

• You can already see some changes in the running game by the individual drills that are being performed. In one of the drills, the linemen and tight ends are sharpening their fundamentals in backside (or offside) cutting in the running game. Because the players won't be cutting during team or 9-on-7 drills, it has to be done in the individual segment with practice dummies.

The other change is in the relatively simple halfback handoff with a fullback lead. In the past, the running back would simply follow the path of the fullback through the designated hole. Now, because of a change in how they're zone blocking, the fullback often breaks away and picks off a linebacker or safety while the running back darts in another direction.

• By the way, if the Lions get really good at their cutting techniques -- and have some success in running the ball -- you can bet there's going to be a fair amount of complaining from opponents -- just like the Broncos used to take a lot of heat. There's nothing illegal about what the Lions (or Broncos) are doing, but defenders hate it.

• The thing you notice immediately about rookie running back Kevin Smith is that he always keeps his head up, even in heavy traffic. He has excellent vision and he's always trying to find the escape route. There was a play in team drills when there was a lot of penetration up the middle and the defenders were in the backfield as quarterback Jon Kitna was handing the ball off to Smith. Smith, keeping his head up, took the handoff sideways to avoid the pressure and then skirted away to get a gain out of the play.

• Fullback Jon Bradley, who played at about 305 pounds last year, is down to 287 and looks a lot smoother. He's not exactly smooth yet, but he's smoother. Bradley, the former defensive lineman, said he's hoping to get down to 275 to improve his quickness and agility even more. He's not sure he'll get that low, but that's what he's shooting for.

• With Mulitalo on the PUP list, Frank Davis took over at left guard with the No. 1 unit. ... Stephen Peterman was the starter at right guard. ... Travis Fisher is still starting at cornerback (ahead of Leigh Bodden) but that's because Fisher ended last year as the starter there. Bodden is expected to move into the starting role at some point in camp.

• The one thing you notice immediately about the passing game is that the ball comes out of the pocket very quickly. And it's also very clear that Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson are going to be the main targets of most of those passes.

• I'm telling you, Devale Ellis has a great shot at beating out rookie fifth-round pick Kenneth Moore for that No. 5 receiver/kick return position. Granted, Moore hasn't had much time to make an impression -- and he's going to get it -- but Ellis has excellent speed and quickness and you can see that he knows the offense very well. It's going to be an interesting battle, but Ellis absolutely must stay healthy throughout camp. If he gets nicked up, it's going to hurt his case considerably. (By the way, I also think Brandon Middleton is good enough to play in the NFL, but it doesn't appear that he's going to get that opportunity this year in Detroit.)

• Rookie third-round pick Cliff Avril is spending most of his time at right defensive end but if he's going to be the No. 5 DE on the roster, he'll have to play both end positions. By the way, Avril isn't just a speed guy, he showed some muscle with a bullrush move. Smaller guys can be good with a bullrush when they learn how to set up a tackle and get him off-balance before they try to muscle him.

• In the one-on-one pass rush drill, it was obvious that Ikaika Alama-Francis has spent some time working on his inside counter moves. He still has a long way to go, but his technique is better. These one-on-one drills will be important for Alama-Francis because he has to build up some confidence with his pass rush.

I really hope Ikaika can win the starting Left End job. I have high hopes for him this year.

And DeVale Ellis must stay healthy if he wants to win the KR/5th WR spot. He probably has the most talent out of him Moore and Middleton.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
07-24-2008, 02:36 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Lions have signed Leigh Bodden to a four-year, $27 million extension.
Bodden didn't have an great season last year, but he is one of the better young cornerbacks in the NFL. He'll receive a $2 million signing bonus immediately, and a non-guaranteed $8.6 million bonus at the beginning of March. If he has a bad year the Lions could cut him, but odds are he'll earn the bonus and stay under Detroit's control through 2013.

Holy unexpected. Interesting way to do the contract. Very smart for once. 8.6 million bonus in 2009. He's locked up if he plays well and we if plays very poorly we are not tied down financially.

Obviously I hope he plays well and that means he'll be a Lion for a long time.

P-L
07-26-2008, 08:49 PM
We released Alfred Fincher and re-signed Teddy Lehman. According to rotoworld, Lehman was released by the Bucs after he wasn't considered one of the top 80 players at camp. Ouch.

