PDA

View Full Version : What makes a player a bust?

L-Train79
08-09-2008, 08:42 PM
I was wondering what other people's idea of a bust is. Does he have to be a rookie? Does he have to be drafted in the first round? Would you guys consider Maurice Clarett a bust? He was drafted in the third round, but he didn't play to the level people thought he would. I like to think if a player doesn't get a contract extension is most likely a bust. Let me know what you think.

urinemonkey
08-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Maurice Clarett was a bust because he contributed absolutely nothing except a negative, laughingstock image to the Broncos. He was a complete waste of a 3rd round pick, making him a bust in my book. My broad definition of a bust would be a guy who you gave up something substantial for but you never get the return on that investment for whatever reason. A guy who comes in with high expectations but never lives up to them. That's a bust. It doesn't even have to be a rookie, if you sign a FA to a large contract, or trade a high pick for a player, but said player never lives up to the contract or compensation, then that player is a bust.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 09:04 PM
I was wondering what other people's idea of a bust is. Does he have to be a rookie? Does he have to be drafted in the first round? Would you guys consider Maurice Clarett a bust? He was drafted in the third round, but he didn't play to the level people thought he would. I like to think if a player doesn't get a contract extension is most likely a bust. Let me know what you think.

Well, it doesn't have to be a rookie. Say your team signed a big free agent and he failed miserably - that's still a bust. To bust means to just not produce to your expectations. You really can't be a big bust if you're a fourth or fifth round pick because people don't really like your odds to develop into a star. If you're a first/second round pick, if you're not starting after three or four years, or you're bouncing around teams, you're probably a bust.

CJSchneider
08-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Well, it doesn't have to be a rookie. Say your team signed a big free agent and he failed miserably - that's still a bust. To bust means to just not produce to your expectations. You really can't be a big bust if you're a fourth or fifth round pick because people don't really like your odds to develop into a star. If you're a first/second round pick, if you're not starting after three or four years, or you're bouncing around teams, you're probably a bust.

I don't completely agree. If it were true, we'd only have 3 rounds of a draft. A 4th-7th rounder is still expected to produce. If they produce nothing at all they are a bust. I'd say it's more like a spectrum; if you are in the red (produce nothing to far less then your expected to) look out. If you're above that you are in the green.

etk
08-09-2008, 09:37 PM
The easiest response would be....cut early or failed to register an impact. It gets more complicated when you talk about high round picks who played often with mixed results.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't completely agree. If it were true, we'd only have 3 rounds of a draft. A 4th-7th rounder is still expected to produce. If they produce nothing at all they are a bust. I'd say it's more like a spectrum; if you are in the red (produce nothing to far less then your expected to) look out. If you're above that you are in the green.

Well, it also depends on the team, I guess. For me, being a Patriots fan, I probably have much lower expectations of a sixth or seventh-round pick than your average team's fan, because the Patriots already have 90% of their roster set before the draft. Does that make sense? For example, New England's roster is already loaded going into the draft lately, so they don't have as many spots where late-round picks can realistically fit in.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-09-2008, 11:19 PM
I think that the term bust carries enough significance that it should really be applied conservatively. It's pretty hard to really gauge some sort of general expectation for each player, except that the earlier a guy is drafted the better he's expected to be. Personally, I only use the term bust when discussing guys who were either spectacular failures or who exited the league with remarkably little fanfare surprisingly quickly. Injuries may cause a team's hope for a player to bust, but I don't really think it fair to refer to the player as such.

The general expectation for each position in each part of the draft is unique, but simply failing to live up to that shouldn't warrant getting the bust label.

Malaka
08-09-2008, 11:32 PM
It is all about hype and expectations, and if they don't live up to those then they are considered a bust. For example, Brian Bosworth, all in all was a decent player but was a bust because he didn't live up to the hype he brought upon himself, by creating "Boz" and he did free up other players on the line of scrimmage and was a pretty decent tackler, but he will just be remembered for the cologne, the hair, the hype, the averageness, those things and the fact Bo Jackson just trucked him so nasty, and embarrassed him.

Another example is Tony Mandarich, supposedly the best LT prospect ever, when that statement came out it was all the hype he needed to become a bust. He had the strength, but his footwork was terrible, he looked awful for the packers, but few people know that during his hiatus from football, he went to Venice beach and worked with bodybuilders, and then returned to the NFL, as the starting Guard for Indianapolis Colts for the one and only Peyton Manning.

Both never became what they were expected to be, they just became average, and are busts not because of how bad they played but not living up to the expectations. There is also people who bust because of lack of determination or even skill itself. Troy Williamson had the speed, but never had the hands. Ryan Leaf, had the arm, and even accuracy, but was a terrible decision maker and quickly he was no longer interested in football but in golf (He now is an assistant Golf coach at a college I forget). There are many more who just lacked the skill or just were not into the game, and ruin themselves with drugs, or their attitude, Rashaan Salaam, Maurice Clarett etc.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-09-2008, 11:49 PM
I think that someone is a bust only if they fail miserably. For instance: Reggie Bush, even if he continues his mediocre path is not a bust, just a major disappointment.

StrongSide97
08-10-2008, 09:44 AM
I think that someone is a bust only if they fail miserably. For instance: Reggie Bush, even if he continues his mediocre path is not a bust, just a major disappointment.

With the expectations that Reggie Bush had coming into the NFL, he has to be labeled a bust if he were to even continue with his mediocre path. He came into this league being compared to players like Gale Sayers and Marshall Faulk. He may still be a mediocre player, but everyone knows that he should have been one of the best players in the league for years.

BTW, I think he'll eventually come around and be a consistent playmaker. If not this year, then next year.

CJSchneider
08-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Well, it also depends on the team, I guess. For me, being a Patriots fan, I probably have much lower expectations of a sixth or seventh-round pick than your average team's fan, because the Patriots already have 90% of their roster set before the draft. Does that make sense? For example, New England's roster is already loaded going into the draft lately, so they don't have as many spots where late-round picks can realistically fit in.

I can honestly say that was a suprise answer. I would think late round picks have even more pressure in the Pats organization. I recall some really good QB being drafted in the 6th round by the Pats a few years ago.

etk
08-10-2008, 06:53 PM

I agree. Reggie Bush is a disappointment, not a bust, although I label him a bust from time to time for the impact of the word and because I'm a Bucs fan :).

Cigaro
08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
A bust is someone who ended up not being worth the investment that was made on them by a large margin.