WMD
07-26-2008, 09:19 PM
We released Alfred Fincher and re-signed Teddy Lehman. According to rotoworld, Lehman was released by the Bucs after he wasn't considered one of the top 80 players at camp. Ouch.

The only reason we re-signed him is because he is a former member of the Bucs.

Starvsnr
07-28-2008, 04:04 AM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/SPORTS01/80728005/1049/SPORTS01

That could of been bad.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
07-28-2008, 08:17 AM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/SPORTS01/80728005/1049/SPORTS01

That could of been bad.

Yikes. Thank goodness he is alright.

diabsoule
07-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Lions | Marinelli impressed by B. Davis
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:00:39 -0700

Nicholas J. Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said LB Buster Davis has been a beast. "He's been a beast," Marinelli said. "He's been here every day. I asked him to lose weight. He lost weight. He's thinner. He's moving well. He's got real good awareness. Boy, he's physical now. He's a physical player."

Do you guys think he could possibly start? If so, then where? SAM?

WMD
07-30-2008, 10:07 PM
This is becoming a joke. We signed ANOTHER FORMER BUC!! WR Taye Biddle. He won't do anything, but jeez.

Also, John Lynch is leaving the Broncos.. Former Buc? Check. Safety? Check. He definitely fits the mold of someone we're looking for.

ChezPower4
08-01-2008, 04:16 PM
This is becoming a joke. We signed ANOTHER FORMER BUC!! WR Taye Biddle. He won't do anything, but jeez.

Also, John Lynch is leaving the Broncos.. Former Buc? Check. Safety? Check. He definitely fits the mold of someone we're looking for.

You left out the fact that Lynch is old which seems to be prerequisite to get signed by the Lions.

Scotty D
08-04-2008, 10:57 AM
We signed former USC Safety Darnell Bing, as a linebacker. per rotoworld. Says he will play the WLB.

BcLion
08-04-2008, 11:18 AM
We signed former USC Safety Darnell Bing, as a linebacker. per rotoworld. Says he will play the WLB.

Hmm, Ernie Sims hurt worse then expected?

EDIT: Never mind about Ernie he is fine, turns out Lehman is already on the ijured reserve and we signed Bing to replace him.

Bclion

Addict
08-05-2008, 01:18 PM

Strange... he didn't play for the bucs... I don't understand.

And what is it with this team suddenly doing things Madden-style, moving safeties to OLB is an old madden trick for faster LB's, but come on, first Caleb Campbell and now Darnell Bing too?

Well I suppose since the Army ran over Campbell's dreams with a tank they needed a new S-OLB, but... it's weird.

d34ng3l021
08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Man. I cannot wait to watch Calvin Johnson this year. What a beast. I kind of wish we gave up alot to trade up for him. Oh well. We got Jamaal Anderson!

http://www.detroitlions.com/photos/Johnson_Body_070803.jpg

http://www.squibkick.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/calvin-johnson-end-around.jpg

WMD
08-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Man. I cannot wait to watch Calvin Johnson this year. What a beast. I kind of wish we gave up alot to trade up for him. Oh well. We got Jamaal Anderson!

http://www.detroitlions.com/photos/Johnson_Body_070803.jpg

http://www.squibkick.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/calvin-johnson-end-around.jpg

Ugh. That's what I was hoping for. I wanted to trade down to #8 and take Patrick Willis right there.. very badly. You guys had the picks and everything to do it too. Oh well. I'll settle on CJ.

familyguy555
08-07-2008, 09:01 PM
How'd the game go?

WMD
08-08-2008, 02:09 AM
How'd the game go?

Good. Calvin Johnson was great and Roy Williams looked good. Kitna was fine. Orlovsky looked solid. Stanton looked good and had a nice 15 yard run.

Defense was eh.. Cliff Avril looked like he was getting after the QB pretty good, but I don't think he got a sack. Andre Fluellen had a couple good plays. Jordon Dizon had a nice stop on 4th Down.

Gosder Cherilus had 2 False Starts and 1 Holding Penalty called against him from what I remember. He played quite a bit, too. I don't remember him giving up any sacks or getting the QB hurried, though.

The O-Line didn't do much to open up any holes for any of our RB's. Drew Stanton was our leading rusher with 26 yards. Our RB's combined for 65 yards on 27 carries, so.. there ya go.

I think the game is showing at 12:30PM Friday on the NFL Network, if anyone missed it.

Iamcanadian
08-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Wake me up when we get to the 4th exhibition game. That's about when we will get a real idea of what we have. The 1st 3 exhibition games are no more than an extention of training camp scrimmages. The 4th exhibition game begins the period where the starters actually play quite a bit after getting the rust out of their system and we begin to see how the starting lineup will unfold. Teams just pray they get out of the pre season without significant injuries.

Addict
08-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Ugh. That's what I was hoping for. I wanted to trade down to #8 and take Patrick Willis right there.. very badly. You guys had the picks and everything to do it too. Oh well. I'll settle on CJ.

having Willis last year would have been a godsend.

I was slightly woried by Cherilus' performance. He didn't look so good.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
08-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Wake me up when we get to the 4th exhibition game. That's about when we will get a real idea of what we have. The 1st 3 exhibition games are no more than an extention of training camp scrimmages. The 4th exhibition game begins the period where the starters actually play quite a bit after getting the rust out of their system and we begin to see how the starting lineup will unfold. Teams just pray they get out of the pre season without significant injuries.

The 3rd exhibition game is when the starters play the majority of time. Should be a good one against Shaun Rogers and Cleveland. The 4th game the starters will have very limited play.

So far we only really have one drive on offense(which we did very well) and 2 drives on D to evaluate and thats not enough to reach a conclusion on anything.

One game at a time with the Lions.

Scotty D
08-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Calvin is going to be scary good. It looks like hes doing everything in slo motion but hes actually at full speed. Makes the game look so easy.

BRAVEHEART
08-08-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm not worried about the Haitian Sensation. It was his first game and well...he popped his Cheri. physically he looked like he'll be able to man-handle dudes on this level and I heard on another site that he was doing pretty solid in run blocking (finishing plays, had a nice play making room for 24K) and that's the main stuff we need this off-season. Once he loses his Rookie jitters and matures, I can picture him being a very good Tackle (especially run blocking, which he already looks good at now).

What I am disappointed in is the lack of pressure/sacks. The coverage seemed better though, and I can tell that the combo of Kelly, Bhodden is better than anything we've had in awhile. Dovante Edwards and Greg blue need to be cut though.

WMD
08-09-2008, 03:12 AM
Calvin is going to be scary good. It looks like hes doing everything in slo motion but hes actually at full speed. Makes the game look so easy.

I think it was Desmond Howard who had a good line, he said that Calvin was "LeBron James in Shoulder pads". It just seems like you can throw it anywhere and CJ can get it.. He's pretty much taller and stronger than any CB out there.. he can run with the best of them and he can get higher up than any. I can't wait to see him fully healthy this year.

Addict
08-09-2008, 05:42 AM
I think it was Desmond Howard who had a good line, he said that Calvin was "LeBron James in Shoulder pads". It just seems like you can throw it anywhere and CJ can get it.. He's pretty much taller and stronger than any CB out there.. he can run with the best of them and he can get higher up than any. I can't wait to see him fully healthy this year.

yeah, Calvin's gonna be brutal. The only thing I'm really worried about is that damn line. Here's to hoping it holds together.

Defensively, I think we'll do a tiny little bit better than we're expected to, but the lack of true pass rush is just so painful.

WMD
08-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Stanley Wilson is done for the year. Let's hope this is the biggest hit we take all year as far as injuries go.

HithenamesTonyHomo
08-10-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/08/calvin_johnson_sits_out_practi.html

its just a leg bruise but still..i pray he stays healthy this year..we dont need another Charles Ouchers. Hopefully he'll just be out a few days.

Anyways, our preseason game against the Giants..well CJ and Roy looked really good. Kitna made one bad pass (behind R Williams) so thats a good sign. They said with Martz Kitna never really had a choice who to throw too because the plays were about timing and throwing the ball to the area a receiver should be. This time Kitna was actually just looking for open guys and thats why CJ and Roy both had receptions in this game.

Our O-line looked awful as usual. We can not run the ball. George Foster needs to be cut immediately! Start Gosder on the right side, even though he had some penalties, he was destroying the opposition in both the run game and passing game.

Kevin Smith looked ok..Artose Pinner looked like our best runningback which is a frightening sign.

Defense looked really good, Our first string defense surprisingly good (especially in pass coverage) And i was pleased with our linebackers even with Simms out. The D-line still needs to get a better pass rush but Avril did a pretty good job along with Fluellen.

Overall..not bad but not great.

BRAVEHEART
08-10-2008, 03:19 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/08/calvin_johnson_sits_out_practi.html

its just a leg bruise but still..i pray he stays healthy this year..we dont need another Charles Ouchers. Hopefully he'll just be out a few days.

Anyways, our preseason game against the Giants..well CJ and Roy looked really good. Kitna made one bad pass (behind R Williams) so thats a good sign. They said with Martz Kitna never really had a choice who to throw too because the plays were about timing and throwing the ball to the area a receiver should be. This time Kitna was actually just looking for open guys and thats why CJ and Roy both had receptions in this game.

Our O-line looked awful as usual. We can not run the ball. George Foster needs to be cut immediately! Start Gosder on the right side, even though he had some penalties, he was destroying the opposition in both the run game and passing game.

Kevin Smith looked ok..Artose Pinner looked like our best runningback which is a frightening sign.

Defense looked really good, Our first string defense surprisingly good (especially in pass coverage) And i was pleased with our linebackers even with Simms out. The D-line still needs to get a better pass rush but Avril did a pretty good job along with Fluellen.

Overall..not bad but not great.

Thank the lord it's just a bruise.

LonghornsLegend
08-10-2008, 03:28 PM
CJ is scary good, sometimes I watch him and its surreal almost, 6'5, 240, runs a low 4.3, jumps out of the gym, and it does look like he's almost moving in slow motion sometimes...Incredible, everything about him, I would be surprised if he doesn't have a 100/1500/15 season at some point in his career, fully healthy he is going to be unstoppable 1 on 1...With Roy still around, its going to make both their jobs easier, I agree with Martz gone it looks like more attention focused on those two in the passing game.

HithenamesTonyHomo
08-11-2008, 09:43 AM
it was about my first pre-season thoughts...WTF

Geo
08-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Merged in the preseason thread.

HithenamesTonyHomo
08-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Merged in the preseason thread.

oh ok, thanks

Scotty D
08-12-2008, 12:31 PM
So we offered Takeo Spikes 1.5 million and he turned us down. He would have played SLB for us. Really solidified the LB corps. Signing Spikes would have kept one of Lenon or Dizon in the middle. Now one will move over.

BRAVEHEART
08-12-2008, 07:03 PM
So we offered Takeo Spikes 1.5 million and he turned us down. He would have played SLB for us. Really solidified the LB corps. Signing Spikes would have kept one of Lenon or Dizon in the middle. Now one will move over.

I'm pretty cool without him. He would be a decent stop gap, but he does have injury concerns and he's not the same player he was at buffalo.

Prowler
08-12-2008, 07:50 PM
well, i guess it shows that he's not a real marinelli guy

Maybe Next Year Millen2
08-13-2008, 08:57 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/12/lions-offered-lecharles-a-deal/

Possible interest in LeCharles Bentley

WMD
08-18-2008, 01:11 AM
John Standeford has looked pretty good in the preseason to me. I hope he makes the team.

BRAVEHEART
08-18-2008, 02:39 AM
John Standeford has looked pretty good in the preseason to me. I hope he makes the team.

Yeah, Both he and Rudolph Hardy have been my (unkown) pre-season gems so far.

Scotty D
08-18-2008, 02:59 AM
That had to feel good for Kitna tonight. Watch the Lions pummel the man who pushed him out the door of Cincy and the organization as a whole.

Addict
08-18-2008, 08:25 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/12/lions-offered-lecharles-a-deal/

Possible interest in LeCharles Bentley

that would be great. He plays guard too, right?

That had to feel good for Kitna tonight. Watch the Lions pummel the man who pushed him out the door of Cincy and the organization as a whole.

he knew from the get-go Palmer would replace him, so I guess he's not harboring any hard feelings, but if he does yeah... last night must have been sweet.

LonghornsLegend
08-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Calvin Johnson is gonna catch at least 15 TD's if healthy, he looks like a man-beast and Leon Hall looked like a high school DB...Simply ridiculous, if Roy is going to be guarded by the #1 DB CJ is going to have a field day week in and week out.

Scotty D
08-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Calvin Johnson is gonna catch at least 15 TD's if healthy, he looks like a man-beast and Leon Hall looked like a high school DB...Simply ridiculous, if Roy is going to be guarded by the #1 DB CJ is going to have a field day week in and week out.

He is going to be special. I think they have finally figured out all they have to do is lob it up to him. On his TD last night it looked like he was jogging out there and had three Cincy DBs chasing his dust to the endzone.

Addict
08-18-2008, 02:17 PM
He is going to be special. I think they have finally figured out all they have to do is lob it up to him. On his TD last night it looked like he was jogging out there and had three Cincy DBs chasing his dust to the endzone.

Finally, a #2 overall receiver worth the money and worth the hype.

WMD
08-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Finally, a draft pick worth the money and worth the hype.

Just a little fix.

BRAVEHEART
08-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Finally, a #2 overall receiver worth the money and worth the hype.

And most importantly worth the name. It's rare when you have somebody live up to the name megatron.:D

Iamcanadian
08-19-2008, 12:41 PM
You have to remember that Cincy will challenge us for the worst defense in the NFL. Johnson looked sensational but so does almost every other WR who plays against Cincy's defense. They have no pass rush and are awful against the run. Lewis would have been fired by almost every other team except the Cincy owner won't pay 2 HC's at the same time so until Lewis's contract runs out, Cincy is stuck with him. Yes, there are other owners in Ford's class although Cincy's owner doesn't have anywhere near the financial resources of our beloved Ford.

familyguy555
08-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Yea but didn't he have a good game against the NY Giants.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
08-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Calvin looks beastly so far. Imagine if he was healthy last year. Health is my only concern right now in the pre-season. Well health and working out the kinks in the running game before Atlanta.

LonghornsLegend
08-21-2008, 09:13 AM
You have to remember that Cincy will challenge us for the worst defense in the NFL. Johnson looked sensational but so does almost every other WR who plays against Cincy's defense. They have no pass rush and are awful against the run. Lewis would have been fired by almost every other team except the Cincy owner won't pay 2 HC's at the same time so until Lewis's contract runs out, Cincy is stuck with him. Yes, there are other owners in Ford's class although Cincy's owner doesn't have anywhere near the financial resources of our beloved Ford.

Always count on you to bring in the negative aspect of something, no matter what the topic is :D I really don't think it matters if it was Cincy or Dallas or San Diego, CJ looks uncoverable at this point, and I agree its refreshing to see somebody earning their draft status and living up to the hype that he has had for some time...Lions front office deserves a hand clap for that selection, knowing Mike Williams and Charles Rogers bust previously, the pressure had to be mounting to not take a WR, just imagine how much flack they would of gotten had he sucked...He still has alot to prove no doubt, but if Roy does so happen to leave, I think this will be one of CJ's better seasons without seeing triple coverages, because if Roy leaves he can expect to see that for the rest of his career.

Iamcanadian
08-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Always count on you to bring in the negative aspect of something, no matter what the topic is :D I really don't think it matters if it was Cincy or Dallas or San Diego, CJ looks uncoverable at this point, and I agree its refreshing to see somebody earning their draft status and living up to the hype that he has had for some time...Lions front office deserves a hand clap for that selection, knowing Mike Williams and Charles Rogers bust previously, the pressure had to be mounting to not take a WR, just imagine how much flack they would of gotten had he sucked...He still has alot to prove no doubt, but if Roy does so happen to leave, I think this will be one of CJ's better seasons without seeing triple coverages, because if Roy leaves he can expect to see that for the rest of his career.

Excuse me if I lack your excitement but in my experience great WR's doesn't equal a winning team. IMO, he was a crummy pick and set this franchise back some again. Yes, I think he will be a great pro but we already had a #1 WR and we didn't need another one no matter how talented he was. NE won 3 Super Bowls with very average WR's, The Giants won last year without a true star at WR. What they both had in common was a franchise QB who could get the ball to their WR's when it counted and had great defenses to limit their opponents ability to score. We have neither of those.
I guess if your a Lion's fan who wants to believe we have a chance, then looking at Johnson will give you a warm feeling but IMO, we will never be a winning franchise with him on board as long as we have no franchise QB and a very weak defense.
In all my 55 years of following pro football, I have NEVER heard of a team rebuilding by drafting WR's, it is considered a secondary offensive position and Millen has used not 1 but four #1's on this position. It is beyond belief how many opportunities Millen has wasted to secure Williams and Johnson and the irony that we are now attempting to become a run first team where great WR's are hardly used is totally crazy. Yet there you are wanting to give Millen who made the selection a hand clap. You just don't get it, we are the complete laughing stock among pro football fans with about a zero chance of ever being competitive and if we played in a stronger Division, we'd be very lucky to average 2 to 3 wins a year. Even in this weak Division Millen has averaged 5 wins a year over a six year period and that is about what we can expect this year.
Yes, I'm negative about how Ford and Millen ruin this franchise year after year after year, we'll see how you feel in another 40 years after never seeing the Lions win a playoff game as they have done for the past 50+ years. But go on feeling warm about the Johnson pick because that is all you are ever going to get from Mr. Ford.
I'm sorry, I shouldn't be attacking you, your not too blame, but you hit a nerve and just got me going.

WMD
08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Well, so far Stanton has looked real good. He's our future at the QB position and could be our "Franchise QB".. and yeah, the defense is real weak. By the time Stanton develops into our full time starter, the unit should be better (with high draft picks). I don't think we're going to win real soon.. but in about 3 years, we should have a nice little team. We just need a lot more talent on Defense.

BRAVEHEART
08-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Well, so far Stanton has looked real good. He's our future at the QB position and could be our "Franchise QB".. and yeah, the defense is real weak. By the time Stanton develops into our full time starter, the unit should be better (with high draft picks). I don't think we're going to win real soon.. but in about 3 years, we should have a nice little team. We just need a lot more talent on Defense.

I still think stanton is/was a bad pick, and he won't be our QB for the future. But that's just my opinion.

WMD
08-21-2008, 07:39 PM
I didn't like the Stanton pick, or the Jordon Dizon pick.. but both have looked good in the Preseason.

Scotty D
08-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Stanton for 3rd down RB

Iamcanadian
08-21-2008, 11:37 PM
I still think stanton is/was a bad pick, and he won't be our QB for the future. But that's just my opinion.

Well the odds certainly favour you since only 1 second round drafted QB in the last 15 years has ever approached being a franchise QB. That equates to about a 1% chance that Stanton turns out to be a franchise QB and about a 3% chance he will be even a fairly solid NFL QB. With odds like that, I think putting your money on Stanton is about a million to one shot.
However those odds are minuscule compared to the odds that Matt Millen will ever put a winning team on the field. We have an owner who is a complete idiot and he hired a GM who is his equal.

BRAVEHEART
08-22-2008, 01:12 AM
I didn't like the Stanton pick, or the Jordon Dizon pick.. but both have looked good in the Preseason.

I wanted edwards...but that's just the way it is.

However those odds are minuscule compared to the odds that Matt Millen will ever put a winning team on the field. We have an owner who is a complete idiot and he hired a GM who is his equal.

Indeed, but I'll admit that I like the hiring of Rod, and I loved the fact that he kicked all the money suckers off of the team. I like the kind of aura that the team has now, I like the attitude.

WMD
08-22-2008, 02:39 AM
Indeed, but I'll admit that I like the hiring of Rod, and I loved the fact that he kicked all the money suckers off of the team. I like the kind of aura that the team has now, I like the attitude.

Missed one.

http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/NFL/Headshots/140x170/5465.jpg
6 Years. $40 Million. $15.5 Guaranteed.

BRAVEHEART
08-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Missed one.

http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/NFL/Headshots/140x170/5465.jpg
6 Years. $40 Million. $15.5 Guaranteed.

Atleast he's a money sucker who tries to help us win and for the most part gives us his all.

It's pretty sad knowing we were one pick away from getting Hutch instead. :(

Life is cruel.

jbombul
08-22-2008, 01:55 PM
stanton has a bad thumb and will be in a cast for 4 weeks.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-3-131/Another-setback-for-Drew-Stanton.html

certainly a setback, he was looking pretty good so far.

WMD
08-22-2008, 01:59 PM
stanton has a bad thumb and will be in a cast for 4 weeks.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-3-131/Another-setback-for-Drew-Stanton.html

certainly a setback, he was looking pretty good so far.

Jesus freakin Christ! God freakin Dammit! etc.

BRAVEHEART
08-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Jesus freakin Christ! God freakin Dammit! etc.

He wasn't gonna be the 2nd string QB anyway. Besides for one hailmary, he hasn't shown me anything that Orvlosky didn't do better (against better players aswell).

TacticaLion
08-22-2008, 07:02 PM
He wasn't gonna be the 2nd string QB anyway. Besides for one hailmary, he hasn't shown me anything that Orvlosky didn't do better (against better players aswell).Umm... besides the one hailmary? How about executing the bootleg? Or, using his feet to keep drives alive? Stanton led the team down the field to finish the Giants and scored 14 points to put the Bengals away. The more he plays, the more comfortable he's getting in the offense... and he's looking great as it is.

Dan-O has been given the majority of the snaps in the preseason thus far, but Stanton has made a much bigger impact. If I had a choice, I'd take Stanton.

Go Blue
08-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Dont know if you all saw it or not but we signed Drew Henson today......QB of the future!!!! lol

edit: just for good measure
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlM.oTdz7n05G7sOfoNAvtRDubYF?slug=ap-lions-henson&prov=ap&type=lgns

WMD
08-23-2008, 02:57 AM
Dont know if you all saw it or not but we signed Drew Henson today......QB of the future!!!! lol

edit: just for good measure
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlM.oTdz7n05G7sOfoNAvtRDubYF?slug=ap-lions-henson&prov=ap&type=lgns

Drew Henson?? We couldn't have signed Daunte Culpepper??

Addict
08-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Awesome. Our supposed QB of the future is mainly composed of sugar.

WMD
08-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Awesome. Our supposed QB of the future is mainly composed of sugar.

He's not homosexual.. he just gets injured a lot.

BRAVEHEART
08-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Umm... besides the one hailmary? How about executing the bootleg? Or, using his feet to keep drives alive? Stanton led the team down the field to finish the Giants and scored 14 points to put the Bengals away. The more he plays, the more comfortable he's getting in the offense... and he's looking great as it is.

Dan-O has been given the majority of the snaps in the preseason thus far, but Stanton has made a much bigger impact. If I had a choice, I'd take Stanton.

In the NFL you need your QB to pass the ball, and Orvlosky has been doing a better job at that hands down.

Brothgar
08-23-2008, 09:28 PM
I thought Stanton was a great pick when we picked him. For all his faults Mike Martz knows how to spot a QB. I think he is the future for the Lions at QB if he can stay healthy.

I'm excited about the position battles that have heated up. 1st and 2nd MLB are up for grabs between Lenon, Davis, and Dizon. The 5th WR is sttill up. 2nd RB and starting RT. I can't see the games I only get radio broadcast via the internet so I want to know who looked better in the games.

familyguy555
08-24-2008, 02:12 PM
I thought Stanton was a great pick when we picked him. For all his faults Mike Martz knows how to spot a QB. I think he is the future for the Lions at QB if he can stay healthy.

I'm excited about the position battles that have heated up. 1st and 2nd MLB are up for grabs between Lenon, Davis, and Dizon. The 5th WR is sttill up. 2nd RB and starting RT. I can't see the games I only get radio broadcast via the internet so I want to know who looked better in the games.

Cherilus looked good from what I saw. Calhoun also had a good game. He had a nice run for about 30 yards down the sideline. Didn't catch anyone else.

Addict
08-24-2008, 02:50 PM
He's not homosexual.. he just gets injured a lot.

lol no it's a dutch thing, we say it to indicate someone is fragile. Silly me for translating literally.

Xiomera
12-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Can someone unsticky this thread please?

Replace it with a thread about our GM/Coaching search . . .